Radar - Specs & Discussions

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
rrao
BRFite

Re: Radar - Specs & Discussions

Post by rrao »

Prem Kumar wrote:Extensive and parallel flight-testing & certification needs to happen for Mk1a for both 2052 and Uttam. Double-work, but unavoidable.

Given that Uttam has flown on 2 Tejas LSPs for 230 hours already, re-testing them on the Mk1a should not throw up big surprises. So, I am not sure where DDR heard that there will be a delay in delivery? Is it because orders need to be placed now, but aren't?
LRDE will again ditch HAL by giving them half-baked UTTAM AESA. MoD thinks that UTTAM is ready in all aspects and tells HAL not to talk about EL/M2052. so HAL will be in soup like in LCA MMR and will be bashed by the customer IAF. IN MMR there were 18 modes of radar operation and LRDE could prove only A-A look up only. They had no algos for medium PRF,HPRF operation . During MMR the TX was ready , the RX was ready , the scanner which was made by ECIL+BARC under the guidance of HAL was ready, the antenna somehow made by LRDE was limping . The Data processor was made by HAL . But the signal processor which was supposed to be delivered by LRDE never came with full operational potential. i was shocked to see many bigwigs of Indian Radar systems were just blaming HAL instead of actually looking at the real issues of LRDE. we wasted 15 years of our careers during development of MMR . so with that dismal background of LRDE regarding airborne fighter radar development , how much operational UTTAM Radar is questionable. Hope history will not be repeated by LRDE and another half baked radar for lCA is dumped on HAL.
n that case HAL can neither import The RADAR nor develop it on its own .
basant
BRFite

Post by basant »

I hope Uttam will have better performance on day zero. The modes have been proven quicker as they were adapted from the AEW program. Even if niggles are present, it would be easier to fix them in due course. We don't need to kill it as our adversaries too are on same path. There is always learning experience, and I am sure the certifying authorities would have learnt their lessons too. There is no other way to be self-sufficient.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

rrao wrote:
Prem Kumar wrote:Extensive and parallel flight-testing & certification needs to happen for Mk1a for both 2052 and Uttam. Double-work, but unavoidable.

Given that Uttam has flown on 2 Tejas LSPs for 230 hours already, re-testing them on the Mk1a should not throw up big surprises. So, I am not sure where DDR heard that there will be a delay in delivery? Is it because orders need to be placed now, but aren't?
LRDE will again ditch HAL by giving them half-baked UTTAM AESA. MoD thinks that UTTAM is ready in all aspects and tells HAL not to talk about EL/M2052. so HAL will be in soup like in LCA MMR and will be bashed by the customer IAF. IN MMR there were 18 modes of radar operation and LRDE could prove only A-A look up only. They had no algos for medium PRF,HPRF operation . During MMR the TX was ready , the RX was ready , the scanner which was made by ECIL+BARC under the guidance of HAL was ready, the antenna somehow made by LRDE was limping . The Data processor was made by HAL . But the signal processor which was supposed to be delivered by LRDE never came with full operational potential. i was shocked to see many bigwigs of Indian Radar systems were just blaming HAL instead of actually looking at the real issues of LRDE. we wasted 15 years of our careers during development of MMR . so with that dismal background of LRDE regarding airborne fighter radar development , how much operational UTTAM Radar is questionable. Hope history will not be repeated by LRDE and another half baked radar for lCA is dumped on HAL.
n that case HAL can neither import The RADAR nor develop it on its own .
You act as if present day HAL and IAF are so incompetent that they would clear the trials for a half-baked product. After all, MOD depends on them for its final verdict. IMHO not tenable.

Your complaints about LRDE over a program over a decade back, apart, after the MMR, LRDE has developed and delivered the following radars across multiple functions (A2A/A2S, Ground based) to the IAF:
Netra Mk1
Rohini 3D radar, variants for the IAF, IA
LLLWR to the IA
Rajendra variants to all 3 services
Arudhra to the IAF
Aslesha to the IAF
BMD radars to the IAF
etc etc

We are talking of 100s of radars over which LRDE has had the ability to develop a range of modes and then optimize the algos, and then adapt/develop new ones for air to air as well.

In fact they have delivered so many programs, that I've not even bothered to list some more.

Apart from that they've had multiple test beds like the XV-2004 and SV-2000 both of which proved multiple radar modes apart from the A2A look up mode. In fact they had many modes which matched the MMR.

And LRDE's antenna worked fine. As things stand, it continues to be on the MMR and after a change of radome, which is where the Tx /Rx losses were, the IAF has been happy with the radar.

Netra is the closest to the MMR in terms of functionalities. Used in the Balakot strike, and performance sufficient enough for the IAF to commit to many more units.

If a signal processor from LRDE was the only issue, where was HAL's solution to replace it. In fact, the Israelis supplied the whole back-end for the MMR, and lets face it, HAL's only role was the project manager, assisting in the testing etc, integration with test-beds. It didn't develop anything much in the MMR. I at least don't recall any HAL program for the transmitter (which was again a codevelopment between DRDO and Russia), or the exciter, or the receiver or any of the other complex items. HAL management's attitude to the Tejas program or even R&D overall was very negative. It was a disappointing phase overall. The organization leadership of that era has a lot to answer for.

Can you tell me post MMR how many radar programs *of its own* HAL has taken up? Your account makes the LRDE the villain of the piece, and HAL the victim which was capable of handling all of its own issues. In which case, where are HAL's own in-house programs. It should have had the in-house ability to develop the radars on its own. Fact is the person at HAL leading the MMR program, was very upset at *then* HAL not paying any interest or attention to the Tejas program.

Today's HAL is different, thankfully its investing over a thousand crores in R&D programs and is *finally* backing the Tejas after treating it like a stepchild earlier. But it still lacks any inhouse radar programs. It's all TOT. Whereas LRDE has also delivered multiple programs with BEL. Point is both organizations have grown. Getting stuck in the past over *one* program is inadvisable and illogical.

In fact a senior Naval officer associated with the Tejas was very critical of HAL and the 2052 being associated with it. In his view it was driven by HAL's desire to license the radar and production numbers. Whereas he felt that after MMR easily met SQR, it should have been used on Mk1A to speed up development and Uttam added later when available.

Be as it may, at least it de-risks the Tejas Mk1A program. But should be dropped asap if Uttam meets/exceeds its specs. That too is logical.

If Uttam was a failure, then the IAF wouldn't clear it. They have no reason to do so given the EL/M-2052 is available. Fact IAF has cleared it speak volumes. If they hadn't, LRDE would not be transferring anything to HAL as the production ready unit would not be standardized.
rrao
BRFite

Post by rrao »

karan sirji, The list of radars developed by LRDE stated by you are all Ground based CAR, Surveillance, WLR etc.... They don't have any previous experience in developing fire control radars for a multi role fighter like LCA .NTERA a/c is a slow moving a/c and its role is different as AEW. so can we compare MMR and NETRA ... cant...LRDE designed MMR Antenna and could fabricate themselves only 1 no which met specs.. 60-70 Antennae were made using vacuum dip brazing technology , but none of them met the spec. They could not master vacuum dip brazing tech ..finally they went to $% place and got them made. Its RIP @ HAl as far as RADAR programs are concerned after MMR debacle. The man at the helms ensured that no MMR guy was present and saw to it that that the group was disbanded and claimed that all group members left and closed the coffin door of MMR. Happily he became a head honcho for having murdered MMR in collusion with LRDE. DRDO is good at making one proto wonders and dump the half baked tech on DPSU like HAL,BDL,BEL. HALs R&D is production oriented and they always look to mass produce... what will HAL do if UTTAM doesn't meet all operational requirements of LCAMK1A,MKII etc and LRDE claims UTTAM is a full fledged operational RADAR? LRDE misleads MoD ,which in turn dumps it on the universal whore called HAL ... The senior naval officer if he was critical, why cant he tell in the project review meetings and mince no words about performance of 2052. As i told HAL can not sit like a hen on its eggs forever without hatching them... It is 2052 which came forward to HAL for trial on jaguar to replace EL/M 2032 derivatives. ppl at the helms in forces are not sure of buying HHT-40,LCH, LCA MK1,MK1A ...You know the CMD of HAL is not selected so far... The PSEB recommendations are no suitable candidate available, even though two serving senior executives of HAL attended the interview and when we have serious programs of LCA,LCH,IMRH,AMCA, HTFE25 and HTSE1200 running.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

This is getting interesting......
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

rrao wrote:karan sirji, The list of radars developed by LRDE stated by you are all Ground based CAR, Surveillance, WLR etc.... They don't have any previous experience in developing fire control radars for a multi role fighter like LCA .NTERA a/c is a slow moving a/c and its role is different as AEW. so can we compare MMR and NETRA ... cant...LRDE designed MMR Antenna and could fabricate themselves only 1 no which met specs.. 60-70 Antennae were made using vacuum dip brazing technology , but none of them met the spec. They could not master vacuum dip brazing tech ..finally they went to $% place and got them made. Its RIP @ HAl as far as RADAR programs are concerned after MMR debacle. The man at the helms ensured that no MMR guy was present and saw to it that that the group was disbanded and claimed that all group members left and closed the coffin door of MMR. Happily he became a head honcho for having murdered MMR in collusion with LRDE. DRDO is good at making one proto wonders and dump the half baked tech on DPSU like HAL,BDL,BEL. HALs R&D is production oriented and they always look to mass produce... what will HAL do if UTTAM doesn't meet all operational requirements of LCAMK1A,MKII etc and LRDE claims UTTAM is a full fledged operational RADAR? LRDE misleads MoD ,which in turn dumps it on the universal whore called HAL ... The senior naval officer if he was critical, why cant he tell in the project review meetings and mince no words about performance of 2052. As i told HAL can not sit like a hen on its eggs forever without hatching them... It is 2052 which came forward to HAL for trial on jaguar to replace EL/M 2032 derivatives. ppl at the helms in forces are not sure of buying HHT-40,LCH, LCA MK1,MK1A ...You know the CMD of HAL is not selected so far... The PSEB recommendations are no suitable candidate available, even though two serving senior executives of HAL attended the interview and when we have serious programs of LCA,LCH,IMRH,AMCA, HTFE25 and HTSE1200 running.
So DRDO made one/few prototype/s of the Uttam, integrated and made it fly on multiple hacks and LCA prototypes? And then they still cleared all trials and were accepted by the IAF somehow huh? in fact, as some reports pointed out, the Uttam exceeded the Elta 2052 in some aspects. All this was done and you're saying "what if Uttam doesn't meet all operational requirements of LCA Mk1A"? It couldn't' have cleared trials that were on-going for years without meeting the requirements!

So what you're saying is that LRDE misleads everyone and HAL folks are little babes in the woods who can't tell that they're being hoodwinked?

And the IAF was asleep during this whole time and simply signed the papers clearing the Uttam trials? And then went on to blindly request DRDO for a new Uttam variant for the Su-30MKI, for which they will provide test-beds?

Sorry, it's obvious that whatever the experience you've had with the MMR years ago, you're projecting those fears which seem unfounded.

It may well be that the Uttam is not ready to be mass produced but that is not LRDE's fault. If HAL cannot handle the production of the Uttam then there are private sector companies that would be more than willing to. Say, what did HAL even gain by the Elta 2052 ToT?

But come what may, the Uttam has to succeed given the hundreds of AESA radars that are to be produced for the Tejas Mk1A, Mk2, TEDBF, AMCA and Su-30MKI upgrades. The order size will be in the billions of USD overall.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

I was under the impression that Astra Microwave would be the production partner for the production of Uttam. On the basis of the below transcript and tweet.

Was I wrong to from that impression?

https://www.astramwp.com/admin/assets/u ... script.pdf

https://twitter.com/TheAvenger82/status ... 5005089793
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

As @KaranM said much water has flowed since the original Tejas MMR pulse doppler radar effort.

The Uttam was initially flight tested on business jet flight test bed. It has reported that one of the problems was to get the radar to work on fighter jets, at fast speed, as opposed to platforms like the Netra or the business jet flight test bed, would be much faster.
Thereafter another Uttam prototype was mounted on the Tejas MK1, LSP2 and the flight tests were conducted. The air to air modes were established first and then the air to ground modes. The air to ground modes were particularly difficult for a fast moving fighter aircraft.

However, as the radar has been tested on a Tejas prototype and the IAF has also been involved in the process, it would suggest that everything is moving in the right direction. Also, this time private sector players have been involved in the manufacturing of the prototypes.

The results of all the tests seem to suggest as per most of the news reports, that the performance of the Uttam is satisfactory and matches the performance of the Elat 2052, which is no mean feat.
Currently no reports have come out indicating any kind of apprehension about the Uttam performance or the plan to equip the Uttam on the Tejas MK1A. Maybe some voices in HAL might prefer to equip all the Tejas MK1A with the Elta 2052, which HAL will be manufacturing under license from Elta, but no sources from the IAF, MoD, LRDE or anyone else has raised any doubts over the Uttam.

Having our own Aesa radar on the Tejas MK1A is extremely important. Except for the EW suite, which will initially be only partially indigenous, the rest of the entire avionics suite would be Indian, if the Uttam is the radar.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Explained: Significance Of Indian Air Force’s New Uttam Radar
https://swarajyamag.com/defence/explain ... ttam-radar
09 Sept 2022
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Uttam was displayed on Tejas PV/LSP aircraft 2 Aero-India's ago. In last one they already were showing a better config for Mk1A, which has been specified for part of 83 ordered. And specs for another version for MK2 was part of its specs. All jingos wanted a version for Su-30MKI, which has now been confirmed by DDR as having been requested by IAF.

Where's the doubt that Uttam isn't ready, or IAF isn't sure about it?
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

https://twitter.com/Flankerchan/status/ ... TdbfMS3f6w
The "Hard" limit of emitted power of AESA radar. The cooling capacity.

this equation is taken from K.Barton's "Radar System Analysis and Modelling" 2005 Edition. Page 165.
https://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=53650
Avionics cooling capacity of fighter aircraft

As in title. This is a topic i always wondering about, and the answer is not straightforward but i think it's interesting to brought.

Recently i got myself a good book titled "Radar Analysis and Modeling" 2005 edition by David K Barton. P-165 contain interesting equation which relates cooling capacity with maximum emitted average power of AESA radar. Plus example with air cooling which about 2 Kw/sqm. Other link i found however states air cooling capacity of 1-1.5 watt/sq inch or about 1.5-2.3 Kw / sqm.

http://www.militaryaerospace.com/articl ... iquid.html

Using 2.3 Kw/sqm as value (best case maybe) I tried working on possible range of new Chinese air cooled KLJ-7A. One should make assumption tho about the variables

-1000 TRM
-X band (0.032 m wavelength)
-Air cooling capacity of 2.3 Kw/sqm (air cooling capacity is between 1.5-2.3 KW/sqm) Liquid could be up to 155 KW but i wonder such capacity could be carried by fighter aircraft.
-Module efficiency (PAE) of 25% (A-class) Other classes could be used but for radar application this could compromise signal purity.

Working with the equation indicates the maximum average power that could be emitted from above spec is about 397 Watt. The peak power assuming 25% duty cycle (typical for pulse doppler radar) Is 1587.2 Watt or 1.5 KW. Each module's peak emitted power is then 1.6 Watt.

Calculated range would be 191 km with 50% detection probability for 5 sqm RCS target. However it's been revealed that the maximum range of KLJ-7A would be 170 km. Could be because my spreadsheet didn't take account of clutter Or the radar have lesser amount of modules or power rating than what i assume.

Now i wonder if there is any example value for say liquid cooling ? can a fighter jet carry 155 Kw/sqm cooling capacity ?

For me at least the equation is very helpful, especially when i tried to make educated guess on fighter aircraft radar range.
Last edited by JTull on 05 Oct 2022 18:16, edited 3 times in total.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Possibly explains why Uttam for Mk2 will have fewer elements than Mk1A but likely longer detection range. Higher powered engine means there were improvements made to cooling system.
Kersi
BRFite

Post by Kersi »

I have a dirty / gut feeling that Arudhra and EL/M 2084 radars are not exactly same. Arudhra may be having some components of EL/M 2084 but it is different
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

El/M 2084 was also given the monicker Arudhra by IAF.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Thakur_B wrote:El/M 2084 was also given the monicker Arudhra by IAF.
Revised name of DRDO developed MPR is now Anuradha.
Kersi
BRFite

Post by Kersi »

Kersi
BRFite

Post by Kersi »

Why a new systesm since DRDO has developed Atulya ?
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

"Urgent/immediate requirement will be filled by immediate imports while DRDO develops indigenous capability".
Kersi
BRFite

Post by Kersi »

Prasad wrote:"Urgent/immediate requirement will be filled by immediate imports while DRDO develops indigenous capability".
Back door entry for imports
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Kersi wrote:
Prasad wrote:"Urgent/immediate requirement will be filled by immediate imports while DRDO develops indigenous capability".
Back door entry for imports
Do have on authority that Atulya radar is functional and ready for induction? Or, as usual, we're going for the easy route of bashing the army w/o doing our homework?

Are you aware of that "Successor of Flycatcher & Upgraded Super Fledermaus (USFM) / Air Defense Fire Control Radar (ADFCR)" is on negative import list with cut-off date being December 2020?

BTW, 66 of these Israeli radars have been inducted.

Considering the number of L-70 based regiments, and number of guns controlled per radar, my estimate is that we still need more than double of these numbers to equip balance L-70 AD Regiments.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Are we aware that there is intense lobbying for the remainder of the flycatcher acquisition. And engineers bemoan the fact that folks from our side took off their uniform and promptly jumped in to lobby for the other side despite the negative import list and radars being something we can make and have already made with multiple being stymied by vested interests?
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Again. Need to talk to the people involved. ADFCR has been ready for trials for eons. It worked in dev trials. "During the month of February 2020, Phase-I of User Assisted Technical Trials (UATT) i.e. high-altitude low temperature tests were completed. " So where's the "delay"?

QRSAM trials were held this year (well last year end) and had 6 htks and 2 considered kills. And promptly we had hitjobs on it claiming it failed the tests. They're even using the original prototypes for user trials. I wonder what imported product could fill that requirement.

Again, talk to the people involved. Will share details further when we get an ok to publish. Until then, will say no more.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

naraswami wrote:
Prasad wrote:Are we aware that there is intense lobbying for the remainder of the flycatcher acquisition. And engineers bemoan the fact that folks from our side took off their uniform and promptly jumped in to lobby for the other side despite the negative import list and radars being something we can make and have already made with multiple being stymied by vested interests?
Sir-ji... perhaps focusing on the specific Atulya question and its production partner will lead us to an answer?
Why are you mixing orders not received with delayed delivery.
I get similar info on Pages 154/155 from a different source: https://trendlyne-media-mumbai-new.s3.a ... 6d6c8b7f32

Perhaps you have a different read of these FACTS that seem to be straight from the horse's mouth ? Or you can see where the data is not what I think makes it clear that there IS a delay happening. Atleast these are not tweets, interpretations, thoughts and feelings so we should all be on a firmer basis for discussion.

SorryI have not figured out how to attach images :( ... maybe one of the more experienced posters will help me out ?
How is BEL supposed to have delivered what has not been ordered. QRSAM has not been ordered, period. They've gone and moved the QRSAM to "intangible assets under development" if an order isn't placed and further trials are asked for. That's Std process. As of yet there are no orders for QRSAM. QRSAM was developed under a jt DRDO and BEL initiative for an IA reqmt of the same name, based on GOI approval. There was even talk the IA, would then evaluate the system and come out with a new PSQR. Thankfully better sense seems to have prevailed at MOD and now BEL expects it may actually get orders for two regimental sets.

These "Facts" which you are claiming as such are anything but when looked at out if context as they actually relate to financial projections made to analysts about likely order receipt and production. When the orders are not received, the entire program has to be accounted for in the costing, and is hence mentioned as delayed.

You *don't * have a full picture of the program on your side. Prasad does. He has details of the program in question which track exactly with what has been going on.
And oh-BTW regretfully, LRSAM is also under that '21-'22 overrun... too bad !
What exactly is your point here. LRSAM delivery is contingent upon orders & those orders are dependent on IN budgeting.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

naraswami wrote:Sounds like you are focused on the Development aspect (trials, development engineers etc). Move downstream into Production delivery. Its highly doubtful that a multi-billion NavRatna company will get this wrong in an audited Annual Report and mis-label something "Time and Cost Over-run". If anything most companies will try and do everything they can legally to avoid line items showing up in that category and the Liabilities/Liquidated damages category

More info will be great - this lack of transparency is what sets up guesswork and conspiracy theories.
You've gone into all sorts of confused meandering here. The Navratna company in question is yet to get an order for QRSAM. It expects one in FY24 and another in FY25. The QRSAM is a DRDO and BEL attempt to target an IA QRSAM requirement against heavy opposition.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

naraswami wrote:Sounds like you are focused on the Development aspect (trials, development engineers etc). Move downstream into Production delivery. Its highly doubtful that a multi-billion NavRatna company will get this wrong in an audited Annual Report and mis-label something "Time and Cost Over-run". If anything most companies will try and do everything they can legally to avoid line items showing up in that category and the Liabilities/Liquidated damages category

More info will be great - this lack of transparency is what sets up guesswork and conspiracy theories.
Completely confused understanding of the process. Perhaps try to understand what Prasad is saying. He is pointing out trials of the QRSAM were sought to be portrayed as a failure to lobby for imports when in actuality was a success (8/8 hits). Obviously the longer the trials and devpt of the QRSAM drag on and no orders are placed, BEL has to mention the costs accrued against it whichever way is legal. It makes ample sense for those against the program to drag on the trials and hence have BEL subject to damages against the GOI or take a fiscal hit. Only once trials are deemed complete can then price negotiation begin, and orders be placed once the respective service allocates funds for it from it's budget.
So there is no question of Production Delivery here, as no orders have been placed against the project at all. Only initial prototype units have been used for trials.
Now that trials are complete and results are with MOD as versus motivated barking in the media, the orders are expected depending on whether IA prioritizes them. Even Akash Prime regiment orders are pending with IA.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

rrao wrote:karan sirji, The list of radars developed by LRDE stated by you are all Ground based CAR, Surveillance, WLR etc.... They don't have any previous experience in developing fire control radars for a multi role fighter like LCA .NTERA a/c is a slow moving a/c and its role is different as AEW. so can we compare MMR and NETRA .
Yet IAF has cleared the Uttam & HAL has taken TOT for it. Are they both so incompetent. And Netra is a high subsonic cruise. It's algorithms were obviously tweaked for the Uttam and vice versa. All these programs feed into each other. Are you seriously stating that the efforts we put into other programs didn't help our current programs. Each builds on the other. Common sense apart, there are so many common systems abf technologies involved not to mention production partners and you are ignoring all of that by dismissing them as ground based systems alone when there is commonality.
.. cant...LRDE designed MMR Antenna and could fabricate themselves only 1 no which met specs.. 60-70 Antennae were made using vacuum dip brazing technology , but none of them met the spec. They could not master vacuum dip brazing tech ..finally they went to $% place and got them made.
And yet without meeting the spec they were exported to Poland, used for other programs, are now in the current Tejas too. PS: LRDE is a lab, at best they can do some level of local mfg/assembly, they are supposed to leverage production partners for productionization, if HAL can't manage the issue, there are others whom they will have to tap.
Its RIP @ HAl as far as RADAR programs are concerned after MMR debacle. The man at the helms ensured that no MMR guy was present and saw to it that that the group was disbanded and claimed that all group members left and closed the coffin door of MMR. Happily he became a head honcho for having murdered MMR in collusion with LRDE. DRDO is good at making one proto wonders and dump the half baked tech on DPSU like HAL,BDL,BEL.
Yes absolutely, which is why so many DRDO radars are in service. How many DPSU radars of their own BTW, if evil DRDO was to blame for everything. Fact of the matter is even today, DPSUs have done so little on some facets of core R&D that MSMEs are out stripping them. If DRDO starts moving to pvt sector as production partners then that's another huge issue for the DPSU complex. Thankfully, HAL is not as cynical as you are. It is investing in radar production as is BEL and might even take domestic programs forward.
HALs R&D is production oriented and they always look to mass produce... what will HAL do if UTTAM doesn't meet all operational requirements of LCAMK1A,MKII etc and LRDE claims UTTAM is a full fledged operational RADAR?
You have a mistaken belief here that IAF etc will accept a flawed program over a ready one. Nothing stops HAL from stating it can't make Uttam and handing it over to the pvt sector. In fact they are eagerly waiting for the chance having provided most of the key systems already.
LRDE misleads MoD ,which in turn dumps it on the universal whore called HAL ... The senior naval officer if he was critical, why cant he tell in the project review meetings and mince no words about performance of 2052. As i told HAL can not sit like a hen on its eggs forever without hatching them... It is 2052 which came forward to HAL for trial on jaguar to replace EL/M 2032 derivatives. ppl at the helms in forces are not sure of buying HHT-40,LCH, LCA MK1,MK1A ...You know the CMD of HAL is not selected so far... The PSEB recommendations are no suitable candidate available, even though two serving senior executives of HAL attended the interview and when we have serious programs of LCA,LCH,IMRH,AMCA, HTFE25 and HTSE1200 running
Somehow HAL is the victim of the piece and has to somehow make do with imports subsidized by the Indian taxpayer whereas the Indian programs whose systems are happily made by others and are ready for production are not good enough for anyone else. Thank goodness the people at HAL currently don't share such pessimistic views otherwise we'd be stuck at assembling another half baked import for a decade to come.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Pratyush wrote:I was under the impression that Astra Microwave would be the production partner for the production of Uttam. On the basis of the below transcript and tweet.

Was I wrong to from that impression?

https://www.astramwp.com/admin/assets/u ... script.pdf

https://twitter.com/TheAvenger82/status ... 5005089793
Astra and several other private firms are production partners for the Uttam. They supply integrated subsystems, HAL will do the final assembly, testing and supply plus integrate into Tejas. DRDO has gone to great lengths to set up an entire supply chain for the DPSUs. And the pvt sector is chomping at the bit, to take up the whole system as well. Times are changing. The DPSUs can't remain at the high level easy integration part and hope to get all the margins they want.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

https://theprint.in/defence/china-has-s ... t/1361419/

Seems like our Aerostat experience was a mixed one. Probably explains why the IAF did not order more.
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

Bengaluru-built Uttam radar ready for export, says DRDO
BENGALURU: Uttam, the state-of-the-art Active Electronically Scanned Array Radar (AESAR), developed by a Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) lab in Bengaluru originally for Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas, is now ready for export.
Aside from this, DRDO is also working on other electronics that are export worthy, DRDO director-general (electronics & communication system) BK Das said. The development is in line with the Centre's push for not just self-reliance in defence but also enhancing exports. PM Modi on Monday said India's defence exports will top $5 billion by 2024-25.
According to DRDO, Uttam (in pic) can track multiple targets at a time and also take hi-resolution pictures of enemy targets to aid in reconnaissance missions. Uttam is a fully electronically scanned agile beam radar which uses a transmit-or-receive module and has features that allow the aircraft to boast of low probability of intercept and non-cooperative target recognition.
It also provides better situational awareness of the modern battlefield scenario and is capable of tracking multiple targets with high accuracy suitable for firing missiles and has interleaved air-to-air, air-to-ground and air-to-sea modes for all terrain solution, according to Electronics & Radar Development Establishment, the Bengaluru-based lab which has developed the radar.
Sanctioned in 2012, the project team included people with the experience of making the main radar on the indigenous Airborne early Warning And Control System - Netra - and the Maritime Patrol radar. While stating that DRDO was in talks for export of Uttam, Das did not elaborate on the countries or customers that had shown interest.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

X-Post from Kaveri & Aero-Engine: News & Discussion thread...
k prasad wrote:such a wonderfully informative post, Maityaji! Thank you for the detailing. My expertise is with radars, so not familiar with the engine & materials side of things beyond the basics.
K PRASAD JI,
few questions on Radar,(answer can go in the appropriate thread), also since you get to talk the people in the know. Also only non classified info please

1) Do we have GaN in house manufacture tech? I know the answer is yes, but is is good, comprehensive enough to support all domestic needs?
2)How mature is our GAN compared to GaAs? Why are other foreign companies taking inordinate time to move from GaAs to GaN? It could be economics, they want to recoup the money on GaAs foundries before they start with GaN, even though GaN may not have any 'real' blocker
3)If our GaN is as mature as GaAs (or even say 90%), why not skip directly to that, even for Mk1a? Let it be among the first fighters in the world to be with GaN (even ahead of Rafale)
4) It looks like new avionics (wide angle Display) is ready, why not get it for mk1a (MK1a is at least 2 years from construction). Is it again economics, we have already placed orders and the small tech companies will go bankrupt if we do not follow through.
5) Is there an org that constantly refines radar tech, mostly as science project- Newer mode, better SAR, better resolution (mostly software + required hardware update?
maitya
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by maitya »

fanne wrote:
k prasad wrote:such a wonderfully informative post, Maityaji! Thank you for the detailing. My expertise is with radars, so not familiar with the engine & materials side of things beyond the basics.
K PRASAD JI,
few questions on radar, (answer can go in the appropriate thread), also since you get to talk the people in the know. Also only non classified info please:

1) Do we have GaN in house manufacture tech? I know the answer is yes, but is is good, comprehensive enough to support all domestic needs?
2)How mature is our GAN compared to GaAs? Why are other foreign companies taking inordinate time to move from GaAs to GaN? It could be economics, they want to recoup the money on GaAs foundries before they start with GaN, even though GaN may not have any 'real' blocker
3)If our GaN is as mature as GaAs (or even say 90%), why not skip directly to that, even for Mk1a? Let it be among the first fighters in the world to be with GaN (even ahead of Rafale)
4) It looks like new avionics (wide angle Display) is ready, why not get it for mk1a (MK1a is at least 2 years from construction). Is it again economics, we have already placed orders and the small tech companies will go bankrupt if we do not follow through.
5) Is there an org that constantly refines radar tech, mostly as science project- Newer mode, better SAR, better resolution (mostly software + required hardware update?
Not to steal away kprasadji thunder, and I'm sure, he'll respond to the above ... though, according to his own revelation, a lot more was discussed etc, but can't be disclosed due to obvious reasons.
But do note the almost-developed ASPJ for Mk1A (and later use for variants for Su-30 etc) uses GaN based T/R modules (16 elements) - even the MMICs used there-in are based on GaN as well.
Though what intrigued me is still usage of liquid cooling in ASPJ irrespective of GaN usage.
Anyway, this was confirmed in the AI23 itself - will search the relevant video (already posted in BR) and re-post here.
Mods, you may want to move these posts to an appropriate thread.

Added Later: Fanneji, pls watch this video - from around 3:25 onwards.
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

fanne wrote:X-Post from Kaveri & Aero-Engine: News & Discussion thread...
K PRASAD JI,
few questions on Radar,(answer can go in the appropriate thread), also since you get to talk the people in the know. Also only non classified info please

Fanne-ji, unfortunately, I'm away from the Radar scene in India, since I've been out for nearly a decade now, so I'm not sure about the GaN status at the moment. I do know that there's a lot of technology issues that need to be resolved for GaN-on-Si epitaxy, especially as related to reliability & gate degradation, and cooling requirements for higher-power applications requires (re)design of those components. Even though GaN can handle more thermal stress than GaAs, in Radars, the aim is to get as close to the upper limit of performance as possible. Plus, reaching enough technology maturity will take some time. So even if we're at 90% maturity relative to GaAs, that last 10% could cause enough reliability or performance issues as to make it too risky to use GaN just yet.

The good thing is with things like radars, we're less worried about production scales, so profitability is less of an issue than say, for commercial manufacturers, who're dealing with issues translating the GaN-on-Si processes to larger wafer sizes.

As for the org, I know LRDE has been working on developing the SAR and other radars, and collaborate with the IITs and IISc to develop better algorithms etc. Much of the performance improvements, etc is tied to better computational hardware, processors (filter banks, waveform generators, etc) and front-end antenna hardware (especially in high-bandwidth applications like Interferometric SAR or Coherent Change Detection), and much of the advances need to happen both concurrently AND in relation to each other. Which means that even if our ability to design better algorithms and waveforms is good, we might not yet have the hardware ready to implement these. A lot of the algorithm work is happening in the academic organizations, and/or places like TIFR. There's also some consultancy / training received from US universities (or research labs) & faculty from here. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with more than this.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

Hmm, I thought the guy with the mic issue at AI 2023 was you (where the camera paned for a brief moment at a pretty lady in the background ...sorry that is what one remembers, bad idea for the cameraman)

In any case, my emphasis was that have we leapfrogged from GaAS to GaN directly. We did make some token GaAs, did we solve all the issues? Or it was similar (i not same) effort to find solutions for GaAs vs GaN, and since GaN is better than GaAs in almost every way, we decided to go directly to GaN (as we had no sunk cost to worry about).

Maitya ji, I was also intrigued by the same video. It looks like we are there, Even Netra 2 is using GaN. We must have some maturity in that tech to be using it for many systems. It may be my imagination, but did I also hear Uttam variant with GaN?
I do not understand the significance of liquid cooling. Can you please shed some light?
VickyAvinash
BRFite -Trainee

Post by VickyAvinash »

fanne wrote:Hmm, I thought the guy with the mic issue at AI 2023 was you (where the camera paned for a brief moment at a pretty lady in the background ...sorry that is what one remembers, bad idea for the cameraman)
fanne ji, that is Prasad
maitya
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by maitya »

Not sure where to post this video, so posting it here ... India Is Ready To Fight War Of Technology! DRDO ECS At Aero India 2023
Fanneji, pls focus on 8:56 onwards, specifically around 9:15 or thereabouts ... he specifically says, and I quote, "... we have gone from LDMOS to GaAs to GaN ...".
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

We've gone all the way up to Ku band for GaN devices today, thanks to SSPL's work.

https://twitter.com/delhidefence/status ... 5515649024
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

So one other question, say this GaN tech matures by 2025 for radars (it looks like it already is)
1) Can they use the software (all the modes etc) developed for GaAs-based Uttam with minimal change?
1a) Does the GaN based radar have to go through many years of validation just like GaAs (same question as above, with some more clarity)
2) Can the same peripheral hardware units (like cooling unit etc.) be reused
3) Can LCAMK1a start with GaN based Uttam say from 2025 or it is stuck with GaAs based Uttam (perhaps because orders have already been placed and contract sign) or they can change horse in the middle?
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

maitya wrote:Not sure where to post this video, so posting it here ... India Is Ready To Fight War Of Technology! DRDO ECS At Aero India 2023
Fanneji, pls focus on 8:56 onwards, specifically around 9:15 or thereabouts ... he specifically says, and I quote, "... we have gone from LDMOS to GaAs to GaN ...".
Thanks Maitya ji for taking the pain to point to the exact location. Learned LDMOS today
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

If you just talk about radars, it looks like we are at the cutting edge, as good as anyone else. Yes others who have long term experience will have advantages for now that only experience can bring, we are not far behind.