How to join the Armed Forces? - Recruitment Thread

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Re: How to join the Armed Forces? - Recruitment Thread

Post by Rahul M »

so not even hearsay but dubious extrapolation forms the basis of your authoritative comments ?!
:-?
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

There is little good which will come out of these discussions about corruption , lets leave it at that.

Coming back to the SSB , for those who wear glasses they can undergo 'LASIK' (at least 6 months prior to SSB ) this is from horse's mouth in fact suggested by the officer presiding over the medical tests.
Hari
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Hari »

Negi Sir,
My friend resigned from IMA after 26 days of training in 2005 [TES entry],
He now regrets the decision to quit. After completing graduation he attended 5 SSBs, but could not get recommended [screened out - last time].

Can he ever make it to Army again.

Hari
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

negi wrote:There is little good which will come out of these discussions about corruption , lets leave it at that.

Coming back to the SSB , for those who wear glasses they can undergo 'LASIK' (at least 6 months prior to SSB ) this is from horse's mouth in fact suggested by the officer presiding over the medical tests.
Negi sir, Don't take me bad sir, but just wanted to confirm the above statement.. Can i undergo LASIK ( i am wearing glasses) before joining the Armed forces...
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Bala yes getting vision corrected via LASIK or any other means is perfectly legal and acceptable , treatment or no treatment one should be able to meet the minimum requirements for the vision test as laid out for the type of entry scheme .

Having said that you should seek at least 2 or more opinions from ophthalmologists in your town/city before you decide to go down this route , armed forces are very particular and strict about meeting fitness criteria before joining , I would say if your vision is within requisite limits then better go for LASIK after you join the services (just to be sure for no one guarantees a 100% success rate for any medical procedure , of course if it is outside the allowed limits you have little to loose).

Hari

SSB panels do maintain a history of candidate's previous record , I was told by a GTO that if a candidate is recommended but he fails to make it to the merit list (less vacancies ) then for his next SSB attempt the panel would take into consideration his past record .

To be honest in your friend's case I can only re-iterate what I said earlier i.e. give it a shot as many times as possible ; people who take the final call are humans some might only see his resignation while other might see his perseverance . :)

Btw please do away with 'sir' .
johnny_m
BRFite

Post by johnny_m »

Hi,

Manorama News (Malayalam News Channel) is reporting that during the last Army Recruitment Rally held at Kochi widespread corruption was prevalent. Their undercover agents (with camera) contacted this 'trust' headed by ex army officials and they asked for a Bribe of Rs 1 Lakh for Army recruitment. They said they will provide free pass in physical endurance and medical tests and give questions for the written test in advance. They also talked about recruitment in NCO posts in Navy and Air Force. If people are recruited like this for the armed forces it is a serious threat to national security, :(
kancha
BRFite

Post by kancha »

Hari wrote:Negi Sir,
My friend resigned from IMA after 26 days of training in 2005 [TES entry],
He now regrets the decision to quit. After completing graduation he attended 5 SSBs, but could not get recommended [screened out - last time].

Can he ever make it to Army again.

Hari
As Negi pointed out, the fact that he couldn't sustain the rigours of the training in his first shot might have gone against him.

As regards the recruitment goes, one must understand that the recruitment for the officers is vastly different from that for the jawans. The SSB looks for the specific OLQs through various tests and interactions while the recruitment of jawans is more about physical and medical standards judging by the Official Army Website and since it is an open rally system as per the site, chances of people looking to make a quick buck cannot be discounted.
Or it could be just that the touts take money from gullible young men and hope like hell that they get selected on their own steam, else full refund onlee :lol:
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

johnny_m wrote:Manorama News (Malayalam News Channel) is reporting that during the last Army Recruitment Rally held at Kochi widespread corruption was prevalent. Their undercover agents (with camera) contacted this 'trust' headed by ex army officials and they asked for a Bribe of Rs 1 Lakh for Army recruitment.
The Hindu also reports about some thing similar, but this time in Belgaum, regimental centre of the Maratha LI. But an advocate has already given all the details to MLIRC commandant and hope some action is immediately taken. How ever I guess these things happen primarily in "recruiment rallies" conducted for recruiting men at the lower ranks in the Army (and not officers).
Baldev
BRFite

Post by Baldev »

Sachin wrote:The Hindu also reports about some thing similar, but this time in Belgaum, regimental centre of the Maratha LI. But an advocate has already given all the details to MLIRC commandant and hope some action is immediately taken. How ever I guess these things happen primarily in "recruiment rallies" conducted for recruiting men at the lower ranks in the Army (and not officers).
my friend as far as officer rank recruiting is concerned all i can tell you that this isn't far from corruption

even state level civil services selection is in corruption because people write exams with pencil and that can be changed easily,not this but also police,pwd,ongc,railways,hiring of teachers in govt schools,medical department,armed forces medical college and other public sector companies.

the whole selection process for govt. jobs is fake,they show this many vacancies but not all those posts need to be filled because someone else is getting paid for those posts posted somewhere else.

tell me why people get selected in merchant navy and why not in Indian navy just because of above remarks,work in cargo ships is as much as physical and labor intensive one can find on naval ships.

moreover in Indian consulates in foreign countries people working there don't even know how to talk with others,so how do such people get hired by foreign ministry and lastly sorry for being out of thread
kancha
BRFite

Post by kancha »

Baldev, I do agree with most of the points you've made, except the first one.
You must realize that officer recruitment procedure is customized to get the most suited material to fulfill the criteria required to "lead" men into battle, not just manage the manpower assigned to work under you. This is also wherein lies the difference between the merchant navy and the Indian Navy. And this is why it should not be compared with the recruitment for civilian ranks at whatever level. You are just comparing apples with oranges here.
Do you think any of the babus could actually lead his army of clerks and peons in the face of fire? No, because firstly that is not a part of his job description and secondly because manyof them would anyway lack the charisma and the leadership qualities. This is the job requirement of the officers of the armed forces and they over and over again, prove themselves by laying down their lives. This is where the SSB comes in. The SSB is where they look to find the men with the required qualities, or the OLQs, who can lead their men in the face of death. That the system is working was amply proved in Kargil and innumerable other operations before and after it. The officers to jawans death ratio in Kargil was somewhere in the vicinity of 1 officer for every 13-14 jawans as against a serving ratio of approximately 1 officer for 40 - 50 jawans.
The system might be susceptible to getting compromised at times, as you said, but that would still not be able to account for the embarrassing deficiency in the number of officers in the services. The fact of the matter is that the services are just not able to attract the right kind of talent required for the job, despite the number of applicants. This is where the govt and the services need to be more proactive.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

sachin and johnny, I'm aware of the existence of rackets for lower rank recruitments, as I said last page. in most cases these are simply fraud rackets that have no power to get a person into the army.
they take the money and vanish. during most rallies you'll read reports of one such racket being caught by the police.
VikB
BRFite

Post by VikB »

Hi friends

Please inform if the Territorial Army noticfication of Dec 09 comes out.

Last time my great patriotic Indian company could not sign on the form as the did not have a laid out policy!! Bloody @#$%%##
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Why not take a subscription of employment news for next few months ? Most of the UPSC related stuff comes in EN including all notifications by the services.
VikB
BRFite

Post by VikB »

negi wrote:Why not take a subscription of employment news for next few months ? Most of the UPSC related stuff comes in EN including all notifications by the services.
Problem manyfold
1. Not all paper guys have Employment news
2. It is still possible to miss the advt in the all same-looking notifications
3. The paper vanishes from the stands very soon. so one slip up - and it is doomed for me.
4. I dont get a newspaper at my place :(
5. Tried Employment news website - not very helpful. Last time checked it constantly yet did not find the advt and a fren alerted me.
vipins
BRFite

Post by vipins »

VikB wrote:
negi wrote:Why not take a subscription of employment news for next few months ? Most of the UPSC related stuff comes in EN including all notifications by the services.
Problem manyfold
1. Not all paper guys have Employment news
2. It is still possible to miss the advt in the all same-looking notifications
3. The paper vanishes from the stands very soon. so one slip up - and it is doomed for me.
4. I dont get a newspaper at my place :(
5. Tried Employment news website - not very helpful. Last time checked it constantly yet did not find the advt and a fren alerted me.
Try registering for email updates on employment news site.They send regular updates everytime an issue is published.
Baldev
BRFite

Post by Baldev »

kancha wrote:Baldev, I do agree with most of the points you've made, except the first one.
You must realize that officer recruitment procedure is customized to get the most suited material to fulfill the criteria required to "lead" men into battle, not just manage the manpower assigned to work under you. This is also wherein lies the difference between the merchant navy and the Indian Navy. And this is why it should not be compared with the recruitment for civilian ranks at whatever level. You are just comparing apples with oranges here.
This is the job requirement of the officers of the armed forces and they over and over again, prove themselves by laying down their lives. This is where the SSB comes in. The SSB is where they look to find the men with the required qualities, or the OLQs, who can lead their men in the face of death. That the system is working was amply proved in Kargil and innumerable other .
my friend US air force and US navy has more personnel than Indian air force or navy so it means they also have more officers than officers in IAF or IN,only number of soldiers in IA is more

so if your saying is true that Indian armed forces require true "lead" men into battle, not just manage the manpower assigned to work under you out and armed forces can't even find such people to fill up the few ranks out of thousands of engineers.

so this also means that there are more intelligent engineers able to lead in battle in US, who are hired in greater numbers by US armed forces and US armed forces can find out of such people thousands of American engineers compared to Indian engineers not able to do so and they are not that intellignet thats why our engineers are not hired.

and this seems to be contradictory to your claim.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^ Baldev,
Have you actually heard from reliable sources (from your pov) about corruption in recruitment of IA Officers?
Or are you heard about corruption in US forces and assuming the same for IA too?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

AFAIK, in the US army (all branches for that matter) majority of the personnel are not career soldiers and recruitment policy is geared to attract more of the other category. in the Indian armed forces however career soldiers are the majority and in some branches the only category.
that is a big reason for deficit.
kancha
BRFite

Post by kancha »

Baldev wrote:
so this also means that there are more intelligent engineers able to lead in battle in US, who are hired in greater numbers by US armed forces and US armed forces can find out of such people thousands of American engineers compared to Indian engineers not able to do so and they are not that intellignet thats why our engineers are not hired.

and this seems to be contradictory to your claim.
Before I attempt a reply, kindly clarify whether you are talking specifically about the corps of engineers or just engineers as a metaphor for suitable academically qualified men.
thanks.
prouge
BRFite -Trainee

Post by prouge »

Hello folks,

Can any one tell me if civilians (non Tibetan refugees) can directly apply to Special Frontier Force (The smallest, most specialized paramilitary force in the world). Google was of no help and I cant travel all the way to Chakrata (If I do the most likely outcome would be a not so polite go away we don't know)

Secondly do most paramilitary forces(SFF,BSF, ITBP) have a compulsory tenure period (like in the regular army) or can a officer/javan serve (as an example), for 5 years and take voluntary retirement.

A retired air force officer told me that TA is a waste of time but I could be inducted into the regular army for upto 1 year at a stretch (no possibilities of stints in PARA-SF). He very strongly suggested i don't go down this route

Thank you for your patience
prouge
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

prouge wrote:Hello folks,

Can any one tell me if civilians (non Tibetan refugees) can directly apply to Special Frontier Force (The smallest, most specialized paramilitary force in the world). Google was of no help and I cant travel all the way to Chakrata (If I do the most likely outcome would be a not so polite go away we don't know)

Secondly do most paramilitary forces(SFF,BSF, ITBP) have a compulsory tenure period (like in the regular army) or can a officer/javan serve (as an example), for 5 years and take voluntary retirement.

A retired air force officer told me that TA is a waste of time but I could be inducted into the regular army for upto 1 year at a stretch (no possibilities of stints in PARA-SF). He very strongly suggested i don't go down this route

Thank you for your patience
prouge
Hi, in practice, those who wish to be embodied for long tenures in the TA are allowed to do so. This can go on for years. Recently there was also a first time case when a TA officer was commisioned into the cavalary regiment of the regular army.
pmund
BRFite

Post by pmund »

Rahul sir, here is my two-bit on OLQs. It’s a list that I could remember/collate. I never took any ‘coaching’ for my SSB so I don’t know what they teach at these centres. My GTO had told me that there are 42 OLQs, but here is my gut feeling of 37

1. Decision making capacity: quick, right and balanced
2. Honesty & integrity (be abs truthful about whatever u say)
3. Determination to face challenges
4. Ability to influence groups
5. Mental alertness
6. Good communication skills (how well you can justify your stand/comment on certain things)
7. Ability to keep secrets
8. Initiative (But don’t snatch the ropes or balli in over-eagerness)
9. Cooperation
10. Willingness & ability to delegate responsibility
11. Ability to face criticism with an open, learning mind
12. Cheerfulness & sense of humour
13. Raw physical courage
14. Determination
15. Discipline (in everything, even how you carry yourself in ur SSB centre & on out-pass)
16. No discrimination on any ground
17. Team spirit
18. Stamina & energy
19. Fairness of judgment
20. Innovative mind
21. Intelligence
22. Loyalty
23. Maturity
24. Optimism
25. Ability to take everyone along (including the straggler on load test)
26. Organizational ability
27. Originality of thought
28. Reasoning ability
29. Resourcefulness (think out of the box, the army doesn’t need yes-men)
30. Self-confidence
31. Selflessness
32. Sense of responsibility
33. Social adaptability
34. Stamina
35. Ability to critically analyse situations
36. Clear and logical expression of thought
37. Variety and depth of interest (the army doesn’t need bookworms)

I remember an interesting question asked by my GTO, col Chande, to a candidate, who completed the obstacle test thrice in the stipulated time. The GTO took him to the Tarzan jump, and asked if he would jump off the platform if it was 15 feet high. The josh type said yes. Would he jump if it was 20 feet high? The chap again said yes. He was not selected. The GTO later said the army “does not need monkeys”.
Moral of the story: use your head in SSB. That is the only thing that can get you through. Not your muscles, or your smart necktie and not in any way, your ‘contacts’. Just your intelligence and honesty.
Here is another interesting incident. On the first day of the GTO test, the saabs were after our asses to fall in at 0600, just when the tea came, boiling hot. A saab barked an order to 'drink up fast' while others were shouting to 'fall in line fast'. Most in the group scalded their tongues trying to drink the tea, noses and eyes running with tears. But six of us did not even have a sip. We left the cups and fell in line. I later realized that four of this group got selected. Moral: Fix your priorities, know which order is sensible enough to obey, and think out of the box.
Hope this will be useful to candidates. I am 100% sure no one cannot ‘cheat’ the SSB, with coaching or anything. If you have it in you, you would be in anyway, no matter which SSB ‘institute’ you went to or did not. And the few ‘SSB error cases’ will be out of the Academy before the first mid-term break because they aren’t just cut out for it. My regards and best wishes
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

thanks prasenjit sahab.
but why sir ? rahul will do just fine !
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

Is this how the IA interview happens ?

Indian Army:Interview experience
Hari
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Hari »

^^ This is just the initial screening [at Campus] for UES Entry
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Rony wrote:Is this how the IA interview happens ?

Indian Army:Interview experience
I am surprised.

Religion, politics and women are not on the agenda!
ajayv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ajayv »

Hi All,

Just thought i would share with all prospective TA applicants some info i gathered at the TA Group Headquarters, Pune. URBAN unit training has been abolished.i.e weekend training. Only provincial units are active now.i.e 2 months a year or you could extend that to a full year every year just like the regular army.you can resign as per your convenience. All infantry candidates are posted in field areas. compensation and perks are that of the regular army.hope the info helps.Thanks.Jai Hind.
Shubham
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shubham »

One of my friend is extremely enthusiastic about joining the armed forces , but her height is only 147cm (and she is from Orissa).

What options does she have if at all ? The best I could get was a minimum heigh of about 154 cm for Women Entries.
pmund
BRFite

Post by pmund »

The min height for women is 152 cm. Here is the link: http://www.employmentnews.gov.in/career ... 28-in.html

Btw, being from Orissa or any other state for that matter has nothing to do with ur chances of getting selected in SSB. regards
animesharma
BRFite

Post by animesharma »

I recently learnt that MoD is in process of setting up a common communication network for all wings of armed forces. Which once operational , will require many engineers to manage the systems.
I wish to know

a)What are the skills/qualification required (in future) for joining such organization.
b)what can be the recruitment procedure if and when the system is operationalized.

thank you!
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Hi i got a doubt...
I am a Biomedical engineer with a first class degree.. Almost ninety percent of papers in a semester are electronics... so in light of this, through which all entries can i apply for the armed forces, any branch... please help me out..
VikB
BRFite

Post by VikB »

This is an SOS call:

The Territorial Army application date is 15 March. I am working in a limited company. They are ok for giving me leaves without pay to join the TA but not ready to sign the part where they have to promise to pay me the difference in my current pay and the army pay. My HR has asked me to find if there is a policy on TA joining in any other private sector company.

If any of you have this info, please contact/reply me NOW.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Whats your email address?
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Bala Vignesh wrote:Hi i got a doubt...
I am a Biomedical engineer with a first class degree.. Almost ninety percent of papers in a semester are electronics... so in light of this, through which all entries can i apply for the armed forces, any branch... please help me out..
Army - General Entry (Infantry/Armour/Arms/Services)

Air Force - Flying (Pilot)

Navy - Executive Branch
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

bala, there's also the engn entry schemes, MES for army and similar ones for IAF and navy.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Rahul M wrote:bala, there's also the engn entry schemes, MES for army and similar ones for IAF and navy.

RM, Bala, as far as I am aware, Bio-engineering is not a qualifying discipline for IMA/OTA TECH entry. Only Electrical, Electronics, Telecommunications, Civil, Computer, Mechanical engineering qualify for army. Air force has more diverse disciplines listed on website. Please check up thoroughly.

MES (as it is commonly used in military parlance) is not for the army, MES is "Military Engineers Service", which is (oddly enough) a civilian organisation, staffed by members of the Indian Defence Service of Engineers, and not service officers (except on deputation).

Entry into the army is into the Corps of Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, Corps of Signals (ECE), and Corps of Engineers (Civil Engineering).

Navy also accepts various types of engineers, but those who are not listed in the type of engineers who are required, are free to apply in the General Executive cadre of the Navy.

Same way for airforce, those disciplines not required by the AF engineering branches, are welcome to apply for flying (pilot).

Best of luck!
VikB
BRFite

Post by VikB »

ASPuar wrote:Whats your email address?
thank you very much for offering to help. Got the required approval from the bigwigs.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

thanks for the correction.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Sometimes, even though a particular discipline is not listed in the advertisements, they are in fact acceptable for tech entry. Particularly since Bioengineering has some common elements with both electrical and mechanical.

Please check full details at:

Addl Dte Gen of Recruiting (TGC Entry)
Army HQs West Block III,
RamaKrishna Puram,
New Delhi- 110066

You can look up their phone number too, and they are usually happy to help, if you ask nicely! :)
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

I would add, Bala, that if you are looking at lifestyle choice, as an engineering officer, Air Force is probably best (no offence to anyone, this is SIMPLY MY PERCEPTION!)

To break it down:

Army:

1. Probably largest opportunity to reach higher rank (more positions of Brigadier, Major General, and Lieutenant General levels).

2. See all parts of country that ordinary people dont get to see. Arunachal, Sikkim, Kashmir, etc etc. Nice postings in peace stations also.

3. Good style of living (at least in the old days!)

Air Force:

1. Less high level ranks

2. Postings are generally in safe areas, even in hardship areas, you dont have to leave base very much.

3. Peace postings almost always.

Navy:

1. Good career prospects, small well managed cadre.

2. Coastal areas dominate postings

3. Foreign trip possibilities early in service. Naval diplomacy ensures this.

4. High employablity after service. Merchant Navy.

5. Good standard of living.