Military Flight Safety

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Re: Military Flight Safety

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^Yes, 500+ LCA are needed desperately. It's better than losing pilots. All the Mig-21s should be quickly phased out.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

Hopefully maneuvers/tactics learnt on Mig21 are retained for its effectiveness, if not improvised/adopted as per features of LCA.
member_23675
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_23675 »

Being a newbie, I'd like to contribute my 2 cents wth all humility... This Mig-21 crash seems a little different from all the recent Mig-21 crashes as most crashes happened while taking off (the previous crash at the same AFB) or pulling out of a dive or while executing tight maneuvers at low level. This crash during landing may 've many causes ranging from bird hit to an emergency-landing-went-awry, but certainly circumstances seem different than most of the recent bison crashes.

On a different note...a crash while landing has a "multiplier" shock effect as it happens in front of the squadron mates and the ground crew...it does take a lot of courage to put that behind and resume "routine" flying schedule by the squadron...Salute to these gallant air warriors!
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Someone on BR had posted a bloglink where they were tracking IAF Accidents for the past couple of years. can anyone point me to that? Need to cross check my lists.
pragnya
BRFite

Post by pragnya »

Jagan wrote:Someone on BR had posted a bloglink where they were tracking IAF Accidents for the past couple of years. can anyone point me to that? Need to cross check my lists.

i remember posting it long back. it was an east european guy (polish, i guess) who maintained that site. unfortunately i am unable to locate among my posts. will give it a try and hopefully find for you.
pragnya
BRFite

Post by pragnya »

Jagan wrote:Someone on BR had posted a bloglink where they were tracking IAF Accidents for the past couple of years. can anyone point me to that? Need to cross check my lists.
pragnya wrote:

i remember posting it long back. it was an east european guy (polish, i guess) who maintained that site. unfortunately i am unable to locate among my posts. will give it a try and hopefully find for you.
sorry jagan sir. i pointed wrongly in my above post. it was wrt the SU 30MKI inducted in IAF.

the site maintaining crashes is http://www.ejection-history.org.uk/Airc ... _india.htm but it acknowledges your own contribution to the site. hence this may not be the one you are looking for.

this may need registration. there are links to year wise crashes. i have not read those.

apologies. :roll:
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Pragnya, I was not looking for the ejectionhistory site (Which i know) but another site - I remember it is a desi mil blogger - I thought it was aame.in but I could not find anything there.... thanks for links though..
pragnya
BRFite

Post by pragnya »

Jagan wrote:Pragnya, I was not looking for the ejectionhistory site (Which i know) but another site - I remember it is a desi mil blogger - I thought it was aame.in but I could not find anything there.... thanks for links though..
check this.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Thanks Pragnya..

But I found the links I was looking for it was Pratik Sawardekar

http://blogs.defenceaviation.com/aoa/in ... -2011.html

http://angle-of-attack.blogspot.com/201 ... -2010.html (This has a re-direct enabled on the page - so one has to hit STOP )
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

MiG-29 crashes in Gujarat, pilot ejects safely

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/mig-2 ... herstories
Eric Leiderman
BRFite

Post by Eric Leiderman »

http://www.rediff.com/news/report/mig-2 ... 131108.htm

Mig 29 crash no loss of life.
This is old news however:-
How are we taking care of this attrition plans to supplement the crashed aircraft?
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Just saw this tweet of Shiv & went over to read the entire story.
Wow! Heartbreaking stuff, how much of that is true¿ Pretty much all of it I guess?
@ShivAroor: Here's how this Govt treats an IAF pilot who stayed long enough in his doomed MiG-21 to save a village on ground. | http://t.co/u6gCXnt0cX
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

It is mostly true unfortunately. But I dont think it is too government dependent. Its our system and complete bureaucrtaic apathy and sometimes even intense dislike for the forces. There is a pilot in the Parapalegic Centre in Pune who had a similar story. He gets zero support form the govt. But this govt is certainly the worst of the worse.

Col Jyoti the Director of the Centre does all he can but finds it very difficult to raise funds. He is getting on a bit too. They are doing a fantastic job. They were kind enough to honour me with an invitation to be the Chief Guest at Republic Day Celebration a few years ago. Crisp slautes, Flag hoisting, basketball all in wheel chairs and I can assure you they played like men possessed. Very very uplifting and also saddening that there is virtually no govt help.

If some of you can visit and help please do. This is the only institution of its kind in India and is bursting at the seams.
joygoswami
BRFite

Post by joygoswami »

IAF Jaguar crashes while landing in Rajasthan. :( Both pilots are safe thankfully.

LINK
sattili
BRFite

Post by sattili »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:Col Jyoti the Director of the Centre does all he can but finds it very difficult to raise funds. He is getting on a bit too. They are doing a fantastic job. They were kind enough to honour me with an invitation to be the Chief Guest at Republic Day Celebration a few years ago. Crisp slautes, Flag hoisting, basketball all in wheel chairs and I can assure you they played like men possessed. Very very uplifting and also saddening that there is virtually no govt help.

If some of you can visit and help please do. This is the only institution of its kind in India and is bursting at the seams.
Its heartening to know efforts made by this center. I think we should get the news about such organizations spread widely. Do let me know in what ways an individual like me could help this organization, whom I can contact for more information etc.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

joygoswami wrote:IAF Jaguar crashes while landing in Rajasthan. :( Both pilots are safe thankfully.

LINK
Has there been any other information on whether this was one of the recently acquired ones or older ones?
Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

joygoswami wrote:IAF Jaguar crashes while landing in Rajasthan. :( Both pilots are safe thankfully.

LINK
thank fully both pilots were able to bail-out and are safe.
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

x post from LCH and other Helicopters Discussion Thread-
Ajit.C
BRFite

Post by Ajit.C »

2 near-misses by IAF jets in one day
The writer has posted comments on this articleTNN | Feb 25, 2014, 02.36 AM IST
from Times of India
NEW DELHI: An IAF fighter being scrambled to intercept an unidentified flying object (UFO) coming from Pakistan and breaching its assigned flying level, and another military aircraft trying to land on a closed runway, both on the same day, had civilian aviation authorities screaming "near-misses" earlier this month.

In the more serious incident on February 20, a Sukhoi-30MKI fighter apparently breached its assigned flying level to come dangerously close to two passenger aircraft but still could not be contacted by the ATC to correct its course. Fortunately, a tragedy was averted with the passenger aircraft successfully staying clear of the Sukhoi.

"The civilian air traffic control had assigned this aircraft flying level of 22,000 feet. The aircraft instead went way higher and went to 35,600 feet. This level and the adjoining level was assigned to two international airliners, one of Thai, other KAR Airways," said a highly-placed aviation official.

IAF, however, said the Sukhoi had been scrambled to intercept a UFO which was detected moving towards the international border with Pakistan near Amritsar. "The UFO later turned out to be a weather balloon adrift. There was no near-miss," said an IAF officer.

But civilian authorities maintained that the Sukhoi, while wrongly ascending in the Amritsar airspace, breached the minimum vertical safety level with the two civilian aircraft which, between them were carrying over 500 passengers. Instead of the minimum 1,000-feet separation, the Sukhoi was just 700 feet away from the planes while wrongly zooming up the stratosphere.

During these hair-raising moments, the ATC frantically tried to contact the Sukhoi but could not establish contact with the pilot. But the scarier bit came when the plane landed in Ambala. "We were told that the defence authorities asked the pilot as to what happened and why did he deviate from his assigned level. And the pilot reportedly told the authorities that his aircraft's altitude measuring machine (altimeter) was not working," said the official.

The other incident took place when an IAF AN-32 transport aircraft came close to wrecking havoc on other aircraft in the vicinity by trying to land on a closed runway at the Delhi airport. Aviation officials said the AN-32 was supposed to land on runway 09 but instead tried to land on runway 10. "We detected the anomaly at the last moment and guided it to its designated runway. There seems to have been some fault at the pilot's end," the official said.
sattili
BRFite

Post by sattili »

Ajit.C wrote:NEW DELHI: An IAF fighter being scrambled to intercept an unidentified flying object (UFO) coming from Pakistan and breaching its assigned flying level, and another military aircraft trying to land on a closed runway, both on the same day, had civilian aviation authorities screaming "near-misses" earlier this month.

In the more serious incident on February 20, a Sukhoi-30MKI fighter apparently breached its assigned flying level to come dangerously close to two passenger aircraft but still could not be contacted by the ATC to correct its course. Fortunately, a tragedy was averted with the passenger aircraft successfully staying clear of the Sukhoi.

"The civilian air traffic control had assigned this aircraft flying level of 22,000 feet. The aircraft instead went way higher and went to 35,600 feet. This level and the adjoining level was assigned to two international airliners, one of Thai, other KAR Airways," said a highly-placed aviation official.

IAF, however, said the Sukhoi had been scrambled to intercept a UFO which was detected moving towards the international border with Pakistan near Amritsar. "The UFO later turned out to be a weather balloon adrift. There was no near-miss," said an IAF officer.

But civilian authorities maintained that the Sukhoi, while wrongly ascending in the Amritsar airspace, breached the minimum vertical safety level with the two civilian aircraft which, between them were carrying over 500 passengers. Instead of the minimum 1,000-feet separation, the Sukhoi was just 700 feet away from the planes while wrongly zooming up the stratosphere.

During these hair-raising moments, the ATC frantically tried to contact the Sukhoi but could not establish contact with the pilot. But the scarier bit came when the plane landed in Ambala. "We were told that the defence authorities asked the pilot as to what happened and why did he deviate from his assigned level. And the pilot reportedly told the authorities that his aircraft's altitude measuring machine (altimeter) was not working," said the official.

The other incident took place when an IAF AN-32 transport aircraft came close to wrecking havoc on other aircraft in the vicinity by trying to land on a closed runway at the Delhi airport. Aviation officials said the AN-32 was supposed to land on runway 09 but instead tried to land on runway 10. "We detected the anomaly at the last moment and guided it to its designated runway. There seems to have been some fault at the pilot's end," the official said.
Seriously??? a fighter scrambled to intercept an incoming bogey will respond to civilian ATC and will obey the altitude restrictions :shock: :shock: :shock:

The second highlighted sentence about Altimeter not working is even more hilarious, doesn't Sukhoi have Radio Altimeter as back up for pressure altimeters? Doesn't the ground controller who is vectoring this fighter cant see the altitude of both the bogey as well as our own fighter? multiple inconsistencies in the story, looks like some one is doing a hatchet job to malign IAF.

Even the AN-32 lining up on the wrong run way is not as big disaster as this news article tries to make it to be. Actually, Pilots may have been told they are lined up on wrong runway and they would initiated a go around and lined up to the correct runway heading.
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

C-130J crashes in Gwalior.: NDTV
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

Gwalior: An Indian Air Force aircraft, one of six bought from the US two years ago, has crashed near Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh.

The C-130 J plane, also known as super Hercules, crashed a short while ago.

The multi-role special operations aircraft, had reportedly been used during the recent search for the missing Malaysian airliner MH 370. It was also used in relief operations after the Uttarakhand floods and for a recent landing at Daulat Beg Oldie near the border with China.
anand_sankar
BRFite

Post by anand_sankar »

Multiple sources confirming C-130J down on Twitter. :(
amdavadi
BRFite

Post by amdavadi »

Garud commando were on the board.
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

This is weird, Chindu say it's a helicopter crash,

NEWS FLASH: Helicopter crashes on Madhya Pradesh-Rajasthan border
member_28397
BRFite

Post by member_28397 »

IAF's latest C-130J Super Hercules aircraft crashes near Gwalior: PTI
amdavadi
BRFite

Post by amdavadi »

It crash near RAJ-MP border
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

wtf!?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

very rare crash of c130 - being 4 engined, I dont think it would be due to engine failure.
SanjayC
BRFite

Post by SanjayC »

Five crew members were on board.
sarang
BRFite

Post by sarang »

How is that possible. No this can not happen. The world best equipment from world best manufacturer can not crash. The devine plane with out of the world ding-dong and the best flying record can only crash with improper handling of poor and untrained SDREs.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

sarang wrote:How is that possible. No this can not happen. The world best equipment from world best manufacturer can not crash. The devine plane with out of the world ding-dong and the best flying record can only crash with improper handling of poor and untrained SDREs.
Oh, shut up!

Pay respects to the personnel who lost their lives.
rohanldsouza
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rohanldsouza »

Another Loss of trained personnel that India can't afford.
My condolences to the families affected by the Loss of Loved Ones.
member_23891
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_23891 »

RIP to bravrhearts.

It is a tragic loss of vital asset and trained personnel.
Most likely cause seems some heroics stunt like xxx movie para dropping and radar evading low level flying exercize etc. We have to wait for the IAF court of inquiry.
saje
BRFite -Trainee

Post by saje »

It will be very very interesting to hear what Lockheed has to say about this. Expect to hear the truth from them if not from the IAF.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

Invaluable lives lost. Condolences to families and friends who lost their loved ones. And IAF lost a precious and expensive hardware.

Lets see what the COI findings are for this crash.
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

Sad -it it the same airframe that took part in MH 370 search
anishns
BRFite

Post by anishns »

Sad :-( RIP

Do military aircraft have CVRs & FDRs?
Ganesh_S
BRFite

Post by Ganesh_S »

Perhaps i am jumping the guns here, but looking at the rate of attrition Indian Military is going through, Sabotage cannot be ruled out. It's Understandable that neither GOI nor the Armed forces are likely to reveal this.