India Border Watch: Security and Operations

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
nirav
BRF Oldie

Re: India Border Watch: Security and Operations

Post by nirav »

Border with pakis is hot again..
Been reading about it on yawn from sometime now..
It's surprising our media ain't covering it..
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Guddu wrote:Its good that the govt is strengthening the border with China. However, its also possible that the govt expects a major war (teachable moment) with pak in the next year or so and are covering their weaknesses. Note the somewhat hurried purchases of armaments (bullets and bombs etc) mentioned in the news a few weeks ago. I hope this is in preparation of a definitive retaliation to Pak.
My thinking as well. When we were filling up our strategic oil reserves, I don't think too much into it as it was default we had to do. But recent signing of $3B worth of "emergency" ammunition and equipment does indicate so.
ranjan.rao
BRFite

Post by ranjan.rao »

^^ My viewpoint on this is also the same
1. it has been quite sometime before a major terror likes of Mumbai attack took place. It is not a question of if just a matter of when. We may have foiled many such in past but that may not hold true in future. This may also be used as a diversionary tactic by China in case of any SCS escalation to raise the Nuke bogey and use their good offices in porkistan to strike a deal with trumpanzee and come across as a good samaraitarian
2. Positioning for future elections
VKumar
BRFite

Post by VKumar »

4 jawans and 1 Major martyred in Kashmir today. Everyday terrorist attacks are on the rise. Also stone throwing in security forces fighting the terrorists. To my mind, it appears that remonetization of Kashmir is complete. In other words SNAFU.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

ANIVerified account‏@ANI_news
Three Army personnel and a civilian have lost their lives in the terror attack in Shopian(J&K)
Whatever happened to offensive defense? This is getting regular news. We are being attacked with impunity. Single surgical strike hardly has any effect now.
Bheeshma
BRFite

Post by Bheeshma »

What did you think all the IED mubbaraks were? The IA is regularly bashing pakabis inside PoK at LoC. I expect a few more IED mubaraks in pakjab soon.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Bheeshma, I get your point. Assuming mubaraks are by us, are mubaraks getting India's most wanted men there?
Bheeshma
BRFite

Post by Bheeshma »

True Hafiz suar must be the target even if it means killing 200 odd bystanders. Lets wait and see.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

VKumar wrote:4 jawans and 1 Major martyred in Kashmir today. Everyday terrorist attacks are on the rise. Also stone throwing in security forces fighting the terrorists. To my mind, it appears that remonetization of Kashmir is complete. In other words SNAFU.
I think I too over credited the effect of deMO on Kashmir.
The resolve of well taught jihadi crossing the border with an AK + othe rsupplies to attack must be broken in other ways.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Indian Air Force to acquire at least 60 Airbus C-295 transport aircraft
http://indianewengland.com/2017/03/indi ... -aircraft/
Official sources indicated that the BSF is also looking at four Airbus C-295s
https://twitter.com/ETDefence/status/845268413001994241
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

http://www.dailypioneer.com/nation/pak- ... awans.html
To counter Indian Army’s aggressive posture along the Line of Control Pakistan Army is learnt to have rushed ‘snipers’ (sharp shooters) to all its forward posts to target Indian jawans.

In the last six months more than one dozen Indian soldiers have lost their lives in different sniping incidents.

On Tuesday an Indian soldier deployed at a forward post in Bhimbder Gali area of Poonch was targeted from across the Line of Control by jawans of Pak Army’s 650 Mujahid.

Defence Spokesman in Jammu, however, denied reports of sniping.

These snipers remain parked at odd locations close to the forward posts to target Indian jawans proceeding on long patrols and forward locations.

When border skirmishes peaked in the aftermath of Surgical strikes by the elite Indian commandos the jawans were even directed to use trenches to move between bunkers across all the forward posts. These instructions were given to the post commanders to minimise the risk factor. These instructions were issued after closely observing a pattern of sniper attacks by the Pak Army from across the LoC.

Late monday night another Indian jawan lost his life in ‘accidental’ firing while he was moving through communication trench on the orders of post commander in Mendhar sector.

In comparison to Indian Army, Pak Army relies more on their team of snipers to target enemy jawans.

According to official sources not more than 2 snipers are attached with one Batallion deployed along the LoC.

Indian snipers follow the simple mantra dushman shikar hum shikari, while keeping a watch on the movement of enemy posts from a forward location.

Armed with high precision sniper rifle these sharp shooters are an asset of a unit deployed on the Line of Control. They have the capacity to shoot a target of 1,200 metres away and prevent any physical assault on own post.

On the other hand snipers of Pak Army can target the forward Indian posts from a distance ranging between 1 km to 2 km using their high precision sniper rifles.

In some areas Pak Army soldiers even enjoy the advantage of high altitude and can easily target routine movement of Indian jawans inside their posts.

According to official sources, Sepoy Sudesh Kumar of 6 Rajput was killed by a Pak sniper, a fortnight after the surgical strikes on October 16. Kumar was on patrol duty along the LoC in Rajouri when he was hit by a sniper. A week later BSF jawan Gurnam Singh was killed along the International border on October 21. He was shot in the head in Hiranagar sector, Jammu.

Rifleman Sandeep Singh Rawat was hit in the neck, killing him instantly as he stood guard along the fence in the Kupwara sector on November 9, 2016.

On March 9 this year, sepoy Deepak Jagannath Ghadge of Maharashtra died after he was hit by a similar sniper fire by Pakistani troops in Gulpur area of Poonch.

On April 2, a JCO was killed in an IED blast near the LoC in Poonch district. It was suspected that the mine was planted by ‘rogue’ elements from Pakistan inside the Indian territory to inflict casualties.

A few months ago, an internal report of the Army HQ had clearly stated, “Snipers are force multipliers to any infantry battalion. The high standard of sniper training and their imaginative employment leads to decisive and out-of-proportion results.”

In view of the rising incidents of sniper fire from Pakistan, even the BSF has taken preventive measures such as placing nets in border outposts and observation posts.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Always behind the curve, we should have acquired Vidvanshak in Numbers, atleast target thier posts, I think it is imperative that we make the 0-5km of Pakistani side of LOC free of people, army and civilian with overwhelming fire power
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Snipers hitting targets at 2 km ?

What kind of dorks write these articles ?
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Longest sniper shot record belong to the brits at 2.47 KM.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

jamwal wrote:Snipers hitting targets at 2 km ?

1. Corporal of Horse (CoH) Craig Harrison, Household Cavalry (UK)
Distance: 2,707 yd
Date: November 2009
Firearm: Accuracy International L115A3
Ammunition: .338 Lapua Magnum LockBase B408 bullets
Conflict: War in Afghanistan

To see the next 9 longest records please click
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

I know of Indian Army sniper hitting target at 3KM in the LoC mountains. So British claim cannot be the best.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

I know about these long shots and they are in records for a reason, because it's very very difficult for a normal sniper to hit targets this far. Specially in high wind conditions we have in mountainous border areas.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

nam wrote:I know of Indian Army sniper hitting target at 3KM in the LoC mountains. So British claim cannot be the best.
:mrgreen: Really 3 km ? What kind of bullet will travel for 3 km ?
dinesh_kimar
BRFite

Post by dinesh_kimar »

^ Russian weapons like PKM 7.62 mm GPMG and KPV 14.5 mm HMG are used by the IA and have the capability, at the maximum limits of their performance.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Maximum firing range of the gun is not same as effective range. Sure the bullet can go as far as 3000 m or more. But in real life, a shooter can shoot targets with some amount of certainty to half or less than half this range only. These guns you mentioned are machine guns anyway.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

jamwal wrote:
nam wrote:I know of Indian Army sniper hitting target at 3KM in the LoC mountains. So British claim cannot be the best.
:mrgreen: Really 3 km ? What kind of bullet will travel for 3 km ?
Brits fired 2.5 km in Afghanistan, Adbul Qyam from PARA-SF got the IA bullet to travel 3Km towards a Paki post at 10K feet. I wanted to say 4km, but 3 made it more believable :D

Ever since discovery,history channel & Internet started broadcasting in English, the best snipers of the world have been unusually Americans and brits. :rotfl:

The SAS even wrote a whole book about an op in Gulf War, which did not even happen ! And history channel wants us to believe that a sniper is fiddling around with targets at 2.5 km in a life & death situation ....where 99.9% of the shots miss
dinesh_kimar
BRFite

Post by dinesh_kimar »

are machine guns anyway
^

And so were the Brit/ US guns used upto 2.5 km. IIRC, the US sniper used a Browning 50 Cal MG, during the Vietnam war.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

Exactly. The article makes it seem that 2 km shots are extremely normal. In reality the no. of shooters who can consistently engage targets at 2 kms will be low hundreds( I am talking of the whole world including both civilian and military shooters. Add special forces too.)
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

dinesh_kimar wrote:^ Russian weapons like PKM 7.62 mm GPMG and KPV 14.5 mm HMG are used by the IA and have the capability, at the maximum limits of their performance.
Seriously? There is a difference between intentionally shooting a target with precision at that range, and getting a bullet to a particular distance in a general direction of the target.

Also the PKM and other machine guns are for laying down suppressing fire, they would make a really poor long-range sniper system, and that is by design.
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

darshhan wrote:

Exactly. The article makes it seem that 2 km shots are extremely normal. In reality the no. of shooters who can consistently engage targets at 2 kms will be low hundreds( I am talking of the whole world including both civilian and military shooters. Add special forces too.)
True. One might be lucky to get these shots once every couple of years after firing hundreds of shots. Few mm error in calculation at this range can prove shit useless.

Btw, i would give Gatling guns mounted with high powered day and night scopes to counter those pigs. Once spotted they can meet their houris and so does the helo which comes to pic it up..
dinesh_kimar
BRFite

Post by dinesh_kimar »

Guys, the only hardware in the inventory capable of reaching this distance of 3 km is the PKM and KPV.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Poonch ceasefire violation: Two Indian soldiers killed in Pak firing
Poonch [India], May. 1 (ANI): Two defence personnel have been killed, as Pakistan violated ceasefire today by opening fire on Border Security Force (BSF) posts in Poonch, Jammu and Kashmir.

The firing began at 8:30 a.m. as Pakistan used rocket launchers and automatic weapons on Indian posts.

An Indian Army personnel has been killed, along with a BSF head constable, who succumbed to his injuries.

A massive gunbattle is underway, as Indian forces are retaliating heavily.
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/pakistan ... my-1688127
Pakistan Mutilates Bodies of 2 Indian Soldiers; Despicable Act, Says Army
SajeevJino
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SajeevJino »

So whats next, we have to continue beating the war drums

well atleast we can see some netizens comes front and speak something, because the bodies were mutilated, otherwise they not even come, same goes to the Political leadership, I sure these political shits don't have any balls, they all same either congress or BJP, no one has a ball to take action to kill those terrorists establishments in PoK, fukin government deep concerned about saving thier ass from dumb human rights shits to ensure keep their name in Saint list

We have such a big army and weapons, but we have to retaliate in internet, ambassador level and some other shit

Enough of this,...send the Political cunts son's to border and sit in the ball less PM and Cabinet Chair

fuk the condolance, come to street and pay respects and ask the govt to take any necessary actions
DrRatnadip
BRFite

Post by DrRatnadip »

I think we do have enough military capability to punish paki fauj..what we lack is the mentality to accept loss..pakis have nothing to loose..They are born beggers..If we do anything less than complete destuction of pak as a nation they will continue begging and also keep teaching paki abduls how they won war against India..

We on other hand have too much to loose economicaly..I think this is what makes GOI to play on backfoot..Our limit of accepting pin pricks by pakistan has gone up over the years..I am sure local army commanders will punish pakis with artillery/covert ops but national will to go for all out war is lacking..We are just not ready to face whatever negative impact it will have on our economy..

Sadly loss of brave soldiers is going to continue till we are economicaly strong enough to absorb all negative impact/ or make it a national mission to balkanize pak and take back POK..

This is my personal view..
Last edited by DrRatnadip on 01 May 2017 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
VKumar
BRFite

Post by VKumar »

Next 15 years are crucial for India and Hindus. Raise both economy and armed strength. Meanwhile Pakistan keeps going south - becoming a colony of China, with its attendant costs to China. Chinese getting more restive with civil rights, internal strife such as in Sinkiang, Tibet. Support Baluchistan freedom movement, independence of Afghanistan, support movements in GB, POK, SINDH.

Slowly, slowly the screws turn. Its a challenge to keep going at this level next 15 years with a Hindutava government.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

dinesh_kimar wrote:^ Russian weapons like PKM 7.62 mm GPMG and KPV 14.5 mm HMG are used by the IA and have the capability, at the maximum limits of their performance.
If SVD cannot hit at those ranges then how do you expect PKM to hit those ranges while using the same ammunition.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

VKumar wrote:Slowly, slowly the screws turn. Its a challenge to keep going at this level next 15 years with a Hindutava government.
When I was in BRF 15 years back , We used to have similar discussion and some of us used to tell us we need 10-15 years after that we would be economically stronger and militarily stronger to take care of Pakistan and its dirty tricks.

Fast forward 15 years later we are told the same thing between then and now we lost countless soldiers in all form of attacks and many civilians , If there is something we cant do it today how is that 15 years from now we can do that ?
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Imagine Israelis saying same thing in 1960s, 70s and 80s (operation opera) that we'll wait for 15 years .....
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

If economy was everything, then NoKo, Syria, Russia etc all would have been invaded and destroyed by US.

India is 2nd most populous state in the world, the only power holding us back is the one in Delhi. You need to be able to take hard decisions and deliver hard punches.

I do believe we have the right government at the centre, however, they alone cannot change the whole system overnight. The whole chain from minister, to ministry, to armed force HQ down to the company need to work in a certain direction that comes with years of practice and execution.

Lets not forget 2016, when the surgical strikes took place in J&K, or 2015 when we effect that in Myanmar. We have the talent and technology but its not a well oiled fighting machine.
Tamang
BRFite

Post by Tamang »

Things look impossible to achieve until they are acted upon. Completely agree with Karthik's argument above.

We need to hit them hard in full public glare each time they cause harm to us. We must also be proactively working to make them implode from inside. Give assistance to all groups willing to kill Paki security forces. I have been disappointed with Modi-Doval combo on Pakistan, still have hope though.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

VKumar wrote:Next 15 years are crucial for India and Hindus. Raise both economy and armed strength. Meanwhile Pakistan keeps going south - becoming a colony of China, with its attendant costs to China. Chinese getting more restive with civil rights, internal strife such as in Sinkiang, Tibet. Support Baluchistan freedom movement, independence of Afghanistan, support movements in GB, POK, SINDH.

Slowly, slowly the screws turn. Its a challenge to keep going at this level next 15 years with a Hindutava government.
reminds me of an old chinese saying, the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is now. completely agree with austin on this. Unless we start jolting porkistan no one will take us seriously.
VKumar
BRFite

Post by VKumar »

It is only since 2014 that we have a nationalistic government and not 15 years ago. In the last 15 years our defence preparedness and economy have suffered and being revived recently. Let us give credit for sagacity to our leaders. Not all of them are wimps or mir jaffars. I see us getting stronger and more confident in our relationship with our neighbors. Dalai Lama visited AP recently despite strong protests by China. We are showing moral and political support to Baluchistan. Our relationship with Vietnam, Mongolia, South Korea, Japan is improving. We need to respond to pinpricks in an astute manner. Not throw away our future, which is what every other nation would like to see.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Government gives Army free hand to avenge Pakistan's mutilation act: Sources
Government sources on Monday said the Indian Army has been given a free hand to respond to the fresh beheading, with defence minister Arun Jaitley holding that the sacrifice of the two Indian men in uniform would not go in vain.

The Army, on its part, promised "appropriate" retribution for the "despicable act". General Bipin Rawat, incidentally, was in the Kashmir Valley on Monday to review the operational situation along the LoC as well as the counter-insurgency operations in the hinterland.

"While fire assaults are already under way in different sectors of the LoC, the retaliation for Pakistan army's unsoldierly act in mutilating the bodies will be well-planned and executed at a time and place of our choosing," said a senior officer.