Women in Combat

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Re: Women in Combat

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/HarsimratBadal_/sta ... 0673313792 ---> My heartiest congratulations to Flight Lieutenant Hina Jaiswal for scripting history and becoming the first woman flight engineer in the Indian Air Force. She will inspire many girls to follow her path.

https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1096292887032020997 ---> Indian Air Force inducts Flight Lieutenant Hina Jaiswal as first woman flight engineer. She hails from Chandigarh and has completed her Bachelor of Engineering degree from Panjab University. As a Flight Engineer, she would subsequently be posted to operational helicopter units of the IAF.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/nitinpurandare/stat ... 89346?s=20 ---> The most inspiring women’s magazine cover ever! What say friends?

V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

Indeed - pranams to the general and kudos to the magazine!
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

^^^ What elegance!

Lt. Gen. Kanitkar from Armed Forces Medical College in Pune.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

CRPF Mahila Battalion | Patriot With Major Gaurav Arya (Retd)
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

https://twitter.com/MeghUpdates/status/ ... 1186953219

Megh Updates Police cars revolving light
@MeghUpdates
NSG releases Photo of it's Elite Mahila Commando Team for the First time on #InternationalWomensDay .

Just WoW !!!! Folded handsFlag of India
सर्वत्र सर्वोत्तम सुरक्षा
Omnipresent Omnipotent Security
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

Somehow I am not comfortable with women in the special forces. While the photo-ops and image management is fine and dandy, hope the gobmint will not use them as the tip of the spear.

The physical and mental toughness required in the forces should not be diluted in the interest of promoting diversity and appearing in some foreign mag tom-tomming equality.
AkshaySG
BRFite

Post by AkshaySG »

asgkhan wrote:Somehow I am not comfortable with women in the special forces. While the photo-ops and image management is fine and dandy, hope the gobmint will not use them as the tip of the spear.

The physical and mental toughness required in the forces should not be diluted in the interest of promoting diversity and appearing in some foreign mag tom-tomming equality.
Well there are several situations in which its far easier for a women to infiltrate than a well built man , This region is still conservative and more so in Kashmir, POK etc and people are extremely wary to military age males but women can go in and out with a more natural ease , More so if they're under a burkha for ex .Secondly their fighting abilities and strength can be underestimated by a lot of people and that can hand them a unique advantage

Not all spec ops requires heavy duty lifting and physical perfection , There can always be situations where going unnoticed and stealth is the name of the game .Definitely worthwhile to have highly trained females for any such situation
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Women can be as tough as men in high stress, high risk situations. While men may draw their strength from inner aggression and desire to dominate and defeat, women draw their strength from their instinct to protect and tenacity. Both have their place and can complement each other in a host of situations, both are capable of making the ultimate sacrifice, unflinchingly.

An example:

The Untold Story of Kamlesh Kumari, the First Policewoman to Be Awarded Ashok Chakra

darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

asgkhan wrote:Somehow I am not comfortable with women in the special forces. While the photo-ops and image management is fine and dandy, hope the gobmint will not use them as the tip of the spear.

Reason, logic and practicality are not the traits around which this country is run. Instead it is the social justice and secularism circus which reigns supreme here.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

Women are not a part of SAG. In fact SAG is a very small part of NSG.
Neilz
BRFite

Post by Neilz »

asgkhan wrote: NSG releases Photo of it's Elite Mahila Commando Team for the First time on #InternationalWomensDay .
When you know it's stupid don't post
Last edited by Rakesh on 10 Mar 2021 20:25, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Ramana
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

AkshaySG wrote:Well there are several situations in which its far easier for a women to infiltrate than a well built man , This region is still conservative and more so in Kashmir, POK etc and people are extremely wary to military age males but women can go in and out with a more natural ease , More so if they're under a burkha for ex .Secondly their fighting abilities and strength can be underestimated by a lot of people and that can hand them a unique advantage

Not all spec ops requires heavy duty lifting and physical perfection , There can always be situations where going unnoticed and stealth is the name of the game .Definitely worthwhile to have highly trained females for any such situation
I am not trivialising the strength of women. What I meant was, there are studies which shows women were unable to come close to 20% of hard fitness displayed by men. In fire-fighting, they failed to carry the equivalent weight carried by male fire-fighters. Some could not force open the door. They struggle to reach minimum of pushups, pull ups and situps.

Also women-pows will trigger a massive shitstorm complicating achieving the objectives of mission.

In these days of political correctness, woke-diseased-thinking and getting on global news-letters, the bar required for achieving the cap should not be lowered.

Btw, I have a daughter and I am all for empowerement, but it should be equality based not by special favors.
Neilz
BRFite

Post by Neilz »

asgkhan wrote:
Also women-pows will trigger a massive shitstorm complicating achieving the objectives of mission.

In these days of political correctness, woke-diseased-thinking and getting on global news-letters, the bar required for achieving the cap should not be lowered.
Just thinking why it is us who have to dealt with disadvantages if a "women" POW becomes reality. Why we can not push it on the other side that harming or taking a women pow is end of humanity yadda yadda etc.. use the wokes to our advantage and steamroll the other side. Would the case be same if it was Kiran not Kulbhushan ?

Not an equivalent, but food for thought... there was a mix futsal tournament in some corporate. When every team was strategizing how to shield the women or cajoling them not to take part, there was one team, who was thinking exactly opposite, that is males will not come close to female for fear of hurting them or worst "inappropriate touch to molestation" charges. So let them be near the goal so that they can sneak in easily. :idea:

To me it depends, what is the use case scenario the armed forces kept in mind. Nor everything perceived deficiency a deal breaker neither every perceived advantages can cut through. Having options matters.

3 points I would like to mention here:
1. Sinouli graves had women soldiers.
2. In British India many women faced atrocities but was spearheading the revolution in covert way.
3. Rampyari Gurjar and her women regiment was the key to defeat Savage Taimur.

[edited]
YashG
BRFite

Post by YashG »

I wud second that all missions are not women but many urban mixed espionage missions can benefit from some women crew - especially within our borders. Think of infiltrating a locality in suburban Mumbai, where we think terrorists are hiding. Or a mission in Johannesberg to neutralise some anti-national cells.
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I1E9Ywhoek

Veer by Discovery presents a documentary on Commando School Belgaum which has produced finest and elite Indian Commandos who are born to fight and trained to eliminate the enemy in difficult and extreme situations. Check out commando training documentaries from Veer by

Commandos have to go through a gruelling training for 35 days. Soldiers will have to conquer their deepest fears, come face to face with their weaknesses and prove that they have what it takes to be a commando. They are trained to do or die because there won't be any second chance in an actual combat situation.
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

Now I would gladly support if wimmen-loga clear the same requirements as shown in the documentary above.

Till then, the armed forces in general should keep of tokenism and encourage the population to enter the AFs on merit, irrespective of gender.
Neilz
BRFite

Post by Neilz »

In muscle power women will never match men is a given, and in this forum all understand that. Definitely armed forces understand that even better.

But using only muscle power as single focus argument to nullify any advantages a women brings to suits a need by using the word tokenism is not right choice of word/directives. It also kind of saying armed forces are stupid enough to not have any thought process to know the need of women cadet in their ranks.

Whatever needed is needed. Of course women will be lesser in number in job where muscle power is supreme. Of course there will be different standard as Men != Women in muscle power. As long as sane minds are in play where there will be specific needs for women, for which the women recruits will be trained accordingly.

We must be worry if the entry of women is only for some "social equality". So far I don't see that happening in India. For future we really can only speculate.

West tried to fits women in men's shoes and then cry all sorts of nonsense , I think we no need to extrapolate those nonsense on us unnecessarily. Lets west do their shits, lets us chart our own destiny.

[edit]

Compare to India, how many women do west have in their civilizational history to claim understanding of women power in warfare. Why we have to nullify our civilizational memory to fits into narratives of "useless" women.
Theeran
BRFite

Post by Theeran »

Looks like some here need to read up on Velu Nachiyar, Kuyili and countless other women warriors in our history.
AkshaySG
BRFite

Post by AkshaySG »

asgkhan wrote:

I am not trivialising the strength of women. What I meant was, there are studies which shows women were unable to come close to 20% of hard fitness displayed by men. In fire-fighting, they failed to carry the equivalent weight carried by male fire-fighters. Some could not force open the door. They struggle to reach minimum of pushups, pull ups and situps.

Btw, I have a daughter and I am all for empowerement, but it should be equality based not by special favors.

This is irrelevant tbh

We're not talking about the average women here.. These are highly trained, highly qualified operatives who will be used in select missions where their capabilities are more suited

Female Secret Agents and Female Special Operatives have long been a part of covert and SF activities in all major countries and its imperative that India have its own set of such professionals.
Its not that difficult to comprehend situations both internally and in the border villages where female operatives would be more suited.

Let's say there's a need to pose as a married couple to gain access undetected.. . You'd prefer them to pick up some random woman for the ride?

Plenty of cases where terrorists use females under Burkha to carry out bombings/stonings in markets, rallies etc where men are easily spotted, Shouldn't there be operatives who can mix in with such a crowd?

Nobody is going to shoehorn them into missions or situations where male operatives are better suited or that the mission requires more physical strength and endurance . It is always better to have such a unit and not need to use them rather than not have them at all.

Also who says they're being given "special favors" or and weren't picked on the basis of their skills?... The fact that one sees women special operatives and your mind immediately goes to "woke diseased thinking and political correctness" is weird at the least.
asgkhan wrote:Now I would gladly support if wimmen-loga clear the same requirements as shown in the documentary above.

Till then, the armed forces in general should keep of tokenism and encourage the population to enter the AFs on merit, irrespective of gender.

The Strike groups /special action groups etc are a small part of the broader team of soldiers, analysts, Intel officers, pilots etc etc that make up a NSG/SAS/Seal team, so just because someone is a part of "Special Forces" doesn't mean their job is all about intense fighting. Different missions have different parameters which require different strengths.. It is important that we remain flexible to accomplish all of them
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

AkshaySG wrote:....
What you are saying does make sense. Intelligence agencies around the world use this format to infiltrate their targets. Following their cue the elite special forces like SFOD, Devgru and israeli SF have also been inducting limited number of qualified women for executing niche tasks.

However things are different here in India. Here Social Justice warriors are not talking about female covert operatives. They will not rest until they subvert each and every fighting and security unit in the country. Inducting females is just a start. Then they will insist on giving appointments to flamboyant gays followed by Trannys. If you do not believe me just go through the below report. And trust me this is not parody or fake news.

trannies to be recruited in Bihar policeman

By the way it is BJP which is ruling in Bihar. Shows a lot about their priorities. This is how both your and my tax money is being utilised by the rulers of this nation. Social justice and secularism clownery has become the driving narrative of this country.

Before you think that Bihar is an exception, the central govt also is thinking upon the same lines wrt CAPFs and Paramilitary.

Trannies for paramilitary

The situation is not looking good for this country. We are hellbent on copying the worst traits of US and west by becoming more and more woke. In the process we forget that they only embraced wokeism after they became rich and developed and much after they militarily vanquished and subjugated their enemies.
Last edited by Rakesh on 10 Mar 2021 20:26, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Please DO NOT quote entire posts when replying. Post Edited.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

Theeran wrote:Looks like some here need to read up on Velu Nachiyar, Kuyili and countless other women warriors in our history.
Being dependent on women for securing any nation and too much glamourising of females in military points to one major flaw in that society. That the men of such a nation are weak and impotent(i.e in spirit). If this is indeed the case then this nation deserves to be colonized and enslaved.

Ofcourse certain number of women will be required for niche security and intelligence duties. That is about it.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Folks, do remember it is not the firing of muscle fibers anymore, of which men might have a genetic advantage. It is about triggering chemical reactions in a cartridge and in some cases, pointing electromagnetic radiation (like that air combat controller at post-Balakote), than a takedown or a punch.

Even for inflicting human powered causality, a woman with a weapon that she knows how to use can kill anyone posting above with an equality that is to be seen to be believed. Both male and female skin needs only 20 Newtons for penetration and that is for edge or pointed weapons powered by human strength. Not the chemical powered ones.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20290990.html

So darshhan this forum is not for you to present your ridiculous biases like that last post. Any such post on weak/impotence etc will result in a long ban.
AkshaySG
BRFite

Post by AkshaySG »

darshhan wrote:
Being dependent on women for securing any nation and too much glamourising of females in military points to one major flaw in that society. That the men of such a nation are weak and impotent(i.e in spirit). If this is indeed the case then this nation deserves to be colonized and enslaved.

Ofcourse certain number of women will be required for niche security and intelligence duties. That is about it.
Wow.. That's just a massive leap you've taken right there,

Having a small team of women operatives for certain tasks doesn't mean that we're dependent on them or even close to it... Army was, is and will remain overwhelmingly male and especially so in combat roles.

And I don't know by what warped logic you think that giving the female warriors of our past the respect they deserve is somehow a sign of weakness and impotency. All those who gave their lives for the cause deserve to be praised and revered regardless of gender or faith.

Btw do tell how much glamorizing is too much?.. Because this all started from a simple picture about few female soldiers .. 100's of similar ones have been posted previously about our fighting men and we praised their quality, skills and competency as we should

And yet one pic about female ops and words like "woke, impotency, favors, weak" start flying around.

This just comes off as insecure on our part..

I'm gonna stop this right here because it's devolved from a discussion on Special forces to something about the society and as such is off topic but we should just trust the Army to know best when and how to use their soldiers
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

Theeran wrote:Looks like some here need to read up on Velu Nachiyar, Kuyili and countless other women warriors in our history.
Outliers are an exception. Not a norm. I pray the services to recruit based on merit without diluting the standards.

I am not from Bhajanmandali or a woke-tard here looking to over-use my salivatory glands on imaginary social issues to score some free pack of biskoots from admins, unlike certain posters who have prematurely jumped the gun.

The same enthusiasm was shown in recruiting women in US Firefighting forces. Majority failed as they could not even do basic tasks as breaking the door, carry unconscious victims (dummies) during the training exercise.

Also havent we seen women officers refusing to take up hardship postings and demanding special privileges in IA?

I want critical judgement and judicious thinking before going all woke.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

There is a "Women in Combat" thread to discuss the above issues: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3457&start=520. Please move the discussion there.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

nachiket, sorry, but got to sort this out here!
asgkhan wrote: I am not from Bhajanmandali or a woke-tard here looking to over-use my salivatory glands on imaginary social issues to score some free pack of biskoots from admins, unlike certain posters who have prematurely jumped the gun.

The same enthusiasm was shown in recruiting women in US Firefighting forces. Majority failed as they could not even do basic tasks as breaking the door, carry unconscious victims (dummies) during the training exercise.

Also havent we seen women officers refusing to take up hardship postings and demanding special privileges in IA?

I want critical judgement and judicious thinking before going all woke.
asgkhan, you know that admins have been more than benign with you, despite you going off the deep end sometimes? Or are you supporting a particular poster and picking a fight with admins for pointing out the posters’ ridiculous notions of manliness etc.

Also throwing the word “woke” and expecting everyone else to agree to what you have to say is also not cool. What you said makes no sense - a lot of modern military roles do not need the strength of a fireman or a bar bouncer. To inflict casualties and fatalities, a modern soldier or operative don’t need a lot of effort. And endurance is also not a gender specific issue. If you want to bring in firemen etc, would like to point out that in lot of cutting edge missions of DRDO or ISRO, woman managers have risen up the ranks and soldiered on without much fanfare, making mission critical decisions. Something that is relevant to modern warfighters and battle managers.

Woke has got nothing to do with it - it is about tapping 50% more of your population for talents needed in modern battlefield.
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

Nairgolis-saar, I am greatful for the leniency shown by the breadetors on this humble abdool.

What I am trying to draw the attention is to the fact to stop blindly aping the west. We see a template successfully developed and applied, break the institution and then repeat it across our desh.

There are aap-tards, congee-pasands posters, I dont have a problem with them. If you see my post on the spec forces was clear. No dilution of standards.

The responses to that posts, if you analyse closely will point to the way of thinking.

I am neither regressive or misogynistic, but pointing to the fact that in the race to be modern, progressive and other western bakwaas, basic and fundamentals SOPs are not in place yet.

I just want to point out that this woke-ism is cancer and has a significant potential to damage the stable fabric of the society. Need to guard against that.
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

Just to add to the above posts, hope the following structures are put in place,

1. Sexual Harassment panels, which can destroy the careers.
2. Gender Neutral postings and absence of special preference.
3. No dilution in standards & hardships.

Else, a incident will be picked, forces image will be maligned and dragged through the mud.

Just an example, male judges in SC prefer to appoint male stenos due to fear of being accused of sexual harassment.
Even the most powerful institution in our country is not spared.

Few Wiki points:
The following is a list of issues at the center of the debate whether or not gender integration lends to combat effectiveness. The debate centers more on the physical characteristics of individual women rather than the question of their overall contributions to teams and units. A detailed study was also done by Global Policy on the ongoing debate, which categorizes the following criticisms.[82]

Physical concerns
The Center for Military Readiness, an organization that seeks to limit women's participation in the military, stated that “Female soldiers [are], on average, shorter and smaller than men, with 45-50% less upper body strength and 25-30% less aerobic capacity, which is essential for endurance”.[83]

Motherhood accounts for 58% of hospitalizations among active-duty female troops.

A 2014-2015 experiment by the Marine Corps with a gender-integrated combat unit found that women were twice as likely to suffer injuries significant enough to remove them from duty, and that women's shooting accuracy was much less than that of men in simulated combat situations. Female soldiers were also found to have lower performance in the basic combat tasks like negotiating obstacles and removing wounded troops from the battlefield.[84][85]

The female skeletal system is less dense, and more prone to breakages.[86][87] There is also a concern that, in aviation, the female body is not as adept at handling the increased g-forces experienced by combat pilots. Furthermore, health issues regarding women are argued as the reason that some submarine services avoid accepting women, although mixed-gender accommodations in a small space is also an issue, as is explained in more depth below.[83]

In the Austrian Armed Forces and almost all NATO countries, significantly lower physical performance requirements for entrance and subsequent tests apply to female soldiers in determining fitness for service.[88][89] The Swiss Armed Forces abolished this advantage for female soldiers in 2007.[90]

Social concerns
The purported disruption of a combat unit's morale is cited as another reason for women to be banned from front-line combat situations.[91][92][93]

There is a secondary concern that romantic relationships between men and women on the front lines could disrupt a unit's fighting capability and a fear that a high number of women would deliberately become pregnant in order to escape combat duties.[94] To compare, the U.S. military is substantially staffed by young women. The volunteer military has turned out to be "family friendly". Marriage is frequent and fertility levels are increasing to this day in the military.[95][96]

A third argument against the inclusion of women in combat units is that placing women in combat where they are at risk of being captured and tortured and possibly sexually assaulted is unacceptable.[96] Rhonda Cornum, then a Major and flight surgeon, and now a Brigadier General and Command Surgeon for United States Army Forces Command, was an Iraqi prisoner of war in 1991. At the time, she was asked not to mention that she had been molested while in captivity.[97]

Finally, there is the argument that by not incorporating women into combat, the American government is failing to tap into another source of soldiers for military combat operations. This argument claims that the government is creating a military that treats women as second-class citizens and not equals of men.[98]

Tactical concerns
Lieutenant colonel Dave Grossman's book On Killing briefly mentions that female soldiers in the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) have been officially prohibited from serving in close combat military operations since 1948. The reason for removing female soldiers from the front lines was due less to the performance of female soldiers, and more due to the behavior of the male infantrymen after witnessing a woman wounded. The IDF saw a complete loss of control over soldiers who apparently experienced an instinctual protective aggression that was uncontrollable, severely degrading the unit's combat effectiveness. However, in 2001, subsequent to the publication of Grossman's book, women did begin serving in IDF combat units on an experimental basis. There is now a male-female infantry battalion, the Caracal Battalion.

In a similar vein, Melody Kemp mentions that the Australian military has also voiced similar concerns saying their soldiers "are reluctant to take women on reconnaissance or special operations, as they fear that in the case of combat or discovery, their priority will be to save the women and not to complete the mission. Thus while men might be able to be programmed to kill, it is not as easy to program men to neglect women."[99]

Recent studies from Harvard Business School and MIT have shown that group intelligence of an organization rises when women are on teams. Women tend to bring a level of sensitivity and the ability to read emotions of other people. In today's battlefield experiences, social sensitivity is a very much needed skill for military professionals. Having women in the military would dramatically increase the ability to extract critical intelligence. This could possibly be the difference between a mission's success or failure.[100]

Grossman also notes that Islamic militants rarely, if ever, surrender to female soldiers. Similarly, Iraqi and Afghan civilians are often not intimidated by female soldiers.

Combat support
In modern warfare, however, where "winning minds" and gaining intelligence can prove more important at times than enemy casualties, having female soldiers serving alongside a combat unit may have some advantages. For example, the use of female US military personnel attached to combat units specifically for the purpose of performing culturally sensitive searches such as in the USMC Lioness program which used female Marines to search females[101] at checkpoints both on the Iraq-Syrian border[102] and inside urban areas.[103] Another example is the US Army Cultural Support Teams (CSTs). that accompany special operations teams and work alongside them providing access to the needs of and information and from local community women in communities where contact between male soldiers and civilian women is culturally fraught.[104]

Women made a huge impact in 2010 when the United States Army began utilizing Female Engagement Teams in Afghanistan. The main purpose for these teams was to engage more female populations where such combat was not possible by male service members. These teams perform a number of duties, including intelligence gathering, relationship building, and humanitarian efforts.[56]

There is evidence showing women in both Iraq and Afghanistan have had considerable success in acquiring intelligence from children and women. In these cases the US military adheres to local customs for the purposes of counterinsurgency, whereby males are not permitted to talk to women who are not in their family or are not married to them.[105]
While getting teams of wimmen for search and intelligence gathering within the borders is good and shows very good results, getting them to act behind a enemy lines is fraught with risks (unacceptable?)
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

darshan, asgkhan,
Going by your biased view (can't call it logic) only Haryanvi Jats or Punjabi Sikhs should be in SF, since they confirm to your Schwarzenegger image, and there is no place for a southie Swarnashekhar or a NE Mary Kom or a Gurhka since significant raw strength differential may exist between Jats and the rest. By the same token, thin wiry Indian SFs would be no match for beefy Rambos of US SFs ?

Hope you begin to see how ridiculous this line of argument is.

It also shows how limited your understanding of SF operations is. Its never hours of breaking doors by hand, lifting 2 comrades and carrying them 10 kms uphill, or repeated hand to hand combat against a dozen baddies who keep coming. Scenes like these are what SFs plan very carefully to avoid 95% of time. In case they happen, they'll call for reinforcements. They spend hours, even days staking out targets, creeping ahead for reconnaissance, collecting humint, trekking back to base etc. Even in surgical strikes, there was no physical contact with tangos, everything was done at standoff distance with no casualties. I have no doubt if trained women SF operatives were part of those teams, the results would be the same.

And why presume training standards will be diluted for women? Hypothetically, If men had to lift 50 kilos and women had to lift only 40 in an exercise it doesn't mean diluting the standard. It mans setting the standard that is at the same level of difficulty for respective sexes. SF trainings are about making trainees discovering their own breaking point and going beyond it. Physical strength is but a minor part of the success mantra here. The rest of the skills and tactics are not merely force dependent.

I remember seeing a real life doc on French GIGN selection and training. The instructors said huge beefy frames typically do not make the cut. They need more calories, and tend to suffer more in extreme cold or heat, and show less endurance. The batch they were following had one such giant. He was exceptional. He held the whole team together through toughest times by being a leader and showed phenomenal mental toughness. He told the camera, his frame was a handicap in getting into cramped spaces, he lacked the agility of his slimmer buddies, and his brute strength was rarely solicited. He said he had to dig deep and focus on motivating himself and others and thus prove that he had his place in the team.

Lastly, rest assured, our training schools know what they are doing. They have inducted female operatives to fill specific gaps or needs they have identified where they believe women can do better. Not the other way round.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

As a civilian all I care about is that the individual wearing the uniform is fully trained and motivated to do the job they have been selected to do.

If that's not the case, then we are fcuked. It is immaterial if the individual is a male or female or trans.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Given the discussion on the special forces thread regarding the suitability for women in special forces.

I have some questions and I would like to have some clarity. The questions I have are not specifically addressing females. These questions might be relevant to the nube thread as well.

The standards of fitness that have been created for a person to be selected in the forces. How have they been arrived at.

The basic combat load that an infantryman has to carry, how has that been arrived at. Please note that the question is only relevant to the infantryman.

In other trades, tools may be available for the job to be completed. Eg replacement of tank engine cannot be done purely by human labour in the field. Even the world's strongest man will not be able to lift a tank engine. It will need a crane to lift the engine and transmission. So it makes no difference who is turning to spanner or operating the crane to connect the engine with the vehicles drive shaft.

The minimum hight and weight for men and women how have they been arrived at.

The time in which a run has to be completed to qualify for entry in service.

Once we have a clear understanding of the above we may develop a better ability to appreciate the decision making process of the armed forces.
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

Pratyush wrote:As a civilian all I care about is that the individual wearing the uniform is fully trained and motivated to do the job they have been selected to do.

If that's not the case, then we are fcuked. It is immaterial if the individual is a male or female or trans.
++ Amen to that bro.
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

Cyrano wrote:darshan, asgkhan,
Going by your biased view (can't call it logic) only Haryanvi Jats or Punjabi Sikhs should be in SF, since they confirm to your Schwarzenegger image, and there is no place for a southie Swarnashekhar or a NE Mary Kom or a Gurhka since significant raw strength differential may exist between Jats and the rest. By the same token, thin wiry Indian SFs would be no match for beefy Rambos of US SFs ?
My line of discussion is towards dilution of training and recruitment standards. I am not making any other references.
asgkhan
BRFite

Post by asgkhan »

I just finished reading David Goggins's auto biography - Cant hurt me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Goggins

I am assuming it is almost the same for our special forces.

Now if you look @ the brutality of hell week, the stamina and strength required, I hope women can pass it without any preferential treatment.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

To All: Stop with misogyny please. Women have earned their place in the Armed Forces. No more on this on the forum.
asgkhan wrote:While getting teams of wimmen for search and intelligence gathering within the borders is good and shows very good results, getting them to act behind a enemy lines is fraught with risks (unacceptable?)
Learn how to spell the word W-O-M-A-N first and then come back to BRF. You have earned a one month ban for this and other nonsensical posts on this issue.
asgkhan wrote:Now if you look @ the brutality of hell week, the stamina and strength required, I hope women can pass it without any preferential treatment.
Since you have been banned for a month, kindly attend hell week and provide your first-hand account of it. We will all be enlightened.
Pratyush wrote:As a civilian all I care about is that the individual wearing the uniform is fully trained and motivated to do the job they have been selected to do.

You are a senior poster. Why the bad language? You know the rules.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Apologies for the language. As the point I sought to make was about skills and training of the people who have to go in combat.

Nothing about the gender of the individual. Will take care in the future.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Rakesh wrote:To All: Stop with misogyny please. Women have earned their place in the Armed Forces. No more on this on the forum.
Why are you attributing misogyny to stifle a debate on an important topic? Women in armed forces is a much more complex issue that simply a case of equality before the law when it comes to employment.

Even in western countries where women have a higher % representation in their armed forces, this is not a settled question. There is enough debate around it. Regrettably, even there you'll come across many instances of stifling the debate and discrediting genuine questions with labels like misogyny.

Armed forces are a means to an end. And not a laboratory of equal employment or gender rights.

If the job in military is gender neutral in today's environment, why is there is a difference in physical standards right at the entrance stage of officer selection?

And what about the physical standards and tests at OTA, Chennai?
At the academy, there is a marked difference in the physical standard requirements of men and women. For instance, while men need to complete a 2.4km-run in 10 minutes, women get 15 minutes. In the battle physical efficiency test, ‘excellent timing’ for men is 24 minutes and 40 seconds while for women it is 31 minutes and 30 seconds. “To clear the physical fitness test, women cadets get multiple chances, including mercy attempts. And the instructors are more lenient with women cadets,” said an officer involved in training.
Source: https://www.theweek.in/theweek/current/ ... euvre.html

- Further, if it is gender neutral, how come NO lady officer from ASC or AOC has ever served the compulsory 2-year attachment with an infantry battalion post graduation from the academy? Mind you, 99.9% of this attachment happens in field areas.

- Has any women officer from various Corps ever served an attachment with RR in the Valley? Many officers from ASC and AOC have lost lives and earned gallantry awards while fighting in CI Ops with RR - Ever heard a lady officer in this role?

- When it comes to field postings, if we scale field locations from 1-5 with 5 being toughest, who do you think gets posted to locations 3,4,5 on the difficulty scale?

- Post maternity, how many women officers are able or willing to actively participate in BPET, field exercises, temporary duties, or other demanding roles? Please talk to people who've served in battalions with lady officers.

- What about non-availability of women officers during and post pregnancy?

In the USAF, a lady pilot cannot fly for a full 01-year covering the period from pregnancy to post-partum period. Can you have 100% female fighter pilots in the squadron? What impact will it have on the availability of pilots and operational efficiency of the squadron and the air force?

- A lady officer from the JAG Branch of the Indian Army filed a case against the Army when it wanted to send it on Temporary Duty because it claimed the said location did not have creche to look after her child!

Now, irrespective of the above, the job has to be done. So who do you think gets deputed?

First, serving in the military in NOT gender neutral. Pregnancy has operational repercussions. Both during and post pregnancy.

Second, if you really think men and women officers are same, then remove the 'Lady' part and retain just the officer bit, as is the norm for male counterparts.

Secondly, subject them to the same treatment. But this is easier said than done. The moment you send a lady officer away from established bases, you'll need to create infra to accommodate her. Which at the minimum calls for separate accommodation and toilet.

Imagine sending a lady officer on a Long Range Patrol for 15-days at the head of 30-men platoon across eastern Ladakh or NE wilderness?

Feel free to temper and tone of the language but don't all WOKE going about it.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

If the Prime Minister of India actively promotes Nari Shakti, there is no issue here. Secondly, I have full faith in our Armed Forces to not place personnel - men or women - into positions where they would not be effective. If the IAF, Navy and Army have faith in women as helo pilots, JAG officers, doctors...then all good. And if the same armed forces do not want woman commandos to conduct cross border strikes, again no issue.

I am not stifling sane debate, but rather pointless discussion. Women have earned their place in the military. And the military reserves the right to effectively exploit their men and women where required. I am 100% confident that the NSG is not run by idiots. So that picture of Mahila Commandos should not affect anyone's manhood, but the subsequent discussion (not your post) proved otherwise. If the NSG felt that these women can serve a particular role, then who are we to question it? Otherwise, go and join the NSG and then give an opinion. And that is what I requested asgkhan to do after he was banned for a month.
rohitvats wrote:- A lady officer from the JAG Branch of the Indian Army filed a case against the Army when it wanted to send it on Temporary Duty because it claimed the said location did not have creche to look after her child!
Raising up one individual as an example to paint the entire gender as such, is counterproductive.

What about these army officers, who happened to be men? What would you define their behaviour as? Or is this an issue only to be highlighted when women do it, to prove their in-effectiveness? But when men do it, they are just a few bad apples.

Army Officer, Middleman Arrested By CBI In Cash-For-Transfer Case
https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/army-of ... se-1707408
03 June 2017
CBI is investigating how army officers, were ready to pay lakhs of rupees to get a posting of their choice.
====================================
- What about non-availability of women officers during and post pregnancy?
- What about non-availability of men officers during and post PTSD?

Pregnancy is traumatic to the human body, both physically and mentally. Each woman reacts differently to her pregnancy. Some women take longer to heal, both physically and mentally. Post Partum Depression is becoming increasingly common. In India, it is swept under the rug as post pregnancy blues. And for a young woman who joined the services, that is not something they expect to undergo during and after pregnancy.

PTSD is a real mental condition. Each man reacts differently to their PTSD. Some men take longer to heal, mentally. And some men, unfortunately, take their own lives as a result. Again, in India, PTSD is swept under the rug because it a social taboo to talk about mental illness. And for a young man who joined the services, PTSD is not something they expect to ever experience. But everyone has their breaking point.
rohitvats wrote:Pregnancy has operational repercussions. Both during and post pregnancy.
PTSD has operational repercussions. Both during and post PTSD.
rohitvats wrote:- Has any women officer from various Corps ever served an attachment with RR in the Valley? Many officers from ASC and AOC have lost lives and earned gallantry awards while fighting in CI Ops with RR - Ever heard a lady officer in this role?
Meet Mitali Madhumita: First Woman Officer To Receive A Gallantry Award
https://www.femina.in/trending/achiever ... 62142.html
24 June 2020

While she was not up in the air fighting against the PAF, her role was so applauded by the IAF that she was awarded the YSM.

IAF Squadron Leader Minty Agarwal, who guided Abhinandan, becomes first woman to receive Yudh Seva Medal
https://yourstory.com/herstory/2019/08/ ... seva-medal
16 Aug 2019

India's highest gallantry peace time medal - Ashoka Chakra - was posthumously awarded to CRPF Constable, Kamlesh Kumari, for her role in preventing the 2001 Parliament attack.