Terror Attacks in Mumbai - IV

amdavadi
BRFite

Re: Terror Attacks in Mumbai - IV

Post by amdavadi »

Zaheer Abhas, a participant of `Sa Re Ga Ma,' allegedly left for Lahore on the night of the attack in the city
. The singer told TOI from Lahore, "I was supposed to come to Lahore to shoot for a special episode with my family. But I am not getting a ticket to return to India.'' He said, "Kuch nahi kiya toh darna kya. (If I have not done anything, why should I be afraid) I will come back to India if I get a ticket.''
I suspect,some Sa re ga ma participant were group of other terrorist who escape when mumbai police was busy at Taj? :x Why would he say kuch nahi kiya toh darna kya? There were reports about group of 14-15, while rest came the day of the attack. They had local help from other pakis who been saying here & checking out Taj for a while..This is what happens when we invite paki morons for music shows & other lame equal-equal bhai-bhai tamasha.
amar_
BRFite -Trainee

Post by amar_ »

If govt of India is not doing anything about it, we the ppl of India should pressurise them to stop water supply. Let the paki mo fus come to their knees. Ba$tard$ say that it is a hindu zionist conspiracy and point out the thread worn by the pig that got caught.
How about dumping dead pigs into the water flowing into porkistan for a change?
Sridhar
BRFite

Post by Sridhar »

An email doing the rounds with a personal account from somebody whose father narrowly escaped at the Oberoi. I have edited out any identifying information.
Dear friends,

First, I wanted to thank you all for the incredible concern and support that you'll have given me over the past few days which have been among the most emotionally and psychologically draining of my life.

By the grace of God my father was rescued from the Oberoi on Friday with two (minor) bullet wounds and is now speedily recovering. He did however lose the two best friends he was dining with that fateful night (who are like godfathers to me). We also lost a lot of other friends and colleagues and have watched our beloved city reduced to a war zone and brought to its knees.

On Wednesday night, my father and his two friends arrived at the Indian restaurant on the first floor of the Oberoi Hotel for dinner at about 10pm. They had barely sat down when they heard gun shots in the lobby of the hotel. The terrorists, armed with AK-47s, grenades and plastic explosives, had entered the hotel and were executing everybody sitting in the ground floor restaurant. Realizing the situation, the staff of the restaurant my father was in asked them to quickly exit through the kitchen. As the guests tried to rush into the kitchen, one terrorist burst into the restaurant and began to shoot anyone that remained in the restaurant. At this point my father was in the kitchen and along with his two friends rushed to the fire exit. They had barely descended a few steps when they were trapped from both ends by terrorists.

The terrorists then rounded up anyone alive (about 20 people) and made them climb the service staircase to the 18th floor. On reaching the 18th floor landing they made the people line up against a wall. One terrorist then positioned himself on the staircase going up from the landing and the other on the staircase going down from the landing. Then, in a scene right out of the Holocaust, they simultaneously opened fire on the people. My father was towards the center of the line with his two friends on either side. Out of reflex, or presence of mind, he ducked as soon as the firing began. One bullet grazed his neck, and he fell to the floor as his two friends and several other bodies piled on top of him. The terrorists then pumped another series of bullets into the heap of bodies to finish the job. This time a bullet hit my father in the back hip. Bent almost in double, crushed by the weight of the bodies above him, and suffocating in the torrent of blood rushing down on him from the various bodies my father held on for ten minutes while the terrorists left the area. When he finally had the courage to wiggle his arms he found that there were four other survivors in the room. They communicated to each other by touch as they were too afraid to make a sound. My father moved just enough to allow himself room to breathe and then lay still. The survivors passed over twelve hours lying still in the heap of bodies too afraid to move. They constantly heard gunfire and hand grenades going off in the other parts of the hotel. They feared that any noise would bring the terrorists back. After approximately twelve hours, the terrorists returned with a camera and flashlight and joked and laughed as they filmed what they thought was a pile of dead bodies. They then moved to the landing below where they set up explosives. On their departing, my father decided that it was too risky to remain where they were due to the explosives. Along with the other three survivors he climbed the rest of the stairwell, where they discovered a large HVAC plant room in which they decided to take shelter. They passed the rest of the siege hiding in this room trying to get the attention of the outside world by waving a makeshift flag out of the window. They drank sips of dirty water from the Air Conditioning unit to survive. Finally on Friday morning they were spotted by a commando rescue team that was storming the building and were evacuated to safety and taken to the hospital.

This is just one of the countless horror stories that unfolded in those two days. There are many stories of entire families being wiped out while eating their dinner, or young kids losing both parents, or pregnant women being shot while pleading for their lives, or hostages being beaten to death with the butt of a rifle so that their faces were unrecognizable. The terrorists attacked on every level. They killed middle class workers when they shot up the railway station, they killed the elite in the hotels, they killed tourists and kids as they ate in a café, and they killed the sick and dying when they stormed three hospitals. They shot people in the roads, in stations, in hotels, and even entered an apartment building. They killed Indians, Americans, Britons, Israelis, and several other nationalities. They killed men, women, children, policemen, firemen, doctors, patients. This was systematic, cold-blooded, slaughter.

We have lost a lot of friends, colleagues, and acquaintances. Every person who lives in South Mumbai has a story about how either they or someone they love either died or had a narrow escape. The true extent of the horror will only make itself clear over the next few days.

Mumbai is a proud city and we pride ourselves on bouncing back from any adversity. We survive and prosper despite all the difficulties placed on us. We are no strangers to terror and have had to pick up the pieces and move on after several attacks. This time however, the sheer scale and audacity brought the city to its knees. The openness of our society, the bustling hoards in our train stations, the vibrancy of our news media, and the thousands of tourists, diplomats, and business leaders packing our hotels was used against us to devastating effect.

In the end one tries to make sense of all this. Barack Obama said about the killers of 9/11: "My powers of empathy, my ability to reach into another's heart, cannot penetrate the blank stares of those who would murder innocents with such serene satisfaction."

Unfortunately, this is becoming an all familiar scene in today's world. While I cannot understand, I recognize again and again the hatred, anger, and desperation of the terrorists and the cold blooded, targeted, ruthlessness of those that dispatch them. They respect nothing but their own twisted beliefs and to achieve them have declared war on an entire way of life. India now finds itself as a major front of this global war.

How do we fight such hate? How do we inject humanity into such monstrosity? How do we convince those who think they kill in god's name that no God would condone such barbarity? How do we maintain our own values and humanity when faced with such hate and provocation?

Over the next week as we say goodbye to those we lost and help those that survive, Mumbai and India will ask themselves these questions. I hope the rest of the world does too.

I will remain in Mumbai for at least a week to help out with various things, after which I will probably return to complete [edited: XYZ Course] at [Edited: ABC Institution]. Right now, though I miss all everyone at [Edited: ABC Institution], I cannot fathom sitting in a classroom.

Thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers.

Regards,
XXXX
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/83377

The most gruesome reality, however, is that the current establishment of Pakistan is playing in their hands, and I strongly suspect that Zardari has already made a deal in secret with Bush administration during his un official trip to US recently, to go along with the plan and facilitate the implementation Greater Middle East Plan as much as possible.

He is surprisingly docile to India, gave statement to delay the settlement of Kashmir dispute to the coming generations and even called the Kashmiri freedom fighters Terrorist. He is sheepishly quite on routine US missile attacks against Pakistani people.
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

Jihad Sethi and the Daily Times agree that TSPA ordered the Mumbai attacks
This is when the vectors of “higher planning” seem to have come together. Taking account of the widespread media campaign that the war against terrorism is not Pakistan’s war, we can logically speculate that an authority higher than the Taliban may have commissioned a plot to push the Army out of the Tribal Areas on to the border with India.
This is what we all knew and what Johann pointed out before. TSPA is getting hit from both sides and came up with a "tactically brilliant" plan to get relief.
John Snow
BRFite

Post by John Snow »

Good Ananlysis and glad to see rungudu back.
Johaan only sees the compulsions of what TSP had to do and did, he doesnt articulate that well when it comes to India's right to retaliate.

Here he either feels we are inadequate incapable of acting or need the permission of unkil and its poodles. So far GOI seems to be following his predictions.

Even if TSP comes openly and says We did it what are you gonna do about it, what could we do except build economy
more equipment, more training, more money etc etc.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Here is the second editorial and Pukedom's fear

It would be completely foolhardy on our part to say that since this escalation would straightaway lead to a nuclear standoff, the Indians and the Americans will not take this option. This is like holding a gun to one’s head and inviting the enemy to take the gun away. Far from showing bravado, this is the time for Pakistan to cooperate and join a united front against terrorism. And it is not only air attacks we should worry about but action through the UN Security Council, preceded by cut-off of the aid promised to a financially broke Pakistan, and followed by sanctions that may block fuel and food to the Pakistani population. We should take a cold-blooded, national self-interest view and not succumb to angry, untenable outbursts of rage.

(
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

shynee wrote:26/11 fallout: Pak TV actors feel the heat
Meanwhile, the BVS has also issued a diktat to channels on the same issue. Abhijeet Mane of the party said, "We went on Raju Srivastav's set and requested him not to work with Pakistani actors. We have told the channels to do the same.'' When told that Sena leader Uddhav Thackeray is an ardent fan of Ghulam Ali, Mane said, "So am I, but it is time for all of us to sacrifice.''

Just like we discussed in the Indian psyche thread.

We believe in the power of patronage that carries a veiled threat.

The justification for hiring a Paki is fortified and made more powerful by the excuse that Uddav Thackay, son of Bal Thackray and cousin of Raj Thackay likes the Paki.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

If India goes again at porkis, this time the attack should come from both sides, afghan side as well..that way, they are really sandwiched!.. India should strengthen afghan presence, especially with this intention.. our air base there should have couple of squadrons, relief supplies, support and logistics. We could main concentrate a large IAF base there.

Porki designs can come to eating a salami sandwich.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

RAW chief visit to Pakistan report termed 'baseless'
New Delhi (IANS):Top officials in India's home ministry rubbished media reports that the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) chief Ashok Chaturvedi visited Pakistan soon after taking over the reins of the agency last year.

A front page report in the The News daily said that Chaturvedi was received by former intelligence heads from Pakistan, but the entire episode was kept under a thick veil and no information was made available to the media.

“The report is baseless. How can India's external intelligence chief be visiting Pakistan?” asked a senior intelligence functionary.

The report further added that the RAW chief came with a high-level delegation and spent two days in Islamabad.
enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Post by enqyoob »

Read carefully - now this comes from ophishial phoren nooje, so it has to be 400% reliable.
Nanny credited with tot's daring rescue
From Drew Griffin and Paula Hancocks
CNN

(CNN) -- A 2-year-old survived an attack that took the lives of his parents, thanks to a quick-thinking nanny who grabbed the boy and dashed past gunmen to safety.

It could be called one the miracles of last week's tragedy in Mumbai, India. Two-year-old Moshe Holtzberg and nanny Sandra Samuel were the only ones to make it out of the Chabad House alive after gunmen stormed the house, killing Chabad House directors Rabbi Gavriel Holtzberg and his wife, Rivka, and four others.

Rivka Holtzberg, who arrived in Mumbai with her husband five years ago to serve the city's small Jewish community, was pregnant, her father said at her funeral Tuesday, the Israeli newspaper Haaretz reported.

Those at the Chabad House were among 179 people killed last week when gunmen targeted several sites across Mumbai, including two luxury hotels, a train station and a hospital.

As the siege at the Chabad House began, Samuel heard the commotion, locked the doors and hid in a room. VideoWatch throngs of Israelis mourn the dead of Chabad House »

"She heard Mrs. Holtzberg -- Rivka -- screaming, 'Sandra, Sandra, help, Sandra,' " said Robert Katz, executive vice president of the Israeli organization Migdal Ohr. VideoWatch Katz describe the daring rescue »

The gunmen reportedly went door-to-door, searching for targets. Samuel unlocked her door and dared the gunmen to stop her, according to Katz.

She then ran upstairs to find the Holtzbergs shot dead, lying on the ground with their son crying over them.

"She literally picked him up and made a dash for the exits, almost daring the terrorists to shoot a woman carrying a baby," Katz said.

The two arrived in Israel early Tuesday on a flight with the boy's maternal grandparents and the bodies of his parents.

"Moshe, you have no living mother and father. ... Today you become the child of all Israel," Rabbi Moshe Kotlarsky, a Chabad official from New York, said in a short ceremony at the Ben Gurion International Airport near Tel Aviv.

The return of the bodies was delayed until authorities removed hand grenades from the bodies, left there by the attackers, Katz said.

{if you think about that, and reconcile with the doctors' statements, you come to some conclusions that are truly ghoulish. This is classic Pakistani Army / Lashkar-e-Toiba - tactics are straight from the terrorists' atrocities in Kashmir}

Including the Holtzbergs, four Israelis, an American Jew and a Mexican woman were gunned down last week in the attack on Mumbai's Chabad House, a Jewish center where the couple ministered to people from the community and welcomed them to pray, eat kosher food or celebrate Jewish holidays.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Re:

Post by vijayk »

Uddalak wrote:Good article in the Times.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 269730.ece

"On the day after the attacks began the Indian writer, campaigner and serial explanatist, Arundhati Roy, lambasted her own country on The World Tonight on Radio 4, for its rural poverty and its fluctuating support for Hindu nationalism. These, she seemed to suggest, were root causes of the terror. Elsewhere, analysts have pointed to the 60-year-old Kashmiri crisis as fuelling the jihad. More exotically the writer Misha Glenny now suggests that organised crime in the Pakistani city of Karachi is “the operational key” to such attacks (he has just written a book about international organised crime), but that the origins of last week's nightmare lie “in the deterioration in relations between Hindus and Muslims in Mumbai and India”. Well, these things are bad. Kashmir is bad. Hindu communalism is bad.

Poverty is bad. You can see the reasons for warfare in Kashmir, for riots in Hyderabad and for Maoist uprisings in the deep rural areas of India. But why kill the rabbi? Why invade the small headquarters of a small outreach sect of a small religion, which far from being even a big symbol of anything, you would almost certainly need a detailed map and inside knowledge even to find?

From what has been learnt from the one surviving attacker, the baby-faced and variously pre-named Mr Kasab, his group came largely from the rural southern Punjab in Pakistan. It is therefore unlikely that any of them had even encountered a Jew, or knew anyone else who had. "
Another good paragraph:

So the Chabad hostages in Nariman House aren't any more dead than the others. But they do give the lie to explanetics he meant (the bloody COMMIE anti-national Arundhati Roy). The only possible reason for going to such lengths to seek out a few Jews (as opposed to having a grand Columbine-type shoot-up in the big city) is ideology. Is because someone has told you, and you have accepted, that these people are your particular enemies.
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

Errr is that a Zardari interview on CNN or is he reading of prepared answers (questions previously submitted!)

Essentially he is saying that you help me or i shoot myself!
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Re: Re:

Post by KLNMurthy »

vijayk wrote:

"On the day after the attacks began the Indian writer, campaigner and serial explanatist, Arundhati Roy, lambasted her own country on The World Tonight on Radio 4, for its rural poverty and its fluctuating support for Hindu nationalism. These, she seemed to suggest, were root causes of the terror. Elsewhere, analysts have pointed to the 60-year-old Kashmiri crisis as fuelling the jihad. More exotically the writer Misha Glenny now suggests that organised crime in the Pakistani city of Karachi is “the operational key” to such attacks (he has just written a book about international organised crime), but that the origins of last week's nightmare lie “in the deterioration in relations between Hindus and Muslims in Mumbai and India”. Well, these things are bad. Kashmir is bad. Hindu communalism is bad.

Poverty is bad. You can see the reasons for warfare in Kashmir, for riots in Hyderabad and for Maoist uprisings in the deep rural areas of India. But why kill the rabbi? Why invade the small headquarters of a small outreach sect of a small religion, which far from being even a big symbol of anything, you would almost certainly need a detailed map and inside knowledge even to find?

From what has been learnt from the one surviving attacker, the baby-faced and variously pre-named Mr Kasab, his group came largely from the rural southern Punjab in Pakistan. It is therefore unlikely that any of them had even encountered a Jew, or knew anyone else who had. "
Another good paragraph:

So the Chabad hostages in Nariman House aren't any more dead than the others. But they do give the lie to explanetics he meant (the bloody COMMIE anti-national Arundhati Roy). The only possible reason for going to such lengths to seek out a few Jews (as opposed to having a grand Columbine-type shoot-up in the big city) is ideology. Is because someone has told you, and you have accepted, that these people are your particular enemies.
Here is a response to the cited article from someone in (our) Hyderabad:

Whom to blame ? The inventors of deadly weapons or the God him self for having allowed several religions to exist on planet ? The population will have to be reduced by one way or the other. It could be Tsunami or earth quake or cyclone or wild fires . OR it could be terror attack. Don't ever wonder

satyadev, Hyderabad, India

Hope he is the only one whose mind works like this...
sznat
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sznat »

shaggy wrote:This is what every city/state needs regardless of the NSG commandos deployment proposal by ther center.

West Bengal to set up elite commando force
2 Dec 2008, 2200 hrs IST, PTI

Print Email Discuss Share Save Comment Text:

KOLKATA: In the wake of the terrorist attack in Mumbai, West Bengal government has decided to set up its own elite special forces on the lines of
the National Security Guards to tackle urban terror.

The 1000-strong squad, to be based in Kolkata, would be given commando training and taught use of sophisticated weaponry to deal with terrorist attacks, hostage situations and protect vital installations.
I think this is one of the better developments. Taking into consideration of many posts on the merits of having a larger NSG force split and deployed in multiple urban metropolis, this direction of local city police raising special teams may be more effective.
If you have travelled through major airport around the world especially inpost 9/11 perriod,e.g Hong Kong, Singapore and even London you will see sections of up to 4-5 fully armed (with HK MP5 etc) on routine patrols. These are not army/navy type commandos but rather elite Police special action squads with extensive training in fighting in built up areas etc. They are always deployed in such areas that require high level of protection against hijackers and or suicide bombers. These guys also receive extensive target practice/range time making most of them expert marksmen.
Indian Police should emulate them, and deploy them is major railway stations/airports etc. Such a team or two at CTS terminal could have been very effective in containing/pursuing them.
As for urban policing, the .303s have to GO! They have no place in modern policing. Even in countries like Malaysia/Thailand you can always two man police teams patrolling with at least one of them equipped with an M-16 and a Motorola tactical radio on them. Polce mobile patrol teams in cars are also equipped with shot-guns in most cases (concealed in the boot). This is despite the fact that most encounters these guys face are with armed criminal gangs (eg. bank robbers with Automatic weapons!).
Rahul or some one else makes the case for the SLRs being retired from the Indian Army to be channeled to the police, this may be a good first step. Eventually, all police weapons have to be modernised to keep up with current threat levels.
Days of asking the Indian constable to walk around with a beat stick only should be ended. They need to be armed and trained to use such arms effectively in anticipated scenarios.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

Hope he is the only one whose mind works like this...
nope...shilpa shetty is reported to have said something like this...
Sriram
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sriram »

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index ... oId=210920

Jon Stewart from yesterday (12/1/2008). Warning - language
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... oMuJ8Ca8Rw

McConnell blames Lashkar-e-Taiba for Mumbai attacks

2 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AFP) — US Director of National Intelligence Mike McConnell late Tuesday blamed Lashkar-e-Taiba for the deadly attacks in Mumbai, the first time a US official publicly fingered the group.

"The same group that we believe is responsible for Mumbai had a similar attack in 2006 attack on a train and killed a similar number of people," said McConnell, speaking at Harvard University. "Go back to 2001 and it was an attack on the parliament."

McConnell did not mention Lashkar-e-Taiba by name, but the group, which fought Indian rule in divided Kashmir, is notorious for a deadly assault on the Indian parliament in 2001. That attack pushed New Delhi and Islamabad to the brink of war.

The radical Islamic group, whose name means "Army of the Pious," has past links to both Pakistani intelligence and Al-Qaeda.

McConnell, the top US intelligence official, said he did not see the Mumbai attack as a new form of terrorism.

"If you examine the groups we think are responsible, the philosophical underpinnings are very similar to what Al-Qaeda puts out as their view of how the world should be. It is a continuation," he said.

About 10 gunmen landed in rubber dinghies in Mumbai and wreaked havoc with automatic weapons and hand grenades, in an assault that killed at least 188 people and injured more than 300. The dead included 22 foreign nationals.

In his speech, McConnell emphasized the difficulty in fighting shadowy Islamist groups such as Al-Qaeda and Lashkar-e-Taiba.

"Democratic systems that promote free speech and free movement and open discussion are incredibly vulnerable to someone who is willing to die in the context of a suicide bomber or a suicide attack," McConnell said.

Washington has been dropping hints for days that the group was behind the attacks: a US counter-terrorism official speaking on condition of anonymity told AFP on Saturday that Lashkar-e-Taiba may have been responsible for the attacks. A spokesman for the Pakistan-based group denied any involvement in the Mumbai atrocities.

US officials had warned India in October hotels and business centers in Mumbai would be targeted by attackers coming from the sea, according to US news media reports.

Indian intelligence officials intercepted a phone call on November 18 to an address in Pakistan used by the head of Lashkar-e-Taiba, revealing a possible attack from the sea, ABC News reported.

Indian police believe that top Lashkar-e-Taiba member Yusuf Muzammil masterminded the Mumbai attacks, the Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday.

Muzammil was identified as the brains behind the attacks by Ajmal Kasab, the only gunman who was captured alive, an unidentified senior police official told the US business daily.

Pakistan outlawed Lashkar-e-Taiba after the 2001 attack on the Indian parliament, though Indian officials allege the ban has not been enforced.

Separately, ABC News reported that the attackers were also armed with five bombs, two of which were described as sophisticated.
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

Hi all, this is my first post on this thread until now I have just been trying to read through all the pages that you all have posted...phew :!:

Firstly thank you all for posting and keeping everyone up to date. I have been reading BR more than seeing one of our idiotic DDM news channels :evil:
Godspeed and kudos to the brave heroes of the NSG, Marcos, Army and Mumbai police and RIP to the brave souls who laid down their lives in the line of duty :(

I think at this time, it is important for our Govt to ensure that the economic impact of this attack is minimal. One of the main aims of this attack was to hamper us economically.
It is imperative for our netas to ensure that India and Mumbai's impression as an attractive destination for phoren FDI and investments does not get tainted. IMHO we have more to lose than porkistan and these bas$#@&s know it well.

I am all for a strong military action but at this junction it looks increasingly difficult for our neta's just don't have the b@lls to carry it out. Like Singha saar said we can either have one massive hit on porkis and just wipe everything out conventionally and take a massive economic hit for us to finish this problem once and for all. But that probably wont happen because of our most respected netas. The other option si to give RAW "black" funding and freedom (within a limit ofcourse) to operate openly and just bleed porkistan internally. Its a more covert option and one that can be implemented if its carried out properly (tap the yehudis if necessary). We have the resources and the brilliant brains time to use em.

I also think that in the last five years we have focussed a lot on our traditional hard forces (Army, Navy, Air force) given our neighbourhood it is critical to improve our soft forces (RAW, CBI, ATS, various intel agencies, State police depts, etc). After all a lot of domestic internal security is the responsibility of these soft forces. I also think that the Govt should radically revamp the management structure of these organisations, so that intel and info flows smoothly to the people that need it most without a billion sign offs and meetings.

This is the hardest lesson that any govt anywhere in the world could have learnt and if our fat netas don't learn out of this then they deserve to be kicked.

After reading all the posts I was a bit overwhelmed and in the true jingo spirit I convinced my cousin sis to keep her marriage in Mumbai, from there me and her managed to convince the families to ensure that the wedding is not moved from Mumbai to Pune....screw the porkis we aint changing aamchi Mumbai.
Last edited by andy B on 03 Dec 2008 08:32, edited 1 time in total.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

Burkha 'idiot' Dutt on 'We the people', kept drawing attention to 'Malegaon' when reporting the death of the ATS cops. :roll: :roll: :roll:

When the duffers in the crowd were asked to observe a minute's silence, only the cops were mentioned, when one abdul in the crowd demanded Armed forces/Firefighters/Taj staff also be included.
pradeepe
BRFite
Location: Our culture is different and we cannot live together - who said that?

Re:

Post by pradeepe »

"On the day after the attacks began the Indian writer, campaigner and serial explanatist, Arundhati Roy, lambasted her own country on The World Tonight on Radio 4, for its rural poverty and its fluctuating support for Hindu nationalism. These, she seemed to suggest, were root causes of the terror.
"
What is a serial explanatist?
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Question to the experts:

During the 7/11 bombings in London a few years back, all the pigs who carried out the attack were dead if I recall. How did the Brits trace them to TSP?

Reason I ask is because the hypcritical west is even veering around to the notion that TSPians were involved in the attack because of the one pig who was captured alive. Heaven knows it would have been India alleges, TSP denies galore if this pig also was dead.

I mean LeT roams freely in TSP, it has a huge following, it raises funds regularly, Hafeez Saeed is chied patron of ISI and TSPA, and yet India is asked to provide 'evidence'.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

someone who finds wrong and unusual explanations when the simplest
one is correct, someone who believes only he/she knows the answers and
the RoW are all fools and hindu nationalists.
SureshP
BRFite

Re: Re:

Post by SureshP »

pradeepe wrote:

"On the day after the attacks began the Indian writer, campaigner and serial explanatist, Arundhati Roy, lambasted her own country on The World Tonight on Radio 4, for its rural poverty and its fluctuating support for Hindu nationalism. These, she seemed to suggest, were root causes of the terror.
"
Someone who can explain, in a infinite number of ways, without ever stopping to take breath or use commonsense, why day is night and night is really day.
kshirin
BRFite

Post by kshirin »

These are good, from http://proactblog.blogspot.com
I especially like the one on Bahut Impotent politicians, quite a gem...the blog is good.

Monday, December 1, 2008
WHO SAYS THERE WERE NO COMMANDOS WITH AK-47s IN MUMBAI ON THE NIGHT OF WEDNESDAY 26th Nov ?

There is this belief that Mumbai was caught with 'its pants down' (as Kavita Khanna aptly put it on a CNN program) and one of the ways we know this is that it took at least six to seven hours before the elite commandos could fly in from New Delhi, and reach the besieged Taj, Oberoi and Nariman House in Mumbai.

I think we need to do our homework a tad more properly, folks.
There are always enough commandos in Mumbai and Maharashtra already. At all times...

It is just that hey, they are all busy guarding our 'bahut impotent' politicians.
(As you can see, in one of the pictures here, the danger must have been from the dead bodies, even while hundreds were hostage to terrorists a few miles away).

We saw it again and again and again. Narendra Modi walking up to address a press conference at our Ground Zero, preceded by AK- 47 toting commandos in front of him. even while the need for desperate action was right behind him.

And when R. R. Patil says what is a few lives lost when 5000 could have gone in this 'itne bade shahar'? Listen, we need to pay attention to him. He is SO right...
Think of its implications...

Will someone tell the Narendra Modis, Bal & Raj-the-great Thackereys, Vilasrao Deshmukhs, Sharad Pawars, L.K. Advanis, R.R. Patils of this world: had they just let the commandos guarding them, join in the action, what a difference it could have made early on?
And when left naked without Z + , had they actually lost their lives behind the gates of their fortresses late that night, by that remote one-in-a-million chance, what is a few lives lost, while '5000' get saved, no ?

Leading from the front is to set by example.
Salaskar, Karkare and Kamte have proven it.
Since we aam junta have no Z plus, Z , Y, X or even the basic ABC of security, my question is this
a) when will these junta-ke-pratinidhis learn to breathe the same air, live in the same world that we live in?
b) I was under the impression that this democracy believes every single citizen is equal - the only reason politicians are given Z level cover is because there is a distinct security threat to the individual.
Here the security threat was clearly to other individuals. Why was this not recognized???

Also from Forbes a harrowing account...
http://www.forbes.com/opinions/2008/12/ ... llack.html

Commentary
Heroes At The Taj
Michael Pollack, 12.01.08, 07:40 PM EST
After a terrifying day, one eyewitness thanks his saviors.

My story begins innocuously, with a dinner reservation in a world-class hotel. It ends 12 hours later after the Indian army freed us.
My point is not to sensationalize events. It is to express my gratitude and pay tribute to the staff of the Taj Mahal Hotel in Mumbai, who sacrificed their lives so that we could survive. They, along with the Indian army, are the true heroes that emerged from this tragedy.
My wife, Anjali, and I were married in the Taj's Crystal Ballroom. Her parents were married there, too, and so were Shiv and Reshma, the couple with whom we had dinner plans. In fact, my wife and Reshma, both Bombay girls, grew up hanging out and partying the night away there and at the Oberoi Hotel, another terrorist target.
The four of us arrived at the Taj around 9:30 p.m. for dinner at the Golden Dragon, one of the better Chinese restaurants in Mumbai. We were a little early, and our table wasn't ready. So we walked next door to the Harbour Bar and had barely begun to enjoy our beers when the host told us our table was ready. We decided to stay and finish our drinks.
Thirty seconds later, we heard what sounded like a heavy tray smashing to the ground. This was followed by 20 or 30 similar sounds and then absolute silence. We crouched behind a table just feet away from what we now knew were gunmen. Terrorists had stormed the lobby and were firing indiscriminately.
We tried to break the glass window in front of us with a chair, but it wouldn't budge. The Harbour Bar's hostess, who had remained at her post, motioned to us that it was safe to make a run for the stairwell. She mentioned, in passing, that there was a dead body right outside in the corridor. We believe this courageous woman was murdered after we ran away.
(We later learned that minutes after we climbed the stairs, terrorists came into the Harbour Bar, shot everyone who was there and executed those next door at the Golden Dragon. The staff there was equally brave, locking their patrons into a basement wine cellar to protect them. But the terrorists managed to break through and lob in grenades that killed everyone in the basement.)
Comment On This Story
We took refuge in the small office of the kitchen of another restaurant, Wasabi, on the second floor. Its chef and staff served the four of us food and drink and even apologized for the inconvenience we were suffering.
Through text messaging, e-mail on BlackBerrys and a small TV in the office, we realized the full extent of the terrorist attack on Mumbai. We figured we were in a secure place for the moment. There was also no way out.
At around 11:30 p.m., the kitchen went silent. We took a massive wooden table and pushed it up against the door, turned off all the lights and hid. All of the kitchen workers remained outside; not one staff member had run.
The terrorists repeatedly slammed against our door. We heard them ask the chef in Hindi if anyone was inside the office. He responded calmly: "No one is in there. It's empty." That is the second time the Taj staff saved our lives.
After about 20 minutes, other staff members escorted us down a corridor to an area called The Chambers, a members-only area of the hotel. There were about 250 people in six rooms. Inside, the staff was serving sandwiches and alcohol. People were nervous, but cautiously optimistic. We were told The Chambers was the safest place we could be because the army was now guarding its two entrances and the streets were still dangerous. There had been attacks at a major railway station and a hospital.
But then, a member of parliament phoned into a live newscast and let the world know that hundreds of people--including CEOs, foreigners and members of parliament--were "secure and safe in The Chambers together." Adding to the escalating tension and chaos was the fact that, via text and cellphone, we knew that the dome of the Taj was on fire and that it could move downward.
At around 2 a.m., the staff attempted an evacuation. We all lined up to head down a dark fire escape exit. But after five minutes, grenade blasts and automatic weapon fire pierced the air. A mad stampede ensued to get out of the stairwell and take cover back inside The Chambers.
After that near-miss, my wife and I decided we should hide in different rooms. While we hoped to be together at the end, our primary obligation was to our children. We wanted to keep one parent alive. Because I am American and my wife is Indian, and news reports said the terrorists were targeting U.S. and U.K. nationals, I believed I would further endanger her life if we were together in a hostage situation.
So when we ran back to The Chambers I hid in a toilet stall with a floor-to-ceiling door and my wife stayed with our friends, who fled to a large room across the hall.
For the next seven hours, I lay in the fetal position, keeping in touch with Anjali via BlackBerry. I was joined in the stall by Joe, a Nigerian national with a U.S. green card. I managed to get in touch with the FBI, and several agents gave me status updates throughout the night.
I cannot even begin to explain the level of adrenaline running through my system at this point. It was this hyper-aware state where every sound, every smell, every piece of information was ultra-acute, analyzed and processed so that we could make the best decisions and maximize the odds of survival.
Was the fire above us life-threatening? What floor was it on? Were the commandos near us, or were they terrorists? Why is it so quiet? Did the commandos survive? If the terrorists come into the bathroom and to the door, when they fire in, how can I make my body as small as possible? If Joe gets killed before me in this situation, how can I throw his body on mine to barricade the door? If the Indian commandos liberate the rest in the other room, how will they know where I am? Do the terrorists have suicide vests? Will the roof stand? How can I make sure the FBI knows where Anjali and I are? When is it safe to stand up and attempt to urinate?
Meanwhile, Anjali and the others were across the corridor in a mass of people lying on the floor and clinging to each other. People barely moved for seven hours, and for the last three hours they felt it was too unsafe to even text. While I was tucked behind a couple walls of marble and granite in my toilet stall, she was feet from bullets flying back and forth. After our failed evacuation, most of the people in the fire escape stairwell and many staff members who attempted to protect the guests were shot and killed.
The 10 minutes around 2:30 a.m. were the most frightening. Rather than the back-and-forth of gunfire, we just heard single, punctuated shots. We later learned that the terrorists went along a different corridor of The Chambers, room by room, and systematically executed everyone: women, elderly, Muslims, Hindus, foreigners. A group huddled next to Anjali was devout Bori Muslims who would have been slaughtered just like everyone else, had the terrorists gone into their room. Everyone was in deep prayer and most, Anjali included, had accepted that their lives were likely over. It was terrorism in its purest form. No one was spared.
The next five hours were filled with the sounds of an intense grenade/gun battle between the Indian commandos and the terrorists. It was fought in darkness; each side was trying to outflank the other.
By the time dawn broke, the commandos had successfully secured our corridor. A young commando led out the people packed into Anjali's room. When one woman asked whether it was safe to leave, the commando replied: "Don't worry, you have nothing to fear. The first bullets have to go through me."
The corridor was laced with broken glass and bullet casings. Every table was turned over or destroyed. The ceilings and walls were littered with hundreds of bullet holes. Blood stains were everywhere, though, fortunately, there were no dead bodies to be seen.
A few minutes after Anjali had vacated, Joe and I peeked out of our stall. We saw multiple commandos and smiled widely. I had lost my right shoe while sprinting to the toilet so I grabbed a sheet from the floor, wrapped it around my foot and proceeded to walk over the debris to the hotel lobby.
Anjali and I embraced for the first time in seven hours in the Taj's ground floor entrance. I didn't know whether she was dead or injured because we hadn't been able to text for the past three hours.
I wanted to take a picture of us on my BlackBerry, but Anjali wanted us to get out of there before doing anything.
She was right--our ordeal wasn't completely over. A large bus pulled up in front of the Taj to collect us and, just about as it was fully loaded, gunfire erupted again. The terrorists were still alive and firing automatic weapons at the bus. Anjali was the last to get on the bus, and she eventually escaped in our friend's car. I ducked under some concrete barriers for cover and wound up the subject of photos that were later splashed across the media. Shortly thereafter, an ambulance came and drove a few of us to safety. An hour later, Anjali and I were again reunited at her parents' home. Our Thanksgiving had just gained a lot more meaning.
Some may say our survival was due to random luck, others might credit divine intervention. But 72 hours removed from these events, I can assure you only one thing: Far fewer people would have survived if it weren't for the extreme selflessness shown by the Taj staff, who organized us, catered to us and then, in the end, literally died for us.
They complemented the extreme bravery and courage of the Indian commandos, who, in a pitch-black setting and unfamiliar, tightly packed terrain, valiantly held the terrorists at bay.
It is also amazing that, out of our entire group, not one person screamed or panicked. There was an eerie but quiet calm that pervaded--one more thing that got us all out alive. Even people in adjacent rooms, who were being executed, kept silent.
It is much easier to destroy than to build, yet somehow humanity has managed to build far more than it has ever destroyed. Likewise, in a period of crisis, it is much easier to find faults and failings rather than to celebrate the good deeds. It is now time to commemorate our heroes.
Michael Pollack is a general partner of Glenhill Capital, a firm he co-founded in 2001.
Tilak
BRFite

Post by Tilak »

Please email the above video to as many as you know...

enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Post by enqyoob »

Meanwhile, from The chief Worm in LaHore:
Attack on complex will be unfortunate: Jamaatud Dawa

By Our Staff Reporter

LAHORE, Dec 2: Jamaatud Dawa Amir Hafiz Mohammad Saeed has said that it will be unfortunate if India attacked his organisation's headquarters in Muridke, as has been indicated in media reports, because the complex housed only educational institutions.

In an interview with a TV channel, he denied that the centre contained any training facility for terrorists or jihadis and said that instead of blaming Pakistan India should focus on investigation of the Mumbai terrorist attacks. He recalled that the involvement of Indian nationals had been proved in various terrorism-related cases being heard in Indian courts.
SureshP
BRFite

Post by SureshP »

US stays away from India's demand of fugitives from Pak
Font size:
NEWSX
02 December, 2008 10:48:21
The White House has declined to comment on India's demand that Pakistan should hand over twenty fugitives as a sign of good faith in the aftermath of terror attacks in Mumbai and has left the issue for discussion during Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice's visit to New Delhi.

"I saw reports about it, but I will not comment on it and let Rice do the talking. Let her try to work out on issues. I don't want to get in front of anything she's working on," Secretary of Press Dana Perino said On Board Air Force One.

Perino also refused to answer queries on whether intelligence related issues will be high on agenda during Rice's visit.

"I will not talk about our intelligence agencies and their cooperation with any other country. It would not be appropriate for me to do so," Perino replied.

Speaking on the meetings of Rice in New Delhi, Perino said the top Bush administration official will hold talks with Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

"She'll hold talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and I am sure Foreign Minister Pranab Mukherjee will also be there. Beyond that, I don't have any information who else she is going to meet."

Refusing to comment on the Secretary of State's plans to visit Islamabad, Perino said "It depends on the State Department plans to change travel schedule or announce anything later. I'll just leave it to them."

"I think she's only scheduled to go to New Delhi when in India and has no plans to go to Mumbai," she said.
http://howrah.org/india_news/36386.html
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

per news reports it is the politicized, leaky and discredited mumbai ATS
which is handling the interrogation of the surviving terrorist.
nkumar
BRFite

Post by nkumar »

Modi is next in fidayeen crosshairs
Reports of suicide bombers in Gujarat doing the rounds

MUMBAI/ GANDHINAGAR: After Mumbai, where will the fidayeen strike next? If intelligence intercepts and top police officials are to be believed, the next big terror focus is Gujarat, with chief minister Narendra Modi being the target of a suicide attack.

“One of the intelligence intercepts said the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) was determined to avenge the killings of over a thousand Muslims in Gujarat in 2002 by killing 5,000 in Gujarat. Similar information has now been revealed by the lone terrorist now in the custody of the Mumbai police,” says an intelligence source.

“The Taj was also on the LeT radar. We had written to the Gujarat and Maharashtra governments and Ratan Tata to take necessary measures. Tata has publicly acknowledged our warning,” the official said.

Another senior Maharashtra police officer said a group of LeT operatives was already in Gujarat trying to penetrate Modi’s inner cordon. Modi gets Z category security, the highest level. This is being reviewed in the context of the first part of the intelligence — the Taj and Oberoi attacks — coming true.

“After the Mumbai attacks, the threat to Modi has increased. Our perception is suicide attackers have moved close to Modi, and the state government has been asked to be on high alert,” the officer said.

The state government is covertly screening all those working closely with Modi at his residence and office to avoid any sabotage from within, the official added.

The Gujarat government is also trying to sniff out the fidayeen group, if it has already reached close to the target.

Sources in Gandhinagar, the Gujarat capital, said warnings of a renewed threat to Modi had not yet been communicated by the Intelligence Bureau formally. Modi is already one of the most protected VIPs in the country. In addition to cover from the National Security Guards, he also gets security from state commandos.

Gujarat minister of state for home Amit Shah said he has not received any fresh communication on a new threat to Modi’s life. But he said Modi had enough security cover. State chief secretary D Rajagopalan declined to divulge anything, saying he would not be able throw light on such queries.

A senior police official said Modi was given a two-tier security layer for functions attended in Ahmedabad and other places in the state. In the past few months, commandos had been deployed even on the Gandhinagar-Ahmedabad route at a few vulnerable points. This arrangement has been made following reports that Modi’s motorcade could be blasted by explosives-laden vehicles operated by fidayeen groups.

Naxalites in Andhra Pradesh and, recently, in West Bengal have used this technique to target politicians.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Gerard wrote:
On September 24, R&AW’s computer recorded another satellite phone conversation. This time, the LeT asset identified the hotels that were being considered for the attack by name. They were the Taj, the Marriott, the Land’s End and the Sea Rock. A possible attack on the Juhu airfield (used by a flying club) was also discussed.
And just why is information of this sort on RAW capabilities being published in the media?
Hi Gerard,which article were you quoting?
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

India, US, Israel must ally against terror: Expert
Suman Guha Mozumder in New York | December 02, 2008 | 10:41 IST

An American anti-terrorist and human rights expert on South Asia believes the intelligence failures in Mumbai were systemic and in some ways aped the failures of the United States before September 11, 2001.

Richard L Benkin, founder of Interfaith Strength, said in an interview with this correspondent that one gigantic problem in India is the lack of coordination among intelligence agencies that might have "different pieces to a deadly puzzle."

"Although Israeli intelligence has been aiding India on a number of fronts, there was little or no multi-national coordination, and that is a particularly deadly mistake with regard to Islamist terror because Islamist terror is an international phenomenon and discreet national efforts will never defeat the enemy at its source," Benkin said.

"The third systemic failure is the refusal of the Indian government to recognise that Islamist terror is an existential threat whose perpetrators will be satisfied with nothing less than the death of India as we know it," he said.

By his admission Benkin has traveled to South Asia several times to free political prisoners, visit refugee camps, identify the alliance among South Asian Islamists and Communists, oppose Islamist radicals, and protest the ethnic cleansing of Bangladeshi Hindus.
Since the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States, Benkin said there have been over 11,000 incidents of terror worldwide. He noted that even before the Mumbai terror attacks, terrorists had murdered over 1,100 Indian citizens this year alone. "What sort of rationalisations could convince anyone that these attacks are discreet and limited? We in the United States made the same mistake when we failed to see the same threat after the 1993 attacks on the World Trade Centre in New York," he said.

"But I do not believe that these delusions are coming from the intelligence establishment itself. Clearly, these agencies are not independent operators and are held subordinate to the political structures and elected leaders in the nation," he said.

"We have the same problem in the United States. To be sure, India and the United States are democracies and have certain standards of acceptable and moral behaviour but it is a particularly imbecility of our time that holds those structures incompetent if they do not demonstrate their power over the intelligence professionals in some public manner," he said.
In response to a question whether or not anger generated by the attacks in Mumbai would be translated into a sustained government resolve to overcome terror, Benkin said the first and most important factor is recognising the fact that no matter what happens today, tomorrow, or the next day, or even if the US apprehends Osama bin Laden, the terrorist threat will be diminished perhaps for a time but in no way eliminated. He said there is a need to recognise that the threat is a transnational one, needing a transnational response.

Benkin favours an alliance against extremism among India, Israel and the United States. "All three countries have been targeted for elimination by the Islamists -- and if that is not sufficient motivation for strong action, it is rather impossible to imagine what is. Each of these three nations has withstood unrelenting terror attacks and still thrives," he said. "Their power in an alliance would be unstoppable -- so long as all three discard self-destructive notions like political correctness. Once those conceptual changes have been made, effective action is a matter of filling in the blanks."

Link
Karan Dixit
BRFite

Post by Karan Dixit »

There is a genuine desire to fight terrorism among both Indians and Israelis. As far as US is concerned, they have spent last five decades helping Islamists in every corner of the globe. Pakistan is not the only Islamist regime supported by US.
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

Karan:

I agree.

The Real Axis of Evil

Saudi Arabia, America and Pakistan

S A P
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

As per news reports, zardari outright rejects Indian demands...

Interesting to see Delhi's "response" to the "unexpected" turn of events?
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

40 Muslims Died in Mumbai (at Present count)

In the greatest irony of the Mumbai attacks, more than 40 Muslims, at the present count, died in acts of terror carried out in the name of their religion. At least 183 people died in the attacks last week.

One survivor was Hussain Rizvi, 20, a front desk executive at the Taj hotel who hid himself in a small second-floor pantry at 10 pm on Wednesday. He emerged dehydrated 42 hours later on Friday, narrowly escaping death at the hands of men who proclaimed they were fighting for the cause of Indian Muslims.

Hussain’s father, Maulana Zaheer Abbas Rizvi, general secretary of the All India Shia Personal Law Board, stood outside the Taj for hours, watching grenades and gunfire rip apart the hotel in which his son was captive. Though Hussain’s smses provided intermittent relief, the maulana could only pray helplessly. “There is no justification (for this),” said the maulana. “All of India should stand up to fight against terrorism. I don’t consider these terrorists Muslims.”

The sentiment is echoed by other Muslims in Mumbai, aghast that the attacks were committed in the name of jihad. Fashion designer-artist Nahid Merchant, 49, a Muslim who prays five times a day and attends weekly workshops that discuss Islam as a way of life, said, “These terrorists are the worst enemies of Muslims. I hang my head in shame when the terrorists compare their victory to that of the historic Battle of Badar, which was fought to save Islam.”

“They say they are taking revenge for what happened in Gujarat, but two wrongs can never make a right,”Merchant added.

Salim Shaikh, 21, a delivery boy who helped transport the injured and the dead to hospitals after a taxi-bomb exploded near his house in Wadi Bunder, said, “If they (terrorists) come in front of me, I will kill them.”

Mohammed Naeem, 30, a fruit seller in Bandra, equally angry, said, “Because of them, my business has gone down by more than half. Everyone is scared to come out. Both Hindus and Muslims are suffering because of their actions.”

Maulana Mehmood Daryabadi, general secretary, All India Ulema Council (Sunni), said Muslim clerics were condemning the terrorists through the media and through sermons in mosques across the city. “We doubt that these terrorists are Muslims, because jihad does not mean perpetrating violence,” he said.

A Muslim woman, who did not wish to be named, conducts workshops for followers to build faith and lead their lives as devoted Muslims. “In Islam, we greet each other by saying ‘Assalaamu' Alaykum’, which means ‘Peace be unto you’. These acts have nothing to do with our religion. They have been committed by human machine guns that are evil beyond imagination,” she said.

(Does Anyone have list/information/link of deceased?)
krithivas
BRFite

Post by krithivas »

A fidayeen pig is a terrorist, and thats what that pigs are.

IMO - The term fidayeen (i.e., pig) attempts to romanticize a pig's action as perceived by multitudes of pigs that roam around in a pig sty.

R. Krithivas
nkumar wrote:Modi is next in fidayeen crosshairs
Reports of suicide bombers in Gujarat doing the rounds

MUMBAI/ GANDHINAGAR: After Mumbai, where will the fidayeen strike next? If intelligence intercepts and top police officials are to be believed, the next big terror focus is Gujarat, with chief minister Narendra Modi being the target of a suicide attack.

“One of the intelligence intercepts said the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) was determined to avenge the killings of over a thousand Muslims in Gujarat in 2002 by killing 5,000 in Gujarat. Similar information has now been revealed by the lone terrorist now in the custody of the Mumbai police,” says an intelligence source.

“The Taj was also on the LeT radar. We had written to the Gujarat and Maharashtra governments and Ratan Tata to take necessary measures. Tata has publicly acknowledged our warning,” the official said.

Another senior Maharashtra police officer said a group of LeT operatives was already in Gujarat trying to penetrate Modi’s inner cordon. Modi gets Z category security, the highest level. This is being reviewed in the context of the first part of the intelligence — the Taj and Oberoi attacks — coming true.

“After the Mumbai attacks, the threat to Modi has increased. Our perception is suicide attackers have moved close to Modi, and the state government has been asked to be on high alert,” the officer said.

The state government is covertly screening all those working closely with Modi at his residence and office to avoid any sabotage from within, the official added.

The Gujarat government is also trying to sniff out the fidayeen group, if it has already reached close to the target.

Sources in Gandhinagar, the Gujarat capital, said warnings of a renewed threat to Modi had not yet been communicated by the Intelligence Bureau formally. Modi is already one of the most protected VIPs in the country. In addition to cover from the National Security Guards, he also gets security from state commandos.

Gujarat minister of state for home Amit Shah said he has not received any fresh communication on a new threat to Modi’s life. But he said Modi had enough security cover. State chief secretary D Rajagopalan declined to divulge anything, saying he would not be able throw light on such queries.

A senior police official said Modi was given a two-tier security layer for functions attended in Ahmedabad and other places in the state. In the past few months, commandos had been deployed even on the Gandhinagar-Ahmedabad route at a few vulnerable points. This arrangement has been made following reports that Modi’s motorcade could be blasted by explosives-laden vehicles operated by fidayeen groups.

Naxalites in Andhra Pradesh and, recently, in West Bengal have used this technique to target politicians.
nsa_tanay
BRFite -Trainee

Re:

Post by nsa_tanay »

aditya wrote:Communist defends uncouth Kerala Chief Minister's despicable remarks
"His utterances were perhaps unbecoming of a chief minister but I understand his anger, I justify his anger. I don't think that the family should have behaved that way,'' said A B Bardhan, CPI leader.

Official response from CPIM :--
http://www.patnadaily.com/news2008/dec/ ... gizes.htmlKarat Apologizes for Kerala CM's Reckless
"The Chief Minister's remarks are regrettable and show lack of sensitivity on his part. I talked to him earlier and while he regrets what he said in the heat of the moment, his intentions to visit the family were honest and had no political overtone,"