BR Medical Topics Corner

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Re: BR medical topics corner.

Post by rsingh »

Any body here with liver-transplant experience. I am going through pre-transplant tests. I have diabetes (17 years) and Sarcodoises. Since 12th Dec 2019 I have chronic Anemia and I am given blood on regular basis. Is it dangerous to have transplant in my situation.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

This is not something that can be addressed on an Internet forum. Liver transplants are not offered without good reason. Of course in a medical economy that is based on such activity, that may be naive.

I would talk to your physicians and get answers. Wrtie down your questions first. Then get a second opinion if you still have doubts. Good luck.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

All prayers with Shri RSinghji. I do get a lot of different perspectives and info on medical issues from the Internet (just browse widely). Not a substitute for real doctors of course, but at least it tells me some questions to ponder. Even my doc, who used to laugh whenever I said "The Internet says.. now listens.
Haridas
BRFite

Re: BR medical topics corner. Homeopathy and surgical technologies

Post by Haridas »

DrRatnadip wrote:
Dileep wrote:There is no rational explanation, but I have multiple instances for Homoeopathy working.

1. My brother-in-law had virtiligo (white patches on skin). Tried modern medicine for some time. No use. Homoeopathy completely cured it in a few months.

2. My mother started cataract in her eyes. Homoeopathic medicine completely reversed it. She had normal vision for rest of her life, like 20+ years
roni3. When my kids were little, homoeopathy used to work for fever. Sometimes better than acetaminophen.

many of my patients and friends trust homeopathy in chronic diseases.. I personaly dont feel they are more effective than placebo.. i have seen people go to homeopath after I advice them some minor operation only to return with severe form of disease which needs major surgery with its increased complications..

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/scie ... 29776.html
Kindly show me one medical research where plecebo has reversed eye vision. I am sure one has 100 years medical research on record .

Please remember that one can't fight data with bigotry. Because medical field is so less understood that it's a hit or miss for all steams : allopathic or ayurveda or homepathy, one may take it off the field of science and call it an art.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

sir rsinghji

please come to UPMC anytime!! I work close to them!! I am not a DR or PHD or anything!!
just come and stay with me! i will be very happy!!

thanks
nithish
BRFite

Post by nithish »

rsingh wrote:Any body here with liver-transplant experience. I am going through pre-transplant tests. I have diabetes (17 years) and Sarcodoises. Since 12th Dec 2019 I have chronic Anemia and I am given blood on regular basis. Is it dangerous to have transplant in my situation.
Sorry to hear saar - best wishes for everything

Anaemia in itself is not a contraindication to liver transplant - the anaemia in your situation can be due to a variety of causes including chronic inflammation from sarcoidosis, iron deficiency (from liver problems itself), and/or a consequence of having chronic diseases
Transplant lists in any case are prioritised by clinical urgency - in the US, this is assessed with the MELD score and a modified version (UKELD) is used in the UK, not sure about India - and the pre-transplant tests are all designed to identify whether you will be healthy enough (physically and mentally) to undergo the procedure and do well afterwards

Some resources for you, hope it helps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPaeh54I55o
https://britishlivertrust.org.uk/inform ... lantation/
https://liverfoundation.org/for-patient ... ransplant/
https://www.srtr.org/transplant-centers ... ort=rating
BajKhedawal
BRFite

Post by BajKhedawal »

UlanBatori wrote:Ayurvedic solutions to virus attacks would be a great thing. There must be SOMETHING that stops these things short of killing the patient?
My mom now in her early 80's harps on us to take half a spoon of below mixture once a day, any time of the day. My grandmother taught her this and my mother has been healthy & virus free all her life.

Mix haldi powder, amla powder and partially crushed methi seeds in equal amounts; I follow her advise and have not had any seasonal sickness in desh or videsh. Builds immunity, is antioxidant, and lubricates the joints i.e. fulfills basic requirements of any 50+ adult.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Thx. I do too. Some version of this incl. ginger and pepper. Also take the flu shot. I WOULD go to the summer Olympics but now the Japan govt is not allowing it, what-2-do?
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Thanks guys for everything. Your kind words means a lot for me. Actually I am being treated at St Luc hospital in Brusselabad. Liver disease department is famous and I am under direct supervison of chief of the department. Bajwa Saar we will meet one day if health permits. Uanbaturi ji I read all your posts. Your style is unique. Nitish Saar it is same method in Brusselabad. They decide medical urgency on pt basis. Yes I am doing research on net. Doctors have arranged a Q/A session. Anyway let's see how things go from here.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

V go back a loooong way, rsinghji.
viveks
BRFite

Post by viveks »

Yes, I have seen numerous cases where homeopathy has worked positively. The point of starting this thread was not to support that only. Other topics and cases most welcome.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

RSingh, best of luck sir, hope you recover.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Switch to Total Oil-Free Plant Food Diet. It does work.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Yes I am following low fat and zero salt diet. Four months without salt :(( . It is surgical strike on appetite. Moi, a ghee drinking Haryanvi Jaat.
Low fat causes dry skin. i am using coconut cream by tons (one of the best hydrating cream). Alors Je ne panique pas.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Hang in there. You'll get used to the taste. I don't miss sugar/sweeteners in coffee/tea any more. But this Total Oil-Free is quite a revelation. Pretty fast action. Besides u get into that, u get to meet many houris :mrgreen:
BajKhedawal
BRFite

Post by BajKhedawal »

Any recommendation on a good knee sleeve or brace for a 80 year old?
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Ok guys I am back. I have new liver and I am recovering fast. Thanks for your kind words.
JAI HIND
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^ Great to hear that. Please stay safe!
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

From: https://www.facebook.com/indianeaglellc ... 2222663312
Dr. Sivaramakrishna Iyer Padmavati, who was known as the God Mother of Cardiology in India, breathed her last yesterday, at the age of 103. The founder of the National Heart Institute and the All India Heart Foundation, Dr. S I Padmavati came to India in 1942 with an MBBS degree from Burma, a British colony, where she was born. On completion of her fellowships at Johns Hopkins University and Harvard Medical School in the US, she started her career as a lecturer at Lady Hardinge Medical College and opened north India’s first cardiology clinic in 1954. Then she became an examiner with the Medical Council of India in cardiology. In 1967, she became the director principal of Maulana Azad Medical College and founded the first coronary care unit. She was also an Emeritus Professor of Medicine and Cardiology at the University of Delhi.
She did not rest on her laurels post retirement. She went on to set up the National Heart Institute in Delhi in 1981. At the age of 90, she became a fellow of the European Society of Cardiology in 2007. She was honored with the Padma Bhushan in 1967 and the Padma Vibhushan in 1992. Until late 2015, she had been working 12 hours a day and five days a week at the National Heart Institute. She tested COVID19 positive 11 days ago and succumbed to severe respiratory disorder while being given ventilator support. For her remarkable contributions to the development of cardiology in India, she had received Fellowship of the American College of Cardiology and FMS. Such was her energy level that she used to go for swimming until 2015.
She had once told The Week, “Technology, no doubt, has revolutionized the way we diagnose a problem and treat it, but I feel it has claimed clinical skills of a physician,” she says. “It is unfortunate that now young doctors rely only on technology, which has resulted in an increase in the cost of health care.”
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

I am very excited that world class Medical school with a very strong background in Math, Science and Engineering is opening up in India.

In past Engineering schools in India (before IIT's) did not have strong Physics/Math departments. Medical schools have even less math requirements. So this is good. Like IIT's hope this will have world class faculty and students
https://youtu.be/wzHdP1cVqFc
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

First of this kind:
(The breakthrough may lead one day to new supplies of animal organs for transplant into human patients)

In a First, Man Receives a Heart From a Genetically Altered Pig
A 57-year-old man with life-threatening heart disease has received a heart from a genetically modified pig, a groundbreaking procedure that offers hope to hundreds of thousands of patients with failing organs.

It is the first successful transplant of a pig’s heart into a human being. The eight-hour operation took place in Baltimore on Friday, and the patient, David Bennett Sr. of Maryland, was doing well on Monday, according to surgeons at the University of Maryland Medical Center.
<snip>
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Amber G. wrote:I am very excited that world class Medical school with a very strong background in Math, Science and Engineering is opening up in India.

In past Engineering schools in India (before IIT's) did not have strong Physics/Math departments. Medical schools have even less math requirements. So this is good. Like IIT's hope this will have world class faculty and students
https://youtu.be/wzHdP1cVqFc
Update:
Sharing an exciting news from my alma mater IIT Kanpur.

IITK alumnus Mr Rakesh Gangwal (BT/ME/1975), Co-Founder of IndiGo airlines has made one of the largest personal donations - ₹ 1,000,000,000 - contribution focused on supporting the School of Medical Sciences and Technology at IIT Kanpur.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^
Another big contribution by US Based, but IITK alum for the medical school at IIT Kanpur.
(From Anil and Kumud Bansal)
IIT Kanpur gets USD 2.5 million from Alumnus foundation for new medical school
Atmavik
BRFite

Post by Atmavik »

^^^ Excellent news. hope more Successful alumni donate back to their Universities to fund research.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

The recent collaboration between Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur and Laurus Labs Limited on gene therapy is focused on developing affordable and high-quality genetic medicine ‘Made in India’ for the world. Initially, this will be for Leber congenital Amaurosis, a type of hereditary eye disease, Hemophilia, and muscular dystrophy. The focus is also on establishing all aspects of the gene therapy product pipeline, including setting up a commercial cGMP facility to manufacture these drugs within the IIT Kanpur Technopark facility. This unique collaboration is one of the finest examples of game changing Industry academia collaboration.

Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

xpost:
Bhoomi Pujan for the construction of the Gangwal School of Medical Science and Technology and Yadupati Singhania Super Speciality Hospital.

India's premier institute for Engineering is now constructing world class Medical School and Hospital...where good background in Natural Science and Mathematics will be emphasized. What started 50-60 years ago (emphasis on science and Mathematics) in Engineering field is now starting in Medical field.

Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Re: BR Medical Topics Corner

Post by Amber G. »

Found this quite interesting and useful, Sharing:
The link between milk and protection from Type 2 diabetes in people with a common lactase gene variant
Cow’s milk is frequently included in the human diet, but the relationship between milk intake and type 2 diabetes (T2D) remains controversial. Here, using data from the Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos, we show that in both sexes, higher milk intake is associated with lower risk of T2D in lactase non-persistent (LNP) individuals (determined by a variant of the lactase LCT gene, single nucleotide polymorphism rs4988235) but not in lactase persistent individuals. We validate this finding in the UK Biobank. Further analyses reveal that among LNP individuals, higher milk intake is associated with alterations in gut microbiota (for example, enriched Bifidobacterium and reduced Prevotella) and circulating metabolites (for example, increased indolepropionate and reduced branched-chain amino acid metabolites). Many of these metabolites are related to the identified milk-associated bacteria and partially mediate the association between milk intake and T2D in LNP individuals. Our study demonstrates a protective association between milk intake and T2D among LNP individuals and a potential involvement of gut microbiota and blood metabolites in this association.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Re: BR Medical Topics Corner

Post by Amber G. »

UPGovt has allocated a fund of Rs 10 Crore in the recently announced State Budget 2024-25 for the Medical School at IIT Kanpur, expected to transform the state into a knowledge hub, while also ensuring ease-of-living.