Possible Indian Military Scenarios - XII

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
p_saggu
BRFite

Re: Possible Indian Military Scenarios - XII

Post by p_saggu »

Hey Vivek, Very very good.
Two things though:
1. The scenario has to have a name given to it by the Author.
2. A map at this stage will really help.
Hari Sud
BRFite

Post by Hari Sud »

Vivek

When were you in Demchok area last.

You show a precise location of Chang & Jara passes.

Very good geographical knowledge.

A map but not a terrain map will help.

hari
dhruvarka
BRFite -Trainee

Post by dhruvarka »

For the Chinese it meant holding off the units of the Indian XV Corps trying to take these passes and instead moving ground troops and vehicles northwards to ultimately capture the entire tract all the way up to Chushul.

Vivek,
Shouldn't it be XIV corps based at Leh? XV corps is based in Srinagar and tasked to defend western kashmir AFAIK.
Sontu
BRFite

Post by Sontu »

Vivek,

Great culmination of knowledge, imaginations...and good write up.
You can put it so detailed way and beautifully depict the scenario …never came across something like the ones you have been writing.
Keep it up yaar.

Could you please construct a detailed scenario based on the following situations..accumulating to a full scale conflict with PRC.

1. A surprise but a very powerful and brutal attack at Chicken’s neck area of borders with Bhutan, Sikkim, Bengal First.
2. The objective is to VERY QUICKLY CUT THRU THIS NARROW NECK CONNECTING REST OF INDIA TO NORTH-EAST AND TOTALLY ISOLATEING NORTH EAST , POPULATION AND INDIAN FORCES STRUGGLING FOR DAILY NEEDS.
3. Pakistan maintains a aggressive posture at throughout western borders..but carefully avoiding to escalate in to a direct conflict .
4. PLA forces tries holds their position at Aksai Chin, Tibet and Ladakh region ..here they have a defensive position.
5. Then PLA forces tries to push IA in Arunachal Pradesh as it becomes relatively easy job because the regular supply and support to IA is effected due to cut off.

I feel this will be PRC’s strategy for the next limited conflict in the east..the objective would be to
1. Not a prolonged war ....instead a very quick and powerful focused approach to cutoff the Entire North East at Chicken’s neck region.
2. Have a upper hand position for negotiation
3. Controlled/limited the collateral and civil damage.
4. PL Navy/Marines will not have any role to play in this kind conflicts and hence they still will be focused/defend PRC’s east shore with Tiwan.

Is this kind of situation/scenario possible..?

Regards,
sarabpal.s
BRFite

Post by sarabpal.s »

^^^^^^^
:arrow:
what is you are suggesting about aksai china and arunachal pardesh is allready true but heavy attack need large backup which cant hide from eye in sky right from 1step major offense around chicken neck not possible nows day without alerting other.

Vivek
can you add date to scenarios
if you talking about current time than we may have very little surprise in our kitty for offensive's force
but if date is 4 to 5 years from now' than we can surprise them with big black project like stealth, plasma Kali, .50 resolution, AMR, Desi smerch, less expencive muntion new guns and missile and laser guided sudarshan in one forth cost of Americans.
EMP guns i think it is overoptimistic yet possible LCH LCA and MCA offcourse maybe :twisted:
Mihir.D
BRFite

Post by Mihir.D »

Folks,

Please stop dictating to Vivek. We don't want to over burden him with suggestions, do this, do that.
He has left his last scenario incomplete.
Lets hope he is not forced to do that this time too.

Thanks.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Sontu, to launch a powerful attack you need to flood the area with
people, supplies and armour + dominate the air above it. if you check
map there's only two passes Nathu La and Jelep La to make
major sikkim incursion from the area between sikkim and bhutan.

worst come worst by blowing up the gangtok highway this incursion
can be stopped (vehicles anyway).

and they must keep the garrison in north sikkim from taking them in the rear and IA from bhutan filtering in through the half dozen
passes facing west and engulf their rear too.

imho the flat tabletop terrain in north sikkim is where they can better bring logistical advantages to bear and their flanks and rear relatively safe.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

In addition to Bhutan, India also has security agreements with Nepal allowing use of infrastucture - roads, air corrdior etc. in case war breaks out.

Unless Bangladesh tries to break out it will be very difficult for prc to cut through the siliguri corridor.
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

OFFTOPIC
@Vivek_Ahuja

Are you the same Vivek Ahuja from MESCOE??
Hari Sud
BRFite

Post by Hari Sud »

Vivek

Take a few weeks holiday in the wake of Mumbai attack. Your specility is India-China border, you need rest and recuperation.

Shankar, please take over.

Shankar has written some of the best Indo-Pak scenario. His scenario of Pak planes hiding behind Air India commercial flight to reach Bombay High oil platform was great. His other scenario of Jamnagar air attack by Pak F-16 as he described by TV team who happened to be present at Jamnagar, has been one of the greatest.

It is high time that Shankar spares some time and write a possible scenario which could unfold in Rajastahn, Punjab or Kashmir in next few weeks.

Thanks

Hari
Mihir.D
BRFite

Post by Mihir.D »

Can somebody write a scenario where after a terrorist attack like that in Mumbai the GOI actually decides to take things in its own hands and pursues covert action to get the 21 most wanted to India .
Singh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Singh »

Come on vivek.... pls continue ur scenario.
Need to read bout some ass-kicking soon. Dont really care if it's Chinese or Pakistani butt's being kicked....
Kindly continue your scenario!!!!!
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Hari Sud wrote:Vivek

Take a few weeks holiday in the wake of Mumbai attack. Your specility is India-China border, you need rest and recuperation.

Shankar, please take over
A very bad idea. This scenario needs to be finished. Shankar can start another scenario in parallel if he has time.
Singh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Singh »

Hari Sud wrote:Vivek

Shankar, please take over.

Shankar has written some of the best Indo-Pak scenario. His scenario of Pak planes hiding behind Air India commercial flight to reach Bombay High oil platform was great. His other scenario of Jamnagar air attack by Pak F-16 as he described by TV team who happened to be present at Jamnagar, has been one of the greatest.

It is high time that Shankar spares some time and write a possible scenario which could unfold in Rajastahn, Punjab or Kashmir in next few weeks.

Thanks

Hari
Take a chill Hari.... Dont think Vivek need's your advice....
Hari Sud
BRFite

Post by Hari Sud »

Singh

Mind your language.

Second: Vivek is irregular in his post and busy with his studies. At times I have noted some of you beg him for posts. That is not a good idea.

Suggest that scenario writing and completion should be taken up a bit more seriously.

But I am with Jamwal and would let Vivek continue at his pace and Shankar begin his scenario on Indo-Pak confrontation. That is the need of the hour. Indo-Pak confrontation is a real possibility. Person like Shankar has real insight into this.

Hari Sud

Note: I wish you guys are a bit civil in your posts and use better language. Your personality is determined by not by how intelligent you are but how smartly you conduct yourself. Bad language even if used in cyberspace is a sign of bad personality.

(Ramana, please be a bit more strict with a few of these uncontrolled guys)
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Hari sir,

The only reason there has been such a gap in this thread for the past week or so is that I was under the impression based on low BR posts off late that focus was on the Mumbai attacks etc and was actually giving the thread a breather (as you yourself had suggested sometime back).

I didn't think the readers would be in the right receptive mood for the work.

If however, this is not the case then I see no reason why I cannot resume the posts.

Also, granted that I am somewhat irregular with the posts based on personal issues but I can assure you that I take the job very seriously. The delays, more often than not, are a result of the required research into the post more than any other thing. It is the same question of quality versus quantity. I was under the impression that I was attempting the former, but apparently it has been represented otherwise.

However, if my slow posting speed and style is incompatible with this thread's requirements, then please let me know and I can stop and we can let Shankar resume his work.

-Vivek
asbchakri
BRFite

Post by asbchakri »

vivek_ahuja wrote:Hari sir,

The only reason there has been such a gap in this thread for the past week or so is that I was under the impression based on low BR posts off late that focus was on the Mumbai attacks etc and was actually giving the thread a breather (as you yourself had suggested sometime back).

I didn't think the readers would be in the right receptive mood for the work.

If however, this is not the case then I see no reason why I cannot resume the posts.

Also, granted that I am somewhat irregular with the posts based on personal issues but I can assure you that I take the job very seriously. The delays, more often than not, are a result of the required research into the post more than any other thing. It is the same question of quality versus quantity. I was under the impression that I was attempting the former, but apparently it has been represented otherwise.

However, if my slow posting speed and style is incompatible with this thread's requirements, then please let me know and I can stop and we can let Shankar resume his work.

-Vivek
Vivek bhai we have absolutely no issues with your style of writing. Infact we love the tension when you take your time. So dont bother about the views of a very very few minority, and please think about the vast majority of us and please continue with your posts. I think the viewers were a bit taken away by the incidents in mumbai. But i think they would very much welcome a good Scenario. Also i think you can bring the Porkis into the scenario as you have already mentioned about the F-16's in your scenario. :twisted:

Whatever it is please continue. :) :)
vila
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vila »

Hari,

Please stop directing others. Its not the first time you have done so. Just remember that what vivek or shankar or any other author is doing is just as a hobby and not as paid job so none of us (including your highness) has any right to question his frequency of posts. And about manners its better that at your age you lead by example.
Mihir.D
BRFite

Post by Mihir.D »

Vivek,

Just continue with your posts at your own speed. Your scenarios would just be the best things to happen to us during these bleak days.

Can somebody else write a scenario where after a terrorist attack like that in Mumbai the GOI actually decides to take things in its own hands and pursues covert action to get the 21 most wanted to India if it sounds like a good idea.

Rgds.
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

Vivek,
Your posts are a great stress buster after the Mumbai attacks. Keep them coming ! It does not matter if its Chinese or Paki butt getting kicked.
Rupesh
BRFite

Post by Rupesh »

Vivek,

Continue at your own pace. We will be waiting...
Ajit.C
BRFite

Post by Ajit.C »

Vivek,

Have been eagerly waiting for your post...

Regds

Ajit
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

REGIONAL COMMAND CENTER, KASHGAR
KASHGAR, SINKIANG
DAY 4 + 0000 HRS

Colonel Feng abruptly stood up from his chair in the command centre when he finished reading the latest update on the aerial situation over Laddakh. The meeting was thoroughly interrupted even as Lt-Gen Chen looked up in surprise towards Feng. The facial signs were clear: trouble.

“What’s has happened, Feng?” Chen asked.
“The Indians have attacked a convoy in south-western Tibet and escaped.”

“Escaped? What the hell was the local Air Defence officer doing?” Chen asked angrily as Feng handed the papers to him.
“Well, he says he shot down three of the Indian bombers, but I will believe it when I see it. The local PLA officer has been saying entirely the opposite, blaming us for not protecting his troops with adequate air cover. He says his losses are in the hundreds of dead and wounded. Several dozen vehicles have been destroyed and the convoy halted in its tracks. He says the enemy bombers escaped without losses from our anti-air guns.” Feng replied back.

“That devil of a officer in charge of the air defense in that sector will answer for this! Have him arrested and replaced with someone more competent from your own staff. We cannot afford these kinds of attacks on our logistical arteries, Feng.” Chen said as he glanced through the report.

“Of course, sir. But there’s another issue which might be more important. We don’t know how many of the Jaguars were involved in the attack.” Feng said, and Chen looked up:
“So? Does that matter? Surely the entire force must have been involved in the attack?”

“Maybe. Maybe not. We had a report earlier that a squadron worth of Jaguars were detected as they entered Tibetan airspace minutes before the attack on the convoy. The eye witness report says they think the numbers of aircraft attacking them were high, but perhaps not high enough.” Feng replied as he walked over to the large digital map on the wall: “Now we also have reports of Indian electronic warfare aircraft attempting to jam our radars in the Aksai Chin AO.”

“So you think this attack on the convoy was diversionary?” Chen asked as he himself got up and walked over to the wall map:
“I am not sure. But it’s possible. If I was in their place I would do the same.” Feng continued.

“But they have been unable to jam the S-300 systems and these sweep the skies around the entire sector. If they do intend to attack this defensive line, we will make them pay for it with their lives. The Aksai Chin S-300 defensive line is our own little version of the iron curtain.

Let the Indians break their heads on it if they want to...”
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

AIRSPACE OVER SOUTH-WESTERN TIBET
DAY 4 + 0010 HRS

Verma looked through the HUD display as they crossed another ridgeline and then dived back down to low altitude. Behind and around him the twelve other Jaguars did the same. The Jaguars were somewhat sluggish at the controls given the heavy load of weapons on board. The return trip would be much smoother...

“FIREFLY-ONE, this is EAGLE-EYE-ONE. BLUE is clear. Repeat BLUE is clear. Proceed to primary. Out.”

Group Captain Verma smiled as he finally received the news he wanted to hear. He switched frequencies:
“FIREFLY-ONE to all FIREFLY elements. Proceed to primary. Look sharp everyone. Here we go.”

Verma pushed the throttle control all the way forward until it clicked into reheat. Even as their leader accelerated ahead into the night sky, the other jaguars also punched in afterburners to increase speed and then turned north...
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

AIRSPACE WEST OF THE L.A.C.
DAY 4 + 0012 HRS

The sixteen SU-30MKIs were now in a line abreast fashion with the line parallel to the orientation of the Aksai Chin S-300 defensive belt. They were carrying a single payload on their centreline pylons with the name of the Chinese BIG-BIRD radars on it. The last such attempt the day before with four aircraft had established the performance of the Chinese S-300s, and the latter had won that round. It was time for round two of Op PHOENIX...

On cue from the Phalcon MC, coordinating the massively elaborate exercise above and beyond the Indian skies, the group leader of the sukhois punched off the centre-line Brahmos and the latter fell off cleanly into the cold skies. Three tons of missile and warhead now went into a trajectory after being released from the carrier aircraft until the ramjet kicked in with a roar and propelled the missile beyond the aircrafts, still losing altitude but in a much more controlled manner until it was barely above the ridgelines near the Galwan River in Laddakh and continuing beyond. Fifteen other Brahmos flew close behind until all of them entered the Chinese controlled airspace streaking towards the southern half of the deployed BIG-BIRD radars.

The entire force of Indian SU-30s now executed a pitch out manoeuvre and raced back into Indian airspace. The group leader was on the R/T informing the Phalcon MC of the clean release of all sixteen missiles but the latter was already seeing the extremely fast moving blips on the radar streaking northeast...
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Singh and Vial, In case you dont know Hari Sud is the mentor of this thread. So he sets the posts and the scenario tempo. OK?

thanks, ramana
vila
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vila »

Ramanna thnx for the info. No offense intended to anyone but sometimes too much of uncalled for advise is unwarranted IMO. And we are not exactly kids here and if we all knew the 'true identities' of people here may be some of the 'experts' would think over once more before commenting. Anyway I rarley post, since I prefer to keep my mouth shut.
Singh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Singh »

ramana wrote:Singh and Vial, In case you dont know Hari Sud is the mentor of this thread. So he sets the posts and the scenario tempo. OK?

thanks, ramana
Thanks for the advice Ramana Sir. Had no intentions of being "asabhay" here.
And Hari Saar no offence meant to you, but at times we tend to reply in the same tone as the previous post.
And I replied to your's saar.
I Gotta be even more careful from now i guess or I guess keep my mouth shut as usual.
Cheer's
aditp
BRFite

Post by aditp »

Hey Vivekji, we all need another adrenaline shot. Where r u bro? Studying the Chinki chimpanzee tactics at Pune for the ground offensive part? :rotfl:
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

AIRSPACE ABOVE THE L.A.C.
DAY 4 + 0012 HRS

Soldiers on both sides of the LAC looked up as the powerful man made thunder rocked the skies over Laddakh. A few hundred feet above the ground the sixteen brahmos missiles tore through the thins air and headed east. They had been picked up minutes after they had been launched but given their total flight tine of around five minutes, that warning period didn’t amount to much unless the other side was waiting for such an attack. The missiles were now two minutes away from impact...
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

CNH-219
NORTH OF LANAK-LA
AKSAI CHIN
DAY 4 + 0013 HRS

The ground shook as the first missile punched out of its vertical launch canister and raced skywards, quickly taking an orientation westwards as perimeter guards strained their necks to see the small streak of light racing across the night sky. The first launch was followed by another from a battery far to the north, visible only through binoculars from the first battery. Then the first battery emptied another canister followed by second launch from the second battery.

And then a third...

The Chinese were prepared for what was coming. It was a game of numbers. Sixteen Indian missiles were streaking into their targets at Mach 2.8. Four of the seven S-300 batteries were allocated to the defence of the southern sector. There were now going into action. Three of them were now going into action. There were three missile canisters per launch vehicle. A good many number of inbounds versus out-bounds. It wasn’t long before the last of the three canisters soon became empty.

Once that happened the vehicle had to be replenished. But with the Brahmos missiles now less than one minute out, the replenishment vehicles were keeping their distance until the attack was over. The Indians had launched their entire salvo of air launched Brahmos missiles in one go, and in response the Chinese had emptied their entire salvo of S-300 missiles to counter them. Now both sides waited and watched as the radar intercepts merged...
Last edited by vivek_ahuja on 10 Dec 2008 11:14, edited 2 times in total.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

AIRSPACE ABOVE THE AKSAI CHIN
DAY 4 + 0014 HRS

The leading Brahmos amongst the incoming wave of Indian missiles received a hit from a intercepting Chinese missiles moments after its launch. It was blown out of the sky in a jarring explosion that ripped the night skies in a massive flash of light and thunder. Then the hits increased. With a much larger number of intercepting missiles, the Chinese weren’t taking any chances. They had suffered enough losses in precious radars in the first round itself. There was to be no repeat performance of the same...

The fifth, six and seventh Brahmos missiles were knocked out in quick succession just moments away from impacting their targets. Their targets were once again the BIG-BIRD radars, or so the initial target vectors were telling the Chinese operators.
Unfortunately for the Indian side, once again they were falling short as they fought through a swarm of Chinese intercepting missiles. Operating at the extreme range of their operational radius, there was little hope of the Brahmos doing any ‘S’ manoeuvres before impact. Any turn executed at above sonic velocities always involved a huge loss of energy. That translated to range losses and huge drag Coupled with the limited range of the Brahmos, and the need to stay out of range of long range systems such as the S-300s, and having to operate at very high altitudes above sea level because of the terrain, the Indian missiles had to fly short, straight and quick to their targets. The intercepting missiles, however, operating barely half a minute downrange of the launch point, could not care less for range. They were executing drastic manoeuvres as their foes attempted to use speed to escape from under them while the former were still gaining their initial momentum.

Many of the Chinese missiles lost out as a result of this. There was no time to respond, and by the time some missiles were beginning their dives, their targets were already behind them. Out of the sixteen launched missiles from the Indian side. Six finally made it through the swarm of S-300 missiles. The skies were now clear for them to dive into the targets of their choice. Across the entire southern Aksai chin region east of Lanak-La, Chinese S-300 crews braced for impact...

It never happened. The detected missile vectors changed as the surviving Brahmos changed flight direction after flying over the final waypoint before the target. They flew past all active BB radar radiation emissions and dived into the launchers of the rearmost S-300 battery behind the front wave of batteries that had been kept in reserve. The word “reserve” is of course to be taken in moderation. The responsibility of this battery was to cover the first echelon batteries when the former were in their reload mode. This was there was no window of vulnerability between reloads. Only after the launchers of the first echelon had gone dry, the battery commander was under orders to respond. Or so the theory went. In reality, for inbound bandits such as the Brahmos, the time difference between forward echelon battery commanders shouting “reloading” and the rear echelon responding was in the negative terms. In other words. it took longer for humans to respond on either sides at that final phase of the Brahmos’s flight than it took for the latter to slam into its intended targets. The theory was designed for use against high subsonic or barely supersonic manned aircrafts or cruise missiles. Not the Brahmos...

The ground shook as the first Brahmos slammed into one of the six launchers and the resulting fireball lighted up the horizon for the Chinese convoys moving along CNH-219. Then the ground shook again as another three launchers were blown out of existence along with their three ready to launch missiles still in the canisters. The one active BB radar was also destroyed just as the fifth launch vehicle was thrown up dozens of feet into the air because of the force of the explosion before coming to rest on the rocks of Laddakh. There was now only one active launcher left for this battery with no active radar to guide it.

In five minutes from the launch of the Brahmos by the Indian SU-30MKI Group Leader to the burning debris of the launchers scattering into the rocks of Laddakh, the window of vulnerability for the Chinese had turned into a window of opportunity for the Indians. The southern half of the Aksai chin was now covered by S-300s whose launchers were loaded with empty canisters and whose replinshment vehicles were only now racing to reload the missiles. Back on board the Phalcon, hundreds of kilometres to the south, the MC marked his watch.

They now had precious few minutes before the window closed again...
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

Vivek saar,

Awesome post really needed some kabooommmm thank you.

Now to more important matter,

the last time I asked you about your book it was sometime in Sept. and I was told Nov.

Now its Dec could you please let us know the ETI, I am in India during late dec to jan and would really like to pick the book up straight away.

Many thanks.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

:mrgreen:

Chicoms deserve this 400%
asbchakri
BRFite

Post by asbchakri »

Man Vivek that was really awesome, why doont u send these scenarios to the top brass of the defense of india. I'm sure they r gonna offer u a job right up on the top (incase u r not already working there :) )

I want more Keep them comming man ! keep them comming :twisted: :twisted:
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

AIRSPACE ABOVE SOUTHEASTERN AKSAI CHIN
DAY 4 + 0012 HRS

“This is FIREFLY-ONE to all FIREFLY elements. We are now entering Indian airspace. RED is with me. GREEN and WHITE: you know what to do. Spread out and make the shots count. We don’t have a second chance on this. It’s us or them. ONE, out.” G/C Verma replied in a matter of fact tone over the R/T even as his eyes never left the HUD display. They were barely above the ridge level in the region and where possible were taking their aircraft down into valleys that were roughly parallel to the flight direction. All of this had been planned beforehand, of course, but all the planning and thinking in the world could not make this a safe flight even if the Chinese were not involved.

The twelve Jaguars in FIREFLY group were operating in three groups of four, under the call signs RED, GREEN and WHITE. BLUE had involved in the diversionary attack over the Demchok based Chinese ground convoys earlier and had returned back into Indian airspace. Now as the twelve aircraft streaked in low towards the highway on the Aksai Chin, they began spreading out and began going after individual targets. Time was of the essence now.

Verma finally showed a moment of surprise to come on his face as the aircraft cleared the last ridgline before his target and entered what was essentially a vast plain area. He could also make out the long dark snake-like convoy of trucks moving along the Chinese highway that cut across the region. And each one of those trucks was loaded with military equipment of one kind or another. The sight in front of Verma’s eyes was one wished for by every Jaguar pilot in the IAF. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how one looked at it, his target was not that vast convoy but rather the small speck of vehicles spread out on the rocky plains before the highway. Each vehicle was one essential part of an S-300 battery. The active launchers could be made out from above by their ‘L’ shapes against the rocky terrain. The vertical part of that ‘L’ was the vertical launch canisters. Verma was relieved to see that none of the vehicles were ‘L’ shaped. But one was on its way there as Verma streaked into the target.

The sky was filling up with ack-ack fire from the point defence batteries all around the S-300 zone perimeter. Most of this stuff was manually operated while the ARC crews on board HELIOS-TWO-SEVEN played hell with the Buk radars through their battle in electronic space. All in all it was a plan coming together for the Indian side as Verma began his first dive into the target area with a big smile on his face...

The Chinese crew inside the launch vehicle whose canisters were now rising to the vertical position realized the futile nature of their effort when they saw the ack-ack fire rising into the night sky to the west. That could only mean one thing. And when they spotted the four Jaguars streaking over the ridge in the moonlight and diving into them, the on board crew were already out in the open and running for their lives. The rain of cluster munitions deployed a few hundred feet above their heads made sure neither they nor their vehicles survived. The mass of small sparks flying off a football sized field announced the end of the first S-300 launch vehicle. As Verma banked to the side to make another pass, he already had to look for target because by this time the other three Jaguars in his group were streaking away from successful bomb drops themselves amidst a hail of anti air gunfire...

Four of the six launchers were now on fire. Two others remained. And then there was that troublesome BB radar hiding out somewhere. And the return fire from the Chinese side was getting heavy. Verma could distinctly hear the thundering “clumps” of ack-ack fire going off near his aircraft as well as see the whitish trails of the man-portable heat seeking missiles racing across the sky. Most of the latter were being fired by panicked and surprised Chinese crews on the ground below and were failing to find targets. But professionals like Verma knew that won’t last forever. For now the missiles were flying off into the mass of flares and chaff being dumped by the Jaguar crews after every few seconds on a bombing run...

As Verma steadied his aircraft after locating the launcher he was after, and moments away from the release point, his aircraft received several hits from ack-ack shrapnel that exploded extremely close to his aircraft. The port wing was completely shredded with several holes visible as Verma again steadied his aircraft after getting the initial jolt. He still continued with his bomb run and only discovered the sluggish control response from the aircraft as he pulled away from a mass of fires raging from yet another burning launcher.

“Damn it! Up you come, you beast!” Verma pulled on the control stick and because of the massively reduced control surfaces on the port wing, most of which had been blown away, the aircraft barely avoided flying into the ridge it was trying to hide behind. And it wasn’t over yet:

“Mayday! Mayday! This is FIREFLY-THREE. I am hit...”

Verma was jerked away from the R/T message he spotted a fast moving white streak moving across the sky a second before it slammed into FIREFLY-THREE, destroying the latter in a massive fireball. Verma’s aircraft received more jolts now as several more rounds slammed into his engine even as he saw the burning debris of FIREFLY-THREE falling out of the sky to the north. This time the rounds hit the fuselage and a whole host of lights began flashing in the cockpit. The starboard engine flamed out a few seconds later. There was no hope of making it back now...

“JC, you hear me?” Verma called back to his WSO, but got no response. Verma tried again: “Damn it, JC, are you receiving me? If you can hear me, eject out now!” again there was no answer.

Verma strained his neck to see the shattered glass of the cockpit behind him and what he could make out as blood against the glass. He jerked forward even as he struggled to control his aircraft...

“God damn it!” He changed frequencies: “Mayday, mayday! This is FIREFLY-ONE. We are hit and going down. I saw again, we are hit and going down. Good luck boys. FIREFLY-ONE out.”

Verma was now fighting to stabilize his aircraft moments before he spotted the other two Jaguars from his group successfully hitting a couple of other important targets including the BB radar in a side by side cluster munitions drop at low level.

A few seconds later he pulled the ejection cord and was punched out of the cockpit by the explosive cartridge and immediately felt the massive cold wind slapping into his body as he cleared the aircraft. Then a second jerk as the parachute deployed and he began his descent towards the ground. He spotted the two remaining Jaguars streaking back westwards after laying waste to what remained of this particular S-300 battery.

The job was done and the Chinese S-300 battery was gone.
Last edited by vivek_ahuja on 10 Dec 2008 11:29, edited 2 times in total.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

EAGLE-EYE-ONE
INDIAN PHALCON OVER SOUTHERN LADDAKH
DAY 4 + 0017 HRS

The radar operators were now plotting the details of what had been hit based on reports from the escaping Jaguar crews. The latter had taken severe losses against the Chinese point defences around the S-300 deployment zones. They had flown into the lion’s mouth and returned...some of them at least. As the scattered reports started flying in regarding launcher kills, the ARC crew to the north had already tagged the reduction of active emissions from three of the four BB radar locations that had been targeted. And that was a kill rate of 75%. Overall as the confusion reduced and the dust settled over the Aksai Chin, it was becoming clear that four of the seven Chinese S-300 batteries in the Aksai Chin had now vanished off the Chinese ORBAT...
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

CHINESE CONTROLLED LADDAKH
DAY 4 + 0125 HRS

Group Captain Verma had not gotten very far once on the ground. He had barely landed on the ground when he had been faced down a barrel of an AK-47 held by a Chinese conscript who was shouting his mouth off in Chinese which Verma could not understand. But the hand signs had been clear. He had known that the angry Chinese soldier wielding the assault rifle in his hands from a few meters away had every intention of blowing his head off. However, the only reason he was now sitting in the back of a truck driving down a winding mountain road to the north was because a PLAAF Major and a PLA Captain had arrived on the scene and brought the standoff to an end.

Verma was handcuffed and was being escorted by half a dozen Chinese soldiers including the Major from the PLAAF as they drove down the roads filled with vehicles preparing for the coming day’s ground offensive. The Major sitting across him spoke some broken Hindi, which surprised Verma highly. He had expected some English from the Chinese officer but he got Hindi. Clearly the officer in front of him was from Intelligence. Verma’s only observations were based on what he was seeing out the back of the truck. In addition, he had been told by the Major with a grin on his face that the only reason he was still alive and why he was being driven to the north was because some people from the PLAAF Air Defence Command, Kashgar were particularly interested in meeting him...
Last edited by vivek_ahuja on 10 Dec 2008 11:30, edited 1 time in total.
Mihir.D
BRFite

Post by Mihir.D »

This was the first thing I read in the morning..... And it made my day.

Thanks a ton, Vivek.
anirbanbanerjee
BRFite -Trainee

Post by anirbanbanerjee »

Thanks a ton Vivek. You made my day.