Google Earth updates more cities and airports in India

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Woo Hoooo

So thats what it is, That 'Dak' looked suspicous like the Devon, too short a nose.. This is great!

http://www.warbirds.in/nfpicturepro/dis ... hp?pos=-15

Jagan
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

This weird fuselage is at Barrackpore.. What is it?
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Any Kanpur-ite shed light on what this small airfield in the middle of the city is - this is seperate from the Chakeri Airfield
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

From Agra

http://www.warbirds.in/nfpicturepro/dis ... hp?pos=-21
Canberra Warbird

http://www.warbirds.in/nfpicturepro/dis ... hp?pos=-22
Looks like a Mystere

http://www.warbirds.in/nfpicturepro/dis ... hp?pos=-23
Mi-4

There are two Canberras at the apron and another probably a junked one in the blast pen to the north east
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the parking areas of jamnagar and bhuj have been painted with black spots to camouflage the a/c parked here and there. jamnagar has a rather beefy element of fighters.
akumar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by akumar »

Posted earlier by Shalav
Sargodha 32 02 52n, 72 39 55e
This paki airbase will be receive the full attention of IAF in the very first hours of hostility. Can the gurus here deconstruct Sargodha?

1. Spot F16’s.
2. Radar and GCI Installations
3. AD
4. Likely nuke bunkers
5. Oil and Ammo dump
6. BM’s
7. Staff acco and officers mes.
8. Places where the brave may frolic with their favorite goats.
9. Etc.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Folks, Anyone looked up google earth from Skardu to Deosai? Looks like a lot of mining going on. Whats up?
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

A Mystery warbird at Bamrauli (Allhabad)

The wingspan measures equal to a Devon, but the engines seem to be faired over?

And a Canberra not so far from the abve
pauldevis
BRFite -Trainee

Post by pauldevis »

akumar wrote:Posted earlier by Shalav
Sargodha 32 02 52n, 72 39 55e
This paki airbase will be receive the full attention of IAF in the very first hours of hostility. Can the gurus here deconstruct Sargodha?

1. Spot F16’s.
I don't see any F-16's at Sargodha, just a couple of Mirage 5's and some F-7's. Lots of HAS shelters though.
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

Boss google's updated military and Strategically important sites in india and elsewhere BIG TIME. Sriharikota, Chandipur etc are all there :eek:
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

pauldevis wrote:
akumar wrote:Posted earlier by Shalav This paki airbase will be receive the full attention of IAF in the very first hours of hostility. Can the gurus here deconstruct Sargodha?

1. Spot F16’s.
I don't see any F-16's at Sargodha, just a couple of Mirage 5's and some F-7's. Lots of HAS shelters though.
bob_marley
BRFite -Trainee

Post by bob_marley »

Jagan wrote:A Mystery warbird at Bamrauli (Allhabad)

The wingspan measures equal to a Devon, but the engines seem to be faired over?
It looks like a Beechcraft C90 to me. Could be wrong
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I would like to see naval base of this nature in the Andamans.

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/attach ... tid=130042
Shyam_K
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shyam_K »

Singha wrote:I would like to see naval base of this nature in the Andamans.

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/attach ... tid=130042
the image is dated as USS America was sunk more than a year ago in anti-shipping warfare trials
Last edited by Shyam_K on 12 Jun 2006 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Aha its been long wandering the khak (dirt) of Khyber Durra, Peshawar, Kabul, Khandahar and Amrika. Seeing India in High res is soothing. I hope Googole doesnt catch my tent in Khyber Durra area.:twisted:

Allahabad AF Stations Manuari & Bamrauli in high res:
The Hunter in front of CAC HQ bldg is at : N25.44715 E81.73715

And the Mig21 at the entry gate of CAC N25.4483 E81.73645

And one can barely see the outline of a SU-7 in front of the CAC AF Museum at: N25.44605 E81.73545

Alas I do not see my village that is further west.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Siachen glacier i salso in high res. One can fly into the valley and scan the horizon from the peaks.

So is Leh. Can see the civil airline and IL-76.

Some Indian company should take contract from Antrix and release for free the sub-meter photo of US ports, government offices, access to military training facilities, NSA, CIA and police offices. It will encourage and strengthen friendship.

Someone said free flow of information levels the playing field.

Jagan: The photo of Hunter I sent is located at N34.128 and E77.5327
Himanshu
BRFite

Post by Himanshu »

You can see the lineup of Sukhois at Bareilly AFS and a lone Mig-25 stationed there in the open..
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Chandigarh seems just to house a bunch of AN32 and IL76, no fighters at all.

Take a look at OFB WAH @ 33'46" N and 72'46" E - it has cluster of around 20 huge sheds for OFB. the biggest two measure 200m x 100m in size. A smaller cluster of around 10 sheds in Bhabra 6km to the NW of main complex.

There are good looking officers colonies around main complex and some sdre type quarters further away.

Its around 200km from Srinagar and 100km from the LOC.

very target rich environment for a squadron of bombers.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Also check out Reliance uber-Komplex @ Jamnagar to NW of the airbase. Occupies a area of 14 km x 18 km with multiple deep water jetties for tankers. Two tankers each 220m x 50m size are tied up at the tip of one pipeline jetty.

if they are talking of adding another one nearby should be quite a sight.

distance as crow flies from Karachi is 400km onlee though.

:roll:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

one feature I see in lot of IAF bases is many of the protected revetment areas instead of being kept empty for wartime usage or used by squadron itself in regular running seem to be "garages" for old disused ancient ac that for some reason arent being sold for scrap. the option of the entire squadron parked compactly in one row is probably easier for the pilots, security and engineers, but lets no forget india is not america where only a loony enviro anarchist would ever wander inside a mil base. and shoving out all the ancient junk in a time of need could consume resources...
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Singha wrote:one feature I see in lot of IAF bases is many of the protected revetment areas instead of being kept empty for wartime usage or used by squadron itself in regular running seem to be "garages" for old disused ancient ac that for some reason arent being sold for scrap. the option of the entire squadron parked compactly in one row is probably easier for the pilots, security and engineers, but lets no forget india is not america where only a loony enviro anarchist would ever wander inside a mil base. and shoving out all the ancient junk in a time of need could consume resources...
Aw c'mon, Singha , the only time I saw this happening is one or maybe two cases in the hundreds of blast pens. More specifically the case where two Canberras had been shoved into one blast pen/HAS in Agra. other than that, i have not found any pens that were used to store withdrawn aircraft. Unless I missed some airfield that had dozens of vintage aircraft parked in pens.. :)
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

try Bagdogra (just west of siliguri in the chicken neck). has lots of revetments but all the active Mig21s seem lined up in two parking apron areas. there's also a couple of wrecks in guwahati. there was also a photo by phil camp or simon watson of a hanger with some hunter type parked and being used as a dormitory - hashimara or kalaikunda iirc.

the local "tina bottle kagez" guy will be glad to send a couple of his boys and cart away any wreck.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Singha wrote:try Bagdogra (just west of siliguri in the chicken neck). has lots of revetments but all the active Mig21s seem lined up in two parking apron areas. there's also a couple of wrecks in guwahati. there was also a photo by phil camp or simon watson of a hanger with some hunter type parked and being used as a dormitory
Yes but the HAS and blast pens are empty - they are not filled with junk aircraft as suggested in the eariler post. except for one or two overall. I have scoured all the available airfields on Google Earth - the only ones with retired aircraft in pens are the ones in Agra. I havent checed yoru wrecks in Guwahati but that would be second case. There is no wreck in any HAS or blast pen in any of the other available airfields on GE.

Kalaikunda is not there in GE yet, but Simon Watsons pictures from 6 years ago should not be put up as a standard. That was a time when Hunters were being retired left right and center and they would ultimately find themselves in some corner of the airfield they operate from (just like the two canberras at Agra). Besides, one of the Hunters is already in a Nagpur park. I am sure in current pics, some MiG21FLs might be found in these revetments because they are being phased out currently..

I am sure if you count all the number of Blast pens and HAS and then count the number of wrecks in them you will not go beyond the fingers of one hand.
anurag_ver
BRFite -Trainee

Post by anurag_ver »

Jagan wrote:Image

Any Kanpur-ite shed light on what this small airfield in the middle of the city is - this is seperate from the Chakeri Airfield
:lol:
i flew at this airfield during training time, it is the civil aerodrome located in the cantt area next to the parachute factory and the railway line.it houses one flying school with a complement of 3 aircrafts and ncc .
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

anurag_ver wrote:[
i flew at this airfield during training time, it is the civil aerodrome located in the cantt area next to the parachute factory and the railway line.it houses one flying school with a complement of 3 aircrafts and ncc .
Thanks Anurag, any name for the airfield ?
SRay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SRay »

concern about google's earth maps is about to hot up... if i'm reading this right, google is now offering submeter resolution of many areas around the world:

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/06/13/google_earth_4/
According to the Google Blog, Google Earth initially "had medium resolution global satellite coverage [of] 15 meters per pixel." The new version has arrived at about 70 cm per pixel (about 27" per pixel) and Google claims that it has "even better data for many countries, up to 10 cm per pixel."
anurag_ver
BRFite -Trainee

Post by anurag_ver »

Jagan wrote:
anurag_ver wrote:[
Thanks Anurag, any name for the airfield ?

there is no specific name of the airfield its just denoted as KANPUR CIVIL, the runway dosent have the length so that an airline can operate thereit is barely 3000feet .
Vijay J
BRFite

Post by Vijay J »

check out the following at Pasni:

63.34575284138721 E, 25.29477931937493 N
63.34225143213048 E, 25.29983987279278 N
63.36226878407604 E, 25.29499593238904 N

all this wasn't built after 9-11.

I'll bet the mountain is hollow

more interesting views

69.84713919716874 E,27.78091576460082 N
70.19554549231613 E,25.70544141464174 N
70.65117332320622 E,28.3680642233896 N
bob_marley
BRFite -Trainee

Post by bob_marley »

Bakshi Ka Talab AFB is now available. I spotted 2 Mig-25s in hardened shelters.

Could spot 4 Canberras and a sqn of Su-30Ks. To the east of the Su-30s is a single aircraft parked. Looks like a MKI but I think I am wrong. Can anybody ID the aircraft??
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

bob_marley wrote:Bakshi Ka Talab AFB is now available. I spotted 2 Mig-25s in hardened shelters.

Could spot 4 Canberras and a sqn of Su-30Ks. To the east of the Su-30s is a single aircraft parked. Looks like a MKI but I think I am wrong. Can anybody ID the aircraft??
You are talking about Barielly, not Bakshi Ka Talab. (26°58'47.76"N , 80°54'1.86"E)
bob_marley
BRFite -Trainee

Post by bob_marley »

Jagan wrote:
bob_marley wrote:Bakshi Ka Talab AFB is now available. I spotted 2 Mig-25s in hardened shelters.

You are talking about Barielly, not Bakshi Ka Talab. (26°58'47.76"N , 80°54'1.86"E)
Sorry.....got that wrong. Somebody placed a wrong placemark at Bareilly :D
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

Not strictly in india, but check out the firepower at Diego Garcia !!!
Those look like strato fortresses - and several of them too...

7* 18' 44.47" S
72* 24' 55.43" E
Indrajit
BRFite

Post by Indrajit »

Do I see Fulcrums at Bareily? or are they Su-30Ks.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j82/i ... ilyAFS.jpg
Mihir
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Mihir »

The first one is a MiG-27. The rest look like MiG-29s
Kim

Post by Kim »

anurag_ver wrote: i flew at this airfield during training time, it is the civil aerodrome located in the cantt area next to the parachute factory and the railway line.it houses one flying school with a complement of 3 aircrafts and ncc .
Is it next to Wheeler's barracks , the huge barrack buildings numbered as P1, P2 and so on,and next P7 or P8? And glider flying was also done from here? And till 1966, the 4 GTS for airmen trg existed close by?
Himanshu
BRFite

Post by Himanshu »

Bareilly AFS has only Su-30 and Mig-25 (retired now)
rahuldevnath
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rahuldevnath »

Do I see Fulcrums at Bareily? or are they Su-30Ks.
All are Su-30Ks
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

I just came back to my high speed connection and..

Oh my god!!!! The pix of Kerala is only a few months old max. I can see a building that didn't exist 4 months ago.

Man, this IS scary
Sathish_A
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sathish_A »

Now this is even more worse. Just see the intentional mapping.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#y=22347536&x= ... 13&l=0&m=a

Essar is not mapped to the resolution as Reliance refinery. I smell a foul play and that too bad one. :eek: