Nonlethal weapons

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: Nonlethal weapons

Post by ramana »

I think the skunk odor is a mercapatan.
jai
BRFite

Post by jai »

koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

How about bleaching powder in liquid wax (hot wax at around 140 degrees) dispersed using a cannon technology? Will scald and burn the skin and is effective for protester size of about 500. Chlorine is formed on contact with body fluids such as sweat, tears and mucus, chlorine will also cause skin rash and allergy.
Wax solution maybe dangerous as it can cause blindness of suffocation.
There are other gel based suppression measures but are limited by cost and range.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Cross post from small arms thread
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2010/20101129/nation.htm#10
New Delhi, November 28
This will soon be a reality with trial runs for firing such bullets from Kalashnikov automatic rifles to control mobs having been completed.

A decision to this effect was taken here during a meeting of senior officials of the Ministry of Home Affairs which has constituted a special group for analysing various methods needed for controlling violent crowds with least force in the backdrop of large-scale violence in the Kashmir Valley this summer, official sources said here today.

The sources said the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has conducted the field trials for using the weapons, first of which were introduced in 1947.

They would be seen in action soon particularly in the Valley, they said.

The use of rubber bullets will lessen the risk of fatalities while controlling crowds, the sources said.

The AK-47, a selective-fire, gas-operated 7.62x39mm assault rifle, was first developed in the Soviet Union by Mikhail Kalashnikov. AK-47 stands for Kalashnikov automatic rifle, 1947 model.

The rubber bullets from the AK-47 rifles may not prove fatal if not fired from a close range and if they don't hit a vital organ, the sources said.

Another riot controlling device that has been cleared is the 'dazzler' which uses laser beams to disperse mobs by causing temporary blindness.

These may be handed over to security forces operating in Kashmir-like situations soon, the sources said.

The ‘dazzler’ may help in restricting stone pelters as it can be used towards individuals, rendering them temporarily blind. These devices can be useful in restricting mobs between a range of 50 metres to 250 metres.

Jammu and Kashmir Police, which has been facing allegations of using excessive force for mob control, have got two new weapons in its armoury - pump action and riot control guns - which are non-lethal but can injure a person indulging in violence.

While the pump-action gun, popularly known as "shot gun", has been put to use, the anti-riot gun, which fires plastic bullets, has also been handed over to field units in August this year.
manish.rastogi
BRFite

Post by manish.rastogi »

can we use some special ops stuff bullet thing to make them sleep....get a target acquisition system in a vehicle and it will fire bullets or projectiles....would be able to jail these guys too....maybe would be limited by cost factor....i am just guessing....
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

manish.rastogi wrote:can we use some special ops stuff bullet thing to make them sleep....get a target acquisition system in a vehicle and it will fire bullets or projectiles....would be able to jail these guys too....maybe would be limited by cost factor....i am just guessing....
Manish - no such magic medicine is available. If you search the Bharat Rakshak Monitor archives you will find an article by me and another doctor with a review of the problems of medicines that are supposed to put people to sleep.
manish.rastogi
BRFite

Post by manish.rastogi »

shiv wrote:
manish.rastogi wrote:can we use some special ops stuff bullet thing to make them sleep....get a target acquisition system in a vehicle and it will fire bullets or projectiles....would be able to jail these guys too....maybe would be limited by cost factor....i am just guessing....
Manish - no such magic medicine is available. If you search the Bharat Rakshak Monitor archives you will find an article by me and another doctor with a review of the problems of medicines that are supposed to put people to sleep.

Hmm.....i was reading novel the bourne sanction in which some guys use some bullet or something which highly lowers the blood glucose level of the hero which makes him get unconscious....he uses chocolates to stay awake for some time....i thought that might be possible....so i just suggested!!!

Anyways....could you please direct me to your article....don't really know where and how to look!!!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

BTW time to revive this old thread after the Chinese use of clubs at Gaalwan in 2020 and again in 2022.
Aldonkar
BRFite

Post by Aldonkar »

ramana wrote:BTW time to revive this old thread after the Chinese use of clubs at Gaalwan in 2020 and again in 2022.
One of the reports I read about the recent clash near Tawang is that the Chinese had Tasers.