Military Flight Safety

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Re: Military Flight Safety

Post by tsarkar »

^^ Flying Instructor's School, this is where Instructors are trained. More here http://indianairforce.nic.in/show_page.php?pg_id=140
rajkumar
BRFite

Post by rajkumar »

http://tkstales.wordpress.com/2011/11/0 ... rthigeyan/

Read the above about the investigation process in the IAF. Wonderful read
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

Breaking: IAF Mirage crashes in MP, both pilots eject safely.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

damn it, the one thread that i dont want to see surface surfaces again. Thank god the pilots are safe. Pray they are no casualties on the ground
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

Dang!!
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/mirag ... fe/916206/
A Mirage 2000 fighter aircraft of the Indian Air Force (IAF) on Friday crashed near Bhind in Madhya Pradesh soon after taking off from an air base in Gwalior but both the pilots managed to eject.

The Mirage 2000 aircraft was on a routine training sortie when it developed a snag in the engine and crashed near Bhind district, an IAF spokesperson said.

He said the two pilots in the aircraft had managed to eject and search and rescue operations have been launched to locate them.

The IAF has ordered a court of inquiry (CoI) to ascertain the reasons behind the crash.

The Air Force operates a fleet of 51 Mirage aircraft from the Maharajpura air base in Gwalior.

These aircraft started getting inducted into the IAF in the mid-80s and have had a very good flight safety record, the spokesperson said.

The IAF has also recently signed two deals worth over $ 3.2 billion for upgrading the capabilities of the Mirage 2000 with French companies Dassault, Thales and MBDA.

This is the second crash involving an IAF aircraft this year. A Kiran MK II trainer plane had crashed in Chennai on January 30.

In this financial year, this is the eighth crash of a fighter aircraft
:evil: :( of which most were from the MiG 21 series.
Update:
Update on the Mirage crash:
The two missing pilots have been found. Wing Commander Ram Kumar and co-pilot Air Marshal Anil Chopra ejected safely. The aircraft crashed near Bhind in MP.
Thanks God :) pilots are safe. But still whaat is going on. Its like taking turns: su 30-->jaguar-->mig 29-->mirage ?? :( :cry:
Last edited by SagarAg on 24 Feb 2012 14:52, edited 2 times in total.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

SagarAg wrote:

The two missing pilots have been found. Wing Commander Ram Kumar and co-pilot Air Marshal Anil Chopra ejected safely. The aircraft crashed near Bhind in MP.

Air MARSHAL???? :shock:
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

^^ Got it from rediff LIVE feeds. Can't comment on its authenticity. I myself was also shocked seeing it. :shock:
Here is the link:
http://news.rediff.com/commentary/2012/ ... tes.htm?36
Check the feed at 14:01.

Here is a little info on him by Tarmak007:
http://tarmak007.blogspot.com/2010/06/a ... o-sac.html
and at BR database:
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Database/13368
Last edited by SagarAg on 24 Feb 2012 14:54, edited 2 times in total.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Hooo boy.... some heads are gonna ROLL!

Like this: :rotfl:
rajeshks
BRFite

Post by rajeshks »

ASPuar wrote:Hooo boy.... some heads are gonna ROLL!

Will this ejection affect his medical category and there by career/promotions?
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

rajeshks wrote:[

Will this ejection affect his medical category and there by career/promotions?
Not at this advanced stage of his career - but thats a pretty senior rank to eject.. cant think of any earlier
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

ASPuar wrote:Hooo boy.... some heads are gonna ROLL!

Why? It's not funny is it?
Ganesh_S
BRFite

Post by Ganesh_S »

It might be useful to know if the variety of aircrafts IAF operates has any implications on crash rates. perhaps there might be a concern for maintanaince infrastructure in the sense that valuable inputs following a crash investigation may not be effectively applied across different types of aircrafts.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

One more story from Hindu

Mirage 2000 crash in MP
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Good thing the pilots (and they are seniors too) are safe. Now this makes me wonder, and I've always sort of thought - the Mirage 2000 engines (M53-p2?) are getting rather old - are they also going to be upgraded in the upgrade deal? Can engines have such long lives or are new replacements being considered?
VikramS
BRFite

Post by VikramS »

AM Chopra is going to be turning 60 soon. I do wonder why was he was flying a fighter...
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Cain Marko wrote:Good thing the pilots (and they are seniors too) are safe. Now this makes me wonder, and I've always sort of thought - the Mirage 2000 engines (M53-p2?) are getting rather old - are they also going to be upgraded in the upgrade deal? Can engines have such long lives or are new replacements being considered?
The current upgrade deal does not deal with the engines AFAIK. I was wondering about it too. The Mig-29s were bought around the same time and they are getting their engines replaced.
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

VikramS wrote:AM Chopra is going to be turning 60 soon. I do wonder why was he was flying a fighter...
Vikram ji check the news feed by Ramana Saar:
Being the commandant of the squadron, it is a tradition to fly a sortie when on a visit as a morale booster,” a senior IAF officer said.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

ramana wrote:One more story from Hindu

Mirage 2000 crash in MP
IAF officials said that it was for the first time that a Mirage 2000 suffered engine failure since the induction of the aircraft
This is not true. One was lost during an exercise with Singaporean air-force. I think that was engine failure too.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Read this
They were picked up by a SAR helicopter shortly thereafter and transferred to the military hospital in Gwalior.
from

http://www.livefist.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... oomed.html

There was so much R&Dh over why our SAR equipped aircraft are incapable of picking up wreckages in the Himalayas or YSR's helicopter. Well - here is one success & a crucial one at that (the pilots needed to be found fairly quickly in case they were injured).
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

^^This SAR stands for "Search and Rescue" not "Synthetic Aperture Radar".
parshuram
BRFite

Post by parshuram »

NDTV reporting crash of Mirage 2000 in Rajasthan ...

Link
Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

Yes, parshuram ji. Shiv says fleet grounded on his livefist twitter feed.
IAF grounds entire Mirage 2000 fighter fleet pending investigation into the two crashes on Feb 25 and today. Standard procedure.
Now, what are we left with - 49 mirages?
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Praying for pilot
Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

suryag wrote:Praying for pilot
suryag ji,

The pilot(s) are reported to have ejected safely.

IAF Mirage Crashes, 2nd in 2 Weeks
Last edited by Roperia on 05 Mar 2012 14:05, edited 1 time in total.
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

suryag wrote:Praying for pilot
Ejected safely.

Mirage 2000 crashes
Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

IAF Mirage-2000 that crashed today was a trainer too. Engine flame-out at 16,000 feet. Both pilots eject safely.
livefist twitter feed.

Engine problem! :evil:
Nihat
BRFite

Post by Nihat »

Hope the pilots are safe, even ejections are known to cause health problems.
haryanvi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by haryanvi »

Any idea if the Mirage upgrade cost will come down given that now only 49 planes have to be upgraded instead of 51?
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Good to hear Pilots are safe, I hope they are without injuries, as ejection injuries can be very serious.

ON anther note I think these crashes might mean some more Rafales ordered.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

Thanks God Pilot(s) are safe. :)
Chacko ji you are saying it was a single seater. On twitter feed Shiv has given names of two pilots who ejected safely :?: :shock:
anand_sankar
BRFite

Post by anand_sankar »

We've been lucky the engines have cut-out in what looks like level flight at a safe altitude. Things could have been a lot worse if it happened during low-level flying or air combat exercises.

The pilots have had time to plan the ejection, that in itself reduces the risk of serious injury by a large extent. Still, it is always risky to light a rocket under your butt!
Badar
BRFite

Post by Badar »

Didn't take too long ... "Mirage dubbed the new coffins"
http://chhindits.blogspot.in/2012/03/mi ... ffins.html

For once, Dassault will be desperate to do whatever it can to ensure no further crashes. Otherwise at this rate the M2K upgrade order will be getting steadily smaller.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

SagarAg wrote:Thanks God Pilot(s) are safe. :)
Chacko ji you are saying it was a single seater. On twitter feed Shiv has given names of two pilots who ejected safely :?: :shock:
it is twin seat. I did the story when it was evolving. I have updated it.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

^^ these birds never had an issue and out of the blue they start falling due to engine problems?

And DDM started calling them flying coffin.. wow?

[OT] Spy cells in my brain tells me that before the MMRCA deal is signed people will do anything to prove that French are not worth it.
saps
BRFite -Trainee

Post by saps »

Sincerely hope.....Hotel Alpha Lima's hand in servicing these birds is not the issue.....
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

guys, cut out the stupid speculation already !

aircrafts malfunction and when they do they crash. fighters crash more often than civilian aircraft and old fighters crash even more. if there's a problem with HAL/IAF/[insert speculation here] it would be discovered in the CoI.

and no, this isn't the first time mirages have crashed. they had a similar spate of crashes in mid 2000's, at least one of which was due to engine malfunction. I remember a pilot named gururani died in one crash. he was the son of a retd AM. but the fact remains that we have operated the M2k for over 2 decades with a rather good safety record. kindly hold your horses before blaming all and sundry.

don't post anything just because you can.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Badar wrote:Didn't take too long ... "Mirage dubbed the new coffins"
http://chhindits.blogspot.in/2012/03/mi ... ffins.html
Amazing! Two quick crashes was all it took. Despite the fact that no pilots were killed.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Rahul M wrote:guys, cut out the stupid speculation already !

aircrafts malfunction and when they do they crash. fighters crash more often than civilian aircraft and old fighters crash even more. if there's a problem with HAL/IAF/[insert speculation here] it would be discovered in the CoI.

and no, this isn't the first time mirages have crashed. they had a similar spate of crashes in mid 2000's, at least one of which was due to engine malfunction. I remember a pilot named gururani died in one crash. he was the son of a retd AM. but the fact remains that we have operated the M2k for over 2 decades with a rather good safety record. kindly hold your horses before blaming all and sundry.

don't post anything just because you can.
Sqd Ldr Gururani crashed due to spatial disorientation during a night sortie, not due to engine trouble.

Now that the IAF has lost 2 Mirage-2000THs (I hope these aren't from the batch of 6 THs that were delivered to the IAF from 2003 onwards), the training of pilots on the remaining twin seaters will become even more tight and availability will definitely be affected. Perhaps the new simulators for the Mirages will help reduce some burden on the twin seaters for training, but I still do hope that whenever UAE's deal with France for the Rafales comes through, maybe India could purchase a few of their twin seaters for conversion and concurrency training.

Either that, or the IAF could buy a few of the AdlA Mirage-2000Ds primarily for replacing the twin seaters that have been lost. The older Mirage-2000Bs may have very little life left since they're due to retire in 2014.