2015 FIDE World Youth & Cadets Chess Championship

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

2015 FIDE World Youth & Cadets Chess Championship

Post by SwamyG »

I am in Greece, as my 2 boys are playing in the FIDE World Youth & Cadets Chess Championship - 2015. I hope to share my experiences as a parent (observing) a World sporting event as an when I get time and internet access. I do not expect many posts from myself per se.

My 10-yr qualified for the U-12 section, and my 17yr is just playing for the heck of it in U-18 section - since I brought him here on vacation :-). My Children are playing for the US Federation. http://www.wycc2015.org/

The five star hotel Sithonia where the US delegation is staying, really sucks big time, I do not know how it can be classified as a 5 star, it is more like a 2-3 star at the maximum. Its sister hotel Meliton is better, and that is where the Indian delegation is housed.

I met a few parents from India, and just exchanged casual conversation. While the US Chess federation managed to rope in a few GMs and IMs for its team coaches, India did not manage to get good GM/IM for the team. India seems to have sent about 55 players. However other sources tell me some of these players received extensive coaching from a camp that was held in Tamil Nadu. I will try to find out more.

By the way, my 10-yr won is first round against an unrated player from Taipei; and my 17-yr drew a player 350 points more than him - he missed a winning move.

You can follow the results at http://chess-results.com/tnr187413.aspx?lan=1 or at http://www.wycc2015.org

Request to Moderators/Admin: I hope you will entertain me and have this thread until November 5th.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Re: 2015 FIDE World Youth & Cadets Chess Championship

Post by Raja Bose »

All the best to your boys!

So what is the qualification criteria for playing in this championship?
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Countries have their Chess federations - US has the 'US Chess' and India has 'AICF' {http://aicf.in/}. Each federation has their own rules to select their official candidates. For example Wales has their team, and a national championship is held to pick the top 3 candidates.

Until last year US had a cut-off US rating to select the 'qualifying' players. The top player in each section is deemed the official player from US and he gets paid something from US Chess, and allows gets onsite coaching benefits. The rest of the qualifiers enjoy the bragging rights of being 'qualified' based on the cut-off rating. My 10-yr enjoys that bragging rights. From this year, US has opened up the candidates - in the sense if you are under 18 and studying in a school you can play under US Chess federation. My 17-yr old comes under this category.
member_27845
BRFite

Post by member_27845 »

SwamyG : all the very best to your kids !!
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

In the US delegation we have about 123 children, US Chess has encouraged us to use a google groups for communication. Cheating in the chess games at high level is rampant among kids. Kids also use psychological ploys to win games. FIDE has anti-cheating squads in place for the tournaments monitoring kids who go to the bathrooms during the games. Except Head of Delegations from each country, no individual is allowed in and around the playing hall. The top boards are available live but delayed by 30 mins to prevent electronic cheating.

Parents are well aware, and one individual from our US delegation, in mid October in the google groups, had said that in some 3rd World countries, the culture of cheating was supported by parents. When some protested as it being an offensive and indicated that all people cheated. He thrust this video to make his point.

A Deshmukh
BRFite

Post by A Deshmukh »

SwamyG, Best wishes to your kids.
kenop
BRFite

Post by kenop »

SwamyG good luck
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Can we move this to the Econ and Tech forum so others can also see the excitement?
And make it a sticky till Nov 5th?
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

If rumors are true, then the Sports Authority of India needs some real thrashing on its backside. There is an Indian citizen, who was born outside India, AICF does not have any problem in him being part of the Indian delegation. But the Sports Authority of India says na-na onlree says "He was born outside India how can he represent India?" or something to that order. So the Indian citizen ends up playing for a foreign country. And sadly for India, the individual is an International Master. In his section U-18, there is only one very strong player in GM Vaibhav Suri (rating of 2561). The next Indian in this section is rated in the 2100s.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Every country selects its official players and then allows other players to be part of their delegation (who have to pay their way through). It seems to be the norm.

Countries also send some 4-5 coaches. The top candidates in each section are coached by these people during the tournament. And in countries like US, other players as part of the delegation can pay to get these coaches' services. These coaches can be valuable, but invariably both in US and India, there seems to be politics and incompetency in the selection process of these coaches. Parents will be parents across the globe. Both Americans and Indians seemed to be dissatisfied by the panel of these coaches.

The icing on the cup of woes for India is that their coaches are not GMs or IMs. American delegation has a few GMs and IIRC one IM. Russians and Chinese delegation are strong and their coaching standards high. So lots of Indian players bring their own coaches. The reason India does not get good coaches is because good coaches run their own schools, tutorials and academies where the money is good. They do not want to end up not earning these 15 odd days or at least not as much as they could earn in India from their students..... this is all rumors you know.

Mothers or Fathers travel alone, all the way from India with their children - because their child likes Chess or is very good onlee. Some parents felt Americans have more support than Indians. Well the grass is greener on the other side - is all I can say.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

As you might recall, the American delegation is in the so-called 5 star hotel - Sithonia, while the Indian delegation is in Meliton. The location is gorgeous, the weather is chilly with a 10C as the lows and the windchill as low as 5C. So though sunny, it is rather cold nothing like the Greek Islands.

Well, one cannot fight mother nature. But this Sithonia sucks big time. Only our devas and devis know when this hotel was constructed. Maybe I am spoilt after enjoying the luxuries in Cancun, Bahamas, Nashville, Orlando, Maasai Mara, Costa Rica itiyadi, this Sithonia is rotten. The lobby seems to be okay, but as you exit the elevator to enter your room there is this stink that hits you. At first I thought it is urine smell, I still do. Probably it is the water because the water on two days was brownish in color. I could not believe my eyes and nose. Everything is old.

Language is another problem, moi speek no Greek; and even their English sounds Greek to me. FIDE probably struck a nasty deal with the hotel, so though we pay a high amount the entire tournament got only full-boarding, and not all-inclusive which was what I was hoping. Like Cancun, I thought I would be able to nurse my drink thinking how my son should have won the lost or drawn game :-) right at 10:00am. Alas no, I have to drown my sorrows in water that I paid for. Yes, no drinks of any kind included. Not even coffee. They serve some coffee and pale juice during breakfast. The food is awful, it is more International and less Greek - and we are trembling at the thought of having to eat this food for another 10 days. Food at Athens was divine, and I was hoping to eat with the gods for another 13-14 days. Bad luck, food is miserable.

I heard Meliton is newer, so the Indian delegation is having newer rooms than us Amerians onree.

And, WiFi is extremely bad. There is strong WiFi onlee in the public spaces; once you enter your room the signal strength drops to almost zero bar. One simply cannot connect. Luckily every room has an internet jack, but unfortunately they do not always work. I had come prepared with a Ethernet cable, but had to get the technician to do activate the jack. I also had purchased this device from Amazon: HooToo Wireless Travel Router {disclaimer, I own AMZN shares}. It is a phenomenal device, I connected the Ethernet cable from the jack on the wall to the device, and after a few quick setup all my electronic devices have WiFi now - all secured. So my son can do his homework, I can browse BRF, SHQ can do her browsing itiyadi. The round pairings are also published on the internet. And we are able to share pictures with the family in India.

Some parents came prepared with other International packages, but others are at the mercy of Vodafone which is making a killing by selling USB dongles, SIM cards itiyadi to poor parents - who are not happy with its performance.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Thanks for the wishes bhailog, this is my children's first exposure to International Chess competitions. They are seeded very low, so I expect them to score 2 or 3 points of their 11 games. We came here more to get this experience and have fun; also we enjoyed Rome for 4 days and Athens for 2+ days.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Moved to Econ & Tech forum so non-members can also view and partake of the updates.

ramana
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

mr gin, all the best for your boys!
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

May the force be with the Boy. SwamyG.
Nandu
BRF Oldie

Post by Nandu »

SwamyG, can you explain the code in the results column? What does
s 1
w ½
s ½

etc mean? And in some cases the s or w is there without a number.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Nandu......Ah it took ages for me to figure that out. The Chess-Results website is a German website. 'w' stands for while color, and 's' stands for black (Schwarz). This is what I have deduced. So 's 1' means the player played as black and won. 's 1/2' means the player drew with black. When there is no number, it means that is the pairing for the next round, or the game is still on with no results available yet or recorded.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Talked to some Indian parents, I am not sure if it was the parents fault or AICF fault, but some of these people got their visas to Greece just the day before the actual departure. With Dusshera holidays, the parents were in high state of tension.

After 4 rounds, a little over than a third of the tournament is done. As in the recent past, Indian kids below U-12 are performing better than the above. And Indian girls are performing better than the Indian boys. You can check the number of Indian kids in the top 5 so far here: http://chess-results.com/tnr187413.aspx ... =30&wi=984
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Indians are every where so to speak. I met NRIs/OCIs from Canada, Wales, England, Scotland, Japan, last but not the least USA.

An interesting side note is that in Rome and Athens, the street vendors near the tourist spots are almost all Bangladeshis. In Rome there are street vendors from Senegal too. It is said that gang wars ensue between Bangladeshis and Senegalese. I wonder how BDs came this far, and if they are working here legally.
Nandu
BRF Oldie

Post by Nandu »

SwamyG, thanks.

My nephew is there. Seems to be doing reasonably well. Might even get to the candidate master level.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

swamy saar BD
s are probably chittagong people, who have been sailors for centuries.

best of luck to your kids.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Rahul saar, they seem to be recent migrants - all in the mid 20s and early 30s with a few in the 40-50 range.

I just heard about another WTF type news. There is a Indian origin, US passport carrying child who lives in India; but India has denied her chances to play under Indian federation, so she is playing under the US Chess federation. I do not think US Chess really cares on the nationality/citizenship - I might be wrong. But in our delegation there are a few families that required visa to Greece.

Nandu, I met a family from Trichur area Nihal Sarin who is playing Open 12 section. He was the last year champion U-10 if I am not mistaken.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

I did not mean those were the original migrants, some of whom would be 200 years old now. :rotfl:

2nd & 3rd gen. sylheti folk have a reputation of getting around.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

I spoke to the dad of the boy who was denied to play under the Indian federation.

AICF fully supported the parents in trying to play for India. But SAI would want it only its way. Recommendation letters from the top most official from AICF was sent, SAI did not budge. With the influence of an MP, the top most official of SAI was contacted who sympathized with the cause and gave some personal examples but could do not help the parents. Because, the top most official for the most part is administrative in nature, and the decision making is done by the lower babus.

So the parents talked around, and as per the rumor mills; a few decades ago one of the Amritraj brothers who lived outside India but continued to play for India was challenged by a PIL. Rules were made, and written in stone. Babus in SAI went on precedence. It is said that the babus in Delhi, after Modi took over are even more scared to act than before. Nobody wants to get into the firing line. So decisions are made with ample supporting documents, consensus and based on precedence. So old rules continue to stay.

I agree with the parent that this is an old rule and probably works for sports where the country can send only a finite set of people. However in these Chess tournaments, a country can send as many players as the country can afford, and FIDE would accept. By allowing this player under the Indian flag, an opportunity for another Indian is not snatched. OCI or Citizen, should not matter. Australia and America are practical in these matters.

With the number of Indians playing Chess, AICF is rising as a strong influential player in FIDE. I never realized that. Money talks every where. And, I guess FIDE is as corrupt or even more than FIFA.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Rahul M wrote:I did not mean those were the original migrants, some of whom would be 200 years old now. :rotfl:

2nd & 3rd gen. sylheti folk have a reputation of getting around.
Rahul I understood that, by recent immigrants I meant they did not dress or behave like 2nd, 3rd or 4th generation children of early migrants. Some of them tried talking to us in Hindi, and asked us if we were from India :-)

In Thessaloniki, there is an Indian restaurant run by some BDs - called Nargis.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Another aspect of babus being babus, decisions being taken leisurely without thought to others. The official players about 45, from India, are announced well in advance based on various qualification criteria. The remaining 10 or so players are not sponsored by India. Everything for the travel, fees, boarding ityadi are started at some point in time. However the entire trip or the delegation sponsorship is officially sanctioned very late, some time as late as 10 days before the trip. Usually only one parent accompanies the kid on these tournaments, unless the family has some money, vacation and all the planets have lined up. By not sanctioning earlier, well in advance, the parents have to book/buy their air tickets 10 or so days before their departure. Some parents have complained that if the sanctioning could occur earlier they would have saved tens of thousands of rupees. Some parents could not accompany their child in the same flight, because the flights get booked. So they travel via another flight.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Talking about stereotypes and perceptions. Several parents thought Tamil Nadu had it special for them. They said this and that happens in Chennai or Tamil Nadu onlee with a degree of enviousness. One parent thought there is something about TN and chess, people in TN seem to take up to chess more than others. My thought immediately went to JJ making chess as part of the school curriculum. It could be that, it could be Vishy's indirection motivation.

I hope Vishy when he retires, he does something more for Indian chess. As an active player he seems to not do much. But after retirement, I hope he creates academies of some sort or something more to promote and nurture chess talent.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

I saw players from Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Iraq, UAE, Iran ityadi, even Namibia sent players. But no Pakistan onlee. Maybe there are a few players that I missed.
member_27845
BRFite

Post by member_27845 »

Chennai has an active chess club scene and there are many chess classes being held for children

Also the TNCA holds a regular schedule of chess ratings competitions at various centres

More than all these , credit is due to the dedicated parents who spare no effort or expense in developing their kids development in chess

It probably took off after Vishy became a World Champ - he definitely was the inspiration even if he did not contribute directly in chess development in Chennai
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Some 4 to 5 Punjabi Delhi women made it a point to celebrate Karava Chauth here in Greece. Some even are planning to celebrate another vrath that seems to be heading our way for children. They were a tad sad that they could not see the moon in the cloudy skies :-) There was a lady from US who also managed to fast during a day sightseeing trip.

Traditions are tough to let go.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Tomorrow is the last day of the tournament. Gold, Silver and Bronze medals are awarded for the top 3 in each section.

1. Nihal Sarin is tied for the first in U-12, tomorrow is a decisive game that will give him a medal or not.
2. R Praggnanandhaa is tied for first in U-10, again the last game is key for medalling.
3. Bharath Subramaniyam is leading in U-8 with a full point head of the second place which is another Indian Dev Shah. Bharath is sure to medal, unless he loses and his tie-breaks end up real bad.
4. Mahalakshimi has 9 out of 10 in Girls-18, 1.5 points more than the second place - which is another Indian Varshini. Mahalakshmi is taking the Gold clearly even if she loses.
5. Vaishali is leading Girls-14, with 8.5. Vantika Agarwal follows her closely with 8 points. Unfortunately they are pitted against each in the final game. A draw would give Vaishali the Gold, and Vantika probably will be in the hunt for Silver or Bronze based on tie breaks. The winner takes the gold.
6. Saina is on the third spot in Girls-12, she has a chance to win or draw tomorrow, and that would make her a strong contender for at least a bronze.
7. Rakshitta is on the third spot, but tied for 1st in Girls-10. A win would surely give her a medal.

So out of 12 sections, India is a contender to get a medal in 7 sections, with the possibility of several players finishing in the top 5, or even get a silver or bronze.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Just out of curiosity - what's the ethnic breakdown of the US team? Are there many Asian/Indian-Americans?
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Viv: A quick mental calculation based on just the name alone; out of 129 members 85 consisted of Asians. Out of the 85: 2 are probably Japanese, 27 are Indian Americans, and the rest would be the "larger Chinese" (that would include China, Koreas & Indo-China). The Chinese clearly dominate the "larger Chinese".

Of the total 65% are Asian Americans. Of the total, 20% are of Indian origin.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Mind boggling performance by India. 11 medals: 6G, 2S and 3B. India scored more gold than Russia's total of 5 medals.

India has almost doubled its total tally from 6 medals in 2014: 2G, 2S and 2B. In addition to the 11, 2 more came in the top 5.

The IM that was denied to play under Indian flag, very narrowly missed the bronze medal. He came 4th.

http://chess-results.com/tnr187413.aspx ... =30&wi=821 (2015)
http://chess-results.com/tnr144243.aspx ... =30&wi=984 (2014)
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

good show. congrats to all.

hope your kids enjoyed the tourny as well.
A Deshmukh
BRFite

Post by A Deshmukh »

SwamyG, hope your kids did well?

They are young, hope they had a good learning experience.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Congrats SwamyG to you and to your kids!

I had mentioned earlier (2+ years ago?) that chess is thriving among Indian American kids and pretty sure we will see a bunch of them among the highest rated players of their times. I see/have seen them (or should I say faced their wrath :(( and :lol: ) from close quarters.

As expected a resident EJ had trouble digesting it and made snide remark.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Thanks to all the wishes. My kids met or exceeded my expectations, buy as a whole we went for the experience, they stood no chance in getting decent points. Let alone medalling. Of course I wish they performed better.

More laterz. In Athens right now.