Terror Attacks in Mumbai - IV

kobe
BRFite

Re: Terror Attacks in Mumbai - IV

Post by kobe »

Request to Mods / Webmasters / Mullahs:

Please keep the link to this forum at the top of the news section (like before), this link is sliding down in priority.

- indian army should operate along side nato in afghanistan (under the humanitarian pretext or whatever)

- indian army should operate along side israel in gaza strip (under the pretext of training)

- indian army should land in somalia and kill a few dozen islamic pirates (under the pretext of national security)

- wherever there are islamic terrorists who don't like india or don't recognise kashmir as indian state, they are a threat to indian civilians/military and indian economy

Mr. Manmohan Singh, please act!
For once, just for once act in the name of the great Sikh Gurus,
Stop listening to Sonia and ACT,
Else you are not the son of this country.
Chinmayanand
BRF Oldie

Post by Chinmayanand »

Mr. Manmohan Singh, please act!
Mr Manmohan Singh replies " What the hell you think i am doing, i am hoping an Academy Award for my Acting ." :evil:
For once, just for once act in the name of the great Sikh Gurus,
Mr Manmohan Singh replies,"Those were spiritual gurus ,they did not understand Economics of War,you see, money talks, i am the new Economic guru". 8)
Stop listening to Sonia and ACT,
Mr Manmohan Singh replies,"I don't listen to SoniyaJI , i just read her orders and follow it flawlessly.You see , i am an obedient servant.My obedience will serve as an example in the history of Congress". :D
Else you are not the son of this country.
Mr Manmohan Singh replies,"Yeah, you are right.I was born in pakistan and i am paying my dues to my birthland.I am the long lost son of pakistan". :P
Last edited by Chinmayanand on 05 Jan 2009 00:06, edited 2 times in total.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Durgesh,
Please do not start another round of "invent a new name for the PM". It only spirals downwards from there. We all are frustrated with the actions of the govt. but please maintain a certain level of decency in the forum when talking about Indian leaders. Thanks.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Kasab thought he was on Mission Kashmir
5 Jan 2009, 0019 hrs IST, C Unnikrishnan, TNN

MUMBAI: The terrorists who took part in the 26/11 attack on Mumbai were motivated and brainwashed by their handlers into believing they were
fighting for the liberation of Kashmir.

Sources in the security establishment told TOI that the 10 men behind the deadly terrorist strike were told that they were picked for a mission in Kashmir; there was no mention about the real target until the last stage of the operation was set in motion.

Amir Ajmal Kasab, the lone terrorist caught alive, confirmed this during his interrogation. The terrorists who carried out the strikes at Colaba, CST and Nariman Point were told about the destination only at the fag-end of their one-and-a-half year training.

Sources said that Kasab now wants to apologise to his mother for his act. When he had gone home for a three-day break in the middle of his training, he had confessed to his mother that he had become a mujahideen. His mother tried hard but in vain to convince him to rethink what he was about to do, sources said. Kasab still believes that his mother will pardon him, as he feels any mother would pray for the well-being of her children.

A 4th standard dropout, Kasab was indoctrinated into the hate-India campaign by making him believe that he would go to heaven (jannat) for his actions. Sources said that Kasab believed that it was God's wish that he carry out the attack. "He did not regret the act and insisted that his actions were not against Islam, which is against the killing of innocents," a source said. According to sources, Kasab has not lost his composure and shows no sign of remorse.

Kasab believed that his trainers were sent by god to help the `jihadis' carry out these attacks. When asked about the one person who reportedly left the training camp midway, Kasab attributed it too to god's will.

He found nothing wrong in his trainers staying back and sending him on a suicidal mission. According to Kasab, it was god who had assigned a role for everyone, including his mentors. ``He kept on saying what happened was fated,'' a source said. However, now Kasab says he will never pick up a gun again.

Kasab reportedly said that he and his partner, Ismail Khan, who was shot dead at Girgaum, were not buddies. The duo stepped out of the CST station after gunning down 57 persons and headed towards Cama Hospital.

``Kasab claimed that they did not exchange notes and neither did they discuss any escape plans after emerging from CST. They were not aware of the topography of the area,'' a source said. Kasab apparently did not know about the renaming of VT station as CST. He kept on saying `VTS', meaning VT station.

After a gunbattle with cops at Cama Hospital, the duo hijacked a police jeep after killing five police personnel, including ATS chief Hemant Karkare. While fleeing, they fired at the crowd gathered at Metro junction, killing a constable and another bystander. Kasab however said that he did not fire at Metro as a bullet had pierced his left wrist in the ambush in which Karkare and others were killed.

Kasab has not been provided access to television or newspapers as a result of which he is reportedly not aware of his parents being taken away from their house or of Pakistan disowning him. It is learnt that Kasab replied in the negative when security agencies asked him whether he wanted to convey any message to Pakistan.
Get the feeling that this pig will also go the Afzal way....barely a month since the attacks and the sob stories(how he is a ordinary guy, evil people misguided babe in the wood etc) already begin.
Only in India is this possible.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

on the contrary, kasab seems to show sociopathic tendencies and is no innocent
the ISI/LET/AlQ have obviously figured out how to find the sociopaths in the ummah and give them a mission to fulfil instead of serial killing women and/or goats
pradeepe
BRFite
Location: Our culture is different and we cannot live together - who said that?

Post by pradeepe »

Sources said that Kasab now wants to apologise to his mother for his act. When he had gone home for a three-day break in the middle of his training, he had confessed to his mother that he had become a mujahideen. His mother tried hard but in vain to convince him to rethink what he was about to do, sources said. Kasab still believes that his mother will pardon him, as he feels any mother would pray for the well-being of her children.
I am very much against such stories abotu Kasab being penned by the dork media. They are humanizing this piece of scum with talk about his mother and father whatever the context its written in.

This filth murdered Indians. His fellow barbarians murdered more and went about gleefully torturing people which must be so gut wrenching and impossible to fathom that there is no discussion of the details, other than that it was extremely inhumane. Thats saying something in a place like India where disfigured faces of kids killed in any accident would make it the front page, sensitivities of the parents be damned. And this piece of filth, Kasab, had he been allowed before being bravely taken down by the now police would have been the proud owner of such actions.

So dear media, please, no humanizing this piece of filth.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

he will probably be given indian citizenship under the patronage of abu azmi, speak great speeches in certain mosques, wine and dine with the shahi imam, become a MLA, have a film made on his life, join the cong(I) a bit later, get book deals, get free blowjobs from a succession of desi female anchors and lead a cool life in the very city where he killed 30 people.

I see a great future for him.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

While our babus were delivering the severest of blows to the Pakis by handing them a *gasp* dossier, did any reporter ask the hon.babus and netas as to what did India plan to do if the Pakis again stalled/rejected the toilet paper handed to them other than hoping/begging/pleading them to act?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Singha wrote:he will probably be given indian citizenship under the patronage of abu azmi, speak great speeches in certain mosques, wine and dine with the shahi imam, become a MLA, have a film made on his life, join the cong(I) a bit later, get book deals, get free blowjobs from a succession of desi female anchors and lead a cool life in the very city where he killed 30 people.

I see a great future for him.

One female anchor in particular, Bibi Burka who always hugs terrorists (watch your language - JE Menon)
kobe
BRFite

Post by kobe »

again we are discussing little things.

what happens to kasab is tiny compared to what should be done with pakistan.
answer (for the umpteenth time) is: 3rd partition of pakistan.

The main question on everyone's mind should be:
how to go about achieving it.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

kobe wrote: The main question on everyone's mind should be:
how to go about achieving it.
Putting our own house in order. Finding the right people to represent the Indians. Simple. That obviously is the solution to most of the nation's problems. Not easy however. I guess that's where all discussions culminate. :mrgreen:
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Prem wrote:
NRao wrote: Since the Mumbai attack I have been educating myself about "Cold Start". The stuff you are angry about was referred to in most articles. Some 5+ years ago.
Cold Start was superseded by new doctrine called Cold Sardar .
Cold Sardar wont let anything get hot and now it is too late to punish the Bakistan. The element of surprise is gone and now we have to wait for another terrorist attack to repeat the same exercise. The way its going terrorism wont be an issue in upcoming parliament election.
I am numbed by the crass inaction and ineptitude, and dont know if I should laugh or to cry !
skganji
BRFite -Trainee

Post by skganji »

It is strange that the Media is trying to show some human side of Kasab and trying to get Sympathy for him. As many people said, he must be hanged for what he has done with his fellow Jihadis in Mumbai . It is sad that these butchers raped the women victims and killed them brutally .
Congress is the biggest terrorist organization in India . All their nee-jerk reaction steps will not do any good to help stop terrorism in India. India need some radical steps to counter terrorism originated from Pak-Bangla neighbours.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

If they don't have enough in them to punish him then they should hand him over to the Israelis. After all they were his friends who sexually abused the Jews and killed them brutally. Israelis would show the GoI what "retaliation" means.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

the Hamas spokesman on the TV last night (in translation) said words to the effect of the Jews are being attacked for revenge all over the world, I wonder if he was refering to Nariman house? It certainly sounded that way.

Is Hamas connected to LeT? (apart from co-travellers in the global jehad that is)
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

There is no doubt that islamic terrorists all over the globe are connected and be it Hamas/LeT, every organisation is deriving strength at the end from Al Qaeda. Yes I do think what Hamas leader suggested was in context of Bombay.
Abhi_G
BRFite

Post by Abhi_G »

X-posting from the Indic perceptions....

Karkare family is ready to forgive Kasab
She said her family is willing to forgive Kasab, the main accused of Mumbai terror attacks.
"He is only 21 years old and he should be given an opportunity to change his ideology," said the martyr's wife.

http://news.in.msn.com/national/article ... id=1775270

I am speechless. {Avoid speech, keep foot out of mouth}
enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Post by enqyoob »

he should be given an opportunity to change his ideology
But they HAVE given him that opportunity, I hear. He now salutes and says "Jai Hind" every time the jailers come by.

Dog Obedience School 101.
Chandragupta
BRF Oldie

Post by Chandragupta »

{Thanks shiv. Al Broom is in action now.

Chandraguptaji, see my kind advice about sometimes deciding not to post, because those posts then look so much smarter than your other posts. Thx.}
Last edited by enqyoob on 06 Jan 2009 23:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted inappropriate comments about widow of a hero
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Actually, Indians treating kasab like a human being, especially Karkare's wife and daughter will look very good compared to Pakistani/Islamic foaming at the mouth.

I would personally like to see a day when a nuke on Pakistan is greeted with relief and prayers of thanks.

I saw Mrs Karkare's interview on TV. She is a bold lady. Don't grudge her her views.

She said that her husband was against all evil no matter what the source of evil. It seems to give her comfort that her husband died a hero.

Please leave the lady alone and keep your selfish comments to yourselves. She has lost just that much more than you and me.. Could we stop commenting about her?

Thanks
Abhi_G
BRFite

Post by Abhi_G »

There was a story of a murderer dacoit called Angulimaal (who wore a garland of fingers of his victims) whom Gautam Budhdha had reformed by the power of his personality. I think when people talk of forgiveness they tend to think subconsciously about Angulimaal's experience. Little do they realize that it may be possible to reform a criminal murderer but someone who destroys with full support of an ideology and state is a totally different creature. I remember Chanakya's conversation with Ambhi in the serial during the impending invasion by Alexander (available on YouTube). Chanakya called Alexander's army Yavana and was talking about the destruction that he had brought about. Ambhi called Alexander Devaputra who is out to conquer the whole world. Chanakya clearly enunciated that India has had many Devaputras before and their ideological inclinations are not comparable to Alexander. In other words, Alexander's ideology would be totally destructive of the Indic civilization. I think we need to look back at those words of clarity and see the difference between a serial killer (like stone man of Kolkata fame of the late 80s) and a hardened jihadi. Our lives are at stake. No amount of prayer or forgiveness will work unless we generate (we do) crack soldiers selflessly ready to jump into the burning Taj to smoke out these jihadis. These words of abhiG are are an insult to those guys: AbhiG look at the face of the NSG commando smiling humbly and asking for nothing after the job was done. There was no abhimaan in his demeanour and he had the true characteristics of a yogi.
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

Lalmohan wrote: Is Hamas connected to LeT? (apart from co-travellers in the global jehad that is)
One of LeT's founder members is Abdullah Azzam, who also founded Hamas. Hamas chiefs have spoken via phone in LeT rallies before. Azzam was mysteriously assassinated in Peshawar, BTW.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Abhi_G wrote: crack soldiers selflessly ready to jump into the burning Taj to smoke out these jihadis. These words of forgiveness are an insult to those guys: Mrs. Karkare look at the face of the NSG commando smiling humbly and asking for nothing after the job was done.
Have you asked the NSG soldier what he thinks of Mrs Karkare's words. O you who speak so loudly for the NSG commando?

If not, please say that this is what you think. You know what you think. You have heard what Mrs Karkare thinks. You do not know what the NSG commando thinks despite your rhetoric. You are trying to make your view better and more noble than Mrs Karkare's by bringing in a hypothetical external factor. That is unnecessary. But it is decency to leave a bereaved human being to her thoughts. Do not react with anger to the reaction of a bereaved family member lest you end up behaving pretty much like that Kerala minister Achutiyanandan cursing Sandeep Unnikrishnan's family.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

shiv wrote:Actually, Indians treating kasab like a human being, especially Karkare's wife and daughter will look very good compared to Pakistani/Islamic foaming at the mouth.

I would personally like to see a day when a nuke on Pakistan is greeted with relief and prayers of thanks.

I saw Mrs Karkare's interview on TV. She is a bold lady. Don't grudge her her views.

She said that her husband was against all evil no matter what the source of evil. It seems to give her comfort that her husband died a hero.

Please leave the lady alone and keep your selfish comments to yourselves. She has lost just that much more than you and me.. Could we stop commenting about her?

Thanks
Rather well said.
Abhi_G
BRFite

Post by Abhi_G »

Shiv, I do not wish to go into a verbal duel. {Good sense! Congratulations!} I am too small to judge understand that.
JwalaMukhi
BRFite

Post by JwalaMukhi »

These statements are done in a state of emotional trauma and understandable. And as the immediate consequence is to her and she has expressed in her personal capacity what she thinks of the event and is her perogative.
The piglet/s (now has even started hogging limelight with a human sounding name as kasab) attacked the people including mr.karkare when he was on public service.
This assault on the public servant/s (along with rest of public) needs to be dealt with and is hopefully being done. The press has so far just reported the statment.

When FHLs start utilizing this statement from Ms.Karkare as an excuse to let go the piglet or gain sympathy to the piglet, as she herself has pardoned him, then FHLs will be clearly wrong.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Mrs. Karkare is ofcourse right onlee, who are we to question her stand. {Good thinking!}
Last edited by enqyoob on 06 Jan 2009 23:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted sarcasm
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Sorrowing people should not make statements that could be misused. Once statements are made they can be used by anyone. In times of national distress its most unhelpful to make sympathetic statements about perpetrators whther these statements are made by grieving relatives or Union Cabinet minsters.
ManishC
BRFite

Post by ManishC »

IMHO the lady in question just wants the Jehadi scum to focus elsewhere and leave her family alone. Making Jingo statements will only make her an inviting target and serve no useful purpose. Looking at the State's capability and intent only to CYA why take a chance?
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Interesting debates today in Times NOW and CNN-IBN on where is current initiative heading.
G.Parthasarthy seemed very cool and non-plussed(kept smiling throughout the show) and seemed to be sure that bad days are ahead for the Pakis, esp from the Israelis. Wonder if he knows something which he isnt showing to all?

Also, in the CNN-IBN debate, both the netas(Ravi Shankar Prasad and Manu Singhvi) and Sushant Sareen spit fire and all hinted at covert ops being the next plan. However, the show ended with Sagarika's take that the only option remaining for India is to clean up its own mess inside and protect herself from next attacks :-? :roll:
BijuShet
BRFite

Post by BijuShet »

shiv wrote:...
But it is decency to leave a bereaved human being to her thoughts. Do not react with anger to the reaction of a bereaved family member lest you end up behaving pretty much like that Kerala minister Achutiyanandan cursing Sandeep Unnikrishnan's family.
It is not for me to measure the loss suffered by Karkare family. Here are my thoughts on these noble statements being made in public by the Karkare family. Mr. Karkare died in the line of duty and his widow, Mrs. Karkare has every right to an opinion about her husband’s killers. She has been living the life of GoI official's spouse for a very long time so she does know about the impact and reach of her words and opinions expressed on the record for the press. These statements have broad appeal to decent human beings and these words do have an impact on the psyche of an emerging generation. However these Gandhian values will fail against a Nazi or Wahhabi Sunni Islam onslaught. These militant expansionists engage in battles of the real kind and not of the philosophical kind. The tendency of our elders to engage in endless turkh-viturkh instead of action has been lamented by Nobel laurates too. Our next gen will imbibe the same spirit of always making mindless noble statements instead of real action. As I understand tolerating injustice is wrong and when one publicly visible family decided to forgive the killer, they denied justice to the faceless victims who were also butchered by Ajmal Amir Kasab at Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus.
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

sum

GP was on which channel? Thanks
Raj Malhotra
BRFite

Post by Raj Malhotra »

sum wrote:Interesting debates today in Times NOW and CNN-IBN on where is current initiative heading.
G.Parthasarthy seemed very cool and non-plussed(kept smiling throughout the show) and seemed to be sure that bad days are ahead for the Pakis, esp from the Israelis. Wonder if he knows something which he isnt showing to all?

Also, in the CNN-IBN debate, both the netas(Ravi Shankar Prasad and Manu Singhvi) and Sushant Sareen spit fire and all hinted at covert ops being the next plan. However, the show ended with Sagarika's take that the only option remaining for India is to clean up its own mess inside and protect herself from next attacks :-? :roll:

Parasarthy actully named the PN ship which was involved in the Mumbai attack. I did not catch it clearly, did he say "PNS Karachi"
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

Was in PNS Iqbal? It is a base not ship. BTW, guess who brought that to GP's attention? 8)
suneels
BRFite -Trainee

Post by suneels »

Pranay wrote:A couple of observations taking into consideration all that has occurred and is being reported now as posted above--

1) With the present state of affairs - a bunch of guys can easily enter Bombay Harbor in a fishing boat with a dirty bomb and devastate not just Bombay but as a consequence the entire economy of India.

2) All the MRCA's - Scorpenes - T-90 tanks etc etc are useless when 10 uneducated cannon fodder with a year of training can bring Bombay to it's knees. What if instead of the 10 terrorists there were 100???

We need to tackle the basics, not to be brought up after every tragedy but to be tackled proactively, with time bound agendas for implementation.

Without that everything else is a house of cards that will come crumbling down as we have recently witnessed in Bombay.
Agree totally with this! Do it and do it now, or else hoist the white flag instead of the Tiranga on 26 Jan, which is only 20 days away....

Where is you pride Mr. PM? How will you be able to stand at Rajpath and take the salute?

I shudder..... :eek:
Raju

Post by Raju »

Rangudu wrote:Was in PNS Iqbal? It is a base not ship. BTW, guess who brought that to GP's attention? 8)
he said PNS Iqbal.

he also said Americans told him that it is not the work of a common soldier or sailor but needed to be co-ordinated at a very high level involving expertise from someone of the level of "Seals".
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/world ... ml?_r=1&hp

Snippets from the dossier given to Pakistan by India...

Dossier From India Gives New Details of Mumbai Attacks

By SOMINI SENGUPTA
Published: January 6, 2009
NEW DELHI — In the beginning, they were 32. A squad of suicide bombers raised in Pakistan, they were taught how to make bombs, withstand interrogation, and fight to their death.

They were whittled down to 10, and on a Saturday morning in November, they set sail from Karachi with coordinates plotted on a global positioning set. Once in Mumbai, they went on a killing spree, leaving 163 dead, all the while receiving detailed instructions and pep talks from their handlers across the border. Details of their gory mission have been compiled by Indian authorities and officially shared Monday with the Pakistani government. The New York Times has seen a copy of the dossier.

The information seems designed to achieve at least two Indian objectives. First, it seeks to demonstrate that the attackers were sent from Pakistan. It contains photographs of materials found on the fishing trawler, from a bottle of Mountain Dew soda packaged in Karachi to pistols that bore the markings of a gun manufacturer in Peshawar to a Pakistani-made matchbox, detergent powder, and shaving cream, called “Touchme.”

Second, it seeks to rally international support for the Indian effort to squeeze Pakistan. It contains a list of 26 foreigners killed in the attacks, chronicles India’s efforts in recent years to persuade Pakistan to investigate suspects involved in terror attacks inside India and shut down terror training camps inside Pakistani territory. In its final pages, it demands that Pakistan hand over “conspirators” to face trial in India and comply with its promise to stop terrorist groups from functioning inside its territory. It was shared this week with diplomats from friendly nations; one described it as “comprehensive,” another as “convincing.”

Although the dossier takes pains not to blame serving or former officials in Pakistan’s army or spy agency, Indian officials have consistently hinted at their complicity, at least in training the commando-style fighters who carried it out. On Tuesday, the Indian Prime Minister, Manmohan Singh, upped the ante but stopped short of making a direct accusation. “There is enough evidence to show that, given the sophistication and military precision of the attack, it must have had the support of some official agencies in Pakistan,” he said.

Pakistan on Tuesday rejected the Indian allegation. “Scoring points like this will only move us further away from focusing on the very real and present danger of regional and global terrorism,” Sherry Rehman, Pakistan’s Information Minister, said in a statement, according to the Associated Press. “It is our fond resolve to insure that non-state actors to do not use Pakistan’s soil to launch terrorist attack any where in the world.”

Pakistan has said it is examining the information dispatched by India.

The dossier, along with a power-point presentation made to diplomats here, narrates a journey of zeal, foibles and careful planning, one whose blow-by-blow media coverage was followed by handlers, believed to be in Pakistan, and used in turn to caution the gunmen on the ground about the movement of Indian security forces and motivate them to keep fighting.

“Everything is being recorded by the media. Inflict the maximum damage. Keep fighting. Don’t be taken alive,” says a caller to a gunman inside the Oberoi Hotel close to 4 a.m. on the first day of the three-day siege.

“Throw one of two grenades at the Navy and police teams, which are outside,” came one instruction to the gunmen inside the Taj Mahal hotel.

“Keep two magazines and three grenades aside and expend the rest of your ammunition,” went another set of instructions to the attackers inside Nariman House, which housed an Orthodox Jewish center, on the second evening, with a directive to “conclude” the operation the next morning.

The telephone conversations, selected transcripts of which have been compiled in the dossier, chronicle a steady exchange between the attackers in Mumbai and their counselors.

At the Taj, they are asked whether they have set the hotel on fire; one of the attackers says he is preparing a mattress for that purpose. At the Oberoi, one of them asks whether to spare women (“kill them,” comes the terse reply) and Muslims (he is told to release them and kill the rest, all the while keeping the phone line open so their interlocutors can hear the gunfire). At Nariman House, a residential building which housed a Jewish community center, they are told how to damage India’s standing with a key ally, Israel.

“Keep in mind that the hostages are of use only as long as you do not come under fire because of their safety,” a handler, identified only as Wassi, exhorts. “If you are still threatened, then don’t saddle yourself with the burden of the hostages. Immediately kill them.”

“Yes, we shall do accordingly,” the gunman inside Nariman House replies. “God willing.”

“If the hostages are killed, it will spoil relations between India and Israel,” Wassi continues.

According to the investigation, the 10 men boarded a small boat in Karachi at 8 a.m. on Nov. 22, sailed a short distance before boarding a bigger carrier called the Al-Husseini, believed to be owned by Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, a key operative of a banned Pakistan-based terrorist group called Lashkar-e-Taiba. The following day, the 10 men took over an Indian fishing trawler, called the MV Kuber, killed four of its crew members, spared its captain, Amar Singh Solanki, and sailed 550 nautical miles across the Arabian Sea.

Each man had two-hour watch duties on board. Each carried individual weapon packs: a Kalashnikov, a 9-millimeter pistol, ammunition, hand grenades and a bomb, weighing 8 kilograms and containing a military-grade explosive called RDX, steel ball bearings and a timer with instructions inscribed in Urdu.

By 4 p.m. on Nov. 26, the trawler approached the shores of Mumbai. The leader of the crew, identified by Indian investigators as Ismail Khan, 25, from a town called Dera Ismail Khan in the Northwest Frontier Province, contacted their handlers and received instructions. When darkness set in, they killed the captain of the trawler, Mr. Solanki. Then they boarded a motorized dinghy, the engine of which, Indian investigators say, bore marks from a Lahore-based importing company. They reached Mumbai at about 8:30 p.m., and in five teams of two, set upon their targets: the city’s busiest railway station known as Victoria Terminus, a tourist haunt called Café Leopold, the Jewish center in Nariman House, and two luxury hotels, the Taj and Oberoi.

They made one mistake. As they were leaving the fishing trawler, they told their handlers later on the phone, the waves were high and another boat was approaching, which they feared was an Indian Navy ship. They left behind Ismail Khan’s satellite phone; it was recovered by Indian investigators and its photograph included in the dossier. A GPS, also recovered from the trawler suggests they kept a safe distance of at least 60 kilometers from Indian shore until they got closer to Mumbai.

The gunmen seemed to use Indian mobile phones during the course of the attacks. Their counselors, 6 in all, used Voice-Over-Internet-Protocol numbers, including one from an American company called “Callphonex.”

The telephone calls stop, inexplicably, about 24 hours into the attacks.

The last call transcript in the dossier is at 10:26 p.m. on Nov. 27, between a gunman inside Nariman House and his interlocutor. “Brother you have to fight,” says the caller. “This is a matter of the prestige of Islam.”

By the morning of Nov. 29, Indian forces had killed 9 of the fighters.

And then, there was one: the sole survivor, Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, is in the custody of the Mumbai police. His interrogation turned up the most frightening detail. He was part of a cadre of 32 would-be suicide bombers, that was later joined by an additional three men. A team of six went to Indian-administered Kashmir, Mr. Kasab told his interrogators.

Ten were kept in isolation for more than three months, in a house near Karachi, until they were instructed to go to Mumbai.

The dossier says nothing about what happened to the remaining trainees. Whether or where they will strike next remains a mystery.

Richard A. Oppel Jr. contributed reporting from Islamabad, Pakistan.
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

Which channel was GP on? Any video clips available?
bhavin
BRFite

Post by bhavin »

sum wrote:Interesting debates today in Times NOW and CNN-IBN on where is current initiative heading.

FWIW - I am hearing rumors that there is something going to happen in the next 20 - 30 days or so....