Indian Army History Thread

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Army History Thread

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

dinesh_kimar wrote:On This day, fifty years ago, the GOC of 17 Mountain Division, Lt. Gen. Sagat Singh (then a Major General) disobeyed orders and refused to vacate the strategic Nathu La pass in Sikkim, as demanded by the Chinese......and agreed to by certain Indian "higher ups".

At the time, India was not a nuclear power (though China was !), and had recently suffered a humiliating defeat in Chinese hands.More importantly, Gen. Sagat Singh did not have support from his Corps Commander. Undeterred, he carefully positioned his Infantry and artillery assets, ensured proper communication of his various field units (VK's excellent Blog),briefed and mobilized the men under his command...............and hit the Chinese!!!

The Chinese soon joined in an ugly battle.However in the face of the well prepared and brave Indian Soldiers of 17th Mountain Division (Jats, Rajputs and Gurkhas) , the Chinese suffered about 300 causalities and eventually called a cease fire. They realized that the Indian Army was no push over.

For his tenacity, stubbornness, and for doing the right thing for his country though his bosses did not support him, a thousand pranams from me to the great soul, one of India's boldest and most innovative soldiers', Lt. Gen. Sagat Singh.
Dinesh, my thanks for posting this. You have recounted one small aspect of what Gen Sagat Singh did. He was one of the main architects of the 71 victory - against orders again ! http://www.rediff.com/news/special/gene ... 161208.htm

He is one of India's legendary generals including PS Bhagat, Harbaksh Singh, Hanut Singh who not only scripted brilliant victories but were men of such high moral fibre and total commitment that even today they are revered. None of them got their due - Bhagat due to the government and the other two due to jealous superiors. Hanut sir and Sagat sir were our finest battlefield commanders bar none. Our country was the looser. Do read up on them and post links on them on this thread.

Quiz - in which operation did Gen Sagat Singh lead a brigade and again in a lightning strike - his trademark.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Another quiz - the Corps Commander who castigated Gen Sagat Singh for his action in NEFA also ended up superseding one of the most popular and most capable Generals we have ever produced. Name both.
Anoop
BRFite

Post by Anoop »

Lt. Gen. Jagjit Aurora was the Corps Commander at the time. I dont know who he superseded.
Anoop
BRFite

Post by Anoop »

Liberation of Goa
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Anoop wrote:Liberation of Goa
Correct on Goa. Wrong on Gen Aurora. It was Gen Bewoor who advocated retreat in face of Chinese and thankfully Sagat sir disobeyed and we did not loose NathuLa. Later Bewoor took over as chief instead of Gen Bhagat. A great shame and a shock to all.
Anoop
BRFite

Post by Anoop »

Sir,

The Wiki page on Gen. Bewoor says he was Dy Chief from 1967 to 1969, although he was previously Corps Commander of 33 Corps. An article on the 1967 Nathu La episide in the CLAWS journal in 2014 mentions Gen Aurora as being the Corps Commander at the time of the incident.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Hmmm but Gen Veekays book clearly mentions Gen Bewoor as Corps Commander. Some more investigation needed perhaps ? Why don’t you do so and educate all of us.
Anoop
BRFite

Post by Anoop »

https://www.bharat-rakshak.com/ARMY/per ... ewoor.html

Page 144 mentions Lt. Gen Aurora as being the Corps Commander and the two even crossing the border during an inspection. This article, also by Gen V K Singh, suggests that the casualties in the action might have soured their relationship, though Gen Aurora was supportive of the decision to stand firm at Nathu La.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... RVszp87_ye
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

http://veekay-militaryhistory.blogspot. ... 4.html?m=1

Read this fully, it will clear everything. Bewoor was Corps Cmdr first and ordered withdrawal from Jep La and Nathu La. Nathu La was under Sagat Singh’s DIV and he refused. They attacked and he responded. The other Div had withdrawn and Jep La was lost for ever. Bewoor was furious and censured Gen Sagat Singh. Gen Aurora then relieved Bewoor who had moved on to his new posting and suggested demarcation and offered to walk to see if they would contest or not.

Point is clear the best battlefield commander of the Indian Army ever saved our bacon in 67 and then again in 71 but did not get his due because of Bewoor and others. Read Gen Sinha’s book as well. He specifically says this as well and expresses anguish but doesn’t take names. PS Bhagat would have been perhaps the finest Chief - VC, battle experience and tremendous intellect and loyalty from troops and next in line after Sam. Whole army was in shock when games were played and he wasn’t made chief. Bewoor had nothing to his credit.
dinesh_kimar
BRFite

Post by dinesh_kimar »

^ Gen. Sagat probably pioneered joint IA-IAF Ops. He was one of first commanders to use helicopters in warfare , and transports as bombers (DH-4 Caribou).
Anoop
BRFite

Post by Anoop »

Thank you Sir.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

dinesh_kimar wrote:^ Gen. Sagat probably pioneered joint IA-IAF Ops. He was one of first commanders to use helicopters in warfare , and transports as bombers (DH-4 Caribou).
Yes the air bridge over the Meghna. Deejay can tell you more.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Is it true that Gen Sagat Singh took (and completed) the paratrooper course at 40 years of age?
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Aditya G wrote:Is it true that Gen Sagat Singh took (and completed) the paratrooper course at 40 years of age?
Over 40 years. Yes. He did two jumps a day to accelerate the process. He was made CMDR of Para Bde and felt he had to do this to earn respect of the troops.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

A village in Andhra Pradesh that has contributed soldiers since WWI to Indian Army.

Please watch and share the pride.

https://twitter.com/CyberCoolee/status/ ... 4756461569
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

ramana wrote:A village in Andhra Pradesh that has contributed soldiers since WWI to Indian Army.

Please watch and share the pride.

https://twitter.com/CyberCoolee/status/ ... 4756461569
Good to know, always wondered lack of south Indian martial races such as Thevars, Nairs in AP.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Kartik, did you mean AP specifically ? In case you were wondering about the South in general there is a huge and growing number of officers from South India in the army espeiclly the infantry. I noticed this trend a long time ago and have wondered about this for some time. Just as an anecdote read all the citations for KC, AC in the last 20 years.

Ramana sir great link. Thanks. I’m thirsty to see the full video.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Ramana sir, I was thinking it might be worth making attempts to use this thread to link current Indian army to its real ancestors - Indian empires like the Cholas, Vijaynagar, Sikhs, Marathas etc. For example 9 Grenadiers is the 1st Mewar Infantry with an unbroken history from 1300. I’m sure we will find lots of such nuggets if we search.

What do you think sir ?
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Dinesh Kumar, I was having a chat with Gen Satish Satpute the other day. He was GOC 21 Corps during Parakram. The talk veered to Gen Sagat Singh and he told me he was 2lt in 17 Div when Gen Sagat Singh was Div Commander. Btw Anoop be confirmed Bewoor was Corps Commander though he said he doesn’t remember an order to withdraw. Anyway he was full of praise for Sagat Singh and said he used to speak to even officers like him and he found it very motivating. He was a true offensive general.

I also told him that I was a big fan of Gen Hanut and he said I haven’t worked with him but everyone I’ve ever spoken to has only said great things about him. That’s how legends live for ever - in hearts of people.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:Ramana sir, I was thinking it might be worth making attempts to use this thread to link current Indian army to its real ancestors - Indian empires like the Cholas, Vijaynagar, Sikhs, Marathas etc. For example 9 Grenadiers is the 1st Mewar Infantry with an unbroken history from 1300. I’m sure we will find lots of such nuggets if we search.

What do you think sir ?

I agree whole heartedly.

I have Maj Sarbans Singh's book Battle Honors of Indian Army that traces regimental histories of BIA and State Forces.

I wish BRF was more web friendly so we could share the pictures easily.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Karthik S wrote: Good to know, always wondered lack of south Indian martial races such as Thevars, Nairs in AP.
Karthik san. Please pardon me but there are some things we users of this imported tongue English need to understand.

There is no such thing as martial race. There are no naturally martial tendencies in humans. The term martial race was used by the British, among other things to chamcha-ify and to make jackasses out of tribes who would fight well for and die for the British in exchange for praise and privileges. These sad delusions were proven wrong by the vicious fighting of the Mukti Bahini and of Tamils in Sri Lanka.

I request you not to use that term again. There are however, people with long martial traditions like the Gurkhas. In Karnataka the Kodavas (Coorgis) have a strong martial tradition. Gen Thimmaiah and Gen Cariappa were Kodavas
dinesh_kimar
BRFite

Post by dinesh_kimar »

^ AK Sir, you are right. However, being an army brat, I request we not talk negatively abt fellow Officers (Gen. Bewoor) . As one poster said, no more blue-on-blue.
The situation , as i understand , was something like this.

After 1962 war defeat, the IA had opened its eyes to a possible 2 front war. In 1962, the situation was one of utter confusion. Proper planning and positioning of troops for strong defensive posture was not done at all. The IA, after 1962, diligently put to use various "Lessons Learnt" and "SOPs". One such SOP went something like this:
In event of Chinese hostilities in Sikkim - Nathu La sector, IA would vacate the Nathu La and Jelep La posts and fall back to their Division HQs. The 2 posts were considered "forward observation posts", and not core divisional "AOR".

In 1965 War,the Chinese made threatening noises, and IA HQ issued fall back orders to 17th Div (Nathu La) and 27th Div(Jelep La). The 27th Div likewise vacated Jelep La, and this was "promptly occupied by the Chinese". Gen. Sagat Singh , however, kept his cool and the rest is history. (Here, one can imagine the plight of the mango abdul, being threatened by the Chinese, recently victorious in 1962, 10 ft tall and a nuclear power to boot. The only Indian heroes on could look upto for inspiration were horse riding swordsmen from 200 + years ago. Apparently, even the horses were imported. Heroes always existed in various wars, but until the advent of Bharat Rakshak, were a well kept government secret. The Indian psyche for a hero is something like "so-and so already did something in xxx time, even i must live upto and deliver this standard".)

As I have read, Gen. Bewoor was Corps Commander from 1964-66, and Gen. JS Arora from 1966 onwards. The skirmish in 1967 had Gen Arora as Corps commander. (Both these generals were furious with Gen Sagat Singh for not following SOPs in place and falling back.)
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

shiv wrote:
Karthik S wrote: Good to know, always wondered lack of south Indian martial races such as Thevars, Nairs in AP.
Karthik san. Please pardon me but there are some things we users of this imported tongue English need to understand.

There is no such thing as martial race. There are no naturally martial tendencies in humans. The term martial race was used by the British, among other things to chamcha-ify and to make jackasses out of tribes who would fight well for and die for the British in exchange for praise and privileges. These sad delusions were proven wrong by the vicious fighting of the Mukti Bahini and of Tamils in Sri Lanka.

I request you not to use that term again. There are however, people with long martial traditions like the Gurkhas. In Karnataka the Kodavas (Coorgis) have a strong martial tradition. Gen Thimmaiah and Gen Cariappa were Kodavas
Although I meant martial traditions just like you gave example of the Gurkhas, a doubt in this regard, so people with centuries of martial traditions don't become martial race? So are the vikings, samurai etc can't be called martial race but just people with martial traditions? Don't genetics come into play in this regard like generations of war fighting has to have some effect on the "race/genetics".
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Karthik S wrote:
Although I meant martial traditions just like you gave example of the Gurkhas, a doubt in this regard, so people with centuries of martial traditions don't become martial race? So are the vikings, samurai etc can't be called martial race but just people with martial traditions? Don't genetics come into play in this regard like generations of war fighting has to have some effect on the "race/genetics".
You can dismiss the genetics part. The genes don't change because of job done. Besides - if you look at the genetics principle of "survival of the fittest" what happens in war is that the fittest and bravest die and their genes are wasted, The infirm and old remain behind and reproduce with excess women - it is their genes being passed on. Yet the same populations produce warriors. So don't bring genetics into the picture here. If people have been tasked with collecting and cleaning nightsoil (feces/shit) for generations - do they become a "race of shit collectors"? They do not. Generations of fishermen do no make genetic fishermen.

Race is a racist term which has been thrown around a lot by our colonial masters. Very recently the government has removed a law that existed in our law books that recognized "criminal races". So the police - when tasked with finding a criminal - would arrest an entire village. This is documented by late Sankaran Nair - ex RAW director in his autobiography.

There is an interesting irony here. All the martial races of India were uniformly defeated by the British with their technology and ability to co-opt Indians by telling them that they are great warriors - so more Indians died fighting for the Brits while the Brits laughed all the way to the bank. Not once did they call themselves a martial race while they ruled the world. That was because the idea was fake. Race was convenient when it suited them and ignored when it was inconvenient.

Vikings were uncultured killers like modern day jihadis. Samurai were special forces, discipline and training. Neither were "martial races"
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

OT :
samurai were a warrior class, not unlike kshatriyas in India.
ninjas have more of a claim being SF like, but their historicity is doubtful.

fact : the bruts removed some 'races' from list of martial races after people from those regions rebelled in 1857. the current martial race list is a list of those that stood with the bruts during 1857.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

shiv wrote:
Karthik S wrote:
You can dismiss the genetics part. The genes don't change because of job done. Besides - if you look at the genetics principle of "survival of the fittest" what happens in war is that the fittest and bravest die and their genes are wasted, The infirm and old remain behind and reproduce with excess women - it is their genes being passed on. Yet the same populations produce warriors. So don't bring genetics into the picture here. If people have been tasked with collecting and cleaning nightsoil (feces/shit) for generations - do they become a "race of shit collectors"? They do not. Generations of fishermen do no make genetic fishermen.

Race is a racist term which has been thrown around a lot by our colonial masters. Very recently the government has removed a law that existed in our law books that recognized "criminal races". So the police - when tasked with finding a criminal - would arrest an entire village. This is documented by late Sankaran Nair - ex RAW director in his autobiography.

There is an interesting irony here. All the martial races of India were uniformly defeated by the British with their technology and ability to co-opt Indians by telling them that they are great warriors - so more Indians died fighting for the Brits while the Brits laughed all the way to the bank. Not once did they call themselves a martial race while they ruled the world. That was because the idea was fake. Race was convenient when it suited them and ignored when it was inconvenient.

Vikings were uncultured killers like modern day jihadis. Samurai were special forces, discipline and training. Neither were "martial races"
OK, this is getting OT but to end this:

Wasn't the example I was looking at. To put it differently, if few generations of a particular group is used to do physical work also has good access to food, they'd definitely be physically more fitter than others. Ex, icelandic and scandanevian people win World's strongest man competition more often than other countries despite having combined population less than that of Delhi. Similar story with the Samoans etc. Instead of nightsoil example, we can take this regarding genetics.

Regarding your "fittest and bravest die", you are mostly talking about last stand, if you look at victorious cases such as Genghis Khan, how many descendants he'd be having now? The remaining Pashtuns, Sikhs, Gurkhas etc can't be called descendants of weak lineage as they were all defeated at some point in time by some other forces, but still they are still associated with good war fighting skills. Is it just because of their warrior tradition or because they are physically and mentally capable of fierce fighting that other population groups may not be able to do so.

I understand your "race theory" of britards, same was mentioned by Hitler about his own population. But with above statements am not putting up an argument. I am trying to understand more from evolution/biological point of view rather than political about a human group/tribe (just not to use the word "race") that is more capable of war fighting than other groups/tribes.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

dinesh_kimar wrote:^ AK Sir, you are right. However, being an army brat, I request we not talk negatively abt fellow Officers (Gen. Bewoor) . As one poster said, no more blue-on-blue.
The situation , as i understand , was something like this.

After 1962 war defeat, the IA had opened its eyes to a possible 2 front war. In 1962, the situation was one of utter confusion. Proper planning and positioning of troops for strong defensive posture was not done at all. The IA, after 1962, diligently put to use various "Lessons Learnt" and "SOPs". One such SOP went something like this:
In event of Chinese hostilities in Sikkim - Nathu La sector, IA would vacate the Nathu La and Jelep La posts and fall back to their Division HQs. The 2 posts were considered "forward observation posts", and not core divisional "AOR".

In 1965 War,the Chinese made threatening noises, and IA HQ issued fall back orders to 17th Div (Nathu La) and 27th Div(Jelep La). The 27th Div likewise vacated Jelep La, and this was "promptly occupied by the Chinese". Gen. Sagat Singh , however, kept his cool and the rest is history. (Here, one can imagine the plight of the mango abdul, being threatened by the Chinese, recently victorious in 1962, 10 ft tall and a nuclear power to boot. The only Indian heroes on could look upto for inspiration were horse riding swordsmen from 200 + years ago. Apparently, even the horses were imported. Heroes always existed in various wars, but until the advent of Bharat Rakshak, were a well kept government secret. The Indian psyche for a hero is something like "so-and so already did something in xxx time, even i must live upto and deliver this standard".)

As I have read, Gen. Bewoor was Corps Commander from 1964-66, and Gen. JS Arora from 1966 onwards. The skirmish in 1967 had Gen Arora as Corps commander. (Both these generals were furious with Gen Sagat Singh for not following SOPs in place and falling back.)
Dinesh I don't believe I have talked negative about Gen Bewoor. All I said was that he was lack lustre and was the wrong choice as COAS and was wrong as GOC 33 Corps. We lost Jep La and thank God for a thorough professional like Gen Sagat Singh that we retained Nathu La. I will be even more careful in how I word my statements and will ensure I refer to officers by their rank but a serious and unbiased analysis of military history is essential for us to learn the right lessons.

Our finest commanders Gens Sagat Singh and Hanut Singh did not become Army Commanders forget Army Chiefs , Gens Bhagat and Sinha also didn't become chiefs both because of the government. The loss is ours as a people.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Another point SOP is not meant to apply to tactical decisions by formation commanders but to day to day operating issues. If you talk about SOP what we did in Kargil was gross violation. Please show me the SOP which says entrenched enemy defences on top of high peaks should be assulated I'm frontal assaults. We should have cut off their supply lines no ? So let's not let a Corps Commander hide under SOP.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Give me a body of any rural Indians with a strong roots in their culture and give me a few years and enough good ustaads to train them and I will give you a fine fighting force.

The ingredients for a great fighting force are - our culture and spiritual bedrock, motivation , leadership, winning habit, decent pay and assured welfare of families and izzat of the profession. The Brits picked out people who naturally had the first and then used the other ingredients to build the finest army in the world and used it for their needs. They started with the poorviah soldiers - brahmins of east and the south indians to take on the Rajputs and Marathas. Then they used the Rajputs and Marathas against the Sikhs and then Sikhs against others. Caste is a British corruption of jaati via the caste census. Our scriptures are clear - karma is superior and should be in the ambit of dharma.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Karthik S wrote: Is it just because of their warrior tradition or because they are physically and mentally capable of fierce fighting that other population groups may not be able to do so.
It is the tradition that makes people eat and exercise properly and be mentally prepared for fighting. Nothing to do with genes. Or "race"

Nowadays any young and fit volunteer can be tuned to be a good soldier. He is imbued with the martial tradition of his army unit during his training.

Please do watch this video
Maratha Light Infantry regt training
https://youtu.be/CpJ8M62mVnQ
See how they look when they start and what they become. These men will give Scandinavian bodybuilder models a run for their money
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

This gene stuff is baseless Kartik ji. Tradition and culture do have a bearing. In our case all our people are pretty good fighting material.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

shiv wrote:
Karthik S wrote: Is it just because of their warrior tradition or because they are physically and mentally capable of fierce fighting that other population groups may not be able to do so.
It is the tradition that makes people eat and exercise properly and be mentally prepared for fighting. Nothing to do with genes. Or "race"

Nowadays any young and fit volunteer can be tuned to be a good soldier. He is imbued with the martial tradition of his army unit during his training.

Please do watch this video
Maratha Light Infantry regt training
https://youtu.be/CpJ8M62mVnQ
See how they look when they start and what they become. These men will give Scandinavian bodybuilder models a run for their money
Thanks Shiv ji for making this clear.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Akshay Kapoor wrote:This gene stuff is baseless Kartik ji. Tradition and culture do have a bearing. In our case all our people are pretty good fighting material.
Thanks Akshay sir.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Here is link to USI journal archives. I suggest going thorugh the titles atleast from 1922.
We see the subjects they were interested in and gradual rise in rank of some officers.

http://usiofindia.org/Publications/Journal/
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

the believers in gene theory got a rude wake up call by LTTE .... the sambar/idli eating LTTE gave all including roti/boti eating,long beards, long moustaches a very very hard time...
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

An excellent book at tells the Behind The scenes by Maj. Gen Jogindar Singh.

If you are in India please buy this book.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Aksahy Please read the excerpts and get the book on your next rip.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

PIB Release:

Official History of Indian Armed Forces

Posted On: 07 MAR 2018 3:10PM by PIB Delhi

Government has released the official history of the Indian Armed Forces participation in wars, the details of which are as under:-

Publications of Official History of Indian Armed Forces in World War-II

•The Retreat from Burma 1941-42.
•The Reconquest of Burma 1942; Vol.I.
•The Reconquest of Burma 1944-45; Vol.II
•The Arakan Operations 1942-45.
•Campaigns in South East Asia 1941-42.
•Campaign in Western Asia.
•The North African Campaigns 1940-43.
•East African Campaign 1940-41.
•The Campaign in Italy 1943-45.
•India and the War.
•Expansion of the Armed Forces and Defence Organisation 1939-45.
•Defence of India-Policy & Plans.
•Post-War Occupation Forces: Japan & South East Asia.
•Technical Services: Ordnance & IEME (Indian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers).
•The Corps of Engineers 1939-47.
•Indian War Economy.
•The Royal Indian Navy 1939-45.
•History of the Indian Air Force 1933-45.
•Administration (Medical Services).
•Medical Surgery and Pathology (Medical Services).
•The Campaigns in the Western Theatre (Medical Services).
•Campaigns in the Eastern Theatre (Medical Services).
•Preventive Medicine (Medical Services).
•Statistics (Medical Services).
•Medical Stores and Equipment (Medical Services).

Publications of Official History of Indian Armed Forces During the Post Independence Period

•Operation Polo – The Police Action Against Hyderabad, 1948.
•Operation Vijay – The Liberation of Goa and other Portuguese Colonies in India, 1961.
•The Congo Operation, 1960-63.
•History of the Custodian Force (India) in Korea, 1953-54.
•History of Operations in Jammu & Kashmir, 1947-48.
•Operation Shanti – Indian Army on Peace Mission.
•Military Costumes of India.
•Bharatiya Sainik Vesha – Bhusha (Hindi).
•Stories of Heroism (Param Vir Chakra and Ashoka Chakra Winners).
•Stories of Heroism (Param Vir Chakra and Mahavir Chakra Winners).
•Veerta Ki Kahaniyan (Param Vir Chakra Aur Mahavir Chakra Vijeta).
•Terrific Responsibility – The Battle for Peace in Indo-China (1954-75).
•Dushkar Dayitva – Hind-Chin Mein Shanti ke Liye Sangharsh (1954-75).
•Stories of Heroism (Ashoka Chakra and Kirti Chakra Winners).
•Veerta ki Kahaniyan (Ashok Chakra Aur Kirti Chakra Vijeta).
•The India-Pakistan War of 1965: A History.
•The India-Pakistan War of 1971: A History.

•Saga of Valour (Param Vir Chakra and Ashoka Chakra Winners).

The histories of operations conducted by the Indian Armed Forces are compiled on the basis of official records. Hence, there is hardly any gap in knowledge base of contemporary military history and war studies in India compared to advances made at global level.

The Government recognises the need to re-examine the capture and recording of historical events related to military operations and war records to ensure a higher order of professionalism in the services.

The History Division, Ministry of Defence, is entrusted with the responsibility of undertaking the research and compilation of various military operations conducted by the Indian Armed Forces from time to time. Further, to promote the study of military history in the Indian Universities, the Ministry of Defence also provides two research fellowships to the researchers working on the subject related to military history. Occasionally, the History Cells of the three Services also write / sponsor the projects relating to their service.

This information was given by Raksha Rajya Mantri Dr. Subhash Bhamre in a written reply to Smt Poonam Mahajan in Lok Sabha today.
narmad
BRFite

Post by narmad »

Didn't know where to post this and since its history
Indonesia vs India OPERATION (SUCCESS-Operation uncovered)

After covertly reaching out to the governors of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Indonesian operatives were able to convince them of the merits of joining Indonesia in order to prevent their limited populations from being forcibly conscripted into the Indian Army. Preparing documents declaring their intention to be free from India's conscription laws and their desire to be annexed into Indonesia, they sent them by courier to the Indian government. Following that notification, the Indonesian army conducted an "invasion" of the islands where they took control of the territory, leaving the local governors and population as they were before. When questioned about the circumstances of the messages they brought, the couriers indicated that a decision had been made by the governors following a visit by Indonesians.

Not sure if there is any substance to this .