Kaveri & Aero-Engine: News & Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Re: Kaveri & Aero-Engine: News & Discussion

Postby Indranil » 02 Feb 2020 17:35

arvin wrote:
Indranil wrote:
I think India should join hands with Japan for a common engine development for their next generation fighters.

Japan had to tap GE expertise for the core of its Hondajet which had a modest thrust of 9.2kn.
Jet engine design wise both us and them looks like are at same level. Best to develop IP based on own money and effort and then enter partnership like CFM or Eurojet consortium.

I would not enter a consortium with anybody who could get there just by virtue of funding. We might get a engine out of it, but we would not learn how to design our one.

I like Japan's development of the F-3, XF5, F-7 and XF 9 series of engines. They produce a little more than 9.2 kNs

nam
BRF Oldie

Postby nam » 02 Feb 2020 17:37

Do we know, why Kaveri is having thrust shortage in afterburner? Is it a case material or design fault?

Would further testing help us find out the issue? Or we already know the reason and it is material?

The weight is not a major concern, as the resultant platform can be designed to manage the extra weight & CoG.

hgupta
BRFite

Postby hgupta » 02 Feb 2020 20:09

Most likely it has to do with withstanding and sustaining higher temperatures that comes with AB or sufficient fuel flow to sustain AB thrust.

chetak
BRF Oldie

Postby chetak » 02 Feb 2020 20:30

Indranil wrote:
chetak wrote:HAL has begun some work on the HTFE afterburner too and they seem to have started testing a preliminary version of the afterburner already.

This is just music to my ears. I had no clue. Dil khush kar diya aapne!

Core-1 and Core-2, two engines have been produced and completed 339 runs as of 2019 out of which 96 runs were conducted in 2018-19.

Engine has successfully completed cold starting test at 14 °C with spark igniters and has also achieved 100 per cent max speed with and without IGV modulation.

The company has also initiated the development for integrating afterburner technology on engine.

In March 2019, first test with "basic afterburner" configuration was conducted on the engine

chola
BRF Oldie

Postby chola » 02 Feb 2020 21:26

LakshmanPST wrote:
chola wrote:Taepodong
@stoa1984
·
Jan 20
Finally, WS10 and J-10 survived thanks to Su-27 project. China used an entire heavy double engine fighter fleet to build-up WS10 reliability and progress. Would result in so many crashes if J10 is fitted with early batch WS10.

I think we can try something similar with TEDBF/ORCA to test Kaveri in future once the jets are ready...

Yes, and in fact we can even induct with an uprated Kaveri for those if we are willing to accept specs lesser than the F414 for the sake of our industry. The chinis did that by accepting the early production models of the WS-10 for the J-11B.

Just like Cheen, we won't be able to beat the established players in our first try. But we need to accept that first try so the subsequent attempts can happen. Every new mark will advance the industry. If you won't accept that first one then things will never get off the ground.
Last edited by chola on 02 Feb 2020 21:40, edited 1 time in total.

chola
BRF Oldie

Postby chola » 02 Feb 2020 21:35

Indranil wrote:
arvin wrote:
Japan had to tap GE expertise for the core of its Hondajet which had a modest thrust of 9.2kn.
Jet engine design wise both us and them looks like are at same level. Best to develop IP based on own money and effort and then enter partnership like CFM or Eurojet consortium.

I would not enter a consortium with anybody who could get there just by virtue of funding. We might get a engine out of it, but we would not learn how to design our one.

I like Japan's development of the F-3, XF5, F-7 and XF 9 series of engines. They produce a little more than 9.2 kNs

Indranil, the F-7 high-bypass for their P-1 MPA is 60kN. High-bypass means no AB but they already have a core that is equivalent of a medium fighter engine.

@arvin, no we are not at the same level yet. The Japanese turbofans are powering both test and production aircraft. Ours have not. They have reams of flight data that we do not.

I think a partnership with them is worth the effort. Unlike the big four (US/UK/France/Russia) we might be on more of a equal footing with them on the sharing of IP. Unlike the AL-31 we are making for the MKI and MKI onlee, we need to be building engines that we control.

Indranil
Forum Moderator

Postby Indranil » 02 Feb 2020 23:08

chola wrote:
Indranil wrote:I would not enter a consortium with anybody who could get there just by virtue of funding. We might get a engine out of it, but we would not learn how to design our one.

Indranil, the F-7 high-bypass for their P-1 MPA is 60kN. High-bypass means no AB but they already have a core that is equivalent of a medium fighter engine.

@arvin, no we are not at the same level yet. The Japanese turbofans are powering both test and production aircraft. Ours have not. They have reams of flight data that we do not.

I think a partnership with them is worth the effort. Unlike the big four (US/UK/France/Russia) we might be on more of a equal footing with them on the sharing of IP. Unlike the AL-31 we are making for the MKI and MKI onlee, we need to be building engines that we control.

F-7 is high bypass variant of XF-5, which is the next generation development from the F3-400 which never went into production. The F3 which is the non afterburning variant however powers the T-4 trainers.

Raman
BRFite

Postby Raman » 03 Feb 2020 00:19

Apologies if this was posted earlier. On RSTV 23rd Jan 2020.

chetak
BRF Oldie

Postby chetak » 03 Feb 2020 02:16

chetak wrote:
Indranil wrote:This is just music to my ears. I had no clue. Dil khush kar diya aapne!

Core-1 and Core-2, two engines have been produced and completed 339 runs as of 2019 out of which 96 runs were conducted in 2018-19.

Engine has successfully completed cold starting test at 14 °C with spark igniters and has also achieved 100 per cent max speed with and without IGV modulation.

The company has also initiated the development for integrating afterburner technology on engine.

In March 2019, first test with "basic afterburner" configuration was conducted on the engine

Boost for 'Make in India': HAL's 25 kN aero engine completes inaugural run; can be used for trainer aircraft

Also known as the Hindustan Turbo Fan Engine (HTFE-25), it can be used for basic, intermediate and advanced trainer aircraft. The engine can also be used on business jets and five ton weight class aircraft in single engine configuration and on aircraft of up to nine ton weight class with twin engine configuration.

Parrikar also launched the design and development project of Hindustan Turbo Shaft Engine (HTSE-1200) which can be used for helicopters

The HTSE-1200 can be used for helicopters of 3.5 ton class in the single engine configuration (e.g. LUH) and for 5 to 8 ton class in twin engine configuration (e.g. ALH, LCH). The engine develops a power of 1200 kW at sea level and can operate up to an altitude of 7 km. This project too is undertaken by HAL with its internal resources with an aim of developing the capability of indigenous design and development of turboshaft engines.

Complimenting HAL for undertaking these projects, Parrikar said all out efforts should be made to achieve maximum in the aeronautical engineering with active participation of HAL and the private sector together. "The recent expansion of activities in the aerospace sector as seen in HAL and has potential to turn India into aerospace manufacturing hub. The country would need 4000 to 6000 helicopter engines in the coming years and efforts of HAL to in this direction needs to be appreciated," Parrikar said.

T Suvarna Raju, CMD of HAL said successful running of the 25 kN engine is one of the major mile-stones achieved by the company in its platinum jubilee year contributing to Make-in-India efforts of the government.

"Aero Engine Research & Design Centre (AERDC), HAL, Bengaluru had taken up the Design and Development of a 25 kN thrust class turbofan engine for basic military trainer aircraft. HAL used its internal resources with an aim of producing indigenously designed and developed aero engines in a time frame of six years beginning from 2013. In the first phase of the programme, the design of the full engine and manufacture and testing of the technology demonstrator of the core engine are covered. In the subsequent phases the manufacture and testing of the full engine will follow," the press release said.

Specifications
Data accumulated from various sources (please correct wherever you find)

General characteristics
Type: Turbofan
Length: 1730mm
Diameter: 590mm
Dry weight: 350kg
Components
Compressor: not known
Turbine: not known
Performance
Maximum thrust: 25kN(Dry)/ 35-40kN (Wet thrust expected)
Overall pressure ratio: 20.43
Bypass ratio: 0.50
Fuel consumption: 0.71kg/kgf-hr
Thrust-to-weight ratio: 5.66
Air Mass Flow: 43 kg/s
Max Flight Altitude: 11km
Turbine Entry Temperature: 1450 K

csaurabh
BRFite

Postby csaurabh » 03 Feb 2020 11:41

kit wrote:Composite fan blade manufacture., note the amount of manual work needed

Here is what I noted in that video:

Carbon fibre laminate roll being mounted
Laser cutting ( or perhaps milling ) to cut the laminate into desired shapes
Placement of the laminate parts into the mould ( manual layup, long time )
Adding vacuum bag, put into autoclave for resin injection ( curing time not shown )
Putting some type of tape on the outside surface, not sure why
CNC milling operation ( for getting dimensional tolerances )
CMM for measuring the dimensions
A lot of robotic handling operations using cables and fixtures
Robotic spray painting ( to get an even paint thickness )
CNC milling again
CMM again
Moment of inertia testing? Not sure
Blades being put away in a chamber

All of the above facilities we are having, more or less. At ISRO I have seen, and probably at NAL. So we can probably make the composite fan blades.

But the fan blades are not the problem with the jet engine. It is the hot section and turbine blades, for which the normal composites cannot withstand the temperatures. You need CMC composites for that, and CMC technology is barely there in India at all to my knowledge.

arvin
BRFite

Postby arvin » 03 Feb 2020 14:44

Indranil wrote:

:oops:
they have 16kN, 49kN, 60kN and 107kN thrust.

fanne
BRF Oldie

Postby fanne » 03 Feb 2020 17:34

What is cmc composites?

NRao
BRF Oldie

Postby NRao » 03 Feb 2020 17:56

fanne wrote:What is cmc composites?

2015 vid.

2018 vid.

fanne
BRF Oldie

Postby fanne » 03 Feb 2020 18:22

Something we should have also started few years ago @ NAL? Still not too late for one of the lab to start this - perhaps a directive from PMO with budget

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Postby Rakesh » 03 Feb 2020 20:25

https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/122 ... 48835?s=20 ---> The effort to build a fighter class 110 KN wet-thrust low-bypass turbofan (jet engine) has to be done under the aegis of a special purpose vehicle which will have both public and private stakeholders. I don't see a way around this.

https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/122 ... 63040?s=20 ---> For India these have to get off the ground in the next 2 years.

1. 22-28 nm node semifab, with Gallium Nitride (GaN) based fabrication capability as well.

2. A special purpose vehicle to develop & then build a 110 KN low-bypass turbofan (jet engine) successor to the Kaveri.

chola
BRF Oldie

Postby chola » 03 Feb 2020 20:49

fanne wrote:Something we should have also started few years ago @ NAL? Still not too late for one of the lab to start this - perhaps a directive from PMO with budget

It is never too late for lab to develop anything but can what they develop be manufactured locally?

Rakesh wrote:https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/1224178138025848835?s=20 ---> The effort to build a fighter class 110 KN wet-thrust low-bypass turbofan (jet engine) has to be done under the aegis of a special purpose vehicle which will have both public and private stakeholders. I don't see a way around this.

https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/122 ... 63040?s=20 ---> For India these have to get off the ground in the next 2 years.

1. 22-28 nm node semifab, with Gallium Nitride (GaN) based fabrication capability as well.

2. A special purpose vehicle to develop & then build a 110 KN low-bypass turbofan (jet engine) successor to the Kaveri.

The 110kN will be a cutting edge project like the Kaveri was in the 1980s. We never got the Kaveri into production so we still have no experience there.

GTRE's experience in designing, building and testing the prototypes will help but unless we make some attempt to mass produce the Kaveri (with AB) then we are still in square one. Maybe the non-AB version for Ghatak will help out in the experience front.

But I like to see us use and produce the Kaveri in a jet while we develop the 110kN engine so that when it is ready we would have had production experience with the Kaveri.

arvin
BRFite

Postby arvin » 03 Feb 2020 20:50

Sjha is spot on wrt to SPV. Something like Antrix Ltd equivalent for DRDO will have to created. Or take GTRE out of DRDO and make it GTRE Ltd.

fanne
BRF Oldie

Postby fanne » 03 Feb 2020 21:07

Can we develop a swept wing, dual engine UAV (swept wing for higher Mach, like say .7 Mach), a very stable plane, with guaranteed auto landing and take off, and not much other sub systems. One engine fitted with any proven engine - Adour, RD-33, f404, al31f and other for Air testing of any engine under development.

maitya
BR Mainsite Crew

Postby maitya » 03 Feb 2020 21:52

chetak wrote:

Specifications
Data accumulated from various sources (please correct wherever you find)

General characteristics
Type: Turbofan
Length: 1730mm
Diameter: 590mm
Dry weight: 350kg
Components
Compressor: not known
Turbine: not known
Performance
Maximum thrust: 25kN(Dry)/ 35-40kN (Wet thrust expected)
Overall pressure ratio: 20.43
Bypass ratio: 0.50
Fuel consumption: 0.71kg/kgf-hr
Thrust-to-weight ratio: 5.66
Air Mass Flow: 43 kg/s
Max Flight Altitude: 11km
Turbine Entry Temperature: 1450 K

Here's the comparo between Kaveri and HTFE - something that Indranil had asked for many months back, but never got the b/w to get to it.
Anyway here it is ... will analyse etc later!!!

Indranil
Forum Moderator

Postby Indranil » 04 Feb 2020 04:51

You are very close with those first order calculations. At AI'19, the gent presenting HTFE said that the engine can easily go up to 35 kN of thrust. I am assuming he meant dry thrust.

Above post belongs to gyan-only I made for you. Let me know if you are having a problem posting there.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Postby Rakesh » 06 Feb 2020 01:34

Ready to partner India, transfer technology of jet engine: Safran
https://m.economictimes.com/news/defenc ... 950370.cms
By Manu Pubby, 05 Feb 2020

Indranil
Forum Moderator

Postby Indranil » 06 Feb 2020 03:01

Rakesh wrote:Ready to partner India, transfer technology of jet engine: Safran

Ghanta. Jab sahi mein paisa deke collaboration maanga, tab nahi diya! Rafale ke saath maanga, tab nahi diya. Ab muft mein doge. Ghanta!!!

BS. Wein we entered a legal and binding collaboration, nothing was given. When we asked for it as part of the Rafale deal, it was not given. Are we supposed to trust empty words now. I cry "wolf!"

nachiket
Forum Moderator

Postby nachiket » 06 Feb 2020 04:22

Whenever anyone says the words "We will transfer Jet Engine technology" you can safely point a finger at them and call them a liar because that will always be the case.

V_Raman
BRFite

Postby V_Raman » 06 Feb 2020 04:29

I dont fully understand why Kaveri as it exists cannot be mated to a LCA and at least ground tested.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Postby Rakesh » 06 Feb 2020 05:27

https://twitter.com/sjha1618/status/122 ... 39490?s=21 —> I think Safran and Rolls Royce are front-runners in the race to emerge as a foreign collaborator for India's effort to develop a build a 110 KN low-bypass turbofan (jet engine) for powering the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft.

ks_sachin
BRFite

Postby ks_sachin » 06 Feb 2020 05:43

V_Raman wrote:I dont fully understand why Kaveri as it exists cannot be mated to a LCA and at least ground tested.

Ground testing is not the gap....

kit
BRF Oldie

Postby kit » 06 Feb 2020 05:46

Indranil wrote:

Ghanta. Jab sahi mein paisa deke collaboration maanga, tab nahi diya! Rafale ke saath maanga, tab nahi diya. Ab muft mein doge. Ghanta!!!

BS. Wein we entered a legal and binding collaboration, nothing was given. When we asked for it as part of the Rafale deal, it was not given. Are we supposed to trust empty words now. I cry "wolf!"

What better proof that India is within its goal of self reliance in Jet engine tech ? ., it may not be the state of the art now, but it will get there ..

maitya
BR Mainsite Crew

Postby maitya » 06 Feb 2020 11:57

V_Raman wrote:I dont fully understand why Kaveri as it exists cannot be mated to a LCA and at least ground testedflown in regular squadrons as squadron reserve platforms.

There, corrected it for you ...

JayS
Forum Moderator

Postby JayS » 06 Feb 2020 12:25

Indranil wrote:You are very close with those first order calculations. At AI'19, the gent presenting HTFE said that the engine can easily go up to 35 kN of thrust. I am assuming he meant dry thrust.

Above post belongs to gyan-only I made for you. Let me know if you are having a problem posting there.

Not dry but wet, in this context ie the intended Mil application. But in other context, as a high BPR civil jet engine for Business jet class like the Falcon series, it could.I think.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Postby Rakesh » 07 Feb 2020 22:52

After France, now UK pitches for joint development of future fighter jet engine
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 987992.cms
By Manu Pubby, 07 Feb 2020

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Postby Rakesh » 07 Feb 2020 22:57

Agupta & Maitya Sirs: Can we install this engine on HJT-36?

Drag & Drop pictures into new window for larger size....

https://twitter.com/ReviewVayu/status/1 ... 11137?s=20 ---> HTFE-25 Core Engine Sea Level Trials Successful: The team of AERDC achieved a milestone with successful competition of Hindustan Turbo Fan Engine (HTFE)- 25 sea level trials at Tambaram Air Force Station, Chennai.

https://twitter.com/ReviewVayu/status/1 ... 92896?s=20 ----> Core engine of HTFE-25 was tested for various phases including starting trials with indigenously designed and developed Air Producer (AP) and Air Turbine Starter (ATS). Light-up trials with different fuel flow settings/air inlet temperature condition were carried out.

agupta
BRFite

Postby agupta » 08 Feb 2020 03:25

Rakesh wrote:Agupta & Maitya Sirs: Can we install this engine on HJT-36?

In theory, yes...design goals/dimensions seems to be targeted for it; even if heavier than the AL-55, should get to similar T/W.

That said, putting a new engine on a single engine but still-maturing HJT-36 ??? I think Indranil has alluded to this before, if the A/B module development can go fast or is going well, then the best scenario would be to put it on a Jaguar. FADEC development status for HTFE-25 is also something that has seen Zero commentary so far, so who knows how far/mature that is ... can also be a pacing technology item.

Really unclear to me if HJT-36 has a near term future (say 5 yrs) beyond technology/component/system integration capability demonstrator... so close it down with a "moral victory" may be the strategy? IIRC a couple of days ago, didn't HVT's reply on a related question focus more on the HTT-40 than HJT-36 revival?

nachiket
Forum Moderator

Postby nachiket » 08 Feb 2020 03:28

When the IAF starts retiring the non-DARIN3 upgraded Jaguars, HAL should acquire one as a test-bed for HTFE-25 based developments.

IAF has shelved plans to re-engine the Jaguars so we are unlikely to see HTFE-25 powered Jaguars in actual service.

agupta
BRFite

Postby agupta » 08 Feb 2020 03:42

nachiket wrote:When the IAF starts retiring the non-DARIN3 upgraded Jaguars, HAL should acquire one as a test-bed for HTFE-25 based developments.

IAF has shelved plans to re-engine the Jaguars so we are unlikely to see HTFE-25 powered Jaguars in actual service.

True that.

With the fleet we have though, I would love to see the Jaguars converted into loyal wingmen with the HTFEs :) All UCAVs don't have to be stealthy/Ghataks, right? Somehow the idea of a bunch of 3+ and 4+ airframes with innovations in systems, ConOps/tactics, training and "integration" seems more feasible, affordable and up IAF's alley than the shift to Gen 5.

(not saying that's system optimal ;) - thats just indulging the teenager left in me who imagines aerial battles like quasi 2D chess - unconstrained from multiple realities)

hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Postby hanumadu » 09 Feb 2020 01:17

Updates on Kaveri - from around midway through the video. According to people from the DRDO stall at Defexpo, Kaveri is able to attain 81KN but its just not sustainable for longer periods. Screech and rumble solved.

fanne
BRF Oldie

Postby fanne » 09 Feb 2020 03:09

F404 specs are dry thrust 48 KN and WET 79kn. Kaveri was always good with dry, wet had problems. Wet is now at 81 KN, not sustainable though. I think we have reached a stage where we need to put the dry and run it to refine it more (UCAV?), but maybe a MIG 29, one engine kaveri, just run non afterburner. When confidence/changes are done in AF mode, use that in that test bed. Theory is over, now time for practical testing.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Postby Rakesh » 09 Feb 2020 03:24

Very good news. Very happy if the Kaveri has achieved 81 kN. Sustainability will be the next goal.

Will wait for engine gurus to chime in.

Indranil
Forum Moderator

Postby Indranil » 09 Feb 2020 10:08

hanumadu wrote:Updates on Kaveri - from around midway through the video. According to people from the DRDO stall at Defexpo, Kaveri is able to attain 81KN but its just not sustainable for longer periods. Screech and rumble solved.

This is so unfortunate! I like his reporting. But for the Rustom II updates, he basically read out Anantha Krishnan's report without giving him any credit. Is this fair to a reporter who earns his bread through his writing?

Indranil
Forum Moderator

Postby Indranil » 09 Feb 2020 10:57

JayS wrote:
Indranil wrote:You are very close with those first order calculations. At AI'19, the gent presenting HTFE said that the engine can easily go up to 35 kN of thrust. I am assuming he meant dry thrust.

Not dry but wet, in this context ie the intended Mil application. But in other context, as a high BPR civil jet engine for Business jet class like the Falcon series, it could.I think.

I am not so sure that he was speaking of wet thrust. I think we was speaking of materials. With a higher TET. See the quoted part below. I think with a 25 kN engine, they can easily get 40kN of wet thrust.

https://aquantumofmind.wordpress.com/2015/10/31/presentation-on-heat-resistant-coating-for-scbs-of-al-31fp-aeroindia-2015/
Q&A

Q: Why fan under loaded and HPC overloaded (looking at PR)?
A: Only core is being focused on right now. Fan/LPT design will change based on platform requirement.

Q: Surge margin for HPC targeted?
A: Not fixed. Normally its 14-19%.

Q: Which material for Turbine blades?
A: FOr IJT, TIT=1455K, so Inconel718 used. For AJT, something else can be used.

Q: What about Compressor?
A: Forged Titanium. And machined as blisks. Laser welding. First 4 stg = Ti, Last = Inconel718. HPC bolted – like in Al-55. First priority is to get Turbines and gearbox tested and validated (Other parts well within capability). Once this is done, core testing will go on for high altitude test etc, in parallel two (platform specific?) prototypes will be built.

Q: Why build 25kN engine when HAL license mfg same thrust class engines (adour-871 et al). Why not make Al-55 replacement?
A: Initially 20kN was proposed. Since Al-55 is ~17kN, a 20kN would have been good for IJT MK2. But the higher authorities went with 25kN. Wrt adour871 advantage in technology (smaller size, PR 11 vs 20, ~600mm vs ~450mm Turbine dia – huge turbine operating at lower rpm for Adour) , weight and size. So This engine while replacing Adour would give better performance. This engine can be used for Jagaur (which has 28kN engine) as well. Just need to change mounting points (and perhaps LP module?). Its very easy to adjust the design to various thrust levels by changing materials etc. Analysis already done. With similar core 35-40kN is achievable easily. SFC for this engine 0.72, better than older engines. 

HAL has a great engine on their hands. I wish they design an engine with ~36kN of dry thrust and ~54 kN of wet thrust. They can design an awesome AJT/LIFT based on that.

Arun.prabhu
BRFite

Postby Arun.prabhu » 09 Feb 2020 11:31

Then let’s get it in the air. Endurance can be solved while we work on the certification.

hanumadu wrote:Updates on Kaveri - from around midway through the video. According to people from the DRDO stall at Defexpo, Kaveri is able to attain 81KN but its just not sustainable for longer periods. Screech and rumble solved.

Return to “Military Issues & History Forum”