Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
wig
BRFite
Posts: 1535
Joined: 09 Feb 2009 16:58

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby wig » 19 Oct 2017 12:48

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 141277.cms

a cyber warfare unit to be launched

An IIT Kanpur study shared with Parliament's Committee on Finance this year said attacks from the 'Equation group' — which a WikiLeaks reports said was a clandestine CIA and NSA programme — infected India's telecom and military sectors and research institutes.

The government is finally reacting to the threat with a plan to create a new tri-service agency for cyber warfare. The Defence Cyber Agency will work in coordination with the National Cyber Security Advisor.

ShauryaT
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5217
Joined: 31 Oct 2005 06:06

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby ShauryaT » 26 Nov 2017 21:04

Not India related, but something to keep an eye on. Cyber Operations Tracker

The Digital and Cyberspace Policy program’s cyber operations tracker is a database of the publicly known state-sponsored incidents that have occurred since 2005.

Manish_P
BRFite
Posts: 1527
Joined: 25 Mar 2010 17:34

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby Manish_P » 29 Nov 2017 10:41

Troops asked to get rid of apps to foil espionage bids

The Indian security establishment has asked troops posted along the Line of Actual Control (LAC), the border with China, to delete a number of mobile applications like WeChat, Truecaller, Weibo, UC Browser and UC News from their smartphones, or reformat the devices altogether, to guard against online espionage attempts from across the border.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5697
Joined: 15 Jan 2004 12:31
Location: Planet Earth
Contact:

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby Rakesh » 07 Dec 2017 05:23

Come January, India-US cyber security cooperation to take off
https://theprint.in/2017/12/06/india-us ... -take-off/

US diplomat says the need now is to operationalise the joint policy, and a bilateral meeting in Washington in January will create a roadmap for implementation.

ramana
Forum Moderator
Posts: 50385
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby ramana » 09 Jan 2018 20:34


wig
BRFite
Posts: 1535
Joined: 09 Feb 2009 16:58

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby wig » 12 Mar 2018 09:24

http://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/ ... 85758.html

ISRO computer infected with malware
excerpts.
The trojan malware, known as XtremeRAT, was detected in ISRO servers in December 2017 and was reported to the agency by an Indian researcher. ISRO reportedly responded and resolved the issue only after French researcher Robert Baptiste reached out to the agency on Twitter. “ISRO in their conversation with me informed that that investigated and found a UTM login port that was not mapped internally to any systems.They claimed to have disabled that port for now,” said Baptiste quoting ISRO’s communication with him that Express has seen.

The XtremeRAT malware was found in ISRO’s Telemetry, Tracking and Command Networks (ISTRAC) that provides tracking support for all the satellite and launch vehicle missions of ISRO. “The malware was probably infected on a computer that had access to servers used for Tracking and Command (TTC) services that help launch vehicle lift-off till injection of a satellite. A computer which was probably used to command rocket launches and separation of a satellite. I say ‘probably infected’ because no one knows which computer was used,” said the Indian researcher in December 2017.

The researcher says he stumbled on the ISRO vulnerability while using the search engine Shodan, that lets users find specific types of computers connected to internet using a variety of filters. “If Shodan can be used for searching hacked sites, I thought, why not search for infected servers? I filtered it down to region and ISRO showed up in the scan results,” said the Indian researcher.ISRO has not yet responded to Express’ request for a comment on the issue.

Resercher says search engine Shodan led him to ISRO’s vulnerability. “I did not dig any further as anything beyond that will probably be illegal,” he added. So what is XtremeRAT? It’s a commercially available remote access Trojan (RATs) used by hackers to conduct cyber espionage. There are numerous RATs that are available for free and can be purchased online, mostly from hacker forums or the dark web. The malware allows the hacker to dig deep into a specific target’s servers and databases and even sell off the access rights of their victims’ systems and their data to others.


BRF members who are better informed about malware can (time permitting) perhaps shed more light

kit
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2641
Joined: 13 Jul 2006 18:16

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby kit » 05 May 2018 00:43

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/2/17310870/pentagon-ban-huawei-zte-phones-retail-stores-military-bases


In a Senate testimony this past February, six major US intelligence heads warned that American citizens shouldn’t use Huawei and ZTE products and services. In January, US lawmakers introduced a bill that would ban US government agencies from using the two companies’ phones and equipment.

Manish_P
BRFite
Posts: 1527
Joined: 25 Mar 2010 17:34

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby Manish_P » 17 Sep 2018 12:45

DoT keeps ZTE, Huawei off its 5G use case trial partners list

The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has excluded Huawei and ZTE from its list of companies asked to partner it for trials to develop 5G use cases for India, indicating that New Delhi may well follow the US and Australia in limiting involvement of Chinese telecom equipment makers in the rollout of the next-gen technology.


India’s move comes shortly after both the US and Australia moved to act against Huawei and ZTE amid concerns about possible cyber snooping by China. Last month, Australia barred Huawei and ZTE from its 5G roll-outs. Before that, the US had barred government use of equipment from the two Chinese gear makers, in what is perceived as wider efforts to keep them away from 5G rollouts.

ramana
Forum Moderator
Posts: 50385
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby ramana » 05 Oct 2018 04:06

i noticed the Supermicro Chinese spy chip is not noted yet....

X-Posting...

srin wrote:Wow - supermicro ! The implications are just mind-boggling.

Supermicro is a really big deal when it comes to network appliances and also servers. Two of my old companies used supermicro chassis - one for a network security appliance and another as a datacenter server (Supermicro is way cheaper and customizable for workloads than Dell or HP). I have personally negotiated purchase deals with their distributors here in India.

Assume there are hundreds of thousands of these systems in the most secure places (banks, defense etc) - and ironically to provide network security in some cases - and the possibility that even some of them may be compromised is just really terrible.

I don't know what cybersecurity guidelines are there in India for hardware for Govt, defense and banks, but we need to be really really worried.


ramana
Forum Moderator
Posts: 50385
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby ramana » 05 Oct 2018 04:07

US was investigating for three years i.e. from 2015!!!

Austin
BRF Oldie
Posts: 21907
Joined: 23 Jul 2000 11:31

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby Austin » 05 Oct 2018 10:38

Not surprising the Chinese are doing that US has been doing for years now using CISCO or any US products that Companies/Government uses they have used it to spy.

The only option for countries like india is to use indiginous hardware/routers/FW etc with HW throughly wetted for any bug/backdoor , else China/US/West will spy on us.

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 17463
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby chetak » 05 Oct 2018 12:13

The Big Hack

Image
A tiny chip that was used to infiltrate big US companies



Bloomberg Businessweek has just published in its latest issue the story of how China used a tiny chip to infiltrate America’s top companies[4]. As to how this was accomplished, we need to take a small detour…

It started in 2015. Amazon was looking to acquire a software company Elemental Technologies, a software firm that created software for compressing massive video files and formatting them for different devices (think iPhone, iPad, Android, Laptop etc.). Elemental also supplied to the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and this dovetailed nicely with Amazon’s secure offerings of AWS (Amazon Web Services) for the CIA.

While doing due diligence, AWS hired a third-party to look into the security aspects of Elemental’s software and it uncovered some troubling issues. Elementals’s product ran typically on servers built by a San Jose based company, Super Micro Computer Inc. On the server motherboards, the testers discovered a tiny chip, no more than the size of a grain of rice. This chip was not part of the original design of the motherboard. It was inserted at manufacturing time by the subcontractors of Super Micro in China.

Worse, this chip created a stealth entry for the hackers into any network that connected with these servers. Once connected any data could be lifted out of it. It must be kept in mind that hardware hacks, such as this one are much harder to design and can have devastating consequences. No wonder, US is breathing down China’s neck.
This is not new. Many chip manufacturers who fabricated their silicon in China have for long suspected that a secret piece of silicon was being added in to the die to enable such chips to “call home” when activated. This is even harder to detect as the chip manufacturers only know their design at a high-level language such as VHDL or Verilog.

Conclusion

So how is this going to play out? It is now evident that China has been caught by the US with its hand in the cookie jar. With Trump paranoid about November 2018 elections being handed to the Democrats (after all what goes around, comes around!) the tough talk between the two biggest economies in the world is not going to die down any time soon. Stay tuned.

References:

[1] Mike Pence’s tirade against China went way beyond trade – Oct 4, 2018, Quartz

[2] Pence says US “will not back down” from China’s aggression in fiery speech – Oct 4, 2018, Vox.com

[3] Trump Threatens Tariffs on All Imports From China, Escalating Trade Feud – Sep 7, 2018, New York Times

[4] The Big Hack – Oct 8, 2018, Bloomberg Businessweek

pankajs
BRF Oldie
Posts: 10402
Joined: 13 Aug 2009 20:56

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby pankajs » 05 Oct 2018 12:58

Not to underestimate the threat from China but I have an alternative view to offer ...

The timing is interesting and has to with ratcheting up pressure on China along side the trade related pressure. This is deliberate leak by the US "deep state" and the timing is a conscious choice under the cloak of "Investigative reporting".

Stopping Chinese plan wrt US infiltration could have been achieved without making the whole matter public but here the objective is to prevent Chinese hardware push into other markets than just US. US initiated trade war is not simply about the current trade deficit but about "Made in China 2025" strategic plan in the lead up to its version of global leadership. This latest salvo should also be seen in the same context.

Not bad from Indian perspective both internally and externally. We Indians have a "chalta hai" attitude and such a kick is sometimes needed to bring about behavioral changes.

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 17463
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby chetak » 05 Oct 2018 13:35

pankajs wrote:Not to underestimate the threat from China but I have an alternative view to offer ...

The timing is interesting and has to with ratcheting up pressure on China along side the trade related pressure. This is deliberate leak by the US "deep state" and the timing is a conscious choice under the cloak of "Investigative reporting".

Stopping Chinese plan wrt US infiltration could have been achieved without making the whole matter public but here the objective is to prevent Chinese hardware push into other markets than just US. US initiated trade war is not simply about the current trade deficit but about "Made in China 2025" strategic plan in the lead up to its version of global leadership. This latest salvo should also be seen in the same context.

Not bad from Indian perspective both internally and externally. We Indians have a "chalta hai" attitude and such a kick is sometimes needed to bring about behavioral changes.


The entire trump in the china shop facade is a ruse to lull countries like china into a false sense of security with his "buffoonery". He looks like he is slowly shaping up to be one of the most decisive US presidents in recent memory, crude but very effective in trade situations as well as in protecting ameriki interests.

The hans OBOR/BRI/CPEC push is being very decisively countered and elements of the strategy are slowly being unveiled in some complex sequence. I suspect that even the oil prices are playing their part in this game. The hans are being cornered, this spy chip expose is not just a device to ruin a good bit of their export as well as manufacturing markets, it also spotlights the hans duplicitous nature and his untruthful dealings with other countries.

The US has effectively spiked the hans telecom exports too. 5G worldwide will now play out without much han contribution to the global infrastructure.

China is only now beginning to realize what an ameriki president is actually capable of doing to them without firing a single shot so far. All that tough talk of their vast holdings of US T-bills and how it will keep the amerikis quiet has turned out to be so much hot air.

I also suspect that this spy chip has been in the knowledge of the US for quite some time now and they were waiting for the opportune moment to strike.

prasannasimha
Forum Moderator
Posts: 825
Joined: 15 Aug 2016 00:22

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby prasannasimha » 05 Oct 2018 13:48

Now no one will buy Han telecom routers rtc etc.
As they say a war should be won before the first arrow is shot

pankajs
BRF Oldie
Posts: 10402
Joined: 13 Aug 2009 20:56

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby pankajs » 05 Oct 2018 13:58

My view is that Trump is a baffoon BUT the "deep state" is using him and his campaign rhetoric to push its agenda "wherever it can".

Why do I say that? Just check his reaction to the US Supreme court nominee's confirmation hearing. He was very obviously coached by someone to praise the accuser lady as "courageous" which was fit and proper and per script at the end of her powerful testimony.

But he couldn't suppress his inner "Trump" for long. Pretty soon he was mocking her at one of his rallies so much so that he forced the undecided Republican senators to openly criticize him. I am not going by what CNN or MSNBC reported but that his own party senators had to blast him to protect their "independent" image.

All he had to do was to keep his mouth shut after his initial "presidential" reaction and he would have his nominee in a week's time. He couldn't even hold back for a week!

Trump is a baffoon make no mistake. Ofourse he is convinced that the Global Trade is rigged against America which dovetails nicely with the "deep state" agenda and China is the "first" in the line of fire.

Such folks are dangerous if one is in their line of fire. It is just that his interests are currently aligned with India's on China. Future with such folks is unknown.

pankajs
BRF Oldie
Posts: 10402
Joined: 13 Aug 2009 20:56

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby pankajs » 05 Oct 2018 14:30

Such cocksure buffoons are as dangerous to "friends" as they are to their "enemies".

Bloomberg podcast that covers this story by one of its editors
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/audio/20 ... vp-podcast
Between 15:30 and 21:30

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 17463
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby chetak » 05 Oct 2018 14:48

pankajs wrote:Such cocksure buffoons are as dangerous to "friends" as they are to their "enemies".

Bloomberg podcast that covers this story by one of its editors
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/audio/20 ... vp-podcast
Between 15:30 and 21:30


I am only suggesting that it may be an act to lull competitors.

His actions on the trade front are nothing like those of a buffoon. He targeted a few countries so far. He told them what he wanted. He seems to have got it from them.

At least, he got that stupid mexican president to shut up.

China is more of a medium term project. The objectives seem complex and are clouded in uncertainty, maybe because they are still unfolding.

The hans certainly don't think that trump is a buffoon.

souravB
BRFite
Posts: 198
Joined: 07 Jun 2018 13:52

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby souravB » 05 Oct 2018 15:14

chetak wrote:
pankajs wrote:Not to underestimate the threat from China but I have an alternative view to offer ...

The timing is interesting and has to with ratcheting up pressure on China along side the trade related pressure. This is deliberate leak by the US "deep state" and the timing is a conscious choice under the cloak of "Investigative reporting".

Stopping Chinese plan wrt US infiltration could have been achieved without making the whole matter public but here the objective is to prevent Chinese hardware push into other markets than just US. US initiated trade war is not simply about the current trade deficit but about "Made in China 2025" strategic plan in the lead up to its version of global leadership. This latest salvo should also be seen in the same context.

Not bad from Indian perspective both internally and externally. We Indians have a "chalta hai" attitude and such a kick is sometimes needed to bring about behavioral changes.


The entire trump in the china shop facade is a ruse to lull countries like china into a false sense of security with his "buffoonery". He looks like he is slowly shaping up to be one of the most decisive US presidents in recent memory, crude but very effective in trade situations as well as in protecting ameriki interests.

The hans OBOR/BRI/CPEC push is being very decisively countered and elements of the strategy are slowly being unveiled in some complex sequence. I suspect that even the oil prices are playing their part in this game. The hans are being cornered, this spy chip expose is not just a device to ruin a good bit of their export as well as manufacturing markets, it also spotlights the hans duplicitous nature and his untruthful dealings with other countries.

The US has effectively spiked the hans telecom exports too. 5G worldwide will now play out without much han contribution to the global infrastructure.

China is only now beginning to realize what an ameriki president is actually capable of doing to them without firing a single shot so far. All that tough talk of their vast holdings of US T-bills and how it will keep the amerikis quiet has turned out to be so much hot air.

I also suspect that this spy chip has been in the knowledge of the US for quite some time now and they were waiting for the opportune moment to strike.

As per the report, the spy chip has been on US Intelligence radar from as long as 2012. Obama at the time was very popular and on his second term, the deep state even if they wanted to take action against China wouldn't have been able to control Obama. Let's be clear, a (Trade) war would hurt Unkil as bad as China, but they have that foundation to get up and take control again which China doesn't. In short this would've never fly with a populist leader like Obama. Trump is as much a stooge for the deep stage as IK for Pak.

What does this mean for India
In the Long Term, we need to be able to produce our own electronic components even if it is licensed production. At the very least for the domestic market. Our domestic market is huge and people can get to be Billionaires just by serving our domestic populace alone. Government should have strict laws that says if you are above a certain volume of sales, the components you put in your product should be locally procured.
In the Short Term, Anything that is made in a factory by a machine and coming from China, Taiwan &/or Hong Kong should have such a high tariff that people who import such stuff should go bust. There is a group of some businesses that import products and put a label of made in India to sell to OEMs. Clear guidelines for what constitutes for made in India.

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 17463
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby chetak » 05 Oct 2018 15:32

souravB wrote:
chetak wrote:
The entire trump in the china shop facade is a ruse to lull countries like china into a false sense of security with his "buffoonery". He looks like he is slowly shaping up to be one of the most decisive US presidents in recent memory, crude but very effective in trade situations as well as in protecting ameriki interests.

The hans OBOR/BRI/CPEC push is being very decisively countered and elements of the strategy are slowly being unveiled in some complex sequence. I suspect that even the oil prices are playing their part in this game. The hans are being cornered, this spy chip expose is not just a device to ruin a good bit of their export as well as manufacturing markets, it also spotlights the hans duplicitous nature and his untruthful dealings with other countries.

The US has effectively spiked the hans telecom exports too. 5G worldwide will now play out without much han contribution to the global infrastructure.

China is only now beginning to realize what an ameriki president is actually capable of doing to them without firing a single shot so far. All that tough talk of their vast holdings of US T-bills and how it will keep the amerikis quiet has turned out to be so much hot air.

I also suspect that this spy chip has been in the knowledge of the US for quite some time now and they were waiting for the opportune moment to strike.

As per the report, the spy chip has been on US Intelligence radar from as long as 2012. Obama at the time was very popular and on his second term, the deep state even if they wanted to take action against China wouldn't have been able to control Obama. Let's be clear, a (Trade) war would hurt Unkil as bad as China, but they have that foundation to get up and take control again which China doesn't. In short this would've never fly with a populist leader like Obama. Trump is as much a stooge for the deep stage as IK for Pak.

What does this mean for India
In the Long Term, we need to be able to produce our own electronic components even if it is licensed production. At the very least for the domestic market. Our domestic market is huge and people can get to be Billionaires just by serving our domestic populace alone. Government should have strict laws that says if you are above a certain volume of sales, the components you put in your product should be locally procured.
In the Short Term, Anything that is made in a factory by a machine and coming from China, Taiwan &/or Hong Kong should have such a high tariff that people who import such stuff should go bust. There is a group of some businesses that import products and put a label of made in India to sell to OEMs. Clear guidelines for what constitutes for made in India.


The only thing you missed or didn't care to say was that obama is a closet commie with an ameriki urban naxal mindset.

I have my doubts about the deep state being blamed for every thing. Sure, they are muscling in but this looks like pure trump to me, all the way, with the deep state hanging on.

souravB
BRFite
Posts: 198
Joined: 07 Jun 2018 13:52

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby souravB » 05 Oct 2018 16:14

chetak wrote:
The only thing you missed or didn't care to say was that obama is a closet commie with an ameriki urban naxal mindset.

I have my doubts about the deep state being blamed for every thing. Sure, they are muscling in but this looks like pure trump to me, all the way, with the deep state hanging on.

Pure Trump can only be seen in his rallies. His speeches there is not worth losing our precious keystrokes on and frankly they are just that, speeches with some information sprinkled on that is provided to him. But the policies of this administration, if you look closely, that is all deep state. I'd consider not what Trump says in a rally but what the actual policy is.
But we are going OT, maybe we should move to in US related thread to continue before BRedators come. :D

chola
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2684
Joined: 16 Dec 2002 12:31
Location: USA

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby chola » 05 Oct 2018 17:09

souravB wrote:
chetak wrote:
The entire trump in the china shop facade is a ruse to lull countries like china into a false sense of security with his "buffoonery". He looks like he is slowly shaping up to be one of the most decisive US presidents in recent memory, crude but very effective in trade situations as well as in protecting ameriki interests.

The hans OBOR/BRI/CPEC push is being very decisively countered and elements of the strategy are slowly being unveiled in some complex sequence. I suspect that even the oil prices are playing their part in this game. The hans are being cornered, this spy chip expose is not just a device to ruin a good bit of their export as well as manufacturing markets, it also spotlights the hans duplicitous nature and his untruthful dealings with other countries.

The US has effectively spiked the hans telecom exports too. 5G worldwide will now play out without much han contribution to the global infrastructure.

China is only now beginning to realize what an ameriki president is actually capable of doing to them without firing a single shot so far. All that tough talk of their vast holdings of US T-bills and how it will keep the amerikis quiet has turned out to be so much hot air.

I also suspect that this spy chip has been in the knowledge of the US for quite some time now and they were waiting for the opportune moment to strike.

As per the report, the spy chip has been on US Intelligence radar from as long as 2012. Obama at the time was very popular and on his second term, the deep state even if they wanted to take action against China wouldn't have been able to control Obama. Let's be clear, a (Trade) war would hurt Unkil as bad as China, but they have that foundation to get up and take control again which China doesn't. In short this would've never fly with a populist leader like Obama. Trump is as much a stooge for the deep stage as IK for Pak.

What does this mean for India
In the Long Term, we need to be able to produce our own electronic components even if it is licensed production. At the very least for the domestic market. Our domestic market is huge and people can get to be Billionaires just by serving our domestic populace alone. Government should have strict laws that says if you are above a certain volume of sales, the components you put in your product should be locally procured.
In the Short Term, Anything that is made in a factory by a machine and coming from China, Taiwan &/or Hong Kong should have such a high tariff that people who import such stuff should go bust. There is a group of some businesses that import products and put a label of made in India to sell to OEMs. Clear guidelines for what constitutes for made in India.


EVERY major commercial tech supplier has components made in Cheen. We need to go local eventually. But in the short term we need to follow the US and use its list of vested suppliers.

If we cut off chini components completely now it will destroy nascent industries like mobiles.

This is a dangerous time for all technology firms. That includes ours. Buying the S-400 is not smart. We might need to get off the fence with the US now and go all in as an ally.

prasannasimha
Forum Moderator
Posts: 825
Joined: 15 Aug 2016 00:22

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby prasannasimha » 05 Oct 2018 17:17

We are now making 180 nm Military/Space hardened chip(and even the US used 90 nm military/space grade chips). We may also be moving to 90nm technology.
So in areas where we need to keep absolute security we need to move to better fab technology.

souravB
BRFite
Posts: 198
Joined: 07 Jun 2018 13:52

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby souravB » 05 Oct 2018 19:08

Tariffs in the short term will definitely increase price of electronics, but it will also push component importers to look into other markets and most importantly our own.
For an example, There is a very popular keyboard in India called TVS Bharat keyboard which when launched comprised of original German made Cherry MX keys. Just a few days ago, I came to know that they stopped using Cherry and went for a cheaper Chinese knockoff and had the galls to keep the price same.
This is what plaguing the electronic industry in India. It has already been discussed in depth how Chinese finished products are sold as made in India products.

@Chola ji, coming to your point that high tariff will destroy growth, I can not agree with you. Medium to big businesses will still import from China. Their volume of import will counterbalance the price. But even then they will have a push to look for alternatives which they should have done in the first place. Where it will hit is the small businesses that import LED lamps, dye and even clothes. They would not have the volume to counter against the increased price and have to rely on local sources. Nowadays we have a few businesses that manufacture these things and more businesses that import these things.
We have to realize that we have a huge upperhand with our demography and it is time we act brutish on these issues. After all this is an idea I've taken straight from CPC's handbook.
Also I would like it if we get to go with US in this technological space, like we did for IT. And have a trade agreement with them. But there should be local production here. And I believe we can provide the US an alternative to China in this tech sector.

ramana
Forum Moderator
Posts: 50385
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby ramana » 05 Oct 2018 21:03

Guys please discuss the issue and not get dragged into China, Trump, etc.
Chetak focus.

Austin
BRF Oldie
Posts: 21907
Joined: 23 Jul 2000 11:31

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby Austin » 05 Oct 2018 21:34

prasannasimha wrote:Now no one will buy Han telecom routers rtc etc.
As they say a war should be won before the first arrow is shot


You buy US or European telecom routers you end up as bad as Hans one they all are compromised by their intel

prasannasimha
Forum Moderator
Posts: 825
Joined: 15 Aug 2016 00:22

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby prasannasimha » 05 Oct 2018 21:46

I was referring to the Hans ability to sell

ramana
Forum Moderator
Posts: 50385
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby ramana » 06 Oct 2018 00:42

Folks the rumor is that the motherboards were subcontracted to numerous board makers suppliers who also are suppliers to major equipment vendors. We don't know which supplier made the suspect boards.
The other shoe has not fallen.
Asian please keep the thread useful by discussing the issue at hand.
Chinese merchandise problems etc can be in Econ forum or the Strat forum.

kshirin
BRFite
Posts: 384
Joined: 18 Sep 2006 19:45

Re: Indian Cyber Warfare Discussion

Postby kshirin » 07 Oct 2018 14:33

Manish_P wrote:DoT keeps ZTE, Huawei off its 5G use case trial partners list

The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has excluded Huawei and ZTE from its list of companies asked to partner it for trials to develop 5G use cases for India, indicating that New Delhi may well follow the US and Australia in limiting involvement of Chinese telecom equipment makers in the rollout of the next-gen technology.


India’s move comes shortly after both the US and Australia moved to act against Huawei and ZTE amid concerns about possible cyber snooping by China. Last month, Australia barred Huawei and ZTE from its 5G roll-outs. Before that, the US had barred government use of equipment from the two Chinese gear makers, in what is perceived as wider efforts to keep them away from 5G rollouts.


Super bad news: India invites Huawei to take part in 5G trials
https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 810_1.html

Our telecom companies are beating Chinese companies abroad, why are we not promoting them? Huawei is being pushed out of other markets, while we welcome Huawei with open arms here. This will permanently undermine Indian security, and does not make any sense in an era of decoupling. Chinese telecom, American and Russian arms, ab dil bhi hindustani na rahega!

Apparently we can exercise reciprocity and deny companies from countries which do not permit ours to bid, from bidding here. Why do we not exercise this option in telecom? Other Government departments are doing it.


Return to “Military Issues & History Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: brar_w and 33 guests