Climate Change: Propaganda Vs Reality

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Re: Climate Change: Propaganda Vs Reality

Post by johneeG »

Bade wrote:All those posts are worthless, till you show me the data. The premise of this thread is there is no global warming. If you support that view, show the data. Not some e-mail scandal as proof. :lol: :lol: :rotfl:
Those post are about data, saar. You want me to recap all those points again. :roll:

Actually, I could have just said that the burden of proof is on you because you are the one claiming that there is a new phenomenon called global warming.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

I have given you proof (links) to people with data who claim climate change, that also includes global warming. These are papers published in science journals vetted by multiple folks.

Do you have something of similar quality to support your claim. Please, do not post worthless blogs not supported by independent verification/validation of claims. I know you do not work in the field for direct access, but you should at least be able to bring meaningful data publicly available to the table, or is it just your belief.

Do not mix Global politics/policy stances when claiming or negating a scientific point. You lose all when you do that. I know it is fun, like is done in nukkad. But you are making a serious claim when you say you do not believe what NIO scientists say, based on your belief of what is climate change/global warming. What I believe or you believe in has no place in this debate, if one is serious.

That is why I said talk to the ones in India if you do not trust the US side. They are paid by the Indian govt to support their research activities. If any, their biases will not be the same as that of the US policy position if any or US supported institutions.
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

Bade wrote:All those posts are worthless, till you show me the data. The premise of this thread is there is no global warming. If you support that view, show the data. Not some e-mail scandal as proof. :lol: :lol: :rotfl:
Are you aware of what was in that e-mail scandal? The main experts pushing for global warming theory were discussing how to use a 'trick' to 'hide the decline'. And several other very interesting things. I am actually amazed that anybody would still want to claim that emperor is not naked.

As for peer-review:

Phil Jones keeps peer-review process humming … by using “intuition”

During the course of his 2010 testimony to the U.K. parliament’s Science and Technology Committee, UEA’s renowned Director of the Climatic Research Unit (CRU), Phil Jones, responded to a question regarding the peer-review process by indicating that he had never been asked to provide data and code for any of his contributions to the peer-reviewed literature when such papers were under review.

One might reasonably infer from this that when Jones is a reviewer of a paper, he doesn’t ask to see data or code either. I recently came across a Climategate E-mail [2486.txt] from Jones which would confirm that this is a reasonable inference.

Jones was responding to a Jan. 28/2004 observation from Peter Gleick (who has a penchant for reviewing books he’s given no indication of having read, and for failing to substantiate his accusations about others).

In this instance, the thread title was, “MBH Submission (fwd)”, and Gleick’s observation was:
I find Reviewer A’s email a pretty convincing indication of what CC and Mann will face if the code isn’t released.
Yuck.

The timing suggests that “Reviewer A” may well have been Steve McIntyre who, recounted the following, shortly after Schneider died in 2010:
[Schneider] asked me to review a 2004 submission to Climatic Change by Mann et al responding to MM2003 – consistent with his public representations. It seemed to me that there was an inherent conflict of interest in such a review but this was obviously known to Schneider and I attempted to separate out my interests as a disputant from my obligations as a reviewer as much as possible.

[…] my approach was informed by ideas of due diligence that were not then characteristic of academic peer reviewing. In my capacity as a reviewer, I asked to see supporting data for Mann’s supposed rebuttal to MM2003 – the topic of his submission – and to see source code to document his allegations that we’d supposedly made grievous mistakes in implementing his methodology – again an important aspect of his submission. […]

Schneider replied that he had been editor of Climatic Change for 28 years and, during that time, nobody had ever requested supporting data, let alone source code, and he therefore required a policy from his editorial board approving his requesting such information from an author.
But I digress …

Jones’s Jan. 29 reply was addressed to many recipients, including Gleick and Stephen Schneider – founder and editor of the journal Climatic Change [CC] [text reformatted and emphasis added -hro]:

Steve, Peter et al,

I totally agree with Peter on Yuck. The tone of the email from Reviewer A indicates the sorts of issues we would be in. Here are my thoughts:

If you accede to this request the whole peer-review process goes down the tubes.

Reviewers will be able to request the earth from authors. If we all started doing this the number of reviews we could do would dramatically reduce. I currently do about 20-30 reviews a year. If I began asking for this sort of information from journals (AMS, AGU, RMS etc) I would be laughed out of court. I guess it would stop the papers to review coming.

The whole system would grind to a halt. I’ve never requested data/codes to do a review and I don’t think others should either. I do many of my reviews on travel. I have a feel for whether something is wrong – call it intuition. If analyses don’t seem right, look right or feel right, I say so. Some of my reviews for CC could be called into question!
[…]
Well, now I understand the intricacies of this much-vaunted “peer-review” process. “Intuition” and Because! I! Said! So! will trump due diligence, every time – otherwise the whole process would go “down the tubes”.

Amazing. Simply amazing.
Link
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Saar, you are chasing the wrong end here....

Most ideas (which show up in paper) gets verified not by the peer-reviewers themselves, but others who try to verify your claim independently. :-)

You cannot do fraud 99% of the time by fixing data. Rest of the peers are not idiots to fall for it.

If temperature data is suspect (hypothetically) one can look elsewhere in tree-rings, ice-cores, plankton growth, coral reef health etc etc. So it is not based on one data type, though some may be easier to measure than others.....try to understand the process by talking to NIO folks, if you are in Hydbad talk to people in INCOIS...or if in Pune go visit IITM and talk to Atmospheric folks. In A'bad talk to folks at PRL or SAC/ISRO. If in Tvm go to SPL/VSSC....Now are you willing to claim that they are all on pay by USG ? :rotfl:
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Please don't insult the forum by posting glen beck. On that note, Don't get trapped in the republican democrat nonsensical talking points on this issue.
KrishnaK
BRFite

Post by KrishnaK »

Bade wrote:Saar, you are chasing the wrong end here....

Most ideas (which show up in paper) gets verified not by the peer-reviewers themselves, but others who try to verify your claim independently. :-)

You cannot do fraud 99% of the time by fixing data. Rest of the peers are not idiots to fall for it.

If temperature data is suspect (hypothetically) one can look elsewhere in tree-rings, ice-cores, plankton growth, coral reef health etc etc. So it is not based on one data type, though some may be easier to measure than others.....try to understand the process by talking to NIO folks, if you are in Hydbad talk to people in INCOIS...or if in Pune go visit IITM and talk to Atmospheric folks. In A'bad talk to folks at PRL or SAC/ISRO. If in Tvm go to SPL/VSSC....Now are you willing to claim that they are all on pay by USG ? :rotfl:
The same gent was arguing about perpetual motion machine on another thread. Waste of time trying to convince him.
mohanty
BRFite -Trainee

Post by mohanty »

It is not a question about climate change but if humans are responsible for it. There are plenty of scientists who have claimed climates always change and it is not due to humans.

I think those from climate mafia or climate dhimmi brigade who are feeling guilty of breathing out CO2 should just breathe only alternate days and donate 80% of their income to Greenpeace to do agitations in the West.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Just read the scum of GP. Naidoo whose ancestors hailed from Tamilnadu??? What these people did at the time of Cyclone Katherina- No open letter to Bush baba at that time, but ready to write to Modi now. Some times it is people from GP who needs to be get rid of than people of ISIS.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 049826.cms
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

So people still think humans are not messing up the environment? Wow !!!
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

The thing is that when it comes to environment, words like 'global', humans etc are used very regularly. However I haven't seen natives of Brazilian rainforest pollute much. In fact, even when the natives are driven off own lands, the natives still so not indulge in burning down everything- poisoning wells and shyt.

In other words, when developed nations are involved then the most generic words like global/human etc are freely used. On the other hand, if O=C=O emissions are whittled down a bit, there would be a stamped to receive prizes.

Some facts: after protocol, change in emissions: emission targets
mohanty
BRFite -Trainee

Post by mohanty »

SwamyG wrote:So people still think humans are not messing up the environment? Wow !!!
Here is more wow, last time humans did so much industrial activity in global scale, the Ice Age ended and Obama's great great....grandfather got a Nobel Prize for just being elected.

Here is some more wow, one of the greatest living scientist Freeman Dyson saying climate change propaganda is absurd,
http://bigthink.com/devils-advocate/fre ... are-absurd

Society of French mathematicians calling global warming propaganda absurd.
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/bar ... nst-global
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

KrishnaK wrote:
The same gent was arguing about perpetual motion machine on another thread. Waste of time trying to convince him.
Ad-hominem attack! I haven't come across many of your posts on this thread about the topic itself. It seems you don't have anything to say about the topic itself so you find it more convenient to discuss the posters. Anyway, I beg your pardon for not placing blind faith in GOTUS. I am sorry, but I don't worship GOTUS.
Gus wrote:Please don't insult the forum by posting glen beck. On that note, Don't get trapped in the republican democrat nonsensical talking points on this issue.
Saar,
it seems this Glen beck guy is pretty famous. I don't know who is, so I have no idea what he did or didn't. And I am not even interested in learning about every pressitude. Anyway, the video I posted seemed pretty straightforward. He was simply summarizing the climate-gate. Anyway, attacking the messengers is ad-hominem. If the message is wrong, please point out the flaws in the message. If its a wrong message, its wrong message. If its right, its right. It doesn't matter who the messenger is.
Bade wrote:Saar, you are chasing the wrong end here....

Saar,
I feel like posting a facepalm. I think you are missing many points.

- Its wrong for you to assume that all these scientists are supporting your theory. If they have written something in support of the theory, then post it to corroborate your assumption. But don't assume that all scientists support your theory by default. There is no need for such prejudice.
- Anyway, its not about what the esteemed scientists believe in. They can believe whatever they want. But, their belief does not make it a fact or logical. Facts and logic must be independent of personal beliefs. Science is not religion to be based on faith and belief. Science is supposed to be based on logic and facts.
- Raw data on global temperature is not supporting the global warming theory. So, the global warmers put Data into a computer model to adjust it. And when people ask for the code(i.e. the formula they are using to adjust the Data), they refuse to give the code or even to reveal the raw Data. Why would they want to hide it unless it does not support their theory, hain?

Ok, there was a climate-gate which revealed all the naughty things they do. Then, there was a committee and as committees do, they declared that nothing wrong happened. But, heres, the relevant part to your point:
wiki wrote:The committee chairman Phil Willis said that the "standard practice" in climate science generally of not routinely releasing all raw data and computer codes "needs to change and it needs to change quickly".
Wiki Link

You see the raw data and the code are not released. You have to believe it on faith.
panduranghari wrote:The fiddling with temperature data is the biggest science scandal ever
Two weeks ago, under the headline “How we are being tricked by flawed data on global warming”, I wrote about Paul Homewood, who, on his Notalotofpeopleknowthat blog, had checked the published temperature graphs for three weather stations in Paraguay against the temperatures that had originally been recorded. In each instance, the actual trend of 60 years of data had been dramatically reversed, so that a cooling trend was changed to one that showed a marked warming.

This was only the latest of many examples of a practice long recognised by expert observers around the world – one that raises an ever larger question mark over the entire official surface-temperature record.

Following my last article, Homewood checked a swathe of other South American weather stations around the original three. In each case he found the same suspicious one-way “adjustments”. First these were made by the US government’s Global Historical Climate Network (GHCN). They were then amplified by two of the main official surface records, the Goddard Institute for Space Studies (Giss) and the National Climate Data Center (NCDC), which use the warming trends to estimate temperatures across the vast regions of the Earth where no measurements are taken. Yet these are the very records on which scientists and politicians rely for their belief in “global warming”.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

JohneeG, Other than the propaganda part I am yet to see good science data from the deniers. Opinions are fine to say but does not count for anything, even if it comes from someone like Dyson. Even Newton had some crazy theories and was dabbling with Alchemy in his later life. I would rather listen to a Chemical or physical oceanographer or atmospheric scientist on climate related topics than an opinion piece by Dyson who has not worked directly in making any measurements.

You keep referring to "my theory", which is funny. :-) I could be climate change denier myself as part of my belief and do not want India to take any mitigation for climate change....after all I want real world data...and want to see what climate change can bring as its real effects....but that said, I cannot find any supporting evidence via data published which stands on strong legs supporting my climate change denial hypothesis. That is why I am asking for data to support your view. It might make my choice easier. ;-) but not links to sound bytes only ... but some real validated publication or article that refers to hard published data.

It is not in this forum alone, I have come across practicing scientists who share your view, but when I ask them for data they cannot point me to anywhere. It is just an opinion almost always, some based on notions of nationalism...even American exceptionalism....or world is after the US onlee....just as some here believe the world is after India only and want it to close shop entirely, or to have a leverage over Indian industrial policy choices.....so data please and not opinions to support the deniers view.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

You lose all credibility if you post Glenn beck. That's just it. You can read more about him. Yea yea messenger blah blah, but some people are not messengers but known agenda pushers of the vile sort and best avoided and not wastes any time with.
mohanty
BRFite -Trainee

Post by mohanty »

Asking to prove a negative with data is absolutely foolish. It is always those claiming to be global warming due to humans who have to prove. So far they can't that it is not natural and known to employ all kinds of mafia tactics to manhandle any opposition.

I do not believe those crying about global warming are evil. They are just distracted useful idiots. There is a very small minority who are the real drivers behind this crusade against human progress. They have created this propaganda, financed it and directed it.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

From Kyoto_Protocol -> Negotiations
At the first UNFCCC Conference of the Parties in Berlin, the G77 was able to push for a mandate (the "Berlin mandate") where it was recognized that:[70]

* developed nations had contributed most to the then-current concentrations of GHGs in the atmosphere (see Greenhouse gas#Cumulative and historical emissions).
* developing country emissions per-capita (i.e., average emissions per head of population)[71] were still relatively low.
* and that the share of global emissions from developing countries would grow to meet their development needs.
Some numbers: link
Country -- Increase in CO2 emissions 1990-2009 (%)
North America -- +20.4
(EU - target -8% till 2012, -20% till 2020)
Germany -- -21.1%
Greece - +28%
Ireland -- +32.4%
Norway -- +31.9%
Portugal -- +35.3%
Spain -- +37.7%
Sweden -- +20.9%

Australia -- +51.8%
New Zealand -- +34.3%

USA never ratified Kyoto Protocol to begin with.

Some more from the same page:
US position
To become binding in the US, however, the treaty had to be ratified by the Senate, which had already passed the 1997 non-binding Byrd-Hagel Resolution, expressing disapproval of any international agreement that did not require developing countries to make emission reductions and "would seriously harm the economy of the United States". The resolution passed 95-0.[92] Therefore, even though the Clinton administration signed the treaty,[93] it was never submitted to the Senate for ratification. {Some serious commitment right there}

<SNIP>
Bush replied that he took climate change "very seriously,"[94] but that he opposed the Kyoto treaty, because "it exempts 80% of the world, including major population centers such as China and India, from compliance, and would cause serious harm to the US economy".[95] The Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research reported in 2001 that, "This policy reversal received a massive wave of criticism that was quickly picked up by the international media. Environmental groups blasted the White House, while Europeans and Japanese alike expressed deep concern and regret. [...] Almost all world leaders (e.g. China, Japan, South Africa, Pacific Islands, etc.) expressed their disappointment at Bush’s decision." Bush's response that, "I was responding to reality, and reality is the nation has got a real problem when it comes to energy" was, it said, "an overstatement used to cover up the big benefactors of this policy reversal, i.e., the US oil and coal industry, which has a powerful lobby with the administration and conservative Republican congressmen."[96]

The US accounted for 36% of emissions in 1990, and without U.S. ratification, only an EU+Russia+Japan+small party coalition could place the treaty into legal effect. A deal was reached in the Bonn climate talks (COP-6.5), held in 2001.[97]
There is a consistent stand in USA that reduced pollution efforts to curb coal and oil use would result in harm to US economy.

Should it be different for India? Please someone post some data to prove that it would be otherwise.

The current climate change efforts seem to be all about shifting and flipping blame of pollution of GLOBAL environment by developed countries.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

https://eos.org/opinions/managing-the-c ... ng-science

Michalak, A. M., et al. (2011), A U.S. carbon cycle science plan: A report of the Carbon Cycle Steering Group and Subcommittee, 81 pp., Univ. Corp. for Atmos. Res., Boulder, Colo. [Available at https://www.carboncyclescience.us/sites ... n-2011.pdf.]
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Hallelujah, global warming all absurd. Earth created in 7 days.
mohanty
BRFite -Trainee

Post by mohanty »

Is that some lame attempt to club climate change deniers to Christian fundamentalists and discredit them? Don't do the kind of tricks the global mafia employs that only hurts people like you and me and never the rich.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

This linking of GW deniers with evolution deniers has been done before, and it's deliberate, but please don't make the mistake of dismissing it as a "lame" attempt. I don't know about SwamyG, he might have been talking tongue-in-cheek, but this is a well-thought-out strategy on the part of the pro-AGW crowd, and one which actually has some success. When I read articles about Global Warming (now dubbed Climate Change), I see reader comments along the lines of "so you don't believe in Climate Change or evolution, you fundoos are all the same." And this is by supposedly average American readers - meant to show that the "secular, non-fundoo average Joe" is fed up with these Christian lunatics who keep denying all scientific consensus, such as the earth revolving around the sun, then evolution, and now lately climate change.

Question to ask - what big industrial groups benefited from keeping the heliocentric theory going? What big industrial groups benefit from making everybody believe in evolution? None that I know of. How about climate change? Well, I can name quite a few for that one. That's the difference.

Now for another point of concern. I was away from the forum for a while, now when I return, I see a lot of posts about "this guy says climate change is a fraud" - "THAT guy? That guy is a RACIST, and you believe everything he says?" - "show me facts," - "show me proof," etc. Has anybody actually bothered to look at the science behind gas radiation? Vibration rotation bands? Infrared spectrum? CO2 has multiple IR bands - at 2.0, 2.7, 4.3, 6.0, and 15.0 microns (those are the primary ones). H2O has other bands, primarily at 6.3 microns. So the bands of CO2 and H2O overlap to some extent in the 6.0 micron region. How does this apply to the atmosphere of Venus? What fraction of solar radiation in each spectral interval will be trapped by each of these CO2 bands on Venus? How about on earth? THAT'S the real science, the one that actually indicates the extent of warming by specific increments of CO2 fraction in the atmosphere. If you look at this science, it will tell you that increasing CO2 fraction in the atmosphere will certainly have a warming effect due to greenhouse trapping, though other phenomena will have to be accounted for to get the full picture. On the face of it, this seems like a point in favor of the pro-AGW crowd. The questions are:

1) How much will the warming be? Is it really of the order of 2 deg. C (3.6 deg. F) by the end of the century?

2) If it is known that there is going to be a warming effect, then why change the terminology from "Global Warming" to "Climate Change?" Aren't these "consensus-bound scientists" sure of their own predictions? Or did they chicken out of the "Global Warming" terminology when they noticed that there was no evidence of the warming?

It seems there aren't too many people knowledgeable about or interested in any of this. Let me try to present some of this science in upcoming posts (disclaimer: it's not my field, you are strongly encouraged to cross-check anything I say).
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

Gus wrote:You lose all credibility if you post Glenn beck. That's just it. You can read more about him. Yea yea messenger blah blah, but some people are not messengers but known agenda pushers of the vile sort and best avoided and not wastes any time with.
Saar,
You do realize that the video was about climate gate, right. It was not about the anchor. I posted that video because of the content.
The point is that content of the video did not depend on the 'credibility' of Glenn beck or anyone else. Because he was saying things which can be independently verified. Credibility = the quality of being trusted and believed in. You don't have to blindly believe anything. You need 'credible' sources only when you can't independently verify the content. That video is about climate gate. Please do your own research on that. Anyway, I can post other videos if you don't like that anchor. But, I don't know which anchor you like or don't like.

Bade wrote:JohneeG, Other than the propaganda part I am yet to see good science data from the deniers. Opinions are fine to say but does not count for anything, even if it comes from someone like Dyson. Even Newton had some crazy theories and was dabbling with Alchemy in his later life. I would rather listen to a Chemical or physical oceanographer or atmospheric scientist on climate related topics than an opinion piece by Dyson who has not worked directly in making any measurements.

You keep referring to "my theory", which is funny. :-) I could be climate change denier myself as part of my belief and do not want India to take any mitigation for climate change....after all I want real world data...and want to see what climate change can bring as its real effects....but that said, I cannot find any supporting evidence via data published which stands on strong legs supporting my climate change denial hypothesis. That is why I am asking for data to support your view. It might make my choice easier. ;-) but not links to sound bytes only ... but some real validated publication or article that refers to hard published data.

It is not in this forum alone, I have come across practicing scientists who share your view, but when I ask them for data they cannot point me to anywhere. It is just an opinion almost always, some based on notions of nationalism...even American exceptionalism....or world is after the US onlee....just as some here believe the world is after India only and want it to close shop entirely, or to have a leverage over Indian industrial policy choices.....so data please and not opinions to support the deniers view.
Nah saar, I think all the data and logic is there in this thread itself. But, you don't want to accept it.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

We are going to have global cooling not warming.

The Earth has been an ice box more so than a tinder box for most of its history.

We are living in an unusually stable temperature period and its not going to last.
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

sudarshan wrote: If you look at this science, it will tell you that increasing CO2 fraction in the atmosphere will certainly have a warming effect due to greenhouse trapping, though other phenomena will have to be accounted for to get the full picture. On the face of it, this seems like a point in favor of the pro-AGW crowd. The questions are:

1) How much will the warming be? Is it really of the order of 2 deg. C (3.6 deg. F) by the end of the century?

2) If it is known that there is going to be a warming effect, then why change the terminology from "Global Warming" to "Climate Change?" Aren't these "consensus-bound scientists" sure of their own predictions? Or did they chicken out of the "Global Warming" terminology when they noticed that there was no evidence of the warming?

It seems there aren't too many people knowledgeable about or interested in any of this. Let me try to present some of this science in upcoming posts (disclaimer: it's not my field, you are strongly encouraged to cross-check anything I say).

Sudarshan ji,
The Global warming debate is based on the Charney Report.

http://web.atmos.ucla.edu/~brianpm/down ... report.pdf

The climate 'energy budget' studies take the energy used in converting ice to water into account. While this is a 'large' amount in absolute terms, it is actually only a small fraction (~2%) of the total energy from global warming... as can be seen here

The thing is that atmospheric temperatures actually aren't "lower than projected". They are within the span of results produced by various model runs for the greenhouse gas levels scientists have observed. Climate scientists (and people capable of rational thought in general) have always known that fluctuations would occur... this denier idea that temperatures should rise in a continuous straight line is one of their dumber (and that's saying something) positions. There were temperature fluctuations before human induced global warming and no reason to imagine that they would stop after it.

Put another way... the difference between the 'slower atmospheric warming' observed over the past ~15 years and the 'rapid atmospheric warming' observed the 15 years prior to that is less than 1% of the total energy from global warming.

sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

Panduranghari, yes, both sides of the debate have some pretty dumb notions. I'm personally inclined to side with the "denier" crowd - in that I don't believe that CO2 from industrial sources is going to have any significant effect on global temperatures. Not that I deny that increasing CO2 won't trap more heat.

Some of the emails and exposes from the pro-AGW side have been pretty shocking, and some of the claims made by various people, including that Pachauri character, have simply not panned out. But more importantly - CO2 is a pretty minor component of greenhouse trapping - H2O accounts for more than 90% of the heat trapped in the atmosphere. There's also evidence that the sun is going to enter a cooling cycle, and (in the extreme case) if the sun goes completely cold, then you can pump all the greenhouse gases you want into the atmosphere, and it won't make a whit of difference - the earth is still going to freeze over. So focusing on CO2 as some kind of isolated factor in rising temperatures is pretty silly. Industrial activity also generates more water vapor, which can increase greenhouse trapping, but which also reflects and scatters that much more energy from the sun before it even has a chance to reach the earth. Keep in mind that this trapping of solar heat doesn't occur directly - i.e., these greenhouse gases are pretty transparent to most of the incoming solar radiation. It is only when the earth heats up and starts radiating in the infrared, that these gases trap the re-radiated heat. So if water vapor reflects more of the sun's energy before it even reaches the earth's surface, then there is that much less re-radiated heat to trap.

So, while not denying that CO2 will trap heat into the atmosphere, the more important questions are: how much, what are the other feedback loops which will be activated, will those loops tend to mitigate or amplify the effects of more trapped heat, and is CO2, which currently accounts for like 5% of the overall greenhouse effect, really such a critical factor. And most importantly - is the sun itself entering a cooling phase (Maunder minimum), in which case all bets are off?
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

SwamyG wrote:Hallelujah, global warming all absurd. Earth created in 7 days.
Alright this is a silly rhetoric but its pretty common. I think its silly in several ways:

- Firstly, its gives an impression that one has a choice to either accept a faux scientific theory or to accept faux religious belief. As if one doesn't have a choice to reject both. As if one has to like Party A or Party B.

- Secondly, it implies that only the right-wing christians would disagree with global warming theory. And this tactic works in west to scare away the non-right-wing guys and to isolate the right-wing guys. But, anyway, here is the thing: Pope supports evolution theory, big bang theory and global warming theory. No other religious head has said that he supports these theories apart from Pope. So, does that mean Christiainity is the most scientific minded religion? Or does that mean that science has become religious?

- Thirdly, it implies like denying one scientific hypothesis is equal to denying science. This is not correct. One can refute as many scientific hypothesis as one wants. That does not translate to denying science. If I say that a particular hypothesis is not supported by factual evidence or logic, it does not mean that I am denying science. It simply means that I don't accept that hypothesis. And if you can show factual evidence or logic in support of that hypothesis, then you have some case. Actually, many times, more than one hypothesis can be equally plausible. If there is no way to prove one hypothesis over the other, then no one has the business to claim that one hypothesis right and other is wrong.

-
Tim Blair of the Telegraph catches this little slip, which is rather telling. He writes:

Jeff Young interviews Maggie Fox, President and CEO of Al Gore’s latest scam, the Climate Reality Project:

FOX: I think the notion of Vice President Gore as a divisive figure is a bit of a hoax, just like the people who are denying climate change. It’s a pre-frame, it’s a fabrication that suits those who want to keep the status quo. So if you have a prophet, if you have someone who has woken up to a particular challenge in the world and that person speaks, if that disrupts things, who is going to be and what are the voices going to be that say that person doesn’t have credibility? Those voices that don’t want that change … There are so many more voices clamoring to hear what he has to say that his right to speak and need to speak is more than made clear virtually every day.

YOUNG: Did you just refer to him as a prophet?

FOX: I think he is a prophet on climate change. I think he woke up to this issue in his earliest years, expected as other people learned about it that they would also wake up to its significance … His presumption as a young man was that once you heard the information the world would shift and start getting its act together, and that hasn’t happened.
Link

- Lastly, blind belief in the words of priests, scientists or prophets is the hallmark of religion, not science. Science is based on independent verification and logical thinking.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Total Solar Irradiance data for a decade as measured by satellite...so almost a full cycle....

And the historical reconstruction for Solar Irradiance.
http://lasp.colorado.edu/home/sorce/fil ... ction1.jpg

http://lasp.colorado.edu/home/sorce/data/tsi-data/
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

A very nice summary on the variability and spectral characteristics of incident irradiance in an easily readable format.

http://lasp.colorado.edu/home/sorce/science/

This one also serves as a nice primer on the topic with some answers to questions raised here regarding Venus...Longish one and will take some time to digest it all. It was from two decades ago, but the basic ideas are there in one article.

http://www-ramanathan.ucsd.edu/files/pr49.pdf
mohanty
BRFite -Trainee

Post by mohanty »

It initially started as "Global warming". Then when warming wasn't happening enough and Maldives wasn't going to be under the sea anytime soon, it became "Climate Change".

Now if it's too hot...........climate change....blame humans
too cold..........climate change...blame humans
too much rain.......climate change....blame humans
too less rain.......climate change....blame humans
too many terrorists......climate change....blame humans
new virus....climate change....blame humans.

Nobody is asking say if the rains this time are a record in 100 years, how was the previous record made before 100 years? Was it too many elephants who released gas then which caused "climate change"?

The funny thing is the global mafia have found a many stupid humans who are suicidal, who say, "Yes, I am to blame. tax me more. Tax my vehicle for CO2, tax my food for CO2 ...may be even tax me for my breathing too".

Just pathetic.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Enough with the beating of strawmen...

Post data.
mohanty
BRFite -Trainee

Post by mohanty »

How am I supposed t post a data for negative condition?

And then are you going to be personally there from data collection to analysis to conclusion to make sure it wasn't tampered one way or another in any way and that it is relevant?

This "post data" is such lunacy. Everyday you see one "scientific data" that says eating potato causes fat and then another contradicts it.

Here is another article that says so called govt. scientists have modified data to suit their agenda.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/e ... -ever.html

Data is overrated as is the conclusion from it.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

You can test a negative result hypothesis in the same vain as a positive result. People do it all the time in experimental particle physics. Even when you do not find something, you set a limit to the measurement made, which is more information than just saying what you said about "negative result".

The conclusions from the data could be over-rated or change, but the data is seldom overrated as you put it.
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

Bade wrote:.

The conclusions from the data could be over-rated or change, but the data is seldom overrated as you put it.
Correct. Data is not over rated. Its incomplete. Deductions from incomplete data are just flawed.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Flawed is a strong word to use. In that case all economic theory/analysis is flawed even more than climate model predictions. Even Newton's laws are flawed in the absolute sense.

Policy makers have the liberty of choice, but science is not flawed as claimed. Whether people want to believe in the heavy rainfall predictions and take preventive action (eg Chennai floods) is their choice via policy decisions. But cannot fault the science behind it, even if its accuracy is only 90%, just to throw a number.
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

Economics is not science. Ergo policy prescriptions emanating from economic ideals, do not always have the same effect. That is not the case with regards to science. Global warming has been proven beyond reasonable doubt say many. But the data does not stand up the the scrutiny. Its been proven that oceans absorb majority of the heat. But there is no evidence that the ocean temperatures have risen. Atmospheric rise in the temperature is a transient effect. The heat eventually is lost elsewhere. It does not stay in the atmosphere. And the global warming crowd has latched on to this supposed assumption that everything is getting hot. Its not. There is no data to back this assumption.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I am struggling to understand Bade's Energy budget chart.. I am unable to understand % add ups
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

SaiK, it adds up right since I double checked before posting it. Take proper care of the different pathways as illustrated well in both the color and thickness of the bars and connections/flow.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Data since 1880 onwards...who say there is no ocean data.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/time-series/global
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

The thing with computer models is that they can easily be tweaked to get the desirable outcome. The thing is those computer models could NOT quite predict the climate correctly. Their predictions in 1998 have not proved to be correct. According to the computer models of Mann & co, there should have been no pause or decline in temperatures from 1998. But, there is atleast pause or maybe even decline from 1998 onwards. This is the problem and they are trying to find tricks to hide the decline.
Bade wrote:SaiK, it adds up right since I double checked before posting it. Take proper care of the different pathways as illustrated well in both the color and thickness of the bars and connections/flow.
noob question: how are they getting these percentages?
Bade wrote:Data since 1880 onwards...who say there is no ocean data.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/time-series/global
Which ocean is this?
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

That is global ocean, you can see the land and ocean temperature anomaly separately or combined.

The "trick" you keep referring to is not a sleight of hand, it has been verified by many independently and papers published. Check skpetical science if you want the details....will post when I get time...it has to do with tree-ring data sensitivity to increase in temperature...
noob question: how are they getting these percentages?
Read the physics today article I linked earlier by Ramanathan et al. Mostly satellite for top of the atmosphere (TOA) measurements...which are fairly accurate...better than a fraction (1/10) of a %. As an example to measure something even at a few % level just above the surface of the ocean, the TOA accuracy required is 10 times better. As anyone who has dealt with any instrumentation in their life knows, systematics have to be taken care of first and calibration is of primary importance. Someone can come and randomly say, it is all fudged etc with no basis. So the cycle of misinformation can continue....
Last edited by Bade on 09 Dec 2015 22:02, edited 1 time in total.