Currency Demonetisation and Future course of Indian Economy

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Re: Currency Demonitisation and Future course of Indian Economy

Post by kmkraoind »

Manish_Sharma wrote:No my question was that if this move will weaken daal dalals enough that they don't repeat their dirty game in punjab and UP elections.
I hope Doval-Modi has factored in, and probably have enough ears on ground. May be there will be some minor slippages or lone wolf types, but there wont be big situations. Crazywal must be fukked up. He has stashed enough monies (extortions, Khalistan money), and he will become hysterical. Mullah-Behan's mafia too would be big losers, and expect more shrill noises (intolerance, communalism type noises), but they cant harm much.

Pakistan-Dawood will be highly pissed off. Modi has cut their cash cow (FICN networks), expect more border flareups and some localized unlawfulness in WB. But in Punjab-UP, situation will be tense, but no big issues. Mango man in the street is supporting Modi, if any big ruckus happens, they will easily connect the dots, so opponents will be careful not to rock the boat.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Yes support in the street is overwhelming, last night paanwala was accepting 500 rupee notes in joy, around 11' in night saying "koi baat nahin in saaley kaaley dhan walon ki phategi, hamara mehnat ka paisa hai, kal bete ko bhej kar bank mein dalwa doonga..."
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

from whatsapp
Anna Hazare is planning to change his name to Anna Dohazare
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

I have spoken many normal workers staff and others since morning. Most of them are jubilant that NM had done this. Many are surprised about the manner in which it was all kept as secret. Few even said NM life might be in danger.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

The only chaiwala on planet earth who can wake a billion people up without chai - N.Modi.

MohdKav
BRFite

Post by MohdKav »

Gold Surges, Hits Rs.31,600
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

MohdKav wrote:Gold Surges, Hits Rs.31,600
Perhaps those who are selling off their stocks are parking their money in Gold.
nirav
BRF Oldie

Post by nirav »

The gold spike is wrt to equity markets down spike.

We might think we can, but we can't really impact global gold price by that much.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

How can you buy gold from jewelers now with your black money ?
JohnTitor
BRFite

Post by JohnTitor »

Isn't there a law for that. I thought you needed aadhaar card for gold purchases more than 1 lakh. No?
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

My guess is that folks are talking of gold price on exchanges i,e gold ETF prices. This is white money from Stocks to gold ETF's.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

The answer to the question of 'these are powerful people, what if they do this, what if they do that's etc is

Their power comes from the power of the money. That paper they hold is no longer a source of power, but a source of liability. They cannot pass on the risk to somebody else as nobody will be willing to assume that risk. And it can still be traced back to source. So what's the point.
JohnTitor
BRFite

Post by JohnTitor »

MohdKav wrote:Gold Surges, Hits Rs.31,600
Much as you wish this has nothing to do with India.

Trump victory has pushed the dollar lower, hence the rise in commodity prices
nirav
BRF Oldie

Post by nirav »

Yes, but gold etf prices are linked to the actual price of gold.. rise and fall of which is mostly co related with rise and fall of equity markets and volatility..

Gold demand may go up in the short to medium term due to this radical move but there's enough supply in the world markets to absorb one country's increased demand..
JohnTitor
BRFite

Post by JohnTitor »

ETF prices are driven by the underlying

Good prices up 2% today. All Trump related, nothing to do with India

http://goldprice.org
kapilrdave
BRFite

Post by kapilrdave »

There is practically NO gold in shops in Ahmedabad today.

I don't have any black money to hide but just when I learned about this news at around 9PM, I accurately anticipated the gold to shoot up the next day i.e. today. I ran to the gold shops to buy some gold to make some quick money but no jeweler was ready to sell to me even when I offered to pay by cheque. The price was Rs.30900 yesterday.

I tried to check what's the price today and learnt that gold is trading at Rs.45000 in the city irrespective of global prices :shock: . Even at that price no gold is available. Neither biscuit nor jewelry!

Then I counter offered if the jeweler would buy my gold at Rs.45000 ? :mrgreen: All jewelers refused :(( :((
Now I have to find someone with a pile in the room to buy my paltry amount of gold :) .
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

http://www.businesstoday.in/money/banki ... 39681.html

Given the announcement made by the government last night, there has been a surge in the prices of gold in the black market. Local jewellers have been selling gold at the rate of Rs 40,000-Rs 60,000 per 10 gm by showing back-dated entries in their book. Currently the metal has been trading at Rs 30,610 per 10 gm.

According to sources, people have been queuing up at jewellery shops to buy gold. But there is a limit up to which one can buy gold through cash. To curb unethical practices the government has made PAN card compulsory for gold purchase over Rs 2 lakh.
alexis
BRFite

Post by alexis »

Interesting thread and comments. My views based on my discussions with friends (we are all corporate bankers in Mumbai):

1. This move seems to be directed against financial terrorism and NGO funding than black money; The percentage of black money kept as cash is not large enough to impact the large sharks. However, this will adversely impact political parties who would have kept large hordes of cash for incoming elections - hence is a master stroke by PM Modi (assuming BJP would have accumulated only small denominations)
2. There will be impact on the real estate prices but not much (<15-20%); so there needs to be no undue alarm and will not affect common man very much
3. Small scale traders not paying taxes will be affected adversely. These people are trying to convert cash into gold in large quantities and unofficial price of gold has hit the roof (as mentioned by kapil above). Also reports are coming that people are willing to exchange Rs.1000 for Rs.800 and even lower.
4. This is going to hurt common man for the next 1-2 weeks are transactions are going to be minimal and discretionary spending will be affected. There will be some impact on GDP growth this year. But this will have a positive impact in the long run and move towards a cashless economy is beneficial to all.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

http://www.firstpost.com/business/ban-o ... 96146.html
Quote:
According to basic calculations, with a daily limit of Rs 4,000 a day, a maximum of Rs 60,000 can be exchanged by a person, in 15 days from 10 November to 24 November. From 24 November onwards, the exchange process will be eased for convenience, meaning the exchange limit will be increased. However, there is no limit on deposits.
Oops so i made a mistake - its 4000 per day !

Yensoy ji,
I think your numbers for high denomination circulation(one year from now) are more realistic than my 24 times reduction scenario.
viewtopic.php?p=2070267#p2070267
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

kmkraoind wrote:
Manish_Sharma wrote:No my question was that if this move will weaken daal dalals enough that they don't repeat their dirty game in punjab and UP elections.
I hope Doval-Modi has factored in, and probably have enough ears on ground. May be there will be some minor slippages or lone wolf types, but there wont be big situations. Crazywal must be fukked up. He has stashed enough monies (extortions, Khalistan money), and he will become hysterical. Mullah-Behan's mafia too would be big losers, and expect more shrill noises (intolerance, communalism type noises), but they cant harm much.

Pakistan-Dawood will be highly pissed off. Modi has cut their cash cow (FICN networks), expect more border flareups and some localized unlawfulness in WB. But in Punjab-UP, situation will be tense, but no big issues. Mango man in the street is supporting Modi, if any big ruckus happens, they will easily connect the dots, so opponents will be careful not to rock the boat.

khujliwal and mamta have actually expressed their outrage!!

many others simply dare not.

JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

kapilrdave wrote:There is practically NO gold in shops in Ahmedabad today.

I don't have any black money to hide but just when I learned about this news at around 9PM, I accurately anticipated the gold to shoot up the next day i.e. today. I ran to the gold shops to buy some gold to make some quick money but no jeweler was ready to sell to me even when I offered to pay by cheque. The price was Rs.30900 yesterday.

I tried to check what's the price today and learnt that gold is trading at Rs.45000 in the city irrespective of global prices :shock: . Even at that price no gold is available. Neither biscuit nor jewelry!

Then I counter offered if the jeweler would buy my gold at Rs.45000 ? :mrgreen: All jewelers refused :(( :((
Now I have to find someone with a pile in the room to buy my paltry amount of gold :) .
Dave Sahab, in some cities rate hit Rs. 55000 :mrgreen:. Yesterday late night gold shops were open. Thos who didn't take PM seriously before 30th Sept, now are having to anyway lose more than half of their money one way or the other. They mush be thinking, could have paid 45% tax then itself. :lol: :lol:

CA commission also has gone up significantly I here. up to 30% of the money saved. :wink: (Don't exactly know how the rate works, my guess.)
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

shiv wrote:Shoot and scoot from me.

Sick and tired after too many decades of driving to work I have started using public transport (currently bus/auto). Rub shoulders with hundreds and there is not a single 500 or 1000 rupee note in sight. Most people in India do day to day transactions of less than Rs 500, many less than 100. If plastic money and direct bank transactions are used for higher value transaction the role of large value notes is ONLY for black money.
+1.

I would say overwhelmingly large majority of people in India would not have more than 10000Rs worth of 500/1000 rs notes to be exchanged for new notes now. Which is not going to affect people. Those who have not paid taxes for many many years while doing business and those who have BM has no ground to complain.

Already spending 1000Rs note was a headache for want of change. So 2000Rs will be even less useful for majority of people and will remain mostly for large transaction. So circulation will be less, plus GOI will throttle supply to curb circulation even further. And now money hoarders will think twice before collecting large amount of cash, you wouldn't know when this 2000 Rs note will become null and Void. :wink: On top of it rumors of Nano GPS chip are making rounds. :lol:
kumarn
BRFite

Post by kumarn »

I have an honest question. I am not an economist so would urge the gurus to humour me a bit.

It is being said that 15 lakh crore worth of 500/1000 notes are under circulation. Most of the common people have under 10k in cash. So it is safe to assume that most of the notes are with people who would not be able to account for this money. What choices do they have? Some will deposit it and face the law. But many wouldn't. They would just burn it (or wbatever they fancy). Let us assume that 5 lakh crores worth of notes gets junked this way.

What would be the affect on the economy if that were to happen? Please be gentle :)
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

I agree. I also find it difficult to use even 500 notes most of the days. It is good that they are removing most of the notes one way or another. Now time to move towards mobile banking and plastic money in full flow. Once that happens no need for even 500 notes, let alone 2000 notes.

Those who have huge hoards of cash has to burn it or donate it to mango people who can, in turn, use them to deposit in their Jan Dhan Yojana accounts. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Just please do not burn in Delhi area. Lot of smoke is already there and Khejiri soon going to add more of it.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

kumarn wrote:I have an honest question. I am not an economist so would urge the gurus to humour me a bit.

It is being said that 15 lakh crore worth of 500/1000 notes are under circulation. Most of the common people have under 10k in cash. So it is safe to assume that most of the notes are with people who would not be able to account for this money. What choices do they have? Some will deposit it and face the law. But many wouldn't. They would just burn it (or wbatever they fancy). Let us assume that 5 lakh crores worth of notes gets junked this way.

What would be the affect on the economy if that were to happen? Please be gentle :)
Fat cats can give many lower level employee a fat bonus
Last edited by pankajs on 09 Nov 2016 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

kumarn wrote:I have an honest question. I am not an economist so would urge the gurus to humour me a bit.

Some one on this thread already had an interesting suggestion. Since the govt knows how much large denomination bills are in circulation and how much will be surrendered, the difference is the amount that is with people who did not turn in the money and would be lost for ever by the economy. The govt can print money in that amount and use for itself in effect imposing a 100% tax on such undisclosed amount.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Not a guru, but would still give my reply.

Some of the money will be brought on the books, there is always way to do that, especially those who have own business. CA's will charge hefty fees for this. So not all the BM will vanish into thin air. Some money will surely get converted to new notes through some insider help (which is not too outlandish assumption for India).

Say I had 1000 Rs and BM, I would go to CA and ask him how much money he can save for me. He takes a good look and says OK, 500 of it could be shown on books somehow. In return he charges 30% of that 500 as his charge. So out of 1000rs, 500rs becomes white on my account, I pay some 100-150rs on that as tax to GOI. I give 150 of the rest 500 to CA as fees. Now since CA also has to dispose of his BM, that 150 rs will come as white money on his account and GOI will get some of it as tax. So about 350rs lose value if I cannot put it into gold or something.

This could work for those who has few Cr as BM, for medium to big fishes its bigger loss.

Surely loss of this money is gonna have some adverse effect on economy in short term, since some of it was used to fund businesses, particularly businesses like Contraction or jewellers. But a large part of it was just getting exchanged from one hand to the other without being spent in real sense so it would contribute to economy through consumption, or was anyway stacked somewhere or being used to inflate prices of commodities, RE. So vanishing of that part will not have much of an effect.

In long term this should not affect economy much. Plus it would help relieve inflationary pressure.

Also we should note that Modi did honest attempts to bring that money in system by giving warnings, and a way out through income declaration scheme till 30Sept. Unless such drastic step was taken, most were not gonna take his seriously. Coming on hard on people especially big fishes would have made him a villain (we know how every step from him is portrayed). This is a far better way of removing the monetary power of medium and big fishes to influence the system be it elections or something else without doing all the hard work to go after a large number of people with large number of legal proceedings.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

hanumadu wrote:

Some one on this thread already had an interesting suggestion. Since the govt knows how much large denomination bills are in circulation and how much will be surrendered, the difference is the amount that is with people who did not turn in the money and would be lost for ever by the economy. The govt can print money in that amount and use for itself in effect imposing a 100% tax on such undisclosed amount.
Ca nthat be done?? That would be amazing. GOI in a single stroke will have large amount of money at hand for public expenditure. :D
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

JayS wrote: Can that be done?? That would be amazing. GOI in a single stroke will have large amount of money at hand for public expenditure. :D
Cash is an IOU from Government of India to the holder of said cash. When an IOU is destroyed, i.e. when the cash is destroyed, basically the holder is forgiving the loan taken by GoI.

With the forgiven loans/IOUs (i.e. destroyed cash), GoI can choose to improve its "books" or to issue a fresh IOU to someone else in lieu of services such as public expenditure. They may choose to do something in between, i.e. if say 50 lakh crore was destroyed, issue new spending for only 25 lakh crore over say the next 2 years.

Note that the above only refers to old currency notes which have not been converted to new currency notes.

Any reduction in money supply will be deflationary, which is a good thing. Except said deflation will not be across all sectors - so don't expect petrol or food to get any cheaper. Deflation will be most prominent in sectors which were the net beneficiaries of black money - i.e. real estate. So, real estate prices can expect to drop.

Gold price peak is a temporary blip. The quoted 50000 or 60000 per 10g is a surge pricing based on old currency notes only. Once new currency is in, rates will be back to normal or even lower than where they are today (again, due to deflation - and keeping in mind that India is a big enough market to influence world gold prices that in turn drive our market rates).
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

RBI to pay fatter dividend post ban on Rs 500 and Rs 1000 notes
Thousand and five-hundred rupee notes account for 85% of the value of currency – which is roughly Rs 17 lakh crore. If 30% of this is black money, it means about Rs 5 lakh crore would either find its way to bonfire or be caught in the taxman’s net or turn out to be a mix of both.

If a mountain of money is incinerated, it will increase RBI’s reserves and therefore the ability to write a large dividend cheque-- much larger than it ever did -- to New Delhi. RBI has been generous in recent years; chances are it would be even more next year.

RBI’s balance-sheet is like any other balance sheet. The monetary authority creates money when it buys bonds and foreign exchange. Its assets are the bonds and the forex while currency is the liability. When currency shrinks, assets are larger than liability, giving the central bank the room to fork out a fatter dividend.

How the rich behave will influence the shape of RBI’s books and the amount of pay out. There are those who would prefer to stay mum and set ablaze their hidden currency wealth; for them, it makes more sense to quietly take a hit in order to avoid tax, penalty, and perhaps prosecution over and above the endless, annoying questions from tax officers and well-wishers. There are occasions when it’s prudent to be silent: why let your names be splashed across newspapers; why appear silly when everyone around believes you have a remarkable acumen to handle money.
Govt/RBI can get enrich themselves around 5 lakh crores, not a bad deal.
prashanth
BRFite

Post by prashanth »

hanumadu wrote:Some one on this thread already had an interesting suggestion. Since the govt knows how much large denomination bills are in circulation and how much will be surrendered, the difference is the amount that is with people who did not turn in the money and would be lost for ever by the economy. The govt can print money in that amount and use for itself in effect imposing a 100% tax on such undisclosed amount.
Doesn't work that way IMHO. Every single currency note is a 'liability' for the government. Even the statement on notes 'promises' service to the bearer equivalent to the amount of the currency note, on behalf of government. Any BM that is disposed off by people is 'less' liability for government, but does not directly translate as additional 'asset'.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

prashanth wrote:
hanumadu wrote:Some one on this thread already had an interesting suggestion. Since the govt knows how much large denomination bills are in circulation and how much will be surrendered, the difference is the amount that is with people who did not turn in the money and would be lost for ever by the economy. The govt can print money in that amount and use for itself in effect imposing a 100% tax on such undisclosed amount.
Doesn't work that way IMHO. Every single currency note is a 'liability' for the government. Even the statement on notes 'promises' service to the bearer equivalent to the amount of the currency note, on behalf of government. Any BM that is disposed off by people is 'less' liability for government, but does not directly translate as additional 'asset'.
True that liability of GOI now will decrease, but the liability has been factored in already while GOI printed the notes at first plane (creation of new money by selling sovereign bonds). So theoretically, IMO, GOI can replace those lost notes which people are not bringing back with new money and use as GOI money, without actually putting inflationary pressure on economy. Since that money was created already. Now merely the notes will be replaced. I may be of the target though.

Say there were 14lakh Cr worth of notes in circulation and GOI could account for only 10lakh Cr. Since the liability of 14lakh Cr was already factored in in the economy previously. Now, even if GOI prints new notes worth 4lakh Cr it should not increase GOI's total liability. And it should not also create inflation, since no new money is getting printed. Also through public expenditure of that large sum of money could give a huge push to our economy.
Last edited by JayS on 09 Nov 2016 18:06, edited 1 time in total.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Have been siting for most of the day in a hole in the wall mum and pop shop selling all sorts of pakodas and tea in North Goa.

Patronised by locals and migrant labour, Business is brisk like any other day. Owner is indifferent to the notes issue. Wants me to help him install and get payTM going :D

Eureka Forbes chap came home with my well water test report. Wanted payment. I said RTGS or cheque ? He happily took a cheque and left

On the other hand, locals who sold land in the last few years are coming in for their daily pakoda and tea fix all grumpy and upset.

From where I sit, I see the vegetable market is doing a roaring trade. Life seems to be going in like any other day.

Am sure, in dark corners of some homes, people's dhotis are a mess.NaMo should have been mor considerate and distributed free langots
kapilrdave
BRFite

Post by kapilrdave »

The aam junta of the communities which will be hurt badly are bangladeshi illegals (who don't open bank accounts), nepalis and peacefuls (who majorly deal in cash in whatever business). I guess nepalis would be taken care by their employers. Not too sure about the bangladeshis.
nits
BRFite

Post by nits »

Main impact will be to political parties who have hoard cash for upcoming assembly elections; all their Cash and Expense planning has gone Kaput and now they don't have enough time to arrange this massive Black Money cash again...

This will severely impact there election fighting capability unless they have Foreign Currency with them as Gov has not mentioned any restriction on Foreign exchange ?
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

All they have to do is find 1000 people per constituency to divide the sum into small enough amounts so as to not attract the tax man. I doubt any politician is sweating. They already have the network of party men who will do what is told. Its the non politicians who will have to find people to exchange the old currency and return it to them promptly.
Rishi Verma
BRFite

Post by Rishi Verma »

लो भाई मोदी चालीसा भी आ गया!!!!!!

जय नरेन्द्र ग्यान गुन सागर |
जय मोदी तिहुँ लोक उजागर ||

राष्ट्रदूत अतुलित बलधामा |
दामोदर पुत्र नरेन्दर नामा ||

तुम उपकार राष्ट्र पर कीन्हा |
कच्छ संवारि स्वर्ग सम कीन्हा ||

माया, मुलायम थर थर काँपैं |
काँग्रेस को चिंता व्यापै ||

नासहि सपा मिटैं बसपाई |
खिलै कमल फूलैं भजपाई ||

साधु संत के तुम रखबारे |
असुर निकंदन राष्ट्रदुलारे ||

संत रसायन तुम्हरे पासा |
सदा रहहु भारत के दासा ||

भारत विश्वगुरु बन जावै |
जब मोदी दिल्ली मैं आवै ||

चीन पाक दोउ निकट न आवै |
जब मोदी को नाम सुनावै ||

नासहिं दुष्ट और अपराधा |
भ्रष्टाचार मिटावहिं बाधा ||

करहि विकास स्वर्ग सम सुंदर |
बनहि राम को सुंदर मंदिर ||

असुर निवारि सुरन्ह कौ थापैं |
राहुल सोनिया कबहुँ न व्यापै ||

मोदी मंत्र एक सम जाना |
करहि विकास राष्ट्र सनमाना ||

भारत राष्ट्र पराक्रमशाली |
होहि सिद्ध यह शंशय नाही ||

|| जय मोदी ||
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

Rishi Verma wrote:Biggest losers (I hope) will be chacha/bhatija/netaji + Amar Singh who have a stash of cash for UP election spending. But these goons can force local bank branches to launder money.
no they cannot for better perspective watch their body language it look like they have been told their time of death. Momata banu has had convulsion fit
kapilrdave
BRFite

Post by kapilrdave »

hanumadu wrote:All they have to do is find 1000 people per constituency to divide the sum into small enough amounts so as to not attract the tax man. I doubt any politician is sweating. They already have the network of party men who will do what is told. Its the non politicians who will have to find people to exchange the old currency and return it to them promptly.
The more the black money changes the hand, the more it loses it's value. Parties will have to bleed much much more than they would have planned.