Clean India - Places, Options, Initiatives & Results

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.

How many of you had to defecate in open?

Poll ended at 22 Aug 2017 23:00

Never. I never had to defecate in open.
54%
Sometimes (like when visiting village or when guests had to come and no avl. toilets)
34%
Most of the times
No votes
Yuck! I held on tight.
6%
Will you ever do it? (like when visiting village or when guests come and no avl. toilets)
6%

Total votes: 35

disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: Clean India - Places, Options, Initiatives & Results

Post by disha »

Reviving this thread back. Since Monsoon is coming, there will be spike of monsoon (water borne) related diseases. Typhoid, cholera, dysentry and e.coli infections being common. This is a significant burden of disease, particularly in the dense urban areas.

Want to start off with this paper:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6482782/
Impact assessment of India's Swachh Bharat Mission – Clean India Campaign on acute diarrheal disease outbreaks: Yes, there is a positive change
Methods:
Weekly ADD outbreaks data from national-level Integrated Disease Surveillance Program between 2010 and 2018 were used for trend analysis along with the number of toilets constructed in rural areas under SBM from the year 2014.

Results:
ADD outbreaks were analyzed from 2010 to 2018. The number of ADD outbreaks per year during the past 2 years (i.e., 2017 and 2018) of SBM regime was lesser than in any year during the investigation period. Seasonal variations during the months of May, June, July, and August account for 55%–60% of ADD outbreaks in any of the years; but for 2018, the total outbreaks were 46%, which is significantly lower than that of regular range of outbreaks in the peak season.
My humble request: For anyone quoting about failure of SBM etc in news without basis, please quote above statistics. And also find such scholarly articles and post it here.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Some more news items

https://indianexpress.com/article/citie ... a-8594237/
Mosques across Delhi join initiative for a clean Yamuna
Around a dozen prominent mosques across Delhi, including Jama Masjid, Dargah Hazrat Nizamuddin Shahi Kalan Masjid and Mufti Nisar Badwali Masjid, Daryaganj, were part of the initiative. More are expected to follow suit over the coming days, according to sources.
And this is major news:

https://swarajyamag.com/infrastructure/ ... bage-dumps
Many States are taking steps to beautify the urban areas which eventually lead to sustainable development and a healthier, greener future. It has also created avenues for waste reduction, recycling, and reusing, helping in the sustainable use of resources.

Bhopal’s exemplary dumpsite remediation is an inspirational example of transformation of urban spaces.

Flagged off by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the Vande Bharat Express travelling between Bhopal to Delhi zooms past a dumpsite-turned-green zone in Bhopal. It was beautified after 37 acres of land was reclaimed.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

‘It’s impossible to breathe’: Delhi’s rubbish dumps drive sky-high methane emissions

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... -emissions

Revealed: the 1,200 big methane leaks from waste dumps trashing the planet

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... the-planet
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

It's not just visible litter.

Was in Vishakhapatnam traveling towards Rishikonda. The whole route and areas smelled very foul. Later I found out its due to open sewer canals though there was no overflow.

Was going to Hyderabad airport last week at 3 AM. Very foul chemical smells that was hanging like a curtain for many kms. Wasn't the first time I noticed this, I've been told these are due to effluents released by Pharma industries.