Small Arms Thread

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ks_sachin
BRFite
Posts: 406
Joined: 24 Jun 2000 11:31
Location: Sydney

Re: Small Arms Thread

Postby ks_sachin » 07 Jun 2018 08:19

Thakur_b

Thanks. Do visit DSA small arms who have made th fnfal modern. There is one vid on just the cosmetic changes. I will post links.

This is not a capability beyond us... heck

Sad...

ks_sachin
BRFite
Posts: 406
Joined: 24 Jun 2000 11:31
Location: Sydney

Re: Small Arms Thread

Postby ks_sachin » 07 Jun 2018 08:24

Btw I am not intelligent enough to understand most of the stuff every one here is an expert on but thanks for insight.

ks_sachin
BRFite
Posts: 406
Joined: 24 Jun 2000 11:31
Location: Sydney

Re: Small Arms Thread

Postby ks_sachin » 07 Jun 2018 08:24

What are probs with MCIWS

ks_sachin
BRFite
Posts: 406
Joined: 24 Jun 2000 11:31
Location: Sydney

Re: Small Arms Thread

Postby ks_sachin » 09 Jun 2018 06:38

https://youtu.be/U6SRCpDZuNg

Thakue_b have a look

ks_sachin
BRFite
Posts: 406
Joined: 24 Jun 2000 11:31
Location: Sydney

Re: Small Arms Thread

Postby ks_sachin » 10 Jun 2018 09:20

Thakur_b you said ace and the ofb are quite similar. Having said that have you observed the charging handle on the ofb rifle. It so far ahead. We may have the same ossue with front hand guard..

Rakesh
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5079
Joined: 15 Jan 2004 12:31
Location: Planet Earth
Contact:

Re: Small Arms Thread

Postby Rakesh » 13 Jun 2018 20:32

https://twitter.com/indiandefence11/sta ... 9108384770 --> Indian Army Madras Regiment sniper being briefed upon the Remington M2010 Enhanced Sniper Rifle while the spotter is equipped with Leupold Mk.4 Compact spotter scope. M2010 fires a .300 Winchester Magnum (7.62×67mm) round and is effective up to 1200 metres.

Image

Image

Rakesh
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5079
Joined: 15 Jan 2004 12:31
Location: Planet Earth
Contact:

Re: Small Arms Thread

Postby Rakesh » 13 Jun 2018 21:32

https://twitter.com/Parthu_Potluri/stat ... 5555943424 ---> Check out these panoramic quad-tube night vision goggles (model: BNVD-P) from Bangalore-based Tonbo Imaging, similar in layout & function to the GPNVG-18 worn by Navy SEALS during OBL raid.

Image

Image

Rakesh
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5079
Joined: 15 Jan 2004 12:31
Location: Planet Earth
Contact:

Re: Small Arms Thread

Postby Rakesh » 13 Jun 2018 21:34

https://twitter.com/Parthu_Potluri/stat ... 3969057793 ---> From the product description of the Staghound targeting system, it appears that Tonbo Imaging is also making meaningful strides in the field of White Phosphor-based lo lux image-intensifying tech:

https://tonboimaging.com/tonbo/products/staghound/

Image

Rakesh
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5079
Joined: 15 Jan 2004 12:31
Location: Planet Earth
Contact:

Re: Small Arms Thread

Postby Rakesh » 13 Jun 2018 21:35

Now that is COOL!!!!

https://twitter.com/indiandefence11/sta ... 7381235712 ---> COAS General Bipin Rawat trying out the Tonbo Imaging WolfPack multi aperture and multispectral real time panoramic imaging system which is designed to increase situational awareness.

Image

Karan M
Forum Moderator
Posts: 15210
Joined: 19 Mar 2010 00:58

Re: Small Arms Thread

Postby Karan M » 13 Jun 2018 22:58

^^ It will be awesome if IA regularly starts buying from Tonbo.

Sid
BRFite
Posts: 1527
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 13:26

Re: Small Arms Thread

Postby Sid » 14 Jun 2018 09:41

Rakesh wrote:Now that is COOL!!!!

https://twitter.com/indiandefence11/sta ... 7381235712 ---> COAS General Bipin Rawat trying out the Tonbo Imaging WolfPack multi aperture and multispectral real time panoramic imaging system which is designed to increase situational awareness.

Image


It's a Microsoft Hololens.

This is how it actually looks like.
Image

Neshant
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4280
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30

Re: Small Arms Thread

Postby Neshant » 18 Jun 2018 11:42

What a shame.

Indian army plans to buy rifles from an overseas shopping spree rather than improving on the indegenous INSAS.

------

India Army is said to pare down rifles order to 250,000

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 450104.cms

A scouting team will be leaving later this month to meet with foreign rifle-makers including Colt’s Manufacturing Company LLC, Italy’s Fabbrica d’Armi Pietro Beretta S.p.A, Swiss Sig Sauer Inc., the Czech Republic’s Ceska Zbrojovka and Israel Weapons Industry Ltd. to identify the most suitable weapon, the person said.

ks_sachin
BRFite
Posts: 406
Joined: 24 Jun 2000 11:31
Location: Sydney

Re: Small Arms Thread

Postby ks_sachin » 18 Jun 2018 15:45

Neshant wrote:What a shame.

Indian army plans to buy rifles from an overseas shopping spree rather than improving on the indegenous INSAS.

------

India Army is said to pare down rifles order to 250,000

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 450104.cms

A scouting team will be leaving later this month to meet with foreign rifle-makers including Colt’s Manufacturing Company LLC, Italy’s Fabbrica d’Armi Pietro Beretta S.p.A, Swiss Sig Sauer Inc., the Czech Republic’s Ceska Zbrojovka and Israel Weapons Industry Ltd. to identify the most suitable weapon, the person said.


Better they go and get something that works. Improving the INSAS - thats a joke because after more than a decade of user feedback the design is still where it was. The new 7.62 version is no better - no originality. Just go see what people have done with the venerable FN FAL design.
And before you shoot me please spend a month looking at small arms design and then come back and tell us if the Army is justified or not (after comparing to the sorry offering from the OFB). Also look at all of Thakur_B's posts.
Mate infact just look at the Galil Ace 52 and compare that to our 7.62 OFB. The little things matter....

souravB
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 16
Joined: 07 Jun 2018 13:52

Re: Small Arms Thread

Postby souravB » 18 Jun 2018 18:53

^^^
Totally agree.
A rifle is an infantry's best friend. Designing it should be as much art as much science.
Western countries allow gun ownership and most designers are avid lovers of firearms. They not only know what is the science behind but also the feeling.
A rifle is such a personal thing that you cannot replicate unless you have the same love and adoration dedicated to it as the original designer.
Though it is better to have homemade options but sometimes it is not avoidable. Even the mighty MIC of USA imports H&K rifles for its SF.
We can save money from other indigenous options like NVD and lasers, but we need to indulge in this option.
But what I for the life of me cannot understand is why we need to import the MicroDots with each rifle since we already have an indigenous one. Can get another rifle for the price.

Bart S
BRFite
Posts: 1181
Joined: 15 Aug 2016 00:03

Re: Small Arms Thread

Postby Bart S » 18 Jun 2018 19:26

ks_sachin wrote:
Neshant wrote:What a shame.

Indian army plans to buy rifles from an overseas shopping spree rather than improving on the indegenous INSAS.

------

India Army is said to pare down rifles order to 250,000

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 450104.cms

A scouting team will be leaving later this month to meet with foreign rifle-makers including Colt’s Manufacturing Company LLC, Italy’s Fabbrica d’Armi Pietro Beretta S.p.A, Swiss Sig Sauer Inc., the Czech Republic’s Ceska Zbrojovka and Israel Weapons Industry Ltd. to identify the most suitable weapon, the person said.


Better they go and get something that works. Improving the INSAS - thats a joke because after more than a decade of user feedback the design is still where it was. The new 7.62 version is no better - no originality. Just go see what people have done with the venerable FN FAL design.
And before you shoot me please spend a month looking at small arms design and then come back and tell us if the Army is justified or not (after comparing to the sorry offering from the OFB). Also look at all of Thakur_B's posts.
Mate infact just look at the Galil Ace 52 and compare that to our 7.62 OFB. The little things matter....


As long as the OFB has a virtual monopoly on local small arms development, nothing much is going to improve. We need to get private companies involved and kick the lazy unionized parasites to the kerb.


Return to “Military Issues & History Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bart S, gauravsharma, Ravishankar and 22 guests