Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
krishna_krishna
BRFite

Re: AEW&C News & Discussion

Post by krishna_krishna »

Raman with all due respect to you I have been the member of this forum long enough to know how things work here and the reasons why this forum is lately becoming unpopular. I believe a single forum member like you should not and are not the judge of what is good for the forum and what is not. I believe that is why you have admins for. Why do you assume that questions/suggestions are there were for you I just threw an idea in open forum for all the members? So please remove from your mind if you have any doubts that it was for someone like you, the self proclaimed wise guy.

And secondly I also have a suggestion for your keep your suggestions for yourself but let just for argument sake:

The radar of the EL/M 2083 weighs x kg, power requirements, x KW, and range x kms (its weight is classified and so is its range (around 500 miles) and altitude at which it operates ) they come in different sizes with different features for example masa is developing one for its navy which carries payload of 230 kg only. So next time you ask other person an question and give them suggestions I better you first pay visit to your google god.

And what about the second scenario, when destroyer or frigate from cover of the AC carrier deploys such radar and without going into detail I can tell you for sure and you can do research and go to your google/wiki or whoever you want to. It has enough power to keep it deployed for full spectrum of its operational requirements

Let the forum be the judge on what is right and what is wrong. Especially when you yourself have accepted that you are not a subject matter expert on this and you lurk on forums to get knowledge. And before you criticize try to back your criticism with facts and I would be more than happy to be proved wrong.

Request admins to have open ideas flowing on in the forum and criticize members if they think they are ridiculing the form and stop moral police and other members who wants to be self proclaimed admins/policeman of this forum
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Re: Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

Post by Rahul M »

my guess is that both will be credited.
dhiren k
BRFite -Trainee

Re: LCA News and Discussions

Post by dhiren k »

Just an idea..............how suitable it would be to fly the Tejas inverted once entering enemy territory to avoid detection by ground based radars. I think this can work as the weapons will be hidden from radar waves by the composite wings. Once the plane is above target, it can quickly roll, drop bombs, roll back again and fly away before enemy can engage it.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

wow, want an idea sirji
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

Gagan ji,

Engines, engines. 3-D/2-D TV has a major dependency on engines.

Dhiren,

and what would the poor pilot be like. :P Imagine the poor guy staying upside down and doing a 6gs and so on.
Staying upside down has another effect, the lift component. Flights are designed for small amounts of time in reverse.flight. They are not designed to provide sustained lift in reverse. If it is not designed for it, the good old gravity would perform its duty.

What is the release mechanism of your bombs? Do you allow the free and always available gravity to help you or be against you?

By the way the above question must be in newbie dhaaga and not here.
From the initial post, "b> No half-baked suggestions to improve LCA like "add a laser gun"/"merge DRDO with ISRO " etc etc."
Last edited by Virupaksha on 10 Jun 2010 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
sohamn
BRFite

Post by sohamn »

dhiren k wrote:Just an idea..............how suitable it would be to fly the Tejas inverted once entering enemy territory to avoid detection by ground based radars. I think this can work as the weapons will be hidden from radar waves by the composite wings. Once the plane is above target, it can quickly roll, drop bombs, roll back again and fly away before enemy can engage it.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Thats really funny buddy. Why don't you propose the same to IAF? If you are kidding then fine otherwise please note
a) Having composite wings doesn't completely negate radar signature. It just lessens by few degree(depending upon the composition you use). If composite wings would have alone guaranteed stealth then Bangladesh would have also developed stealth fighters.
b) If you have weapons above the wings the radar waves will still hit the weapons stations unless the plane is directly overhead of the radar.
c) Inverted flying for a long time may also lead to disorientation or reduction in cognitive abilities because more blood will be pushed to the brain.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

dhiren ji.. what have you been smoking ?? pl share it with us... try working in your office with your head on the chair and legs up in the air ??
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

dhiren k wrote:Just an idea..............how suitable it would be to fly the Tejas inverted once entering enemy territory to avoid detection by ground based radars. I think this can work as the weapons will be hidden from radar waves by the composite wings. Once the plane is above target, it can quickly roll, drop bombs, roll back again and fly away before enemy can engage it.
Look at the flip side.

If the LCA flies in low he cannot be seen well from ground based radars until too late. But his weapons will be hidden from an AWACS flying above him.So it is win-win to fly the right way up at low altitude.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Staying upside down has another effect, the lift component. Flights are designed for small amounts of time in reverse.flight. They are not designed to provide sustained lift in reverse. If it is not designed for it, the good old gravity would perform its duty.
Re-design the wing? We have enough time to all that kind of stuff? Build creature comforts for the lucky pilot to be upside down or better still design with the canopy under him - let him sit right side up?

Let us just dump the pilot and build UAVs.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

It will have to fly inverted with nose pointing atleast 2 O Clock, which means like this /. It is unsustainable.

But, If tejas can carry load above the wing, invert for bombing and revert it could be good at certain situations.
Carl_T
BRF Oldie

Post by Carl_T »

I nominate this post for the "collection of good posts" dhaaga.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

cross post from LCA thread
dhiren k wrote: Have you ever seen the LCA flying over bangalore, half the time its flying inverted, so I was just thinking that may be HAL+IAF was exploring this idea.
dhiren I actually gave you a serious reply, but my reply seems to have gone to jannat, so let me put it down again, but since I have some more time - I will make it more detailed.

In the first place you assumed that the munitions under the wing of the LCA would be visible only from below. This may be true, but they will be visible to radar not just from below, but from below and to the sides, front and back. This is so well known that until the proliferation of MANPADs and quick reaction AAMs automated anti-aircrfat guns aircraft (such as the Jaguar) were designed o fly so low that they would be nearly invisible to radar for two reasons

1) Radars on the ground are nearly ineffective in seeing objects very close to the ground
2) Ground features like hills, trees and the curvature of the earth will "hide" the low flying aircraft

Because of this "weakness" in radar the AWACS was invented - so that aircraft could be "seen" from above. So if the LCA is stealthy from "above" as you have surmised, it will be spotted by an AWACS from above if it flies upside down. That is why I was saying that perhaps you are right in saying assuming that the wings of the LCA will "shield" the radar signature of the bombs/missiles it carries, but it need not fly upside down. By flying low it will remain stealthy to ground based radar and by flying the right way up, and not upside down it will be stealthy to the eye of an AWACS as well.

I believe you are the first person on BRF to say that an LCA carrying munitions under the wings will be more stealthy from above. I don't know whether you are right or wrong, but you may be right and that is an original thought.

But the inverted flying idea was "too original" :mrgreen:
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Was there ever a thread on ''Indigenization"? Would it be in Mil Tech archives or somewhere else?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Carl_T wrote:
I nominate this post for the "collection of good posts" dhaaga.
There were the "Wright Brothers" and now some "Wrong Brothers". :)
Gyle_S
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Gyle_S »

A newbie question:
Are tenders that foreign defense companies submit in USD?

If yes, then in MRCA contract the real deal is about Indian Rupee vs the Supplier Currency fluctuation.
Even if Euro has fallen 25%. INR has also fallen wrt USD from 1:39 to 1:47.

Maybe foreign vendors will charge us fewer dollars as their currency devalued but these dollars are now more expensive in terms of our rupees (we need to export much more to get the same dollars). Is this right logic?
akshayprabhu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by akshayprabhu »

I am a fan of IAF and currently working in Bangalore. I wanted to know where I can spot our IAF fighters. Either static or during operations.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

akshayprabhu wrote:I am a fan of IAF and currently working in Bangalore. I wanted to know where I can spot our IAF fighters. Either static or during operations.
Get a job/house near HAL airport, Or play golf at KGA regularly. Attend the BR jingos festival (also known as Aero India) due to be held next in Feb 2011. Try HAL museum.
Venu
BRFite

Post by Venu »

Question to the gurus.

I heard that IAF requirements say that LCA needs an AoA of 22* while LCA has clocked on 20*, till last I know.

Has the envelope been opened and the 22* requirement met?
kaushik m
BRFite -Trainee

Post by kaushik m »

^^ shiv sir^^

Can you tell me the dates for aero india 2011?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Well Aero India should be in Feb 2011 - dates not announced yet as far as I know.
akshayprabhu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by akshayprabhu »

shiv wrote:
akshayprabhu wrote:I am a fan of IAF and currently working in Bangalore. I wanted to know where I can spot our IAF fighters. Either static or during operations.
Get a job/house near HAL airport, Or play golf at KGA regularly. Attend the BR jingos festival (also known as Aero India) due to be held next in Feb 2011. Try HAL museum.

Thanks sir. I am currently residing at Kundanhalli. I visited HAL museum d day i reached here. and im waiting for AI 2011. Today i will be roaming around HAL. Lets c wat happens

and just an OT, couple of INAS330 MiG 29s went supersonic over my village in goa and there was a boom twice.. !!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Here is a video of a high Angle of Attack landing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCELX-NgqFQ

The following Brahmos video shows how a flying body (in this case a missile) can be "toppled" by applying a short burst of thrust from a motor whose thrust is directed away from the line of flight and is situated far away from the CG. (That is the same effect as thrust vectoring)

Note the vertical take off. Just watch 3 seconds from 11 sec to 14 sec
A motor fires at right angles to the line of flight to "topple" the missile into a horizontal position. Another motor fires just in time to stop the toppling and keep it horizontal. It is spectacular!! I always love watching this - as well as the explosive charge that blows away the cap over the air intake.

enjoy maadi.. ("make enjoy" in Kannada)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRyOWawaT_U
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

cross post from LCA thread
neerajb wrote:
Shiv ji harrier employs four nozzles for VTOL.
Yes I do know that saar. In fact I saw Harriers in live action (along with Philip) in the first Bangalore Airshow called "Avia-India 1993"

I used "nozzle" in singular to point out that they were situated well placed to support the plane at its center of mass, unlike the Su 30 in which the center of mass acts as a fulcrum around which the plane rotates as the nozzle at the tail end pushes the tail up or down depending on which direction it points. For Su 30 - Nozzle down, tail up-nose down. Nozzle up: tail town-nose up.
neel t
BRFite -Trainee

Post by neel t »

has any1 got any updates on d F INSAS programe??
there sud be a different forum on it...isn't it??
Vril
BRFite

Post by Vril »

noobie ksewchun out of my musharraf

can the Akash SAM system be employed all along the border at distance of 20-25 km from border which covers all air space against fighter crafts, cruise missiles and uavs?? we can have AAD/PAD defending important installations.

the reason being all low lying threats can be neutralised, nay engaged at the border thus collateral damage would be minimal.

just an idea out of you know where...

thanks
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Vril wrote:
can the Akash SAM system be employed all along the border at distance of 20-25 km from border which covers all air space against fighter crafts, cruise missiles and uavs?? we can have AAD/PAD defending important installations.

the reason being all low lying threats can be neutralised, nay engaged at the border thus collateral damage would be minimal.

A few problems with this.

1) Such a huge number of SAMs at the border would be spotted and measures taken to avoid them or neutralise them Even artillery from across the border couls take them out.

2) We would first need to ensure radar coverage of the entire border - which I hope has been done :shock:

3) To cover the entire border we would be wasting large numbers of systems defending deserts, forests and streams. Better to put more missiles around valuable targets rather than waste a whole lot of systems on some wild terrain. Note that if an enemy can creat a gap in defence cover (or more than one gap) they will continue to use that gap and all the other missiles sitting around elsewhere will be useless.
Vril
BRFite

Post by Vril »

Shiv Pahji

thank you for your response.

1. but wouldnt the air defences be taken out by SEAD/DEAD operations or be attempted to be taken out?? they face similar risk be it close to border or installed at important installations.

2. The akash system comes in various radar placement configurations which gives it vast coverage area. so they can be optimally placed to cover entire border range. Like you said we hope there is entire border coverage through radar.

3. I agree more resources would be required but if we mass produce then the cost of the whole system can come down. Plus it will provide our forward troops considerable immunity against aerial threats and also keep the theatre of war closer to the border thus making sure enemy AF has to take that extra risk to attack inland.

4. We can continue to provide air defence cover to important installations via Barak/AAD/PAD systems.
Kailash
BRFite

Post by Kailash »

Improved sonar and submarine stealth
Last summer, University of Illinois at Urbana researchers spoke of a new metamaterial that could be used to, in essence, guide incoming sonar waves around the hull of a submarine.
University of Texas at Dallas researchers have developed a more task-oriented device that may promise not only improved audio cloaking technology, but improved sonar systems in the same fell swoop. The device, composed of some electronics and a thin sheet of multi-walled carbon nanotubes, can be used to generate ultra-low frequency sounds without using large amounts of energy or taking up much additional space or weight.
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

Vril wrote:Shiv Pahji

thank you for your response.

1. but wouldnt the air defences be taken out by SEAD/DEAD operations or be attempted to be taken out?? they face similar risk be it close to border or installed at important installations.

2. The akash system comes in various radar placement configurations which gives it vast coverage area. so they can be optimally placed to cover entire border range. Like you said we hope there is entire border coverage through radar.

3. I agree more resources would be required but if we mass produce then the cost of the whole system can come down. Plus it will provide our forward troops considerable immunity against aerial threats and also keep the theatre of war closer to the border thus making sure enemy AF has to take that extra risk to attack inland.

4. We can continue to provide air defense cover to important installations via Barak/AAD/PAD systems.
SEAD/DEAD missions are in them self very risky and dangerous. SEAD missions are most effective against stationary anti air assets. Akash is a highly mobile platform and it has a wide variety of counter measures to employ against a possible SEAD operation. This forces SEAD engagements to take place relatively closer to the AA system. And it may be quiet tricky as Akash can have its missile batteries situated at a preplanned location and the invading SEAD aircraft can be effectively ambushed.
Please note that Akash(missile) has a range of around 25KM. But the radar has a far higher range. The deployment configuration enables the Akash to be a very potent threat to enemy aircraft. Also, the high mobility of Akash gives a lot of advantage and will be very frustrating for the enemies to get a real-time intelligence on its location enabling greater survivability to the installations.
This makes it clearly a better solution then opting for an entire border radar coverage. Added, there is a possibility that an enemy air attack may overwhelm a particular radar(in case of full border radar coverage) and diverge to different targets from there on.
We can continue to provide air defense cover to important installations via Barak/AAD/PAD systems.
AAD or PAD will not be effective against aircraft due to the high maneuverability of aircraft.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

If the first 18 MRCAs are delivered on Dec' 2013, how many years would it take them to make a difference in a war? I mean numberwise, production, maintenance, tactics & role worked out.
akimalik
BRFite

Program management in DRDO

Post by akimalik »

Just going through the many posts regarding the LCA's development, I would request the "gurus" to help me with the following:
- it appears that one of the problems with the program have been bad project management.
- i bring this up by drawing parallels to the way in which projects are executed in the software industry (although this might be over-simplifying the issue),
- as a project starts, there is a feasibility study,
- following this, the initial set of requirements are formed
- in the s/w industry, this becomes the responsibility of the developer (DRDO) (it is assumed that the end-user (IAF) may have an idea about the end-product, but might not be in a position to identify all the specifics)
- here experts in the field are invaluable, because they can bring in their experience to sit down with the end-user to ask specific questions which help nail down the requirements (hazarding a guess perhaps DRDO did not have such experts when LCA was kicking off?)
- once Requirements are identified, they are agreed and signed-off.
- can it be assumed that crisp requirements were agreed upon?
- based on requirements, estimates are created
- here again if DRDO did not have relevant experts, there are chances of gross-errors.
- post this, delivery dates are predicted, phased releases are accepted and development commences,
- any further changes require re-assessment of the estimates and subsequent updates to the schedule.

Now, could the esteemed seniors here try and comment as to where the problems arose?

Why I ask this question is that we may have had issues with the LCA development, but if the LCA development has been able to teach the DRDO/IAF these lessons in program management and brought about some "experts" then it would help in any subsequent projects (e.g. LCH, LOH, (A)MCA etc).
If such is the case, then I am sanguine about the future, however, if the seniors assess that sufficient learning has not been made by both parties, then we are bound to repeat the mistakes of the past.

p.s. :- on the by, when DRDO gets a project, is there a legal binding to it similar to the manner in which contracts are signed between foreign defence firms? I mean if IAF gives DRDO the task of developing the (A)MCA, would there be a clause in the contract to state that the IAF must buy a minimum number of aircraft once they pass the IAF's requirements (as agreed in the program's requirements). Similarly, can the IAF charge the DRDO for late delivery of weapon systems?
Carl_T
BRF Oldie

Post by Carl_T »

newbie pooch:

What is the point of tanks? Wouldn't the enemy just bomb your tanks if you have a whole bunch of tanks attacking an area?

Also, wouldn't squadrons of UAVs fitted with hellphyrr missiles be good enough to stop enemy tanks instead of buying more tanks of your own?
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ Tanks are employed to compliment the infantry and more importantly for holding the captured territory .
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Carl_T wrote:newbie pooch:

What is the point of tanks? Wouldn't the enemy just bomb your tanks if you have a whole bunch of tanks attacking an area?

Also, wouldn't squadrons of UAVs fitted with hellphyrr missiles be good enough to stop enemy tanks instead of buying more tanks of your own?
Tanks cannot be disabled easily. The reason why tanks still exist in armies is that they tend to have more than half a meter of steel for protection and weapons to take out others at ranges up to 5 km. Rambo with 5 km long arms.

In other words if a whole lot of tanks come rushing at you, unless you happen to have all those aircraft and hellphyrs handy - you are keema. "Bombing tanks" is easier said than done.
What if you have 50 tanks attacking spread out about 50-100 meters from each other. That is at least a kilometer wide and kilometer deep sea of tanks. Which bombs will take out these tanks. Even if you have a 1000 men defending just one tank is enough to get them running unless they are able to defeat that tank. It's not for nothing that the US wanted to use Neutron bombs against Soviet tanks in Europe.

Attacking aircraft have a high risk of being shot down because tanks come with anti aircraft defences as well. And the tanks themselves may have air cover. All in all they remain a potent weapons platform. There are many instances of battle having been "turned" just because of one tank or a handful of tanks.
Samay
BRFite

Post by Samay »

chackojoseph wrote:
It will have to fly inverted with nose pointing atleast 2 O Clock, which means like this /. It is unsustainable.

But, If tejas can carry load above the wing, invert for bombing and revert it could be good at certain situations.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
better take your ac (with vtol), on a bus to lahore and then vertically take off near target site (creepy logic eh,like the russian container missile system )
Arunkumar
BRFite

Post by Arunkumar »

Well heres what the official website of aero india 2011 has written in its 'about us' content. Cant they proof read things before posting for a premiere event like this?

http://www.aeroindia.in/AboutUs.aspx
Aero India 2011, the 8th International Aerospace and Defence Exhibition, WAS organised by the Ministry of Defence in association with the Confederation of Indian Industry, CII, from 11th to 15th February 2011 at Air Force Station Yelahanka, Bengaluru.

Inaugurated by Mr A K Antony, Minister of Defence, Govt. of India and Mr Yeddyurappa, Chief Minister of Karnataka, Mr Rao Inderjeet Singh, Minister of State for Defence Production, Mr Pallam Raju, Minister of State for Defence and Air Chief Marshal Fali Homi Major, PVSM, AVSM, SC VM were also present at the Inaugural Session. The show witnessed an unprecedented growth compared to the LAST show in 2007. 592 exhibitors including 303 from 25 countries, showcased their potential in technologies, products, innovations and aircrafts, over a period of three exclusive business days to the industry, government and overseas delegations.
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

Samay wrote:quote="dhiren k"]Just an idea..............how suitable it would be to fly the Tejas inverted once entering enemy territory to avoid detection by ground based radars. I think this can work as the weapons will be hidden from radar waves by the composite wings. Once the plane is above target, it can quickly roll, drop bombs, roll back again and fly away before enemy can engage it.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
better take your ac (with vtol), on a bus to lahore and then vertically take off near target site (creepy logic eh,like the russian container missile system )[/quote]

God save the pilots....... ;)

And regarding the russian missile... It is a very very capable and deadly strategy.

Imagine the problem when 100's of locations that could house the containers surrounding your forces.

With such a setup neat the mallacca straits, the enemy ships will not dare the risk of passing. And neither can they afford to search or destroy other nations commercial goods.....
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Is testing of spin recovery essential before LCA achieves IOC. Have these tests been done already ? After Rajkumar sir's book i am now waiting for PS' book on Tejas. If Dr Kota as an opening batsman did a splendid job Shri PS as a middle order batsman is doing a decent job.
Bolasani
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Bolasani »

I was just looking at the pictures posted in the Naval Thread of 'Tarkash', and one things bugs me. I always thought that the size and shape of propellers is very secretive. Is that only valid for Submarines? What is the difference. The only interest should be sonar profiles which reason would be applicable to both surface ships and submarines.