IRNSS Launch and Discussions

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
PratikDas
BRFite

Re: IRNSS Launch and Discussions

Post by PratikDas »

Yes, Krishnan-ji, I am familiar with the fact that GAGAN is based on GPS. The end-user (civilian) doesn't care that GPS is American rather the end-user would want a cheaper phone with built in positioning (IRNSS or GPS with GAGAN). I would love to see IRNSS flourish but at least one Indian semiconductor designer has to step up and deliver a super cheap receiver. Perhaps Accord Software & Systems of Bangalore, the team behind the G3OM receiver, is best positioned to make this happen for India.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

Me thinks the main users will be the military. And in applications which is driven by the government such as in agriculture etc. The free market won't adopt it over the GPS/GAGAN unless there are advantages or at least they are at par. Remember the goggle earth/maps alternative that ISRO has launched a fee years ago.
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

This is the second launch which I saw start to end

Congrats ISRO

If IRNSS can be commericalized, there would be huge market. Few months back there was a program in a malayalam channel about fishing in the sea. I was stunned to see the number of electronic equipments that humble boat had to locate fish. i would say a good market awaits IRNSS if properly done
vasu raya
BRFite

Post by vasu raya »

Congragulations ISRO!

This is first night launch for a desi rocket I guess, most missiles tests were during daytime only

more applications,
Farm land survey coordinates
Speed monitoring on highways
Backup system for train position, have end markers as well
Wildlife conservation, IRNSS tag the elephant herds, maybe the matriarch, so somebody knows when they are near rail tracks or rampaging farms & remote villages. Rangers and UAVs can better track them and perhaps be a step ahead of the poachers
if elevation data is accurate then water level monitoring of remote lakes by deploying a IRNSS sensor on a buoy, for Himalayas if they are on verge of a cascade, people can be more informed
Enable night ops of choppers in hilly terrain

first they should find a more user friendly name than the acronym IRNSS
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

ok...as usual another PSLV success :D Congrats
But can they please provide a better , high resolution launch video of rocket from multiple angles . High time to take care
of such a request for PSLV (please don't talk about cost and all :P , only 3 - 4 extra cameras at better angle for live telecast)

yaha to rocket uda nahi ki graph dikhana shuru kar diye :)
member_20317
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20317 »

disha wrote: More importantly, within India - over the next decade or two, will lead to an explosion in domestic market on IRNSS application. My wish is to see apps that will tell a doodhwala the nearest center where there is no milk of a particular kind and charts the course for that doodhwala. Further, the doodhwala will pour the milk into the "center"., which will dole out cash (based on the fat content and the amount of milk)., the center will "package" it and the next person puts in cash and takes milk out for his family., for a good cuppa chai. The technology exists now.

OK congratulations everybody.

A home grown Excalibur type round could be the el cheepo solution for all Kargils. Pinaka and Prahaar could be the real meat cleaver solutions now. Got to stock at least 100000 rounds. Disaster and rescue management like in Uttarakhand and then the ever present danger of trains collision and wrongful stoppages not properly tracked.

The most exciting usage scenario that I could think of is as follows:

Presume Pakis having started their drama. Now imagine a non-stealth Nirbhay launched from somewhere in Rajasthan, racing towards Karachi/Gwadar with three receivers IRNSS+GLONASS+GPS. Moment and place of launch made knows to all the world powers by the simple act of not having stealthed anything from their spy sats. Now see which tracking system blinks first. Mmmaaawwwhhhhaaaa. I guess hollywood can make a movie out of it. Dicey head nodding always sweet Indians acting all unpredictable and Captain Amerika saving a trillion Pakis and facilitating the Piss process with Man Mohan Singh. All hail Capitaan Amerika.

One thing that I find strange is how the hell does PSLV work so well. Is it some alien technology seized from the office of MIB.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I don't think we need to restrict use to taxi mgmt or transportation. We could be make cheaper transceiver chip, on every device we sell in desh. Elders can wear something like a watch or necklace and be tracked, kids can be tracked, and from the data collected, we could get the data density distribution graphs, and come up with prediction models for traffic management. babooze can be tracked and checked where they are at what times, exotic animals can be tracked.. device can be standard on all vehicles, ships, and flights. one can set alert notification when certain data points collected measures to what you are looking for, e.g. send email when the bus reaches destination y. endless apps.
tushar_m

Post by tushar_m »

pic's of the new guy in space

did anyone have the launch video ???
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

congrats ISRO
vasu raya
BRFite

Post by vasu raya »

Apps:

Micro level airspace management where they can define flying zones based on weather, change those zone boundaries based on changes in weather in realtime

AERCAB - Aircrew Escape/Rescue Capability System uses cruise missile technology
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Today dhoti clad, chappal wearing folks put a navigation satellite into orbit.. We have come a long way from having rockets taken by bullock carts to launch pad in the 60s.

As for Rodina lovers, who could sneer at the dhoti wallahs about how high and mighty they are /were , well, here is an example of how extreme G maneuvers Rodina's launch vehicle pulled in yesterday's launch, while the Yindoos were shivering in their dhotis in the night at Sriharikota.

Sabyasachi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sabyasachi »

disha wrote:Until most of the IRNSS capacity is created, any question to sync the present wpn systems to use IRNSS will be pre-mature. First the IRNSS has to be up there, while it is getting up there, sub-systems has to be designed and tested and accepted. Once the whole system is up there, reliable and the subsystems dependent upon it are tested & accepted then they will be "incorporated" into "existing wpn systems" as part of the upgrade cycle.

So lot of ways to go.

Beyond millitary applications, what are the domestic applications one can thing about?

I gave two now., doodhwala and engineer siting a mobile tower say. Both are current and tech available. What other?

Many thanks for the answer.

I hope we be able to do it within next ~5-8 years, our new cruise missiles et al and other military systems (indigenous) will start using it even faster after the desired strength of satellites is up and running.

For civilian use I can foresee our cities getting bigger surrounded with 10s and 100s of suburbs connected with massive road network.
IRNSS will help navigation of cars, taxis and buses easier. Mode of public transport becoming more organized and secure/reliable. But then the same can be done with GPS once any company take pains of developing Indian road maps and making a software. It is available even today for cars for 20 to 30K rupees cost, I think.

I use my navigator Tomtom with spoken street name/voice command and 2D map to move from one place to another without worrying about remembering the rout. It gives me shortest rout and sometimes a rout without toll :) .

Taxi companies keeping an eye on their fleet, KM traveled, fuel consumption and ultimately making it safe for both passenger and driver, is another civilian use I can think for now.
Atri
BRF Oldie

Post by Atri »

Mast Khabar. In the days when everything in politics is almost gloomy, ISRO never fails to put a smile back on face and feel good...

haardik Abhinandan, ISRO.. :) Jiyo !!!!
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

So its given that they have already developed the receivers and would be testing it before releasing it for usage with defence, civil use would be allowed much later
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Press Release from ISRO
July 02, 2013
PSLV-C22 Successfully Launches IRNSS-1A, India's First Navigation Satellite

ISRO's Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle, PSLV-C22, successfully launched IRNSS-1A, the first satellite in the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS), in the early morning hours of today (July 2, 2013) from Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota. This is the twenty third consecutively successful mission of PSLV. The 'XL' configuration of PSLV was used for the mission. Previously, the same configuration of the vehicle was used thrice to launch Chandrayaan-1, GSAT-12 and RISAT-1 satellites.

At the completion of the countdown, PSLV-C22 lifted off from the First Launch Pad at 23:41 hrs IST yesterday (July 1, 2013) with the ignition of the first stage and four strap-on motors of the launch vehicle. The important flight events, namely, stage and strap-on ignitions, heat-shield separation, stage and strap-on separations and satellite injection took place exactly as planned. After a flight of 20 minutes 17 seconds, the IRNSS-1A Satellite, weighing 1425 kg, was injected to the intended elliptical orbit of 282.46 km X 20,625.37 km.

After injection, the solar panels of IRNSS-1A were deployed automatically. ISRO's Master Control Facility (at Hassan, Karnataka) assumed the control of the satellite. In the coming days, five orbit maneuvers will be conducted from Master Control Facility to position the satellite in its Geosynchronous Circular Orbit at 55 deg East longitude.

IRNSS-1A is the first of the seven satellites constituting the space segment of the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System. IRNSS is an independent regional navigation satellite system designed to provide position information in the Indian region and 1500 km around the Indian mainland. IRNSS would provide two types of services, namely, Standard Positioning Services (SPS) - provided to all users - and Restricted Services (RS) provided only to authorised users.

A number of ground stations responsible for the generation and transmission of navigation parameters, satellite control, satellite ranging and monitoring, etc., have been established in as many as 15 locations across the country.

The entire IRNSS constellation of seven satellites is planned to be completed by 2015-16.

Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

A wonderful news in the midst of several gloomy news.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Atri wrote:Mast Khabar. In the days when everything in politics is almost gloomy, ISRO never fails to put a smile back on face and feel good...

haardik Abhinandan, ISRO.. :) Jiyo !!!!
Sometime back we took a decision to not discuss about pakis on pristine threads that is only for SDREs and pure indics. I think it is time to club our present gen babooze on paki terms. so, lets keep it at that. /ot.

---

thanks chanakya for that link: i got answer: its Geosynchronous Circular Orbit at 55 deg East longitude.
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

Meanwhile I am sure most of you must have heard that Russia's Proton M rocket carrying 3 GLONASS satellites erupts into a ball of fire and crashes seconds into its launch in Kazakhstan.

Being the God fearing dhoti shivering Hindu that I am, can't help but notice the changing fortunes.
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

[quote="tushar_m"]pic's of the new guy in space

Congrats to ISRO! Someone else mentioned that there could be 2 more IRNSS satellites launched this year itself. That doesn't sound realistic, perhaps one more is possible. Also, Tushar, that bottom picture is certainly the GSLV Mark 2. Is that the upcoming GSLV that will be launched in August, or is it an old file photo?
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

^^^^^^
I believe i heard somewhere that ISRO will test this satellite for the next 6 months and then plan for the next launch for this series.
Probably around March time frame next year
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

We should have a very high resolution pic of the PSLV launcher platform for all jingos to keep it as wall paper.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

OT. Russian rocket carrying three GLONASS satellites has exploded during launch -- CNN
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

vina wrote:Today dhoti clad, chappal wearing folks put a navigation satellite into orbit.. We have come a long way from having rockets taken by bullock carts to launch pad in the 60s.

As for Rodina lovers, who could sneer at the dhoti wallahs about how high and mighty they are /were , well, here is an example of how extreme G maneuvers Rodina's launch vehicle pulled in yesterday's launch, while the Yindoos were shivering in their dhotis in the night at Sriharikota.

OT.
Proton rockets are supposed to be very reliable.
This could well be the result of targeted energy weapon in space - snowden effect imo.
member_23658
BRFite

Post by member_23658 »

Lilo wrote:...
OT.
This could well be the result of targeted energy weapon in space - snowden effect imo.
Hmm, the rocket boosters seemed to have failed to give the required thrust, it was wobbling as it climbed up and finally toppled. so unlikely to be an mini death star like device that would have blown it up in 1 shot.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

its more like khan to introduce QC problems into space grade components sold to others.
Ariane probably runs a super-tight EU-only food chain to close the gate on that.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

^ Singha ji that too...

Anmol ji,
this is what is revealed to public domain
Experimental Laser Weapon Shoots Down Rockets, Drones
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Amol.D wrote:
Lilo wrote:...
OT.
Hmm, the rocket boosters seemed to have failed to give the required thrust, it was wobbling as it climbed up and finally toppled. so unlikely to be an mini death star like device that would have blown it up in 1 shot.
A sec or so after liftoff you can see either a flame or smoke of sorts, other than the plain simple blue flame. It starts to the left of the rocket and seems to move to the right. And as the rocket rotates towards the earth you can also see it rotate/spin - it is very prominent - something like 10 secs per rotation. I suspect there was a failure of one of the boosters/strap-ons.
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

SaiK wrote:We should have a very high resolution pic of the PSLV launcher platform for all jingos to keep it as wall paper.
Sir waiting for it for long long time and also a very good launch video :)
Also does any one have link for SLV and ASLV launch video. Please share
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Why are we having CT's of the Proton failure, Space launches are frought with risks and there will be failures
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Vasu wrote:Meanwhile I am sure most of you must have heard that Russia's Proton M rocket carrying 3 GLONASS satellites erupts into a ball of fire and crashes seconds into its launch in Kazakhstan.

Being the God fearing dhoti shivering Hindu that I am, can't help but notice the changing fortunes.
It is rocket science., of the several variables, one going wrong can jeopardize the whole mission. Do feel proud of our missions and we should be looking forward to the day when GSLV Mk III will launch 2-3 IRNSS sats in one go.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Let us not discuss Proton-M failure. Meanwhile ISRO has good mastery over PSLV., remember the mission was delayed by some 2 weeks due to the actuator glitch.

And many more miles to go. IRNSS-1 to be commissioned and 6 more launches and commissioning to go.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

disha wrote:Let us not discuss Proton-M failure. Meanwhile ISRO has good mastery over PSLV., remember the mission was delayed by some 2 weeks due to the actuator glitch.

And many more miles to go. IRNSS-1 to be commissioned and 6 more launches and commissioning to go.
+1. Kudos to the PSLV team for having an effective system diagnosis procedure in and for the vehicle. All bodes well for GSLV.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Please no gloating on the Proton failure
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

With a receiver in LEO, they can use GPS signals to profile the atmosphere using occultation method. Google on it or for COSMIC.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

YOU have come a long way baby !!!!!!!

And, while some of you were JUST taking birth (Where were you when APPLE was being transported?) .... Bell bottoms too !!!...........................

TransporterS for you ........................

And, as someone said: "These guys should start a space program !"

And ........................... they ............................... did !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Wasn't Apple launched from French Kourou? While the Space Program did not have much of a budget i am sure in the 80's a couple of hundreds Rs would not have been a problem to transport the satellite in the good old Matador!!!!
I have seen this photograph many times, indeed myself have also posted it but somehow i doubt if a fully built system (atleast a Satellite)was ever transported in a bullock cart.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Good show, any word on whether PSLV-HP would be used for future launches of IRNSS?
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

disha wrote:It is rocket science., of the several variables, one going wrong can jeopardize the whole mission. Do feel proud of our missions and we should be looking forward to the day when GSLV Mk III will launch 2-3 IRNSS sats in one go.
Desi GSLV (maiden?) launch slated for later this year, IIRC... bigtime mishti will happen from moi side (neighbours will benefit) should the GSLV 'textbook' get launched onlee...
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Wasn't Apple launched from French Kourou? While the Space Program did not have much of a budget i am sure in the 80's a couple of hundreds Rs would not have been a problem to transport the satellite in the good old Matador!!!!
I have seen this photograph many times, indeed myself have also posted it but somehow i doubt if a fully built system (atleast a Satellite)was ever transported in a bullock cart.
Well, Apple got a free ride on the Ariane as it was the first launch on the vehicle ..in fact APPLE stands for Ariane Passenger Payload Eperiment . What my uncle and other ISRO old timers said was, that back then, they didnt have the test facilities to check the vibration and shock characteristics to qualify it for launch (the satellite should survive the shock and vibrations during ascent in the launch vehicle).

So, instead what the dhoti wallahs did was put the satellite on a bullock cart and make it go across the most rutted paths and cross country across the fields and see if it survived to qualify it!

If any of you haven't been on a bullock cart, please take a ride once across a rutted path and the ride will give you an idea..