Radar - Specs & Discussions

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Re: Radar - Specs & Discussions

Post by Karan M »

fanne wrote:Hmm, I thought the guy with the mic issue at AI 2023 was you (where the camera paned for a brief moment at a pretty lady in the background ...sorry that is what one remembers, bad idea for the cameraman)

In any case, my emphasis was that have we leapfrogged from GaAS to GaN directly. We did make some token GaAs, did we solve all the issues? Or it was similar (i not same) effort to find solutions for GaAs vs GaN, and since GaN is better than GaAs in almost every way, we decided to go directly to GaN (as we had no sunk cost to worry about).

Maitya ji, I was also intrigued by the same video. It looks like we are there, Even Netra 2 is using GaN. We must have some maturity in that tech to be using it for many systems. It may be my imagination, but did I also hear Uttam variant with GaN?
I do not understand the significance of liquid cooling. Can you please shed some light?
You are asking questions about topics that should not be discussed publicly beyond the bare minimum that DRDO etc reveal. We are not that far away from 1999 and the lessons those events taught us. Suffice to say the only true answer to our GaN challenges is at IISc, our progress otherwise is still ongoing, and the IISc effort has not received funding yet beyond the bare minimum. There is no urgency in funding any defence or core R&D beyond the minimum either, so this situation is unlikely to change rapidly. We will see iterative progress though.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

Karan M wrote:l. We are not that far away from 1999 and the lessons those events taught us.
what does this mean?
drnayar
BRFite

Post by drnayar »

fanne wrote:
maitya wrote:Not sure where to post this video, so posting it here ... India Is Ready To Fight War Of Technology! DRDO ECS At Aero India 2023
Fanneji, pls focus on 8:56 onwards, specifically around 9:15 or thereabouts ... he specifically says, and I quote, "... we have gone from LDMOS to GaAs to GaN ...".
Thanks Maitya ji for taking the pain to point to the exact location. Learned LDMOS today
Good to see such enthusiasm in the professionals !! absolutely amazing efforts ..proud of such people taking so much pride in their work
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

fanne wrote:
Karan M wrote:l. We are not that far away from 1999 and the lessons those events taught us.
what does this mean?
He is referring to the sanctions after nuclear tests by India and the US suddenly restricting access to CLAWS code that Indians had developed
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

I think in the video and elsewhere it says there are other players that manufacture GaN wafers - not only IISC. I think we already have the basic foundry for that.
Kersi
BRFite

Post by Kersi »

As a defence enthusiast AND a nature/wild life lover i don't know whether to be happy or sad
drnayar
BRFite

Post by drnayar »

Kersi wrote:
As a defence enthusiast AND a nature/wild life lover i don't know whether to be happy or sad
Not sure if China has similar concerns, Indian deployments have mostly been defensive
YashG
BRFite

Post by YashG »

Kersi wrote:
How common or rare is that combination ?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I think we should use this thread for Avionics equipment also.

IAF RFQ for new jamming pod aka replacement for SAP- 518

RFI for Replacing SAP-518
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

ramana wrote:I think we should use this thread for Avionics equipment also.

IAF RFQ for new jamming pod aka replacement for SAP- 518

RFI for Replacing SAP-518
ramana garu, if you read that RFI it curiously mentions "The Indian Air Force is planning to replace obsolescent hardware on five SAP 518
pods of Su-30MKI aircraft. " This does not look like an RFI for replacing the pods themselves but sort of a hardware upgrade of those pods. Also curious is the fact that they only seek to replace the hardware on 5 pods. Hope this does not indicate the total number of SAP-518 pods in the inventory and the small number is only meant as a pilot project which if successful will be extended to all the pods in inventory (which hopefully again is a lot more than 5).
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

There are many things wrongn in that RFI. Eg 12 month tumeline. And tie up with DRDO is a side project that is crucial to success. And note no frequencies.
Basically written by commerce graduate.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Common avionics between Mk2 and AMCA

https://twitter.com/Firezstarter1/statu ... zn96A&s=19
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Medium Power Radar ‘Arudhra’ and Radar Warning Receivers worth Rs 3,700 cr for IAF.

In a bid to enhance the operational capabilities of the Indian Air Force (IAF), the Defence Ministry on Thursday signed two separate contracts with Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL), at a total cost of over Rs 3,700 crore.

The first contract, worth over Rs 2,800 crore, pertains to the supply of Medium Power Radars (MPR) ‘Arudhra’ for the Indian Air Force. The second contract, at an overall cost of approx. Rs 950 crore, relates to 129 DR-118 Radar Warning Receivers (RWR). Both projects are under Buy Indian- IDMM (Indigenously Designed Developed and Manufactured) category. These essentially embody the spirit of ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat’ and will help facilitate the realisation of the country’s journey to achieve self-reliance in defence manufacturing.

MPR (Arudhra), radar has been indigenously designed and developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and will be manufactured by BEL.

Its successful trials have already been conducted by the Indian Air Force. It is a 4D multi-function phased array radar with electronic steering in both azimuth and elevation for surveillance, detection and tracking of aerial targets. The system will have target identification based on interrogations from co-located Identification Friend or Foe system.

The project will act as a catalyst for the development of manufacturing capability in the industrial ecosystem.

Besides this, the DR-118 Radar Warning Receiver will considerably enhance the Electronic Warfare (EW) capabilities of Su-30 MKI aircraft.

The majority of sub-assemblies and parts will be sourced from indigenous manufacturers. The project will boost and encourage active participation of Indian Electronics and associated industries, including MSMEs. It will generate employment of around two lakh man-days over a period of three and half years.

The DR-118 RWR is a significant leap forward in developing indigenous EW capabilities and making the country ‘Aatmanirbharta’ in defence. (ANI)
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

JTull wrote:https://twitter.com/Flankerchan/status/ ... TdbfMS3f6w
The "Hard" limit of emitted power of AESA radar. The cooling capacity.

this equation is taken from K.Barton's "Radar System Analysis and Modelling" 2005 Edition. Page 165.
https://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=53650
Avionics cooling capacity of fighter aircraft

As in title. This is a topic i always wondering about, and the answer is not straightforward but i think it's interesting to brought.

Recently i got myself a good book titled "Radar Analysis and Modeling" 2005 edition by David K Barton. P-165 contain interesting equation which relates cooling capacity with maximum emitted average power of AESA radar. Plus example with air cooling which about 2 Kw/sqm. Other link i found however states air cooling capacity of 1-1.5 watt/sq inch or about 1.5-2.3 Kw / sqm.

http://www.militaryaerospace.com/articl ... iquid.html

Using 2.3 Kw/sqm as value (best case maybe) I tried working on possible range of new Chinese air cooled KLJ-7A. One should make assumption tho about the variables

-1000 TRM
-X band (0.032 m wavelength)
-Air cooling capacity of 2.3 Kw/sqm (air cooling capacity is between 1.5-2.3 KW/sqm) Liquid could be up to 155 KW but i wonder such capacity could be carried by fighter aircraft.
-Module efficiency (PAE) of 25% (A-class) Other classes could be used but for radar application this could compromise signal purity.

Working with the equation indicates the maximum average power that could be emitted from above spec is about 397 Watt. The peak power assuming 25% duty cycle (typical for pulse doppler radar) Is 1587.2 Watt or 1.5 KW. Each module's peak emitted power is then 1.6 Watt.

Calculated range would be 191 km with 50% detection probability for 5 sqm RCS target. However it's been revealed that the maximum range of KLJ-7A would be 170 km. Could be because my spreadsheet didn't take account of clutter Or the radar have lesser amount of modules or power rating than what i assume.

Now i wonder if there is any example value for say liquid cooling ? can a fighter jet carry 155 Kw/sqm cooling capacity ?

For me at least the equation is very helpful, especially when i tried to make educated guess on fighter aircraft radar range.
Saar, look at leading edge of 5G Ka band RAN, all on GaN. Cooling is key.

Look at patent on micro channel liquid cooling of die.

I gave a url to trade publication, about 3 yrs ago.

Firangi AESA IMVHO using micro channel liquid cooling.

Indian UTTAM AESA could well be using QORVO parts for time to market issue.

Indian mini fab to make GaN is known priority to GoI
Hriday
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Hriday »

On the recent news of Indian navy acquisition of 20+ L band Lanza 3D radars. Doesn't India had an indigenously developed L band radar for use in ABM purposes?

News reports say ToT is involved. Is it for maintenance or radar software related ?
Kersi
BRFite

Post by Kersi »

Hriday wrote:On the recent news of Indian navy acquisition of 20+ L band Lanza 3D radars. Doesn't India had an indigenously developed L band radar for use in ABM purposes?

News reports say ToT is involved. Is it for maintenance or radar software related ?
I too ma wondering what is so great about this INDRA radar compared to our desi
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Can't find the radar thread.

IDRW, is reporting that DRDO is developing an Air cooled AESA for UAV and UCAV.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Pratyush wrote:Can't find the radar thread.
It was on page 2 of the forum. I moved your post to this thread.
Pratyush wrote:IDRW, is reporting that DRDO is developing an Air cooled AESA for UAV and UCAV.
It is IDRW. So take it with a sack of salt.
Kersi
BRFite

Post by Kersi »

Rakesh wrote: https://twitter.com/dfi_pk/status/13793 ... 71488?s=20 ---> Multi-static Passive Radar from BEL Thales Systems Ltd. The radar doesn't emit itself but detects targets passively by picking up reflections bouncing off aerial targets from commercial emitters like FM / DVB-T, etc. Pics credit to owners.

https://twitter.com/dfi_pk/status/13794 ... 60481?s=20 ---> Multi-static Passive radar from BEL Thales Systems Limited is anti-stealth, because the radar involves lower frequency bands and multi-static type scattering. Also passive radars cannot be detected, allowing for covert operation.
Can we infer that we are developing a bi-static radar ?
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

https://twitter.com/BEL_CorpCom/status/ ... 5065774080
The lighter version of Weapon Locating Radar, SWATHI Mountains, developed by BEL & LRDE has been inducted into Indian Army. Lt Gen. J B Chaudhari, SM, VSM, Dy Chief of Army Staff (CD&S) flagged off the RADAR system which will bolster Army's battlefield surveillance capabilities.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

Explained: The Indian Navy's New Game-Changing Radar
On 31 July, a Hyderabad-based company named Astra Microwave Products Pvt. Ltd. issued its annual report. Buried in dry text, under the heading “Major projects due for delivery during the year 2023-24”, was an innocuous line item: “6 Mtrs S-Band AAAU for strategic Naval application of DRDO”.
Astra Microwave’s new radar is a major step forward in this challenging domain.

With a diameter of 6 meters, it is a whopper!

Even the Americans, whose strategic planners have been screaming for a 6-meter antenna for years, have been restricted to a 4.3-meter radar because that is all the deckhouse of an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer can accommodate.

In technical terms, this radar is called an AAAU – an Active Antenna Array Unit.

Very little information is available about it in the public domain (and rightly so), but we do know that it has been installed on the Indian Navy’s secretive testbed, the INS Anvesh (which was commissioned into the Navy in a low-key ceremony early last year).
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/AdithyaKM_/status/1 ... 23858?s=20 ---> Tripartite MoU was signed for the production of UTTAM AESA Radar for LCA Mk1A between LRDE, HAL & Industry partners on 07 July 2023. Tejas Mk1A with Uttam is a step closer to reality.

Barath
BRFite

Post by Barath »

Iirc, the ToT was completed to hal 26 Aug 2022, and the MoU for ToT feb 2022.

So a paper/legal milestone ?

https://delhidefencereview.com/2022/09/ ... rder-size/

https://twitter.com/vaimaniki/status/13 ... 1w7ZA&s=19
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

I was unable to read the swarajya article (read it once, but now does not allow me). My speculation (and I have written it few times before)

Radar was one of the 5 important items that had to be mastered with LCA 1)airframe/composites - done, 2) Design/unstable config, flight laws- done 3) Avionics-done, (and by its nature becomes obsolete every few years)items, 4)radar - done (it was one of the last item to be done); 5)Engine - still some distance away.

If you look at this bigger context, we were failing in radars until 2010s(or later). First 40 LCAs have ELTA 2032. We wanted 2052, but was opposed by western powers and Israel could not sell it. Somewhere that changed and 2052 became available (perhaps because we made enough progress to make our own aesa FCR, 2052 was offered as a time tested strategy, India will buy it and drop its indigenous effort (for lack of money, Chandigarh lobby etc.). However, there were more radars needed (for SAM, BFR, Awacs...) and India continued its march with AESA. Mostly GaAs based. Each of these being govt entities, the research and work by one feeded and helped the other agencies (unlike in West what Lockheed develops may not be available to Boeing and they have to double the cost to develop it two times).

But the march did not stop here. GaN offered twice better capability than GaAs and is like the latest tech available, just few years old. To keep things in perspective, a normal MMR kind of Radar was developed in West by 1970s, we joined the party in 2000sand failed (our MMR for LCA was a failure that is why we went for 2032). Now GaN based FCR radar - US,China and India have it. Russia/France/Europe does not yet have them. This is how far we have come.

Why US is not deploying GaN based radar (while China is) in huge numbers - They have just upgraded most of their fighters or ordered new ones with GaAs tech. They have invested high in R&D, manufacturing, maturity etc. and economically it is not very wise to shift to a better tech. China has no constraint like it, it is making new planes and putting GaN radar. We should also plan (if GaN based radar is ready, looks like it should be in 1-2 years) to shift to this and not put GaAs based radar and then later upgrade to GaN it may not be economically feasible. In our case the good news is that same firm (e.g. astra micro) makes both these radars. A new contract have to be executed to account for price difference etc., but we should put the latest Tech in our plane.
The new Tech is also God send for planes like SU30MKI where more power is not available. The new Tech does the same work in half the power.
Last edited by fanne on 05 Sep 2023 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
rrao
BRFite

Post by rrao »

how many of the modes did UTTAM demonstrate....can somebody answer if its not confidential !!! it reminds me of MMR saga...where HAL and LRDE took ride of each other...mostly by LRDE as they were handling signal processors!!!
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Don't know the source of the image, but FWIW...

https://x.com/Rethik_D/status/1724662047806570977?s=20 ---> It's confirmed! GaN-based AESA radar for all our upcoming fighter jets!

- LCA MK2
- AMCA
- Su-30UPG
- TEDBF

fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

Why not lca mk1a? The 40 th plane that will have uttam is at least 3-4 years away, enough time to qualify a gan based arsa for it. Let’s skip a generation by moving to gan based uttam. GaAs based uttam is so passé.
Why? Because we can. Unlike west we have not yet negated very high on gaAs based infra that we have to built certain number to recoup the cost(unless we have)
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

iDEX-DIO signs 300th contract for Defence Innovation in the niche field of Design and Development of Advanced Gallium Nitride Semiconductors
https://www.thedefencematrix.in/idex-di ... conductors
02 Dec 2023

Image © Kuntal Biswas