Google Earth updates more cities and airports in India

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
MN Kumar
BRFite

Post by MN Kumar »

The small ground to the left looks like a Cricket ground wiht the pitch in the middle. The bigger one no idea, Golf Course? Maybe not, I think there seems to be some sort of a runway there.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Another clue - It was a former Indian Army battlefield not in this country :idea: though...
shyamm
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shyamm »

Jaffna University?
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

shyamm wrote:Jaffna University?
Bingo - the very same ground where the troops were helilifted into - the view is an almost exact 'representation' of the original black and white photo published in India Today - I will post that image later for comparision.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Jagan,

Can one see the houses where 10 para cdo infiltrated and held out ?
The Sikh LI platoon I believe never left the football ground:(
Jagan wrote:
shyamm wrote:Jaffna University?
Bingo - the very same ground where the troops were helilifted into - the view is an almost exact 'representation' of the original black and white photo published in India Today - I will post that image later for comparision.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

after watching Bhawk down carefully it seems the scattered presence of delta force members among the cut off rangers was instrumental in holding up the morale and providing 'mature leadership' - saving the hapless rangers from a really bad mauling.
would a mixed bag of para cdo & S-LI have made any difference ? did the units face similar numebers and weaponry of LTTE from similar level of cover?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

ooo,.. GE has the LoC marked in orange. check it with the boundaries option. did GoI raise objections?
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Here is the original photo from the india today article (bad quality)

and the site today (repeat)

The original picture incorrectly identified the smaller ground as the area where the sikhLI troops were landed. as we know now, they landed in the main ground along with the paracommandos.
Amogh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Amogh »

Can you post the coordinates please?
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Amogh wrote:Can you post the coordinates please?
I have it at home. Will post it by evening.

A faster way However - just turn the Google User community layer to "On" and you will see a placemark that says "Is this the Jaffna University area?" pop up. its exactly the same place.
aamod
BRFite -Trainee

Is the Sukoi 30 frm Lohegaon Air force BAse Pune??

Post by aamod »

rudradeep wrote:Harry those patches are most probably cloud cover.

Checking out 18o34' 42.15'' N 73o55' 12.02'' E reveals a line up of 7 Su-30s.

Also 18o35' 02.47'' N 73o55' 16.90'' E reveals a line up of 5 Jags.
aamod
BRFite -Trainee

Can anyone give me coordinates for srinagar AFB?? for google

Post by aamod »

Can anyone give me coordinates for srinagar AFB?? for google earth!!
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Amogh wrote:Can you post the coordinates please?
Amogh

Download this KMZ

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=544647 for the Jaffna Univ.

Aamod

Srinagar should not be too difficult to miss. Just go to Srinagar and look for the runway south of the city.
aamod
BRFite -Trainee

USAF Bases

Post by aamod »

i was just checkin out some directions on USAF bases in America... where they supposed to have spotted B2 bomber and F1 17A... night hawk........ but those google spotting were immediatedly updated.... where you cannot find those 2 aircrafts at all!! which were there on google earth earlier....

this all thanks to pressure tht was put on google by the US goverment or Army.....

i hope even other goverments too should act in the same way.... and our very own indian Goverment too
aamod
BRFite -Trainee

Carnicobar AFB

Post by aamod »

Check out Carnicobar AFB With houses the 118 Helicopter Unit

09 09' 11.51" N 092 49' 09.81" E

There i can see 2 helicopter .... MI- ? (looks like Mi 8 ) and a Transport Aircraft

I had heard tht Airforce was goin to opearte Sukhoi 30 from this base..... ?? So have they decided gainst it after Tsunami disaster??
Amogh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Amogh »

Thanks@Jagan.

HTH,

Amogh. :D
Rishirishi
BRFite

Post by Rishirishi »

I think the Aircrafts have secret location, that they are flown to, when there is a treat.

Also there is a warning time (do remember that paki cruise missiles (if they have such acurate ones) will take some time to reach the target. using balistic missiles, is very risky (as it may spark a nuclear confrontation). Besides, the balistic missiels are very expenisve and not accurate. can only take out 1 or 2 planes if lucky.

But of course, If they posess 100 effective cruise missiles (which are launched simontaniously) they could do imense damage.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Coalition against Google Earth
India will use diplomacy to counter the risk posed by high-resolution satellite images on Net
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Can this be spotted on Google Earth?

from Pioneer, 10/24/2006
Impact crater dating back to Vedic period

New Delhi

Indian geologists claim to have discovered a possible impact crater in Kutch district of Gujarat dating back to the Vedic period. The crater is suspected to have been formed by the impact of an extra-terrestrial object, is seen as a circular feature near Luna village in the northwestern Banni Plains of the Great Rann in Kutch district.

The site is located about a kilometre away from a human settlement belonging to the Harappan period and may have found reference in ancient Sanskrit texts, which mention the "impact of a burning extraterrestrial object" in western India some 4,000-5,000 years ago.
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

Mig spotted at Bhuj

Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

ramana wrote:Can this be spotted on Google Earth?
Look at 23:42:19/69:15:20
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Is it 23°44'15.43"N / 69°13'50.33"E ?? not clear though.. but are round in nature.. but it definitely does not look like for any theorist to say "some asteroid striked the rig vedic down" .. unless they can prove it to be part of a bigger asteroid hit in the himalayans, and this is just one of the debris.., that changing the flow of sarasvati river (the researches must focus in the himalyans .. not possible since OBL gang and paki guys have captured the exact places).

But this in Bangalore looks to me more a natural formation.. but totally destroyed by human habitat.. wonder what it is (any bangaloreans?).

12°52'15.30"N 77°37'20.82"E
rocky
BRFite

Post by rocky »

The meteor strike may not necessarily look like a nice round cup in the sand.

An example is the Charlevoix crater: http://www.unb.ca/passc/ImpactDatabase/ ... levoix.htm
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Are these coordinates of INS Kunjali-II, the naval airbase in Mumbai?

18°54'50.39"N 72°49'44.51"E
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant

<LookAt>
<longitude>77.71275374616285</longitude>
<latitude>8.169010787906421</latitude>
<range>531.5788170864011</range>
<tilt>9.453299606501638e-011</tilt>
<heading>-1.067545997212606</heading>
</LookAt>

<coordinates>77.71275374616285,8.169010787906421,0</coordinates>
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

ashdivay
BRFite

Post by ashdivay »

I would like to take this chance and point out to everyone here that all the pictures on Google Earth are atleast 12-24 months outdated !

After carefull examination of Hyderabad,Secunderabad,Gwalior and with help of my friends in Florida who examined thier local Surrounding areas.

We have concluded that the Imagary data is atleas 12-24 months old.
For Eg- The place where i live in Gwalior is only in its "Laying of foundation stage " in Google Earth , which was done more then 2 years ago.

However in the beigning i thought that data is updated on specific region when avilable. And since not every inch of earth's Image is readily avilable or made avilable it may not be possible to keep it upto date.

But as i examined my own parents house i realised that the boundry wall and the main gate is not visible in the Google earth. From this is concluded that the most of the data is outof date.

Further my Friends in Florida studied their own house and provided that even over there they were not able to see the phgysicle changes they had made to their house 6 months ago.

So thus i see Google Earth as just a tool that gives a average "Joe" a chance to feel like "CIA or KGB Spy" haha

but he does not know or does not have the time to look closer even in his own backyard to see what hes looking at is simply a toy and not a threat to National Security !

Regards
Ash
(Your Friendly SRR Nonsense Buster) - Just kiddin Guys !

Got questions Shoot me a line at - ashdivay at gmail dot com
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

welcome late-latif (in hyderabad lingo) - we have known that all the time :D
RonyKJ
BRFite

Post by RonyKJ »

Does anyone have access to the subscription version of Google Earth?
Wondering if the paid version has better resolution.
ashdivay
BRFite

Post by ashdivay »

Jagan wrote:welcome late-latif (in hyderabad lingo) - we have known that all the time :D
Haha kya miya kya bata karteee ? Just kiddin...

So yall knew great , next time i am posting as i find out stuff ,insted of putting stuff off for later like i did with posting this as i was off for 2 months to take a nice holiday in Lasha...

but anyway nice too know yall are still around.

Cheerioo !
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

ashdivay wrote:
Jagan wrote:welcome late-latif (in hyderabad lingo) - we have known that all the time :D
Haha kya miya kya bata karteee ? Just kiddin...
!
bas, aiseyeech. :)
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

project seabird, karwar ... man that is one impressive piece of landmark in the IN... wish we could see some real warships there.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

ashdivay wrote:I would like to take this chance and point out to everyone here that all the pictures on Google Earth are atleast 12-24 months outdated !
Have you cleared your cache and reloaded?

I can see my car where I parked it for 6 hours yesterday - ... ooops - its gone now - today's images have appeared.

:)
Rohit_K
BRFite

Post by Rohit_K »

shiv wrote:
ashdivay wrote:I would like to take this chance and point out to everyone here that all the pictures on Google Earth are atleast 12-24 months outdated !

I can see my car where I parked it for 6 hours yesterday - ... ooops - its gone now - today's images have appeared.

Clearing the cache and reloading didnt update maps for both US and Delhi..
Mihir
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Mihir »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Nalla Baalu
BRFite

Post by Nalla Baalu »

Rohit_K wrote:
shiv wrote: :)
Clearing the cache and reloading didnt update maps for both US and Delhi..
You forgot to restart the laptop/desktop while holding it titled at 45 deg to the horizontal. Just like you do to Bajaj Chetak's. That should make imagery real-time like!

Admin was having fun onlee! You missed the smiley. Guess it should have been :P.
ashdivay
BRFite

Post by ashdivay »

shiv wrote:

I would like to ask you Sir , was your car parked on the same spot it has been parked for 1 or 2 years ? Unlesss you have changed your car how can you say for sure that image is not 12 months old ???
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
shaardula
BRF Oldie

Post by shaardula »

please to be checking the digital coverage tabs for exact dates of images onlee.

GE buys ~ 18km x 18km image blocks and typically updates parts of a globe at regular intervals. However the update rates are not uniform for all cities.
Some places images are older and in some you can keep an eye on your parked car. :)

last GE updates in early Oct has 6 mos old images for some cities.
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

Bhailogon, shivji was pulling y'alls leg, and you guys are taking it so seriously.