Indian Railways Thread (Dec 2015)

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
vsunder
BRFite

Re: Indian Railways Thread (Dec 2015)

Post by vsunder »

Another important project in East-West connectivity but lower down, in the Peninsula. This is between Goa and the new Andhra capital Amravati, Vijayawada and Machilipatnam port.

1. Guntakal-Hubbali doubling 23 km left and electrification left between Ballari and Goa. Doubling left between Londa and Vasco-da-Gama(113km). Guntakal-Vasco-da-Gama is 457 km out of which 136km left for doubling and 411 km left for electrification.

2. Guntakal-Dhone-Nandyal-Guntur(401 km) single line electrification completed recently.
Doubling is taking place. Beyond Guntur to Tenali(23km), already electrified and doubling to be commissioned this fiscal. In the area of Tenali, doubling and electrification is taking place to Machilipatnam port and also between Venkatachalam and Krishnapatnam port.

Doubling works between Nallapadu and Nandyal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MMPvZ5kC6k

Between Guntur and Nandyal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-kcpTsSJOw
viveks
BRFite

Post by viveks »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vDkjEEYsTU

Humari pyari gourment...kya kya kamal kar bathti hai....hume bada pasand aya. Let us hope you give us the same in J&K...despite hardships.
mridulmm
BRFite -Trainee

Post by mridulmm »

Train 18 to be introduced on M'luru-B'luru route: Goyal

https://www.deccanherald.com/city/train ... 19739.html
“We will introduce it on routes connecting major cities. An indigenously developed automatic signalling system will also be installed on these routes,”
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

MAQ route from BLR needs regular daily trains first before fancy kit like T-18 can be considered. Each city is more connected (by rail) to Chennai than each other. Not to mention it is mostly an unelectrified single line with a steep ghat section thrown in, so speed is not an option.

If a premium product is being thought of, a fast overnight Humsafar or A/C express would be more useful and provide stiff competition to the Volvo bus lobby. The demand surely exists.
Rishi_Tri
BRFite

Post by Rishi_Tri »

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 119972.cms

New Bullet Trains routes in consideration. They should add Chennai - Hyderabad to it. Also Chennai - Bhubaneshwar. It shall be spectacular along the coast.
vsunder
BRFite

Post by vsunder »

Automatic signalling has been commissioned on Feb 20th between Bangalore Cantt and Whitefield. This will allow more capacity and less detention for trains plying between Bangalore and Chennai.

Mangalore-Hyderabad is a mistake ^^^ it must be Bangalore-Hyderabad. This is seeing doubling, but still large parts are single lined though completely electrified. Yellahanka-Gooty is single lined and onwards Gooty-Hyderabad is single lined. As I posted above doubling is being done. But till doubling is fully done in 3-4 years, Train 18 will not achieve its potential between Bangalore and Hyderabad.

Mangalore to Bangalore had no rail connection for years. Only in the 1980's a meter gauge line was put in. Gauge conversion was done in great haste in the mid 1990's. Meter gauge tracks were pulled up in haste and then nothing happened, people said it was the bus lobby who were stymying gauge conversion to rake in the moolah. Incidentally the ruling gradient between Mangalore and Sakleshpur on the ghat is 1:50. This is less than 1:37 on the Bhor and Thull ghats out of Mumbai towards Pune and Igatpuri.

There is a certain paranoia in Karnataka about the bus lobby in Mangalore and the so-called Malayali lobby that supposedly diverts all Mangalore bound trains towards Kerala and also thwarts all attempts to make Mangalore a railway division and part of SWR, so that Namboodripad sitting in Pallakad division can appoint only Malayalis to positions in Mangalore. This may be true except last I checked DRM Pallakad is a Pratap Singh ji. It is quite amusing to read all this, the Indian penchant for conspiracy theories and gossip reaches its full flow with the Malayali mafia and bus mafia issue as it relates to Mangalore railways and Bangalore-Mangalore connectivity by rail, I am of the opinion some liberal arts departments may find several PhD thesis topics here.

Some of these bus owners are known to me, they do whore around some, donate money to the party in power in Bangalore and get rewarded by the state Rajyotsava award, but they seem too dumb to influence policy in Delhi esp. under the current dispensation. All of them suffer major ailments like heart issues, hypertension and diabetes and are universally obese and do pop off at regular intervals. Most plough their money back into wine shops, constructing marriage halls and hotels etc. and their trips to Dubai "on business" which are just a fig leaf for whore humping trips that exacerbates their ailments and contributes to their early demise. Their business acumen will not go beyond that. And the wine shop bit--it is called that, though I doubt the owners know the difference between a Chianti a Gewurtzraminer or that excellent beverage Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, not that the bus owner cares. I have never seen wine in any of these wine shops, neither vino or wein.
Going back to this bus mafia, it is not easy to get a meeting with the PM or the rail Mantri so I am not sure how they can lobby a central minister. The current MP Nalin Kumar Kateel of the BJP is a cipher, that is true and has never effectively lobbied hard for Dakshin Kannada. Neither does he ask for help in formulating policy for his district.
He is notorious in making the statement we will turn MAJN into a world class station. But such platitudes and sermonizing can only take you so far.

I do use the bus, as it is fast and takes 7 hours to reach the cities and one has berths in the sleeper buses. So one can sleep comfortably and get out midway at Hassan for a cup of coffee at midnight.
Flying on the 20min flight is an option but getting to BIAL is a nightmare. The last I used the train was 1992 when it was still a meter gauge track. Coming back from Bangalore I had a first class coupe all to myself and spent the early morning enjoying the ghat scenery in early January.

By bus I also get dropped off close to where my Man Friday, and the person whom I call my scrounger (who can find food even in a barren place, these two are with me in my jaunts across India )can pick me up in Mangalore. They are 4 laning Bangalore-Mangalore and the 4 laning has reached Ballupet, near Sakleshpur about 113 km from Mangalore. Landslides are common both on the train route and on the bus route in the infamous Shiradi ghat and the 4 lane projects never progress, even L&T is now embroiled in a tussle now to do the 4 laning from Ballupet onwards to Bantwal and then Mangalore, the other company Isolex(??) has declared bankruptcy. One could in the spirit of conspiracy theories blame IR conspiring to thwart 4 laning the highway no? But the logic here goes only one way. So the tamasha is very enjoyable.

Once the 4 laning is complete, either the railway will be used extensively for freight or like South America only hobos will take the train or die hard railway enthusiasts. The Indian rage for a motor car will assert itself since it will be faster and take you the last mile quicker, which the bus does effectively now. In any case then the bus companies will give IR a run for their money. Then the paranoia may shift to blaming the Knights Templars, the Illuminati and the Anti-Christ.

Regarding the railway tunnels. In 1969 I went on vacation from Cawnpore to Mangalore. I was told to meet Shri V. L. Roche who out of his "patriotic" sense of duty was tunneling from Mangalore on what would turn out to be the first tunnel at Kulshekhar ( a suburb of Mangalore) of the Konkan railway and also one of the tunnels on the Hassan-Mangalore section. There was no Konkan anything those days and this first tunnel at Kulshekhar formed part of the Mangalore-Panambur(Mangalore port) section with a connection to the Hassan line.
I remember going to Roche's house which doubled as his construction HQ. I knocked and the door was opened by Roche's stunning daughter, who also then with her father pulled on her boots and proceeded to give me a tour of the tunnel face. Sadly Roche went bankrupt, the tunnel would flood in the heavy Mangalore rains, many workers were killed as the soil was not stable. It was known this was a difficult project and most companies overbid, except Roche who was saddled with a huge financial mess though to his credit he completed the project. While writing this I tried to see what I could find on him and I indeed found a short write up on V. L. Roche and it mentions the Kulshekhar tunnel.

http://barkuronline.com/barkuronline/Mo ... roche.html
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

^^ Sir, since I mentioned the bus lobby, I take it your response was to my post.

As you say, the bus lobby may very well be a figment of imagination, but I think you may agree that it is very commonly spoken of in these parts. That, coupled with continuing pathetic connectivity between these two cities indicates some smoke, so there must be a fire somewhere. Generally, if you observe, SWR has been very lethargic when it comes to running passenger trains within Karnataka. It's not that all of SWR routes are so freight heavy that there is no capacity to operate passenger trains. Forget MAQ, even UBL (which is not that terrain challenged) has two daily dedicated expresses from SBC, and the rest are passenger trains or roundabout trains like the Hampi express. One only has to look yonder at SCR or SR: how well each part of AP or TN/KL are connected to the HQ, and to each other. Principal cities like BZA, VSKP, CBE, MDU, TPJ etc. have so many options. Also, see how KL effectively got KR to run multiple trains serving the state very well, to the point that the Konkan districts (of KA) are better connected to KL and Mumbai than to other parts of Karnataka. Only recently, a very reluctant SWR launched a train to Karwar, which itself splits at MAQ into a portion for Kannur, which again is in KL!

Continuing uselessness of rail ministers from Karnataka (KA has had the highest number of railway ministers from the southern states) to get any improvements for the state only underline the sad state of affairs*. Eventually, such conspiracy theories spring up and hold sway. Only recently, as you have pointed out multiple times, has infra improvements started happening, hopefully things will change after this. This change also came about post Suresh Prabhu only, and was not restricted to a particular state/zone.

One could make an argument that most of SWR is single un-electrified track, so more trains cannot be operated. Perhaps, but SR somehow managed to run Rockfort, Pandian, Nellai, Pearl City, Sethu, Chendur, Podhigai, Kanniyakumari, Ananthapuri, Rameswaram express, etc. daily on a majorly single line diesel line till recently. All overnight trains, connecting different parts of central and south TN and KL to MS (Egmore). And there is still talk of a bus lobby in Chennai :mrgreen:, but it's not very credible given the options available there.

Lastly, why would these bus owners need to lobby at Delhi - they only need to talk to someone at SWR HQ (or even the DRM at SBC/MYS) who'll have to mention capacity constraints and decline to operate any new trains. At the end of the day, it is not the Rail Min or RB that schedules the trains, it is a zonal responsibility. If the zone determines that the schedule is not feasible, the train does not see the light of day. That's what the SWR bosses kept saying after the Sakelshpur-Subramanya ghat section opened to traffic when people asked for trains to MAQ, and finally conceded to a non-daily day train, and even now has added a sum total of 1 daily train on this route. Yet another SWR train was launched recently, but that takes a whopping 17 hours between SBC and MAQ because it traverses via TN and KL to get to MAQ! If these don't show where SWR's priorities lie, I don't know what does.

* It is not my case that union ministers should work only for the states that elected them. Not at all. But poor connectivity eventually affects development: among the southern states (TS is a new one so it will get a pass), KA is the most lopsided when it comes to the spread of development: an oversized Bangalore is followed up by much smaller cities and towns, so more and more people migrate to BLR in search of livelihoods. We all know the current state of BLR. Poor connectivity is a contributing factor in interior KA not developing as much as, say the Salem-CBE, Kumbakonam-Thanjavur or the Ernakulam-Kannur belt. So such questions eventually do arise.
vsunder
BRFite

Post by vsunder »

Arshyam, my post was not directed at you. I hold you in high esteem as someone very knowledgeable and whose posts I enjoy reading for their content. It is a fact though that the level to which the bus lobby and Malayali lobby is blamed for poor connectivity is taken to extreme levels of paranoia. There are even fora formed on the Internet to lobby against this and sign petitions.
Yes it is true many Rail mantris came from Karnataka, C. Poonacha, TMA Pai of the Manipal syndicate bank family and who introduced Janata Jayanthi, George Fernandes, Jaffer Sharief, , Mallikarajun Kharge, Sadananada Gowda etc. But as you correctly point out there was little that Karnataka gained. It still has very little electrification and double lines. Part of this is the large number of lines that had to be gauge converted and SWR being a hodge podge of various zones put together Central railway, SR and SCR had no heritage of strong administrative structure like the SR or SCR and which you correctly point out did far better. The other defect was to put zone HQ at Hubli away from the center of power that is Bangalore. I do not see any hope and with people like MP Nalin Kumar Kateel who cannot lobby effectively not much can be done. On the other hand Mysore MP Pratap Simha is very vocal and has lobbied the Rail minister hard and gotten things. See his twitter feed. It may be true that the bus lobby has such an overpowering influence, but certainly a vocal and dedicated MP can bring a DRM to heel and point out to the Rail mantri that his or her district is in need of better connectivity to the state capital. Traditionally though most young men from Dakshin Kannada always went to Mumbai and made it there. George Fernandes is such an example. My dad followed the same route. Bangalore for a long time appeared a remote place for people from the coast. There was poor connectivity with Bangalore before the railways, but people used ships to travel to Mumbai till the late 1960's. I myself traveled on SS Sabarmati of the Scindia Steam navigation company many times.
It will be a while before good connectivity is achieved between Bangalore and interior Karnataka. I have already posted many videos about it but I will list them.
All of these developments came about because of the Modi government pushing hard. Even the gauge conversion under the initial impetus of Jaffer Sharief and project Unigauge was not done in a good way. Broad gauge lines were laid on bridges that were capable of only metre gauge loads. Now this is being addressed also as in the case of the bridge over River Bhima that is being built between Hotgi-Gadag to take both lines as part of the doubling project(the current bridge that was a relic of the metre gauge era and carries the single BG line will be condemned) and over River Krishna between Londa and Miraj at Ugar Kudachi and on the Tungabhadra near Harihar on the Hubli-Bangalore route. Also Guntakal-Hubli is being doubled, Bangalore-Hubli doubling and Gadag-Hotgi is being doubled. These were all metre gauge lines. Most importantly Bangalore-Guntakal is being doubled and single line is already electrified. So things have happened in the last 4 years after major paralysis in SWR. I have posted video links periodically of the status of these projects which are progressing with speed that is not known on IR. In addition a number of new lines in Karnataka have been sanctioned and there has been steady progress like Gadag-Raichur and Ballari-Tumkur(this has been delayed because of an uncooperative state govt regarding LA issues). And let us not forget that the Hassan-Bangalore new line via Shravanabelagola, which forms a third route to that infamous Mangalore, was only completed under Modi's push, even the strong man of Karnataka Deve Gowda who pushed for the line could not accomplish completion even after 20 years. So as I still maintain a strong push from the center does wonders and a no nonsense rail mantri and a determined PM helps.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

This is what I was waiting for. Mechanization of IR.

http://energyinfrapost.com/indian-railw ... ion-drive/
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

New Manduadih railway station near Varanasi.

https://youtu.be/dwE6LGM5C7E

https://youtu.be/hq9waiVF_M0
Uttam
BRFite

Post by Uttam »

6 ways in which Indian Railways was Modi-fied in last 5 years

I know the title is what some people will consider political, but the achievements listed are exceptional. The two that stand out are rate of electrification and drop in accidents due to unmanned crossings. Very uplifting.
Last edited by Uttam on 25 Feb 2019 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the changes started under suresh prabhu from 2014 but took some time to gather momentum...his successor is reaping the publicity and goodwill.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

It picked up under Piyush Goyal.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

^URL for the above needs to be fixed, link to actual article https://www.mynation.com/news/6-ways-in ... ars-pnhe3x
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Supratik wrote:It picked up under Piyush Goyal.
Yes but that is how things naturally work - it takes time for the rate of change to build, at least on the scale of the Indian Railways.
VenkataS
BRFite

Post by VenkataS »

Rishi_Tri wrote:https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 119972.cms

New Bullet Trains routes in consideration. They should add Chennai - Hyderabad to it. Also Chennai - Bhubaneshwar. It shall be spectacular along the coast.
Ignoring Hyderabad in the 10 routes being considered for Bullet train corridors is baffling.
I wonder what the logic was in planning for a Kolkata-Patna route but ignoring any one of the following ones which are more lucrative ones in terms of business potential:
Hyderabad- Bangalore
Hyderabad-Tirupathi-Chennai
Hyderabad-Vijayawada-Vizag
Uttam
BRFite

Post by Uttam »

disha wrote:^URL for the above needs to be fixed, link to actual article https://www.mynation.com/news/6-ways-in ... ars-pnhe3x
Thank You!
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

VenkataS wrote:
Rishi_Tri wrote:https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 119972.cms

Ignoring Hyderabad in the 10 routes being considered for Bullet train corridors is baffling.
I wonder what the logic was in planning for a Kolkata-Patna route but ignoring any one of the following ones which are more lucrative ones in terms of business potential:
Hyderabad- Bangalore

Bang-Hyd-MAS triangle is a must.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Rishi_Tri
BRFite

Post by Rishi_Tri »

Karthik S wrote:
VenkataS wrote:
Hyderabad- Bangalore

Bang-Hyd-MAS triangle is a must.
Even I am left scratching my head. MAS - HYD should be High Speed Rail and so should be BNG - MAS. Given that MAS - HYD has relatively less topographical challenges, High Speed Rail is no brainer. Cannot fathom the thinking there.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

These routes are being thrown in the air. New routes for HSR have not been decided. Their priority will be the DFC, electrification, doubling/tripling and semi-high. HSR is going to speed up only after 2025 or 2030 when the economy will be better placed to absorb the cost.
vsunder
BRFite

Post by vsunder »

On March 2, Gangavathi the Rice Bowl of Karnataka will appear on the Railway map. Ginigera-Raichur new line.

Two days ago CRS inspection was done between Minchinyal-Vijayapura-Jumnal doubling on Gadag-Hotgi doubling. With commissioning in a few weeks 75 km/284 km will be doubled. NTPC has paid money to IR to double and electrify Hotgi-Kudgi as Kudgi has a super thermal power plant and numerous steel plants and industries are coming up in this backward part of Northern Karnataka. Here is the doubling in progress as shot on video on Jan 19th between Minchnal and Vijayapura:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARgndnb ... Pg&index=2

Doubling on this route is being hampered with a non-availability of rails. Earthworks are at advanced stage. Photo of the CRS inspection Feb 24-25

https://scontent.fblr2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5CEC15E7

The area around here is sort of the heart of the Dattatreya sampradya based in Ganagapura on the Mumbai-Chennai line near Kalaburgi(Gulbarga). The Pandharpur
varkari sampradaya also has many sites associated with it in this area, the Bhaktavijaya Lilamrita talks of the lives of these saints and the best translation I know of it from the Marathi to English is by Rev. Justin Abbott.

This forum gets so caught up in HSR and Train 18 that it forgets that things like Hassan-Bangalore new line and the new line to Gangavathi and Raichur open up the hinterland in many profound ways. This line too like the Hassan-Bangalore new line was promised by Deve Gowda 20 years ago and foundation stone laid and nothing came of it. Finally:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 864592.cms
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

Railways starts displaying reservation charts, vacant seats online
By PTI | Updated: Feb 27, 2019, 09.27 PM IST

On the lines of airlines, the Indian Railways has started displaying reserved charts online to allow its passengers to see the status of seats while booking a particular train. The user-friendly interface will give graphical representation of the train coaches and berth-wise accommodation status on IRCTC website. Railway Minister Piyush Goyal said Wednesday that the reservation charts will now be available for public viewing on the internet and will facilitate the prospective passengers in
getting the information of the vacant berths available in the train after the preparation of the chart. The system is now available on all trains across the railway network. "Complete information of vacant berths from train source as well as intermediate locations will be available to the user. Prospective customer can use the information for onboard booking of vacant berths by TTE as per business rules. This feature is available in web as well as mobile version.

"This will make the entire process transparent," he said. Just like booking a ticket in an airline, the website of the Indian Railways will show the seating layout with different colours to show the seats that are booked, vacant and partially booked The system displays coach layout of nine classes used in the reserved trains of the Indian Railways and more than 120 different coach layout have been incorporated. This feature displays class-wise and coach-wise fully vacant berth availability information as per the First Chart of the train. First Chart is prepared four hours in advance to train departure.
If the second chart is also prepared, then the option to view the details of vacant berth available at the time of second chart will also be displayed. The second chart is prepared about 30 minutes prior to the departure of the train to accommodate the information of current reservations and cancellations done after first chart.

Both the charts will get updated for every charting location as the train heads towards it's destination. In addition to this, user will also have facility to view exact position of the berth allocated to a PNR in the graphical coach layout during PNR enquiry. In the next 20 days, the facility will be available for Shatabdi and Rajdhani passengers at originating station even after the train has departed the station, Girish Pillai, Member, Traffic, Railway Board said.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/in ... s?from=mdr
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

New railway zone for Andhra, to be headquartered in Visakhapatnam: Piyush Goyal
PTI|Feb 27, 2019, 08.29 PM IST

Railway Minister Piyush Goyal Wednesday announced a new railway zone for Andhra Pradesh.

The new railway zone -- Southern Coast Railway -- will be headquartered in Visakhapatnam, Goyal said.

The decision comes four days after a BJP delegation from the state met Goyal in the national capital demanding formation of a railway zone.
In a memorandum submitted to Goyal, they had said the north Andhra region, comprising Srikaulam, Vizianagaram and Visakhapatnam districts, is "very backward and needs impetus for development".

The Andhra Pradesh BJP leaders had said that during the 2014 general elections, they had assured the public that a railway zone would come up at Visakhapatnam

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/in ... 188916.cms
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

Get real-time Indian Railways information with Rail Drishti! PNR enquiry to status of trains; top 10 points

By: Devanjana Nag | Published: February 25, 2019 10:10 PM

Indian Railways goes transparent with new Rail Drishti Dashboard! PNR enquiry, status of Mail/Express trains or any real-time data about Indian Railways is now available at the click of a button on a new digital portal – raildrishti.cris.org.in. Railway Minister Piyush Goyal has today inaugurated the new Rail Drishti Dashboard portal. From now on, people will be easily able to access information related to Indian Railways, get details of freight trains and passengers trains as well as rail time table, view live feeds of various railway kitchens across the country among other facilities, through the newly introduced Rail Drishti Dashboard.

Moreover, information on passenger reservation, unreserved ticketing, freight earnings etc., can also be accessed through the portal, which has been developed by the Centre for Railway Information Systems (CRIS).

We take a look at top 10 things that every Indian Railways passenger should know about the Rail Drishti Dashboard:

1) Under its service category, the Rail Drishti Dashboard provides information such as PNR Enquiry, Complaint Enquiry, Tender Enquiry, ODC Enquiry, Shramik Enquiry and FNR Enquiry.

2) It also gives access to Sugam – a freight app. Under this category, users can get booking information like freight calculator, freight rates, booked route information, terminal details etc.

3) Passengers or railway users can view live feeds of several railway kitchens across the country namely, Ahmedabad, Balasore, Guntakal, Jhansi, Katihar, Katpadi, Kota, Mumbai BCT, Mumbai CSMT, Noida, Pune, Renigunta, Sealdah, Vijayawada railway stations.

4) The Rail Drishti Dashboard also provides information on how many Mail or Express trains and suburban trains are running at the moment. A train search option has also been provided to find the details of any desired train easily.

5) Achievements of Indian Railways can also be found in the Rail Drishti Dashboard including redevelopment of railway stations, electrification of rail lines, signalling, cleanliness on railway tracks, catering etc. State-wise information on this is also available.

6) People can also get information on the heritage of Indian Railways, including details on residential colonies by railways, timetables from the past, railway heritage in the North East, Regional Rail Museum of Howrah etc.

7) The Rail Drishti Dashboard also provides information on freight earnings on the basis of commodity-wise and zone wise. Moreover, information on freight loading and unloading is also available on the portal.

8 ) In a bid to make the mechanism more transparent, details on passenger earnings, unreserved ticketing of suburban as well as non-suburban railways have been made available as well.

9) The portal also gives data on expenditure (revenue) as well as expenditure (works) of Indian Railways. It also highlights the zone with the lowest percentage increase in revenue expenditure.

10) Information on bills paid by Indian Railways and bills that are pending is available as well. Zone-wise data is also available.

https://www.financialexpress.com/infras ... n/1498326/
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

Railways launches new dashboard named Rail Drishti
TNN | Feb 25, 2019, 10.22 PM IST

ALLAHABAD: Prayagraj :D A new dashboard, named Rail Drishti, has been launched by the Indian Railways. The new passenger oriented dashboard, which serves multiple users from booking to spotting the train or the booked freight or kitchen services, was launched by the Minister for Railways and Coal Piyush Goyal in Delhi, on Monday.

The chief public relation officer (CPRO), North Central Railways, G K Bansal informed that the new dashboard, encompassing all the digitisation efforts in Indian Railways and promoting transparency and accountability brings information from various sources on a single platform and gives access to key statistics and parameters to every citizen of the country.

This dashboard can be accessed using a desktop/laptop or a mobile device such as a phone or tablet and the url of the dashboard is “raildrishti.cris.org.in”.

Piyush Goyal, while quoting Gandhiji, said, "I understand democracy as something that gives the weaker the same chance as the strong" and said that to make people of India aware of the projects going on in Railways, Rail Drishti Dashboard has been launched today. The customer or railway passenger will get an exposure through this dashboard to the multifaceted transformation underway in Indian Railways across the country.

CPRO further said that the available information under the dashboard has been categorized under 15 user friendly sections. The headings include ‘at a glance’ wherein passenger reservation, unreserved ticketing, freight earnings and freight loading for different periods are displayed. Information on any station on Indian Railways can be viewed in this tab.

Likewise, under the heading services, passengers can view and avail the status of any digital service like PNR enquiry, ODC application enquiry, complaint enquiry, tender enquiry, shramik enquiry and freight related enquiries. For citizen’s convenience links to eight important railway websites are also made available here.

Under trains on run, passengers can now track any train on the Indian Railways network. Under IRCTC kitchens, the dashboard provides a facility to view live feeds from the cameras installed in various IRCTC base kitchens. Passengers can now view how the food being served to them in trains is being cooked and packed.

Similarly, there are headings like grievances, achievements, station images, heritage, bills etc, said the CPRO.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 158035.cms
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Home> Business > Industry
Rajdhani, Shatabdi and Duronto trains to get faster! Railways rolls out semi high-speed locomotive WAP-7HSBusiness
Updated Mar 01, 2019 | 07:00 IST | ET Now Digital

In order to enhance the speed of the engine, around 14 tonnes of weight has been reduced and the great has been changed. The software has also been modified in order to optimize slip-slide control.

New Delhi: Good news for train travellers as Shatabdi, Duronoto and Rajdhani trains to become even faster! Indian Railway recently rolled out WAP-7HS locomotive. It is a semi-high-speed engine which is capable of running at a speed of 160 Kmph. The locomotive is produced by Chittaranjan Locomotive Works (CLW).

It may be noted that the trials will be held for by Electric Loco Shed Ghaziabad and the locomotive will be put into service one the trials are successful. The locomotive will be used to haul trains like Rajdhani, Shatabdi and Duronto. The locomotive is designed and developed by CLW and all the necessary modelling has also been carried out by them.
Rishi_Tri
BRFite

Post by Rishi_Tri »

Rail Drishti is cool. Among others, provides real time status of trains running.

Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

Did a Chennai-Chidambaram road trip. one could see the Villupuram Tricky Mainline at a few points. Poles are up until Cuddalore OT, post which Poles couldnt be seen. Also saw at a couple of manned railway crossing, railways have laid the over bridge over the tracks while the earth work on both sides of the tracks are yet to start.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Rishi_Tri wrote:Rail Drishti is cool. Among others, provides real time status of trains running.
Don't know which is the data source for the train running information. If it is the same system used by www.trainenquiry.com or NTES MobileApp, then accuracy would take a hit. Both these two applications rely on a Railway internal application using which railway staff update train movements. Updates are done manually and data could be fudged (and in some railway divisions fudging is the norm).
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

^^ It's based on Rail radar saar. I checked it this morning around 10:00, and it showed only 4 shatabdi expresses as active throughout the country. This, of course, was wrong, but understandable as rail radar works only when someone with the app turned on is on board the train. Then it is super accurate.

I also didn't find the vande Bharat express or the newly launched MDU Tejas express. But both of them showed up on NTES with current status.

I hope there is a plan to fit locos or the guard coaches with GPS trackers. Expecting passengers to help with tracking is nice in theory, but does not scale. Even the humble BMTC here uses GPS trackers installed on all its buses.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

arshyam wrote:^^ It's based on Rail radar saar. I checked it this morning around 10:00, and it showed only 4 shatabdi expresses as active throughout the country. This, of course, was wrong, but understandable as rail radar works only when someone with the app turned on is on board the train. Then it is super accurate.

I also didn't find the vande Bharat express or the newly launched MDU Tejas express. But both of them showed up on NTES with current status.

I hope there is a plan to fit locos or the guard coaches with GPS trackers. Expecting passengers to help with tracking is nice in theory, but does not scale. Even the humble BMTC here uses GPS trackers installed on all its buses.
There are so many railway employees on the train with smart phones why don't they turn on their own phones for this app?
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Just put a geo-locating device in the loco
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

Have seen this as Breaking News on 28th after CCEA meeting. Reservation issue of of J&K residents and this in principal approval of Bridge over River Brahmaputra between Dhubri (on North Bank, Assam) and Phulbari (On South Bank, Meghalaya) was the top decision taken on that meeting.

Due to Border tensions, was busy following those threads & forgot to post it here.
Excellent decision, hope construction progresses smoothly and finishes on time.
(adds to another reason we need NAMO back for that :D )

Press Information Bureau
Government of India //Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA)// 28-February-2019 22:41 IST
Cabinet approves construction of four lane bridge including approaches over River Brahmaputra between Dhubri (on North Bank, Assam) and Phulbari (On South Bank, Meghalaya) on NH-127B with loan assistance from JICA

The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by the Prime Minister today approved construction of four lane bridge including approaches over river Brahmaputra between Dhubri on North Bank and Phulbari on South Bank on NH-127 B in the State of Assam/Meghalaya. The total length of the bridge will be 19.282 km.

The bridge will be built under the scheme of North-East Road Network Connectivity Project Phase-03’ under loan assistance with JICA at the civil construction cost of Rs.3548 crore and total capital cost of Rs.4997.04 crore including the cost of Rs.55.68 crore towards the cost of land acquisition, resettlement & rehabilitation and other pre construction activities. The completion of the project will take approximately six years’ period.

The project has strategic and socio-economic importance. The project shall be an instrument for the development of the most economically backward districts in the states of North East. The construction of this bridge project over river Brahmaputra will save huge travel distance from 205.3 km to only 19.282 km and saving in time of five hours to 20 minutes between Dhubri in Assam and Phulbari in Meghalaya. This alignment will further augment the transport network for the region by providing the shortest link between the western regions of Meghalaya as well as Barak valley region of Assam and southern states in NE namely Manipur, Mizoram and Tripura and the rest of the country, including the ports of Kolkata
http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease. ... lid=189099
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

Another few links on same subject (Centre Approves 4-Lane Bridge over Brahmaputra), with some additional details....

Business Standard
Cabinet approves Dhubri - Phulbari four lane bridge construction over River Brahmaputra
Capital Market Last Updated at March 1, 2019 13:18 IST

https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 396_1.html

North east live tv.com
Cabinet approves construction of Dhubri – Phulbari four lane bridge over river Brahmaputra

https://northeastlivetv.com/2019/03/01/ ... ahmaputra/

Centre Approves 4-Lane Bridge over Brahmaputra
G PLUS NEWS | MARCH 01, 2019 13:55 HRS

GUWAHATI: The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approved a four-lane bridge over river Brahmaputra between Dhubri (on the North Bank) and Phulbari (on South Bank) on February 28.

The total length of the bridge will be 19.282 km, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley told reporters after by the CCEA meeting.

The proposed four-lane bridge will connect the old town of Dhubri in Assam with the village of Phulbari in Meghalaya and shorten a huge amount of travel time.

Currently, those who travel across these states either take the Naranarayan bridge which is a huge inconvenience as it is 60 km upstream or, alternatively, row across the river in small boats which again takes about two and a half hours.

It is to be mentioned that the Dhubri District Administration has already begun the process of land acquisition for construction of roads to accommodate India’s longest river bridge over the Brahmaputra.

Currently, the longest river bridge in India is at 9.15 km, is the Dhola-Sadiya bridge in Assam which became functional in 2017.

https://www.guwahatiplus.com/daily-news ... rahmaputra
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

newspapers reporting opening of 200 km on eastern DFC and 300 km on western DFC... by modi ji.
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

JTull wrote:Just put a geo-locating device in the loco
They can and they may. In fact if i remember correctly one of the publicly stated goals of IRNSS is to track/monitor and assist Indian Railways.

But in my opinion they shouldn't release real time tracking data to public. I think currently NTES also gives train running data with some error (willfully inserted or otherwise latency in track and reporting system).

With our terrorism and Naxalism problem just imagine how much big incident they can cause by using real time train tracking data and using it to blow track/bridges.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Here is a video of the New Ateli-New Phulera section of DFC but I don't see supporting infra for loading-unloading of goods. Is this going to be built end to end or built at some sections or built later?

https://youtu.be/RGsgXJLlHCQ
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Chennai-Madurai Tejas with upgraded rake.

https://youtu.be/KT072FVUVME