Military Flight Safety

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Re: Military Flight Safety

Post by chetak »

^^^^^

Additionally,

In the case of civilian VIPs (defence min, VP, PM President as also foreign dignitaries) flying by Military helicopters, multiple fuel samples are drawn with such sealed samples being officially labelled for identification and deposited with the local collector, police as well as a sample held under lock and key with the concerned unit.

IB comes with a sniffer dog and checks out the entire helo, and they issue a certificate saying that at so and so time on such and such date, no explosives have been detected. and thereafter the entire responsibility for the helo rests with the unit operating the helo regarding security, protection and safekeeping.

Such elaborate procedures for fuel samples, explosive checks et al did not exist for military VIPs but I do not know if the same has been upgraded now.

Security is however always maintained, no matter who the VIP is. Only strictly authorised personnel are allowed anywhere near the VIP cleared aircraft.
rrao
BRFite

Post by rrao »

MI17 V5 is an upgraded version . it must be having RDR 2100 weather Radar, which can show bad weather conditions on its display with range up 300km...and also must be having doppler gps navigation system which has altimeter mode ,ground proximity warning mode...knowingly the hilly terrain could be foggy with rain,mist and low clouds. visibility is so poor from the video one can make out ,instruments have they misguided the pilots? very very sad loss of Rawat saheb along with his wife, staff,airforce and army personnel!!! :(
Hari Nair
BRFite

Post by Hari Nair »

Chaps, please read my post earlier.
Kiindly scrutinise my post and then comment.
Please do understand that we need to maintain focus and a modicum of scientific methodology and ethical decorum!
Please do cast aside dogma, conspiracy theories and other wild allegations!
And as far as the Superior Han Chinese propaganda is concerned - wow - you superior Han bunch may please continue to HALLUCINATE :)
We will S-O-R-T you out in very LARGE measure each and every time!
Hari Nair
BRFite

Post by Hari Nair »

chetak wrote:^^^^^.
Chetak, Saar,
May I suggest that that the unfortunate accident is being probed in a very meticulous manner and perhaps we need to avoid speculations??
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Hari Nair wrote:Ramana Saab,
I see that this thread has suddenly gained traction.
Various members are suggesting their points-of-view.

However, may I suggest we focus on the relevant points:
Thank You Hari Nair Sir for a great post.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Hari Nair wrote:
chetak wrote:^^^^^.
Chetak, Saar,
May I suggest that that the unfortunate accident is being probed in a very meticulous manner and perhaps we need to avoid speculations??
By name, ramana asked for the checks done on the VIP helo.

I had it in draft form when I saw your post, so I did not post the whole thing.

what I posted were the additional things done in the case of civilian VIPs, just to round off the topic.

I have no idea if such a procedure has been standardized or not.

If you see any speculation, you need to look again.

do please go through the posts that I have made on this thread and see if you can find speculation anywhere.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Hari Nair,
Thanks for your professional and informed views.
Yes, most accounts are coming to the CFIT as the cause.
The speculation was due to mind wavering.
Didn't mean to harm.
Keeping ground in visual contact could explain the altitude.

How far is Kettary Tea Estate from INCOServe guest house?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Chetak, Your account rules out tampering.
Thanks for answering my question on the three-stage checks for VIP flights mentioned in the news report.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Hari Nair wrote:However, may I suggest we focus on the relevant points:
Thanks for the lucid explanation, Hari-sir. Had a question for you. Civilian aircraft have terrain avoidance system . Do helicopters have something like that ? Would they detect things like trees/boulders in the path? Would it be possible to use that for normal/VIP flights (outside of training/war times)?
Last edited by Rakesh on 10 Dec 2021 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do NOT quote an entire post. Post Edited.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

ramana wrote:Chetak, Your account rules out tampering.
Thanks for answering my question on the three-stage checks for VIP flights mentioned in the news report.
sirji,

before the inquiry report is out, something that we have all been told, ad nauseam, to wait patiently for, mentioning CFIT is speculation.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

chetak, Yes.
Hari Nair
BRFite

Post by Hari Nair »

ramana wrote:Hari Nair,
...How far is Kettary Tea Estate from INCOServe guest house?
If I understand INCOServe is near Upper Coonoor (somewhat close to Sims Park), then as a the crow flies its about 2-5 km from the crash site,
One can type Kettary Park and trace in Google Earth and move the way up that narrow rivulet.
Last edited by Hari Nair on 10 Dec 2021 22:48, edited 2 times in total.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

I had gone to Ooty a couple of years ago in early spring, I saw bright sun, rain and no visibility fog (basically low clouds hitting the mountain) within short span & the weather was changing in matter of minutes. Presently the season is changing from rain to winter in TN so weather in ooty will be even more unpredictable, weather radar will be of little use in mountain terrain especially when flying low.
Hari Nair
BRFite

Post by Hari Nair »

putnanja wrote:
Hari Nair wrote:However, may I suggest we focus on the relevant points:
Thanks for the lucid explanation, Hari-sir. Had a question for you. Civilian aircraft have terrain avoidance system . Do helicopters have something like that ? Would they detect things like trees/boulders in the path? Would it be possible to use that for normal/VIP flights (outside of training/war times)?
Valid question indeed!
However, I am not at liberty to describe the exact fit of avioinics on our V5s! : :|
Last edited by Hari Nair on 10 Dec 2021 22:31, edited 1 time in total.
Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

In one of the Tamil Channels, heard a local police who rushed to the spot. He said the weather was clear that time. While we saw the video of chopper entering cloud, the surrounding areas near the railway track and even the chopper was clearly visible before it went inside the cloud. Perhaps a local cloud as Hari Nair Sir mentioned. The other witness said it hit a jackfruit tree first before it hit another tree with a huge thud.TIWiw
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

My question is unrelated to the present unfortunate case.

Has foul play ever been proven/suspected/found in any IAF crash ?
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

rrao wrote:MI17 V5 is an upgraded version . it must be having RDR 2100 weather Radar, which can show bad weather conditions on its display with range up 300km...
Saw this speculation about the V5's weather radar elsewhere too. Aircraft weather radars are used for detecting and avoiding areas of high precipitation, thunderstorms etc. Would not be very useful against fog and localized clouds.
sohamn
BRFite

Post by sohamn »

Having some experience with flying I can say that you can't depend on weather radars to detect local patches of cloud, fog or mist. Weather radars depend on large suspended water particles and strong weather patterns - and a pilot can't substitute a weather radar in leu of VFR rules. If a flight got approved for VFR flight rules, and a pilot encountered low visibility especially during landing - they should either
a) ask tower a different vector to land which may allow for VFR approach
b) abort approach and go into a pattern at altitude if fuel load allows and wait until local weather pattern clears
c) land at alternate designated airport / helipad

<Admin note: Empty Speculation Removed>
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

Air ambulance helicopters in the west have been using GPS guided quasi IFR approaches to helipads located on the top of hospitals in urban setting with multi storey buildings in the approach. FAA guidelines on this have been issued as far back as 1997. This calls for the pilot to reach the coordinates at a height which clears all known obstacles in the area, by about 1000 feet I think, and then transition to VFR and always descend into the landing zone with minimal forward speed. So there is no question of doing a VFR approach and increasing altitude i.e. following a mountain side up with the risk of a controlled flight into terrain as this flight faced.

In the light of this tragedy one would hope that the IAF establishes a system of GPS way points for the trip from Sulur to DSS College, Wellington as I would imagine that there will continue to be VIP and other visitors flying in via helicopter and visibility can be un-predictable in such mountainous areas. GPS way points and IFR routes can also be set up for approaches from other directions as well.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

I have a question -
Why cant the helicopter would have just risen to say 5500 feet during take off (clear of highest possible obstacle on the way), flown and then around destination lowered to land? Not practical or riskier?
Hari Nair
BRFite

Post by Hari Nair »

ldev wrote:Air ambulance helicopters in the west have been using GPS guided quasi IFR approaches to helipads located on the top of hospitals in ...
In the light of this tragedy one would hope that the IAF establishes a system of GPS way points for the trip from Sulur to DSS College, Wellington...
That will be a PinS (Points-in-Space) approach using SBAS augmented GNSSS with an RNP (Required Navigation Performance) of 0.3 or better.
Yes, I agree we need to evolve up the IFR chain, so to speak!

Although:
• The V5s are built to Russian specs, whereas the PinS based approach calls for strict adherence to Western IFR standards.

• Such IFR standards call for specifics in design of critical systems and must include full redundancy of such systems.

• The avionics fit should also adhere to specified standards and must again have redundancies. This includes monitoring and alerting in the event of degradation of navigation performance.

• I am not sure whether it will be cost effective or even technically possible to modify the V5s to adhere to western IFR standards.

• However, the ALH is already compliant with western IFR standards and we routinely fly IFR profiles. Work is also going on to get PinS based approach with SBAS augmented GNSS capabilities for the ALH, LCH and even the LUH.

• For the future, we must look at an entirely different class of next-generation medium lift helicopters that must adhere to western IFR standards. We definitely need to get full IFR capability at even stand-alone helipads without ground based navigation aids.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

A timely, factual and respectful note from
Maj Gen Jose Manavalan in Wellington. Thought it was worth sharing.

-
*Update from Wellington*

To my civilian friends,

I appreciate the love and concern that is being shown for the loss of the brave men that died in the chopper crash in the Nilgiri hills, close to Wellington. The CDS was to arrive with his wife, his team of officers and men to address the staff college course presently being conducted here. The helicopter, the latest in India’s holdings, took off from SULUR air base. The CO of the squadron was flying the helicopter, with hundreds of hours of flying experience and considerable amount of pre reconnaissance of the flight path. Weather at Wellington was clear. The helicopter has to gain immidiate altitude and fly through a deep ravine, to clear the crest to land at the helipad at the Wellington golf club Coonoor. While the crest was being approached there seems to have been fog which in this place is normal in this season, the fog rolls down the hills, that is from the top moves down. No one knows why the helicopter crashed. But let me assure you, there is no truth in all the stories of enemy actions as some jokers are claiming. Please let the airforce conduct its inquiry and analysis.

The commandant DSSC was waiting at the helipad, the communication was in place. When the helicopter did not reach at its designated time. It was learnt that one helicopter had crashed. This information was given to the police by some local civilians.

Immediately the commandant with all the equipment, security and the medical team, rushed to the site. The civilians were already in location. Trying to rescue people from a raging fire. The civilians showed no fear and were like super humans. Each young boy getting into and trying to dowse the fire. Some even having minor burns. Carrying the injured uphill and through dense under brush. The ambulance drivers just swarmed in, some of them just hearing of the crash. Without being asked. The act of selflessness of the civilians of the NILGIRIS will always be saluted by all military men. You might not be in uniform, but the courage and fortitude on display was impeccable and stupendous.

Three soldiers were alive and rescued, two gave up their life after an hour. The brave men fought until the good lord couldn’t bear their suffering anymore and called them to heaven. Group Captain Varun is still battling it out at Military Hospital Wellington. He needs all your prayers. All the bodies were bought to the hospital. Autopsy was conducted. Wellington the Defence services staff college and the Madras Regimental Centre paid their last tributes to the honourable and brave men today on 09 Dec 2021.

Due to bad weather they couldn’t be flown by helicopter. They are being moved by road to Sulur, for their final journey to their loved ones. The CM Tamil Nadu and the Governor Telangana paid homage. The commandant the Defence Services Staff College, addressed all officers and paid tribute. We prayed together, for the souls of those that left us and for strength to their families. We raised our voice to god unitedly for the survivor, who has two small kids. That god be kind and respect our faith.

The military is a life, it isn’t a job. We are on parade 24 x 7. All activities were carried out as normal.

Brave men in uniform are the epitome of honour, discipline and valour. Gen Rawat was of indomitable spirit, sometimes a one man army. He took decisions for the military that were reformative, futuristic and in the interest of the nation. The lady was always full of grace and charm. Brigadier Tony Lidder, was the epitome of charisma and soldiering, Lt Col Harjinder SIngh a soldier and a gentleman. The pilots thorough professionals and the Jawans all brave men, who did their task with pride and honour. Let’s all not give way to speculation and a media that’s only creating unnecessary sensationalism. This is the truth, from ground zero.
sajaym
BRFite

Post by sajaym »

chetak wrote:^^^^^

In the case of civilian VIPs (defence min, VP, PM President as also foreign dignitaries) flying by Military helicopters,
Pooch...The PM always appears to fly in a convoy of 3 heptrs. All 3 land one after the other. Is it an SOP to avoid incidents like this?
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

Hari Nair wrote: That will be a PinS (Points-in-Space) approach using SBAS augmented GNSSS with an RNP (Required Navigation Performance) of 0.3 or better.
Yes, I agree we need to evolve up the IFR chain, so to speak!.....

• However, the ALH is already compliant with western IFR standards and we routinely fly IFR profiles. Work is also going on to get PinS based approach with SBAS augmented GNSS capabilities for the ALH, LCH and even the LUH.
This is very good news that the PinS approach capability is being implemented in these different types.
• For the future, we must look at an entirely different class of next-generation medium lift helicopters that must adhere to western IFR standards. We definitely need to get full IFR capability at even stand-alone helipads without ground based navigation aids.
With the requirement of standalone helipads specially on the LAC in the north east where there are similar low visibility conditions, full IFR capability without ground based navigation aids will be invaluable in improving flight safety.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Hari Nair Ji: thanks a lot for the detailed explanation!

In terms of safety features, a couple of thoughts come to mind:

1) Collision avoidance system being employed by LIDAR etc in self-driving cars. Its equivalent for helicopters, so that the pilot is warned and maybe auto-pilot can take over if collision is imminent. Of course, with military helicopters, sometimes the pilot might want to fly close to the terrain for stealth. But perhaps a balance could be found?

2) Like with tanks (separate ammunition storage), can there be a safe ejection or canisterization of fuel-tanks in the case of a collision/hard-landing? Given that almost all casualties are because of burn injuries, is this something worth looking into?
stephen
BRFite -Trainee

Post by stephen »

Is it not possible to start using the AW101 that have already been paid for and are lying parked in Palam airport? We had sat on the Bofors blueprint for decades due to the controversy and we seem to be doing the same with the AW101, all said and done there is nothing wrong with the machine, just punish the damn people involved and fully utilize these uber expensive systems which we have paid for. Atleast we will know that our leaders are much safer flying in these machines. The MI17Vs are supposed to be very safe machines but knowing that our PMs, NSA, RM and important defense officials use it always gives me a bad feeling.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

It looks like if not for the fire, the accident would not be that bad. The heli was some 30-40 feet above ground. ALH has fallen from far higher heights (1000s of feet) and survived. The fuel tanks tech that Mi 17 and what ALH use may have made the difference. Boy, how much I am thinking that this is just a bad dream and it will all go away.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Hence I asked for cutaway diagram to see the structure.
Shubham
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shubham »

fanne wrote:It looks like if not for the fire, the accident would not be that bad. The heli was some 30-40 feet above ground. ALH has fallen from far higher heights (1000s of feet) and survived. The fuel tanks tech that Mi 17 and what ALH use may have made the difference. Boy, how much I am thinking that this is just a bad dream and it will all go away.
Quite true, if the pilots are able to put emergency fuel shut off levers back in time then chances of fire are very low, and chances of surviving increases.
Luxtor
BRFite

Post by Luxtor »

Synthetic vision technology could also prevent such accidents in IMC in the future.
arvin
BRFite

Post by arvin »

Some details about the feul tank in Mi 17V5

https://www.news18.com/news/opinion/mi- ... 36632.html
It has self-sealing fuel tanks made of a material called Hycatrol and it is also covered in a polyurethane fire retardant foam, giving it protection against explosions.
Before comparing it with any other helicopter worthwhile to look at the circumstances. Looking at the pics the impact seems to be very hard and the engine itself is not in one piece. The feul lines may have been dislodged spraying feul all over.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

No expert - so take it with sea of salt - Can it be designed from point of view that hard crash will happen and the fuel should not spray - like the fuel pipe made from puncture proof material, maybe held at multiple places by clamps, fuel tanks itself divided into multiple tanks, each fully self sealing in case of impact etc etc.

Most important tech to see even in fog - radars can see from 1000s of KM in space in all weather conditions. Same tech here, at least for some VIP MI17V. Or just buy Agusta or whatever, at least 12-24 in numbers for VVIP and VIP duties?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

MI-17V5 is miiliiitary transport helicopter being used for VIP flights.
Making all these mods will reduce effectiveness which dalals would love.
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

fanne wrote:It looks like if not for the fire, the accident would not be that bad. The heli was some 30-40 feet above ground. ALH has fallen from far higher heights (1000s of feet) and survived. The fuel tanks tech that Mi 17 and what ALH use may have made the difference. Boy, how much I am thinking that this is just a bad dream and it will all go away.
If you are familiar with the area you know it is hilly and also has a lot of tall trees (even within tea estates some "native" trees are left to provide shade or to anchor the soil) - same is evident from photos of the area. The Mi17 might have also survived a fall onto a flat maidan. But if the rotors hit the hill slope or a tree, then there is some massive kinetic energy which is converted into something uncontrollable. Debris may fly into the engine, or hit the fuel tanks. Basically all bets are off.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

ramana wrote:chetak or anyone,
Can you tell us what the three-stage mechanical checks are before VIP flights?

"3 stage vip check
1. Check all instruments
2. Mandatory refill of all fluids, Inc engine oil, lube, fuel
3. Wire lock all panels. Ground run (if needed 5 min flight)

Stn tech officer verifies and signoff."

This confirms helicopter was in sound flight worthy configuration.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Hari Nair wrote:
ramana wrote:Hari Nair,
...How far is Kettary Tea Estate from INCOServe guest house?
If I understand INCOServe is near Upper Coonoor (somewhat close to Sims Park), then as a the crow flies its about 2-5 km from the crash site,
One can type Kettary Park and trace in Google Earth and move the way up that narrow rivulet.

Thank you for that info. Was there in Jan 1996. Weather is sunny and suddenly fog rolls in.
Wellington is so close from there.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

Don't think this was posted ...
IAF Mi-17V5 Helicopter Crash: What is HTAWS and Why It is Need of the Hour
India has lost many soldiers like General Bipin Rawat to Controlled Flight Into Terrain (CFIT) crashes. HTAWS could be the panacea for this persisting problem.
GROUP CAPT MJ AUGUSTINE VINOD VSM (RETD)
Many lives have been lost and many air crashes have happened due to a menace called Controlled Flight Into Terrain or CFIT (sometimes pronounced see-fit). This happens because the helicopter inadvertently enters IMC (Instrument Meteorological Condition), like it possibly happened with the Indian Air Force’s helicopter Mi-17V5 which was carrying General Bipin Rawat and 13 others. Now that I have introduced readers to terms like CFIT and IMC, let’s understand them clearly.
Controlled Flight Into Terrain
Controlled Flight Into Terrain (CFIT) is an air accident in which fully serviceable and fit aircraft is unintentionally flown into the ground, water or an obstacle. Accidents where the aircraft is out of control at the time of impact is called UFIT, but these are rare. CFIT accidents happen due to Loss of Situational Awareness (LOSA), more often than not due to weather and when the aeroplane’s position is especially close to the ground. But CFIT accidents are not limited to these conditions alone. Many CFIT accidents have taken place on flat or rising terrain as well. Furthermore, studies show that half of CFIT helicopter accidents took place in clear weather conditions. These statistics demonstrate that CFIT is caused by more than just weather conditions. It is actually LOSA which causes these crashes.
Historically, low visibility coupled with night/fog/clouds in mountainous terrain is the major cause of CFIT in helicopters. In helicopters, flying is mostly done visually; such is the nature of helicopter flying because of its design and the altitudes in which it flies. In most cases, CFIT happens while conducting an approach to landing. Aggravating reasons sometimes could be minor/major failures, like navigational system failure or even an engine failure.
Aeromedical aspects too could contribute to CFIT. False horizon, flying with cold (which could affect semi-circular canals in your ears that keep you upright) to tumour in your brain (yes, there was a crash on December 29, 1972 of a brand new flight of Eastern Air Lines Flight 401). Helicopters operate at much lower altitudes and weather minimums than airplanes. Which is why a helicopter pilot is always on the ball, all the time looking for exit routes, in case of failures.
What is Inadvertent IMC
Visual Flight Rules’ (VFR) flights are those which are conducted with visual means, not only to fly but also to navigate. However, sometimes, an aircraft (fixed-wing aeroplane/helicopter) Inadvertently enters Instrument Meteorological Conditions (IIMC), before pilots get an opportunity to transit to instruments and operate rest of the flight under IMC (Instrument Meteorological Condition). When a helicopter pilot encounters such a situation he is (should be) trained to act in an appropriate manner to extricate from the situation. Pitfalls of IIMC are continuing with VMC (Visual Meteorological Conditions) in IMC conditions and not transitioning to instruments, while placing priority on loss of time or additional expense of a diversion or flight delay (sometimes referred to as “get-home-itis”).
Lack of risk awareness and underestimating weather can also lead to catastrophic outcomes. Sometimes, a pilot may sense a strong responsibility of reaching destination at all costs, which too can lead to the pilot not taking action on time. Sometimes passengers, especially if he/she is a VIP, may apply pressure and pilots may succumb to it.

Helicopter Terrain Awareness and Warning Systems (HTAWS)
The West has made Helicopter Terrain Awareness and Warning Systems (HTAWS) mandatory for helicopter emergency medical services (HEMS) and offshore operations flights. This is because of the disproportionately high CFIT crashes.
HTAWS computes precise three-dimensional position and velocity of the aircraft in real-time, monitoring corelates with accurate databases of the terrain height and hazardous obstacle locations. HTAWS automation continuously monitors the terrain/object and warns the pilot of the impending CFIT. It gives both warning and, if not heeded, clear-cut executory calls to pilots like “Pull – up, turn right, left etc.” Similar system is there in fixed- wing aeroplanes, including passenger aeroplane made by Airbus and Boeing, called EGPWS (Enhanced Ground Proximity and Warning System). Since the mandatory fitment of EGPWS, there have been few cases of CFIT in passenger aircraft.

Is HTAWS the Need of the Hour?
HTAWS would provide the following, which would reduce cases of CFIT in helicopter considerably:
1. Integrated three-dimensional (3D) visualisation, displays, sensors and database components
2. High-resolution terrain imagery
3. Sourcing of multiple specialised databases for airports, obstacles and terrain
4. Improved proprietary high-accuracy data
5. Helicopter-specific alerting algorithms
6. Forward-looking terrain and obstacle-avoidance capability
7. Visual and aural advisories (including voice alerts about relative conflict threat level), designed for helicopter pilots and their mission profiles
8. Integration of HTAWS data with 3D synthetic vision system, traffic-alerting and collision avoidance system, weather radar and a separate obstacle warning system
9. Height-above-terrain voice callouts at pilot-selected height ranges
10. Pilot-selectable modes for minimising/suppressing nuisance alerts (enabling low-level operations and off-airport landings while allowing protection from terrain and obstacles)
India has lost many soldiers like General Bipin Rawat, politicians like YSR Reddy to CFIT in helicopters. HTAWS could be the panacea for this persisting problem.

chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Human/Psychological factors affecting crew performance

An attitude to complete the task especially when carrying VIPs against odds which one would not do in normal circumstances

Pressuring the Captain of the aircraft to get on with it as the VIP has an important schedule to keep.

Fear of being berated by Arm chair seniors for not completing the task with ones high qualifications and experience
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

https://indianexpress.com/article/citie ... c-7658148/
Lone survivor of Coonoor chopper crash airlifted to Bengaluru for treatment
By: Express Web Desk | Bengaluru |
Updated: December 10, 2021 8:05:13 am

My heart felt condolences.
Om shanti...

Sincerely Hope and pray the Group Captain Varun Singh recover fully and lead a normal life from now on.

I am no expert on the subject but travelled to ooty many times and personally seen the foggy weather.
I just felt pilot must have climbed higher and then descended on to the helipad thereby he may have avoided trees in the mist.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/ajaykraina/status/1 ... 11522?s=20 --->

An update, as received...
Prayers and faith can move mountains, is what I truly believe.
Group Captain Varun is doing much better now. He has been started on some solid food and his body has tolerated it.
Today they begin skin grafting.
Lets keep him in prayers!