BR medical topics corner.

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
viveks
BRFite
Posts: 257
Joined: 17 Nov 2004 06:01

BR medical topics corner.

Postby viveks » 10 Dec 2019 23:58

I am thinking to start this thread because I think ..just like the "BR Math Corner" or "BR physics thread", there should be a thread discussing latest surgical techniques related to heart diseases, orthopedics, etc. I am presently on a course to read something about homeopathy and do watch a few surgery videos from time to time. People should refrain from posting graphic videos here and I do would like to invite them to discuss the latest technologies and techniques in surgical topics.

Raveen
BRFite
Posts: 835
Joined: 18 Jun 2008 00:51
Location: 1/2 way between the gutter and the stars
Contact:

Re: BR medical topics corner. Homeopathy and surgical technologies

Postby Raveen » 11 Dec 2019 03:31

Homeopathy is straight up quackery at its finest.

Amber G.
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7236
Joined: 17 Dec 2002 12:31
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: BR medical topics corner. Homeopathy and surgical technologies

Postby Amber G. » 11 Dec 2019 04:46

I think one of the exciting news is that new form of Medical Schools (with emphasis on Physics, Engineering, Science) are going to be build in India - where faculty will be world-class and it may redefine the medical field.

IIT Kanpur to have a medical college

Amber G.
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7236
Joined: 17 Dec 2002 12:31
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: BR medical topics corner. Homeopathy and surgical technologies

Postby Amber G. » 11 Dec 2019 04:47

**Deleted by Author**
Last edited by Amber G. on 11 Dec 2019 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

Dileep
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5854
Joined: 04 Apr 2005 08:17
Location: Dera Mahab Ali धरा महाबलिस्याः درا مهاب الي

Re: BR medical topics corner. Homeopathy and surgical technologies

Postby Dileep » 11 Dec 2019 06:55

There is no rational explanation, but I have multiple instances for Homoeopathy working.

1. My brother-in-law had virtiligo (white patches on skin). Tried modern medicine for some time. No use. Homoeopathy completely cured it in a few months.

2. My mother started cataract in her eyes. Homoeopathic medicine completely reversed it. She had normal vision for rest of her life, like 20+ years.

3. When my kids were little, homoeopathy used to work for fever. Sometimes better than acetaminophen.

DrRatnadip
BRFite
Posts: 575
Joined: 31 Dec 2016 00:40

Re: BR medical topics corner. Homeopathy and surgical technologies

Postby DrRatnadip » 11 Dec 2019 16:36

Dileep wrote:There is no rational explanation, but I have multiple instances for Homoeopathy working.

1. My brother-in-law had virtiligo (white patches on skin). Tried modern medicine for some time. No use. Homoeopathy completely cured it in a few months.

2. My mother started cataract in her eyes. Homoeopathic medicine completely reversed it. She had normal vision for rest of her life, like 20+ years
roni3. When my kids were little, homoeopathy used to work for fever. Sometimes better than acetaminophen.


many of my patients and friends trust homeopathy in chronic diseases.. I personaly dont feel they are more effective than placebo.. i have seen people go to homeopath after I advice them some minor operation only to return with severe form of disease which needs major surgery with its increased complications..

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/scie ... 29776.html

viveks
BRFite
Posts: 257
Joined: 17 Nov 2004 06:01

Re: BR medical topics corner. Homeopathy and surgical technologies

Postby viveks » 11 Dec 2019 20:39

This is untrue. My father had a non-malignant patch in his lungs and they had planned to operate him. He just took a chance to see a homeopathic doctor who was recommended by my uncle who practiced it briefly. Within a matter of 3-4 weeks, after taking regular medication, they could no longer see the patch in his lungs through catscans. I believe in it very much.

I think your perception about them only promotes the thought process about the profit seeking pharmaceutical companies who lobby that this area is essentially a farce.

prasannasimha
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1207
Joined: 15 Aug 2016 00:22

Re: BR medical topics corner. Homeopathy and surgical technologies

Postby prasannasimha » 11 Dec 2019 21:15

Dileep wrote:There is no rational explanation, but I have multiple instances for Homoeopathy working.

1. My brother-in-law had virtiligo (white patches on skin). Tried modern medicine for some time. No use. Homoeopathy completely cured it in a few months.

2. My mother started cataract in her eyes. Homoeopathic medicine completely reversed it. She had normal vision for rest of her life, like 20+ years.

3. When my kids were little, homoeopathy used to work for fever. Sometimes better than acetaminophen.

This preys on the natural resolution of many diseases !!

prasannasimha
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1207
Joined: 15 Aug 2016 00:22

Re: BR medical topics corner. Homeopathy and surgical technologies

Postby prasannasimha » 11 Dec 2019 21:17

viveks wrote:This is untrue. My father had a non-malignant patch in his lungs and they had planned to operate him. He just took a chance to see a homeopathic doctor who was recommended by my uncle who practiced it briefly. Within a matter of 3-4 weeks, after taking regular medication, they could no longer see the patch in his lungs through catscans. I believe in it very much.

I think your perception about them only promotes the thought process about the profit seeking pharmaceutical companies who lobby that this area is essentially a farce.

Again it just happens to be happenstance. It may have disapperared with holy water too .

DrRatnadip
BRFite
Posts: 575
Joined: 31 Dec 2016 00:40

Re: BR medical topics corner. Homeopathy and surgical technologies

Postby DrRatnadip » 11 Dec 2019 23:28

viveks wrote:This is untrue. My father had a non-malignant patch in his lungs and they had planned to operate him. He just took a chance to see a homeopathic doctor who was recommended by my uncle who practiced it briefly. Within a matter of 3-4 weeks, after taking regular medication, they could no longer see the patch in his lungs through catscans. I believe in it very much.

I think your perception about them only promotes the thought process about the profit seeking pharmaceutical companies who lobby that this area is essentially a farce.

sir non malignant patch is very vague diagnosis and no good doctor is going to operate it.. operating on lungs is very specialized field with very specific indications.. at most doctors might have planned for diagnostic broncoscopy/thoracoscopy..

ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3528
Joined: 29 Mar 2017 06:37

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby ArjunPandit » 11 Dec 2019 23:34

I always felt the need to have this. One of the things I have always wondered is how do we feel physical pain. My very little understanding is that current detection mechanisms are cause based approximate mechanisms. I have been grappling with something nothing major came out in MRI ended up getting arthroscopy to my shoulder..still not much benefit...

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie
Posts: 14045
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: BR medical topics corner. Homeopathy and surgical technologies

Postby UlanBatori » 12 Dec 2019 02:47

DrRatnadip wrote:many of my patients and friends trust homeopathy in chronic diseases.. I personaly dont feel they are more effective than placebo.. i have seen people go to homeopath after I advice them some minor operation only to return with severe form of disease which needs major surgery with its increased complications..
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/scie ... 29776.html


For 20+ saal my Evil 6th Coujin was diagnosed as Type 2 diabetic. Best of preventive/diagnostic care available in the Dunia (top-class insurance/big city/superb docs). Went with steadily increasing doses, exercise, less and less food... no ice cream :(( ... just managed to stay under the A1C 8.0 where the doc said they would have to start with insulin. Houristan looking larger and larger on horizon.

Then a vegan/PlanBasedFood bibi told him:
"Milk & Eggs contain Growth Hormones. They are to make little babies grow. U ain't no little baby".

CLICK! Tubelight went on. 3 months flat: A1C of 6.8. Recently found out CGM (continuous glucose monitoring) gizmos, which are indeed a victory of Bheshtarn Science and DOO technology (courtesy of certain PeeAref ppl hu shall remain nameless). Keeping it up (more or less), now reducing the Bhesht Bhestarn medicine dosage as average glucose has gone below the 6 level meaning no diabetes. Occasional ice-cream is perfectly fine (as the vegan-bbji predicted)

My pooch: what keeps bheshtarn medicine from "discovering" the simple logic of the vegab-bibiji? Why the grueling regime of pills all these years? FIFTEEN YEARS of ice-cream lost, 2 b precise. :twisted:

And u want to tell me with a "Doktor" in ur user-naam and all, that ur Bheshtarn Medical Knawlidj is superior to basic common sense of goat-herders? There are a few bridges in downtown Ulan Bator that u may want to buy: 1 owner, prime condition.

Real doctor shivullah had posted a succinct "what western medicine can and cannot do" somewhere in this forum a while back. I suggest that everyone look that up.

As for GOTUS, these are the same ppl who ru(i)n the US Healthcare scam, right? :roll:
Last edited by UlanBatori on 12 Dec 2019 02:53, edited 1 time in total.

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie
Posts: 14045
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby UlanBatori » 12 Dec 2019 02:52

Check out the PlantBased Diet, ppl. Experts near Aurobindostan, Pudussery, running worldwide cult. They are really catching on, and if practised sensibly, the results are indeed miraculous.

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie
Posts: 14045
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: BR medical topics corner. Homeopathy and surgical technologies

Postby UlanBatori » 12 Dec 2019 02:57

Raveen wrote:Homeopathy is straight up quackery at its finest.

Just b4 flying out to Satanistan over farty saal pehle, my Evil 6th Coujin lost the long-accumulated Immunity that came from drinking tea every night at Velachery, outside Eye-Eye-Tea Emm, outdoor cafe with fragrance of pakistans all round. He then came back to Chennai briefly - and was caught by "Jaundice". Sharp and sudden attack.

The docs in Malloostan prescribed HOMEOPATHIC pills along with sensible diet (no oils, fats). Cured fast. Apparently even todin, in Satanistan, jaundice is considered near-fatal, with very little "bheshtarn" cure. They do give some sort of immunization injection but I doubt if that is as effective as Velachery Open-Air tea.

DrRatnadip
BRFite
Posts: 575
Joined: 31 Dec 2016 00:40

Re: BR medical topics corner. Homeopathy and surgical technologies

Postby DrRatnadip » 12 Dec 2019 04:02

UlanBatori wrote:
DrRatnadip wrote:many of my patients and friends trust homeopathy in chronic diseases.. I personaly dont feel they are more effective than placebo.. i have seen people go to homeopath after I advice them some minor operation only to return with severe form of disease which needs major surgery with its increased complications..
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/scie ... 29776.html





And u want to tell me with a "Doktor" in ur user-naam and all, that ur Bheshtarn Medical Knawlidj is superior to basic common sense of goat-herders? There are a few bridges in downtown Ulan Bator that u may want to buy: 1 owner, prime condition.

Real doctor shivullah had posted a succinct "what western medicine can and cannot do" somewhere in this forum a while back. I suggest that everyone look that up.

As for GOTUS, these are the same ppl who ru(i)n the US Healthcare scam, right? :roll:


Sir all I wanted to say was definite proof of efficacy of homeopathy is lacking.. I do agree with u that diet modifications are key to better health.. No body can challenge basic common sense of goat herders :D

saip
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3927
Joined: 17 Jan 2003 12:31
Location: USA

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby saip » 12 Dec 2019 06:49

Placebos work too. Only thing is that Doctors are not allowed to prescribe them. If they do and the patient finds out there will be a hell to pay even if the patient's symptoms disappear. That is how unfortunately attorneys thrive. So what is there in Homeopathy 'medicines'? Ten million, hundred million dilutions? After that will there be even a molecule of the original 'medicine' left?
Growing up I heard of a guy (working in the railways I believe) who 'cured' snake bites. How? If you are bitten you sent him a telegram (railways even sent it for free) and the guy did some magic and people survived. Some of course did not. May be he did not get the telegram or may be he mis-spelt the name of the victim, may be. Or just coincidence? Considering that not all snakes are poisonous and even the poisonous ones do not know how to bite (they are more terrified of mean humans than we are of them) I heard that only 10% of the bites are fatal. So I say it is coincidence or happenstance. But people who were 'cured' by him swore by him and it is something like 9 to 1. Whom am I to question that?
Just my thoughts.

viveks
BRFite
Posts: 257
Joined: 17 Nov 2004 06:01

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby viveks » 12 Dec 2019 10:32

I am not here to defend my beliefs. That way people here will start going towards tantric vidya....from what has been posted which is blatantly wasteful.

For your kind information, if you have doubts, try talking to a few people in the German medical fraternity what they think of homeopathy.

I encourage others to please be on topic and not diverge into voodoo thoughts now. Pretty soon I will probably start reading ghost stories like how villagers gossip about super natural incidents

sajo
BRFite
Posts: 263
Joined: 01 Mar 2019 17:01

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby sajo » 12 Dec 2019 14:46

What stops homeopathy from publishing proofs of efficacy? A systematic, scientific study in reputed medical journals or even regular journals?

I dont know whether to be a believer or not, as a child was always prescribed a mix of homeopathy and allopathy, thanks to a doctor qualified in both.

jimmyray
BRFite
Posts: 125
Joined: 01 Dec 2008 02:05
Location: 66° 33′39″ North of Equator

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby jimmyray » 12 Dec 2019 21:16

I am a trained/licensed and practising allopath. Trained also as a medical scientist. I have also self learnt a bit of homeopathy. I don't use homeopathy for my patients ( as I am not a licensed homeopath ) but have used homeopathy medicines multiple times on myself and my immediate family and invariably it has worked everytime. Many times results were almost miraculous. Many homeopaths have published their findings in indexed journals (may not be top journals). There are reasons why homeopathy is not acceptable to most mainstream scientists and allopathic doctors and why many consider it quackery. Homeopathic philosophy is totally different and almost alien for mainstream scientists and doctors. I am not trying to convince others but if we give up our prejudices and try to understand the philosophy behind other systems (like homeopathy, ayurveda, yoga, Chinese traditional medicine etc) with an open mind then it might help.
It would also perhaps help if we try to better understand how biological systems work at molecular/atomic/subatomic levels. Just my very humble opinion.

jimmyray
BRFite
Posts: 125
Joined: 01 Dec 2008 02:05
Location: 66° 33′39″ North of Equator

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby jimmyray » 12 Dec 2019 23:15

For those who may be interested in knowing a bit of history and philosophy of homeopathy as well as about immunology and homeopathy - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1297514/

chaitanya
BRFite
Posts: 196
Joined: 27 Sep 2002 11:31
Location: US
Contact:

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby chaitanya » 12 Dec 2019 23:18

jimmyray wrote:It would also perhaps help if we try to better understand how biological systems work at molecular/atomic/subatomic levels. Just my very humble opinion.


Many scientists did try and discover new ‘physics’ in biological systems in the 50’s. So far the evidence suggests that biology follows all the laws of physics. It’s just that the cell is a very complex dynamical system that we are just beginning to be able to ‘observe.’

Regardless, for the concept of homeopathy to work, it would require changing modern physics. Given that modern physical theories have been rigorously tested and shown to hold up at various energy, time, and length scales, it seems like a long shot that homeopathy is exploiting some undiscovered force or phenomenon. It’s more likely the placebo effect and lifestyle changes that are encouraged with homeopathic treatment that have a perceived effect.

viveks
BRFite
Posts: 257
Joined: 17 Nov 2004 06:01

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby viveks » 12 Dec 2019 23:53

chaitanya wrote:It’s more likely the placebo effect and lifestyle changes that are encouraged with homeopathic treatment that have a perceived effect.


Placebos dont just take out patches in lungs of person who has been advised surgery. Again, please deviate from contraversial ideas/medical politics/policies in your head and start discussing knowledgable concept that would otherwise be instructional/informational. If you do not believe in it, then it is your preorgative and its best you dont waste thread space and dont be part of the discussion. Please then, post information about advancement of regular medical & surgical technologies.

Thanks.

Raveen
BRFite
Posts: 835
Joined: 18 Jun 2008 00:51
Location: 1/2 way between the gutter and the stars
Contact:

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby Raveen » 13 Dec 2019 01:21

viveks wrote:
chaitanya wrote:It’s more likely the placebo effect and lifestyle changes that are encouraged with homeopathic treatment that have a perceived effect.


Placebos dont just take out patches in lungs of person who has been advised surgery. Again, please deviate from contraversial ideas/medical politics/policies in your head and start discussing knowledgable concept that would otherwise be instructional/informational. If you do not believe in it, then it is your preorgative and its best you dont waste thread space and dont be part of the discussion. Please then, post information about advancement of regular medical & surgical technologies.

Thanks.


Homeopathy is straight quackery - there is no scientific proof anywhere on earth that it works. You also have little to no clue about how powerful placebo can be.
Here, I'll give you a simple test, next time you cook purposefully add less than your desired amount of salt. Now, follow homepathic principles to increase the concentration of that salt (hint, it involves adding no more salt, rather adding water which is magically supposed to increase the concentration of salt - confused? so is the scientific world as to how someone would believe that). :rotfl:

At the "Highest Concentrations" there isn't even a molucule of the active ingredient in the sugar pill you take. Heck at the highest concentrations of homeoquackery, there isn't a molucule of the active ingredient in the known universe. Nowhere but in India are such quacks allowed to call themselves doctors. Beauty of science is, you don't have to believe in it, you just have to verify it, can you verify dilution increases concentration?

viveks
BRFite
Posts: 257
Joined: 17 Nov 2004 06:01

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby viveks » 13 Dec 2019 02:39

Man..I dont know how many times I should say this.

Admins: I created this thread to discuss medical technologies and surjical technologies and not argue about what is quarky or not or what-soever someone believes what and post all kinds kinds of ill-formed remakrs. Request you to please regulate this thread. I think people are in-directly trolling this thread and argueing baselessly about things which are of no value.
If posts like the above the above are going to continue to happen, then I recommend you better lock this thread. "IB4TL"

Raveen
BRFite
Posts: 835
Joined: 18 Jun 2008 00:51
Location: 1/2 way between the gutter and the stars
Contact:

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby Raveen » 13 Dec 2019 03:05

viveks wrote:Man..I dont know how many times I should say this.

Admins: I created this thread to discuss medical technologies and surjical technologies and not argue about what is quarky or not or what-soever someone believes what and post all kinds kinds of ill-formed remakrs. Request you to please regulate this thread. I think people are in-directly trolling this thread and argueing baselessly about things which are of no value.
If posts like the above the above are going to continue to happen, then I recommend you better lock this thread. "IB4TL"


No one it trolling anyone, you started the thread with the first post mentioning homeopathy as an actual scientific thing with real medical value - IB4TL because you don't want to discuss real medicine, just quackery and shamanism.

ramana
Forum Moderator
Posts: 54822
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby ramana » 16 Dec 2019 04:11

viveks, The objective was good but you yourself sowed the seeds of derailment by including homeopathy in your post. you start out 'the latest surgery' and add homeopathy in the next sentence!

viveks
BRFite
Posts: 257
Joined: 17 Nov 2004 06:01

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby viveks » 16 Dec 2019 18:21

I posted about homeopathy because I know people who believe in it and my personal experience has been very positive making use of it. So I thought there could be people out there who could share how they have learnt to practice it. I was not aware there were so many staunch dis-believers who would even start going down the path of portraying super natural incidents when homeopathy has assisted in fixing their ailments.

hnair
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3985
Joined: 03 May 2006 01:31
Location: Trivandrum

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby hnair » 16 Dec 2019 18:27

Folks, no need to get personal on these topics!

I never was into Homeopathy, because its results were not clear to me, but I dont discourage anyone from trying it out. However I do subscribe to long-term preventive and medium-term therapeutic treatments of Ayurveda and also for modern medicine's granular diagnostics of internal organs or anything that needs surgical intervention.

What I have an objection to is that 99% of the practitioners of modern medicine in India are not even bothering to look around for solutions from native observational or traditional streams, publishing their thoughts or findings formally etc rather than peering bug-eyed towards the West, setting off for "conferences" fully hosted by western Big Pharma and in general dissing whatever was traditional as "where is the published proof?". Net result is that western medical complex has unfettered controls over every aspect of our wellness in the more organized modern medicine sector. And it is getting goddamn expensive because of that. Western medicine and its complex diagnostic gear are now the reverse equivalent of a snake-charmer: an exotic product that needs a native to explain to us, but for a hefty, hefty fee.

Fortunately PM Modi decisively put stop to the Yoga repackaging as a western therapy system and Ayurveda industry has shrugged off its earlier lethargy, just in time before Unilever decided to usurp that too!

Not dissing or anything, just curious - why cant the modern medicine community of India do the publishing of proof, for or against, particularly things they dont feel the traditional remedies are effective? It will help a lot of us to argue with quackery victims better, if the community of modern medicine practitioners can throw up formal studies.

Some curiosity should be there about how India used to be a healing powerhouse in the past. No government of India till date has tried to address this. While every other applied segments of Indian sciences and tech have made progress in owning and adapting to Indian conditions, modern medicine seem to be still in the 1960s "Let us renew Lancet subscription" mode. By now, we should have the equivalent of Lancet, that is rich in publishing local programs, test results and best practices for Indian physiology/environment.

The PRC on the other hand, as per grapevine, has their modern medicine docs seriously getting trained on their traditional medicines too. This is the only aspect of sciences in which I would readily admit that the PRC got its vision right compared to India's.

Case-1: So I have taken an x-ray of my broken bone once and went to a local bone-setter Aasan from kalaripayattu, who took a look at the X-ray, kept it aside, felt the bones' contours and then took one more look at X-ray and said the angle of X-ray is not giving him a 3d perspective, but will do etc. Then he twisted the broken bits into place with a cheerful hum, ignoring my Hulk-squeals. Reason I traveled to desh for him is that no ortho or physio in a certain uber-madarassa of US West coast, where I first went, would address my request to put the bones back into place and claimed "it is better to leave the broken bones and let it heal in that place, you get 80% of movement back" etc.

Case2: As a local remedy, Pappaya leaves are considered good for Dengue fever induced platelet count drop. As a gross smoothie with pomegranate that tastes more bitter than Shireen Mazari's farticles, they are apparently the cheapest available anti-oxidant rich concoction one can whip up. In patient upon patient, it apparently helped shore up the cell walls, prevent internal bleeding etc till the time platelet count recovers and in general is considered a helpful and cheap relief. But all these are treated as "conjectures", because not even a single modern medicine study exists to prove or disprove the whole thing! However observations by even modern medicine practitioners here in Trivandrum on people who try this tonic and word of mouth helps poor patients with Dengue in their recovery process. But none of the modern medicine practitioners I talked to, will present a paper on it! I guess we will have to wait till Big Farma in west "discovers" a miracle compound called Papayacaine, which will be sold in pill form after FDA approval. And onto hefty dose prescriptions in India

nithish
BRFite
Posts: 437
Joined: 02 Oct 2009 02:41

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby nithish » 17 Dec 2019 02:16

Getting back to topic..

This week saw the publication of yet another trial puncturing a hole in the great 'Vitamin D is the elixir of life' theory which has been massively promoted by pharma companies and their paid agents

Vitamin D is undoubtedly crucial for bone health and lack of it leads to a variety of complications including fractures (especially of the hip/back in the elderly), rickets, etc.

In the past 5-10 years, there has been a major push towards testing and supplementing vitamin D in the general population in the belief that it can also help reduce the risk of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, fetal/infant growth issues, and also help treat critically unwell patients.

Several good-quality trials involving large numbers have now shown this to be all nonsense and not a single such benefit has been observed:
No change in risk of developing colorectal cancer with vit D supplementation
No difference to fetal growth when supplemented in pregnancy
No change in the incidence of cancer or cardiovascular disease with vitD supplementation
No change in risk of developing diabetes with vit D
No change in mortality in critically ill patients with vit D supplementation

Raveen
BRFite
Posts: 835
Joined: 18 Jun 2008 00:51
Location: 1/2 way between the gutter and the stars
Contact:

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby Raveen » 17 Dec 2019 02:36

<POOF>

Admin note: Need to bring this thread back to normalcy. No more warnings

Pathik
BRFite
Posts: 567
Joined: 16 Aug 2016 05:22

Re: BR medical topics corner. Homeopathy and surgical technologies

Postby Pathik » 17 Dec 2019 06:29

<duplicate deleted>
Last edited by Pathik on 17 Dec 2019 06:35, edited 1 time in total.

Pathik
BRFite
Posts: 567
Joined: 16 Aug 2016 05:22

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby Pathik » 17 Dec 2019 06:35

Raveen wrote:
nithish wrote:Getting back to topic..

This week saw the publication of yet another trial puncturing a hole in the great 'Vitamin D is the elixir of life' theory which has been massively promoted by pharma companies and their paid agents

Vitamin D is undoubtedly crucial for bone health and lack of it leads to a variety of complications including fractures (especially of the hip/back in the elderly), rickets, etc.

In the past 5-10 years, there has been a major push towards testing and supplementing vitamin D in the general population in the belief that it can also help reduce the risk of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, fetal/infant growth issues, and also help treat critically unwell patients.

Several good-quality trials involving large numbers have now shown this to be all nonsense and not a single such benefit has been observed:
No change in risk of developing colorectal cancer with vit D supplementation
No difference to fetal growth when supplemented in pregnancy
No change in the incidence of cancer or cardiovascular disease with vitD supplementation
No change in risk of developing diabetes with vit D
No change in mortality in critically ill patients with vit D supplementation


There is evidence of lower rate of preeclampsia with Vitamin D supplementation for pregnant women. The desired serum level was near 50.


Vitamins and supplements, which is a mega billion dollar industry in the West and down under is the most successful example of preying on people's fear. Its required in some cases of extreme deficiency or pregnancy, everything else is fear psychosis. There are no minor deficiencies that cannot be cured with a balanced food intake and average level of activity.

hgupta
BRFite
Posts: 115
Joined: 20 Oct 2018 14:17

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby hgupta » 17 Dec 2019 07:06

<POOF>

Admin note: Need to bring this thread back to normalcy. No more warnings

Karan M
Forum Moderator
Posts: 19839
Joined: 19 Mar 2010 00:58

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby Karan M » 17 Dec 2019 17:56

HNair, a brilliant post. Agree completely!! I had made a similar post in the TSP discussion place of all places.

hgupta
BRFite
Posts: 115
Joined: 20 Oct 2018 14:17

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby hgupta » 18 Dec 2019 04:01

Pathik wrote:
Raveen wrote:
There is evidence of lower rate of preeclampsia with Vitamin D supplementation for pregnant women. The desired serum level was near 50.


Vitamins and supplements, which is a mega billion dollar industry in the West and down under is the most successful example of preying on people's fear. Its required in some cases of extreme deficiency or pregnancy, everything else is fear psychosis. There are no minor deficiencies that cannot be cured with a balanced food intake and average level of activity.


I disagree to a part. Due to genetic makeup, some people may not have the ability to have a balanced mix of vitamins with a healthy balanced food intake and/or exercise. They do need vitamins and supplements.

However I do agree with you that the vitamins and supplements have been exploited way too much to the point that its excessive and doesn't make much sense beyond a certain point.

SriKumar
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2059
Joined: 27 Feb 2006 07:22
Location: sarvatra

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby SriKumar » 20 Dec 2019 03:48

chaitanya wrote:
jimmyray wrote:It would also perhaps help if we try to better understand how biological systems work at molecular/atomic/subatomic levels. Just my very humble opinion.


Many scientists did try and discover new ‘physics’ in biological systems in the 50’s. So far the evidence suggests that biology follows all the laws of physics. It’s just that the cell is a very complex dynamical system that we are just beginning to be able to ‘observe.’

Regardless, for the concept of homeopathy to work, it would require changing modern physics. Given that modern physical theories have been rigorously tested and shown to hold up at various energy, time, and length scales, it seems like a long shot that homeopathy is exploiting some undiscovered force or phenomenon. It’s more likely the placebo effect and lifestyle changes that are encouraged with homeopathic treatment that have a perceived effect.
I like your post for the measured way it presents your viewpoint as opposed to the strident, hectoring tone used elsewhere. I doubt the cause(s) of homeopathy's effectiveness will be resolved on thread (it will not be). All I want to say is that perhaps more research is needed on the placebo effect itself and why it works for homeopathy.

In most cases people trying homeopathy do it after first trying allopathy-so clearly the placebo effect did not work with allopathy even though the patient goes first to the doctor that he has more belief/trust in. Then homeopathy was tried and it worked. This is interesting in and of itself.

In many cases, even after homeopathy works for a disease and cures it, I suspect people do not stick with it and go back to allopathy for treatment of a new medical condition/problem. That would suggest that people have more faith in allopathy to begin with, and therefore the placebo effect (prima facie) should be more effective with allopathy. Allopathy is western, scientific, has societal trust- so the placebo effect should be more pronounced for allopathy, atleast for these reasons. I know nothing about homeopathy but I am hoping there is an explanation beyond the placebo effect.

By the way, this is a Medical Topics thread. And the conversations seems specific to homeopathy vs allopathy. There are tons of other topics to discuss.

sajo
BRFite
Posts: 263
Joined: 01 Mar 2019 17:01

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby sajo » 23 Dec 2019 13:05

Noob question : Who/What decides the prices of drugs in the USA ? FDA approval skew?

Eg : A drug which has a major role in preventing premature births in high-risk pregnancies, Progesterone,under the brand name Makena, costs $1440 per shot (~$30k per pregnancy) and Makena seem to have a monopoly on the drug there.
On the other hand, the same drug is available in India under various brand names for Rs300-500, maybe less after discount.

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie
Posts: 14045
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby UlanBatori » 25 Feb 2020 23:41

Ayurvedic solutions to virus attacks would be a great thing. There must be SOMETHING that stops these things short of killing the patient?

sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4534
Joined: 16 Oct 2005 05:51

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby sanjaykumar » 26 Feb 2020 01:48

I had a cold a few months ago. I went to the Hakeem. He advised to say allah hu Akbar.

My cold disappeared in 7 days.


Breast cancers may have a very different biology than has been assumed. Investigations may detect rumours which would have regressed without any treatment.

A person advised of homeopathy would have got good “results”. And so would the patient who had surgery chemo and radiotherapy.

This does NOT construe medical advice.

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie
Posts: 14045
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Postby UlanBatori » 26 Feb 2020 04:22

I mean is there a "Kashayam" which has such a foul taste that it drives the virus to head straight for the Pakistan/Samjhauta Express out of the body. Note that many "arishtam"s have 15% alcohol content. Better than most beers. U get into interesting discussions if u try to bring these through the airport without paying alcohol duty.
Oh, a Medicine/Elixir, hain? Likely (hic!) story!

If such a thing has a more-than-expected effect in even delaying the Victory March of the virus, it would be a fabulous finding.
Which brings me to the basic question: What makes a coronavirus so happy in a human body? Esp. lungs? Why don't they go infest say, a tree or a bush which also put out oxygen?
How do ppl find these in, say, a Brazilian forest? Do they see monkeys/piranha coughing/gasping to death and say: Aha! THERE's something v want to import! :?:


Return to “Technology & Economic Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests