CT & COIN Operations in India: News, Images and Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Re: CT & COIN Operations in India: News, Images and Discussion

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

CT is Counter Terroist.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

^ I am aware of that, Sir. The discussions did happen taking it in consideration. Perhaps the abbreviation can be expanded then? The thought, i think, was to be more forceful/blunt as well as be more search engine friendly.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

I see. The search engine point makes sense. I’ll discuss.
brvarsh
BRFite

Post by brvarsh »

Manish_P wrote:4 terrorists gunned down in Jammu and Kashmir's Kupwara district
Four unidentified terrorists were killed in an encounter with security forces in Kupwara district of Jammu and Kashmir on Tuesday, a defence spokesperson said.

The encounter broke out in Arampora area as security forces launched an operation after terrorists had opened fire on an Army patrol, an Army official said.
Well done lads. Send the scum to hell
The latest seems to be three Army and two Police men too were martyred in dispatching five but all fatalities on our side were from the first day. Must be caught by surprise. Early reports indicated seven pigs to have crossed over.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Oh damn. Sad.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

https://twitter.com/Peacef_Warrior/stat ... 7801157632
A Nationalist
Rashtriya Rifles convoy during an operation in Kashmir. Note the Crew Vehicle Receiver Jammer on a TATA Sumo SUV which are designed to prevent the detonation of IEDs which can be remotely detonated.

Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Manish_P wrote:^ I am aware of that, Sir. The discussions did happen taking it in consideration. Perhaps the abbreviation can be expanded then? The thought, i think, was to be more forceful/blunt as well as be more search engine friendly.
The word "anti terrorism" encompasses "Counter terrorism" and other less direct and non-kinetic aspects.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

8 terrorists killed and 1 surrendered in South Kashmir as per news reports
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

11 by some count

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 563619.cms
11 militants and one civilian killed in Kashmir encounters
Encounter at Dragad has ended while as at Kachdooru village of Shopian operation is still going on as police sources claim bodies of few more militants could be trapped in the house. In both the villages, militants were killed in the houses of police officials, including that of an IPS officer and a constable.

Intense protests are going on near both the spots, and police and paramilitary forces have resorted to heavy shelling and pellet firing to disperse the crowd. One civilian was killed and more than 50 civilians have been injured till now. At least ten youth have received pellet injuries in eyes, while another civilian has bullet injury. 20 injured including the pellet victims have been referred to hospitals in Srinagar.
VKumar
BRFite

Post by VKumar »

Two jawans killed in shopian. TOI
Guddu
BRFite

Post by Guddu »

While I celebrate the killing of the scum and the ratio is in our favor 8:2, overall this is not a desirable state. They lose canon fodder, we lose trained jawans. The only way out of this cycle is to take the war to Pakistan. More surgical strikes, more targeted killings of terrorist leaders are needed. The battlefield must move to Pak. Wonder what is Modiji planning, the dove too has been silent for far too long. This is the right time to take the war to Pak, when Pak is in a severe financial and political crisis. Wonder if the ongoing elections are a factor in our passiveness ?.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

Has the war not been taken to TSP? Have the strikes from TSP within India reduced because of change of heart from TSP?
Guddu
BRFite

Post by Guddu »

To my understanding, apart from the surg strikes, the war has not been taken to Pak. Can you pl. explain what you mean. Yes, we have been responding forcefully, but that is not causing enough pain to change paki behaviour.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Guddu wrote:This is the right time to take the war to Pak, when Pak is in a severe financial and political crisis. Wonder if the ongoing elections are a factor in our passiveness ?.
I disagree with this. They are just now getting to pressure cooker type situation, an attack by India would unite them and release the pressure a bit with them getting some sympathy from the international community. If there is a major attack on us, we should retaliate, but other than that, best to let them simmer and stew for a while. There will be a time to move in for the kill, but it isn't now I think.
Guddu
BRFite

Post by Guddu »

Your argument makes sense for a "normal" country. Pakistan has been on the boil for years and is likely to remain so, until we put them out of misery. Wars unite the population in most cases anway, so by that argument we would never have a reason to go to war. If India is to become a leading world power, we cannot be trifled with by small terrorist states. The USA, Russia, China would never stand for some piddly state needling them endlessly. jhappads need to be give. As Doval has said India punches below its weight, and that is the main problem.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Engage in covert ops, support separatists, and target them economically and via psy-ops. No need for a formal push at this stage. Will just get us entangled in their mess. We just need to supply oil for their existing fires.

They have always been running around with a begging bowl in hand and negotiating with a gun to their head. What is different now is that they have lost their biggest patron, and their potential new patrons aren't as gullible or forgiving as their original patron. Meanwhile their army and jihadis are finally able to mess up the country in a way that they have been prevented from doing so thus far.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Let me take this opportunity to mention the fabulous intel capability we have in Kashmir. Compare the aftermath of a Paki or Turkish COIN ops against ours. The Pakis & Turkish raise entire neighborhood to ground. In our case exactly one house. Surgical and precise to perfection.

Needless to say the source of these information can only be the local Kashmirs. There is a reason why Pakis and their foot soldiers in our country cannot defeat us in Kashmir.
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

nam wrote:Let me take this opportunity to mention the fabulous intel capability we have in Kashmir. Compare the aftermath of a Paki or Turkish COIN ops against ours. The Pakis & Turkish raise raze entire neighborhood to ground. In our case exactly one house. Surgical and precise to perfection.

Needless to say the source of these information can only be the local Kashmirs. There is a reason why Pakis and their foot soldiers in our country cannot defeat us in Kashmir.
I think you meant "raze".

You are correct. A malsic army is allowed to use the scorched earth approach against fellow malsics to gain advantage on the ground because, hey, its an internal matter. They are praised for it. But, heck, a non-malsic army can never dream of it. That's why local supporters come out in droves (with babies and kids in the front, and mardemomeens in the rear) and taunt the non-malsics into making a mistake, with all the cameras out there. Kashmir comes to my mind. IA has to play it very carefully.

In an earlier post, I had posted photos of the TSPA's scorched earth approach to clearing out the trouble makers.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Yes, raze.

Usual autocorrect kicking in.
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

Guddu wrote:While I celebrate the killing of the scum and the ratio is in our favor 8:2, overall this is not a desirable state. They lose canon fodder, we lose trained jawans.
Top commanders, not Canon fodder. Thats the reason why a large amount of protesters gathered to help them.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

CalvinH wrote:
Guddu wrote:While I celebrate the killing of the scum and the ratio is in our favor 8:2, overall this is not a desirable state. They lose canon fodder, we lose trained jawans.
Top commanders, not Canon fodder. Thats the reason why a large amount of protesters gathered to help them.
I think probably what he means is that they are expendable for the Pakistani fauj. There's a steady supply of candidates. Of course, they'll have to spend resources to groom new commanders and slip them across the border, but they are not losing any soldiers or officers in the process. We lost three jawans, leading to three heartbroken, devastated families.
ricky_v
BRFite

Post by ricky_v »

Today's toi reporting three jawans martyred, 13 pigs,4 civvies dead, 50 civvies injured. Lt. Ummer Fayaz's abductees and killers, ahmad malik and rayees thokar amongst the dead, clashes ongoing in the valley between forces and "miscreants".
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

I read this somewhere.

It seems IA is forced to ask for surrender on loud speaker before it is allowed to use force.

No wonder the whole neighborhood gets to know the moment any ops start and with mobile how long does it take to assemble as crowd.

IA has its hands tied in multiple ways.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

nam wrote:Let me take this opportunity to mention the fabulous intel capability we have in Kashmir. Compare the aftermath of a Paki or Turkish COIN ops against ours. The Pakis & Turkish raise entire neighborhood to ground. In our case exactly one house. Surgical and precise to perfection.

Here here , something I had noticed too but never actually summed it up like this.
Well done sir.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Unfortunate we lost 3 men, but with the Pakistan Defense Minister and usual suspects like BBC and Paki media crying, looks like the lose of the 13 men is major blow to BIF forces.

https://pakobserver.net/kashmir-solidar ... on-friday/
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

pankajs wrote:I read this somewhere.

It seems IA is forced to ask for surrender on loud speaker before it is allowed to use force.

No wonder the whole neighborhood gets to know the moment any ops start and with mobile how long does it take to assemble as crowd.

IA has its hands tied in multiple ways.
Even our SOF in the mountains while laying an Ambush have to call out a warning for surrender before engaging. Such are the SOPs.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

rkhanna wrote:
Even our SOF in the mountains while laying an Ambush have to call out a warning for surrender before engaging. Such are the SOPs.
Then what is the point of even employing SF. Isn't the basic premise of special operations based on Speed, Surprise and Violence of action.

And by the way how many muj are even remotely interested in surrender.
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

darshhan wrote:
rkhanna wrote:
Then what is the point of even employing SF. Isn't the basic premise of special operations based on Speed, Surprise and Violence of action.

And by the way how many muj are even remotely interested in surrender.

Almost none surrender - unless they run out of Ammo.

But such is life - This is India.

But despite the stupidity of it the moral high ground in the RoE has to be commended. No other Military force in the history of COIN has had such stringent RoEs.
ParGha
BRFite

Post by ParGha »

Local Kashmiris often surrender, especially if there is a political or IB guarantee of some back room deals. Plenty of Ikhwanis, SPOs and even Territorial Army personnel come from surrendered militants. It is a practical measure.
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

ParGha wrote:Local Kashmiris often surrender, especially if there is a political or IB guarantee of some back room deals. Plenty of Ikhwanis, SPOs and even Territorial Army personnel come from surrendered militants. It is a practical measure.
Sirji - IMO you refer to a different time. Sadly alot fewer these days even with the local radicalized youth. This weeks encounter bears witness.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

rkhanna wrote:
ParGha wrote:Local Kashmiris often surrender, especially if there is a political or IB guarantee of some back room deals. Plenty of Ikhwanis, SPOs and even Territorial Army personnel come from surrendered militants. It is a practical measure.
Sirji - IMO you refer to a different time. Sadly alot fewer these days even with the local radicalized youth. This weeks encounter bears witness.
I think you are discussing two different scenarios here.

One is negotiated surrender/mainstreaming through backchannels (Ikhwanis etc), and the other is coming out with your hands up when surrounded and trapped in a house.

For the former, by all means make it happen. For the latter, just eliminate them without warning or mercy.
tushar_m

Post by tushar_m »

See how Indian Army offers biscuits and water to a terrorist Zabiullah of age 17 resident of Multan, Pakistan who was arrested yesterday in Kupwara, Kashmir. He is associated wd Hafiz Saeed's LeT. #IndianArmy.
@atahasnain53 @majorgauravarya

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/982594601277100033
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

A big operation carried out in Shopian J&K. Saddam Pedar among other top terrorists eliminated.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Shesh Paul VaidVerified account@spvaid
Encounter concluded at Badigam Zainpora Shopian, 5 bodies of terrorists recovered. Well done boys - Army/ CRPF/J&K Police.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

^ Good hunting, lads. Send them all to hell.
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

Hi. is there a website which lists yearly all terrorist encounters by indian army? Thanks.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^ Is this the one where we lost 1 officer+ 3 soldiers?

The latest report in parliament about operation all out tabled mentions 100 terrorists killed for loosing 43 of ours. Seems like a horrendous kill ratio of 2:1 compred to the earlier 5:1 or 6:1

Operation All Out: 100 terrorists, 43 security personnel killed in Jammu and Kashmir in 6 months
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

sum wrote:^ Is this the one where we lost 1 officer+ 3 soldiers?

The latest report in parliament about operation all out tabled mentions 100 terrorists killed for loosing 43 of ours. Seems like a horrendous kill ratio of 2:1 compred to the earlier 5:1 or 6:1

Operation All Out: 100 terrorists, 43 security personnel killed in Jammu and Kashmir in 6 months
Thanks. I remember seeing a site with chronological order of encounters. It would be nice if you guys remember. I am also searching. Will post if found.
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

sum wrote:^ Is this the one where we lost 1 officer+ 3 soldiers?

I wonder how much of this change is a result of Taking TSD offline.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

^^ TSD went offline a loong time back and i really doubt we had kill ratios of 1:1.5 till the Operation All Out. Also, i have no doubt that the big bro of TSD would be in place by now for a while with 4 years of current govt in place

It either means that our forces have been taking severe risks in these six months( since most of KIA were local cannon fodder and not some Pak hardened folks) or are completely devoid of intel and going in blind most places and loosing a few everytime