Military FAQ Thread

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: FAQ Thread

Post by shiv »

koti wrote:Can anyone tell me how I can rename the thread I created.
TIA.
Please post this question in the newbie thread.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

To make thimb nail pics:

1) Down load the picture you want to make a thumb nail out of to your hard drive (File -> Save as)
2) Go to the following web site: http://makeathumbnail.com/
3) In the box for "Choose the file to upload" browse to the file you just saved, select it. The URL should appear in the box
4) Click on "Make a thimbnail"
5) On the page that appears you will get a URL that contains the thumbnail, copy that URL
6) Back on BR, use the originals URL for the URL tag and then the IMG tag for the Thumbnail
7) Click Submit

And you are done.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Free Library link to Mil and Aviation Journals

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Science+a ... al+science
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

ShyamD and others who frequent the Intel thread>...

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Institute ... r/1-p51780
Inder Sharma
BRFite

Re: Military FAQ Thread

Post by Inder Sharma »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wa ... E2%80%9389

In the above link, under the Indo-Pak 65 war entry, Pakis have been listed as victors. can somebody help permanently change that bit of mis-post.
LakshO
BRFite

Post by LakshO »

Since it is the 100th year of beginning of First World War, I want to read more about it. Any suggestions on good books that give a broad overview of the events and progress of the War? Would be nice if the book(s) had maps of various theaters so that I can understand the events better. I am not looking for books that discuss a single siege/front or even strategies of the belligerents.

Thanks for the reply.
LakshO
BRFite

Post by LakshO »

While researching about WW1 on the web, I came across the following titles exclusively on WW1 http://europeanhistory.about.com/od/wor ... /tpww1.htm

The first title listed looks promising, just what I was looking for The First World War by John Keegan. This seems to be well recd & looks affordable.
Saral
BRFite

Post by Saral »

Literary perspective from German pov: http://www.myteacherpages.com/webpages/ ... 20text.pdf
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Is Ravi Rikhye's "Concise World Armies" still.available for sale at orbat dot com? I tried the purchase link but doesn't seem to be working. Also, is it still being updated (if not, when was the most recent update?)

Thanks.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

^Its available on Home Shop 18 for Rs. 7749/-
http://www.homeshop18.com/concise-world ... cid:11394/
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

List of air craft testing facilities in India? Is there one?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

NRao the 2013 MOD report kind of summarizes the list. The pdf is linked in the other thread....
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

LakshO wrote:Since it is the 100th year of beginning of First World War, I want to read more about it. Any suggestions on good books that give a broad overview of the events and progress of the War? Would be nice if the book(s) had maps of various theaters so that I can understand the events better. I am not looking for books that discuss a single siege/front or even strategies of the belligerents.

Thanks for the reply.
May I suggest Frank Furedi's "First World War- Still no end in sight"?

It provides a very good overview and how the present world evolved from WWI.

Basically the modernism and liberalism ushered in by the Industrial Revolution faced a crisis of confidence & led to crash and burn of existing world order.
ranjan.rao
BRFite

Post by ranjan.rao »

Thanks Manish
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Can we have a thread where we can post link to some fine documentaries on socio-political/terrorism/world affairs?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Sure start open in Strat Forum with a broad title.

Sorry for being late in responding.

ramana
kurup
BRFite

Post by kurup »

When clicking a thread , is there any setting to automatically go to the first unread post ??
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Is there anyway we can report the post and make our reasons public,dont want to do it on the same thread, as it runs the risk of derailing the thread and further cause argument on the same thread, thereby defeating the purpose
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Vidur wrote:
YashG wrote:
Brutal demonstration of assymetric warfare. I noticed no chaff too but like someone said pilots didnt know they under crosshair - maws could have helped but do we have maws on indian helicopters?
The kurdish fighter counting sounded just like hindi. I did not know there were language similarities with kurdish. Is it Persian influence in both hindi and kurdish ? Or sanskrit ?
Sir all those languages are related to Sanskrit. A lot of these discussions have taken place in the "Out of India" thread in the Strat forum - although it will be difficult to locate the answer in the midst of all the noise there.

The language of the Zoroastrians was probably Sanskrit despite the bullshit made up by linguists about "Avestan". My reasons for saying this are too long for this thread and reply. The Zoroastian holy book was the "lost" Bhargava Atharva Veda. sanskrit went west with the Zoroastrians and even Darius' "Behistun inscription" in Iran reads like Sanskrit. The 1800 BC Mitanni texts found in Syria are pure Sanskrit.

Our history has been cooked up by racists - let me point you to a recent article I have written:
https://swarajyamag.com/culture/aryans- ... y-scholars

That said I am sorry to note that young people spend 2 years studying for IAS entrance and end up studying the discredited "Aryan Invasion theory" as essential knowledge of History to pass the IAS exam. This needs to change
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

How do you put someone on ignore list?
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

darshhan wrote:How do you put someone on ignore list?
?????
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

darshhan wrote:
darshhan wrote:How do you put someone on ignore list?
?????
This question should be in the Forum feedback thread.

But anyway, go to your User Control Panel->Friends and Foes . Add the user to your "Foes" list and their posts will be hidden.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

nachiket wrote:
darshhan wrote:
?????
This question should be in the Forum feedback thread.

But anyway, go to your User Control Panel->Friends and Foes . Add the user to your "Foes" list and their posts will be hidden.
Nachiket Thanks.
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

Team,

Can you please tell me how to place pictured in any thread ? OR this option is available for few ppl only ?
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

ashishvikas wrote:Team,

Can you please tell me how to place pictured in any thread ? OR this option is available for few ppl only ?
If you mean add a picture to your post, first upload it to an image hosting website and then embed the url in your post inside the IMG tags like this:

[img]image-url[/img]

Or if it is already online and you have a url for the image, use that inside the IMG tags.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Link to Dileep's Spy stories Archive:
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Dileep, The first pdf 'Needle in a Haystack' is incomplete.

The ending and epilogue are not included.
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

Hi,

Want to understand if it is possible to join Indian Military (Army/Navy/AF) if you have prescription glasses? And what is the tolerance level of eye number?

I am looking for combat/non combat officer roles.

Highly appreciate your response. Thanks in advance.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Very good post about Army strategy and tactics:
Arun.prabhu wrote:Before I answer your question, I'll make a brief foray into the principles of warfare. There are nine principles of warfare recognised by NATO: Mass, Objective, Security, Surprise, Maneuver, Offensive, Unity of Effort (aka Unity of Command), Simplicity, and Economy of Force. The Russians include Annihilation (utter destruction of opposing forces as inflicted upon and by them on the Eastern front during WWII a great many times) as a tenth principle. Lt. Col. (retd) Tom Kratman of the US army whom I respect a great deal as one of the brightest minds in the study of The Art of War alive today (there are a great many more equally bright and publicly unknown folks who are exemplary practitioners of The Art) thinks there are two more: Attrition (as opposed to destroying the enemy in one go, you chip away at his strengths in numbers, materiel, etc until he can't fight you any more), and Geometry (or Shape. Basically terrain.)

Your idea of spreading the guns all along the border violates the very first principle. Think about the parable of the sticks. A single stick is broken easily. A bunch of sticks are not so easily broken. You can spread your artillery all you want and congratulate yourself on protecting the border, but the enemy has a say and he is going to attack at a single point (mass) and when he does, as you had spread out your artillery all along the border, you will not have enough to repulse him at that one point where is actually on the offensive. Similarly, you will not have enough artillery mass to soften his defences on that one or few points where you want to go on the offensive.

Yes, concentrating artillery makes it vulnerable, but equipment and men (the latter unfortunately) get used up in war. You protect your artillery, your infantry and everything else as well as you can with air-defence, counter-artillery, mobility (shoot and scoot) and what not, but when the shooting starts, blood is going to be shed and soldiers are going to die.

So there are 12 principles and every military defeat or reverse is a violation of one r more of these 12 principles.
Now go back through the military historical battles thread and think it over.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Link to a Canadian ammo company

http://cainalongbranch.com/Home
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

Typical Head Up Display

nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

That is an F-16 HUD if I'm not mistaken.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

A few posts on OSS and CIA etc.
ramana wrote:For reference.
What is OSS?

https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... /art03.htm
and
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Folks keep getting 404 when they try to get old articles from Bharat Rakshak Monitor old issues.
Whats needed is to add /archives/ after the .com
Eg to get to N^3 opus on Has Pakistan lost its nukes:

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/archives/ ... yanan.html
gives you the article.

Clicking on the link gets you to:
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/MONITOR/I ... yanan.html
resulting in 404.

Hope this helps.
A better way would be to add the extra word to the URL but needs webmaster rights.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Is there any source which can explain how Regiments work in Indian army?
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

ramana wrote:Folks keep getting 404 when they try to get old articles from Bharat Rakshak Monitor old issues.
Whats needed is to add /archives/ after the .com
Eg to get to N^3 opus on Has Pakistan lost its nukes:

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/archives/ ... yanan.html
gives you the article.

Clicking on the link gets you to:
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/MONITOR/I ... yanan.html
resulting in 404.

Hope this helps.
A better way would be to add the extra word to the URL but needs webmaster rights.
aapko sau pranam aur shukriya... ..
I was trying to get them since several days.. and could not get it..

You have made my day today... :)
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Some old US data on Mountain warfare in benign Alps!!!
Note the stress on human performance.

http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt/ ... roops.html

The index has a treasure trove of WWII stuff on Axis powers.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Another good resource on WWII tactics:

http://www.lonesentry.com/intelbulletin ... bject.html

Most haven't changed.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

OSS manual on Purposeful Stupidity

https://www.openculture.com/2022/01/rea ... anual.html

Organizations and Conferences

Insist on doing everything through “channels.” Never permit shortcuts to be taken in order to expedite decisions.
Make “speeches.” Talk as frequently as possible and at great length. Illustrate your “points” with long anecdotes and accounts of personal experiences.
When possible, refer all matters to committees, for “further study and consideration.” Attempt to make the committee as large as possible — never less than five.
Bring up irrelevant issues as frequently as possible.
Haggle over precise wordings of communications, minutes, and resolutions.
Refer back to matters decided upon at the last meeting and attempt to re-open the question of the advisability of that decision.
Advocate “caution.” Be “reasonable” and urge your fellow conferees to be “reasonable” and avoid haste which might result in embarrassment or difficulties later on.

Managers

In making work assignments, always sign out the unimportant jobs first.
See that important jobs are assigned to inefficient workers.
Insist on perfect work in relatively unimportant products; send back for refinishing those which have the least flaw.
To lower morale and with it, production, be pleasant to inefficient workers; give them undeserved promotions.
Hold conferences when there is more critical work to be done.
Multiply the procedures and clearances involved in issuing instructions, pay checks, and so on.
See that three people have to approve everything where one would do.

Employees

Work slowly
Work slowly.
Contrive as many interruptions to your work as you can.
Do your work poorly and blame it on bad tools, machinery, or equipment.
Complain that these things are preventing you from doing your job right.
Never pass on your skill and experience to a new or less skillful worker.