Discussion on Indian Epics, Texts, Treatises & Kathas

ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: Discussion on Indian Epics, Texts, Treatises & Kathas

Post by ramana »

AnandK
There's also a vernacular Mahabharata from Ekalavya's perspective and it is quite unflattering, a Draupadi version.... and then there is the Bheel Mahabharata. Hey, I've heard there's a Shakuni version also.
Any synopsis or links? We need all versions to understand human mind...

SwamyG, When I read of Karna I think of Iago in Othello by Shakespeare. Just a villain to wards Pandavas and Arjuna in particular. And keeps Duryodhana in dark about his own failings.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Actually, Bheema is one of the underplayed characters in many mahabharata interpretations. He was a great archer too. In fact, on the day when Arjuna vows to kill Jayadratha by sunset, he single handedly defeats Drona, Duryodhana and Karna (and numerous other warriors). He defeats Karna using his bow, but lets him live because Arjuna had vowed to kill Karna. Later on, another day, Karna disarms Bheema and lets him live as he had promised Kunti he would kill only Arjuna. So first Bhima defeats Karna in archery!

Bhima is also known to understand dharma shastras very well. If one reads Mahabharata, one can see the various arguments that Bhima makes, which is very logical and dharmic.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

^^we had a discussion on this; that there are lots of positvie stories from Karna's perspective too. These interpretations from different point of views are probably an author putting his own spin, his own philosophy, being contrarian or possibly a community associating some characteristics with a particular hero. Do they all agree with the original MB and the emphasis therein?

wrt Bheema - the other vayu-putra Hanuman - is also powerful and knowledgeable in dharma-shastras .. 'gyan gun saagar ..'
Anand K
BRFite

Post by Anand K »

The Bheel Mahabharat is available in bits and pieces all over the internet; but besides the importance of Iravan, Ghatotkacha and Barbarika what is interesting is the take on Abhimanyu.

The Eklavya version was a serialized novel by IIRC a neo-convert Dalit author. A bit mean spirited but indicative of the Kancha Ilaiah type angst and "new horizons". I didn't like the whole theme but I must admit the language was powerful and Ekalvya a highly tragic figure. OTOH the Draupadi version Ini Njaan Urangatte (May I sleep now?) is a quite sincere work.

The Shakuni version is a Bengali(?) novel IIRC.... haven't read it. Remember hearing about this book - how Shakuni tries to secure security and the kingdom for his sister, forced into marriage with a blind Kuru scion, beloved sis all alone amidst palace intrigue and hostile imperialistic Kurus (who had devastated his homeland in wars)... IIRC there is also the Lady Kaede-esque revenge motive for the destruction wreaked in Gandhara.

PS: Not many OLD versions of the Mahabharata like the "thousands of Ramayanas" eh? Most of the works are modern interpretations/novels.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I doubt chidambaram temple is 1000 years old.. of course it was the medivial cholas beautified/added to it, but the nataraja (the original story (shiv ling) existed much before).. only the temple (vimana) and other things were errected by the cholas. the wiki needs serious dating update although deduced data. I hope someone from here can do it.

good relief from supreme court.. but the temple also need proper audits.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/t ... e#comments
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

ramana wrote:AnandK
There's also a vernacular Mahabharata from Ekalavya's perspective and it is quite unflattering, a Draupadi version.... and then there is the Bheel Mahabharata. Hey, I've heard there's a Shakuni version also.
Any synopsis or links? We need all versions to understand human mind...

SwamyG, When I read of Karna I think of Iago in Othello by Shakespeare. Just a villain to wards Pandavas and Arjuna in particular. And keeps Duryodhana in dark about his own failings.
MB is one of all time greatest works that was composed in pieces over centuries. Stories/narratives were infused to teach people values and lessons. To me it is not a historic epic, but a value epic. I have my own doubts if the events happened as described. One should not take these too literally.

Karna, Arjuna and Ekalvya are equally skilled; each enjoyed/paid the price as per their karma/circumstance. I do not recollect any character being flawless in MB; each character can incite feverish discussions. To me Karna is a devoted follower-friend who is paying his gratitude and also getting his revenge against Arjuna.
Nilesh Oak
BRFite

Post by Nilesh Oak »

Latest exploration work by Graham Hancock in Indonesia - Exciting

(Although not a surprise for anyone who has read Valmiki Ramayana or will soon read The Historic Rama-by yours truly)

http://www.grahamhancock.com/forum/Hanc ... zation.php
Nilesh Oak
BRFite

Post by Nilesh Oak »

Kali-Yuga and especially beginning of Kali-Yuga remains a much discussed issue. I have decided to write few articles on it. I will be posting them at the following blog, for those who might be interested.

http://nileshoak.wordpress.com/2014/01/ ... os-part-1/
Nilesh Oak
BRFite

Post by Nilesh Oak »

Friends,

Looking for a copy of 'Mahabharata Nirnayamruta' supposedly a work on Dharamshastra.

This is all I know about this work.

It won't be easy to find but is of crucial importance as it provides enormous evidence for setting not only Mahabharata but also Ramayana timelines on a solid foundation.

TIA
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Is it in Kannada?
Nilesh Oak
BRFite

Post by Nilesh Oak »

^ It does have (supposedly) Sanskrit verses from Mahabharata and then commentary by whoever wrote Mahabharata Nirnayamruta.

It could have been translated in Kannada. My guess is, without knowing much about the book itself, that it could be similar to 'Tika' of Nilakantha Somayyaji on Mahabharata..but may be by another author.
Nilesh Oak
BRFite

Post by Nilesh Oak »

Ramana Garu,

I think you may be looking at 'Mahabharata Tatparya Nirnaya'. I also want to read that when they complete the translation for each verse.

Anyways, came across some interesting verses (that are claimed to be from Mahabharata.. or at a minimum- based on original Mahabharata) that 'very interestingly' corroborates 5561 BCE.

This evidence is not unlike 'Arundhati'. Only someone extra-sensitive and specifically looking for such a thing would notice it.. otherwise it would simply be ignored.

Don't mean to talk in puzzles...but want to ensure its source, authenticity, etc. before commenting/employing these references.
-----------
It boggles my mind that numerous Mahabharata researchers refer to many of these works I am coming across, but did not bother to study them and ended up doing extremely superficial work. Is this all deliberate or driven by capability issues? Hard to fathom. Oh well.
-------
I think of the technology (or rather lack thereof) that likes of Nilakantha Somayyaji, or S B Dikshit or P V Kane had access to. In spite of those limitations, the quality of work done by these greats is AMAZING!
--------
This weekend I had one such 'Ah ha' moment. I had written about my objections to Sayana-Nirayana theory in determining timing of Mahabharata. I sent it to 5+ Indian astronomers for their input. All of them could not even comprehend what I was saying or objecting to. By coincidence, I ran into older works of S B Dikshit and to my pleasant surprise found that he has objected to it (Sayana-Nirayana theory) by showing the same demo I did in my correspondence with contemporary astronomers.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Nilesh, You can download English edition of Tatparya Nirnaya by Prabhanacharya.

What I was looking at was this book seller

http://www.vyasamadhwa.org/aitereya.htm

He has a book:
SriManmahabharata Nirnaya (5 Vol) (Anuvada) 1600 Kannada

We have a member Parsuram whose father wrote quite a few books in Hindi on Mahabharata
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

>> We have a member Parsuram whose father wrote quite a few books in Hindi on Mahabharata

What are those books?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I need to send him a link. His father is a scholar and had written deep discourses in Hindi about Mahabharata.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

No reply from parsuram yet.

JohneeG, Time for a long post by you. I would like you to research the ideas about slavery in the Mahabharata. As far as I recall Arjuna tells Uttara Kumara about the badness of slavery and tells him never to allow it.
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

Ramana garu,
please, no projects, please!(Thatt too slavery!) :(( :(( :(( I have been actually avoiding writing in this thread because it seems very daunting.

Nilesh Oak saar,
sorry for not reply again. I am trying to find a little bit more on the week-issue. PV Kane seems to have said that Bhaaratheeyas followed 60 Nadika system borrowed from Babylonians and 7 week system which was also borrowed by the Bhaaratheeyas from west... a typical westophile indologist.
Nilesh Oak
BRFite

Post by Nilesh Oak »

johneeG wrote: Nilesh Oak saar,
sorry for not reply again. I am trying to find a little bit more on the week-issue. PV Kane seems to have said that Bhaaratheeyas followed 60 Nadika system borrowed from Babylonians and 7 week system which was also borrowed by the Bhaaratheeyas from west... a typical westophile indologist.
JohneeG,

I added some more to the appendix after I sent you the draft. I will send you modified draft. I did find something, this time from Srimad Bhagavatam which brilliantly solves the problems of origin for the division of day into 24 HORA I was looking for.
That was bothering me a lot, since many of the time keeping systems of astronomy treatise (Surya Siddhanta, Aryabhatiya, etc.) were focused on astronomy more than civic time keeping and thus used different systems.

I would love to have your thoughts on that. Will send in few min. via. email
--------
Quick note on P V Kane and few others...

These researchers were very much indic (Tilak, S B Dikshit, Kane, et al) in their thought and soul and logic..but they were forced to work (even today we are forced to work in a similar system..but social media and such has reduced the power of orthodox academia and titles -prof, sir, Raobahaddur, His Excellency and such) in a predominantly western defined paradigm.

While they used assumptions of AIT and stuck to conspiracy/brainwashing theories of Indians borrowing all from Greeks and bayblonians, and what not....they were very original in their work. For most part, their westophilic statements are due to confusion between "Absence of evidence = evidence of absence".

On the other hand, Iravati Karve may present a good illustration (Her Yuganta.. for example) a good style writing.. but based on biased research (or lack thereof ) and based on borrowing of assumptions from all over (Critical edition of Mahabharata, AIT, Horses, civilizations, languages, ) and always borrowing a wrong and most deluded assumption.
Nilesh Oak
BRFite

Post by Nilesh Oak »

JohneeG

BTW, VarahaMihir suggested Sanskrit origin for the word 'HORA' (HORA-shastra), which later on turned to Hour. (likes of Wikipedia and stuff assign origin of HORA to.. you guessed it.. Greeks., but not wondering where did they get it from), by stating that "A" and "tra" were dropped from 'aHORAtra".

It is only a suggestion by him. Good enough for my appendix purposes for now.
Nilesh Oak
BRFite

Post by Nilesh Oak »

JohneeG,

How I reached to the reference of Srimad Bhagavatam is along the lines of mystical experience one gets once in a while.

The reference for lack of division of day in 24 parts (in ancient Indian system) was bothering me since I wrote that draft (Weekdays). Something woke me up at 3:30 AM, as if made me walk to 'Puja' room (where I also have a small library), I sat in front of all 'Devatas', felt like reading something, pulled one book from the shelf (won't mention the name) and opened a random page, that led me to look for a reference in Srimad Bhagavatam. Next I pulled my copy of Srimad Bhagavatam and I was on the kind of reference I was eagerly searching for.

The entire event took less than 30 min. :D

Sorry.. moderators.. OT here (may be relevant for parapsychology thread...
KLP Dubey
BRFite

Post by KLP Dubey »

Nilesh Oak wrote:It could have been translated in Kannada. My guess is, without knowing much about the book itself, that it could be similar to 'Tika' of Nilakantha Somayyaji on Mahabharata..but may be by another author.
Minor quibble: it isn't "Somayya-ji" but "Soma-yAji" (one who has carried out Soma Yajna). Nilakantha was a Rgvedic brahman from KL. However, I do not think Nilakantha wrote any work on Mahabharata. That was by another Somayaji from Andhra.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

abhishek_sharma wrote:>> We have a member Parsuram whose father wrote quite a few books in Hindi on Mahabharata

What are those books?
He is also vanshaj of Shri Guru Teg Bahadur ji.
Nilesh Oak
BRFite

Post by Nilesh Oak »

KLP Dubey wrote:
Nilesh Oak wrote:It could have been translated in Kannada. My guess is, without knowing much about the book itself, that it could be similar to 'Tika' of Nilakantha Somayyaji on Mahabharata..but may be by another author.
Minor quibble: it isn't "Somayya-ji" but "Soma-yAji" (one who has carried out Soma Yajna). Nilakantha was a Rgvedic brahman from KL. However, I do not think Nilakantha wrote any work on Mahabharata. That was by another Somayaji from Andhra.
KLPD ji,

My bad. I think (and I could still be wrong again), Nilkanth Chaturdhar is who wrote 'tika' (commentary) on Mahabharata. Thanks.
KLP Dubey
BRFite

Post by KLP Dubey »

Nilesh Oak wrote:My bad. I think (and I could still be wrong again), Nilkanth Chaturdhar is who wrote 'tika' (commentary) on Mahabharata. Thanks.
Oh OK you are referring to N. Chaturdhara, not N. Somayaji. Yes, Nilakantha Chaturdhara (of Varanasi) is the Sanskrit commentator of Mahabharata. I was confused reading the posts above on translations in vernaculars. I thought you were referring to another Somayaji of Andhra who translated MB into Telugu.

Anyway, Nikakantha Somayaji of KL (distt. Malappuram, now overtaken by "moon"shiners) was a hardcore Vedicist specializing in the vedanga of Jyotish and also mathematics. He has no works on Puranas etc to best of knowledge.
Nilesh Oak
BRFite

Post by Nilesh Oak »

The Historic Rama is here and available from this link

https://www.createspace.com/3566806
----
Amazon.com would take another week, before it is available from that site.

• CreateSpace eStore: Immediately
• Amazon.com: 5-7 Business Days
• Amazon Europe: 5-7 Business Days
• Expanded Distribution channels: 6-8 weeks

I will update as I know more.

Happy Reading.
------
For readers in India,

Work in progress to make it available in India. It will take some time. Stay tuned for updates.
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

Dr. Rajnish Mishra speaks about tradition of Tantra in Indic Civilization. He explains terminology of Tantra for better understanding of its tradition. He says ignorance of specific vocabulary of Tantra has given rise to various misconception. He provides list of various fundamental scriptures associated with Tantra in India. He shares the objective of Tantra and the role they play in achieving higher goal of life. He also equates tradition of Tantra with other sacred tradition of India.

Nilesh Oak
BRFite

Post by Nilesh Oak »

Rony ji,

Thanks for the links to the talks. ( I listended to Talageri, Claude Alvares and N Rajaram so far).
Kati
BRFite

Post by Kati »

jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

How true is this ?
http://ur-destination.blogspot.in/2010/ ... akuni.html
Truth behind "Shakuni"
Since a child i was fascinated by mythology, and who else but my grandma {dad's mom} would tell me all the stories from the past. I used to love watching those black n white mythological movies with her.
Taking 20 mins time from my Haskell assignment :) here i go with one of the stories she had told me.

We all know about Shakuni - symbol for wickedness/slyness. He was known to be cunning and had one thing always in his mind - "Downfall of Krishna".A person who is so smart and intelligent must have had some reason to hate Krishna. This story is all about that. Hope its a good read for you guys!

Dhritharashtra was a wise but a blind king and Ghandhari was his loyal wife who had blindfolded her eyes intentionally. She chose not to see a world which her husband could not see. Ghandhari's astrological signs showed that her first husband would be on his death bed soon and so they got her married to a goat and then they killed the goat. This was a secret known to the Ghandhara family{100 sons + 1 daughter}, to which she belonged to before marriage. A few years laters Dhritharashtra got to know about this and he imprisoned the entire Ghandhara family and the king Subala and his 100 sons and treated them very badly.

Every day only one a handful of rice was given to each of them to eat. As days passed one by one started to die of hunger. King Subala realized that this was not how their dynasty was going to end. By now the amount of anger on Dhritharashtra had quadrupled and so he came up with this plan of every one in prison sacrificing their food and handing it over to one person and make that person strong and be responsible for the downfall of Dhritharashtra . The youngest and wittiest son was Shakuni and everyday all would offer their food to him. He could not bear the sight of his father and brothers dying of hunger everyday.

When Subala realized he had no more energy to survive, he called Dhritharashtra and requested him to be considerate on this poor kid and allow him to be free and also promised that he will always be like a guardian to his sons. (Meanwhile Dhritharashtra had 100 sons and a daughter.) He finally pitied his father-in-law and agreed to this. Subala contented with his reply breathed his last. But before dying he told Shakuni to make use of his thigh/back bone and create a powerful magic dice which spins the requested number. He wanted this to be the reason for the downfall of Dhritharashtra and his dynasty.

Shakuni as promised, was the guardian of the 100 Kaurava sons and being with them he gained their confidence and instilled all wicked thoughts into everyone. He was the responsible for the Kurukshetra war, which he did by provoking Dhuryodhana against the Pandavas which led to the victory of latter thus fulfilling his fathers wish.
Chandragupta
BRF Oldie

Post by Chandragupta »

^ I have also read this quite a number of times on different sources. But can't vouch for the authenticity.
sampat
BRFite

Post by sampat »

I heard that Rishi Dadichi's bones were used to make those dices.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

This same story is told for ChandraGupta Maurya and why he was against Nanda Dynasty. So do not know the authenticity. It is though told that Dhritrastra/Pandu had forces the Gandhra king to marry their daughter to Dhiritrasta and Sakuni had pledged to avenge that.

Hmm and Dadhichi's bone was used by Indra to make Mace to kill Asur Vritira
member_22872
BRFite

Post by member_22872 »

sampat garu, I don't think that is correct, Dadichi's bones were used to make the Vajra-ayudha(?), Indra's weapon. Dadichi is one of the very few men whose sacrifices were unmatched. Not even by Karna. He gives his life so that his bones can be used to make the weapon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dadhichi
sampat
BRFite

Post by sampat »

venug wrote:
sampat garu, I don't think that is correct, Dadichi's bones were used to make the Vajra-ayudha(?), Indra's weapon. Dadichi is one of the very few men whose sacrifices were unmatched. Not even by Karna. He gives his life so that his bones can be used to make the weapon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dadhichi
I might be wrong. But long time ago, I heard about Dadichi Rishi's Katha in Devi Bhagwad Katha narated by sri deen dayaluji maharaj. http://www.swamisridindayaluji.in/audio.php
It is also possible that I am wrongly attributing this story to Swamiji, I might have picked up this online while researching about Dadichi.
From the Hindu mythology. Dadhichi, son of Atharvan, turned into a
great sage. Vritra became the head of the Asuras (demons). He
renounced his dharma – duty – to do good unto others and turned to
violence, battling with the devas. Led by Indra, they approached Lord
Vishnu for help. He told them that Vritra could not be destroyed by
ordinary means, revealing that only a weapon made from the bones of a
sage could slay him. When the deities revealed their doubts about the
likelihood of any ascetic donating his body, Vishnu directed them to
approach the sage Dadhichi. When approached by the gods, Dadhichi
gladly gave up his bones for the cause of the good. The Devas
collected the bones and Indra crafted the Vajrayudha from them and
eventually defeated the Vritrasura. Apart from Indra, there was one
more person who benefited from Sage Dadhichi's bones. Who?

Shakuni. His dice is made of Dadhichi's bones. It is believed that
Shakuni was able to get the number on the dice he wished for.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/qfi ... opics/3906
Nilesh Oak
BRFite

Post by Nilesh Oak »

Accepting Pre-orders. (Please write to Askhar.Bharati@yahoo.com for all order related questions, in India)
——
A team of volunteers is making this possible. Please be patient as they work through the bottlenecks in the system.

gandharva
BRF Oldie

Post by gandharva »

kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

Hindu citizens of India: Stop the Takeover of Hindu temples by the Government - change.org

Posting in full.
Dear Hindu Brethren,
Please read the above news caption wherein a very famous Hanuman temple in Chennai, in a prime locality and run by a private trust, has been taken over by the TN government.
Right from Independence, Hindus have been taken for granted and taken for a ride by successive secular governments.

Hindu Civil code--Hindus Property Succession Act--Hindu Religious Endowments (Constitutionally a Non-Hindu I.A.S officer also can be appointed as the CEO of Hindu Religious Endowments Board!!!!!!).

The original idea was to save the Hindu Temples and property that belonged to Hindu Shrines; hence a Government Body named Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments was established. Who were the culprits, the land grabbers? It was the Hindus themselves.
Many of the people who were entrusted with looking after Temple property instead got temple property written and registered in their names, and looted the Donations and daily collections through Hundis. Most of the Temples have seen broken Hundis when they were managed by a group of people.

The Constitution of India stipulates India to be a secular country, but the Government of India and provincial Governments under the Congress Party, Communist parties or other political parties have been targeting only Hindu temples for government takeover in the name of better management leaving aside all mosques, gurudwaras and churches.

Now the reason for this takeover is the enormous amount of Public money that goes into the Hundis of these temples which become Government property and hence available to the Government treasury for distribution and spending for their popular purposes.

Now read this news caption as well:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 929607.cms

Both the above news captions happened on almost similar timelines.
It is not that there is a direct link between Hindu money and governments’ secular freebies...But somehow, if one can question the funding for these secular programs, ...a connection can be easily made.

Hindu money is being used for secular purpose...and the secularism that is being practised in India is to say the least, “ANTI-HINDU” in its core; which in Essence is the destruction of the Hindu Way of Life and the Hindu dharma (Sanatana Dharma).

For example, annual earnings of the Tirupathi Balaji temple is over Rs 4000 crores, but only about 20 per cent of this amount is reported to be spent on this temple, and the rest i.e. about Rs 3000 crore is diverted every year by the State government of Andhra Pradesh (AP) for non-Hindu purposes, leaving Hindu priests poorly paid and Hindu pilgrims poorly looked after in terms of travel infrastructure, medical, hostel, food service facilities etc.

A classic example is the subsidising of the trips to Bethlehem by the AP govt under YSR Reddy vide a notification, setting aside an amount of Rs. 70 crores for the pilgrimage to Bethlehem for Christians.

Elsewhere in Andhra Pradesh, out of 420,028 acres owned by temples in Vishakhapatnam, Kakinada, Guntur, Kurnool, Warangal, and Hyderabad, 60,843 acres were allowed to be occupied illegally by professional land grabbers. The state government, the inheritor of the responsibility under the HRCE Act to prevent such actions, did nothing to prevent these incursions, even though it has a staff of over 77,000 people (paid from a 15% charge on temple revenues), to look after temple interests.

In August 2005, the state of AP decided to sell 100,000 acres of the Sri Narasimha Swamy Temple in Simhachalam and other nearby temples. On March 14, 2006, the government auctioned 3,000 acres of temple lands in East Godavari district. Proceeds from these sales rarely reach the temples, which have to depend on the same government for doles to light their lamps and pay their priests. 884 acres of endowment lands of the famous Sri Rama temple at Bhadrachalam have been allocated to Christian institutions by the current government. In Simhachalam, 300 acres belonging to the temple have been allocated for churches and convent schools, who even exercise an illegal authority to stop devotees from visiting the temple atop the hill!

However this fund among others should have been used to give better salaries to all Hindu priests attached to temples or freelance priests and for free distribution of religious books like Vedas. Hindu priests offer religious services to Hindu community from birth to death.
Hence when you deprive a servant of the supreme Godhead of a basic means to survive, he is forced to resort to corruption right in front of the sannidhi of the god, thereby making us even more apprehensive to go to the temple, and hence allude to, and agree with the popular media portrayal of corruption in Hindu temples. It is not the greed of the priest but it is his basic need that makes him do what he wants to do.

The Congress Government of Narasimha Rao connived with the Supreme Court and the government advocates under -represented the Hindu public interest before court, with the result that about 50 lakh imams are getting their salaries and perks from the Government of India and provincial governments, through the facade of Wakf boards right from 1994 (1993 AIR 2086, All India Imams Organisation vrs Union of India, May 13, 1993).
No Muslim country in the world pays any Haj subsidy to Muslim pilgrims but the Government of India pays subsidy to the tune of Rs 800 crores a year. It is totally communal and retrograde. No priest should get salaries from the government or all priests from every religion should get salaries from the government
Since government is paying salaries to all Muslim Imams through wakf boards, it is fair and equitable to pay salaries to all Hindu priests belonging to any caste or gender, whether attached to any temple or not
(freelance priests).

Similarly,is the situation in Tamil Nadu (TN), which has been alternately ruled by two Dravidian parties, DMK and AIADMK, both of which are anti-‘Hindu God’ parties, but both of which have been unanimous in controlling all Hindu temples through the Hindu Religious and Charitable endowment Department.
The DMK Government even tried to exclude this department from Right to Information Act to cover up mismanagement, plunder and loot. It is reported that the Karunanidhi Government swindled about 200 kg gold in gold plating of vimanas and ‘golden chariot’ schemes in various temples. The theft of the centuries old Panchaloha Idols by this DMK govt reached its highest during 2006-2011, when more than 3000 idols were stolen from temples across TN.

Thousands of small and medium temples (in addition to nationally and historically important temples such as Jagannath in Puri, Tirupati, Kashi Vishwanath, Vaishno Devi, Shirdi, Guruvayoor, Chamundi Devi, Dattapeeth, Kali Mandir of Patiala, Amarnath, Badrinath and Kedarnath), are already under government control and have been so for decades in many of these cases.

The attack on Hindu temples is an attack on the body and soul of Hinduism, because
temples are the sacred and sanctified places where most Hindus practice their faith. Others may not understand our ways of worship, but to the practicing Hindu all deities represent the One Supreme Reality or Being in diverse ways and forms, that make the divine accessible to all levels of religious and spiritual temperaments.

The images of our gods and goddesses are not just stone or metal idols. They are profound symbols and splendorous representations of the One in its many manifestations. They are holy reminders of the divine being everywhere, they are aids to meditation and worship, and they are also ceremonially sanctified centres of spiritual energy and divine grace.

Our priests should not be reduced to the status of government servants who have to depend on miserly salaries from the state, that has usurped their traditional means of sustenance, and who are thereby forced to demand money sometimes aggressively, from devotees. Our Acharyas should not be sidelined to being helpless observers even as the institutions they are vested with leading are being reduced to insolvency.

The need of the hour is the enactment of a Uniform Central Law providing for religious boards elected by Hindus, so that Hindu temples could be liberated from clutches of secular governments and given independence of administration, and powers over the public funds generated via the Hundi. Also the need is for privatisation of the temples and recovery of the lands and assets that originally belonged to such temples.

Please remember the viability of Hinduism rests in the health and vitality of our temples. The reverse discrimination against Hindus and our institutions by a supposedly secular government cannot be allowed to continue any more.

Please sign this petition after reading this, to openly protest against the taking over of Hindu temples by the governments and to show your support for privatisation of the Hindu temples, so that they can be run by learned scholars and prominent men of the Hindu society.
Nilesh Oak
BRFite

Post by Nilesh Oak »

For those who are in India...

Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Shakuni got his father's blessings on his game and cheated using that. The story is bones etc is a movie creation in Telugu also. Has no mention in the MB main text which I have read.
Adrija
BRFite

Post by Adrija »

The story of bones is about Sage Dadhichi - he gave up his life so Indra could fashion the trishul (vajrayudha)from his spinal cord to kill Vritasura

It is also reflected in the Param Vir Chakra medallion- signifying self-sacrifice for a great cause

The medallion was designed by a foreigner IIRC....