Discussion on Indian Special Forces

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Re: Discussion on Indian Special Forces

Post by Surya »

A bag of chawal and some spices :D

At least sometimes it is bare minimum - rest is of the land.

We are SDREs after all!!!

I will ask again.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

a knife and a lighter.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

If you really think about it, lots of traditional desi SDRE foods are MRE and have low probability of getting spoilt and are tasty to boot..so makes it much easier than having to invent those cardboard tasting fancy MREs used by western armies.
ranganathan
BRFite

Post by ranganathan »

Will the Paras shift to the Mahindra AXE/ Marksman or TATA's vehicles soon? The gypsy is thoroughly outdated today.
Venkarl
BRFite

Post by Venkarl »

Surya wrote:A bag of chawal and some spices :D

I will ask again.
My guess----Maggie noodles and some chocolate bars or some DRDO high vitamin/protein packed food.
Raman
BRFite

Post by Raman »

In the "Line of Fire" segment on Special Forces, one commando mentions MREs, Chocolate Bars and Boiled Eggs. That's probably a small sample of the kinds of pre-cooked, dense foods that they carry.
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

I will ask again.
Dude what the hell does SRDE mean??

Its driving me nuts trying to figure out. :evil:
Venkarl
BRFite

Post by Venkarl »

^^^^^

SDRE== http://tinyurl.com/6hmgb6

check the highlighted part
Misraji
BRFite

Post by Misraji »

Anand Barve wrote: Dude what the hell does SRDE mean??

Its driving me nuts trying to figure out. :evil:
Agonizing isn't it?? ... Drove me bonkers too, a couple of days back.

Here goes .... One awesome list of BRF acronyms coming up ....

Link: http://brf.wik.is/BRF_Acronyms_and_Nomenclature

Regards,
Ashish
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Venkarl wrote:

I will ask again.
My guess----Maggie noodles and some chocolate bars or some DRDO high vitamin/protein packed food.
I remember reading in arrse that they get things like pulao and chicken, not maggi. the fellow said Indian soldiers were pretty happy with MREs unlike gora ones. may be RayC can clarify.
Misraji
BRFite

Post by Misraji »

Venkarl wrote:^^^^^

Whoa ... thanks Venkarl for an that ....

Link: http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46

Regards,
Ashish
Venkarl
BRFite

Post by Venkarl »

Rahul M wrote:
Venkarl wrote: My guess----Maggie noodles and some chocolate bars or some DRDO high vitamin/protein packed food.
I remember reading in arrse that they get things like pulao and chicken, not maggi. the fellow said Indian soldiers were pretty happy with MREs unlike gora ones. may be RayC can clarify.
I remember watching a video on youtube in which soldier saying "Maggie Khate hain"...I'll dig out that link..
Venkarl
BRFite

Post by Venkarl »

Misraji wrote:
Venkarl wrote:^^^^^

Whoa ... thanks Venkarl for an that ....

Link: http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46

Regards,
Ashish
Anytime Misraji :)
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

I remember watching a video on youtube in which soldier saying "Maggie Khate hain"...I'll dig out that link..
That was just a video about our regular forces on the IB in J&K who were working normally despite the area being blanketed in snow....

Dont recall any SF guy mentioning Maggi specifically.....Guess, they are taught to live of the land with bare minimum MRE provided.
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

I saw one video too in which troops on a night patrol cooks Maggi noodles (Atta one). But they were not SF. Regular Infantry guys.

Guess it was part of some series on young officers.
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

Dont recall any SF guy mentioning Maggi specifically.....Guess, they are taught to live of the land with bare minimum MRE provided.
An SF Patrol/Unit is allowed to take a Maximum of 4 Days of Ration. (Even if he is expected to operate for longer). It happened very frequently in the Kargil war were the SF would head out and spend 2 weeks or mores doing Recce in the mountains with only 4 days of Rations.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

what would a typical 4day MRE weigh ? and what would these soldiers eat in kargil when the rations ran out ?
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

what would a typical 4day MRE weigh ? and what would these soldiers eat in kargil when the rations ran out ?
SF take MRE's (DRDO made) into combat. There are two set of MRE's. One for regular army and another set for Cold Weather operations (Mountains/Siachen). They also carry Very high energy products like Candy and Chocolate. If you are operating in stealth you cannot start cooking in the middle of your OP. Regular Jawans though do have the warm food available specially when they are moving in Battalion Strenght.

If the ration runs out Specific Schools (Such as HAWS,CIJWS,etc) train soldiers in Identifying Vegetation/Wildlife that is easily edible to survive.

For Example an SF trooper (10SF) in the past has told me that the best Life saver in the Desert (specially on LRRP) is an Onion. When you run out of food and specially hydration you have one peel of the onion periodically and it gives you enough nutrition and hydration to keep you going. (Though your breath smells like a dogs arse after a day lol)

This is the Composition of an Indian MRE Package.
Short Term Preserved Chapaties.
Preserved and Flavoured Chapaties.
Spiced Potato Parathas.
Besan Burfi.
Stabilised Chikki.
Fruit Bar.
Compressed Cereal Bar.
Nutri Food Bar.
High Protein Snacks
Sorgham flakes
Sorgham snacks
Canned upama
Canned Avial
Coconut burfee
Composite Breakfast Cereal
Emergency / Survival Bar.
Hurdle Technology Preserved Fruits.
Various Retort Pouch Processed Food Products.
Intermediate Moisture (IM) Fruits.
Vegetable Halwa.
Fruit Juice (Preserved)
Preserved Tender Coconut Water.
Egg Biscuits.
Seabuckthorn based products
Fiber rich biscuits
DRDO has also come up with a special self Heating thermal Pounch that heats the food internally without having to pull out a stove.

The Bottom link gives you the Full Spectrum of Foods developed by DRDO for the Armed Forces.

http://www.drdo.org/labs/dfrl/achievements.html

PhotoGallery of Above food

http://www.drdo.org/labs/dfrl/photo.html
Prasanna_Matt
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prasanna_Matt »

Hey Guys .. Im kinda new to this, however a very avid enthusiast when it comes to Indian Spec Ops. Im kinda curious about a new rifle that I spotted with some NSG/SPG protecting Narendra Modi. During his visit post Ahmedabad blasts to surat, one of the guards was holding what looked like an HK-416( I could be wrong) , foldable butt, fibre glass mag n all. Just wondering if anyone else has info on that rifle (But its surely not the Tavor or the FN-2000). The pics also appeared in DC( deccan chronicle) .. awaiting reply.
Airavat
BRF Oldie

Post by Airavat »

NSG team studies Jammu encounter

A high level team of National Security Group (NSG) has arrived here to analyse Thursday’s encounter at Chinore in which 11 persons including all three fidayeens were killed.

The high level team of NSG officers will assess all operational details of the encounter right from Kanachak, where the militants had intruded, to culmination of the nearly 18 hour long gun-battle in a house at Chinore, official sources said.

They added that the NSG generally undertakes visits after such major encounters to upgrade its skills.

Meanwhile, police authorities have decided to hold a complete investigation-cum-inquiry into the encounter. The investigations will also find out the lacunaes, if any, on the part of police on the route taken by the militants from Kanachak to Chinore, official sources said.

Police have detained some suspects for questioning to bust over ground network of the militants.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Seabuckthorn based products

an excellent choice. it grows in ladakh and tibet I believe. a Leh Berry brand markets it
in tropicana type cartons. bit hard to find but great taste.
said to have good properties.
Prasanna_Matt
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Prasanna_Matt »

Got it! Here it is the best i cud muster .. its kinda fuzzy but try to make out somehow ... its the guy on the left front ... wuts the weapon hes holding???[img][IMG]http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/8131/modixm5.th.jpg[/img][/img]
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

Hey Guys .. Im kinda new to this, however a very avid enthusiast when it comes to Indian Spec Ops. Im kinda curious about a new rifle that I spotted with some NSG/SPG protecting Narendra Modi. During his visit post Ahmedabad blasts to surat, one of the guards was holding what looked like an HK-416( I could be wrong) , foldable butt, fibre glass mag n all. Just wondering if anyone else has info on that rifle (But its surely not the Tavor or the FN-2000). The pics also appeared in DC( deccan chronicle) .. awaiting reply.

Buddy i know exactly which pic you are talking about . I have tried scanning it twice with no luck (the ToI mumbai ed had it in colour).

The Gun in question looks very much like the SIG SG-550 Assault rifle

or the Gun could be one of those new INSAS derivatives that has the folding stock.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

NOt an INSAS by any means. Most likely SSG-550
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Singha wrote:Seabuckthorn based products

an excellent choice. it grows in ladakh and tibet I believe. a Leh Berry brand markets it
in tropicana type cartons. bit hard to find but great taste.
said to have good properties.
struggled to find it in Mumbai and Pune, but easy enough in Kolkata. You can get the pure berry juice or mixed with orange, mango, apple, etc. very tasty indeed, and very refreshing
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Army special forces were intrumental in resolving the recent hostage crisis in Jammu. Seems they were flown in from Chandigarh. Guess they prefer their own boys rather than call in the NSG....
http://www.timesnow.tv/NewsDtls.aspx?NewsID=14701

Army's Special Forces shot dead the last of the three suspected LeT militants early today. "The operation is over. Our Special Forces have killed the third militant early today," army spokesman Lieutenant Colonel SD Goswami told.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Indi ... 419093.cms
A blow-by-blow account of the Jammu hostage drama
29 Aug 2008, 0241 hrs IST,TNN

Wednesday, 4.30am : Three militants, who apparently sneaked into the Indian side from Pakistan in Akhnoor sector on Monday night, leave for Jammu in an auto-rickshaw

5.00am : At Mishriwalla on Akhnoor Road, they open fire at an army post. As the troops return fire, the trio drive towards Domana

5.10am : Just 50 metres short of the Domana police station, militants open fire on an Army checkpost, killing V V Parkasha, a JCO of 9 Madras Rifles

5.35am : Approaching Chinore, the militants fire at Joginder Kumar, a police sportsman jogging on the road

5.50am : The trio arrives at Chinore Chowk and opens fire near a school, killing Vijay Kumar. Then they shoot
ex-Subedar Naseeb Singh in a narrow lane and enter maize fields at the end of the lane

5.55am : After crossing the fields, they barge into the house of Billu Ram Bhagat and take hostage his old mother, wife, and 4 children, and two other persons

6.15am : Jammu SP (Operations) Joginder Singh, along with a contingent of the Special operations Group (SoG), reach the spot

7.55am : BSF troops also arrive at the spot. The security forces cordon off the area by laying barbed wire

8.00-8.30am : A terrorist comes out of a room on the second floor to assess the situation. He is gunned down by troops. Other two militants open indiscriminate fire on troops from inside the house

9.00am : Intermittent fire from the house suddenly stops

10.30am : Police, security forces evacuate civilians, including women and children, from nearby houses in area

1.00pm : The two remaining militants resume firing on the police and security forces at intermittent intervals

1.30pm : Army asks terrorist to surrender, but they respond by opening fire again

5.30pm : Terrorists fire nearly a dozen shots on the troops from inside the house. Security forces retaliate

5.32pm : Firing once again stops and security forces continue to lay siege to the house as the militants refuse to release the six hostages trapped in the house

6.30pm : Terrorists fire 9 rounds again. Forces retaliate

8.30pm : IGP K Rajindera confirms the killing of second terrorist. One militant remains holed up inside the house with hostages

9.00pm : Army pulls up the body of the second terrorist to the roof of the house

Thursday, 12.00am : GOC Tiger Division D L Choudhary confirms the death of the third and last terrorist

1.30am : GOC Choudhary confirms that all the hostages, including four siblings and their mother, are safe
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

maybe they asked and the psec owned HM mantriji rejected it saying it would send
'wrong signals' and 'disturb the secular atmosphere'. so they went back and used their
own resources.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

maybe they asked and the psec owned HM mantriji rejected it saying it would send
'wrong signals' and 'disturb the secular atmosphere'. so they went back and used their
own resources.
Highly probable since the HM has to approve the use of NSG(im guessing).... /sarc off

If the NSG is mostly staffed by the army, why wouldnt you use the force which has been raised for this specific purpose? :-?
Isnt this a jurisdiction violation?
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Well all army men (and policemen) are on 'deputation' to NSG so technically army cannot mobilize NSG unless the damned politicians approve it. Maybe they should do what Singha suggested...spin off SRG as a separate holding force (perhaps share adjacent facilities in Manesar and definitely cross train like hell...otherwise you end up with Rangers/Delta scenario in Mogadishu)....keep SAG and perhaps put it under Army command. I used to hear rumblings about a JSOC type organization for India....no idea why it never took off?? usual turf war between the services or our netas are too spineless?? :x

In Paki army, it is not called a Ghillie suit rather it is ubiquitously known as a Billie suit since on seeing TFTA Pakiban ghazis approach, the purekhans in SSG start pissing into it like cats (and smell like that onlee).
sum wrote: Highly probable since the HM has to approve the use of NSG(im guessing).... /sarc off

If the NSG is mostly staffed by the army, why wouldnt you use the force which has been raised for this specific purpose? :-?
Isnt this a jurisdiction violation?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Folks - the title of this thread is "Indian Special Forces". Not Pakistani or any other. I have deleted a whole lot of OT posts.
sakthi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sakthi »

friends,
One of my friend appeared SSB for NAVY General service executive/hydro cadre. His aim is to become a MARCO. He thought of getting selected as executive officer and then appear for MARCO. But unfortunately he was recommended for HYDRO cadre. Is there any chance of joining now as a HYDRO officer and later on switching to the MARCO??? Is it possible??
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

As far as I know, anyone who meets the fitness standards can apply to become a MARCO. Engineers, Executive, whatever.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

sakthi wrote:friends,
One of my friend appeared SSB for NAVY General service executive/hydro cadre. His aim is to become a MARCO. He thought of getting selected as executive officer and then appear for MARCO. But unfortunately he was recommended for HYDRO cadre. Is there any chance of joining now as a HYDRO officer and later on switching to the MARCO??? Is it possible??
Dude, the charts produced by the Navy's Hydrographers are going to be really tough to read if your pal wants to qualify as a MARCOS.
ssmitra
BRFite

Re: MARCOS & NSG ops in Mumbai Attack (News and Pics ONLY)

Post by ssmitra »

Raja Bose wrote:
While the commandos are not supposed to carry refreshments during such operations, they had MP-5 guns with a bore of around 4.7 mm, AK series assault rifles, Automatic Grenade Launchers (AGL's), Under Barrel Grenade Launcher (UBGL) magazines and handful of grenades.
I thought the MP5 is 9mm and the MP-7 is the new 4.7mm. Am I missing something here. I did not see any MP-7s
NSG commandos relive anti-terrorist operations

'During the operation at the Taj, we saw there were more than 8 terrorists. However, we do not know how many civilians were trapped in the building.

Tactics and weapons:
'The idea of the terrorists was to continue fighting for as long as possible. They too were aware that their battle could be on only until they had hostages as human shields. They had with them AK-47s and hand grenades and it looked like they had a lot of ammunition on them.

'All through the battle they tried to keep us away from them. We also do not rule out that they were even trying to bring the building down by starting fires all over. We had at our disposal a host of automatic weapons and stun grenades, which we used with great effect to scare and disorient the terrorists.
If there were 8 at the Taj how many at Oberoi and Nariman house 2 each. doesn't add up. Is the govt again pulling a stunt here over aam janta.

No disrespect to the NSG and marcos.
just questioning the govt figures
Raj Malhotra
BRFite

Post by Raj Malhotra »

Aditya G wrote:Very interesting picture. SLR being used for sniping:

NSG or MARCOS?

What is the gun lying on the ground, does not seem like INSAS version or even Mp-5. Seems like Sig 550 version
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

MP5 with double magazine
Raj Malhotra wrote:
Aditya G wrote:Very interesting picture. SLR being used for sniping:

NSG or MARCOS?

What is the gun lying on the ground, does not seem like INSAS version or even Mp-5. Seems like Sig 550 version
Div
BRFite

Post by Div »

Has anyone compiled a list of the Army units/regiments that participated in these operations?
somak
BRFite -Trainee

Post by somak »

MP5 with double magazine
But doesn't that appear longer than an MP_5? the magazine is also wider and shorter than an MP-5
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

SIG SG-552 commando carbine.