Indian Army: News and Discussions 15 Apr 2012

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Army: News and Discussions 15 Apr 2012

Post by RamaY »

^ Sad part is that we on BRF (conveniently) avoided a honest discussion on our armed forces for years. Often we fail to distinguish nationalistic introspection from trolling and throw the proverbial baby with the water.

It happened many times - Taking over PoK discussions to using military as a means to achieve Indian interests.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

If you see the difference between the armed forces and the police forces (including the intel forces) it appears that the former is sued to defend the nation and the latter to defend a clique.
UPA, with its appointments, has been trying to reduce the armed forces to same format as the police forces.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

MN Kumar wrote:
Wait for some time and you can see him being made a hero as he done something what an outsider could'nt do.
The FirstPost report calls him a "teen" in its title. This is what I wrote in the comments:
A "teen" spin. Nice. What's next - a report of his mother crying in righteous indignation "Hang my son if he is guilty!!"

Followed by an Op-Ed in The Chindu about the incidence of teen crimes in India and their root causes, chief among which will be unemployment, of course.

Then on cue, Harsh Mander will wax eloquent about how to solve teen unemployment and why we need to expand NREGA, with a minority-teen-quota

2 weeks from now, people will be asking "What Amar Jawan Jyothi desecration?"
Kapil
Webmaster BR

Post by Kapil »

8)
The BR Mumbai Chapter has unanimously agreed to confer free drink and dinnerbenefits to Rohit Vats next time he's in town.
Just remember the password Rohit-]Armoured Kaur'

:D
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Kapil wrote:8)
The BR Mumbai Chapter has unanimously agreed to confer free drink and dinnerbenefits to Rohit Vats next time he's in town.
Just remember the password Rohit-]Armoured Kaur' :D
Slight correction, onleee saar - 'free drinks'... :mrgreen:

Errr....but why the honors? what did I do? Or, not do? :P

PS: is it for pulling the chaddi down of PCG?
Jaybhatt
BRFite

Post by Jaybhatt »

rohitvats wrote:

I congratulate Rohit Vats on his being conferred honours by the Mumbai BR Chapter. Richly deserved.

Small query (at the risk of sounding like a country kujjin : who / what is PCG ? Apologies in advance for your consideration.
pentaiah
BRFite

Post by pentaiah »

I am totally opposed to Dhoni or SRT being granted hon officers in Forces, this is height of chamcha giri
As it is the value of Padma awards are down the tubes with Burkha Dutt also a padma

at this rate Sunny Leone will be granted athi visishta seva medal class 3
Kapil
Webmaster BR

Post by Kapil »

Hi Rohit,
Yaar-I did meandrinks insteadof "drink'

Let me know when you are routing through.Bombay guys havent met in nearly 2 months!
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

pentaiah wrote:at this rate Sunny Leone will be granted athi visishta seva medal class 3
:rotfl:
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Brilliant article there nelson.

Not possible to find them now that deep selection will be back in.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Kapil wrote:Hi Rohit,
Yaar-I did meandrinks insteadof "drink'...Let me know when you are routing through.Bombay guys havent met in nearly 2 months!
All iz well, then....for a moment I thought it was rationing thing like my wife... :mrgreen: (any bachelor trying to use this to maaro some smarty-pants comment will find less than honorable mention on my blog with ficitious stories... :P )

Well, should be in Mumbai next week for couple of days at least...let's see if we can catch up in the evening. How can I contact you?
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Photo-essay on Indian Canal crossing operations:

http://vatsrohit.blogspot.in/2012/08/in ... tions.html
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Rohit something to think about

Delhi in China daze again]

B.K. Karnad
Gen. Bikram Singh, Chief of the Army Staff, is bringing in as his Principal Staff Officers (PSOs) colleagues from his time at the Eastern Command in Kolkata, and others who have served with and under him. This is normal and reasonable practice because a COAS is ultimately judged by what he accomplishes, and who best to advise him and implement his agenda than the people he has confidence in.

Gen. Bikram Singh’s tenure began under a cloud — the Army he leads is divided over whether or not he deserves his post and how much favouritism, stratagem and intrigue by his predecessors, Gen. J.J. Singh and Gen. Deepak Kapoor, and a complicit government, played a part in his elevation. The controversy surrounding his appointment because of their alleged “plan of succession” is history, but the bad blood it may have created should not lead to the discarding of the good schemes former Army Chief Gen. V.K. Singh initiated, the most notable being the Army’s China thrust. Gen. Bikram Singh would be well advised to push that slant as well. It is a particularly awful habit the Armed Services have fallen into, of allowing every new Chief of Staff to inaugurate and nurse his own pet projects.

Whatever Gen. Bikram Singh’s take on his predecessor’s focus, unfortunately, the desperately needed China tilt is already endangered. With the government instructing the three service chiefs to come up with a “joint plan” to deal with the China threat, the concept of the Mountain Strike Corps (MSC) is possibly being readied for burial.

While a joint military plan to counter China militarily is an imperative, shelving the embryonic idea of a Mountain Strike Corps does not make any sense unless that old sentiment from Jawaharlal Nehru’s days is returning, this time dressed up by the China Study Group (CSG) as a pragmatic posture. Since the 1970s, the CSG has been the fount of advice resulting in pusillanimous actions and policies related to our northern neighbour. And it is now proposing that India and China rise peacefully together. Admirable outlook, except we better also have a strike capability to hit back in case they pick a fight.
It is a mystery why we don’t imitate the Chinese — act nice, talk peace, trade as much as the traffic can bear, build up the military for offensive action and challenge China when it steps on our toes. If the overarching concern with not provoking China — India’s main threat, economic competitor, geopolitical rival and military adversary — is to take precedence over acquiring strike forces, then we might as well mentally prepare ourselves for a pummelling.
An Army capability to attack Chinese targets within Tibet has been sorely missing from the start. As envisaged, the MSC comprises several brigades, each able, after being detached from the main force, of mounting independent offensive action across the Line of Actual Control (LAC) on the Tibetan plateau, a capability required to keep the massed Chinese group armies honest. These brigades are conceived as having integral logistics, heli-lift and attack helicopters under their command.

Some nine Indian Army divisions are at present arrayed defensively in the eastern sector, and one and half divisions each in the northern and central sectors with an armoured brigade as a divisional component in both cases (to debouch from the Demchok Triangle and the northern Sikkim plains respectively). These two brigades worth of T-72 tanks divided between the central and northern sectors is a daunting mobile military force and it may be tested soon. The pre-positioned stock of shells for the tank guns in those areas cannot last more than a couple of days and recent military field intelligence suggests that the Chinese may be concentrating on an incursion into northeastern Sikkim in the next few months. If logistics support is strengthened, and to this mix is added the independently-operable brigades with T-90 tanks aided by the full aviation complement of the MSC for deployment anywhere along the 4,700 km border and able to affect a breach or two for meaningful ingress into Tibet, then the People’s Liberation Army of China will have reason to sweat a bit.

Is such an option to be left to the mercy of a military talk-shop? One thing is certain, had Gen. Bikram Singh stood firmly behind the MSC concept, it is unlikely the defence ministry, even less the finance ministry, would have written finis to it. A.K. Antony’s defence ministry is, like the rest of the Manmohan Singh caboodle, known for indecision and inaction. That finance ministry has suddenly asserted its fiduciary responsibility and questioned investment in the MSC based on its belief that China poses no threat and that even if it does the threat won’t last long into the future, is laughable.

Could it be that Gen. Bikram Singh is influenced by one of his benefactors, Gen. J.J. Singh who, as governor of Arunachal Pradesh, put out that the Indian Army needs to concentrate its efforts on the western front, while the government goes about cultivating China’s friendship? Gen. J.J. Singh, rather than ensuring that the road and other infrastructure projects are speeded up on the border east of the Kameng sector where Army forward posts are still serviced by mule packs, is busy shooting off his mouth. It is the sort of unenlightened advice that needs to be trashed publicly, except, tragically, it seems to be in sync with this government’s thinking.

As it is, the Manmohan Singh regime has tried to marginalise the Army by making the Navy and the Air Force the main elements in tackling the Chinese threat. In war, the Navy should interdict China’s energy and trade traffic transiting the Indian Ocean. But in short, intense conflicts, when territory will be at stake, naval actions cannot replace a land attack option, which will be at a premium for a riposte for immediate effect. In this context, jettisoning the MSC is to not take the fight to the Chinese. Gen. Bikram Singh would be responsible for ditching a potential capability that any self-respecting Army would want to have.

The writer is a professor at the Centre for Policy Research, New Delhi
I said long ago some chiefs dont like to get ready in case they have to fight.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

rohit

the way to contact Kaps is to contact any big shot services guy.

they in turn know how to reach our man :)
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

ramana, one quick comment - I don't think there is any armored brigade in Ladakh. IMO, what the author meant was a regiment of T-72 tanks in northern (3 Infantry Division) and central sectors (North Sikkim - Fingers Area). IA has asked for an (I) Armoured Bde for Ladakh along for (I) Infantry Bde each for Ladakh and Uttarakhand area.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

rohitvats wrote:

And BR Brusselabad chapter (one proud but SHQ fearing member) has unanimously agreed to confer best Belgian beers Rohit Vatss next time he's in town.
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

rsingh wrote: And BR Brusselabad chapter (one proud but SHQ fearing member) has unanimously agreed to confer best Belgian beers Rohit Vatss next time he's in town.
many thanks, saar...but chances of me making to Brussels are dimmer than our PM sahab taking a bold (read: in the interest of the country) decisions any time soon... :P
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

China’s PoK rail link plan gains traction

If this materialises, in whatever time frame, will be a game changer for IA. May be, by then, its plans for Mountain Strike Corps would have been vetted by the other services, for further consideration of GoI.
jai
BRFite

Post by jai »

Ref the article above - given the political uncertainty, upa already seems to be getting ready for poll mode - so more money will go into populist schemes now than defense. These guys may even stall current projects and
Leave them for the next govt - unless HMV is getting richer from it.

They know that they may loose the next election, therefore may tend to take def procurement and readiness as the next govt's headache - as it is, they have never bothered about it much.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

rohitvats wrote:ramana, one quick comment - I don't think there is any armored brigade in Ladakh. IMO, what the author meant was a regiment of T-72 tanks in northern (3 Infantry Division) and central sectors (North Sikkim - Fingers Area). IA has asked for an (I) Armoured Bde for Ladakh along for (I) Infantry Bde each for Ladakh and Uttarakhand area.
weren't the light tanks (RFI for which was floated sometime back) meant for ladakh ?
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

Rahul M wrote:
rohitvats wrote:ramana, one quick comment - I don't think there is any armored brigade in Ladakh. IMO, what the author meant was a regiment of T-72 tanks in northern (3 Infantry Division) and central sectors (North Sikkim - Fingers Area). IA has asked for an (I) Armoured Bde for Ladakh along for (I) Infantry Bde each for Ladakh and Uttarakhand area.
weren't the light tanks (RFI for which was floated sometime back) meant for ladakh ?
But if we can place MBTs( even if they are T-series ) over there, then what is the point of light tanks ? Someone please explain.
Jaybhatt
BRFite

Post by Jaybhatt »

http://www.rediff.com/news/report/new-a ... 120901.htm
____________________________________________________________________________________________
There we go again. Is this a "wielding of the broom", a mere "reshuffle" or something else ?

Is this all kosher ?
jai
BRFite

Post by jai »

Please see the updated post below, unable to delete this one.
Last edited by jai on 04 Sep 2012 20:36, edited 1 time in total.
jai
BRFite

Post by jai »

Dear All,

We finally won, this matter was not merely a case but a mission for us!!! 

And our patience and efforts were tried to the extreme... despite the earlier final order of the Supreme Court, the fruits of success kept on all alluding us since the UOI chose to take the most unusual course of persuing a recall application, which was heard on several dates over the last 2 years. 

Today, after marathon arguments from morning till rising of the day and several anxious moments of flips and flops, the Judges were finally convinced and saw through the flimsy excuses of the Govt.

It is my priviledge and pleasure to announce that justice finally prevailed, please see the following note for details and circulate to all retired and serving officers and their kin so they can finally get their dues. 

Bhati Assiciates - a registered law firm

LANDMARK DAY FOR DEFENCE OFFICERS- RANK PAY CASE

Subject : I.A. NO. 9 IN T.P. (Civil) 56 of 2007 – UOI & Others Versus N.K. Nair & Others.

• The aforesaid matter along with connected matter came up for hearing before the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India before a Bench of Hon’ble Mr. Justice R.M. Lodha, Mr. Justice T.S. Thakur and Mr. Justice Anil R. Dave before Court No.7, Item No. 9 today i.e. 04.09.2012. 

• This was an application filed by UOI for modification/directions/recall of order dated 08.03.2010 passed by this Hon’ble Court in T.P. (Civil) No. 56 of 2007 and other writ petitions, by which the Hon’ble Supreme Court had agreed with the reasoning of the Kerala High Court in the case of Major Dhanapalan and directed proper fixation of rank pay from 01.01.1986 and interest @ 6% per annum.

• The core issue in these petitions is with regard to the wrong fixation of rank pay awarded by the Fourth Pay Commission by the Union of India.

• The background to the core issue is that in the fourth pay commission, the element of rank pay was introduced for all ranks from Captain to Brigadier in the Army and their equivalent ranks in the Air Force and Navy, in addition to pay in the integrated scale. The rationale of this was to make the Armed Forces an attractive career option and to continue the edge that was always provided to the defence officers vis-à-vis their civilian counterparts, owing to the difficult and challenging nature of job profile.  

• However, at the time of fixation, the rank pay was first deducted to arrive at the total emoluments and thereafter added after fixation in the integrated scale. This ensured that the final fixation of the total pay of the officer became at par with his civilian counterpart and the edge was neutralized during fixation.

• The issue is particularly significant since the services have a longstanding grievance that they get a raw deal from the bureaucrats who have systematically worked on ensuring that the historic edge that the defence officers had with respect to their  civilian counterparts is first neutralized and eventually reversed. Interestingly, in this case also the Armed Forces (Army-Navy and Air Force) and the Chiefs of Staff Committee had recommended not to persue the litigation further, however, the Ministry of Defence chose to press the application for recall on several grounds including a total financial liability of about Rs. 1600 crores. 

• Major A.K. Dhanapalan was the first officer to challenge this erroneous fixation before the Hon’ble Kerala High Court in O.P. No. 2448/2006. The Hon’ble Single Judge, Kerala High Court vide order dated 05.10.1998 found no justification in deducting the rank pay and directed the UOI to re-fix the pay without deducting the rank pay. The Hon’ble Division Bench of the High Court also affirmed finding of the Ld. Single Judge and dismissed the Writ Appeal No. 518/1999 of UOI vide order dated 04.07.2003. The UOI challenged the dismissal before the Hon’ble Supreme Court which was also dismissed vide order dated 12.07.2005 in SLP (Civil) No. CC-5908/2005.

• Thereafter, several petitions were filed by similarly placed officers before different High Courts and different benches of Armed Forces Tribunal. However, because of the pendency of the aforesaid I.A., the entire issue was in limbo and no benefit had been granted to the deserving officers, apart from the individual case of Major A.K. Dhanapalan.

• Today, the Hon’ble Supreme Court dismissed the Application of Union of India finding no merits or grounds. While doing so, the Hon’ble Supreme Court has also directed the UOI to re-fix the pay of affected officers from 01.01.1986, without deducting the rank pay. 

• The Hon’ble Supreme Court has also directed the UOI to pay interest @ 6% p.a. from 01.01.2006 to all the officers, whether or not they have filed any petition before any of the High Courts or Benches of Armed Forces Tribunal, within 12 weeks from today. The Hon’ble Court has also directed that all pending petitions before any of the High Courts or Benches of Armed Forces Tribunal, by similarly placed officers will be governed by this order. 

• This order of the Hon’ble Supreme Court will benefit a large number of officers who were in the rank of Captain to Brigadier in the Army and equivalent ranks in the Air Force and Navy, between 01.01.1986 to 01.01.2006.

• The matter was argued by the Ld. Solicitor General for India on behalf of UOI and defended by Mr. Mahabir Singh, Sr. Advocate, Gp Capt Karan Singh Bhati, Advocate-on-record and Ms Aishwarya Bhati, Advocate-on-record on behalf of a large number of individual officers and officers associations.
Jaybhatt
BRFite

Post by Jaybhatt »

[quote="jai"]Dear All,

We finally won, this matter was not merely a case but a mission for us!!! [quote]

Well done. Heartiest congratulations. Satyameva jayate, after all.

Will try and download the full judgement from the Supreme Court site after a few days.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

jai wrote:Dear All,

We finally won, this matter was not merely a case but a mission for us!!! 

• Today, the Hon’ble Supreme Court dismissed the Application of Union of India finding no merits or grounds. While doing so, the Hon’ble Supreme Court has also directed the UOI to re-fix the pay of affected officers from 01.01.1986, without deducting the rank pay. 

• The Hon’ble Supreme Court has also directed the UOI to pay interest @ 6% p.a. from 01.01.2006 to all the officers, whether or not they have filed any petition before any of the High Courts or Benches of Armed Forces Tribunal, within 12 weeks from today. The Hon’ble Court has also directed that all pending petitions before any of the High Courts or Benches of Armed Forces Tribunal, by similarly placed officers will be governed by this order. 

• This order of the Hon’ble Supreme Court will benefit a large number of officers who were in the rank of Captain to Brigadier in the Army and equivalent ranks in the Air Force and Navy, between 01.01.1986 to 01.01.2006.
Thats a great news. Congrates.
Kapil
Webmaster BR

Post by Kapil »

Hi Rohit, sorry!
Had to go out of town at short notice and forgot to check this thread.
Surya has a habit of giving me more 'bhaav' than due but I aint complaining.
Will mail you Rohit,so we can stay in touch.
We'll even classify Constant Peg as "RV with RV" 8)
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

A decent article by Nitin Gokhale although the title is a unnecessary
dealing with the growing HR management issue the army is facing.

http://www.rediff.com/news/column/why-i ... 120905.htm
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

In continuation of previous post on my blog (Indian Army-Canal Crossing Operations), Part-II covering the bridging equipment of the army. There are also couple of excellent videos of river crossing exercise by Russian Army.

http://vatsrohit.blogspot.in/2012/09/in ... on-ii.html

The topic is something I've studied for the first time while putting together the above post. So, please, if anyone has more information or if any aspect of details covered by me is wrong/out-dated, please feel free to give your feedback here on BRF or in comments section. This way, we can build a single repository of information on the subject.
kancha
BRFite

Post by kancha »

Gurus,
Can anyone pl throw some light on this?

Pay Rs1600 Cr Arrears to Army Officers - SC
jai
BRFite

Post by jai »

kancha wrote:Gurus,
Can anyone pl throw some light on this?

Pay Rs1600 Cr Arrears to Army Officers - SC

Please read my post above.
kancha
BRFite

Post by kancha »

Thanks Jai.
Is there any other recourse still available to the govt to challenge this judgement again?
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

Thanks for the link Jai.
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

kancha wrote:Thanks Jai.
Is there any other recourse still available to the govt to challenge this judgement again?
The govt had appealed the decision and has now lost it so AFAIK, it has no recourse. However, one can't put anything beyond these characters. This same GoI has subverted supreme court verdicts before, most notably the one upholding the IMDT Act.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

rohitvats wrote:In continuation of previous post on my blog (Indian Army-Canal Crossing Operations), Part-II covering the bridging equipment of the army. There are also couple of excellent videos of river crossing exercise by Russian Army.

http://vatsrohit.blogspot.in/2012/09/in ... on-ii.html

The topic is something I've studied for the first time while putting together the above post. So, please, if anyone has more information or if any aspect of details covered by me is wrong/out-dated, please feel free to give your feedback here on BRF or in comments section. This way, we can build a single repository of information on the subject.
how do you want the pics we discussed ?
email or what ?
can private message me or something

thanks
Khalsa
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

Defence matters - Lt Gen Harwant Singh (retd)
The union ministry of defence (MoD) continues to work against the military's interests. This sustained attitude and practice of the MoD has created deep fissures in its relationship with the military. There is palpable mistrust of the ministry among the armed forces.
While the union ministry of home affairs fights tooth and nail to protect interests of, say central police organisations (CPOs - inappropriately called paramilitary), the MoD operates in a motivated and deliberate manner against interests of the military. This adversarial stance of the MoD has been more visible in the case of successive Central Pay Commissions (CPCs).

Defence services personnel posted in, say Siliguri (not an insurgency area), are not entitled to any extra allowances, whereas the CPOs are. In insurgency-hit areas, army officers and men of special forces get allowances from Rs. 800 to Rs. 1,200 per month, CPOs (their special forces such as Cobras, Greyhounds) get Rs. 7,200 to Rs. 11,000 per month.

Central services officers, when posted in the northeast, get 12.5% of the basic pay as special duty allowance, with double HRA (house rent allowance). For IAS officers, the allowance is 25% of the basic pay. There are no such allowances for defence personnel. While many other disparities can be listed, the case of grant of Non-Functional Advancement largesse to all central services officers by the Sixth CPC but not to defence officers is simply scandalous.

In every CPC, the MoD, instead of promoting the military's cause, played a negative role. Every case of injustice fought and won by military personnel in lower courts has been contested by the MoD in higher courts. So much so that in such cases, the MoD has been seeking review of Supreme Court judgments as well. Often, it has compelled the army headquarters to join hands with the ministry in seeking such reviews from the highest court in, for example, the case of pension of Majors General.

During my briefing of the Prime Minister at the Raj Bhawan in Chandigarh, besides other issues, I brought to his notice making service headquarters party to these review petitions and the dangers of this gameplan. There is great bonding between veterans and serving personnel, which is unique to the military. Any mistrust in this bonding will be deleterious and affect the morale of those in service. I followed this up with a detailed letter to the PM, highlighting these issues, to which a wishy-washy reply was received.

The most wicked and despicable case is that of deduction of rank pay, as granted by the Fourth Pay Commission to officers up to the rank of brigadier. This was the exclusive machination of the MoD in collaboration with the Controller of Defence Accounts (Officers). One gutsy Major fought the case right up to the Supreme Court to get his rank pay from 1986 onwards. All through, the MoD opposed the case and now, when some spirited officers took up the case on behalf of all affected officers, the ministry conveyed to the highest court that the armed forces headquarters, too, were against grant of rank pay.

When the service headquarters told the Attorney General in writing that there was no opposition from them and instead they fully supported the cause, the MoD tried to arm-twist the service headquarters. Now that the Supreme Court has settled this case, those who played this mischief need to be identified and taken to task, including those who have since retired.

From the Fourth Pay Commission onwards, the services have been putting up their cases before this august body, but support from the MoD has been negative and that is how defence services were downgraded every time. In the case of the Sixth Pay Commission, there are 39 anomalies pertaining to the defence services which are yet to be resolved. If a career in the armed forces has become the last choice for the youth of the country, the MoD has played a key role in this degradation of the military.

Handling of a simple case of age of the previous army chief is a more recent example of cussedness in the MoD's attitude. While the issue was attracting national attention, somewhat mischievously were floated the cases of "wire tapping" of the defence minister's office, a military coup and leak of a top-secret letter from the Chief of Army Staff to the PM. While the first two failed miserably, the last bounced back on the government. The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is still to tell the nation as to who leaked this letter.
A Sharma
BRFite

Post by A Sharma »

Paradrop training along LAC to check China

NEW DELHI: India is quietly practising airdrops of paratroopers in high-altitude areas near the Line of Actual Control (LAC) to bolster operational readiness. The combat drills are a part of the overall plan to strategically counter China's massive build-up of military infrastructure all along the unresolved border.

A major milestone in the ongoing endeavour was achieved just before Chinese defence minister General Liang Guanglie's visit to India last week when the first-ever "static line paradrop" from a heavy-lift Ilyushin-76 aircraft was conducted at Nyoma on August 29, sources said.

The advanced landing ground (ALG) at Nyoma in eastern Ladakh, located just 23 km from the LAC at an altitude of over 13,300 feet, was re-activated when a medium-lift Antonov-32 transport aircraft landed there in September 2009.

Since then, there have been other AN-32 landings at the airstrip as well as joint IAF-Army airdrops in the area. "But August 29 was the first time when the 'static line paradrop' (when parachutes, linked to the plane with cords, open on exit in classic airborne infantry mode) was successfully conducted by an IL-76," said a source.

The airdrop, with a mix of 20 Army and IAF paratroopers jumping from a record altitude of over 15,000 feet, was conducted by the 'Mighty Jets' IL-76 squadron after months of planning at the Chandigarh airbase and the Delhi-based Western Air Command.

"Though Nyoma's location is of immense strategic significance, the hazards of treacherous terrain and weather had to be kept in mind. An IL-76 can carry over 120 combat-ready paratroopers, which is three times more than an AN-32," the source said.

IAF has also already chalked out a detailed Rs 3,500 crore project, though it is yet to recieve the finance ministry's nod, to upgrade the Nyoma ALG into a "full-fledged airbase" with a 12,000 feet runway capable of handling all kinds of aircraft to ensure "both defensive and offensive options" in the sector.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

To amend ACRs, ex-Army chief gave himself sweeping powers

Wouldn't trust IE reportage on IA or VKS matters but still, this doesn't look good if it can be verified.