Indian Armed Forces Academies

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Armed Forces Academies

Post by RayC »

Amya,

There is a great future for cmptr science graduates in the armed forces.

Good that you have joined.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Re:

Post by RayC »

Amya wrote:Hello,

I have been recommended for the SSC(NT)-86 course starting October, 2007. Thanks to all those who wished me to get through. I wish to live upto the huge expectations. Looking forward to join the Academy.

Lt Ben,
Sir, Any tips you have for me, like the do's and dont's before/after joining the academy are most welcome.

Thanks,
Amit
Just remember that the slogan of - Take it and Look Busy - is not followed!

Remember you are watched by the Instructors all the time and when you become an officer, you are watched by your men all the time!
Gauravga
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Gauravga »

hi all ..congrats to all those who made it to ARMY..i just cleared my ssb interview from 21 ssb bhopal ..waiting for the merit list to come ...do anyone of you have any approx idea when does it comes out ...
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Just received my call up letter for the territorial army commission test and Preliminary Interview Board. Excited, and a little bit nervous. This is only the first step. If I clear this business, I get to go on to the Services Selection Board and a Medical. Any forum members in the TA? Anyone have any tips? Anyone been through this before?

RayC sir, any tips? Any other forum members?
skher
BRFite

Re: Indian Armed Forces Academies helping a friend

Post by skher »

Sirs,

one of my friends is very interested to enlist as a Short Service Commission officer in the EME Corps.(as he's interested in Telecom/embedded systems R&D,amongst other things) via the Direct Entry scheme for Technical Graduate Candidates(TGC).

We tried hard and looked at various websites for information but were not able to answer/confirm the following queries regarding his recruitment (it's quite a mouthful and recruitment chaps didn't write back after the auto-send reply):-

a.Is 6/6 vision corrected by spectacles(if so,till what power,cylinderical?) allowed for SSC Technical cadet?What is the maximum weight for 5 feet 10 inches?

b.Remuneration parity and growth potential vis-a-vis corporate sector(infotech)?

c.Opportunities for R&D/liasioning/Trainership

d.Post-SSC scenario..would prospects be better after 5 years service than continuing in an infotech company and climbing corporate ladder?Self-employment benefits?

e.What all does an EME officer do...main responsibility....can he contribute positively towards national projects like Arjun,Radars etc.

Would be very grateful if you could help in any way.... direct answer,links,email info.
etc.

This is one proselytization unlike others,if successful,will always bind and strengthen our country.

skher
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

For an electronics/embedded systems/telecom enthusiast, probably the Corps of Signals is better than the EME. Signals officers work on microelectronics, comm eqpt, VHF, UHF, trunking systems, intranet, and almost all kinds of large scale comm projects.

1. To answer your question, financially, he would probably be better off after five years in the corp sector, even with current pay commission. Government salaries never keep up with civilian ones.

2. Esoterically speaking, there are a lot of benefits to military service. Esprit-de-corps, camaraderie, and the cachet of being a government officer. Unlike in civilian service, even the freshest Lt is an officer, and in that sense, already a boss, unlike in the corp sector, where one is a grunt. Especially these days. And if youve never seen army housing, some of it is awful, while some is truly magnificent. A colonel with his bn, a brig with his bde, a major general posted at a division, all can have a house several acres in size.

3. Lots of other benefits, opportunity for adventure sports, management of multi-crore projects, involvement in decisions of national importance at higher levels, army clubs, fast track memberships at civilian clubs such as Delhi Gymkhana, DGC, etc. The style is completely different from the civvy world. Government officers all get used to being bigshots in a way that civvies can never experience.
skher
BRFite

Post by skher »

Earnestly grateful for your prompt reply.
However,after reading your reply my friend changed his direction a bit.....he finds focusing on DRDO Junior Fellowship research/teaching a far better proposition....it's easier,more exciting and without the hush-hush operation of Signals.

Well,to each his own.

Just for my own curiosity, there's always a possibility of shifting a few gears within the establishment,right? That's public service's biggest attraction...you're boss of your growth opportunities.
It's good to hear that the ol' military estates perk is around....this is one lasting perk which is uniquely for Armed Forces in Indian context.
And most people who get it have duly earned through sweat,blood and cold blue steel.
vipins
BRFite

Post by vipins »

sirs,
i have a doubt regarding DRDO interview for scientist B post..would there be any
benefit during interview if i have interest in military techs or weapon systems etc??
like some ques were there related to weapon systems in written exam.

any other suggestions regarding interview are most most welcome... thanks in advance.
sonam_kapadia
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sonam_kapadia »

Some pictures of the OTA Martyr's hut. I have this on Video as well but not sure how to put it up. The Video was taken the day my brother Lt. Nawang Kapadia graduated on Sept 2, 2000. I am not sure if it has changed from then.

The last time, I was there 2 years ago, there were a few new hostels being put up for a increased intake

http://www.nawang.com/ota_memorial.htm

Regards

Sonam
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

sonam, welcome to BRF.

How big is the video which you are referring to ? You can upload video upto a GB on youtube, or you can upload videos to google videos if you have a google account.

You can also consider uploading it to rapidshare from where it can be picked up and uploaded to the above mentioned sites.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

vips wrote:sirs,
i have a doubt regarding DRDO interview for scientist B post..would there be any
benefit during interview if i have interest in military techs or weapon systems etc??
like some ques were there related to weapon systems in written exam.

any other suggestions regarding interview are most most welcome... thanks in advance.
From whatever I have heard about the DRDO interview and the exam pattern , it is very similar to GATE , however interview questions might include practical references to Military hardware but again I am sure an individual with Engg acumen should be able to answer those.
Jaeger
BRFite

Post by Jaeger »

To all gurus, a query:

A friend of mine has an interview with the SSB scheduled, he has a few questions that he needs answers to. I will ctrl-v the note he sent me below:

SSB INTERVIEW

Appeared: CDS Exam, October, 2008
SSB Interview: May 9th, 2009
Place: Bangalore
Current Occupation: Agricultural Business Management at University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore.

Query:
• Can I take the SSB interview and, if I get through, join after completion of my course? The course finishes in June, 2010.
• Can I postpone my SSB interview till I finish my degree?
• Are there any other options with regard to the same? Or will I have to retake the CDS exam?
Would appreciate it if those who know can help my friend out.

Thanks.
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

Jaeger wrote:To all gurus, a query:

A friend of mine has an interview with the SSB scheduled, he has a few questions that he needs answers to. I will ctrl-v the note he sent me below:

SSB INTERVIEW

Appeared: CDS Exam, October, 2008
SSB Interview: May 9th, 2009
Place: Bangalore
Current Occupation: Agricultural Business Management at University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore.

Query:
• Can I take the SSB interview and, if I get through, join after completion of my course? The course finishes in June, 2010.
• Can I postpone my SSB interview till I finish my degree?
• Are there any other options with regard to the same? Or will I have to retake the CDS exam?
Would appreciate it if those who know can help my friend out.

Thanks.
I remember the Army being very unsympathetic and strict wrt any requests for rescheduling. I had a CDS SSB call to which I could not appear, and unexpectedly, I was issued an OTA call 5 months later.

Wrt Joining the course after completing degree... I dont believe that the joining dates are at all flexible.
Jaeger
BRFite

Post by Jaeger »

Rishi wrote:I remember the Army being very unsympathetic and strict wrt any requests for rescheduling. I had a CDS SSB call to which I could not appear, and unexpectedly, I was issued an OTA call 5 months later.

Wrt Joining the course after completing degree... I dont believe that the joining dates are at all flexible.
Thanks Rishi. Is there any person/official my friend can contact in the SSB WRT to the same?

How did you get an OTA call without SSB? Was it because of specific qualifications you may have?

Hope these are not silly questions...
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

Jaeger wrote:
Rishi wrote:I remember the Army being very unsympathetic and strict wrt any requests for rescheduling. I had a CDS SSB call to which I could not appear, and unexpectedly, I was issued an OTA call 5 months later.

Thanks Rishi. Is there any person/official my friend can contact in the SSB WRT to the same?

How did you get an OTA call without SSB? Was it because of specific qualifications you may have?

Hope these are not silly questions...
I meant OTA SSB call :) On the CDS form, one has to mention the academies one is interested in. For doubts/requests etc., one has to call up Army HQ in RK Puram, Delhi.
Jaeger
BRFite

Post by Jaeger »

:oops: OK! Was not aware of the modalities of the whole thing... Have passed on the info to my friend, he is also checking with his college whether he can move his course around.

BTW, he is one of those whose decision to apply for the Armed Forces has been influenced by the recession! So there are two sides to the coin after all! :mrgreen:

Thanks a lot for your patience - he was going to send a mail to the SSB, but I assured him that here on BR accurate and speedy responses are assured! :D
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Re: Re:

Post by ks_sachin »

RayC wrote:
Amya wrote:Hello,

I have been recommended for the SSC(NT)-86 course starting October, 2007. Thanks to all those who wished me to get through. I wish to live upto the huge expectations. Looking forward to join the Academy.

Lt Ben,
Sir, Any tips you have for me, like the do's and dont's before/after joining the academy are most welcome.

Thanks,
Amit
Just remember that the slogan of - Take it and Look Busy - is not followed!

Remember you are watched by the Instructors all the time and when you become an officer, you are watched by your men all the time!
Amen to the Above ----

Get to know your men...
Get their loyalty and give them yours...

---Opt for the Infantry... :)
---Opt for the DOgras... 8)
Vikas Swarup
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vikas Swarup »

Hi
I am very interested to join the Indian Army as an infantry officer. But the most recent CDSE held in Feb 2009 was the last exam for which I was eligible due to age limits. Unfortunately, I did not sit for it.

Is there any plan to increase the maximum age limit for OTA in CDSE (II) 2009?
OR
Is any kind of relaxation provided wrt maximum age limits for CDSE?

Could you please help me out asap??!!!
Thanks
Last edited by Gerard on 11 Apr 2009 02:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: username changed to conform with forum guidelines
Shubham
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shubham »

In this thread I Read about Gold Medal for the standing First in Order of Merit and the Sword of Honour to the Best All Rounder cadet.

Can somebody throw more light on the "best all rounder" , what does it encompasses ?
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Vikas Swarup wrote:Hi
I am very interested to join the Indian Army as an infantry officer. But the most recent CDSE held in Feb 2009 was the last exam for which I was eligible due to age limits. Unfortunately, I did not sit for it.

Is there any plan to increase the maximum age limit for OTA in CDSE (II) 2009?
OR
Is any kind of relaxation provided wrt maximum age limits for CDSE?

Could you please help me out asap??!!!
Thanks
1) No.

And

2) No.

If you have the qualifications, you can try for Army Edn Corps, JAG corps, etc, which have higher age limits, or else, you can try for Territorial Army Commission.