India's R&D in Defence DRDO, PSUs and Private Sector

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
jai
BRFite

Re: India's R&D in Defence DRDO, PSUs and Private Sector

Post by jai »

Aditya_V wrote:Sum-> Notice who is purchasing the scopes- not Mod but Union Home ministry, so who will use those scopes? BSF and CRPF

So will the scopes be used against ? Freindly BD smuglers and Freindly communist bretheren Mao pests, hence the Takleef cause Night vision scopes are a game changer.
You may be absolutely correct in this assumption. I hope MHA take cognizance and launch an investigation.

The large scale mobilization against the Maoists either never happened or has not delivered any results, and seems to have faded from national press' memory. We will have to wait for the next massacre to see some action against Maoists.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Folks - when was the last time you bought any electro optical equipment that came with a warranty of 10 years? heck even solid state electronics like computer chips give a "lifetime" warranty of life or 3 years, whichever is earlier. :eek:

Claiming that those scopes had a ten year life may be a strawman. In ten years IR tech moves forwards by such a jump that the old stuff needs replacement anyway. Is it even 10 years since they were inducted. If so what percentage have failed. I would be surprised if you can take an IR scope - put it in the hands of a class 9 pass Pandu and ask him to live in the jungle and swamp and say "hey it did not last 10 years".
Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

if successful something to ponder over for the Defense forces

Tata Power to build India's first floating solar plant
LSA uses traditional concentrated photovoltaic technology but rather than mounting the cells on a frame, it is made to float on water, making it low-cost, cyclone-proof and less tedious as it does not involve any land acquisition, it added.

"It effectively turns a dam into a very large battery, offering free solar storage and opportunity for improved water resource management," the inventor of the technology and Sunengy's Executive Director aInd Chief Technology Officer, Phil Connor, said.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

shiv wrote:Folks - when was the last time you bought any electro optical equipment that came with a warranty of 10 years? heck even solid state electronics like computer chips give a "lifetime" warranty of life or 3 years, whichever is earlier. :eek:

Claiming that those scopes had a ten year life may be a strawman. In ten years IR tech moves forwards by such a jump that the old stuff needs replacement anyway. Is it even 10 years since they were inducted. If so what percentage have failed. I would be surprised if you can take an IR scope - put it in the hands of a class 9 pass Pandu and ask him to live in the jungle and swamp and say "hey it did not last 10 years".
Shiv,
Computer chips and electronic equipment on military applications are produced to different standards.
There is an entire range of MIL-STD specifications.

But you are correct with consumer electronics - they are not designed for 50 years. But military and space applications have stringent and longer MTBF values ( mean time between failure ).
These MIL-STD standards specify the conditions are which these components should work and then there is also a MTBF value for these.
There are many such standards specifying vibration, humidity, temperature etc . As an example: for space applications, devices are typically radiation hardened to mitigate the effects of cosmic rays/radiation.
Devices are usually tested for conformity with several of these standards. You can see an elaborate specifications here" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIL-STD-810

A customer , when ordering his product , will specify the list of the MIL-STDs and the MTBF value and the sources the components. The company which delivers these will design his component is such a way and adds additional tolerances to conform to the standards.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Lovely article! I had a nice long chat with the guy from the ADRDE stall and was amazed to learn that creating that was not simple. Its a multi disciplinary effort involving everybody from mathematicians to aerodynamics folks. Best accuracy achieved (at least once, I don't know if that was repeatable) was 17m.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

^^^ It is 15 m, but from 3000 ft below from the altitude you are talking about. I have the test results and is open source.
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

Read some news in local news about Navsari Agricultural University Gujarat able to develop paper that can be used for currency notes printed by RBI. Currently this paper is bought from phoren players. If I am correct then as per the reports this has been done by using leaves of Banana trees. Couldn't find anything in Hinglish so unable to post.

chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Dr Kalam gives away DRDO Awards 2010

One of them is for "development of light weight NBC shielding pads for T-90 tanks." 8)
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

ParGha wrote:
ShauryaT wrote:The rest have to have a commercial basis or there is no going forward. ... If India has to have its own MIC then the Production PSU's and a large part of the existing DRDO have to be privatized. I have seen through the debate for many years now and see no reason to change this long held view.
:-? For a moment (with the first sentence), I thought, "Thank the gods, there are some people know that horse comes before the cart"... but then when you argue that having a MIC is something desirable, I lost the plot. In most sane, sustainable societies a MIC is a BAD thing to have; it subverts the normal commercial basis of all things by playing on threat-perceptions. Remember the term was coined by outgoing Preseident Eisenhower, warning his countrymen AGAINST it? So whats your point?
Ikes warning was in a different context, when the cold war had take firm roots in the US, coming out from a world war and engagement in Korea (53K US personnel were lost there). A military man who has seen so much destruction and death and the way the US was preparing for this war, as architected by George Kennan and at the height of McCathyism, Ikes out going comment (never mind his actions) is completely understandable. The MIC in the western world has a different level of maturity and their attitudes towards this does not really apply. Ikes was fearful that the nation will over spend and be under the grips of MIC under hysterical conditions. However, regardless of their pretensions of an MIC being bad, the west remains the largest exporters of arms, across the globe and remains a pre-eminent MIC for decades more to come.

In the Indian context, I meant a MIC, that needs to come up on a commercial basis for I reject the notion that the government can do this job in India.

It largely means the disinvestment of PSU's like OFB, HAL, Avadi, BDE along with large parts of DRDO to create a few large self sustaining establishments, which in turn feed large numbers of smaller private companies.

This devolution and commercialization should be supported by the state by way of initial nurturing and placement of orders, research and infrastructure support, until such time that they can compete with other such competing companies but most likely will always be dependent on the Indian state's preference to buy from Indian owned companies first.

If such a day comes, when the western counties put their money, where their mouth is along with other major powers of the world and we see a dissolution of their MIC, then we can relax. But, until then the world is arming itself and every day we spend not working on this MIC leads to a direct degradation of our security and national power.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

HAL records sales of Rs 13,061 cr for 2010-11.

Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) a Navaratna Company, posted yet another record high financial performance for the year 2010-11 achieving sales of Rs 13,061 crore, up by 14 per cent over previous year.

Announcing the performance highlights for the year 2010-11 today, HAL in a statement said its Profit Before Tax (PBT) for the year was at Rs 2,718 crores. The Order Book during the financial year increased by Rs 8,524 crore.

The firm which declared an interim dividend of Rs 300 crore for the year 2010-11 said that for the 10th year running it will meet all the targets set in "Excellent" category in respect of the MOU concluded with the Government of India.

The higlights of the aeronautics major during the year included Initial Operation Clearance (IOC) for the ALH Mk-III and Shakti Engine utility variant by the Certification Authority.

Flying effort of the Light Combat Helicopter is also set to increase with the introduction of the Technology Demonstrator-2 (TD2) into flight tests.

The first Su-30 MKI aircraft manufactured out of raw material rolled out of the Company in this financial year and the first raw material phase engine for the Su30 MKI successfully completed the Long Test at its Koraput facility.

The 100th Dornier DO-228 aircraft was manufactured from HAL, Kanpur
and a Cheetah Helicopter was produced for export to Namibia.

Initial Operation Clearance (IOC) for LCA granted by Certification Authority and LCA - Navy first prototype was rolled out.

The company also launched three major development projects. The design for the Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) was frozen in coordination with the customers and the detailed design phase has commenced.

A contract was signed with Russia for commencing the preliminary design of the Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA) and a Joint Venture company for the co-development of Multi-role Transport Aircraft (MTA) was formed with the Russian partners, the statement said.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

Vipul wrote:HAL records sales of Rs 13,061 cr for 2010-11.

The first Su-30 MKI aircraft manufactured out of raw material rolled out of the Company in this financial year and the first raw material phase engine for the Su30 MKI successfully completed the Long Test at its Koraput facility.

The 100th Dornier DO-228 aircraft was manufactured from HAL, Kanpur
and a Cheetah Helicopter was produced for export to Namibia.
wow.. thing is big news. I thought we were producing MKI using CKD/SKD provided by Russians as plans to produce MKI out of raw material were abandoned after IAF asked for accelerated delivery of MKIs.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Two different sets of MKI's are manufactured. The initial 18 + 32 + 18 replacement delivered 2006 + 40 signed 2007 + 42 signed 2010 are all SKD/CKD. The 140 licensed production starting 2004 comprises 26 CKD kits and 114 from raw materials. When HAL reports 28 built every year, its a mix of CKD/SKD assembly and built from raw materials. The key news is
first raw material phase engine
We now fully manufacture the engine from raw materials. This is a significant capability. We could, hypothetically, use the Al-31FP for Tejas or AMCA.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

tsarkar wrote:Two different sets of MKI's are manufactured. The initial 18 + 32 + 18 replacement delivered 2006 + 40 signed 2007 + 42 signed 2010 are all SKD/CKD. The 140 licensed production starting 2004 comprises 26 CKD kits and 114 from raw materials. When HAL reports 28 built every year, its a mix of CKD/SKD assembly and built from raw materials. The key news is
first raw material phase engine
We now fully manufacture the engine from raw materials. This is a significant capability. We could, hypothetically, use the Al-31FP for Tejas or AMCA.
This is all very confusing and I feel that the ground reality is not the same as what is tried to be conveyed to us.
It is a well known fact that SCB TOT was given to us. Now HAL says that, from last year, we are manufacturing AL-31FP from raw materials. Yet, in this very AI, it was clearly stated in GTRE seminar that we do not posses Single Crystal and Thermal coating knowhow. Period.

Now this point has been raised up for years yet no one has given a satisfactory explanation. Once, GeorgeJ had given an explanation something along the lines that the TOT is given to HAL. Or HAL koraput specifically. He said that Russian supervisors are present there at every stage of operation. And for legal reasons, HAL Koraput cannot pass that information to other HAL divisions let alone GTRE.
Frankly, this feels like partial story to me bordering on hogwash (I say this with all due respect to the former poster since I am aware of his exceptional knowledge regarding anything related to Sukhoi).
My speculation is that HAL koraput indeeds manufactures AL-31 from raw materials. They have that knowhow. But that is the relatively easy part. The main problem is being able to first manufacture the tools and machinery needed for the job. Do they have that capability? If GTRE is anything to go by, I think not.
This fits with an old news that GTRE can grow some quantity of SC in lab conditions, but it is a totally different ball game to have the manufacturing know how to manufacture SCBs.
somnath
BRF Oldie

Post by somnath »

tsarkar wrote:We now fully manufacture the engine from raw materials. This is a significant capability. We could, hypothetically, use the Al-31FP for Tejas or AMCA.
Dont think so...ToTs of the sort our PSUs typically enter into are transfer of selected drawings/tools/designs for use in a specific project...If the Al31FP is used in AMCA, a separate deal would need to be entered into...this is a conjecture of course - dont know what the actual contract says..But something similar was the state with another PSU, BHEL (of which I know something about) - the sub-critical boiler tech in BHEL could be used for specific projects only..For example, BHEL had to get specific approvals form Siemens for all export bids...

In many cases, it seems to be a bit of a fudge - the whole ToT business..Gives us nothing material really..going back to BHEL, it manufactured sub critical boilers for decades (even now does I think)...But when it came to the next gen super critical boilers, BHEL had to again go back to Alstom for a ToT...

Therefore we need to be careful about what is really meant by ToT...
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Gaur, its very simple. The raw material & tooling comes from Russia. Only difference is that the process is done here, and we've learnt the process.

Indigenization & ToT are very relative terms.

For example, the Shivalik and Vikrant carriers were to be built from Russian Steel. For some reason, the manufacturer failed to deliver. DMRL and SAIL Rourkela finally developed and manufactured the steel and hence the reason for delay in these projects. Scorpene steel comes from France. Most Indian car manufacturers import their steel from Korea. Even tooling developed for machining Russian grade steel might not work for Korean/Indian grade steel. FWIW, if I took iron ore from Orissa and iron ore from Goa, the steel, manufactured to the same grade, will have subtle differences.

So blades machined from Russian raw materials cannot be used for Kaveri, because they are Al-31 specific and even the machining cannot be used for manufacturing Kaveri specific blades.

What could be done is reverse engineering of the Russian raw materials and the machinery and using them for Kaveri

Somnath - given your BHEL example - the understanding is that manufacturing and R&D are two very different and complex fields, and one cannot step in for the other.
amitkm
BRFite -Trainee

Post by amitkm »

In BRF, I'm here absolutely new. Hope moderators will spare me for my mischief. I've been chasing this forum for last two years and now has got something very little to post about...

This is more than good news for jingos like me. Now the time for lungi dance. I have got this confirmation from my friend, who is working in HAL's engine division at Sunabeda (Koraput) today. He was exactly speaking about this Long Test. :D :D

If anybody who can explain what the Long Test is all about to a layman like me, I'll be the happiest person in the world today.

Replies are appreciated in advance.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Pipavav eyes acquisitions, large defence deals.

Pipavav Shipyard is scouting overseas for firms catering to the oil and gas and defence sectors, besides setting up a second dry dock facility to tap the lucrative Indian defence and offshore segments, a top official said.

“We are on the lookout for opportunities, our eyes and ears are open and we are very keen but we must have the right opportunity that will create both huge visibility and significant value proposition,” chairman Nikhil Gandhi told Reuters on Friday.

The shipbuilder, India’s largest by market capitalization, is eyeing companies in Asia and Europe, especially Scandinavia, he added.

“Oil and gas asset building and operating companies and defence sector companies interest us. Eventually, we will have to do a backward and forward integration plan.”

Last week, Pipavav Shipyard got the go-ahead from the Foreign Investment Promotion Board to build warships, thus making it eligible to bid for multi-billion dollar defence contracts along with foreign partners.

In February, rival ABG Shipyard also received government approval to foray into defence-related contracts.

Pipavav is also bidding for a multi-billion dollar helicopter carrier as well as a submarine programme “of substantial value”, Gandhi said.

The Indian firm has already tied up with a host of foreign firms to build defence hardware.

Last December, it signed an agreement with SAAB Dynamics enabling the latter to enter India’s army and air force segments. In February this year, Pipavav tied up with Northop Grumman Overseas for defence production.

The firm’s order book now stands at around $1.5 billion and Gandhi expects this to “grow substantially” once new orders come in from defence and offshore.

“We think there would be substantial increase (in orders), The opportunity that exists in India’s oil and gas and defence sectors in next two years is worth over $50 billion.”

The recent surge in crude prices has prompted oil companies to step up their thrust on exploration and production, which could result in increased offshore orders for firms like Pipavav.

The firm is expanding capacity by adding a dry dock adjacent to the existing facility on the south western coast of Gujarat, at a cost of around $230 million, Gandhi said.

“We are in the process of beginning the work on a second dry dock, which will start soon. We already have a wet dock which we will convert into a dry dock, he said, adding the whole process could take around 16 months.

“This additional facility will help us carry out some international work we might get and also we can work with far larger number of assets. With the second dry docking facility and associated infrastructure our ability to deliver the ships at one third or one fourth the time of anyone else,” Gandhi added.

Pipavav’s current infrastructure alone has the potential to clock revenue of nearly Rs10,000 crore, he said.
Arunkumar
BRFite

Post by Arunkumar »

Vipul wrote:Pipavav eyes acquisitions, large defence deals.
Pipavav is also bidding for a multi-billion dollar helicopter carrier as well as a submarine programme “of substantial value”, Gandhi said.
Wow. That means we are already planning mistral type ships and those could be on the design boards. Salivating at the thought of a KA-52 landing on the Indian made carrier something like this. We need a couple of these to take over Port bin qasim and rename it as Port kanhoji angre.
somnath
BRF Oldie

Post by somnath »

tsarkar wrote:Somnath - given your BHEL example - the understanding is that manufacturing and R&D are two very different and complex fields, and one cannot step in for the other.
Of course they are...However, even the manufacturing license that passes off under ToT is nothing but a concession to build for a specific purpose/contract...So if the Al31 engines are tomorrow used by us to build another fighter, we will need to get into a separate negotiation/contract with the Russians...In that sense, I have always wondered whther these so-called ToT/indigenisation hyperboles have any meaning...
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

somnath wrote:In that sense, I have always wondered whther these so-called ToT/indigenisation hyperboles have any meaning...
Sometimes, my thoughts mirror yours. Sometimes I think, its better we don't get TOT for production. It is always good to research and make our own maal. If needed, get technical and consultancy help. Also, why get pay up extra for blanket TOT? Isn't it old technology that vendors are ready to give? Are they giving the futuristic technology?

I would prefer to go for joint development and production.
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

DRDO budget in 2010-11 was Rs 9809 crores and for 2011-12 seems to be Rs 10,253 which means that it has fallen in real terms.
aditp
BRFite

Post by aditp »

amitkm wrote:In BRF, I'm here absolutely new. Hope moderators will spare me for my mischief. I've been chasing this forum for last two years and now has got something very little to post about...

This is more than good news for jingos like me. Now the time for lungi dance. I have got this confirmation from my friend, who is working in HAL's engine division at Sunabeda (Koraput) today. He was exactly speaking about this Long Test. :D :D

If anybody who can explain what the Long Test is all about to a layman like me, I'll be the happiest person in the world today.

Replies are appreciated in advance.
Dunno about aviation testing, but in the automotive world, a "long test" typically means an accelerated endurance testing, where the engine is run at max throttle and a combination of throttle maps to simulate actual driving conditions, continuously for several (high) hundreds of ours. Based on this rigorous accelerated testing, actual durability of he engine is determined.
somnath
BRF Oldie

Post by somnath »

vic wrote:DRDO budget in 2010-11 was Rs 9809 crores and for 2011-12 seems to be Rs 10,253 which means that it has fallen in real terms.
The R&D budget is lower - its 5624 crores for this year, up from 5230 last year...

http://indiabudget.nic.in/ub2011-12/eb/sbe26.pdf

Its a bit difficult to gauge this for India, as DRDO often becomes the production agency for certain items...So when these items are shifted to DPSUs/OFB, the outlay on DRDO would drop...
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

somnath wrote:
vic wrote:DRDO budget in 2010-11 was Rs 9809 crores and for 2011-12 seems to be Rs 10,253 which means that it has fallen in real terms.
The R&D budget is lower - its 5624 crores for this year, up from 5230 last year...

http://indiabudget.nic.in/ub2011-12/eb/sbe26.pdf

Its a bit difficult to gauge this for India, as DRDO often becomes the production agency for certain items...So when these items are shifted to DPSUs/OFB, the outlay on DRDO would drop...
This is just a hopeful conjecture, but the fact is that DRDO outlay has dropped in real terms. To keep pace with inflation + GDP growth, we should have seen around 8% + 8% i.e. around 14% to 18% minimum increase. But then how will we import advanced things like pistols, 9mm carbines, pilot seats if we waste money on useless things like R&D? :evil:
somnath
BRF Oldie

Post by somnath »

vic wrote:This is just a hopeful conjecture
Vic-ji, perhaps, perhaps not...We will never know...But the fact is that a lot of "production items" will move from DRDO to DPSUs this year..LCA is one, some of the tactical missiles is another (Akash/Nag), maybe finally even the strategic missiles (agniII)...But really, dont think its about budget allocations anymore...Dont think any project has been "starved" of funds, whether R&D or imports, in the last 6-7 years...The issue is in execution...
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Excellent report and pics by George Marder on his visit to HAL Bangalore:

http://s188567700.online.de/CMS/index.p ... &Itemid=47
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

tsarkar wrote:For some reason, the manufacturer failed to deliver
Did fail to deliver, but REFUSED to deliver. Why would you need the Rodina to BUILD if you could import the steel !
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Gaur wrote: This is all very confusing and I feel that the ground reality is not the same as what is tried to be conveyed to us.
It is a well known fact that SCB TOT was given to us. Now HAL says that, from last year, we are manufacturing AL-31FP from raw materials. Yet, in this very AI, it was clearly stated in GTRE seminar that we do not posses Single Crystal and Thermal coating knowhow. Period.
Whoever said that, even if from GTRE, is wrong. Single Crystal Blades have been manufactured in India using Indian knowhow but manufactured in lab quantities. Once they undergo certification and are fully certified, production facilities will have to be created to manufacture in numbers. It may not be the latest generation of SCB but the basic knowhow is there. And this is not from Al-31 knowledge, this one is totally indigenous.
paultd
BRFite -Trainee

Post by paultd »

IAF fighter aircraft to be equipped with special gadgets
http://iafnews.nuvodev.com/posts/iaf-fi ... l-gadgets/
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Indian defence scientists develop hi-tech foods
Stress-relieving biscuits and anti-fatigue food bars will soon appear on more supermarket shelves as scientists at the Mysore-based Defence Food Research Laboratory (DFRL) commercialise food technology created for the armed forces. Their goal is to make convenience foods better than what nature has to offer.

From memory enhancing chocolates to performance enhancement foods, the laboratory is employing a small army of food scientists to help make the next generation of foods healthier and tastier, with a more understandable ingredient list.

During the Kargil War, DFRL supplied tonnes of food packets to provide sustained nutrition and control hunger. "These are foods designed to keep a person alert even during stressful situations such as war, tsunami and earthquakes," says H V Batra, associate director, DFRL.

The Lab has already completed over 550 technology transfers to nearly 220 entrepreneurs, who have built businesses on them.

DFRL has also developed more sophisticated packaging technology. These foods are packed in therm-o-packs, which are chemical-based self heating systems and do not need an outside heat source. It is activated on opening and rubbing the food packet. The food can be repacked back and it remains warm for a long time. "The system is designed in such a way that there is no direct contact between the chemical heater and the food pack at any point of time," explains K Jayathilakan, scientist at DFRL.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

RIL hires Boeing's Lall; aerospace venture thought likely.

Mukesh Ambani's Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) has hired Vivek Lall, a former NASA scientist and a long-time Boeing employee, in what is seen as a move by India's richest company to enter the civil and defence aviation sectors.

Lall led Boeing's military and commercial division in India for several years before he quit last month after 14 years with the company. He is expected to head a new division in RIL focussed on aerospace.

The company has refused to comment officially on the matter, but reports say Lall could be leading the new RIL venture with cutting-edge homeland security solutions. The group could enter the aerospace arena at an appropriate time, one report said.

When Lall headed the Boeing commercial arm it won over $25 billion worth of commercial aircraft business in three years, and during the past four years when he headed defence, space and security the company gained almost $10 billion worth of business in India, according to The Economic Times.

RIL already owns a stake in the cargo airline started by India's low-cost airline pioneer G R Gopinath. Last year, RIL announced an investment in Gopinath's Deccan 360 as a strategic investor.

The hiring of Lall may indicate RIL has more ambitious plans in civil aerospace and defence industries, analysts said.

Lall studied mechanical engineering at Canada's Carleton University and has a master's in aeronautical engineering from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Florida. He worked with Raytheon Co and NASA Ames Research Center before he joined Boeing in 1996.

''India has virtually no world-class expertise in aerospace,'' said Ernest Arvai, president of the US-based aviation consulting firm Arvai Group Inc. ''On aerospace, if US is 10, Brazil is 8, Russia 6, China 4 and India 1,'' he added, according to a report in The Mint.