BR Forum Feedback

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Re: BR Forum Feedback

Post by KJo »

We need a Like and Dislike button feature for each post. Something like an up or down arrow.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Rahul M wrote:doesn't internal security thread cover those ?
Internal Security is very broad. The threat from religious groups is high and I think could warrant it's own thread.
member_20317
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20317 »

Having played some part in the latest derailment on Rafale thread and being sorry for the same….

@Admin,
Just so we don't push each other into early death - like 40 something bitter people and having seen everybody's pain at going through these friendly fires, here is my humble suggestion.

Why not create a GDF dhaga, a dump+posts dhaga where all the comparison stuff can go? It may not be wise to not allow grown up men their own private corner to be kids.

The less prolific members can chip in by simply pointing out the matter relevant for the ‘Weapons Comparison Thread’ just the way people do the IB4TL, only this time the disciplining be done by direct reporting instead of putting in jesting posts of IB4TL. Any adult who feels like playing Holi can feel free to take things to the ‘Weapons Comparison Thread’ directly or be directed thereat.
NikhilB
BRFite

Post by NikhilB »

Admin Team,
Can I change my username ? It's really required for personal reasons.

Thanks
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

drop an email at gentleman DAWT cadet YAT gmail DAWT com
K Mehta
BRFite

Post by K Mehta »

I feel there is a complete absence of coverage of Nepal Bhutan and Myanmar military issues, BD, Indonesia Vietnam Thailand SG Malaysia (Indo china nations) military issues. I have created a BD mil thread, do the mods agree that similar threads are needed for the other 2?
NikhilB
BRFite

Post by NikhilB »

Rahul M wrote:drop an email at gentleman DAWT cadet YAT gmail DAWT com
Thank you. Will do it soon.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

K Mehta, yes please go ahead.
K Mehta
BRFite

Post by K Mehta »

Thank you.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

As far as moderation goes I am bringing this up wrt the Space discussion thread- if there is a disagreement in a view point (For eg in the Madhavan Nair postings) then moderators should also not allow their personal feelings to be expressed when they are moderating if they do not like it.They can call for the discussion to end if they feel it is not appropriate , can say cease and desist and proceed but they should not make any remarks on a personal level in those posts. The forums will be having different view points and there may be some which they may not personally agree with which other may or may not agree with but moderation involves guiding discussions stopping irrelevant discussions but not imposing the moderators individual viewpoints while being a moderator as a method to enforce opinion.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

I don't see anything wrong with hnair's post in response to you. He basically said "I may not agree with Madhavan Nair, but I'll defend his right to say it."

What exactly is the problem with that ? He did not brusquely say "shut up". Solely on the merits of the initial statements, his post seems more reasonable than yours.

Challenging the authority of a moderator to moderate a thread, is not a good idea.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Suraj, I think the question is whether there should be holy cows. Criticizing those currently in authority or in authority in the past seems to be frowned upon by the admins. Please let me know if this is the forum policy as I may have missed this. Please let me know if you want to continue this over email if it does not meet forum guidelines as I have been told that I'm crossing forum redlines.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

he said
Stop using this thread to push your personal opinions on what a former ISRO boss should or should not say about how Indian taxpayer money is spent.

Whereas what I had said was
I think Madhavan Nair hould keep quite. He has been sidelined and the Twitter FB program was started when he started talking. Problem is he will be further sidelined now. Unfortunate

Where was this"pushing personal opinions" etc etc -I was saying how his (Madhavan Nair) statements where actually harming his relationship with his erstwhile organization which was unfortunate. So no discussion about pros and cons of a public statement is to be done during a discussion because a moderator has a liking (or disliking) for a person ? Also selectively using a portion of the statement (which was misquoted as 'evidence" is also not correct.

As a simple counterpoint it seems that it is fair game to criticize any amount AK Anthony today whereas some time back it was not acceptable to do so - so isn't that bias or inconsistency ? For some He represents the Ex finance Minister of the country - a position of respect and for others he is treasonous. So differences in opinions about public figures are being discussed but not banned or stopped .

Where was there challenging the authority of a moderator to moderate a thread etc done there ?

Also isn't this the place mentioned to discuss differences about such opinions ? if you note while some were Pro with Madhavan Nair's statements others indeed did feel his method used was wrong. That is a difference in opinion and a matter of perception and debate so what exact forum rule was being broken there ?

Incidentally could the forum rules be put up as a sticky note in the "View active topics" list so we can know what parameters are being used during moderation ?
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

merlin wrote:Suraj, I think the question is whether there should be holy cows. Criticizing those currently in authority or in authority in the past seems to be frowned upon by the admins. Please let me know if this is the forum policy as I may have missed this. Please let me know if you want to continue this over email if it does not meet forum guidelines as I have been told that I'm crossing forum redlines.
Ideally we would not like any public authority to be trolled. There's a world of difference between criticizing someone and mocking or name-calling them.

However, we have not been able to accomplish that entirely, partly because politics and political administration degenerated to such an extent that stopping people from venting at leadership was essentially impossible, and would have hurt forum moderation efforts more if we were a martinet at clamping down, than let some healthy level of venting through.

This is a judgement call the moderation team itself makes, and may not be perfect or mutually justifiable for any given subset of moderation actions. That's because we're moderators, not judges of individual actions; our first brief is to moderate a thread, and then we attempt to address individual concerns to what extent possible. We generally expect posters themselves to know if they're right or wrong, once they've cooled down.

One thing to note: attacking or pursuing a moderator's actions in any thread, will bring a warning or a ban. There are legitimate means to respond, including this thread, and post reports, but a personal fight on a thread will generally lead to a poster being censured.

However, in the case of ISRO, I support hnair's position. Nair should be allowed to criticize. He has earned his ability to do so through a decades long career there, where he led them to much success as well.

prasannasimha: A look at that thread shows that neither of what you quoted are complete posts. Reading the full posts changes the context. As I mentioned earlier, I've nothing more to add to this matter in your support, because I simply don't see sufficient merit in your case. Hnair acted because we did not want the thread to go in the direction of that debate and sidetrack it. Please move on.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

This is a private website, not India.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Suraj wrote:
merlin wrote:Suraj, I think the question is whether there should be holy cows. Criticizing those currently in authority or in authority in the past seems to be frowned upon by the admins. Please let me know if this is the forum policy as I may have missed this. Please let me know if you want to continue this over email if it does not meet forum guidelines as I have been told that I'm crossing forum redlines.
Ideally we would not like any public authority to be trolled. There's a world of difference between criticizing someone and mocking or name-calling them.

However, we have not been able to accomplish that entirely, partly because politics and political administration degenerated to such an extent that stopping people from venting at leadership was essentially impossible, and would have hurt forum moderation efforts more if we were a martinet at clamping down, than let some healthy level of venting through.

This is a judgement call the moderation team itself makes, and may not be perfect or mutually justifiable for any given subset of moderation actions. That's because we're moderators, not judges of individual actions; our first brief is to moderate a thread, and then we attempt to address individual concerns to what extent possible. We generally expect posters themselves to know if they're right or wrong, once they've cooled down.

One thing to note: attacking or pursuing a moderator's actions in any thread, will bring a warning or a ban. There are legitimate means to respond, including this thread, and post reports, but a personal fight on a thread will generally lead to a poster being censured.

However, in the case of ISRO, I support hnair's position. Nair should be allowed to criticize. He has earned his ability to do so through a decades long career there, where he led them to much success as well.

prasannasimha: A look at that thread shows that neither of what you quoted are complete posts. Reading the full posts changes the context. As I mentioned earlier, I've nothing more to add to this matter in your support, because I simply don't see sufficient merit in your case. Hnair acted because we did not want the thread to go in the direction of that debate and sidetrack it. Please move on.
Understood. Thanks for the clarification.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Reporting forum software problem for admin attention

When I make a post and click submit, the post gets submitted but the information screen saying "message posted successfully" does not appear at all for very long. This causes a temptation to click submit again leading to multiple posts.

However when I edit a post the edited successfully screen appears almost instantly as it should.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Reporting forum software problem for admin attention

When I make a post and click submit, the post gets submitted but the information screen saying "message posted successfully" does not appear at all for very long. This causes a temptation to click submit again leading to multiple posts.

However when I edit a post the edited successfully screen appears almost instantly as it should.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

shiv wrote:Reporting forum software problem for admin attention

Same issue- in fact saw others also having the same problem- ends up with having to "delete" the second post.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

shiv wrote:Reporting forum software problem for admin attention

Same issue- in fact saw others also having the same problem- ends up with having to "delete" the second post.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

Like what has happened above
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

delete
Last edited by member_28108 on 19 Oct 2014 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

deleted - happening the third time now !!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

prasannasimha wrote:Like what has happened above
How painful How painful How painful How painful How painful
prasannasimha wrote:Like what has happened above
How painful How painful How painful How painful How painful
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

We're aware of the problem; one of us raised it a couple of days ago. We're trying to sort it out with the website owner.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Could adminullas please disable the feature that changes the word p.orn to ******?

I am not sure why the word is being filtered out - perhaps to disallow search engines from picking up the word? Why not replace the word with something search engines will not recognize - like p.o.r.n. or p_orn - so we don't get ***. It's not as if we will discuss p.orn on BRF but when we look at differences in various societies and "questions like freedom, individualism etc - the ascendancy of p.orn is an important sociological event that needs to be known and discussed.
member_20317
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20317 »

Re: Modi Sarkar - Policies and implementation [2]
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 0#p1741445

Archan ji, I don't think I can start new threads.

Added later : Ok done. Thanks.

I always use the active_search option. Never went to the Board Index :P.

Added even later : Teri to. Newtopic button is everywhere even within the thread all the time. And for all these years I thought opening a thread was some black art. Ab dekho bambaari kar ke dikhata hun.
Abhijit
BRFite

Post by Abhijit »

I am a little concerned that a warning is being handed out for, what I perceive as, a mere disagreement with admin's view of an economic matter. No, this is not me. I am referring to a warning issued to sanku ji by suraj. I cannot understand why it is called trolling. I will be happy to learn. thx.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

The moderators who can not handle a debate, and have their flawed points called out, are both a disservice to the board as posters as well as moderators.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Abhijit wrote:I am a little concerned that a warning is being handed out for, what I perceive as, a mere disagreement with admin's view of an economic matter. No, this is not me. I am referring to a warning issued to sanku ji by suraj. I cannot understand why it is called trolling. I will be happy to learn. thx.
Trolling constitutes provoking a negative emotional response in a technical discussion. I provided a technical explanation in the thread in question. On a review of his record, the poster concerned has a long history of forum actions against him for the same behavior, and he also has a sizeable number of people who have him on their ignore list.
member_28797
BRFite

Post by member_28797 »

Sankuji is a troll though isn't it? Atleast I thought he was :((

also, apparently speaking out against armchair NRI jernails who bash India and worship Unkil gets a warning, again from Suraj Mulla
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

You're new here. You haven't been here a month and already have two warnings and further informal notes on your record, all of them from different moderators. Your posting style clearly is not working well so far.
member_28797
BRFite

Post by member_28797 »

Meh maybe, but the last warning was uncalled for.
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

There is a difference between stereotyping and "speaking against" and it is fairly apparent that you don't know the difference if you are whining here for getting called out. LOL.
Ranjani Brow

Post by Ranjani Brow »

So can you please change my name back to "hecky" or atleast "Peter Pan" (human sounding, right?).
Everyone is making fun of me back in Nukkad. :(

@Suraj
@archan
@Singha
@Raja Bose :x
member_28797
BRFite

Post by member_28797 »

Ranjani Brow wrote:So can you please change my name back to "hecky" or atleast "Peter Pan" (human sounding, right?).
Everyone is making fun of me back in Nukkad. :(

@Suraj
@archan
@Singha
@Raja Bose :x
What is wrong with Ranajani Brow? It sounds cute an smexy :rotfl: :rotfl:
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

{Deleted. Your warnings are not up for discussion.}
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, please let me know if so.

I am having connectivity issues to BRF from home. The main site works fine, but the forums stopped connecting this weekend. I used to be able to connect for ~10 min before the connection timed out, now it times out all the time :(. Trace route shows the packet going all the way to the last hop before the forum's IP where it times out. This happens only from home, office or cell works fine.

I suspect some DNS issue, but not sure how to resolve it. I changed my DNS to a public server, still no avail.

Anyone dealt with a similar issue and could give some suggestions? Oh, btw, my ISP is the big bad gorilla called Comcast.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

Clear DNS Cache (see flush DNS) and restart and check