The IAF History Thread

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

IN Firefly TT Mk-4 INS-118,119 and 120 at Sharjah during an overnight stop on 12 December 1958 while on delivery flight status to India

Here’s an update for the BR Navy site, if needed:

“In 1953, the IN found that they had a requirement for an aircraft for an aircraft capable of providing target towing duties. The market and supply in this field was relatively small, the most successful one they found, being the Fairey Firefly Mk 1. After contact with Fairey, an order for five Firefly TT Mk 1 aircraft was placed.

Fairey bought the five Fireflies back from the Admiralty and these were transferred from the holding station, RNAS Anthorn, to Firefly’s Hamble factory for conversion. The Five machines were delivered during June-July 1954, and became:

INS111 DK566
INS112 DK477
INS 113 PP488
INS114 DK479
INS115 DK552

The conversions were completed early in 1955 and delivered in two batches, the first two, INS111 and 113, being delivered on 5 February and the other five on 12 April 1955.

The five aircraft were used by No. 550 Squadron based at Cochin for target towing and other fleet requirement duties.

By 1956, spares were becoming a problem and the aircraft were being fully utilized, so it was decided to acquire some more. Although Firefly Mk-1s were still around, it was decided that the later mark of the the Firefly would be more suitable and Fairey sold them five Firefly TT Mk-4 aircraft. The five Mk-4s were all received at Ringway during May 1957 for conversion. These became:

INS116 VG964
INS117 VG985
INS118 TW749
INS119 VH128
INS120 VG980

The first two Firefly TT4s for the Indian Navy were handed over to Lt-Cdr M. G. Shriklande at Ringway on 2 September 1958. The following day two Airwork ferry crews took off for India flying through Bahrain on the 9TH. The other three left on 17 December, passing through Bahrain on the 20TH. All five joined the TT-1s at Cochin and were used until wear and lack of supplies gradually grounded them. Nine were sold for scrap and one set aside for the Indian Naval Museum at Cochin. â€
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Jagan, this image is credited to the IAF itself in the musty old book I found gathering dust. I believe you have a small thumbnail size image of the first aircraft in your gallery, but not the whole picture which shows two, not one aircraft in formation. Think you might want to update that gallery with this image...

-Vivek
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

An Indian Auster AOP-9, IN757, seen during take off from an unknown forward location on an Aerial Observation and Control sortie.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

An IAF Otter.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

The HT-2 supplied to the Royal Singapore Flying Club
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

The HAOP-27 Krishak. This is a very rare image, as the date of the source where I found it from reveals...

A brief history of this particular aircraft is in order here:

“Work on a light two-seat aircraft of conventional high-wing layout was started by the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited at Bangalore, India, during 1958, with the objective of producing a general purpose aircraft for club or military use. The result, called the Pushpak, flew for the first time on September 28, 1958 and a production batch of 70 was put in hand.

In parallel with development of the Pushpak, HAL began work on a larger version called the Krishak, powered by a 190 h.p. Continental engine. The prototype (BR-459) first flew in November 1959 and the second Krishak (BR-460) followed a year later.

"The Krishak normally carried a pilot and two or three passengers. For operation in the AOP role, the Krishak was ordered into production in 1963 with a contract for 30 for the IA, designated HAOP-27.â€
Last edited by vivek_ahuja on 29 Jan 2008 03:04, edited 1 time in total.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Another set of rare images dug out by yours truly...

This is the prototype IAF Kanpur-I

And this is the Kanpur-II

A brief history of these two vintage beauties:

“Personnel at the IAF Maintenance Command Development Centre at Kanpur designed and built the prototype of a four-seat light utility aircraft in less than five months. Its design was directed by Air Vice Marshal Harjinder Singh, who is Air Officer Commanding-In-Chief at the Kanpur Depot, which is responsible for production in India of the HS-748. (Vivek’s 2008 Note: The wording states the person as being active on duty at the time it was written!!!)

“The light plane, powered by a 190 h.p. Lycoming engine, was known as the Kanpur-1. Only one prototype was built, but this was followed in October 1961 by a second prototype called the Kanpur-II. Powered by a 250 h.p. Lycoming O-540A1B5 engine, the Kanpur-II included a number of refinements and this version was expected to be put into production for the IAF.

“The Kanpur is a conventional high-wing strut-braced monoplane with accommodation for a pilot and three passenger. Provision has been made for crop-spraying equipment to be carried and external fuel tanks can be fitted on the wing bracing struts.â€
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Vivek, those are some great pics - the Kanpur, Otter and the B24 are first class. The B24 is good enough to read the serial off it. Will add some of them tonight.

The Kanpur especially is a very rare pic.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

the Kanpur, Otter and the B24 are first class. The B24 is good enough to read the serial off it. Will add some of them tonight.

Thank you saar. It feels good to be appreciated for the effort taken.

This reminds me, did you decide on whether that NRSA thingy I mentioned some time back is worth the effort or not for an Article on BR?

Also, do you need any further help on the bunch of Images I had sent you earlier?

-Vivek
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Vivek, Wait on the NRSA thingy for now. I had sometime ago sent you a mail on the pics - but it bounced back. Let me send you that email and try my luck.

For the rest of the IAF historian birather (I hope I said it right) - look what i found while trawling the net

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR9bmQ-DfrY

IAF attacks on Tezgaon Air Field 4th Dec 71 - Color Footage! Hunters, MiGs, Sukhois flying real low over Dacca - A Sukhoi-7 being shot down, Mig flying low.. ITN footage
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Jagan wrote:Vivek, Wait on the NRSA thingy for now. I had sometime ago sent you a mail on the pics - but it bounced back. Let me send you that email and try my luck.
Okay.
For the rest of the IAF historian birather (I hope I said it right) - look what i found while trawling the net

IAF attacks on Tezgaon Air Field 4th Dec 71 - Color Footage! Hunters, MiGs, Sukhois flying real low over Dacca - A Sukhoi-7 being shot down, Mig flying low.. ITN footage
Holy cow!!! :shock:
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Anyway, while this Christmas exchange of gifts is going on...

This is the fourth Indian Gnat just before delivery...
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPvi50785dU

Another clip from youtube showing MIG21s firing rockets over Dacca - and a british journalist describing what happened inside. (I suspect this is Gavin Young of the observer). Check the other clips uploaded by the same user.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

A true first for me at least was this particularly enjoyable view. You be the judge...

Note for Jagan: Saar, please check your mail.

-Vivek
Abhibhushan
BRFite

Post by Abhibhushan »

Jagan had asked
Whats the story / caption of the Harvard and Hurricanes picture?
From the mix of aircraft, the most lkely locale for the photo is No 1 SFTS Ambala in 1949 / 1950. Jagan could ask one of the veterans in IAF
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Jagan wrote:Vivek, Wait on the NRSA thingy for now. I had sometime ago sent you a mail on the pics - but it bounced back. Let me send you that email and try my luck.

Jagan garu - there is a small error in the title (or text) of the video. It is dated 4th Dec but the text says "closing stages of the war". The latter is probably wrong - so the text needs correction
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Abhibhushan wrote:Jagan had asked
Whats the story / caption of the Harvard and Hurricanes picture?
From the mix of aircraft, the most lkely locale for the photo is No 1 SFTS Ambala in 1949 / 1950. Jagan could ask one of the veterans in IAF
Actually, I had given the quotes for the Pic. Refer my previous posts:
Well, I was reading through some stuff on the RAF hurricanes in the far eastern theater and came across the Pic. Apparently the Pic shows the Hurricanes of No. 1 Operational Training Unit, Peshawar, in 1943. But the Harvards were IAF machines.

There was also some stuff on the IAF Tac-R Hurricanes, especially the No. 9 Squadron (IAF) when it began to conduct operations from Silchar and Palel in March to June of 1944. I am trying at this time to see what is already available on BR and what can be added to it...
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

Vivek,

Thanks for the pictures !
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Its a MiG-19 from one US-PAF exercises AFAIK
vivek_ahuja wrote:Image

A true first for me at least was this particularly enjoyable view. You be the judge...

-Vivek
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Aditya G wrote:Its a MiG-19 from one US-PAF exercises AFAIK
Unfortunately I did not find any quotes with the photograph other than the description of the aircraft itself. Although I find it odd that Mig-19s were in an exercise with the USAF, can you please confirm the source? If it is in fact the image you suggested, I will remove the image from this thread...

Thanks

-Vivek
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

IAF Operations in the Congo:

Ground Support Operations for the UN

The Indian air force's combat involvement in the Congo began in 1961 with the initiation of the buildup for Operation ‘Morthor’ by the ONUC (l’Organization des Nations Unies au Congo) Ground forces, designed to eliminate the FAK (Force Aerienne Katangaise) threat on the ground.

“Late in September 1962, Four Ethiopian Air Force (EAF) F-86Fs were sent to Leopoldville, where they were joined by six IAF Canberra B(I).58s of 5 Squadron on 9 October 1961 with ground crews being transported from Agra in four USAF C-124s. On 5 October five ex-F10 J-29s of the Swedish Air Force also arrived…

“Throughout November, Indian troops held the airfields at Elisabethville and Kamina…

“From 5 December the IAF Canberras attacked the airfields at Jadotville and Kolwezi, destroying two Do-28s, a DC-3, a DC-4, a Dove and the sole remaining Magister. On 7 December the attacks turned to the communications centres in Elisabethville, notably the post office and the radio station. Daily the Canberras struck at Katangese troops concentrations and at buildings in the provincial capital. At Kolwezi a Union Mineiere Fuel store was set ablaze…

“By 18 December, Elisabethville was in UN control, but heavy fighting continued around Kongolo to the north…â€
Last edited by vivek_ahuja on 02 Feb 2008 01:19, edited 1 time in total.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

We had discussed the image on ACIG forum once a few years back.
vivek_ahuja wrote:
Unfortunately I did not find any quotes with the photograph other than the description of the aircraft itself. Although I find it odd that Mig-19s were in an exercise with the USAF, can you please confirm the source? If it is in fact the image you suggested, I will remove the image from this thread...

Thanks

-Vivek
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Adityas right. The pic is from the a PAF Vs USAF exercise . USAF was flying F-15s
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

The excercise was most probably Shahbaz 78. When the PAF MIRAGE III and MiG-19 went up against F-15 of USAF.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 0750670800

Indian Air Force Video on Air Commodore Mehar Singh - By Wg Cdr A S Bedi
vsunder
BRFite

Post by vsunder »

Excellent find Jagan. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

Jagan wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPvi50785dU

Another clip from youtube showing MIG21s firing rockets over Dacca - and a british journalist describing what happened inside. (I suspect this is Gavin Young of the observer). Check the other clips uploaded by the same user.
Jagan, what a find!!
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

A slap across the face of the BBC interviewers pious grandstanding. These BBC turds will always remain the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKiQboyDMUo

The comparison to Hitler was well made. Well done Mrs Gandhi.
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

vivek_ahuja wrote:
the Kanpur, Otter and the B24 are first class. The B24 is good enough to read the serial off it. Will add some of them tonight.

Thank you saar. It feels good to be appreciated for the effort taken.

This reminds me, did you decide on whether that NRSA thingy I mentioned some time back is worth the effort or not for an Article on BR?

Also, do you need any further help on the bunch of Images I had sent you earlier?

-Vivek
You have one more flag in your corner then!! Well done, I am visiting this thread after ages and your images got me boggle eyed. :shock:

The HAL ones (in fact all of them) are priceless.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

If you have the same legends VCD then it should also have the feature on Jumbo Majumdar. I wonder there are plans on a follow-on VCD on some of the other greats.
Jagan wrote:http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 0750670800

Indian Air Force Video on Air Commodore Mehar Singh - By Wg Cdr A S Bedi
Baljeet
BRFite

Post by Baljeet »

vivek_ahuja wrote:Image

-Vivek
Marvelous picture. It will be a delightful experience and a smashing feeling when Paki planes will in the sight of Tejas just like the picture shows on western front, similar fate awaits Bundaar on eastern front.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

A look at C589...
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Prototype Marut after the rollout...
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

edited...
Last edited by vivek_ahuja on 19 Feb 2008 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

An IAF Hunter in flight...
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

A poor size image of a IAF Mystere (IA 1012)...
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

This IAF Gnat-1 (XN122) was evaluated by the RAF for use in the ground attack role...
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

hmm seems to be coincidence that there is a hawker hunter with serial A1012 (now mounted on a pole near Hyatt Regency hotel, New Delhi)
vivek_ahuja wrote:
A poor size image of a IAF Mystere (IA 1012)...
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

A little bit of history from the 1971 war....the american perspective on the incident when Arun Prakash (then a mere Lt. deputed to IAF) blasted Chuck Yeager's beechcraft to smithereens during the 1971 war....an amusing read.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... ai_3959887