Bharat Rakshak Forum Announcement

Hello Everyone,

A warm welcome back to the Bharat Rakshak Forum.

Important Notice: Due to a corruption in the BR forum database we regret to announce that data records relating to some of our registered users have been lost. We estimate approx. 500 user details are deleted.

To ease the process of recreating the user IDs we request members that have previously posted on the BR forums to recognise and identify their posts, once the posts are identified please contact the BRF moderator team by emailing BRF Mod Team with your post details.

The mod team will be able to update your username, email etc. so that the user history can be maintained.

Unfortunately for members that have never posted or have had all their posts deleted i.e. users that have 0 posts, we will be unable to recreate your account hence we request that you re-register again.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
Seetal

International Aerospace Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Re: International Aerospace Discussion

Postby brar_w » 13 Sep 2017 17:40

JayS wrote:A question to brar_w. OT here, may can be taken to Engine thread. Whats the weight of F119..? The weight quoted on wiki ~1800kg, is that including the TVC in it..?? Looks higher to me than expected.

From what I understand, the contracted all up propulsion system includes the TV system and the nozzle. This is how engines are delivered by the OEM as the unique TV nozzles are very much an integral part of the design that P&W furnished to the airframe prime. So yes, the weight estimate (no idea where RAND got it from though) would include it. Both these engines also have IR supression requirements that their legacy counterparts in the teens did not have so those also add to the weight but are necessary given performance requirements sought by the ATF and JSF programs.

I remember us having this conversation earlier. Refer to this forum/thread for additional information. I had earlier provided the picture referenced in the thread (link to which is broken).

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/ ... ic=12335.0

JayS
BRF Oldie

Postby JayS » 13 Sep 2017 17:47

brar_w wrote:
JayS wrote:A question to brar_w. OT here, may can be taken to Engine thread. Whats the weight of F119..? The weight quoted on wiki ~1800kg, is that including the TVC in it..?? Looks higher to me than expected.

From what I understand, the contracted all up propulsion system includes the TV system and the nozzle. This is how engines are delivered by the OEM as the unique TV nozzles are very much an integral part of the design that P&W furnished to the airframe prime. So yes, the weight estimate (no idea where RAND got it from though) would include it.

Hmm. I would expect ~1500kg for the engine alone without the TVC. I always considered F119 to be of T:W ~ 10.5 class. Since its designed for super cruise, that would take a toll on the dry weight and would reduce T:W somewhat (not considering anything related to TVC or LO related weight addition). But it definitely cannot have 1800kg weight for the basic engine.

Kartik
BRF Oldie

Postby Kartik » 14 Sep 2017 23:26

RSAF Typhoon crashes in Yemen, pilot killed

A Saudi warplane has crashed in Yemen’s southern province of Abyan for unknown reasons, killing the pilot onboard.

The Typhoon warplane crashed into a mountain in Al Wade'a district on Wednesday, Yemen’s Saba news agency reported.

The report identified the pilot as Mahna al-Biz.

Last week, a UAE pilot was also killed in another warplane crash in Yemen.

Austin
BRF Oldie

Postby Austin » 14 Sep 2017 23:40

Likely shot down , the f-16 too were shot down , yemen has old but good AD and have shot few GCC aircraft on their territory

JayS
BRF Oldie

Postby JayS » 15 Sep 2017 00:49

brar_w wrote:
I remember us having this conversation earlier. Refer to this forum/thread for additional information. I had earlier provided the picture referenced in the thread (link to which is broken).

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/ ... ic=12335.0

I remember now after looking at that thread. I have tried to confirm what it exactly means when they say:

Pratt points out that the F119 and F135 are the only production engines with stealthy augmentors. Their design eliminates conventional spray bars and flame holders and integrates multi-zone reheat fuel injection into curved vanes that block the line-of-sight to the turbine

But couldn't. I think they mean the AB fuel spray is integrated in the Turbine Exhaust Case. I was actually looking if they have a patent or something on this.

Kartik
BRF Oldie

Postby Kartik » 15 Sep 2017 02:25

From AW&ST

Local Content In Japanese F-35s Behind Target

BEIJING—Early Japanese F-35s are not meeting targets for local content, the government’s Board of Audit says.
A lack of material from the U.S. prevented Mitsubishi Electric and IHI Corp. from supplying any parts for Japan’s first two F-35s, the board found.

The next four, of a total of 42 programmed, may be similarly affected, according to the board’s report, which was cited by local media including the Nikkei, Asahi and Yomiuri newspapers.

Neither the intended Japanese parts nor the lacking U.S. material are identified. Mitsubishi Electric is supposed to supply seven parts for the F-35’s Northrop Grumman APG-81 radar and three for the Lockheed Martin Electro-Optical Targeting System. IHI is due to build 19 parts for the Pratt & Whitney F135 engine.

Japan chose the F-35 in December 2011 to replace F-4 Phantoms. The government ordered the first two in September 2013, at which time the Japanese suppliers were also contracted for their parts by Northrop Grumman and Pratt & Whitney.

Lockheed Martin assembled the first four Japanese F-35s. MHI assembled the fifth and delivered it in June. Since the report has firm conclusions about the content in only the first two aircraft, it was evidently prepared some time ago. The report was issued on Sept. 13.

The three Japanese companies have invested ¥171.6 billion ($1.558 billion) in preparation for their work on the F-35, Nikkei says.

Unit cost has risen to ¥15.7 billion for each of the six aircraft budgeted in fiscal 2016 from ¥9.7 billion each for the four in the fiscal 2012 budget. A major cause was depreciation of the yen.

The Board of Audit notes that the defense ministry’s estimate of F-35A total life cycle cost has risen by 16%, to ¥2.2287 trillion.

The values are in current-year, not constant-year, currency.

Kartik
BRF Oldie

Postby Kartik » 15 Sep 2017 02:35

From AW&ST

18 F/A-18 E/F Super Hornets cleared for Canada, should Canada decide to buy them..the cost is estimated to be potentially as much as $5.2 billion for 18 jets!

Less than a year after the Canadian government started negotiating with Boeing to buy 18 F/A-18 Super Hornets, the U.S. State Department let Congress know on Sept. 11 that it had approved a potential Foreign Military Sale (FMS) of the aircraft.

The package, worth up to $5.2 billion, includes 10 F/A-18E and eight F/A-18F Super Hornets. Both variants will use the F414-GE-400 engine and will be fully equipped with active, electronically scanned array radars, electronic warfare systems, countermeasures, and other equipment.

Canada, which uses 1980s-era CF-18s, has described the Super Hornet as an “interim” choice to maintain its fighter fleet while the nation selects a new CF-X fighter for the Royal Canadian Air Force. The service currently has 57 CF-18A and 20 CF-18B fighters.

The announcement of the interim purchase was a blow to Lockheed Martin. Canada is one of the nine original partner nations on the F-35 program, and the previous government had sought to purchase 65 Joint Strike Fighters. Other contenders for a CF-X contract include the Dassault Rafale, Eurofighter Typhoon and Saab JAS 39 Gripen.

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Postby SaiK » 15 Sep 2017 09:12

U.S. Air Force Cadets 'Invented' a Stealth Fighter

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-bu ... hter-22281

brar_w
BRF Oldie

Postby brar_w » 18 Sep 2017 02:33

Return to “Military Issues & History Forum”