Indian Railways Thread (Dec 2015)

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
SSharma
BRFite

Re: Indian Railways Thread (Dec 2015)

Post by SSharma »

what i want to know is, how much jugaad is required to replace a broken laptop lcd with that railway lcd?
Sicanta
BRFite

Post by Sicanta »

Austin wrote:Indian Railways' New 'Luxury' Chair Cars With Aircraft-Like Features

Tejas express i believe. First one is scheduled to ply between lucknow and Anand Vihar Delhi.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

viveks wrote:I don't like the automatic doors concept. What about people who want to smoke? Or simply stand by the door and enjoy the views during the ghat, etc.
If they want to 'smoke' they can always step out and not get back in. You don't ask that question when you are flying from say SFO to DEL for almost 16 hours at a stretch.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

This is a low hanging fruit. Will be great if they get this done.

http://www.freepressjournal.in/india/hi ... 19/1002756
The Indian Railways have identified 11 corridors for running the trains at a “semi-high speed” of 160 km per hour by 2019 and sought sanction of Rs 22,000 crore from the finance ministry in the upcoming union budget. The average speed of the high profile trains like Rajdhani is at present 88 to 90 km per hour.

The project envisages improvement of the rail tracks between Mumbai and Delhi, between Mumbai and Goa, Mumbai and Ahmedabad, Delhi-Kolkata, Nagpur-Hyderabad, Nagpur-Bilaspur, Chennai-Hyderabad, Chennai-Bengaluru, Delhi-Chandigarh, Delhi-Kanpur and Delhi-Agra. The Railways have already started a feasibility study to push for high speed on these routes, though not attaining the high-speed rail corridor between Mumbai and Ahmedabad to run the train at 200 km per hour.

The Railway Ministry sources said the first two tracks to be developed for speeding up the trains’ speed are between Delhi and Mumbai and Delhi and Kolkata. It will enable completion of the journey between Delhi and Mumbai in just 11 hours straight. Presently, the Mumbai Rajdhani takes 16 hours to cover a distance of 1400 km at an average speed of 88 km per hour. At present, only the Gatiman Express moves at a speed of 160 km per hour covering the distance of 188 km between Delhi (Nizamuddin) and Agra in one hour 40 minutes.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Question - does anyone have an "average energy consumed per passenger-kilometer" versus "average train speed". Not that I'm worried about the power needs of high-speed trains, just curious.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

deleted
Last edited by Supratik on 16 Jan 2017 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

deleted
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

SSharma wrote:what i want to know is, how much jugaad is required to replace a broken laptop lcd with that railway lcd?
When every one is having smartphone or tablet or laptop these days what is the need for the stupid cheeni LCD ?
Utter waste! since they could have easily given just a three pin + USB socket(for data & recharging) with a robust on-off switch & left it at that.
I get shocked how our babu's manage to employ their vaunted jugaad skills at jacking up the tender cost to get a cut out of it.

Please someone msg to railmin or pmo to stop this railway robbery of installing lcd panels to each seat.
SSharma
BRFite

Post by SSharma »

Lilo wrote:
SSharma wrote:what i want to know is, how much jugaad is required to replace a broken laptop lcd with that railway lcd?
When every one is having smartphone or tablet or laptop these days what is the need for the stupid cheeni LCD ?
Utter waste! since they could have easily given just a three pin + USB socket(for data & recharging) with a robust on-off switch & left it at that.
I get shocked how our babu's manage to employ their vaunted jugaad skills at jacking up the tender cost to get a cut out of it.

Please someone msg to railmin or pmo to stop this railway robbery of installing lcd panels to each seat.
saar, maybe it is to show videos of what to do in an "aapatkaleen stithi"
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Maybe you should ask RM to tear those fancy seats as well. Need to move passengers in wooden chairs and compete with US and China.
vsunder
BRFite

Post by vsunder »

Bengaluru-Hassan New Line ready for Commissioning and Awaiting CRS inspection:
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/k ... 041668.ece
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

Supratik wrote:Maybe you should ask RM to tear those fancy seats as well. Need to move passengers in wooden chairs and compete with US and China.
Please to stop the strawman arguments.
I am talking about LCD's & you are bringing in chair quality.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

The post was directed to sharma plus you.

What is the problem if they have it? International flights have it. The average Indian passenger doesn't travel with laptops and tablets. And what is with the second part of your post. Trying to eff a good initiative.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

Supratik wrote:The post was directed to sharma plus you.

What is the problem if they have it? International flights have it.
Yea international flight interiors based on iterative designs from 30-40 years ago.
Supratik wrote:The average Indian passenger doesn't travel with laptops and tablets.
Ohh really ?
And what is with the second part of your post. Trying to eff a good initiative.
Its not my problem if you can't comprehend.
The trains wont stop if they dont have a stupid LCD panel on each seat.
When people are going to use(some are already using) VR headsets for HD & 3D content through their smartphones & reclining in their chairs & watching or dozing off,some babu comes & claims that a LCD panel on the chair with the user crouched infront of the small screen craning his neck forward will do wonders for user experience on railways.Whats the use then of the wifi these tejas coaches are going to get ?
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Frankly, I don't understand what is your opposition. I will be more worried of them getting stolen.

The bottomline is that these coaches are a significant jump in IR manufacturing capability and we should appreciate that SP has been able to push IR in the right direction.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

One can never win. Any new features, someone will complain. No new features, then also someone else will complain.
viveks
BRFite

Post by viveks »

saip wrote:
viveks wrote:I don't like the automatic doors concept. What about people who want to smoke? Or simply stand by the door and enjoy the views during the ghat, etc.
If they want to 'smoke' they can always step out and not get back in. You don't ask that question when you are flying from say SFO to DEL for almost 16 hours at a stretch.

Cost of flying is also higher than regular journey by rail. I think it has been banned in a few states but not entirely in each and every part of the country. I cherish the rail journeys when I stand or sit by the open door and listen to the wonderful breeze the journey has to offer, even though I am traveling AC-2 tier. not being able to do that is not something I would not look forward to.
ssundar
BRFite

Post by ssundar »

Automatic doors would save countless lives that are lost in accidents and wanton murder. This is a fundamental safety feature that must be in all trains.

I can see both sides of the argument on the LCD topic. Many (cheapo) airlines have chosen to side with WiFi plus BYOD instead of the good old IFE system. But that is a weight saving measure for airlines. Can't see that being a big hit in Indian trains. We don't have a 80%+ penetration of iPads and tablets in India. IFE systems can potentially be good income generating opportunities.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

One thing w.r.t LCDs that i dont understand is do you all carry 1 ipad/kid when you go on trave? i find giving these ipads to kids are a necessity while carrying 5 ipads a pain so am for this design
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

It seems Kanpur train accident was a terrorist act. Identity of accused not revealed. Wonder if other accidents recently were similar cases.

http://www.india.com/news/india/isi-han ... t-1765495/
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

suryag wrote:One thing w.r.t LCDs that i dont understand is do you all carry 1 ipad/kid when you go on trave? i find giving these ipads to kids are a necessity while carrying 5 ipads a pain so am for this design
I am more worried about the LCDs being stolen/damaged. That they are only in Executive class is good but then you never know who will be travelling in that class and they could be worse (like the third cousin of the fourth brother-in-law of a minister or mla). In some airlines (especially in domestic business class) they have a system of removable LCDs which they issue at the beginning of the flight and collect at the end. If they have a button for calling an attendant they probably have an attendant in the coach.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

^
Actually in the video - the general class is also shown to have LCD displays , the only difference b/w general class & the executive class as decided by the overseeing genius Babu is the reclining chair features (executive class has legsupport & extra head support) :roll:.
.............................................................................................................................................................

A more detailed report on the Bihar police investigation into the kanpur train derailment.
Kanpur train tragedy: Trader from Nepal funded train derailment, find Bihar police
By Anand ST Das | Express News Service | Published: 17th January 2017

PATNA: The train derailment in Kanpur on November 21, in which 150 passengers were killed, might have been planned and funded by anti-India elements based in Dubai, according to a sensational disclosure by police in Bihar’s East Champaran district on Tuesday.

The arrest of three criminals linked to the planting of a bomb on the rail tracks in Bihar’s Raxaul district on October 1 has allowed police in East Champaran district a glimpse into a network of anti-India elements with likely links with Pakistan’s ISI paying money to criminals in India to carry out blasts and sabotage action on rail tracks in the country.

“The recovery of an improvised explosive device on on Raxaul-Sitamarhi route near Ghorasahan railway station on October 1, which disrupted train services for more than 12 hours, was funded by a Dubai-based trader from Nepal named Shamshul Hoda,” said East Champaran SP Jitendra Rana. “There is a possibility that the derailment of Indore-Patna Express and the Shealdah-Ajmer Express were also carried out by these people. Efforts are on to find out more details from the ongoing interrogation,” he added.

Moti Paswan, a criminal who is the main accused in the Ghorasahan case, and two others who were arrested have reportedly confessed to police that they were paid a “big amount” by Hoda to carry out blasts on rail tracks in north India. Police stumbled on the racket while investigating the murder of two Raxaul residents in Nepal.

Three people arrested in Nepal – Brijkishore Giri, Muzahid Ansari and Shambhu – and two other men were active in this group. Giri, the kingpin, had paid money to these people to carry out blasts on rail tracks near Ghorasahan. Umashankar Patel, Mukesh Yadav and Moti Paswan, who have been arrested, had received the money and given the bomb planting task to two other men,” said Rana.

After police detected and recovered the powerful IED and averted a major accident, the two men were punished for their failure. “They were taken to Nepal and brutally killed in a jungle there. Investigation into these two murders unravelled the sinister network,” said Rana.

Police are taking help of ATS and intelligence agencies to explore the entire extent of this network. “The involvement of some agencies from across the border has been detected. Further probe will expose the exact role of these agencies and the likelihood that they were behind the Kanpur derailment,” said Rana.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

How do you know? Like airlines they may have extra service.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Lilo wrote:^
Actually in the video - the general class is also shown to have LCD displays , the only difference b/w general class & the executive class as decided by the overseeing genius Babu is the reclining chair features (executive class has legsupport & extra head support) :roll:.
.............................................................................................................................................................
Executive class has 2x2 layout as opposed to 2x3 in General class.
Sicanta
BRFite

Post by Sicanta »

I don't see what's the issue with lcd screens here. It's a feature that has been available in most shatabdis, namely lucknow, kanpur and kalka, since a year or so.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

^^ Issue is lot of the posters have not travelled by shatabdi or have not seen LCD screen behind chairs in IR locos at all. It is a shock for them.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

from what I recall even the general class shatabdi has reclining seats. and legroom & hiproom is great even in general class vs economy class seat on aircraft. exec class seats are as large as business class in aircraft.
jayasimha
BRFite

Post by jayasimha »

http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease. ... lid=157470

Make in India Railways Sector - Achievement Report
Rishi Verma
BRFite

Post by Rishi Verma »

ISI link Emerges in Kanpur Train Derailment
Patna: The role of Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence or ISI is being suspected in the train accident in Kanpur in November after the arrest in Bihar of three men yesterday. 150 people were killed when 14 coaches of the Indore-Patna Express rolled off the tracks around 100 km from Kanpur on November 20. At the time, a fault in the tracks was thought to be the cause of the accident. The three arrested yesterday have allegedly told the police that they were working for the Pakistani intelligence agency to target Indian railways.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://www.firstpost.com/business/sures ... 07156.html

Generally negative on Indian Railways.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://m.hindustantimes.com/india-news/ ... nFh7L.html

A Spain-made Talgo train did Delhi-Mumbai in 11 hours and 48 minutes.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

I have recently travelled in one Jan Sathabdi train. Seats are quite small to accommodate 3 passengers per one side. It is quite difficult for people to sit for hours in such a confined space. IR need to think more about passengers comfort at least now and charge for it.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

A_Gupta wrote:http://www.firstpost.com/business/sures ... 07156.html

Generally negative on Indian Railways.
That entire article is a sources based piece. Unbelievable that something like this gets past editors.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

Wrt the dismal state of railway finances - I always wonder why the prime land owned by the railways is not leased out agressively to generate revenue?
Every major railway station can have its own mini mall - like how some metro stations in Delhi are already having.
Too much is lying empty afaik - or am I missing something here?
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

^^ It's been tried multiple times, I am not sure why they didn't take off. Considering the prime location of most city stations, this should've been easy.

My guess is, a BOT like scheme will be difficult due to a lack of clear guidelines on property ownership and the impossibility of shutting the station down while being re-developed. Doing it on the fly while the station stays operational will push up costs (construct only at night, f.e.), and is subject to active cooperation from the Railways. The slower the pace of construction, the greater the costs and potential for losses. Uncertainty on these aspects probably keep the private players away - they can simply buy land elsewhere and build malls/complexes much more quickly. So it boils down to the fact that the Railways will have to pay someone to re-develop under their supervision. Given the cash constraints, it becomes all the more difficult.

jm2p, take it FWIW.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Don't worry. It is about to happen. Google 'railway station redevelopment in india' or watch on youtube. They have already tendered out Habibganj station and other are in the process e.g. the Gandhinagar station will have a five start hotel on top. The problem is railways has much more land than this and most of it is encroached by slums. So they will need a redevelopment plan for those. Otherwise passengers will encounter slums after leaving a swanky station. But that has not happened yet.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Lilo wrote:Wrt the dismal state of railway finances - I always wonder why the prime land owned by the railways is not leased out agressively to generate revenue?
Every major railway station can have its own mini mall - like how some metro stations in Delhi are already having.
Too much is lying empty afaik - or am I missing something here?
there be dragons.

that creep derek woe brien made a lot of money by providing " consultancy " when TMC was holding the ministry and every party has got tons of such "consultants" who will always be fortuitously placed sons, daughters, sons in law and what not.

If not directly fronting, they will be lurking in the shadows.

leasing railway land to private players is the sure road to future inquiries and scandals. my two paise onlee.
Nick_S
BRFite

Post by Nick_S »

A_Gupta wrote:http://m.hindustantimes.com/india-news/ ... nFh7L.html

A Spain-made Talgo train did Delhi-Mumbai in 11 hours and 48 minutes.
How long do the IR high speed trains normally take?
Talgo trains have articulated bogies, light-weight shells with all aluminium coaches and a design that allows natural tilting of coaches, enabling it to negotiate curves at high speed.
Talgo coaches weigh 17 tonnes against the 51 tonnes of conventional Indian coaches. :shock:
Just the weight reduction alone would allow substantial electricity savings. I hope IR can look into lowering the weight of their new gen coaches.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Talgo trains have articulated bogies, light-weight shells with all aluminium coaches and a design that allows natural tilting of coaches, enabling it to negotiate curves at high speed.
Talgo coaches weigh 17 tonnes against the 51 tonnes of conventional Indian coaches. :shock:
Inspite of weighing so much, how come the IR coaches look all dented. They look so ugly, its an assault on the senses. The colour scheme is not pretty either. May be they should use some of that weight to make sturdy and aesthetic exterior.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

It is a machining problem. They are probably not using latest tech. LHB rakes are lighter and smoother than the ICF dabbas which are being phased out (will stop production from 2017).