INS Vikrant: News and Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Re: INS Vikrant News and Discussion

Post by chetak »

KSingh wrote:
ldev wrote:The twitter exchange highlights that the Vikrant lift size was not "future proofed" for the Rafale M. But then Maolankar is also essentially saying that even if the lift was super sized to accommodate the Rafale, the fact that it does not have foldable wings "reduces the capacity of the hangar/flight deck and overall operational efficiency of the ship".

The counterpoint to this is the French carrier CDG- it is almost identical to the IAC-1 in dimensions and displacement but it can carry *30* Rafale-Ms even with fixed wings. Her lifts can transport 2x Rafales at any one time.

It’s a simple fact that the IN made a basic and fatal error by failing to future proof the IAC-1 and not thinking past the MIG-29K, then they gave the contract to the Russians to design the entire aviation complex for the IAC-1.

So failure to imagine or was there someone being ‘influenced’ by the Russians as this overtly benefits their MIC.

There were even talks of considering the E2D (now cleared for sale to India) operating from IN STOBAR carriers, absolutely no chance with the current lifts (moot now with the KA31 orders perhaps).

They dug themselves quite the hole and are now betting on the clean sheet design (TEDBF) to come along to save them but until then they are in for a LOT of pain as the 29K fleet is deeply troubled.

The IN is bragging about their design bureau creating the IAC-1 then they should own this mistake also
one has seen who joined boeing and what is now being pushed by them.

what makes maolankar's or anyone else's views so special, its just another opinion being pushed, and for god knows what reason.

any number of such "views" are floating around on twitter, some worthwhile and others, not so much.

"Retired" and looking to "re tyre" is the bane of those mil types looking for newer ports to dock

while welcoming a multiplicity of opinions, let us not get carried away by by hyperbole like:
The IN is bragging about their design bureau creating the IAC-1 then they should own this mistake also
The IN has every right to its opinions, because, after all, it is the one that counts most.

one punch drunk ex chief is into Modi bashing, another ex chief with one foot already in the grave is highly politicized and openly paki pasand. Ditto for any number of retired IAF and IA types as well.

takes all sorts to make the world go round, no
Last edited by chetak on 08 Aug 2021 18:52, edited 1 time in total.
KSingh
BRFite

Post by KSingh »

Rakesh wrote:Dassault has proposed detachable wing tips to accommodate the Rafale M on the Vikrant. My personal opinion is that is not a good solution. While Boeing has demonstrated that their F-18 can fit on onboard the Vikramaditya and Vikrant, it remains to be seen how the MRCBF deal is going to go. They just got the sanction for the six P75I boats. TEDBF is under development. There are a host of other naval projects in the timeline. In the midst of all this, how and where the Navy is going to secure funds for 36 new naval fighters remains a mystery.

There is little utility in what the Navy Chief or any senior navy officer says. Not because they are not untrustworthy, but the MoD Babus have consistently undercut them. Navy Chief says there are no budgetary constraints to acquire 57 MRCBF fighters, but the MoD says no and the Navy is forced to reduce it to 36. Even that 36 is now in doubt. The Navy wants a 65K CATOBAR aircraft carrier and the MoD has always shot that proposal down. Classic bureaucracy at work here.

The only saving grace in this mess is the PLAN - they also have only two STOBAR carriers. Their only naval fighter is a big mess. And their CATOBAR aircraft carrier will take a long time to get fully operational. And the PLAN is still learning the intricacies of aircraft carrier doctrine. And the tremendous technological advantage that USN Carrier Groups have (which is what makes them nearly invincible) is just not there with the Chinese Navy. PLAN aircraft carriers (which are constantly tracked by the US) do not have the luxury of open sea either. They are bottlenecked - literally and figuratively. That is not to suggest that waltzing into the South China Sea will be easy, but the reverse is equally true for the PLAN if they come out into the open ocean.
With TEDBF on the way there’s ZERO chance MRCBF becomes a reality, it’s not even worth discussing F-18 vs Rafale-M. It never even got past RFI stage, RFP—> delivery is a 10+ year process, no way that effort produces a bird before TEDBF is ready.

There’s soo many compromises that need to be made for Rafale and F-18 on deck and it goes much beyond the lifts.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

Gerald Bull was Belgian.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

^ He was a Canadian born who worked a lot in the US, and had to get out when he got caught and was charged for illegally selling to the South Africans.

Moved to Belgium (not clear if he applied for and got Belgian citizenship). Worked on some artillery for the Chinese and later the Iraqis for some time before he was offed, most probably by the Israelis..
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Manish_P wrote:^ He was a Canadian born who worked a lot in the US, and had to get out when he got caught and was charged for illegally selling to the South Africans.

Moved to Belgium (not clear if he applied for and got Belgian citizenship). Worked on some artillery for the Chinese and later the Iraqis for some time before he was offed, most probably by the Israelis..
can we not find some such eager to please, friendly type to help out with the kaveri development.

seems a straightforward procedure:

Find, employ, and just before payment but after project delivery, off the guy or get him offed.

Seriously, why not us, when everyone else and their uncle seem to be doing it: I meant employing, not offing
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

chetak wrote:
can we not find some such eager to please, friendly type to help out with the kaveri development.

Find, employ, and just before payment but after project delivery, off the guy or get him offed.

Seriously, why not us, when everyone else and their uncle seem to be doing it: I meant employing, not offing
Why not indeed.

Rememberance of a certain Herr Kurt Tank comes to mind... unfortunately with some sadness.

But even more do I feel about the missed chances in the glorious late 80s and 90s when the mighty Soviet Union went belly up and a lot of Russian engineers were looking for jobs & hardware was going on the cheap...I was just a wee lad then but I still remember my enthusiast teenage brother discussing with his pals whether we would get a lot of Russian military material (especially MiGs and T-series tanks) and maintenance men on the cheap..

(PS - unless you meant that in a sarcastic way? You are usually very direct and that might have thrown me off... but I did mean what i wrote. The India of today can offer high renumeration & a pretty decent lifestyle to an 'expat' expert, if the government decides so to do.. and it is not Padminis and Ambys now, we got Ferraris and Lambos here too :D)
RishiChatterjee
BRFite

Post by RishiChatterjee »

chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Manish_P wrote:
chetak wrote:

Why not indeed.

Rememberance of a certain Herr Kurt Tank comes to mind... unfortunately with some sadness.

But even more do I feel about the missed chances in the glorious late 80s and 90s when the mighty Soviet Union went belly up and a lot of Russian engineers were looking for jobs & hardware was going on the cheap...I was just a wee lad then but I still remember my enthusiast teenage brother discussing with his pals whether we would get a lot of Russian military material (especially MiGs and T-series tanks) and maintenance men on the cheap..

(PS - unless you meant that in a sarcastic way? You are usually very direct and that might have thrown me off... but I did mean what i wrote. The India of today can offer high renumeration & a pretty decent lifestyle to an 'expat' expert, if the government decides so to do.. and it is not Padminis and Ambys now, we got Ferraris and Lambos here too :D)
I personally know of an aviation battery manufacturer in the deep south who had imported a retired ameriki chief engineer who set up the plant for him and ran it for quite some time and trained a lot of the staff.

The Indian company had built an ameriki style house for him and looked after him well. The guys had a reasonably good slice of the military market in India.

Herr Kurt Tank's son went to school in Bangalore and I am privileged to know a couple of his erstwhile classmates. Always very educative talking to such knowledgeable guys. Many people attend meetings of professional societies and cadging an intro or two or three at such meetings is worthwhile.

No one else seems to even want to explore such a possibility as far as the jet engine tech is concerned.

and no, Manish_P ji, Moi was not being sarcastic.
kvraghav
BRFite

Post by kvraghav »

Programs like IAC run for decades. How can we future proof for govt changes, geo political changes et all unless we do a Arjun MBT like development? On a lighter note, we should be able to test the STOBAR of Arjun MBT thus getting it a step closer to induction.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

The ship just finished her first 5 day voyage.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

KSingh wrote:....
For reference, the original Vikrant i.e. HMS Hercules which was laid down during WW2 and then construction halted at the end of the war, was subsequently sold to India in 1957 and commissioned in the Indian Navy as the INS Vikrant in 1961 had a steam catapult and it's lift/elevator was sized at 16.5 meters x 10.4 meters i.e. 54 feet x 34 feet. And these lifts were increased in size at the request of the Indian Navy beyond what was planned in the original WW2 design. Amazing that the Indian Navy of 1957 had the foresight of appropriately sized lifts that the Indian Navy of 2009 did not!! Also what is amazing is that the Indian Navy was skilled in CATOBAR operations including during the Bangladesh War of 1971. Why and how they were they snookered into going in for STOBAR is a mystery. Maybe too many Natashas!! Lol.

You are right that all US supercarriers as well as the Charles de Gaulle have each elevator/lift capable of handling 2 aircraft at the same time and would therefore be ~25 meters wide.
KSingh
BRFite

Post by KSingh »

ldev wrote:
KSingh wrote:
For reference, the original Vikrant i.e. HMS Hercules which was laid down during WW2 and then construction halted at the end of the war, was subsequently sold to India in 1957 and commissioned in the Indian Navy as the INS Vikrant in 1961 had a steam catapult and it's lift/elevator was sized at 16.5 meters x 10.4 meters i.e. 54 feet x 34 feet. And these lifts were increased in size at the request of the Indian Navy beyond what was planned in the original WW2 design. Amazing that the Indian Navy of 1957 had the foresight of appropriately sized lifts that the Indian Navy of 2009 did not!! Also what is amazing is that the Indian Navy was skilled in CATOBAR operations including during the Bangladesh War of 1971. Why and how they were they snookered into going in for STOBAR is a mystery. Maybe too many Natashas!! Lol.

You are right that all US supercarriers as well as the Charles de Gaulle have each elevator/lift capable of handling 2 aircraft at the same time and would therefore be ~25 meters wide.
The more I think about the lift issue the more something stinks. Even if they designed it around the 29K didn’t they think it prudent to be able to lift more than 1 fighter at a time like all other carriers can do? Heck the QE class can transport a CH-47 on its lifts with no blades folded/removed.

Total botched effort, how many dozens of senior officers were overseeing the IAC-1 as their full time job and they all failed to highlight this issue? The IN prides itself on its continuous carrier operating experience, what good has this experience given them? Minuscule lifts and no jet blast deflectors?
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

KSingh wrote:[

The more I think about the lift issue the more something stinks. Even if they designed it around the 29K didn’t they think it prudent to be able to lift more than 1 fighter at a time like all other carriers can do? Heck the QE class can transport a CH-47 on its lifts with no blades folded/removed.

Total botched effort, how many dozens of senior officers were overseeing the IAC-1 as their full time job and they all failed to highlight this issue? The IN prides itself on its continuous carrier operating experience, what good has this experience given them? Minuscule lifts and no jet blast deflectors?
By the way I would not be certain that the Rafale M/FA-18 are DOA. Like all programs the TEDBF is likely to take much longer than planned and the IN's patience with the Mig-29K may not last. As of now first TEDBF flight is planned for 2026.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Are the I.N.S. Vikrant's aircraft lifts too small - an analysis

Answer: They're not for any aircraft except Rafale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGdyIV3z3qA

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Manish_P wrote:
Rakesh wrote:Dassault has proposed detachable wing tips to accommodate the Rafale M on the Vikrant. My personal opinion is that is not a good solution...
+1

Rakesh ji, have they asked (or are likely to demand) for a minimum number of units order towards offsetting the development (manufacturing, testing, certifying, maintenance & spares) costs?

I am wondering that if we are likely to be the sole operators of such a 'bespoke' platform then what is the ROI for them to develop it, unless they charge them very high (with justification given as being sanction-proof)?

Especially considering we are planning to build our own naval planes in the future...
With a confirmed order, they will tack on the developmental costs onto the aircraft. It is upto the IN to confirm the order.

The problem is primarily this ---> operating a stand alone fleet of F-18SHs will be prohibitively expensive for the Indian Navy. With the MiG-29K, there was always the MiG-29 in the IAF to fall back on for training and maintenance issues. Naval aviators also leaned on the IAF for their experience with the MiG-29. With the F-18, there is nothing "home grown" to fall back on. Everything will be what the OEM and the user (US Navy) says. Now with the Rafale M, there is the Rafale C to fall back on with the IAF. And Dassault is pushing the case of fleet commonality, which is quite frankly hard to overlook.

So, assuming the Rafale M makes it to the Indian Navy, issues like not fitting on lifts (as of now) will be resolved and the IN will pay the financial cost. There is no point in dealing with two OEMs - Dassault and Boeing - when you can deal with one (Dassault). And the Rafale M is no slouch and is eons better than the MiG-29K.

Remember, this entire deal of 57 (now 36) MRCBF aircraft was originally meant for the CATOBAR carrier. So while these fighters will be on the Vikrant and Vikramaditya, the IAC-2 vessel will be the real deal. Here is where the F-18 will outshine the Rafale M. She carries more ordnance than the Rafale M, she has a longer airframe life than the Rafale M, that APG-79 AESA on the F-18SH will be more than a match for the AESA on the Rafale M....among other plus points. Where Boeing will lose (assuming the contest ever sees the light of day) is in the overall deal.

How do you argue against fleet commonality when the sister service has 36 Rafales in service and is actively considering ordering more? What is the plus point in working with another OEM and investing upwards of $10 billion to acquire a naval fighter which has no counterpart in the IAF? At that stage, Rafale M not fitting on fitting on the lifts will not be a "deal killer" problem. Issues like bespoke platform are only meant for local maal i.e. HAL Dhruv does not have auto blade folding. But all sorts of leeway are given for phoren maal, because it is phoren. I never heard the IAF complain about the first batch of Mirage 2000s that came with a lesser powerful turbofan. Same with the first batch of SEPECAT Jaguars. But HAL Tejas Mk1 is not good enough, even though she is better than the Mirage 2000.

So while Rafale M cannot fit on the lifts, either they will adopt the detachable wingtips solution or have folding wings or even cut open the vessel (Vikrant) - to enlarge the lifts - during her midlife refit. Any delay and any cost is acceptable for phoren maal. The tentacles of the import lobby are deep.

The only saving grace is that this deal will likely never see the light of day, because the CDS is hell bent against a CATOBAR aircraft carrier. He is not interested in investing in a program that will take 15 years to arrive, when there are other more pressing military programs that need to be acquired. The IAF will not touch the F-18SH with a ten foot pole. They do not believe that it is an aircraft suited for air force operations. They have already invested in the Rafale and they will not invest any more money into another fourth generation fighter. So put yourself in the MoD shoes and ask yourself this question - two STOBAR aircraft carriers are there, MiG-29K is there, TEDBF development has commenced, we can replace the lost MiG-29K/KUBs with more from Russia........so what phor you need 36 new naval fighters? And had there been three aircraft carriers, the Indian Navy would have a far stronger case. But they don't.

Even Boeing has realized that with the F-18SH...they may not make it to the finish line in the 114 MRFA deal. So they have put the F-15EX into the mix, because with the F-15EX they have a clear winner. She carries a ridiculous amount of ordnance and has an awesome AESA radar...amongst various other strengths. She will outclass all the other fighters in the MRFA contest. But the IAF will not purchase the F-15EX. What will they do with the Rambha fleet that is less than 20 years old? They want only the Rafale. From their standpoint, it makes perfect sense. And the Navy has already said that they will go with whatever aircraft the IAF chooses. So Rafale M it will be, assuming they have the money for it. But they do not.

If another 36 Rafales do come for the IAF...it is all over in the MRFA deal and even in the MRCBF deal. Then get ready for the ride, because RaGa will have convulsions and fits. An additional 36 Rafales will have implications for India far greater than IAF squadron shortage. Everything is riding on phoren fighters - strategic partnerships, CATOBAR aircraft carrier, etc. Thus RaGa and his ilk will do everything in their power to kill the deal. I will celebrate only when all 36 Rafales of the second batch - assuming such a deal is ever signed - have arrived. Then it is really game over in the MRFA and MRCBF deals.

But no Govt in power can force a military platform onto a military service in India, because no Govt - BJP or Congress - has even an iota of a clue as to how and what these platforms are capable of. You cannot blame them really, as it is not their area of expertise. The service will tell the Govt what they want and the Govt will buy it. The only hurdles for the service are money and corruption, which is exactly what RaGa accused the Modi Govt of in the Rafale deal. But the way the procurement system is set up in India, is that the service has to first conduct the technical down-select. And what the service wants in the technical down-select, the service will get. Only after that, does the Govt come into the picture. Doing it any other way, will reek of corruption. And the opposition will take the ruling Govt to the cleaners if they ever attempted a stunt like that.

And like chetak rightfully said, with the arrival of the S-400...everything will be up in the air. The S-400 purchase is not going to go down well in US political circles. If not for anything else, the S-400 will be the litmus test for the India-US strategic partnership. But it is a political price that India will have to pay. But it is better to pay it now, then when we are deeply invested into the US military ecosystem. At that point, it will be too late. Our hands will be tied. Pay it now, whatever the cost.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

jamwal wrote:Are the I.N.S. Vikrant's aircraft lifts too small - an analysis

Answer: They're not for any aircraft except Rafale
WIll not matter Sirjee, as indicated above.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

ldev wrote:By the way I would not be certain that the Rafale M/FA-18 are DOA. Like all programs the TEDBF is likely to take much longer than planned and the IN's patience with the Mig-29K may not last. As of now first TEDBF flight is planned for 2026.
Rafale M and F-18SH could be DOA not because of TEBDF...but because of CDS. He has to approve it.

What a masterstroke by Prime Minister Modi by creating the office of CDS. And the next CDS will likely be from the air force.

And you are well aware of the opinions of air forces - world over - with regards to aircraft carriers.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Rakesh wrote:
With the MiG-29K, there was always the MiG-29 in the IAF to fall back on for training and maintenance issues. Naval aviators also leaned on the IAF for their experience with the MiG-29.
Efendi,

IIRC, the IN MiG-29Ks are 4 channel fly by wire, whereas the IAF MiG-29s use the rather more conventional mechanical systems.

The engines too are not interchangeable, nor do they even have commonality in construction, so maintenance issues will largely be different too.

The MiG-29K's airframe is built for carrier and marine environment operations so a majority of the spares would be unique to type and non interchangeable with the IAF MiG-29s. The design loads of the two would be different too.

one could wager good money that the handling of the two variants would be somewhat different too, meaning that qualification on one type would not automatically mean qualification on the other type.

But training issues could work if all that was being sought was basic exposure and familiarization to the MiG 29 type.

My two paise onlee.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

chetak wrote:Efendi...
:lol:
chetak wrote:But training issues could work if all that was being sought was basic exposure and familiarization to the MiG 29 type.

My two paise onlee.
All valid points sirjee. I was referring to the above.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

You are right of course. Type commonality is a very strong and compelling reason

(though it may be cause of jingo angst in other arms of the forces - cough cough, T series)

Would I be correct in assuming that the commonality between the Rafale and the Rafale M is much higher than the commonality between the Air force MiG 29s and the naval MiG 29k ?

In part simply due to the much larger time difference in the case of the MiGs..
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Being humiliated by India, the Pakistanis have also started work on their first carrier:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... /Dabba.jpg
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Manish_P wrote:Would I be correct in assuming that the commonality between the Rafale and the Rafale M is much higher than the commonality between the Air force MiG 29s and the naval MiG 29K
Yes. There is reportedly greater than 95% commonality between the Rafale M and Rafale C as per wiki chacha. The major difference will be in the strengthened landing gear on the Rafale M, which the Rafale C just does not need.

The MiG-29K was developed from the MiG-29 air defence fighter which was never designed to be a naval fighter in the first place. Thus all the issues plaguing the MiG-29 fleet in the Indian Naval Air Arm. The Rafale M was designed right alongside the Rafale C and Rafale B, but as a carrier borne fighter.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

^ That much! I had expected strengthening of landing gear, more tougher mounts for the inner panels (to absorb the jolts) and perhaps a special coating treatment of the outer skin (to protect from the more corrosive marine environment).. all adding up to significant price difference.

Sanjay ji - :lol: There are rumours (more like paki jingo desperate hopes) that Pakistan will get a chini carrier on lease, in lieu of more ownership of some port/land. Every time there is news of the progress of our Vik, the baki fanboys go into overdrive saying how it will be a geo-strategic master stroke for China to base their carrier in Bakiland. That way, they claim, the Chinese can keep a closer eye on the Amreekis and the Indian's....
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

There is too much focus on the size of the lifts. The other point made by Maolonkar is extremely relevant. If the Rafale doesn't have foldable wings, the number you can have in the hangar or on deck is going to be quite limited. I'm sure that when the balloon goes up, the carrier is going to be packed with aircraft - both on the deck and in the hangar.

So, having non-foldable wings means you are going to accommodate a smaller number of jets. I don't know exactly how much the shortfall is going to be (is it going to be 10%, 20% of the total ?) but the capabilities that Rafale brings better be worth it.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Wonder why the French didn't design the marine Rafale with folding wings from the get go? For one their carriers are smaller than the US behemoths and (a minor point) secondly they do place importance in inter-operability from US carriers, don't they? Bet the Yank carrier crews aren't too pleased giving le french fillies more of the precious real estate on their carriers than their own beefy home-grown hornets, during the joint exercises :mrgreen:

On a serious note, good that our TEDBF is being designed with folding wings from conception.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

They will soldier on with MiG-29K till the early 2030s, when they are reportedly planned to be retired. Will be replaced by the TEDBF.

F-18SH and Rafale M will likely not materialize.
RishiChatterjee
BRFite

Post by RishiChatterjee »

Binging this for a week back2back..

kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Rakesh wrote: The only saving grace in this mess is the PLAN - they also have only two STOBAR carriers. Their only naval fighter is a big mess. And their CATOBAR aircraft carrier will take a long time to get fully operational. And the PLAN is still learning the intricacies of aircraft carrier doctrine. And the tremendous technological advantage that USN Carrier Groups have (which is what makes them nearly invincible) is just not there with the Chinese Navy. PLAN aircraft carriers (which are constantly tracked by the US) do not have the luxury of open sea either. They are bottlenecked - literally and figuratively. That is not to suggest that waltzing into the South China Sea will be easy, but the reverse is equally true for the PLAN if they come out into the open ocean.
The Chinese AC s work coordinated with land based ballistic missile strikes and mainland-based bombers slinging long range cruise missiles.

It is not going to go head-on against an American strike group.

By the same template India can do this better against China in the IOR ., out land-based assets are far out and spread to our island bases., throw in high performance subs and carrier groups, they would sail right into a gauntlet

Also, one reason i keep advocating for one more carrier group for IN., that it takes time to fully develop one is a reason, but more importantly India should not be caught out when the existing ones are in retrofit or maintenance
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

This is from twitter and a really ignorant post, made without technical/aviation knowledge by some ignoramus without even a cursory appreciation of facts.

The designers did not foresee that the Russian aircraft were not up to mark and that the stated Indian LCA would not be good enough. Our plan B was a failure.
In actual fact, both aircraft were unfortunately asked to deliver before they were ready and because they did not/could not do what the alleged and self proclaimed cognoscenti demanded, they damned them as failures. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Work in progress is what they were/are. Such projects are extremely capital intensive and long gestation because of the complexity, especially when they are being attempted for the first time.

Issues are obviously being sorted out and solutions are being implemented.

It doesn't help matters that there is a blaze of unwanted publicity on social media by a tribe of jokers eager to play cassandra (: one that predicts misfortune or disaster).

The new carrier also seems to be heading down the same slippery path on SM
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Is there a possibility of AEW&CS aircraft on any of our Aircraft carriers?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

SBajwa wrote:Is there a possibility of AEW&CS aircraft on any of our Aircraft carriers?
You will need a CATOBAR vessel for that. Not possible to launch AEW aircraft from STOBAR vessels like Vikramaditya or Vikrant.
arvin
BRFite

Post by arvin »

IN should operate its own A320 awacs with x band in nose operating out of IAC-0 that would give updates to the carrier.
Would be as good as operating E2D.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

kit wrote:The Chinese ACs work coordinated with land based ballistic missile strikes and mainland-based bombers slinging long range cruise missiles.

It is not going to go head-on against an American strike group.
Well the thinking on BRF is that to counter a CSG, you need a CSG of your own ;)

In a naval war against the US Navy, the PLAN will get routed and that too in their own backyard. The humiliation will be worse for them out in the Indian Ocean.
kit wrote:By the same template India can do this better against China in the IOR ., out land-based assets are far out and spread to our island bases., throw in high performance subs and carrier groups, they would sail right into a gauntlet.
Admiral Sunil Lanba (retd) has stated that in the Indian Ocean, the Indian Navy holds the edge vis-à-vis the PLAN.
kit wrote:Also, one reason i keep advocating for one more carrier group for IN., that it takes time to fully develop one is a reason, but more importantly India should not be caught out when the existing ones are in retrofit or maintenance
Three carriers is the plan...but that plan is not working out due to a temporary budgetary crunch.
KL Dubey
BRFite

Post by KL Dubey »

kit wrote:By the same template India can do this better against China in the IOR ., out land-based assets are far out and spread to our island bases., throw in high performance subs and carrier groups, they would sail right into a gauntlet

Also, one reason i keep advocating for one more carrier group for IN., that it takes time to fully develop one is a reason, but more importantly India should not be caught out when the existing ones are in retrofit or maintenance
Not to go OT, but a heavily militarized A&N Islands is the overarching need. An "edge" over the PLAN is not enough, clear superiority is needed. A carrier group in the A&N would certainly not hurt either. Why not invite Japan to help build up the islands. They have done a thorough job planning to defend their archipelago.

A militarized A&N will stop any Chinese IOR offensive dead in its tracks even before it gets anywhere near the Indian Ocean, put the fear of the gods into any Chinese shipping moving through IOR, allow us to police the entire eastern IOR, and also wallop the BDs and Burmese junta if they take the wrong side in any India-China conflict.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Read these back and forth twitter posts....

https://twitter.com/zone5aviation/statu ... 27395?s=20 ---> You can really tell this design is far better optimized for carrier operations than Vikramaditya. Pity about the tiny lifts though.

https://twitter.com/hvtiaf/status/14232 ... 68297?s=20 ---> Lifts seem to be perfect. We don't exactly need to design for some imported aircraft. Our present and future aircraft fit well, and perhaps we should not eat into storage space by making extras large lifts. It's a tight fit, which is in some ways, most optimised.

https://twitter.com/zone5aviation/statu ... 62337?s=20 ---> Sir, they were literally designed around an imported aircraft : )

And now they impose constraints on India’s Navy.

https://twitter.com/hvtiaf/status/14236 ... 64420?s=20 ---> No constraints from where an Indian Navy person sees it.

There are three aircraft IAC fits, i.e.

* MiG-29K; which IN operates,
* LCA-Navy; which is undergoing tests by IN,
* TEDBF; which is being designed on IN's specs.

Lifts are designed by IN. No constraints as far as IN knows.

https://twitter.com/zone5aviation/statu ... 52003?s=20 ---> A little less black and white than that sir, but twitter’s probably not the right place for it.

https://twitter.com/JA_Maolankar/status ... 85569?s=20 ---> Be aware - only novices prepare for an air combat sortie as per the flying programme. 1v1 can so easily become 2v1.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

From Group Captain HV Thakur (Retd)…

https://twitter.com/hvtiaf/status/14241 ... 74916?s=21 --->

kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Vikky

The real deal

It all started here :mrgreen: the illustrious predecessor INS Vikrant
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Lifts are sized on both the dimensions of the fighters, or other aircraft it carries but also whether you want to be able to move multiple aircraft at a time. Because an AC can see multiple generations of aircraft as its AW evolves over 4-6 decades of service, larger lifts provide you the future proofing for systems that you don't even know that you'll need in the future instead of putting tighter constraints on them. On IAC-1, the lifts seem to be designed around a single MiG-29K. That's reasonable since that is the only naval fighter the IN had when it was designed. TEDBF is being designed around the lifts (not the other way around). Any future AEW, fixed or rotary winged UAV/UCAV will have to be designed around those constraints as well so it really comes down to flexibility that certain lift dimensions do or don't afford when developing future aircraft.

arvin wrote:IN should operate its own A320 awacs with x band in nose operating out of IAC-0 that would give updates to the carrier.
It will only be able to meet partial set of requirements and needless to say the P-8 and IAF AEW aircraft will already be supporting where they can. But the E-2D is an organic, fixed wing AEW capability on call to the AW 24x7. Plot a distance from land, and then put a radius around it in keeping with a relevant AOR for an AW of a carrier. Now calculate the number of land based subsonic aircraft required to hold an on demand orbit. Now do the same for the anti-ship missile capability that an opponent could unleash (majority of the E-2's mission is to provide overhead surveillance against the ASCM threat to surface ships and AC's).

Simply put, it is not possible and gets progressively difficult the farther away you get (closer to land this is probably being done already). It isn't "as good as the E-2D" capability. Sure..good or better when available. But not on call to the a Commander who has 5 or so E-2D's available on call and can launch and hold them in orbit with IFR. It is the same with organic ASW. The USN has relaxed fixed wing carrier borne ASW capability post cold war, but no one really thinks that a P-8 helping out from land is as good. It is sufficient but if you want to constantly track a submarine you've identified, you need to have both and I suspect as the Chinese submarines incresae in quality and quantity the USN will reintroduce fixed wing ASW..likely using an unmanned platform.
Last edited by brar_w on 10 Aug 2021 00:09, edited 3 times in total.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

arvin wrote:IN should operate its own A320 awacs with x band in nose operating out of IAC-0 that would give updates to the carrier.
The Ka-31 AEW is the solution that the Indian Navy plans to adopt aboard the Vikrant.

The Navy is quite pleased with the Ka-31. They have reportedly been to track fighter aircraft taking from Masroor AFB near Karachi, Pakistan using the Ka-31. No one knows (and neither should they) the exact parameters, but that is what was reported earlier.

For a CATOBAR vessel, there is only one ---> E-2D Advanced Hawkeye. Unless a locally developed AEW system (i.e. Netra) is put on a platform. The Chinese are developing a xerox copy version of the E-2, but it remains to be seen how much of the hyperbole translates into fact.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

As per Shiv Aroor, Dassault has said that the Rafale M can operate from the Vikrant's ski jump and also fit on the lift. I am not sure how, but that is what Shiv Aroor is reporting. Click on the tiny url, not the first one. If true, it is a plus for Dassault.

https://twitter.com/IndiaToday/status/1 ... 46020?s=20 ---> What aircraft will fly off INS Vikrant? Can Vikrant operate the Rafale too? To know more, watch this special edition of Battle Cry, with Shiv Aroor: https://intdy.in/x24l0k