Indian Coast Guard: News & Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
arun
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Coast Guard Discussion

Post by arun »

Vips wrote:L&T hands over offshore patrol vessel to Coast Guard.

……………………{Rest Snipped}…………………
Larsen & Toubro Press Release on the handing over to the Indian Coast Guard the 97 meter,2140 Ton displacement Lead Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV) of a series of seven OPVs to be commissioned as Vikram.

L&T Launches Offshore Patrol Vessel for Indian Coast Guard

Photo's of the Vikram:

jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

Ministry of Defence
INDIAN COAST GUARD SHIP C-161 COMMISSIONED AT PORBANDAR
Posted On: 05 JAN 2018 3:10PM by PIB Ahmedabad
05 Jan 2018, Ahmedabad
Indian Coast Guard Ship C-161 was commissioned today at Porbandar. ICGS C-161 shall be based at Vadinar under the administrative and operational control of the Commander Coast Guard Region (North West). Air Marshal RK Dhir PVSM AVSM VM ADC, Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief, South Western Air Command commissioned the Interceptor Boat built by M/s Bharati Defence and Infrastructure Limited in the presence of Inspector General Rakesh Pal, TM, Commander Coast Guard Region (NW) and other distinguished guests from various Central and State agencies.
The Interceptor Boat C-161 is 27.64 mtrs in length, with a displacement of 107 tons and can achieve max speed of 35 knots. The IB is capable of undertaking multifarious tasks such as surveillance, interdiction, search and rescue and rendering assistance to boats and craft in distress at sea. The boat is commanded by Dy Commandant Gaurav Verma and will be based at Vadinar. As per the basing plan, the Region (North West) shall be placing nine additional ships in the Gujarat region by year 2021.

(Release ID: 1515637) Visitor Counter : 33

Read this release in: Gujarati

arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Priyadarshini Class Fast Patrol Vessel ICGS Bhikhaiji Cama decommissioned:

Indian Coast Guard Ship Bhikhaiji Cama decommissioned
Bob V
BRFite

Post by Bob V »

Are those bow thrusters on that OPV, a new feature on locally designed boats ? I haven't seen anything similar on our bigger boats. Although it's a cold war concept & was successfully used with cruisers then, it is still relevant today
Bob V
BRFite

Post by Bob V »

What was the name of that Russian ship, which had first implemented this concept & was discovered subsequently by the US intelligence ? I can't seem to find any reference of it, on the internet.
Eric Leiderman
BRFite

Post by Eric Leiderman »

Bow thrusters are still very much used, They are efficient once the vessels speed is below 3 knots and can be used effectively once the speed drops to 7 knots. Very helpful in docking ships , a large vessel can turn on a dime using her rudder/s and bow prop/s. no need for tugs to assist during docking.
Also part of the whole package for dynamically positioned ships.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

North Sea ferries use them, hurricane weather.

Our CG OPVs must be designed for ( not fitted) with extra weaponry which can be unstalled swiftly in a crisis.For example looking at the current design, the basic hull/platform,a TAS can be installed at the cut down to the stern, LW ASW TTs., and possibly an MBU launcher at the bows.Some measure of SR anti- missile defence could also be installed.The twin trunking must be changed to a single stack as it opens up space on either beam for eqpt. such as BPDMS systems.The helo deck can extend further aft to cover the TAS and provide enough hangar space for a med. MR helo.If there is enough space between the stack and mast, even SSMs in inclined launchers facing port and starboard could be also added.

In wartime to have in a jiffy 12 or so ASW OPVs would be a great asset to the IN esp. as the greatest challenge to the IN is going to be from the Sino-Pak subs.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Indian Coast Guard gets Make in India boost as ICGS Vikram joins fleet.

n a major success for Prime Minister Narendra Modi's initiative for Make in India in defence sector, country's first defence ship built indigenously in a private sector shipyard ICGS Vikram was commissioned into the Indian Coast Guard and would now be deployed in the Arabian Sea to thwart maritime security threats to the country.

The ship is first of the seven Vikram class of the 98-metre class offshore patrol vessels that will be inducted into the force in the coming years for coastal security and search and rescue roles both within and outside the country.

The results of PM Narendra Modi's Make in India in defence sector have started showing results and I am very happy to see that an indigenously built ship is getting commissioned into the Coast Guard, said MoS for defence Subhash Bhamre.

Defence ministry officials present on the occasion said the contract for the seven ships to be built by the Larsen and Toubro was signed in 2015 after the Modi government came into power and has been built at 30-40 per cent less cost what public sector units had been charging till recently.

The Vikram can travel for at least 5,000 nautical miles without refueling and can help in extending the reach of the force which has been travelling over thousands of nautical miles in recent past for rescue operations in far off areas like it did recently while dousing fire on a merchant ship over 800 miles away from indian shores.

The cost of the ICGS Vikram is close to Rs 190 crore and would be now deployed in Mangalore under the operational and administrative control of the commander, Coast Guard region (west). It would be deployed extensively for exclusive economic zone surveillance and other duties, the release said.

Designed indigenously by Larsen and Toubro Ltd, the OPV is fitted with modern navigation and communication equipment, sensors and machines. Its features include a 30-mm gun and a 12.7-mm gun, integrated platform management system, automated power management system and high-power external firefighting system.

The ship can carry a twin-engine helicopter and four high-speed boats, including two rigid hull inflatable boats for swift boarding operation, search and rescue, law enforcement and maritime patrol.

"It can also carry pollution response equipment to contain oil spill at sea. Its sustenance and reach and modern equipment and system provide it the capability to perform the role of a command platform".

At present, the Coast Guard has a fleet of 134 ships and boats and 62 aircraft, even as 63 ships were at various stages of construction in different shipyards in the country.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

X Posted from the Indian Navy thread to the Military Acquisitions and Indian Coast Guard threads.

Rolls Royce press release announcing agreement with Goa Shipyard Ltd (GSL) for transfer of technology related to localising of engine components, engine assembly, testing, painting and major overhauls of 16-cylinder and 20-cylinder MTU Series 8000 engines :
Rolls-Royce and Goa Shipyard Limited agree to manufacture MTU engines in India

Thursday, 12 April 2018

Goa Shipyard Limited will assemble MTU Series 8000 engines in India
Agreement covers assembly of 16- and 20-cylinder engines in new facility in Goa
Agreement is part of Rolls-Royce’s commitment to “Make in India”

Pune, India

Rolls-Royce and Goa Shipyard Limited (GSL), a premier defence shipbuilding yard in India under the Ministry of Defence, have agreed to cooperate in the local manufacturing of technologically-advanced MTU Series 8000 engines in India. Under the agreement, which was signed today at India’s leading defense trade show Defexpo, the companies will assemble the 16-cylinder and 20-cylinder MTU Series 8000 engines at GSL’s new facility in Goa. The MTU brand is a worldwide leader in large diesel and gas engines and complete propulsion systems and part of Rolls-Royce Power Systems.

The agreement includes transfer of MTU technology related to localising of engine components, engine assembly, testing, painting and major overhauls. MTU Series 8000 engines are the largest and most powerful MTU diesel engines with a power output of up to 10 MW. They are fitted onboard all Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPV) recently constructed or currently under construction in India. This includes eleven Coast Guard OPVs by GSL (six completed and five under construction), five Naval OPVs under construction at Reliance Defence Engineering and seven Coast Guard OPVs by L&T.

RAdm (Retd) Shekhar Mital, NM, Chairman & Managing Director of GSL said: “In line with the thrust on indigenization and ‘Make in India’ initiative of the MoD, Government of India, GSL has been on the forefront for increasing the indigenous content onboard vessels constructed at GSL. Since main diesel engines constitute the heart of a ship and are among the major high value imported equipment items onboard ships, the collaboration will aid to significantly increase the indigenous content onboard ships constructed in India. It will also provide a strategic edge to Indian Defence Sector as know-how and infrastructure for such niche technology will now be available with a PSU Shipyard, which can be gainfully utilised by the Indian Navy and Indian Coast Guard. For some time we have been on the lookout for acquiring such technology of marine propulsion engines and we are thankful to our partners Rolls-Royce and MTU Friedrichshafen for choosing us as collaborator. Under the agreement we will be catering for marine propulsion requirements within the country in the range of 7 to 10 MW. The new facility being created by GSL will also undertake all major overhauls of these engines.

This venture will be a game changer. Plans are in place to progressively increase the indigenous content and with a strong manufacturing base in India, we are confident of achieving significant indigenous content in these engines. Besides creating self-reliance for India, it will usher in new opportunities for the local industry for indigenisation. I’m sure that with favourable Government policies and thrust on indigenisation, this collaboration will be highly successful.”

Praveen Mohan, Director & CEO, MTU India, said: “The agreement with GSL to manufacture MTU’s most-advanced Series 8000 engines in India is a significant milestone and further reinforces our commitment to ‘Make in India.’ We have been working with the Indian defence sector for several decades and our well-proven MTU engines propel and power many vessels of both the Indian Coast Guard and Indian Navy. We are committed to collaborating with our stakeholders to help support the country’s vision of indigenisation and self-reliance.”

MTU Series 8000 engines are the top-selling propulsion engines in their power class for naval vessels. They are also proven in ferries and yachts and have altogether completed over one million operating hours. Series 8000 engines are available in the power range from 7 to 10 MW. They feature low overall operating costs, high power density and environmental compatibility. Common rail fuel injection combined with the electronic engine control system make it possible to achieve fuel consumption levels of less than 200 g/kWh and very low exhaust emissions. Series 8000 engines are certified as marine engines in accordance with all accepted classification standards worldwide. They were also awarded Naval Vessel Rules (NVR) certification by the American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) in 2014 and are subsequently the first advanced technology engines in this power class to meet the stringent requirements of this certification.

Rolls-Royce Press Release
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Praveen Swami on an alleged Indian Coast Guard operation 50 km off the coast of Goa involving among other assets offshore patrol vessels ICGS Samarth and ICGS Shoor to ”intercept a yacht carrying runaway Dubai royal Latifa Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum” who he reports is a daughter of United Arab Emirates Prime Minister and Dubai ruler Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum.

For more on the alleged Nostromo affair read on:

India returned runaway Dubai princess to protect strategic interests : India located the United States-flagged yacht, Nostromo, some 50 km off the coast of Goa
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

ICG could help with mine countermeasures.

ASW may be just too sophisticated.
Philip wrote:North Sea ferries use them, hurricane weather.

Our CG OPVs must be designed for ( not fitted) with extra weaponry which can be unstalled swiftly in a crisis.For example looking at the current design, the basic hull/platform,a TAS can be installed at the cut down to the stern, LW ASW TTs., and possibly an MBU launcher at the bows.Some measure of SR anti- missile defence could also be installed.The twin trunking must be changed to a single stack as it opens up space on either beam for eqpt. such as BPDMS systems.The helo deck can extend further aft to cover the TAS and provide enough hangar space for a med. MR helo.If there is enough space between the stack and mast, even SSMs in inclined launchers facing port and starboard could be also added.

In wartime to have in a jiffy 12 or so ASW OPVs would be a great asset to the IN esp. as the greatest challenge to the IN is going to be from the Sino-Pak subs.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

i like the ICGS Vikram
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

https://www.indiancoastguard.gov.in/Wri ... Brief_.pdf

PRESS BRIEF

MEETING BETWEEN DIRECTOR GENERALS OF INDIAN COAST
GUARD AND PAKISTAN MARITIME SECURITY AGENCY
DG Rajendra Singh, PTM, TM, Director General Indian Coast
Guard is hosting a four member delegation of the Pakistan Maritime
Security Agency (PMSA) led by Rear Admiral Zaka Ur Rehman SI(M),
Director General PMSAin India from27-30 May 18.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Interceptor boat Charlie-439 commissioned in Mumbai.

The Indian Coast Guard (ICG) commissioned an interceptor boat Charlie-439 (C-439) at the Naval Dockyard in Mumbai. The ICGS C-439 is 27.4 metres long with a displacement of 136 tonnes and capable of achieving maximum speed of 45 knots. The boat was commissioned by Additional Director General K Natarajan.
Bob V
BRFite

Post by Bob V »

arun wrote:Praveen Swami on an alleged Indian Coast Guard operation 50 km off the coast of Goa involving among other assets offshore patrol vessels ICGS Samarth and ICGS Shoor to ”intercept a yacht carrying runaway Dubai royal Latifa Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum”
.....The unprecedented March 4 operation involved three Coast Guard ships, including the state-of-the-art offshore patrol vessels Samarth and Shoor, helicopters and a maritime surveillance aircraft.....

.....In an interview to The Helsinki Times, Jauhiaien said “15 men came onboard fully masked, in black clothing, with machine guns and laser sights. It was the most terrifying experience of my life”.....
sounds like a MARCOS op. 8)
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Please be careful while reading the articles by Praveen Swami (of the "Runaway Grandmother" and "small-time smugglers" fame).

This is what Tiina Jauhiaien said int he original interview
“On Sunday 4th March 2018 as night fell we were off the coast of Goa, India when we were attacked by Indian secret service and military, including the Indian Coast Guard.” Tina said, “Around 15 men came onboard fully masked, in armoured black clothing, with machine guns and laser sights. They used what I believe was tear gas. It was the most terrifying experience of my life, The Indian men had their laser sights on me and Latifa and they were telling me they would shoot me and kill me. I was thrown against the floor, stood on and found myself in a pool of blood. (apparently, Herve’s blood as he was severely beaten) At this point, I thought they had killed Hervé and I thought I was next. They told me again and again that they would kill me and held me on the edge of the boat, threatening to push me into the sea. We were cuffed and forced to lie down.”
Doesn't sound like Marcos to me. ICG may have helped locate the boat but it may have been boarded by mercenaries hired by the sheikh.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

How did Tiina Jauhiaien know that they were “Indian secret service and military, including the Indian Coast Guard.”??

As per her admission, they were clad in all black with seemingly no markings. They did not identify themselves.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

The ships would have their livery right and they would have hailed them for boarding. Since these men were from Indian ships its logical for them that the men might also be Indian.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

If it were a classified operation, wouldn't they use unmarked, inconspicuous boats? I mean who advertises oneself in covert operations?

If it was a regular op, then Tiina Jauhiaien's account may just be highly embellished.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Kashi,
There is a distinction between classified and black ops. Even a normal operation could be classified, for eg the movement of a submarine. The submarine still bears the colours and the pennant of the Indian Navy while the surgical strikes to eliminate a terrorist leader would be black ops since they are done with the intention to leave no clue behind as to who did it.

So my belief is that in this particular case, we asked to assist and we located the boat and helped the boarding party to get onboard, which would be done using regular operational vessels while the boarding party itself may have been a Saudi spec ops unit or hired guns by the sheikh acting under official capacity.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Bala Vignesh wrote:Kashi,
There is a distinction between classified and black ops. Even a normal operation could be classified, for eg the movement of a submarine. The submarine still bears the colours and the pennant of the Indian Navy while the surgical strikes to eliminate a terrorist leader would be black ops since they are done with the intention to leave no clue behind as to who did it.

So my belief is that in this particular case, we asked to assist and we located the boat and helped the boarding party to get onboard, which would be done using regular operational vessels while the boarding party itself may have been a Saudi spec ops unit or hired guns by the sheikh acting under official capacity.
I am guessing here like you, but I doubt IN or ICG will be party to an op where they provide only the logistics leaving the actual hit outside your control.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Vizag: Fast Patrol Vessel ICGS Rashmoni commissioned.

India Coast Guard (ICG) formally commissioned the Fast Patrol Vessel ICGS Rashmoni at Visakhapatnam on Monday. ICG Additional Director General VSR Murty formally commissioned the Vessel.

The 346-tonne ship with 51 meters length, 8.36 meters width has been named after the legendary Rani Rashmoni of Kolkata. It has been designed and built by the Hindustan Shipyard Limited (HSL) indigenously and is equipped with the most advanced and sophisticated navigational and communication sensors and equipment.

ICGS Rashmoni is propelled by three MTU 40000 series diesel engines of 2720 KW capacity each coupled with three Rolls Royce Kamewa jets and can achieve a maximum speeds of 34 knots (63kmph).

“This project, in fact, has been challenging for the shipyard wherein it encountered tremendous obstacles in dealing with tonnage of the vessel and the resultant speed,” Murty said while addressing a meeting after commissioning. He complemented the Shipyard team for its remarkable efforts towards overall weight reduction and achieving contractual speed of 34 knots.He said the ship is designed to perform multifarious tasks such as surveillance, interdiction, search and rescue, anti-smuggling and anti-poaching operations.

The ADG announced that the Coast Guard would add five more ships to the coast of Andhra Pradesh to be placed at Vizag, Kakinada and Krishnapatnam in the next two years.

He added that the Coast Guard plays an important role in protecting the wide ranging maritime interests of the nation; particularly after the 26/11 Mumbai attacks. “Consequently concerted efforts have been made towards capacity building to fulfill the greater responsibility of coastal security,” the ADG said. “Today, Indian Coast Guard is not only safeguarding our national maritime interests but has also emerged as a credible agency in combating maritime crimes, conducting maritime search and rescue, pollution response at sea and also inter-operability of men and platform in testing times”, Murty said.

India Coast Guard has singed MoUs with seven countries for strengthening regional cooperation in maritime safety and environmental protection. A MoU was signed last month for cooperation on response to oil and chemical pollution in South Asia Sea region covering India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Maldives.

The ICG is planning to set up an Air Enclave at Vizag to enhance air surveillance. A jetty will also be built at Kakinada in collaboration with the Indian Navy. Around 60 more radar stations will be established on the coastline of AP under phase – II of Coastal Surveillance Network to ensure near-gap-free electronic surveillance.

ICGS Rani Rashmoni has four officers and 34 men and is commanded by Commandant Navdeep Safaya. The ship will be based at Visakhapatnam under the administrative and operational control of the commander, Coast Guard district administration-6, AP.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Vips wrote:Interceptor boat Charlie-439 commissioned in Mumbai.

The Indian Coast Guard (ICG) commissioned an interceptor boat Charlie-439 (C-439) at the Naval Dockyard in Mumbai. The ICGS C-439 is 27.4 metres long with a displacement of 136 tonnes and capable of achieving maximum speed of 45 knots. The boat was commissioned by Additional Director General K Natarajan.

Indian Coast Guard interceptor boat ICGS C-440 commissioned

Jun 14, 2018, 19:11 IST

Inspector General Rajan Bargotra, Commander Coast Guard Region (East), commissioned an interceptor boat -- Indian Coast Guard Ship C-440 – in Chennai on Thursday.

The induction of this ship, which is the 40th in a series of 54 interceptor boats being built by L&T, is a part of the ongoing efforts of the Coast Guard to strengthen coastal security.
maz
Webmaster BR

Post by maz »

It took HSL and subcontractor Nest Bldrs & Engrs almost 8 years 8 months to complete Rani Rashmoni! Overall, the project ran about 9 years late.

http://www.janes.com/article/81219/indi ... -class-ipv
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

https://twitter.com/writetake/status/10 ... 4264665093
#HAL says 1st green helicopter earmarked for @IndiaCoastGuard has completed its build with installation of basic systems and had a successful maiden ground run in #Bangalore today. HAL has a pact with ICG for Performance Based Logistics support as well.

https://twitter.com/writetake/status/10 ... 3932763136
A green copter is a basic helicopter on which #HAL will make modification as per the User request. In this case, #ICG wants 19 specific modifications to be done. Hope it's clear.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Folks who is the expert on Indian Coast Guard here?

Have a few questions

Is there a document that defines the ICG roles and responsibilities?
What is the linkage between ICG and IN?

Is ICG a maritime BSF and under MHA?
What is peace time role for CIG?
War time role?

Does ICG participate in joint maritime exercises with IN?

Thanks for the feedback.
sohamn
BRFite

Post by sohamn »

not an expert, but I know for a fact that ICG is under the ministry of defence and almost always headed by a 3-star admiral. Also, ICG does a lot of exercises and intelligence sharing with the IN. So, it is not a marine BSF.

rest can be answered by an expert.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

ramana wrote:Is there a document that defines the ICG roles and responsibilities?
Very much so. The Indian Coast Guard Act of 1978.

https://www.indiancoastguard.gov.in/Wri ... azette.pdf
ramana wrote:What is the linkage between ICG and IN?
Depends on vessels, operational role, personnel.

On Personnel, most of the Directors of the ICG have been senior admirals of the Indian Navy. Admiral Sureesh Mehta (Retd) was one, who after this assignment as Director of ICG, became CNS at a later date. But a few have risen through the ICG ranks to lead the force. The current Director - Rajendra Singh - has never served a day in the Indian Navy. The present ICG is largely staffed from within and not from the Navy. You join the service, just like you would join the Army, Navy or Air Force and you earn your next rank, just as the same. I could be wrong on this, but I have been told that it is not as a steep pyramid to reach senior posts unlike the other services.

List of Indian Coast Guard directors general
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... rs_general

On operational role, the duties are night and day compared to the IN, with the latter undertaking blue water ops. The ICG is also responsible for pollution control at sea, enforcing maritime law and keeping tabs on India’s EEZ.

On vessels, there are similarities. The Samar Class OPVs are sister ships to the Sukanya Class patrol vessels in the India Navy. But the fleet largely serves the role of patrol and rescue. Most equipment aboard these vessels serve that purpose. Same with the air fleet consisting of Do 228s, HAL Chetaks and HAL Dhruvs.
ramana wrote:Is ICG a maritime BSF and under MHA?
What is peace time role for CIG? War time role?
ICG comes under the Ministry of Defence and not the Ministry of Home Affairs, under which the BSF lives.

In peace time, the ICG undertakes maritime patrol, search and rescue, protecting India's EEZ, prevent smuggling & loot, piracy on the seas, enforce maritime law, etc. This is what comes to mind.

The wiki page below has a good list of the roles undertaken by the Indian Coast Guard today. Click on link below and refer to the present scenario sub heading....
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Coast_Guard

In war time, the Indian Navy takes operational command and assets & personnel are used to complement whatever military goals the IN wants to achieve.
ramana wrote:Does ICG participate in joint maritime exercises with IN?
I cannot say for certainty, but I am sure they do. tsarkar will likely know or someone else.

The Navy does Visit, Board, Search and Seizure (VBSS) drills regularly (both locally and with other navies). With the ICG enforcing maritime law, I am sure they need to do those drills as well.

Visit, Board, Search and Seizure (VBSS)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visit,_bo ... nd_seizure

International Exercise, which involved VBSS drills. This picture is from Malabar 2007...12 years ago.
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Gall ... 1.jpg.html

Hope this helps....
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Thanks Rakesh.
How about nearwar situation.like defending Bombay High, seaborne terrorist attack.like 26/11?
Do they have submersible and marine commando type forces?
In war do they revert to IN command and control?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

ramana wrote:Thanks Rakesh.
How about nearwar situation.like defending Bombay High, seaborne terrorist attack.like 26/11?
Do they have submersible and marine commando type forces?
In war do they revert to IN command and control?
Any change in their primary roles, would require them to come under the command and guidance of the Indian Navy. So defending Bombay High, Seaborne Terrorist Attack i.e. 26/11 would require the intervention of the Indian Navy from where they can follow orders.

They do not have submersibles or a MARCOS type force.

You are correct. In war, they come under the operational command of the Indian Navy...as it should be.

I am a firm believer in giving the Indian Coast Guard a greater role in protecting India's vast coastline. For that, they require more patrol vessels (the Navy has patrol vessels as well), pollution control vessels, fixed (Dornier Do-228) & rotary wing (HAL Dhruv) aircraft and other tools (UAVs). If not being done, they should also undertake a VBBS role from which they can learn from the Indian Navy. I would prefer the IN to relinquish that portion of their role to the ICG. Unless there is a valid reason for doing otherwise. Perhaps tsarkar can advise on that.

I would like to see the IN focus more on blue water ops i.e. in peacetime enforce UNCLOS (United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea) and in wartime, take the fight to the enemy. For that we need robust carrier battle groups with all the required assets, SSNs with BrahMos VLS cells silently patrolling the South China and Philippine Seas, Su-30MKIs (or Tu-22s) armed with BrahMos stationed on the eastern seaboard, etc. A future war with China will be more at sea, than on land. I digress!

The IN can also partner with the ICG on India's 200 nautical miles (from the coast) EEZ [Exclusive Economic Zone). We are currently seeking to expand it to 350 nautical miles - a welcome move. An extremely important role that cannot be lightly taken. See below...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusive ... _India.svg

Everything China sees, suddenly becomes theirs. As NSA Ajit Doval so rightly pointed out to them (during Doklam) ----> Are we to assume that everything you lay your eyes upon, then becomes yours?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

By the way Ramana-ji, here are some recent developments on the Indian Coast Guard.

India’s coastal security conundrum
https://www.orfonline.org/expert-speak/ ... conundrum/

Do not bother on clicking link below. Will freeze. I reproduced entire article below...

Defence Ministry rejects proposal to cede Indian Coast Guard to MHA
https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/d ... 2018-05-24

Against the backdrop of a committee of top police officials suggesting that the Indian Coast Guard (ICG) be brought under the home ministry, senior government officials said the proposal from the North Block has already been once rejected by the defence ministry which controls the coastal security agency. "The home ministry had sent a letter to the defence ministry in 2016 demanding the Coast Guard be brought under it rather than being under the defence ministry, for better coordination with the marine and coastal police of state governments but the defence ministry had plainly rejected the proposal at that time," a senior government official told Mail Today. The defence ministry at that that time had suggested that as the fourth armed force of the country, the coast guard was engaged in several other operations, including the protection and guarding of Exclusive Economic Zone, preventing the use of sea route by terrorists to carry terror attacks, searching and boarding of suspected vessels in sea and pollution control operations in and around the country's sea boundaries.

The defence ministry had also cited the need for a better coordination between the Navy and the Coast Guard under it for coastal security as a reason for not accepting the proposal from the home ministry. Sources said as the fourth armed force, the Coast Guard has been performing diplomatic roles for the country as it engages with global coast guards and plays an important role in defence ties with countries such as Japan and South Korea. The force has also been playing an important role in checking the use of sea for smuggling of narcotics and use of sea route by terrorists on the Pakistan border as it recently caught a haul of drugs worth over Rs 3,500 crore off the Gujarat coast and prevented a suspected terror boat from entering Indian waters. Reports suggested that the home ministry is examining a report it got from the panel of directors general of police (DGPs) last year advocating reform in maritime security. The paramilitary forces under the home ministry are headed by the Indian Police Service officers who join the force only as senior officers over which there is a lot of unease within the cadre officers as they stagnate at middle ranks due to lack of promotional opportunities.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Another thing Ramana-ji, is that the Indian Coast Guard and the Border Security Force are the nuts & bolts of India's security at the border and at the coast. Internal security is the job of the Indian Police. If these three are poorly managed and operated, no point in having a strong military (Army, Navy & Air Force). This causes issues like 26/11.

All three - ICG, BSF and IPS - must be efficiently managed and proper funding & equipment given to the organisations. Drop the ball on this and then your foundation is weak.
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

Rakesh ji, a hypothetical scenario - if ICG is indeed placed under MHA, will it led by IPS officers, like CRPF/BSF? In which case, it becomes a CAPF. Or it becomes a paramilitary like Assam Rifles.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

atreya wrote:Rakesh ji, a hypothetical scenario - if ICG is indeed placed under MHA, will it led by IPS officers, like CRPF/BSF? In which case, it becomes a CAPF. Or it becomes a paramilitary like Assam Rifles.
The cadre ranks of ICG are equivalent to those seen in CRPF, CISF and BSF so the force would, by rank structure and nomenclature, become a CAPF but by role become a Paramilitary unit, much like the NSG.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Putting this in the thread because of recent discussion on VBBS.

BTW, how many people do you see in the picture? :)

https://twitter.com/indiandefence11/sta ... 0553165824 ---> Indian Navy VBSS team armed with Sterling Carbines and Viper P2 helmet.

Bob V
BRFite

Post by Bob V »

Bob V wrote:What was the name of that Russian ship, which had first implemented this concept & was discovered subsequently by the US intelligence ? I can't seem to find any reference of it, on the internet.
I think I just found out the answer to my own question - Soviet cruiser Ordzhonikidze
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/livefist/status/1023920183977672704 ---> Indian MoD approves acquisition of 8 fast patrol vessels (FPVs) for the Indian Coast Guard under the Buy (Indian-IDDM) for ₹800 crore.

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

At Rs 100 crores per vessel these sound more like boats than vessels!

Do we have displacement?

Yes about 300 tonnes and 50 meter length.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aadesh-cl ... rol_vessel