AMCA News and Discussions

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Re: AMCA News and Discussions

Post by SaiK »

Well.. you can't thrust out more than what the max the design can. We haven't advanced at electronics or software pace in the turbine space. So, we have tech space maturity room of about 20 years or so.

The pioneers are GE, RR, PW and few others. Rest are only copycats. There has to be genuine effort to leap in turbine space. It is a tough niche market that has large time to market only on certified maturity.

There aint any NASA kind outta da box thinkers elsewhere.. so we can be safe on engine choice if it meets thrust requirements by design specs.

I'm sure none is thinking a gyro-based-thruster to experiment here :mrgreen: .
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

The F110 that powers the F16 is longer and has a wider diameter than the F414. However the F22 engine pw119 has similar dimensions as the f110. So it is possible to get to that thrust within those dimensions. Just need the tech.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

nachiket wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that the F414-EPE (110kN) version would be its ultimate development. I don't think there is any room for further growth in that engine. So if we need something better in a future MLU we'll have to look elsewhere.
Technologically there is room for growth with latest tech infusion beyond 116kN. But its not practically feasible. As Brar pointed out, if GE continues with that path it would mean that other promising areas which GE is working and which are the primary focus now, would have missed something essential. Those paths provide more organic growth and thus would take precedence in attracting funding rather than any further development of F414.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

JayS wrote:
nachiket wrote: Technologically there is room for growth with latest tech infusion beyond 116kN. But its not practically feasible. As Brar pointed out, if GE continues with that path it would mean that other promising areas which GE is working and which are the primary focus now, would have missed something essential. Those paths provide more organic growth and thus would take precedence in attracting funding rather than any further development of F414.
It would practically be a new engine entirely just the same dimensions. Not saying it can't be done, but such a comprehensive (and expensive) development is unlikely for reasons you and Brar stated.

That pdf states the ENhanced engine being in the 116kN class. It does not mention the Dry thrust value and how much that has increased over the base F414.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Erj200+ had been selected for turkish 5th gen plane. I presume there is work on that on going. It will be nice if they can push to the larger 80KN dry-125KN wet with 3d nozzles.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Will the EPE 116KN engine be used to LCA-mk2 if GE ever finishes and makes it ready for production? Or Is the current f414 enough for mk2?
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

GE will likely go where the money is. Short term there best bet is the USN which is putting together its next block SH and is placing multi-year developmental awards. Next up would be South Korea which has already selected the F414 as the solution for its future fighter. I would think LCA MKII would be more lucrative for them in the short term. The USN will likely fund engine enhancements on their F414s in the next 2-4 years but I just do not see GE investing company funds to develop anything simply given the focus on their ongoing R&D efforts which along with P&W will determine the future as far as the supply of engines for fast jets to the USAF is concerned. I don't think the TD requires an Enhanced engine. They should most definitely consider the AVEN route for the F414 to get 3D TVC. GE's solution is pretty much at par or superior to any other out there and has been offered with the engine family in the past.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

nachiket wrote:
JayS wrote:
It would practically be a new engine entirely just the same dimensions. Not saying it can't be done, but such a comprehensive (and expensive) development is unlikely for reasons you and Brar stated.

That pdf states the ENhanced engine being in the 116kN class. It does not mention the Dry thrust value and how much that has increased over the base F414.
Well, whether its a completely new engine or not would depend on how much work is needed. I haven't really given it a thought. Since its highly unlikely, lets not spend time on it. This is wrong thread anyway.

I have tried to find the hike in dry thrust, there is no indication anywhere on it. I must have posted couple of posts on this in engine thread like an year ago or two. Only available relevant info it that the max operating TET is hiked by some 64 K.
NachiketM

Post by NachiketM »

Whilst we are discussing the engines for AMCA is there any news on the TVC in development for the AMCA engines... Didn't the DRDO have a tie-up with the Russians for developing the TVC tech and I believe it was in an advanced stage... whatever happened of it ...???

https://defenceupdate.in/indias-indigen ... echnology/
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

NachiketM wrote:Whilst we are discussing the engines for AMCA is there any news on the TVC in development for the AMCA engines... Didn't the DRDO have a tie-up with the Russians for developing the TVC tech and I believe it was in an advanced stage... whatever happened of it ...???

https://defenceupdate.in/indias-indigen ... echnology/
Sounds a lot like Marketing article for Russians, on how Russia is helping AMCA.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Check this : Some details on the AMCA (and Tejas in the background of FGFA Saga)
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Kartik wrote:Just for the sake of looking at it whenever I read this thread again.

Does look beautiful, doesn't she?!
I did a hack job in MS Paint to grab and push the paint around.. someone who is good at can get it better. but heck, I wanted to see how it would look if I push those gaps between modules closer/ Don't point me back to that age-old LCA hack job :rotfl:

25* pitch down, a bit of roll & yaw on left, and gave it a mach 2 push for docking! :twisted:
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

You didn’t push in the radome
The AESA will get wet in the rain :mrgreen:
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

darn!.. let me do that
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

here you go.

Now it has LPI engaged! burst mode ops :lol:

ps: hard to slot in the vertical stabs
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Here, I cleaned up a little bit more. Added BRF chappa.
stabs are in place now.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

SaiK wrote:Here, I cleaned up a little bit more. Added BRF chappa.
stabs are in place now.
Love it already. I hope the designers have been reading Indranil's rants about wing-body blending and do a commendable job.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

way it is unless they include a fat spine, either the fuel load or depth of internal bay will suffer.

unlike the pakfa it is not XXL wide to make up for it.

the f22 represents a balanced mix of size, depth, width imo and still looks great nearly 30 years after IOC!!
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

makes sense...

Fat Spine:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

such teachings work only if we want to correct. :wink:
pravula
BRFite

Post by pravula »

Singha wrote:Image
failure teaches survivors. The rest are fcuked.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Related data for analysis..
but they all lack several key components of a true 5th generation aircraft such as:
  • a low radar cross-section (“stealth”),
  • the capability to fly at supersonic speeds without using afterburners,
  • the ability to carry weapons inside a special weapons bay (as opposed to outside, under its wings or body)
  • an advanced “situational awareness” (network-centric) capability (sensor and external data fusion)
To make a long story short, the difference between 4th and 5th generation aircraft is really huge and requires not one, but several very complex “technological jumps” especially in the integrations of numerous complex systems.
https://thesaker.is/making-sense-of-the ... -in-syria/
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

SaiK wrote:Related data for analysis..
but they all lack several key components of a true 5th generation aircraft such as:
  • a low radar cross-section (“stealth”),
  • the capability to fly at supersonic speeds without using afterburners,
  • the ability to carry weapons inside a special weapons bay (as opposed to outside, under its wings or body)
  • an advanced “situational awareness” (network-centric) capability (sensor and external data fusion)
To make a long story short, the difference between 4th and 5th generation aircraft is really huge and requires not one, but several very complex “technological jumps” especially in the integrations of numerous complex systems.
https://thesaker.is/making-sense-of-the ... -in-syria/
quite true .. i guess you need many jumps from 4.5 to get to true 5th gen .. system wise ..radars to sensor fusion and algorithms .. apart from materials .. dont think its that easy .. Russia and China still havent despite their immense resources
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

having said that even if HALs AMCA is 4.75 it would be Indian Gen 5 ,, better get it from there .. all the more reason for the Tejas mark 2
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

The concept of generation in Aerospace is not a mere marketing gimmick.

There is 4th Gen and there is 5th Gen. Anything in between is more or less a marketing gimmick. This 4+, 4++, 4.5++ and all reminds me of how HH renames their same old Splender and Passion with addition of Pro, Plus, Super and such adjectives.

Also it needs to be remembered that we generally take American concept of 5th Gen as criteria. What matters is organic capability of the design to have those characteristics. Not all those specific characteristics miight be present in the fighter at given point. But can it have it in coming future relatively easily? Similarly a 4th Gen aircraft might be able to have sensor fusion to the level of 5th Gen fighter but can it achieve other characteristics with some upgrades...? Organic capability of a design is what should be looked at when thinking of its generation.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

These things are also tied to one another and the measuring criteria is not the stand along capability of each of these expensive and hard to engineer concepts (such as sensor fusion) but the overall effectiveness of the system as a whole relative to mission objectives (air-defense, strike, CAS, SEAD etc). For example, if you put the sensor fusion capability of the F-22 or F-35 on an F-15 or F-16, it will be not as effective as it is in these aircraft. The other characteristics such as the degree of freedom to get closer to potential targets, supercruise in the case of the F-22, and the ability to network and communicate discreetly and share SA all comes together to enable these things. Pilots who have flown both these capabilities point to the perils of using legacy aircraft metrics to measure the them (F22 or F35) because they enable concepts of operations and TTPs on account of their collective capability that would not be possible with older aircraft, so if you operate them like the previous aircraft you are not making full use of there potential. It is almost like starting with a clean slate and developing fresh CONEMPs.
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

The first two AMCA tech demonstrators are not likely to have many 5G features. They will basically demonstrate the new avionics suite and stealth shaping. Plus India's ability to configure a twin-engine jet.

https://twitter.com/SJha1618/status/970 ... 71553?s=19
Rishi_Tri
BRFite

Post by Rishi_Tri »

ashishvikas wrote:The first two AMCA tech demonstrators are not likely to have many 5G features. They will basically demonstrate the new avionics suite and stealth shaping. Plus India's ability to configure a twin-engine jet.

Very superficial and misleading comment. Stealth shaping is perhaps the biggest struggle with 5th Gen. Avionics being next. Get this done and you have an aircraft that is asymptotically close to being Stealth without actually being one.
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

Rishi_Tri wrote:
ashishvikas wrote:The first two AMCA tech demonstrators are not likely to have many 5G features. They will basically demonstrate the new avionics suite and stealth shaping. Plus India's ability to configure a twin-engine jet.

Very superficial and misleading comment. Stealth shaping is perhaps the biggest struggle with 5th Gen. Avionics being next. Get this done and you have an aircraft that is asymptotically close to being Stealth without actually being one.
Indeed.
https://twitter.com/HaridasKukkur/statu ... 82688?s=19

But that is the core (difficult part) to stealth combat aircraft development?
The packaging for all internal weapon storage and conformal frequency selective antennas of the electronics is the first cut to address the technical aspect.
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

What I was thinking if you get the shape and avionics first the others will follow
Rishi_Tri
BRFite

Post by Rishi_Tri »

Haridas wrote:
Rishi_Tri wrote:
Indeed.
https://twitter.com/HaridasKukkur/statu ... 82688?s=19

But that is the core (difficult part) to stealth combat aircraft development?
The packaging for all internal weapon storage and conformal frequency selective antennas of the electronics is the first cut to address the technical aspect.
++
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

brar_w wrote:These things are also tied to one another and the measuring criteria is not the stand along capability of each of these expensive and hard to engineer concepts (such as sensor fusion) but the overall effectiveness of the system as a whole relative to mission objectives (air-defense, strike, CAS, SEAD etc). For example, if you put the sensor fusion capability of the F-22 or F-35 on an F-15 or F-16, it will be not as effective as it is in these aircraft. The other characteristics such as the degree of freedom to get closer to potential targets, supercruise in the case of the F-22, and the ability to network and communicate discreetly and share SA all comes together to enable these things. Pilots who have flown both these capabilities point to the perils of using legacy aircraft metrics to measure the them (F22 or F35) because they enable concepts of operations and TTPs on account of their collective capability that would not be possible with older aircraft, so if you operate them like the previous aircraft you are not making full use of there potential. It is almost like starting with a clean slate and developing fresh CONEMPs.
Correct. But that's next step for the folks who compare tick mark to tick mark while comparing two fighters. When one sits down and thinks seriously about each of the capabilities and what engineering changes are needed to achieve the,, one can easily arrive at a conclusion that you have mentioned. But sadly very few see it that way. We see people coming up with suggestions like adding internal bays to LCA, every week.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

JayS wrote:But sadly very few see it that way. We see people coming up with suggestions like adding internal bays to LCA, every week.
Even the most well equipped (money and technical knowhow) teams of operators and developers take anywhere from 2 to 4 years to study requirements, develop an AOA, war game to validate some of their assumptions and capabilities before proceeding with a set of concrete requirements that they then go back and forth with industry with to better understand feasibility in terms of cost, capability and schedule. We on the other hand on forums,raid the internet and brochures and can easily mix and match.. ;).
Last edited by brar_w on 05 Mar 2018 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

brar_w wrote:
JayS wrote:But sadly very few see it that way. We see people coming up with suggestions like adding internal bays to LCA, every week.
Even the most well equipped (money and technical knowhow) teams of operators and developers take anywhere from 2 to 4 years to study requirements, develop an AOA, war game to validate some of their assumptions and capabilities before proceeding with a set of concrete requirements that they then go back and forth with industry with to better understand feasibility in terms of cost, capability and schedule. We on the other hand raid the internet and brochures and can easily mix and match.. ;).
We are going OT here, last one from me on this. As one quotes goes, the more you know, the less you talk about it. :wink:
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Japan's Scraps Domestic Development of 5th Generation Stealth Fighter Jet
https://thediplomat.com/2018/03/japans- ... ghter-jet/

Has F-35 production cancelled a domestic industrial product ?
A lesson to learn here.

American F-16s killed the Lavi
American F35 may have killed this too.

However unlike Israel and Japan we are not that close to Amreeka.
We must have more domestic products and more control of our destiny.

Apologies , I know its not AMCA but this is a major event in the aviation industry especially for 5th Gen fighters, hence posting it across multiple threads.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Challenges that lie ahead for us too with our next-gen programs.
brar_w wrote: Not this particular article, but I have posted about the impact of these things on the amount of re-works and touch labor required to complete an aircraft.I was actually surprised that Lockheed was able to deliver all 66 aircraft on time (despite loosing nearly 3 weeks to a productions stop) in 2017 as prior to this each aircraft delivery was delayed by at least 10 days or so... This is also why each and every aircraft that is produced gets its RCS tested prior to delivery to customer. Doing VLO is hard, and if Lockheed, after producing nearly 300 F-35s, 180+ F-22's, and 60+ F117's is still going through the learning curve then one can imagine how challenging the tolerances and requirements are and how closely the customer measures them.
Prasad wrote:I think Brarji posted on this issue earlier.

Stealth features responsible for half of F-35 defects, Lockheed program head states
“That’s something that no other weapon system since the F-22 has had to do, and the F-22 never did it at the rates that we’re trying to do it. Once we get a handle on that, you’re going to see a dramatic reduction in the quality escapes that are made around the LO system,” he said.

In order to reduce the F-35’s signature, the panels making up its airframe must be precisely aligned. As each panel goes through the production process — build, then installation, then joining to other panels — small deviations can make it very difficult to meet standards, even for an experienced mechanic.

Still, he allowed that some human error remains.

“On the other hand, we inadvertently scratch the coating system, and we have to repaint it. Or when the mechanics spray the airplane [with LO coating], not all of it is robotically sprayed. There’s some overspray, and they have to go clean that,” he said.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

And such high level 5th Gen aircraft have to spend longer times in the hanger, after each flight, to get back to their required V/LO spec level.

So they need to be in good numbers if you are going up against even a near peer opponent, in a high intensity war.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

There has been a lot of work done on ruggedizing Low Observables by reducing the reliance on coatings and by baking RAM into the skin of the aircraft. Furthermore, margins have been built in so that you can have LO features degraded yet still meet requirements for signature.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-LpX_1hV40aY/T ... ief+LM.jpg

On the F-22, they went from a signature-based approach to a combat effectiveness based approach after a while and would only restore RCS before it became a hindrance to overall combat effectiveness and this helped boost readiness. But the F-22 is a nearly 30-year-old design so a lot has advanced since then.

The point though is an important one. Much like we went with a couple of radios and a legacy radar, to EO/IR+RF active and passive sensors, multi-band data-links and voice communications, video downlink capability etc..signature reduction measures boost capability and as such much like anything else you have to invest to maintain that advantage. This then leads to a system to measure the RCS over the course of day to day operations and then develop strategies to restore it in a timely and cost-effective fashion. This has also created a role that did not exist with operational squadrons in the past which is one more thing operators must prepare themselves when introducing a LO capability into their fleets. It is also a lot different when you go from a silver bullet fleet (F-22, B-2 for eg.) to a LO design being the staple of your air-force.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

its impossible for a full rcs testing chamber at airbases, these are the province of central OEM labs. they must have developed some portable equipment to do spot checks on any part of the a/c and some test for the coating itself. must be highly classified kit