Indian Autos Thread -2

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Chandragupta
BRF Oldie

Indian Autos Thread -2

Post by Chandragupta »

Link to the previous thread -

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3910&start=3960
(Last Page)
nachiket wrote:
Chandragupta wrote: Thanks arshyam guru for the insights. Had another look at Altis, Jetta, Octavia & even the new Verna. I seem to have missed the totally atrocious interiors of the new Altis. They're ridiculously bad for a car that costs 17L on road. I checked out the new Verna just for the heck of it, loaded to the hilt with all kinds of features and no doubt a great option for a smaller sedan, may be I'll replace one of my hatchbacks with it later this year, god willing. Anyway, so I have more or less zeroed in on the Jetta diesel. Feels like a beast, I say it again because it is a badass tough car with excellent ride quality. Hope to close it in a couple of days will report on my initial experiences here.
If you were considering the Corolla and Jetta, why did you see the Verna? You should have checked out its larger sibling, the Elantra. It has equal if not more interior space than the Corolla and looks better as well. Hyundai's after-sales service in India is pretty solid. Much better than VW anyway.
I was looking at Verna in case I could not zero in on a car in the higher segment and had to drop down a segment to buy a Verna/City. I have driven the new Elantra extensively (a close friend has it) and did not find it comparable to Jetta (or Octavia) in terms of the driving experience (it has the same engine as Verna) or the ride quality. One thing that it has going for it is the number of features it comes packed with but on the road it feels light & does not inspire much confidence unlike the Jetta specifically which feels very heavy yet rides like a dream.

In a fight between Toyota Corolla and Elantra, I have no doubt that Elantra will come out tops but I don't think either of them compares to the German cars.
kenop
BRFite

Re: Indian Autos Thread -2

Post by kenop »

Had a brief look at Duster at the local showroom.
It was just window-shopping moment as I am at least a year away from making a real move.
Rejected outright due to it being too large for a 5-seater unless the available boot space is the most important consideration, looks being the second one.
The handle looked too cheap for a vehicle so expensive. What's with using cheapo stuff. I keep hearing about these cost-cutting approaches being employed by the manufactures ? does it cost too much to have a solid handle ? In some reviews Mahindra XUV is also reported to have such "fragile" door handles.
In fact, SHQ is quite inclined towards XUV after her own reviews (she gets to sit in almost all types of cars as transport to social events is mostly shared and being a license-holder-no-driver she gets chauffeured around)
May get a test ride if the sales guy calls up and fixes one. He looked quite uninterested and may have made up his mind to let the opportunity pass (he asked me about ny current ride, 20y old Maruti Zen, and also had a good look at my chappals).
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

kenop wrote:Had a brief look at Duster at the local showroom.
It was just window-shopping moment as I am at least a year away from making a real move.
Rejected outright due to it being too large for a 5-seater unless the available boot space is the most important consideration, looks being the second one.
The handle looked too cheap for a vehicle so expensive. What's with using cheapo stuff. I keep hearing about these cost-cutting approaches being employed by the manufactures ? does it cost too much to have a solid handle ? In some reviews Mahindra XUV is also reported to have such "fragile" door handles.
In fact, SHQ is quite inclined towards XUV after her own reviews (she gets to sit in almost all types of cars as transport to social events is mostly shared and being a license-holder-no-driver she gets chauffeured around)
May get a test ride if the sales guy calls up and fixes one. He looked quite uninterested and may have made up his mind to let the opportunity pass (he asked me about ny current ride, 20y old Maruti Zen, and also had a good look at my chappals).

understand that the nissan terrano and the renault duster are built on identical chassis and the differences if any are merely cosmetic in nature with the terrano compulsorily being costlier per agreement between the manufacturers and also since the renault was the first mover in this particular segment compared to nissan.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

People considering a Duster checkout Ford Ecosport it is in comparison a far better put product in every aspect. Come 2016 people looking for stuff in this segment will have more options because both Maruti and Hyundai are supposed to launch at least one product in this segment .
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

Ah, at the risk of replying to a post that is already over a month old, I would humbly suggest kenop ji to at least re-consider the Duster/Terrano twins and take a test ride if not done so already. So here's my (unsolicited!) 2 cents on the topic.

Your observations about the Duster are indeed spot-on and the vehicle does come across as quite cheap as far the quality of the interiors and the level of insulation in terms of NVH are considered. But on the flip side, if you are out looking for a crossover/SUV in the 10L-13L OTR price range, there really is no viable option and it ends up being the default choice for most.

Compared to the Scorpio whose lower variants are in the exact same range or the entry-level variants of the XUV 5OO (W4 trim)/Safari Storme, Duster (or the Terrano) are far more easy to live with as a daily driver and also more affordable. Plus the fact that it shares most of its drive-train with components with a whole host of cars already on the road today is a further source of solace - the ubiquitous Renault K9K 1.5L diesel in various guises is the same engine which powers the entire Renault range in India (Duster, Lodgy, Pulse, Scala, Fluence, Koleos, the erstwhile Logan/current Mahindra Verito) plus the Nissans (Terrano, Micra, Sunny, Evalia) and even the (soon to be dead?) Ashok Leyland Stile MUV. The engine despite having modest BHP figures is very drivable and reliable (read old and low-tech :mrgreen: ), and I have personally seen Logan cabs having clocked 500,000 kms and still running smoothly.

The Duster, especially in its lower powered (and cheaper) 85HP variant makes the most sense if you are somehow willing to overlook the cheap plasticky interiors - its engineered pretty solidly, drives and handles really well for an SUV, can take a bit more punishment than your typical sedan/hatch, gives fantastic real world mileage (14-17kmpl is what my friends are reporting), largely car-like to own/maintain (meaning cheaper than say a Scorpio/Safari which is most likely to return 10-12kmpl and need more frequent maintenance) and has decent road presence.

In other words, I personally feel its a more gradual and enjoyable step up for a hatch/sedan user than the real heavies like Scorpio/Safari or from a much smaller sub-4m vehicle like the Ecosport. If you want (slightly) better interiors and don't mind a fairly steep markup, try out the Terrano.

Oh, and BTW, launch of facelifted versions of both XUV 5OO and Safari Storme is probably just days/weeks away. People are also expecting a mild refresh of the Ecosport (rumoured to lose the spare wheel mounted on the back door among other minor changes) to be launched fairly soon. So please factor those in as well.

And yeah, sorry for the long rant :D
kenop
BRFite

Post by kenop »

Thanks Manishji for the informative piece. It makes sense.
I am driven by heart most of the times and at critical junctures. So, had a soft corner for Duster for some time.
Was trying to use logic at this stage ;-)
It would have been a much easier decision if Duster was a 7 seater. The boot volume is much too large to be of use on a normal day. Having an option to use the volume with folding seats would be fantastic (helpful in ignoring some shortcomings). It may translate into a longer vehicle. All that is homework for the designers if they are reading.
On the components, it is most of the time the smaller ones that matter. On a typical visit for service/repair larger components are not replaced (maybe smaller parts of a larger assembly if it comes to that). If the engine was same across a range of vehicles it does not necessarily translate into parts being of the same family (and hence similar repair/service bills). I understand that margins on parts/service etc is an area where manufacturers are happy to play.
My plans are in the range of a year or so. I hear that more options will thrown up by the market as we go along.
kenop
BRFite

Post by kenop »

Renaault launches compact hatchback kwid
NEW DELHI: Taking on Maruti Alto and Hyundai Eon, Renault India on Wednesday unveiled compact hatchback Kwid. The new car from Renault India's stable is likely to be priced between Rs 3-4 lakh.

The car will be manufactured at the Renault-Nissan joint venture plant in Oragadam, Chennai, and launched in the Indian market in the September and November, reported Indianautosblog.com. The Renault Kwid bears the name of the concept car that the company unveiled at the Auto Expo 2014.

At the unveiling, Renault-Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn said, "This car will be a game changer for Renault in India."
With SUV cues, the Kwid's exterior design exudes strength and reliability with the short overhangs and high ground clearance, Indianautosblog.com said. Renault says the Kwid will come with MediaNAV - that has radio, Bluetooth, navigation functions accessed via a 7-inch touchscreen - a first in segment.

The Renault Kwid will be launched in India first, developing markets next, global markets later. Kwid will have a three-cylinder 800cc engine which has been developed under Renault-Nissan alliance.

The hatchback is based on Renault-Nissan's CMF-A platform. Nissan is also planning to launch a compact hatchback under the Datsun brand named Redi Go which would share the engine.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_r ... s_of_India
On June 1, 2005, the Government of India had amended rule 50 of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989, mandating introduction of new tamper proof High Security Registration (HSRP) number plates.[7][8] All new motorised road vehicles that came into the market after that needed to adhere to the new plates, while existing vehicles had been given two years to comply. Features incorporated include the number plate having a patented chromium hologram,[7] a laser numbering containing the alpha-numeric identification of both the testing agency and manufacturers and a retro-reflective film bearing a verification inscription "India" at a 45-degree inclination. The characters are embossed on the plate for better visibility. The letters "IND" were printed in a light shade of blue on the observers left side under the hologram.[7] However it has yet to be implemented since the various state Governments has not yet appointed an official source for manufacture of these plates,[9] due to a disputes which is currently in various Indian courts.[8][9] On 8 April 2011 the Supreme Court of India summoned the transport secretaries of Delhi, Punjab and Uttar Pradesh for contempt of court proceedings regarding nonenforcement of the high-security registration plates.[10] The Supreme Court on 30 November 2004, had clarified that all states had to comply with the scheme.[10] Currently all of North East including Assam, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Jammu and Kashmir, West Bengal, Karnataka and Goa are the only states which have complied in full. The states of Bihar, Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Chattisgarh, Odisha and Maharashtra have not proceeded after having called tenders.[10] Besides these states some of the other states have also taken action to implement the new scheme.[10]
They are now strictly enforcing this requirement. My folks tell me that they got a ticket (Rs 800) for not having this. I bought the vehicle in 2006 in Kochi and the number plate is still the old one. How does one go about getting a new one, if not residing there. Can someone just take the old plates and get it changed at the local RTO office ?
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

With Hyundai S cross and Creta due to be launched, the lot at T-BHP are waiting for charity from Hyundai and Maruti.

For eg. they want Maruti to price the base version DDIS 200 S Cross at 7.1 laacs ex showroom and Top end 1.6 at 10.5 Lacs ex showroom.

My take, the base S Cross has more features and top end has a lot of Bells and Whistles which say the Ciaz does not have, all have bigger tyres, heavier, costlier suspension than Ciaz for crossover/ SUV/ Hatch and the 1.6 engine is fully imported.

Ciaz Diesel is 8.26 to 10.31 ex Delhi, a logical person would expect S-Cross to 1.3 engine, 8.94 lacs to 11 lacs ex showroom Delhi and 11.25 to 12.5 lacs ex showroom for 1.6 in Delhi.

Similarly Creta should be 8.99 lacs Ex Delhi to 13 Lacs Ex Delhi.

Waiting for especially the Bengaluru based T-BHP forum members(where prices are Highest in India) to start crying once the prices are out without considerations to the Costs, Taxes and Margins which are being shelled out.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ S cross is from Maruti's premium stable (forget what they call it ) so forget about it being cheap it will be priced at least same as Ecosport if not more . S-cross and Creta are not a sub 4 meter vehicles so they will not enjoy same tax rebate as Ecosport so practically unless they skimp on margins and features there is no way they can sell this for cheap.

Interior space wise and for city use Jazz is the best car however one look at our roads and one realizes why everyone wants a 180mm or higher GC vehicle , SUV looks also lend you road presence and help push the moth like two wheelers at a safer distance who somehow have a tendency to come really close to the wheels of a hatchback or low slung sedan.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

i guess it funeral time for the renault duster.
ecosport at lower end.
creta and s-cross at higher end.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

why is that xuv500 does not come with an auto trans? this is one vehicle that interests me for desh ops
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Auto transmission is still not a common thing in India because: i) They cost more; ii) They are less fuel efficient than manual transmission.
From what I have seen, cars beyond 20L have AT across the range.
Last edited by Karthik S on 14 Jul 2015 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

there is a inflection point approaching where AT will be commonly available in cheaper cars ... right now only brio, i10 and celerio has it.
esp women find AT convenient. most people do not have long US style commutes so the differential cost of fuel is not so great to pinch
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

SaiK wrote:why is that xuv500 does not come with an auto trans? this is one vehicle that interests me for desh ops

I had checked it out when launched and at that time it had an Auto Transmission version. But the price was in the 15 lakh range.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

AT will , they will form like the scooter market 35-40% of all 4 cars sold in the next 10 years.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

AT the cost of repeating myself, why does the T-BHP crowd, which considers itself the most knowledgeable amoungst Indians(see a lot of contempt in the posts on Mango Inddians) think the 1.6 VTVT Creta will be priced 7.9 ex showroom when Verna 1.6 VTVT starts at 8.81 lacs ex Delhi. The 1.4 Verna Diesel starts at 9.02 lacs ex Delhi.

How do the expect a Vehicle which SUV build- more costlier to manufacture, higher taxes with more premium features to be sold cheaper.

Do they think Hyundai is a charity shop who will close down I20 Active and Verna lines. Even I20 Active base is 7.1 Lacs ex Delhi, just adding the addition Excise with resultant Additional VAT and Life Tax will take thee cost more than 7.9 lacs.

Waiting for major Rona Dhona there after Creta prices and then all hopes on Maruti doing charity with S Cross.

Where again Ciaz VDI (base) is 8.26 lacs Ex Delhi and Ertiga VDI(a car which should much more cheaper to manufacture) is 8.06 lacs Delhi.

Somehow, I feel many who have booked based on aspiration without doing hard thinking will sulk and finally buy an I20, Ciaz, Ertiga after realising automotive companies are not NGO's?

What really gets my goat is many of the posters throwing contempt on others on how Team-BHP sticker persons are the ones who know how to drive etc, are the same like all of us or worse in knowledge.

I think what Hyundai and Maruti are doing is trying to get bookings to declare the model as a hit, from past experience if a model is declared as a hit many more people buy it for the preceived resale value.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Some ammo while fighting Hinduphobia in US and keeping Mahindra in thoughts only while buying:

Indian automaker outsources to Detroit
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Hmm, Hyundai Creta prices are out and as usual some so called experts are shocked that Hyundai is not a charity org. Now all how in Maruti pricing its S Cross so low that it shuts down the market for Ertiga and Ciaz.
kenop
BRFite

Post by kenop »

Aditya_V saheb do you have posting rights on the said forum ? I applied for membership a few months ago. Wasn't found suitable. You are right about their attitude I think.
The eggzperts seem really surprised with the rates.
I had got an estimate of about 9L from somebody. He was of the view that with i20 Hyundai has increased confidence and are not going to play the cost game. I have a feeling that this segment has just opened up and so there is not much pressure on anybody to get into price wars. Another factor could be that these machines are much more about looks/image etc so if a models is fine on looks (besides not being a total crap as a vhicle) it will make it past the other one. The real SUVs are real SUVs.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Don't talk about TBHP membership rules here lest mods here get an idea and implement the same here.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Maruti overtakes Japanese parent Suzuki in market value
MUMBAI: Maruti Suzuki has achieved a feat no other Indian company with a foreign parent has ever done. The nation's No. 1 automaker has outgrown Suzuki Motor in market value. Maruti's stock surged 65% in the past year, swelling its market capitalisation to $19.73 billion (Rs 1.26 lakh crore) based on Tuesday's closing stock price of Rs 4,158.80 on the Bombay Stock Exchange. Japanese parent Suzuki is valued at $19 billion. Maruti has recently also ousted Tata Motors as India's most valuable automotive company.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Kenop, Tried sometime back and was rejected once, was no real reason so just browse. Some of their Travelogues, Route Queries, Official reviews etc of cars are very good. But some of opinions are what to say just WTF.

Joined the automotive India forum to post purely auto related comments.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

hyundai creta looks way better than renault duster both exterior and esp the interior. for 10-12L it will eat into honda city, vw vento, corolla and hyundai verna sales also. honda needs a xover offering and mobilio is not it.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

I am actually glad that TBHP elites denied me a memebership , imagine spending time on BRF and couple of tennis forums and then TBHP, KB would fire me for non productivity. :mrgreen:
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

Aditya_V wrote:Kenop, Tried sometime back and was rejected once, was no real reason so just browse. Some of their Travelogues, Route Queries, Official reviews etc of cars are very good. But some of opinions are what to say just WTF.

Joined the automotive India forum to post purely auto related comments.
Saar, those cretins in Team-bhp are subpar below mediocricity. Sometimes back I read a post about how a member uses the same fuel pump machine, on the exact same time of the day to fill up petrol so that he gets to know the most accurate mileage readings. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Most of the posts barring the travelogues and technical section comprise only of a$$kissing the mods, boast about their possessions and whine about non-existence of abs, 15" tyres and alloy wheels on entry level cars.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

ASG Khan- > Agree, but enough posts on those guys, some good with bad.

On the other hand, I think Creta is good vehicle and is priced for what it offers.
Last edited by Aditya_V on 24 Jul 2015 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

I have never liked the curvy design language of Hyundai of late even maruti and Honda have gone down the same route , for SUVs I always thought old range rover was a classic template to go by , Toyota land cruiser and in desh likes of Pajero and even Safari are nice models to emulate, in the compact SUV segment until now Ecosport to me has been the best of the lot. The Creta front grill looks very similar to Maruti's Celerio . Same with Ciaz copying 2015 Honda city's tail light layout and behind.
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

Two problems I hope are resolved.

1. Boat like ride quality
2. Steering issues (having tick tick sound)
Dumal
BRFite

Post by Dumal »

TBHP may have had a problem of too many members resulting in their raising the bar or effectively shutting down new additions even though they still get people to write essays. Last year I had good success whittling down dealers quotes of 10K, 15K etc for RTO registration and miscellaneous charges while all legitimate charges together may not exceed 1K. After negotiating the best deal possible, I was able to bring down this 10K charge to just 1.5K. I wanted to share this experience in TBHP so that there is more awareness of this scam as well as hopefully more consumers pushing back. But no luck getting through the gatekeepers!
kenop
BRFite

Post by kenop »

Rambling alert:
About 10 years ago there was Hyundai Santro and Swift. A couple of years later, Santro curves started becoming like those of Swift and vice-versa.
Such is the design approach. There are fashions/trends that come and go. Movement of personnel between the design teams leading to such cross pollination of concepts/ideas cannot fully describe this phenomenon. Some of the auto manufacturers allow their design to go with the flow and do not persist in their own framework. Those in the low end seem to take this approach. The higher end (Merc, Range Rover etc) ones persist with their philosophies.
Ecosport and Duster haven't been honoured by copies yet. I expect that to happen some time soon.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Hmmm, yup its scary as we move into age of DSG, Electronic accelarator and electronic brakes. Wonder if Drive by Wire is such a good thing.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

in a restrictive regime, maruti taking over is no big news.. it was a big time monopoly, and got the initial market. people have learned to live with it, and they have established the dealer networks ahead.

i'd still rate maruti cars among the riskiest cars to live with.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

S Cross launched at pretty VFM prices, but the same crowd is now on Rhona Dhona mode as Maruti didnt do charity. THe DDIS 200 Sigma. Delta are VFM prices.
kenop
BRFite

Post by kenop »

Well comments on repairs/part-replacement (for whatever reason) on this page had some sobering effect on my VW-inclinations.
https://www.facebook.com/Volkswagenindia
Maruti Suzuki should be the best on this aspect.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Kenop-> some of the comments reactions are a bit extreme.

VW is more expensive to maintain the Marutis yes, but thier car quality and Build quality is good. Maruti cars sold in India use different materials than similar models sold internationally especially in the body structure doors etc. This generally results in lower cost to produce, lesser Kerb weight. So hence, more VFM pricing, better KPL numbers, lesser stress on Engine, suspension etc, leading to lower cost of ownership at the cost of Safety. Even Maruti Chairman RC Bhargava also.

Thats why the car test ratings of their Indian swift and international swift differ significantly.

Some customers in India have rather outlandish demands coupled with poor driving and maintainence skills.

I think Negi on this forum has a good opinion based on the 1.2 P Polo he owns.
sampat
BRFite

Post by sampat »

VW is money pit. I would never go for another VW or Audi.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

kenop wrote:Well comments on repairs/part-replacement (for whatever reason) on this page had some sobering effect on my VW-inclinations.
https://www.facebook.com/Volkswagenindia
Maruti Suzuki should be the best on this aspect.
Helloo which part ? VWs heavy build quality comes at a price , I settled a INR 12k claim for just fixing a bent fender and touch up .

Anyways everyone is different , if one gets fixated on a ride then you will buy it , then things like expensive oil changes (due to synthetic oil and high service charges) or say even paying twice the amount for a broken ORVM when compared to say i10's ORVM won't deter one from buying a car be it VW or any other make .

I think Honda has managed to strike an excellent balance between fuel economy, power and build quality. VWs are good until you have to repair or fix something for leave the parts the friggin paint itself is expensive.

If in future I have enough disposable income to justify a luxury car then I will buy a Lexus (hopefully they come to India and put an end to the existing German monopoly) .

My comprehensive insurance for Polo in it's second year is INR 19.5 k (I had one claim because of a slight brush with an Innova) and if I am not wrong this is in Honda city or Verna range all this for a piddly hatchback.
chaitanya
BRFite

Post by chaitanya »

Mexico set to become the biggest export market for Indian carmakers this fiscal

I was in mexico earlier this year, and was pleasantly surprised to see bajaj autos and pulsars there. Talked to some of the locals and it seems like they really like the bajaj vehicles for their cost and reliability :)
kenop
BRFite

Post by kenop »

One of the posts mentioned a cylinder head replacement reaching ~2L. Was mentioned that it had to done on a < 1y old car. The poster also suspected it really did not require a replacement. Read a mention of clutch assembly replacement touching Rs 45000.
It is clear that such expenses fall on the less fortunate and the total number of such cases will be minuscule. Those who get hurt do get hurt badly.