Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Re: Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

Post by krishnan »

What is the difference between "Minister Of Defence" and "Defence Minister"
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

No difference.

In fact, he is called Raksha Mantri or RM in the official circles or in notesheets.
UPrabhu
BRFite

Post by UPrabhu »

Former RM George kaka is missing, suffering from Alzheimers.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

RayC wrote:No difference.

In fact, he is called Raksha Mantri or RM in the official circles or in notesheets.
Pallam Raju, India's defence minister
OK so he is Minister of State In Ministry of Defence
Natt
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Natt »

negi wrote:No the name patch is on the left side itself (at least in IN) , btw that is Captain Surendra Ahuja the first IN aviator to have been qualified to fly the US T-45C Goshahawk from a USN carrier and again the first IN aviator to fly the Mig-29K.
Here's another picture of a pilot from the same unit. He s wearing the name patch on the 'right' side.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_o_no4M2xEPY/S ... 799739.jpg
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

negi wrote:No the name patch is on the left side itself (at least in IN) , btw that is Captain Surendra Ahuja the first IN aviator to have been qualified to fly the US T-45C Goshahawk from a USN carrier and again the first IN aviator to fly the Mig-29K.
He is also the only Indian pilot to have flown the sole MiG 29-K prototype in fatherland.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

A little question.

After all the hoo-ha about the Germans not selling us the 1500hp engine for the Arjun and DRDO having been tasked with developing a 1500hp engine, how does one explain this?

Power-to-weight ratios of various tanks... (calculated from Engine power and weight figures given on wiki)

M1A2 Abrams - 24.5 hp/t

Leopard 2 - 23.73 hp/t

Challenger 2 - 19.2 hp/t

T-90S - 21.5 hp/t

Arjun Mk1 - 23.93 hp/t (Wiki says 26 but that's obviously wrong)

Seems like Arjun's pwr/weight is better than everything but the Abrams.

So why do we so desperately need a new engine?
Carl_T
BRF Oldie

Post by Carl_T »

When are the first LCA's going to be operational for the IAF/IN? Is it still 2-3 years away?
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

An exclusive collection of work by the world's most acclaimed conflict photographers

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2 ... ooting_war
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Fabulous photographs and the composition of each is marvellous!
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Carl_T wrote:When are the first LCA's going to be operational for the IAF/IN? Is it still 2-3 years away?
IAF will be given its first LCA be this year end itself.
As for navy, IDK.
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

abhishek_sharma wrote:An exclusive collection of work by the world's most acclaimed conflict photographers

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2 ... ooting_war
Incredible, heart wrenching photos. I doubt anyone can go through all the pics without being affected by them
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

Does the SPG use P90s or FN F2000? Wiki lists SPG as a user in pages of both the guns
HarishV
BRFite -Trainee

Post by HarishV »

Gaur wrote:
Carl_T wrote:When are the first LCA's going to be operational for the IAF/IN? Is it still 2-3 years away?
IAF will be given its first LCA be this year end itself.
As for navy, IDK.
One report says the LCA will be inducted into the IAF in March 2011. [Check out BR news section]
The N-LCA proto is still in the works, but as we know it, it will be quite similar, with mods of course to the 2-seater PV that just came out recently.
Carl_T
BRF Oldie

Post by Carl_T »

Could someone please explain why/how/significance of the spelling Yendu/Yindu? Why do we pick a madrasi accent.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Carl_T wrote:Could someone please explain why/how/significance of the spelling Yendu/Yindu? Why do we pick a madrasi accent.
I presume because there are more from the South here than anywhere else! :mrgreen:

A true salute to Democracy!
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

atreya wrote:Does the SPG use P90s or FN F2000? Wiki lists SPG as a user in pages of both the guns
They use both. I have pics showing SPG using both the guns, but they're at home. Will post them later if you want me to.

F2000

http://mediaservice.digitaltoday.in/ind ... 31pic3.jpg

PS 90

http://media.photobucket.com/image/indi ... 443337.jpg
Last edited by Dmurphy on 26 Feb 2010 12:52, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Carl_T wrote:Could someone please explain why/how/significance of the spelling Yendu/Yindu? Why do we pick a madrasi accent.
wrong !
http://sites.google.com/site/brfdiction ... y/y/yindoo
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Nonetheless, childish.

I rather be a Hindu and not any cocktail of nondescript lineage.

I rather be from Kolkata (pronounced Coal-kata) than Kaul-kata (as the TV chap say as if we have rossogollas in our mouth all the time!).

If it is Mumbai and not Mumbaaai, then for Kolkata, it better be Coal-kata and not Kaul-kata.

I am a Baanali (n is nasal) or Bengali and not a Banggaali.

I live in Poshchim Bongo and not Bangaal!

It is as ridiculous as saying what the BBC states Poon-jab for Punjab! Or Cawnpore for Kanpur.
anishns
BRFite

Post by anishns »

Guru log....I've a newbie question

According to this report the ATV is already undergoing sea trials

http://idrw.org/?p=626#more-626

Elsewhere I read that the reactor is not critical yet....so, how is the submarine drawing power....from batteries?
Suresh S
BRFite

Post by Suresh S »

Hi Chetak,

you there man. I just read that many indian doctors among those dead in Kabul. India,s government is redefining the limits of being a weak country.

Our friendly neighbour started the war almost 30 yrs ago but we refuse to counter it instead we apply bandaid solution in kashmir. They kill our poor in bombay bomb blasts we do nothing, they kill our rich in train blasts in bombay we do nothing, they ransack our financial capital on 26/11 we do nothing, they kill our people in Afghanistan we do nothing.

Germany in the 1930,s was able to prepare in 7 yrs militarily for world conquest ( I am not supporting their cause but using it as an exanmple ). We have had enough time to prepare for major wars which are coming in the not distant future but our preparation relative to our enemies is pathetic at best.

A physician,s duty is to save life not take them but today I cry silently in a distant land for my country . India needs a Krishna and Arjun now.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

nachiket wrote:Arjun Mk1 - 23.93 hp/t (Wiki says 26 but that's obviously wrong)

GSQR and all that. Just a guess though.
anirban_aim
BRFite

Post by anirban_aim »

nachiket wrote:A little question.

After all the hoo-ha about the Germans not selling us the 1500hp engine for the Arjun and DRDO having been tasked with developing a 1500hp engine, how does one explain this?

Power-to-weight ratios of various tanks... (calculated from Engine power and weight figures given on wiki)

M1A2 Abrams - 24.5 hp/t

Leopard 2 - 23.73 hp/t

Challenger 2 - 19.2 hp/t

T-90S - 21.5 hp/t

Arjun Mk1 - 23.93 hp/t (Wiki says 26 but that's obviously wrong)

If you are sure of your data. Try posting it in the Armor thread. Might get better responses from the gurus.
If you already have an answer then please do share. I'm eager to learn
anirban_aim
BRFite

Post by anirban_aim »

Jingos,

Can anyone point me to a good video of IPKF OPerations in Srilanka.

Have been trawling Google and Youtube for some time now, without much success.

TIA,

Lal Salaam :mrgreen:
anirban_aim
BRFite

Post by anirban_aim »

Dmurphy wrote:
nachiket wrote:Arjun Mk1 - 23.93 hp/t (Wiki says 26 but that's obviously wrong)

GSQR and all that. Just a guess though.
If you are sure of your data. Try posting it in the Armor thread. Might get better responses from the gurus.
If you already have an answer then please do share. I'm eager to learn
Oops..... Sorry Murphy No offence. Had Missed your post
:oops: :oops:
Kailash
BRFite

Post by Kailash »

What are the difficulties associated with making a howitzer/tank gun? It is materials, design, manufacturing producing in numbers?

Why is India unable to produce a decent gun? what it is that we lack technologically ?

I tried searching for some open source documentation - please share any links that may help. TIA
biswas
BRFite

Post by biswas »

Mmm, what is the helmet in use here? Is it the usual WWII style issued to the Army, or is it the newer ones ala bike helmets?
Carl_T
BRF Oldie

Post by Carl_T »

Are we developing a Nuclear carrier, is it going to be the second IAC?
Natt
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Natt »

Carl_T wrote:Are we developing a Nuclear carrier, is it going to be the second IAC?
Nothing yet about a nuclear powered carrier. It seems that the second IAC will be powered conventionally.
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/site/Story ... chief.html
Although the Naval Chief did state that the second IAC will not be a copy of the 1st but a totally different design (? CATOBAR).
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

nachiket wrote:A little question.

1. Fuel Efficiency.
2. Size & Weight (much smaller).
3. Reliability in use.
4. More powerful - how quickly it is able to respond to changes
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

Kailash wrote:What are the difficulties associated with making a howitzer/tank gun? It is materials, design, manufacturing producing in numbers?

Why is India unable to produce a decent gun? what it is that we lack technologically ?

I tried searching for some open source documentation - please share any links that may help. TIA
With respect to materials, there is a lot of metallurgy tech involved, which isn't always public knowledge. Same with design and manufacturing techniques which are also closely guarded secrets. Notice that even the US military's M1A1 and M1A2 use guns developed by UK's Royal Ordinance and the German company Rheinmetall AG.
Mark Walpole
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Mark Walpole »

Just a noobie question...
In the forseeble future Will it be tactically and strategically (and monetarily) viable to have a navy ship designed from start to be able to carry a large payload of uav's,ucav's,auv's and unamanned surface craft (like the Isreli protector)..A ship containing a moon pool for launching SF teams and auv's with a hangar deck and a a few usv's...
the ship will be structured around the command and control of these assets in protecting/augmenting the defenses of say a CBG..with the speed at which the uav auv etc tech is progressing shouldnt these be used as a force multiplier and lessen the burden on the other ships..

Or is this just a dumb idea lol... :)
Carl_T
BRF Oldie

Post by Carl_T »

No one wants to answer my question so I came here.

In the terrorist attack in Kabul last week when IA officers were killed. Was the presence of the officers/their actions there publicly or semipublicly known?
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

A newbie koshchun. How are soldiers and officers alloted their regiments? For e.g. is it necessary that a Sikh soldier/officer is sent to the Sikh Regiment? Why/why not?
neilmurali
BRFite -Trainee

Post by neilmurali »

atreya wrote:A newbie koshchun. How are soldiers and officers alloted their regiments? For e.g. is it necessary that a Sikh soldier/officer is sent to the Sikh Regiment? Why/why not?

soldiers and officers are required to give say 2 or 3 or even more regiments as their preferences out of these any one may be given.Regarding whether sikh or any other caste or community,it actually dosen't matter much.eg:J.J singh former COAS is a Sikh but was associated with Maratha regiment.I hope this answers your question.
Venu
BRFite

Post by Venu »

My turn to ask a question to gurulog..

If you have observed the latest satellite launch by chiese, the rocket which is carrying the satellite does not leave any plume. Howver, rockets launched by our ISRO leaves a trail of smoke all along its path.

Is it because they are using a latest technology than ISRO?

The same applies for our missiles too..I see all our missiles leaving a lot a smoke trial behind them. The only exception being the Astra missile.

Not complaining. Just asking!!
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

venu, I don't know what you mean by saying that the chinese rockets don't leave smoke or don't have plume. could you post some video or picture to show us what you mean ?

what I found looks different.

UPrabhu
BRFite

Post by UPrabhu »

Its because liquid fuel engines do not leave visible amount of smoke. Look at Prithvi missile launch video, it doesnt leave a smoke trail.
Srivastav
BRFite

Post by Srivastav »

Rahul dada.....venu ji is 400% correct....plij have a look here....i dont see any smoke/plume but just white clouds forming behind the missile providing extra stealth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dZRqkMs ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCeTYbMt ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP21WKxw ... re=related (0:47 second, 1:15 and forward more are full of missile smoke plume pics)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ0Vxfnk ... re=related (0;45 and forward have rbu/Ashm plume trails)

All this was found in 5 mins on youtube.....wonder what can be done if i really google Chinese missile smoke/plume trails.

.. :roll:
Carl_T
BRF Oldie

Post by Carl_T »

If it is a hydrogen engine, then it would just be steam that comes out right?