Historical Battles in Ancient & Medieval Bharat

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
peter
BRFite

Post by peter »

Lalmohan wrote:
... which partly explains 'our failure to learn' from encounters with more ruthless foes, for whom our civilisational rules did not apply
What learning are you talking about? Interesting read from "the sindh story" by Malikani. Can anyone corroborate Zhukov's comments? Does IMA record the speeches of speakers there? Any old timers around who remember zhukov's sppech? Read somewhere that Russian historians also record that Alexander lost. Anyone familiar with russian historians' work?

http://yangtze.cs.uiuc.edu/~jamali/sindh/story/

" Alexander's Waterloo in Sindh

EVEN MORE than the Vedas and the Epics, Sindh figures very prominently in, of all places, the annals of Sikander that is Alexander.

British historians used to talk of Alexander as ``the world conqueror'' who ``came and saw and conquered'' every land he had visited. He is still advertised in Indian text-books as the victor in his war with India's Porus (Puru). However, the facts as recorded by Alexander's own Greek historians tell a very different tale. And Marshal Zhukov, the famous Russian commander in World War II, said at the Indian Military Academy, Dehra Dun, a few years back, that India had defeated Alexander.

Alexander fared badly enough with Porus in the Punjab. Indeed, Porus put him on the spot when he told him: ``To what purpose should we make war upon one another. if the design of your coming to these parts be not to rob us of our water or our necessary food, which are the only things that wise men are indispensably obliged to fight for? As for other riches and possessions, as they are accounted in the eyes of the world, if I am better provided of them than you, I am ready to let you share with me; but if fortune has been more liberal to you than to me, I have no objection to be obliged to you.''

Alexander had no reply to the questions posed by Porus. Instead, with the obstinacy of a bully, he said: ``I shall contend and do battle with you so far that, howsoever obliging you are, you shall not have the better of me.'' But Porus did have the better of Alexander. In the fighting that ensued, the Greeks were so terrified of Indian prowess that they refused to proceed farther, in spite of Alexander's angry urgings and piteous lamentations. Writes Plutarch, the great Greek historian: ``This last combat with Porus took off the edge of the Macedonians' courage and stayed their further progress in India.... Alexander not only offered Porus to govern his own kingdom as satrap under himself but gave him also the additional territory of various independent tribes whom he had subdued.'' Porus emerged from his war with Alexander with his territory doubled and his gold stock augmented. So much for Alexander's ``victory'' over Porus. However, what was to befall him in Sindh, was even worse.

In his wars in Iran. Afghanistan, and north-west India,. Alexander had made so many enemies that he did not dare return home by the same route he had come. He had, therefore, decided to travel via Sindh. But in Multan the Mallas gave him hell.

When Alexander's hordes invaded Sindh with the novel war-cry ``Alalalalalai! `` the Sindhis were obviously scared. The rulers of Musicanus, Sindemana, and Patala --- identified by Dr. H.T Sorely I.C.S. author of The Gazeteer of Sind (1968), as Alor, Sehwan, and Hyderabad, respectively- fled. (``Patala'' is believed to be a Greek corruption of ``Patan'' which means river bank or sea shore). But before long they collected their wits and gave Alexander a very bad time. Notes H.T. Lambrick, a former commissioner of Sindh, and author of the Sindh before Muslim Conquest: ``There was a subtle power in Sindh which created the will to resist the foreigner, the influence of the Brahmins.'' Dushhala's settling of 30,000 Brahmins in Sindh had not gone in vain!

Alexander confessed to his friends back home: ``They attacked me everywhere. They wounded my shoulder, they hit my leg, they shot an arrow in my chest, and they struck me on my neck with a loud thud.'' At one stage word had spread in the Greek camp that Alexander was dead --- and he had to be propped up and exhibited as alive!

Alexander never excused the Brahmins for persuading the Sindhi king Sabbas to stand up and fight. To the horror of the local people, he had a whole lot of them slaughtered. However, he was so impressed with the quality and spirit of the Brahmins that he captured and kept with him ten of them. Plutarch's account of Alexander's questions and their replies makes interesting reading.

``The first being asked whether he thought the most numerous the dead or the living, answered, `the living, because those who are dead, are not at all'. Of the second he desired to know whether the earth or the sea produced the largest beasts, who told him. `The earth, for the sea is but part of it . His question to the third was, `which is the cunningest of animals?' `That,' said he, 'which men have not yet found out.' He bade the fourth to tell him what argument he used with Sabbas to persuade him to revolt 'No other,' he said, `than that he should either live nobly or die nobly.' Of the fifth he asked, what was the oldest, night or day. The philosopher replied, `Day was oldest, by one day at least'. And perceiving Alexander not well satisfied with that account, he added that he ought not to wonder if he got strange answers for his strange questions. Then he went on and inquired of the next, what a man should do to be exceedingly beloved. `He must be very powerful, without making himself too much feared.' The answer of the seventh to his question, how a man might become 8 god, was, `By doing, that which was impossible for man to do.' The eighth told him, `Life is stronger than death because it supports so many miseries.' And the last philosopher, asked how long he thought it decent for a man to live, said `till death appeared more desirable than life'.''

The philosophers in turn posed him questions of their own. Dandamis (Dandamani?) asked Alexander why he undertook so long a journey to come into those parts. Kalanus (Kalyan) refused to talk to Alexander until the latter stripped himself naked and then heard him with humility and attention. Kalyan then conveyed to Alexander that his roaming far and wide was not good either for him or for his country. Reports Plutarch: ``Kalanus threw a dry shrivelled hide on the ground and trod upon the edges of it, to show it would not straighten out that way. He then stood on it in the centre, to show how it straightened out immediately.'' The meaning of this similitude was that he ought to reside most in the middle of his empire, and not spend too much time on the borders of it.

However, life in Sindh for Alexander was something more than these encounters with Brahmin philosophers. And the worst was yet to come. When he saw the mighty Indus, he thought he had found the source of the Nile! The presence of crocodiles in the Indus only confirmed him in this belief, since they were also present in the Nile. With much relief and great fanfare, his army sailed down the Indus in hopes of reaching Egypt. But they soon found themselves at sea, literally. Here the monsoon and the tides --- both unknown to his native little land-locked Mediterranean country --- bewildered him to no end. He split his army into two --- one half led by Alexander, to go by lower Sindh and coastal Baluchistan to Iran, while the other half, led by Nearchus, to proceed by sea. Soon the two halves lost contact, each thinking the other lost and dead! On the land route, the paucity of water drove many of them mad. As and when they found a pond, they would jump into it and drink and drink and drink until they bloated up dead! Of the 40,000 Greeks who had started out by land from Sindh, only 15,000 reached Iran. Writes Robin Lane Poole, the modern biographer of Alexander: ``All of them agreed that not even the sum total of all the army's sufferings in Asia deserved to be compared with the hardships in Makran. The highest officers were alive --- and so was Alexander --- but they had suffered a disgrace which was agonizingly irreversible. Alexander had known his first defeat''.

Obviously Alexander's Indian trip was about as ``successful'' as Napoleon's invasion of Russia. He, however, consoled himself with the thought that Queen Semiramis of Assyria, who had invaded Sindh, had been able to get back with only 20 men --- and Cyrus of Iran, with only seven.''

However, Alexander's Indian adventure was not entirely unproductive. He had introduced the Indian elephant to the West. He was so much impressed by the broad-bottomed boats carrying grain up and down the Indus, that he had them introduced in Greece. The Greeks now introduced five times more spices in the West. Sissoo (Sheesham) wood of the Punjab was used to build pillars for the Susa Palace in imperial Iran. He would, no doubt, have carried the mango also, but for the fact that its over-eating had given the ``God-king'' no end of loose motions. And so Alexander forbade mango-eating in his camp.

Evidently this sweet-sour experience with the mango was not confined to Alexander alone. When G.D. Birla took a basketful of the choicest Alphonsos as a gift to Khrushchov, the latter declined them with thanks and said that that `strange fruit' did not suit the Russian stomach.

The Greeks had many interesting things to say about Sindh. Admiral Nearchus, who had led the Greek retreat by sea, noted that Sindhis were tall and slim and wore white leather shoes with thick soles, to appear taller. Vanity is neither recent nor imported!

Alexander had himself found Sindhis ``healthy and temperate and partaking of community meals.'' Obviously the Langar did not start with the Sikhs. He had also noted that the Sindhis ``hated war, and loved medicine'', the science of health and long life.

There is one thing more the Greeks and the Sindhis have in common --- the Sindhi bhoonda or buja --- the peculiar Sindhi gesture of denunciation with an open, outstretched hand. When the Greek Cypriots wanted the British out of Cyprus, they had burnt the Union Jack with this ``handy'' denunciation. And when at the peak of the Pakistani people's demand for democracy Zia-ul-Haq toured Sindh in September 1983, he was greeted with the same gesture.

According to Prof. Demetrios Loukatos, this gesture has been in use in Greece since ancient times and it had even spread to the Romans and the Balkanians, particularly the Albanians. In Greek, it is known as moudja. With `b' often changing into ``m'' in Greek, the moudja comes very close to the Sindhi Buja or bhoonda.

Here is a good theme for a doctoral thesis --- to find out whether it was a gift from Sindh to Alexander or the other way round. Or whether it was carried to Greece by our Panis that is Phoenicians thousands of years before.
Last edited by peter on 19 Mar 2008 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
peter
BRFite

Post by peter »

ashish raval wrote:
Interestingly i had chat on the issue with my Greek friend about Alexander's conquest and what he knew about his invasion in India. He was quite sure from what he has studied in his school in Greece and thereafter that it was a high possibility that he had actually lost to porus than the history stating that macedonian army was tired. They see Alexander as a person who returned lost. :-o
Would your friend have access to his school books where he read this?
Adrija
BRFite

Post by Adrija »

Re the Alexander invasion and lack of its reference in Arthahastra, I read long back (on the net) that the actual date of Chandragupta Maurya was ~1500 BC, and the Chandragupta referred to in the post-Alexander period is actually Chandragupta Vikramaditya (currently placed by gora history in ~AD 400).

By the same account, Gautam Buddha was ~1300 BC.

Incidentally, these dates tie in with the indigenous records of the four Maths established by Shankaracharya. They claim their establishment around ~1200- 1000 BC, while gora history (and of course our Macaulayite text books) claim ~AD 900, IIRC.

Has anyone else come across these references? Can't seem to find them now
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

peter wrote:
ashish raval wrote: Interestingly i had chat on the issue with my Greek friend about Alexander's conquest and what he knew about his invasion in India. He was quite sure from what he has studied in his school in Greece and thereafter that it was a high possibility that he had actually lost to porus than the history stating that macedonian army was tired. They see Alexander as a person who returned lost. :-o
Would your friend have access to his school books where he read this?
I will email him to locate the source. There is some interesting work in the final Alexander movie which shows what happened to Alexander.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itul9pDj7g4
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

the movie is inaccurate in its ending

hydaspes has been talked about above

its at multan that alexander gets speared after a reckless act in storming the walls

its this injury which he never recovers from. he does not die till he is back in persia (after the death march across makran)
peter
BRFite

Post by peter »

Lalmohan wrote:the movie is inaccurate in its ending

hydaspes has been talked about above

its at multan that alexander gets speared after a reckless act in storming the walls

its this injury which he never recovers from. he does not die till he is back in persia (after the death march across makran)
We cannot be sure. If he lost both the wars badly then he would have been arrowed/gashed in all these wars. It seems Alex was doing a mad dash down the river to get to the sea and every stronghold gave him a run for his money.
Sanjay
BRFite

Post by Sanjay »

Gentlemen, this is bringing us to a central point in our discussion - our entire military historical perspective has been created by the purported victors.

Post-independence India has only recently begun to give a different perspective. Even great historians (Sarkar, Sen etc) have fallen into this historiographical trap.

Case in point: Panipat 1761.

I've been a good military history student and I've even taught the subject but until Airavat came and put the battle in a broader perspective, I'd never thought of it as a failure of Maratha diplomacy rather than of Maratha arms.

Also, the long accepted casualty figures (written usually by purported victors) inflate losses on the alleged defeated and play down those of the alleged victors (I rather suspect this to be the case regarding the Alexander's battle of Jhelum).

While I am not in favour of revisionist/ apologist history, it is about time that India looks afresh at its military history reviews the battles that shaped it.

I am waiting for somebody to look anew at the 1565 Battle of Talikota. Sarkar's explanations for Vijayanagar's defeat don't add up. This had always been a very progressive kingdom militarily and I simply find no evidence to suggest a technological inferiority over its adversaries. Indeed it would appear that it was the defection of two Muslim generals with their troops that was the cause of the defeat.

Similarly, we get our descriptions on the efficiency or lack thereof of Indian -read Maratha, Rajput and Mughal - artillery and musketry from the Europeans.

Is this true ? I am not saying it isn't but we also must look at the fact that the British had no easy time subduing smaller Indian powers then at the nadir of their military potential.

Even at the peak of their power, the Mughals found it difficult to subdue rebellious principalities for all their numerical superiority and superiority in artillery.

This bespeaks volumes about not just the fighting ability but the adaptability of Indian powers to negate the advantages of an adversary whether these be technological or numerical.

Some time ago Airavat made the point that in 1527 Sanga's Rajputs had neither artillery or muskets with which to confront Babar. Yet by 1568, Chitor had been adapted to mount artillery and the Kalpi musketeers were very much evident (though I wonder if the Rajputs themselves didn't field some musketeers in their number).

We also have the inherent pragmatism of Indian powers - note Airavat's comments about the Marathas and Rajputs securing the services of various Hindu tribal communities to flesh out their matchlockmen - and the adoption of artillery even by conservative martial communities like the Rajputs (Rana Kumbha allegedly not only possessed siege artillery [kaman-i-rad] but paid for the casting of two more for a vassal in 1442).

BR has provided an opportunity for us to explore India's military history from a variety of perspectives and views and so far I for one have learnt a great deal.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

For Airavat and Sanjay!

Saga Of Indian Cannon
The invention of cannons and their use in warfare added a different dimension to battles. The fates of nations were decided by the use of cannons. The science of gunpowder and the technology of cannons, from their introduction in the Indian subcontinent in the middle of the fifteenth century up to the pre-modern period, have been illustrated using Mughal miniature paintings and analysis of extant canon pieces. The massive and wonderful forge welded iron cannons and cast bronze cannons of medieval India have been presented, some for the first time, in this book. The mighty cannons that established Mughal, Maratha, Sikh and Deccan powers have been described. Indian innovations in cannons technology like shaturnal (cannons fired from back of camels), composite cannons (of inner wrought iron bore and outer bronze casting) and bans (battlefield rockers) offer sufficient proof of Indian ingenuity in science and technology.

The book draws inspiration and major material from the original publications on the subject by the author. Written simply and profusely illustrated with line drawings and photographs, the book embodies the latest researches on the subject. It will fascinate both serious scholars and lay readers, and provide them rare glimpses into India’s rich military and metallurgical heritage.

About the Author

Professor R. Balasubramaniam has vast experience in teaching corrosion and Indian archaeometallurgy. After graduating in metallurgical engineering from the Banaras Hindu University in 1984 with a gold medal, he completed his PhD in materials engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, USA in 1990. He has, since then, been teaching and conducting research at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur in the Department of Materials and Metallurgical Engineering. He is the recipient of several prestigious awards like the BHU University Gold Medal (1984), Indian Institute of Metals Vishwa Bharathi Award (1984), Indian National Science Academy Young Scientist Award (1933), Humboldt Fellowship from the German Government (1996), Materials Research Society of India Medal (1999) and Metallurgist of the Year (1999) awarded by the Government of India. The widely published author is on the editorial board of several international journal. His significant research work on the famous 1600-year old Gupta period corrosion-resistant Iron Pillar, located in the Qutub, has received national and international acclaim. He is the author of four other books. He is the author of four other books. Delhi Iron Pillar: New Insights, The World Heritage Complex of the Qutub, The Story of the Delhi Iron Pillar and Marvels of Indian Iron through the Ages.
Airavat
BRF Oldie

Post by Airavat »

Saga Of Indian Cannon

The cover picture is of Mehrangarh Fort in Jodhpur. In the background you can see the modern Umaid Bhawan Palace.
These photos show the changes in matchlocks from the earliest as illustrated in the Baburnama (early 16th century):

And this one from a hunting scene in the Rajput Kingdom of Kishangarh (18th century):

In the picture you can clearly see the gunpowder-smoke emerging at two places: from the barrel and the touch hole.

Actually the guns shown in the Baburnama are technically not match-locks, since they did not have a firing mechanism to lower the lit match (a slow burning wick) into the touch hole. In those early guns this had to be done by hand, making the process of firing very cumbersome and the aim terribly inaccurate. For this reason archers continued to be used in Indian armies till the late 17th century.

The Kishangarh painting shows a true matchlock. This is an illustration of the matchlock's firing mechanism:

sanjay wrote:I am waiting for somebody to look anew at the 1565 Battle of Talikota. Sarkar's explanations for Vijayanagar's defeat don't add up. This had always been a very progressive kingdom militarily and I simply find no evidence to suggest a technological inferiority over its adversaries. Indeed it would appear that it was the defection of two Muslim generals with their troops that was the cause of the defeat.
Sanjay,

Please describe the battle from your sources, then others can chip in with what they know.
peter
BRFite

Post by peter »

Sanjay wrote: Some time ago Airavat made the point that in 1527 Sanga's Rajputs had neither artillery or muskets with which to confront Babar.
Airavat wrote:
Actually the guns shown in the Baburnama are technically not match-locks, since they did not have a firing mechanism to lower the lit match (a slow burning wick) into the touch hole. In those early guns this had to be done by hand, making the process of firing very cumbersome and the aim terribly inaccurate. For this reason archers continued to be used in Indian armies till the late 17th century.
In view of these two statements would it be prudent to assume that guns had very little impact on the Sanga Babur battle and the "real reason" as described on this page is true?

http://hindurajput.blogspot.com/#Rana_Sanga
Sanjay
BRFite

Post by Sanjay »

Airavat, I am going to get around to doing exactly that soon.

What is your view on the theory that Vijayanagar was a pioneer in the use of artillery in the mid to late 14th century ?

Regarding the matchlocks, I agree with your comments on what a matchlock is but I am not sure whether or not we are reading too much into the Baburnama paintings.

I too cannot see any "lock" or proper trigger mechanism, but have to wonder if that is not an artistic oversight ?

Is it possible that we are seeing weapons that were supposed to be mounted on some sort of stand (such as a Ganjal )?

Ramana, thanks for that link (the book has just been ordered by me).
BTW: check your e-mail.

Peter, I think we need to look at something else: the panic effect on massed cavalry unused to gunpowder weapons.

I am not saying that this in and of itself can swing a battle in India but it would have added to the confusion in Rajput ranks coping with mounted archers, artillery and Shiladitya's betrayal all at the same time.
Airavat
BRF Oldie

Post by Airavat »

A miniature painting from Kangra (Himachal Pradesh) depicts a group of soldiers exercising with their weapons:

The soldiers are in minimal clothing for their exercises. Two of them hold shields along with a sword and spear, two others hold just a sword and bow, while the central figure holds a spear and shield in one hand and swings a double-headed wooden club in the other.

The bow depicted is not the recurved composite bow, but the more ancient and simple dhanush. Initially I thought this painting actually depicted the five Pandavs in their vanvas period....but then the figure holding the bow should have been painted in a darker hue, since Arjun was dark-skinned.

Wooden clubs are still used by Indian wrestlers and bodybuilders to increase upper body strength, and stamina, while maintaining flexibility. This club swinging was adopted by British officers from Indian soldiers in the British Indian Army and was taken to the west as a form of exercise in the late 19th and early 20th century. Since then this exercise gradually went out of fashion.

Ironically western sites selling Indian wooden clubs come up first in Google searches:

http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/indian_clubs.html (this site shows clubs as light a two pounds!)

http://www.agatsu.com/8112/Without_FL/indianclub.htm (this one has clubs as heavy as 15 pounds)

That double-headed wooden club is quite interesting. Swinging it with one arm must take a huge amount of wrist and forearm strength! Anyone know more about these particular clubs?
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

airavat:

in all old hanuman akhadas you will find this clubs known as magdals. these are very famous in maharashtra, gujarat, UP, MP akhadas
yours truly used this club locally known as MAGADAL (in kathiawar region). they are also known as karela or ekka etc.

In typical hindu akhadas, the following are found by default:

1) Magadal (the Indian Club but not the mace)
2) Malakhamb (indian gymnasts' pole)
3) Swords/Pattas/Spears (combat sports)
4) Roman Rings (very crude type)
5) Parallel bars
6) A place filled with sand for wrestling etc (wrestling pit)
7) Different weights for weight lifting etc
8) Hanuman-ji's picture

these magadals are very heavy 6 to 8 kgs and at least 2 to 2.5 feet with max 8-10 inch dia at the bottom and 2-3 inches dia at the hilt (grip).

weight may go upto 25 kg sometimes and height more than 5 feet :shock:

these were locally made by carpenters using Teak wood and later lots of Bell-tel (type of oil) coats applied for making it look and last better.

every upcoming wrestler would like to try hand on magadal - especially the younger wrestlers, as playing with magadal is demanding and challenging part of combat sports.

we had many muslim wrestlers too who were Hanuman Bhakts :)

http://www.bigsteel.iwarp.com/Articles2 ... Clubs.html
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

Murugan, interesting details. This is called Mugdar in up north. Some more things we can see around are:

1. Rope tied to a pole to climb up and down.

2. Wrestling pit - You have a big wooden bench to smoothen out the soil in the pit which is dig first using a shovel. The bench is pulled using ropes (like an OX). So the wannabes first dig the soil and then use the bench to smooth out the surface.

3. A place to take cool bath. This is usually a handpump or tubewell.
Airavat
BRF Oldie

Post by Airavat »

Airavat wrote:Akbar's attack on Chittor (1567-68) as illustrated in the Akbarnama miniatures.....

The battle for Chittor lasted 123 days (23 October 1567 to February 24 1568).
towards the end of 1568 Akbar concentrated his forces around the fort of Ranthambhor, held by a vassal of the Maharana of Chittor, Rao Surjan Hada of Bundi.

This fort had been attacked earlier in 1560, but that Mughal army had been defeated by the Rajputs. The fort of Gagraun, to the south of Bundi, had however been captured that year. Now after the capture of Chittor Akbar could turn once again to Ranthambhor.

Ramparts and walls are constructed on a neighboring hill and huge guns are dragged up with teams of bullocks, while the Ranthambhor garrison fires on the Mughals.

After gaining elevation, the Mughal guns exchange fire with Ranthambhor. After some time Akbar negotiates with the fort commander Surjan Hada.

Surjan Hada is enrolled as a Mughal mansabdar, raised to the rank of Rao Raja, and assigned new estates along with his ancestral kingdom of Bundi.

The Rajput garrison leaves the fort with their weapons and goods, Surjan Hada also takes out several Hindu murtis to prevent their desecration by the occupying Muslims.

A curious painting depicts a battle outside the fort of Bundi in 1577. This incident is not described either in Mughal or Rajput documents....but since Surjan Hada spent the rest of his days in exile at Benares, it seems he may have risen against the Mughals following the Battle of Haldighati (1576).
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

Airavat, great posts, and the miniatures are really nice and detailed. I wish I could see the originals.

On an un-related note, I have a general question about method of dating, in books/documents dealing with the history of Indian subcontinent. Typically what calendars did the pre-modern historians use? I mean, before the advent of British, A.D. and BC. meant nothing in the subcontinental culture and polity, I would think. Did the pre-British scholars use the Islamic method of listing the year (based on Hejira)? I assume that would be norm for Muslim historians. What about books written by Hindu (& Chinese) historians written, say, a couple of hundred to a couple of thousand years ago. Thanks.
Airavat
BRF Oldie

Post by Airavat »

Forming the chronology of events in the ancient world has been problematic due to the lack of one commonly accepted era in every civilizational area——this is true of both India and the Mediterranean world.

It was a practice for every king to start his own era on accession to the throne and date the important events of his reign by that reckoning. Such a king’s successor would start his own era on becoming king, the father’s era would be forgotten, and the subjects would follow the new regnal reckoning.

Among the eras followed continuously were those of Seleucous Nikator, Alexander's general, who established his own rule over the latter's empire (312 BCE is the starting date of the Seleucid Era). He was the one who was defeated by the Maurya Empire in India....but the Mauryas did not establish one single era unfortunately.

As the Maurya Empire crumbled the Saka-Kushan's moved into NW India. One of the Indian kingdoms that resisted them was that of the Malav warrior clan in Rajasthan-MP with their capital at Ujjain. These people established the Samvat era (57 BCE) which was later named Vikrami Samvat after one of their kings.

The Saka-Kushans captured Ujjain from the Malav clan in 78 CE, on which occassion they established the Varsha era. It was later renamed Saka-Kaal and Shalivahan-Saka.

These two eras had a sort of rivalry in NW India. The foreigners and their vassals would use the Saka era while the independent Indian kingdoms would use the Vikrami Samvat. Around this time Ujjain became an important center of learning, especially in astronomy; noted astronomers like Varhamihiran and Aryabhatta lived and worked in this city and naturally used the Saka Era in their calculations. Jain monks in Gujarat also adopted the Saka era for their religious texts, and when many of them migrated to Maharashtra and Karnataka took this era with them.

But with the fall of the Sakas their era also disappeared from North India, and the Vikrami Samvat became commonly used. Even during Mughal rule the Hindu Kingdoms in the north used the Vikrami Samvat in most of their documents.

After India’s independence the government resolved to adopt a single calendar prepared on a scientific basis, which could be used uniformly across India.

The Calendar Reform Committee was set up in 1952 for this purpose. The Committee took three years to complete this task, with an active interest taken by Jawaharlal Nehru, India’s first Prime Minister.

The Saka Era was chosen for the Government of India’s (GOI) official calendar. Part of the reason was its general use in South India and partly its application in ancient astronomy. Nehru’s view of history cast doubt on the historicity of the Vikramaditya tradition while showering praise on the Kushan Emperor Kanishka. He also remained needlessly concerned with what outsiders would think of his association with Hindu tradition, since it was a fashion in those days to disregard Hindu views of history.

However Nehru’s hopes that the Saka Era would now be used by all Indians were belied. The long tradition of the use of Vikrami Samvat, and other traditional calendars, was too strong to be wished away by a bureaucratic decision. So while the GOI continues to symbolically use the Saka Era in official reckoning (where its use is pointless) the North Indian people continue with the Vikrami Samvat in traditional events and festivals (where the use is important)!
Raja Ram
BRFite

Post by Raja Ram »

I am presently reading the semi historical fiction Ponniyin Selvan the Son of Ponni (Ponni is another name of Cauvery) written by Kalki, who can be described the Sir Walter Scott of Tamil Litreature. It chronicles the life and times of Prince Arulmozhi Varman a.ka. Ponniyin Selvan and later more famously as Raja Raja Chozhan.

The story details the events leading upto his renunciation of the crown to his uncle who succeeds his father Emperor Paranthaka Sundara Chozhan. It also details the almost Karna like character of the crown prince and elder brother of Arulmozhi, Aditha Karikala Chozhan whose murder remains a mystery. For those who want there is an English translation available in five volumes of this famous novel ( Translated by CV Karthik Narayan).

I am interested in the many important wars that are mentioned in the book, the battle of Sevur (Chevur) where the young Prince Aditha Karikalan at the age of 12 enters the battle field and defeats the Pandya King Veera Pandyan and beheads him. The earlier battle of Thakalom where the Raja Raja's uncle Rajaadithar defeats the Emperor or Irrataimandalam Kannara Devan and his supporter Ganga King Bhuthaka but dies.

Earlier in this is the great war fought by Vijayalaya Chozhan for the Pallava Emperor. Where the old Chozha King having lost both his legs is supported by the Pazhuvettuvaryar on his shoulders and they both reverse the trend and pull of an impossible vicotory. The grateful Emperor gives back the Chozha kingdom as an independent state to Vijayalaya Chozhan whose reign marks the revival of the Chozha Dynasty.

Arulmozhi Varman leads the conquest of Lanka and for the first time, his army establishes a logistic support with the mainland. He takes a policy decision of not disturibing or looting the conquered lands for the requirements of the campaign but extends a logistic chain to supply the vast troops in Lanka which fight the Lankan King Mahindan.

Raja Raja establishes the first Sea Lane security on hearing the appeals of the powerful trading guilds agains pirates (Arabs, Chinese and others) and builds an organized navy, that is later put into use by his son Rajendra Chozhan who becomes amongst other things "Lord of ten thousand Islands".

I have tried the wiki and other sources, there is not much detail on the army tactics, weapons systems, navy assets that were used then or on some of these major wars. For instance, the battle of Thakalom involved literally hundreds of thousands of infantry and more than 50,000 elephants. Is there any other detailed account of the wars of Seyur (Chevur), Thakalom and the Ezham (lankan) wars?

The Chozha Navy are reported to have build huge fleets which were fast, durable and self sufficient to achieve what we would nowadays called blue water navy. The ships of the Chozhas dominated the Straits of Mallaca, and extended all the way to present day Indonesia.

Hoping to see if there is any further details that are available on these ships and the weapons and tactics that were used. The Navy had a clear organisation and the Admirals were called kalapathis.

It seems that this Naval tradition has been deliberately downplayed, erased and erdicated from memory to remove any trace of naval prowess of Indian rulers. I am sure that others like the kalingas and gujarat and Sind rulers must have has similar traditions. What we know today as naval traditions are the Maratha Sea Lords like Kanoji Angre. I am sure he was heir to a great sea power legacy. The Cheran Kings of the Malabar must have had a powerful Navy as well.

Even the great river based kingdoms have used rivers to build naval assets and the effective use of his boats by the great Assamese General Lachit Barphukan against the Moghuls are testimony to that.

Any details on this will be highly appreciated. The ancient Naval traditions can be documented as a separate section for the BR Naval Site.
Raja Ram
BRFite

Post by Raja Ram »

Some more interesting facts about the Chozhas that were possibly unique:

1. Practiced appointing the heir apparent during the emperor's life time, that ensure proper training and avoiding succession issues, Arul mozhi was yuvraja and co-regent to his uncle Uttama before he ascended. His son Rajendra Chozha I was yuvaraja during lifetime of Raja Raja and was involved in famous campaigns against Vengi

2. Raja Raja's elder sister Princess Kundavai was an important personage and co-ruled with him. Raja Raja's queens were also given a role in administration and helped the King. Princess Kundavi was able to use her own money and set up several hospitals. Again a break from tradition, where most Queens used money to promote temples, arts and other pursuits.

3. Rajendra Chozha did not believe in not venturing out or conquering foreign territories across sea, he was bale to extract tributes from the King of Thailand and Kampuchea, in fact the Kampuchean dynasty can be traced to Chozhan lineage even.

4. Of course the system of local administration as evidenced by the Thirvalangadu Copper plates, Utharamerur excavations and copper plates denote a system of administration that was based on local self administration and a fine balance of power

5. All the major Empires had a system of Republican Guards like the Kaikolar battalion of the Chozhas and the Appathudavigal of the Pandyas. These were sworn to protect the crown. The equivalent of the first commando events as seen in the Mahabharatha War (Samasthapathikas). They were trained and armed very differently from the rest of the army.

The last one cannot be verified, but the Chozhan geneology as like the Pandyas trace a long line. The Chozhas claimed lineage from the solar dynasty and claimed Sibi Chakravarty as their ancestor, hence the name Sembiyan (descendant of sibi) that is attached to every Chozha King, the Pandyans claim their lineage again from ancient times and the mention of the Pandyan king in Mahabharatha War as a brave warrior and particpant with his army is a testimony to that.

Again, this is being questioned by "historians" but one suspects this is again because of a need to render a history which does not come in the way of imperial narrative of Euro Centric and British Empire. If this is true it is another argument that will question the so called Aryan-Dravidian divide - hence not being talked about much by the Tamil "guardians" of today.[/i]
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Rajaram I too started reading Poniyin Selvan. However I dont have access to the five books. Onl the first two books in pdf form. i posted links to that in the Indian interests thread. While searching for historical basis I stumbled on the history of south India and the book on vijayanagara by Suryanarain Row. The links are in the E-books thread.

The tamil version is online you can get the full text but doesnt help me.

Blog spot on PS retold

I read a book review in the Illustrated Weekly long ago when AS Raman was the editor. The book was about Kalinga ship building and naval architecture. I dont know the author's name any longer.

-------
While at it there is book on internet in pdf format "India in Kaildasa" written by Dr. Upadhaya. It has a very good chapter on th organization of armed forces as depicted in Kalidasa's works. Page 157 onwards.
I found it in the digital links site but dont have url anymore.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

Thanks Airavat.
bala
BRF Oldie

Post by bala »

This thread is outstanding, fascinating and thanks to everyone contributing. I am wondering, given the vast legacy of India and its kingdoms of yore with Varmans/Kshatriyas blazing the trail of governance, important knowledge accumulated over the centuries has been lost. Reviving such knowledge is of paramount importance for Indians, to learn and assimilate. Why? India is well on its way to dominating the world culturally, economically and politically. The existing paradigms that are in vogue may not be sufficient to re-establish India ascendancy. We need a paradigm that worked, was novel and produced the kind of results which are evident even to this day. Everything needs to be re-examined, the art of warfare, art of governance, economics, science, literature, culture. What the west has done so far may not be durable over time. There are already strains and cracks appearing. I am sure that the answers to these pressing questions have been answered in the past. It is up to us to re-discover and incorporate them.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Major-Gen Palit, the soldier who thought ahead
'The Marathas fought a glorious guerrilla war against the Mughal empire for 22 years and ultimately destroyed Mughal rule in India. How is it that against the British, the same Marathas gave up so tamely?' It was this that launched me on a quest that brought out that indeed, the Marathas fought the British equally bravely and the outcome at Assye and Wadgaon battles was a Maratha victory. But subsequently, since they ended up losing the war, this real history was buried under a pile of lies. The task of correcting distortions in our history is indeed gigantic, but it is General Palit who has initiated this long, thousand-mile journey.
History anyone
Maratha history seems all set to go international as newspapers dated February 6 reported the launch of a film project on the battle of Wadgaon, which took place between the English and the Marathas in 1778-79.

In this classic battle, Maratha general Mahadji Shinde lured the English up the Khandala ghats. Once he trapped them in a country suitable for cavalry operations, his horsemen harassed the English from all sides, attacked their supply base in Khopoli and followed a scorched earth policy. Until, on the night of January 13-14, the demoralised English began to retreat from Talegaon. The alert Marathas, however, launched a fierce attack, forcing the English to withdraw to the village of Wadgaon. Here, surrounded on all sides and starved for water and food, the English finally surrendered to Mahadji Shinde. It was a defeat such as never suffered by the British in India.

Unfortunately, the Marathas, in a spirit of chivalry, let the English off the hook and permitted them to retreat to Bombay (now, Mumbai) to fight another day. The episode was reminiscent of Prithviraj Chauhan releasing the defeated Mohammed Ghori after the battle of Thaneshwar.

Towards the early 20th century, as there appeared the first stirrings of resistance in Maharashtra, the colonial rulers saw the symbolic value of Wadgaon as a rallying point for both Maratha pride and Indian nationalism and hastened to nullify it.

Lieutenant Stewart, who commanded the advance English guard and was killed by the Marathas in the first week of January while on a reconnaissance mission near Karla, was hailed by the British as the 'hero' of the battle of Wadgaon. The actual battle occurred nearly a fortnight after his death. History books in Maharashtra spoke of Ishtur Fakda (Brave Stewart) and his (non-existent) heroics. A grave in Wadgaon was identified as that of Stewart's and an annual fair begun in his honour.

The memory of England's shameful defeat was cleverly obliterated and replaced by the myth of a brave Englishman who single-handedly fought hordes of natives.

Till recently, there was no monument to celebrate either the Marathas' spectacular victory or General Mahadji Shinde. Then, about seven years ago, a group of historians and public-spirited citizens -- including industrialist Arun Firodia (CEO, Kinetic Engineering) -- came together and erected a deepmala (a typical Maharashtrian tower found in many local temples) to honour the victorious Marathas.

The main aim behind this effort was to remind every Indian that even in this era of globalisation we are second to none. It is a reminder of how Shinde's leadership and the military skill displayed by the Marathas were world-class. But such is the apathy of the concerned bureaucrats and politicians that Mahadji Shinde's statue, which has been ready for two years, still awaits permission to be installed.

When this group learnt that an international filmmaker -- Roland Joffe of City of Joy and Killing Fields ­fame -- had been inspired to recreate the battle of Wadgaon on celluloid, they were thrilled.

Unfortunately, from all indications thus far, the film, which has been titled Invaders, is not about the Marathas. Nor is it about the perfidy of the English. Instead, the film focuses on the brave and dashing Lieutenant Stewart.

There is enough evidence of the mythical nature of the legend of Ishtur Fakda. Even a blatantly pro-English account of the Indian army like that by Philip Mason (A Matter of Honour -- An Account of the Indian Army, its Officers and Men, Penguin Books, 1976, page 127) does not find any mention of Lieutenant Stewart in context of the Wadgaon battle. Nor does A J Fortescue mention him in his authoritative work on the history of the British army (A History of the British Army, Vol III, Macmillan & Co, London, 1902). On the other hand, James Douglas says in Bombay & Western India Vol II (Marston & Co, London, 1893, page 445) that if the Marathas would have been as ruthless as Napoleon, 'not one man would have escaped from Wadgaon and the history of the East would have changed!' Again, there is no mention of Stewart!

Why then is this obvious effort being made to perpetuate the myth of the brave European and the 'honourable' natives who not only respect but actually venerate a dead enemy?

With a budget of $40 million, Joffe is bound to find many collaborators amongst Indians. As far as the denizens of Bollywood are concerned, the less said the better. If some of them can succumb to one phone call from Dubai, it is too much to expect them to have any spirit of nationalism. And if he needs the help of someone from Maharashtra to demolish Maratha pride... no problem! After all, it was Balaji Natu who hoisted the Union Jack over Shaniwarwada, the seat of Maratha power, on November 17, 1817.

Joffe, of course, will claim cinematic licence. What is not clear is why the Government of India -- which claims it is keen to restore the truth to history -- cannot at least ban him from filming in India and subsequently ban the film from being imported into the country!
Keshav
BRFite

Post by Keshav »

Sanku-
Your second article is 5 years old. The last I heard about that movie, the British director in coordination with an Indian (co-director) were showing the Marathas as victorious over the British.

I'll see if I can find the article.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Keshav wrote:Sanku-
Your second article is 5 years old. The last I heard about that movie, the British director in coordination with an Indian (co-director) were showing the Marathas as victorious over the British.

I'll see if I can find the article.
I know the second article is 5 years old. However since Maratha's were being discussed I thought it would be intresting to raise it again. If you see I pulled it out of a newer article which relates to Gen Palit; IDSA and the quest to correct distorted histories.

As far as I see on wiki and other sources; Wadagaon and Assye are still seen as British victories -- although the movie seems to have sunk without a trace. The distorted history still lives on -- just like its the case with Parvatraj and Alakshendra.
Airavat
BRF Oldie

Post by Airavat »

Sanku wrote:As far as I see on wiki and other sources; Wadagaon and Assye are still seen as British victories --
Wadgaon and Assaye are battles from two different wars.

Assaye, a British victory, was in the Second Anglo-Maratha War, which ended Maratha independence.

Wadgaon, a Maratha victory, was in the First Anglo-Maratha War. This was tempered by a British recovery, when the latter captured Gwalior Fort prompting Mahadji Scindia to negotiate a peace treaty, which ended the war between the two powers as a draw.

It was after this treaty that Scindia increased his own power in Central India, and brought the Delhi-Agra region under his control (1784). It was his successor Daulat Rao Scindia who lost Assaye.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Airavat wrote:Assaye, a British victory, was in the Second Anglo-Maratha War, which ended Maratha independence.
Well thats exactly why I quoted Col Athale when he says
It was this that launched me on a quest that brought out that indeed, the Marathas fought the British equally bravely and the outcome at Assye and Wadgaon battles was a Maratha victory. But subsequently, since they ended up losing the war, this real history was buried under a pile of lies.
Unfortunately the only other link on Rediff is only about Wadagon and not Assye. It would be interesting to know why Col Athale says that Assye was a maratha victory -- the battle that is.

Could it be a military victory in a battle later lost by strategic incompetence -- sort of like Haji Pir pass?
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

http://webcast.berkeley.edu/event_detai ... stid=21170

Buddhism and Warfare: A Note on Mahavamsa 25, 110
September 27, 2007, 07:00PM
6th Floor 2223 Fulton Street

View watch webcast

Speakers/Performers: Padmanabh S. Jaini, UC Berkeley; Gregory Schopen, Professor, UCLA; Robert Buswell, Professor, UCLA

Professor Jaini will examine the doctrinal implications of the grounds for "absolution" granted by the arahants in an act of warfare by a Buddhist king, apparently for the glory of the Dhamma.

Padmanabh S. Jaini is Professor emeritus of Buddhist Studies and co-founder of the Group in Buddhist Studies. Before joining UC Berkeley in 1972, he taught at the School of Oriental and African Studies, London and at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. He is the author of numerous monographs and articles on both Buddhism and Jainism. In the field of Buddhist Studies he is particularly well known for his work on Abhidharma and for his critical editions of the Abhidharmadipa (a Vaibhasika treatise), the Saratama (a commentary on the Astasahasrika Prajnaparamita), and a collection of apocryphal Jatakas, the Pannasa-Jataka, that appeared in four volumes (text and translation). His collected essays have appeared in two volumes, and, recently, he has been honored by a Festschrift (2003) with contributions on early Buddhism and Jainism.

Sponsored by the Center for Buddhist Studies
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

X-posted from IF....
Harshvardan wrote: Image

This Armour suit, the oldest artifact of museum belongs to 1120 AD and was designed for sword fighting. It has an armour shield for the protection of chest and the back along with armour cover for arms and a helmet. The metal used for it's manufacture is brass.

Indian Army Ordnance Museum

The Army Ordnance Corps Museum draws its genesis from a small private collection of Armament by Lord Warren Hastings, then Governer of Bengal Residency of British India

The private collection was converted into an Ordnance Museum in 1926 at Fort William, Kolkata.

in 1951, Maj Gen WT Wilson moved the museum to AOC School (now CMM Jabalpur). The museum has a collection of a large variety of weapons dating back to 1700 AD.

The history of development of the weapons ranging from the Samurai Swords and Muskets of 1700 AD to the automatic firearms of the present day are exhibited.

Besides, the Archives section houses old priceless relics and documents of the past era which make a very interesting and informative reading.
and
Harshvardan wrote:
kartiksri wrote:Please can you tell me what is the original place of this armor. Did the helmet also belong to the same set as this armor.
The image posted above is from the Indian army's Ordnance Corps Museum. This is thier website. http://oscc.gov.in/

The image can be found on this page.
http://oscc.gov.in/Aoc/museum.htm

You may need to contact them to find out more about the armour.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Quite really colonial bu relevant

Ships that were built in India

Ronen Sen, India’s ambassador to the United States, spoke at the commissioning of INS Jalashwa:

India has an ancient and well-known maritime tradition. There is a recorded history of more than 2,000 years of sea trade from the western and eastern coasts of India to as far as the Middle East as well as East Asia.

Whether it was Shivaji’s Maratha fleet or the naval strength of Haider Ali and Tipu Sultan, we have always been conscious of the vital need for a strong maritime defence.

Hundreds of ships have been built in India some of which have been intimately connected with great historic moments. In 1842, the Treaty of Nanking that ceded Hong Kong to the British was signed on board the HMS Cornwallis. The US national anthem, The Star-Spangled Banner, was composed on board HMS Minden, another vessel built in India. [Rediff]
Also note that the English, for they were not yet British, concentrated on East Coast of India than on the West which was a Maratha stronghold. Calcutta, Madras, Mauslipatnam(Bandar) were all on East coast of India.
Airavat
BRF Oldie

Post by Airavat »

Ramana,

The first English factory was established on the west coast, in the Mughal port of Surat, Gujarat in 1613. They later received the island of Mumbai as dowry from the Portuguese.

The Surat factory traded goods with the North Indian market but after Aurangzeb's war against the Rajputs (1679), and the Hindu resistance to his policy of imposing jaziya and ordering temple-destruction, the economy of the north declined due to non-stop war.

In the Deccan Shivaji raided Surat.....the English resisted his soldiers from their factory, and for this they were rewarded by Aurangzeb. But in Shivaji's second sack of Surat (1670) they were suspected of being in collusion with him. After the Marathas left, the English sailors defending the factory came out and joined the local ruffians in plundering what was left in the city, hence the rewards were withdrawn. The European infidels were also made to comply with the jaziya tax but in a roundabout way; through the addition of 1% to the normal custom duty on their goods.

On the west coast the piracy by European ships was also a cause of friction between the English and the Mughals.

Aurangzeb's 25-year war in the Deccan against the Marathas, Bijapur, and Golconda, ruined the economy of the greater part of the Indian Peninsula.....so both the North and the West were burning in Aurangzeb's long reign.

The east (Bengal) and south (TN coast) on the other hand were largely peaceful during this time and their economies prospered. This is why most of the trade shifted to those regions, and the European powers expanded later from those bases.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

I found a brief reference of an english pirate called captain tew who was executed by the mughals on being captured in the red sea or arabian sea. i think they blew him apart from a canon

there is some stuff on wiki on that, but i first heard it from someone i met last year

more info welcome
bala
BRF Oldie

Post by bala »

INDUS Valley Civilization is the key to understanding Indian civilization. Now,
From Indus Valley to coastal Tamil Nadu, strong resemblances between graffiti symbols in Tamil Nadu and the Indus script

Megalithic pots with arrow-work graffiti found at Sembiankandiyur village in Nagapattinam district.

[quote]CHENNAI: In recent excavations in Nagapattinam district in Tamil Nadu, megalithic pottery with graffiti symbols that have a strong resemblance to a sign in the Indus script have been found. Indus script expert Iravatham Mahadevan says that what is striking about the arrow-mark graffiti on the megalithic pottery found at Sembiyankandiyur and Melaperumpallam villages is that they are always incised twice and together, just as they are in the Indus script.

The Hindu published on April 27 a report (“Megalithic period pottery foundâ€
Airavat
BRF Oldie

Post by Airavat »

Airavat wrote:Akbar's attack on Chittor (1567-68) as illustrated in the Akbarnama miniatures....

......After several failed attempts to breach the fort walls, the Mughals construct towers to gain a vantage point to fight the Rajputs inside the hill-fort. One day Akbar, armed with a matchlock, shoots down the Rajput commander Jaimal Rathore by a lucky shot.
This Jaimal Rathore, who commanded the defenders of Chittor, was actually the ruler of the small kingdom of Merta near Ajmer. His kingdom was attacked by the Mughals in 1562 as depicted in the following painting:

After the fall of Merta Jaimal, his family, and followers took shelter in Mewar where he was appointed commander of Chittor Fort. The alliance between Chittor and Merta was a little older.....Jaimal's aunt Meera Bai (the famous saint-poetess) had been married to a Chittor prince, the Merta Rathores fought alongside Rana Sanga against Babur (1527), and Jaimal later received the estate of Badnore for his services to the Maharana.

Naguar near Merta was also captured by the Mughals who set up their own governor. This painting depicts a later visit by Akbar to Nagaur.....the poor workers are forced and whipped into cleaning the water tank outside the fort:

In 1572, four years after the fall of Chittor, the Mughal governor Khan Kilan marched through the Marwar plains towards Gujarat. On the way he threatened the small hill-kingdom of Sirohi bordering Mewar; in the negotiations that followed, the Rajput envoys stabbed him in anger. Fighting broke out between the two sides but the Mughals were repulsed by the ruler Man Singh Deora:

Sirohi later kept switching its allegiance from the Mewar to the Mughals and back, with every change in the military conflict between Pratap and Akbar.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

http://www.scribd.com/doc/420268/Anecdotes...a_related_doc=1

http://www.scribd.com/doc/420272/The-Histo...a_related_doc=1

For the last 60 years,the Communist historians with the tacit approval of the Congress party have distorted Indian history.The Communist governments of West Bengal and Kerala are in the forfront of this disinformation campaign.Koenraad Elst calls this "negationism" or denial of historical facts.Here are some documents which shed some light on India's turbulent past.Untold millions have been massacred, in a manner that is evocative of what the Church has wrought in South America

http://www.scribd.com/doc/420274/The-Histo...a_related_doc=1

http://www.scribd.com/doc/420279/The-Histo...a_related_doc=1

http://www.scribd.com/doc/420280/The-Histo...a_related_doc=1

http://www.scribd.com/doc/420282/The-Histo...a_related_doc=1

http://www.scribd.com/doc/420284/The-Histo...a_related_doc=1

http://www.scribd.com/doc/503367/The-Histo...a_related_doc=1

http://www.scribd.com/doc/420286/The-Histo...a_related_doc=1

http://www.scribd.com/doc/420317/A-HISTORY...a_related_doc=1
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: Historical Battles in Ancient & Medieval Bharat-2

Post by ramana »

Sanjay and Airavat , You might find this interesting. Sometime back there was a disscussion on medieval cannon in India. Here is an author who wrote a book on it.
Vriksh wrote:Got this by email today.
Dear Colleagues

We have recently completed a large body of research on the vintage cannons
of the Indian sub-continent, especially to highlight the status of
metallurgy in pre-modern India.

The work is now available in the form of a book titled THE SAGA OF INDIAN
CANNONS. The details of the book are provided in the attachment.

I would be grateful if you can pass this information on to people and
libraries who may be interested in the subject.

Thanking you for your kind co-operation, I remain

Yours sincerely
R Balasubramaniam
22 Aug 08
http://www.ias.ac.in/currsci/jul252008/261.pdf
http://www.hindu.com/br/2008/05/27/stor ... 031400.htm
http://www.iitk.ac.in/infocell/announce/metallo
Vsunder, Can you contact thee author?

ramana
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

While searching for saltpeter production in India as stated in the comments section of the pdf linked above, I found this from UC Davis:

Fertilizers and Firepower
nkumar
BRFite

Post by nkumar »

ramana wrote:Sanjay and Airavat , You might find this interesting. Sometime back there was a disscussion on medieval cannon in India. Here is an author who wrote a book on it.
Vsunder, Can you contact thee author?

ramana
ramana: I know the author, R Balasubramaniam, though the author may not remember a sleeping-back-bencher in his lectures! If any info is required, I can request the author.