BR Forum Feedback

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Re: BR Forum Feedback

Post by hnair »

Arjun, your reports have been looked into. it kind of looked like a minor difference of opinion between posters who support Shree Modi. Last thing we want is a "Saffroner than thou" here. So please do report any more on these lines and we will look into it.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Vayu Tuvan, please! You are again getting excited :(
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

hnair wrote:Arjun, your reports have been looked into. it kind of looked like a minor difference of opinion between posters who support Shree Modi. Last thing we want is a "Saffroner than thou" here. So please do report any more on these lines and we will look into it.
Indeed, Hnair. But some of the participants in the interaction did NOT view it as a minor difference between posters who support Shree Modi, they did not take the trouble of trying to understand the other posters POV in detail, and the language employed by them certainly did not reflect that we are on the same side. There is very much a 'Saffroner than thou" problem here.

In fact Hnair, the poster whose abusive terminology included a call for 'certain folks needing to get their heads examined' was referencing even people like yourself, given what I know of your views !

I am not against the use of strong language - I may have employed them myself on occasion. But ONLY after I have taken the trouble of understanding in detail the other POV and if I am convinced there is no alternative.

Also, while being on the same side is all fine and dandy -I am not sure we even want those who are unable to articulate with logic to be on our side.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Arjun wrote:I am not sure we even want those who are unable to articulate with logic to be on our side.
Yes. That is an issue, that the current PM is facing a lot, particularly in this forum. Anyways, please do report thread going OT on that front.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

hnair wrote:Vayu Tuvan, please! You are again getting excited :(
Please define "getting excited".

As an aside, I don't want to engage in some pointless meta BR Forum Feedback in the BR Forum Feedback thread unless such a meta thread is started by the powers be. Since you are a moderator I cannot put you on my ignore list nor can you put me on yours. We will have to live with each other's quirks :( Of course, you have the option of banning me (for good). I will restrain from answering your posts unless there is a warning or PM expressly asking me to do so. Over and out.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

There was no need for baiting Arjun's post, in this particular thread. That was not addressed to you. If you want to take up such questions, take it to OT thread.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Actually Vayu Tuvan, in case you have an interest in achievement data by community - there is a thread for it: Intelligence / Achievement Studies and Global Indians

A thread that I had started way back, even prior to the one on Modi.

An area of particular interest for me - but havent found similarly-minded folks on this forum. Only discussion relating to achievement by community though and not relating to individuals :wink:
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

Arjun wrote:
I would also assume that this latitude provided by the admins for using the term "troll" freely on other posters is not selective - and there are certain guidelines around how it can be used. Can we have some clarity on this - so other posters can benefit from this latitude?
People with glass houses should not throw stones on someone else's house too. Self regulation is the best moderation.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Arjun wrote:A thread that I had started way back, even prior to the one on Modi.
... :wink:
Yes, I remember that thread quite well. That is why I wanted to jog your memory. I am sure there is enough interest on BRF (in taking down discredited theories). I will post there as time permits.
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 14 Oct 2015 04:13, edited 1 time in total.
member_29172
BRFite

Post by member_29172 »

Arjun wrote: Also, while being on the same side is all fine and dandy -I am not sure we even want those who are unable to articulate with logic to be on our side.
Ignoring the QQ fest above, I am not sure why Modi is supposed to bend over backwards for the incident? How does that make him different from the congi stooges? It's a local matter, PM couldn't have done much from the centre. The whole "Modi should apologize for dadri to save BJP votes" seems silly.

I don't live in India, but has the media managed to blow this up to such proportions? Either way, it's not Modi's responsibility to apologize for someone who farts in kankyakumari or chennai or mumbai or andamans. It's a local matter, let them sort the stuff out. He should keep to the development agenda.

Where the right-left things come from anyway? India has no right or left, it's just people who care versus people who live in an emotional lala land. Calling BJP supporters, "right wing" or "Saffrons" is quite stupid IMVHO
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Alka_P wrote: The whole "Modi should apologize for dadri to save BJP votes" seems silly.
Absolutely no question of pushing for any kind of apology. That would be quite stoopid...pls read again what I wrote.

We can take it elsewhere if you want to continue the discussion.

PS: At least you have taken the pains to explain what it is that riles you and therefore we are able to have a relatively civil discussion. But then there are also many complete jerks on BRF who assume something from a particular post, and post one-liners filled with abuse. THAT is a problem - those jerks should have no place on BRF.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Folks, this is BR Forum feedback thread! Please take it to OT.
member_29172
BRFite

Post by member_29172 »

Arjun wrote:
Alka_P wrote: The whole "Modi should apologize for dadri to save BJP votes" seems silly.
Absolutely no question of pushing for any kind of apology. That would be quite stoopid...pls read again what I wrote.

We can take it elsewhere if you want to continue the discussion.

PS: At least you have taken the pains to explain what it is that riles you and therefore we are able to have a relatively civil discussion. But then there are also many complete jerks on BRF who assume something from a particular post, and post one-liners filled with abuse. THAT is a problem - those jerks should have no place on BRF.
I don't understand your angsty response, I tried to explain the matter in a civil matter. Before you or I start showing off our degrees and educashun levels,uts best to take it somewhere under the burka... its quite arrogant to rally your childish points even after its fairly obvious. A state ruled by SP has no reason for modi to chime in or bjp for that matter. Appeasement doesn't take you anywhere, never has, never will. Besides, India isn't a Islamic country and the sentiments of non muslims are more important and should be given consideration given that muslims as a population got their pound of flesh and land 70 years ago. Not the most politically correct thing to say but it'd say it's fairly obvious that you can't have your cake and eat it too

Never mind we are already under burka :mrgreen: nukkad maybe?
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Allka_p, why not continue in the thread Arjun created to discuss IQ and related racial theories? Before hnair starts a volley of his hellfires I am going into Tora bora (or is it slamabad? No matter both are same same).
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 17 Oct 2015 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
member_29172
BRFite

Post by member_29172 »

Keep the cave kamplex open, I'd be following you soon enough wonlee
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

vayu tuvan wrote:Allka_p, why not continue in the thread Arjun created to discuss IQ and related racial theories? Before hnair starts a volley of his hellfires I am going into Tora bora (or is it slamabad? No matter both are same same).
On BRF? For real?
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

LokeshC: I will "up" it.

As a side note, this thread is supposed to be the place where forum members can communicate with each other (as per the prime directive after the thread went dark) since members do not have PM facility. So please do not hellfire me.

---

Added later: Sorry one of them seems to be locked.
locking note http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 7#p1663227

There is another. Let me try to "up" it.

Here you go http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 3#p1917933
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

What part of "Forum Feedback Thread" do people have so much trouble understanding ? If you want to argue with each other take it somewhere outside of the site. Contrary to what people imagine, this thread is NOT meant for your interpersonal conversations. It has never been . And there has never been a facility allowing posters to send PMs either. Please stop. All the OT stuff above will probably be deleted at convenience.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Suraj: I will comply with your ruling but here is the link to the first post

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 3#p1523953

I quote the relevant part below for readers' convenience:
Archan wrote: In any case, feedback is relevant to/from members only and every member can see this thread. To post feedback, one would have to sign in anyway.
I read that as the feedback is not just limited between members and the powers that be but between/among members as well.

But then communications from admins to members can be through PM and members to admins can be through gentlemancadet, is there a need for this thread, I wonder.

In any case looks like this is all idle speculation only in that you have made your ruling. I abide by the rules. Over and out.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

This is a members -> moderators and moderators -> members conversation thread. Don't waste your time trying to parse it as anything else. When one moderator asks posters to stop going off track, the worst thing you can do is keep going on and justify it by trying to parse rules to your convenience.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Request to reduce dipanker's ban from one month. I have had arguments with him and he was being obtuse about the Delhi police argument, but I feel one month is too harsh and not consistent with the offense considering what some of our other difficult people do. I don't recall him being repeat offender on this. That's all I got to say on this.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Length of ban is determined by level of moderation overhead resulting from the users actions, and potential for future overhead based on current events.
MadhuG
BRFite -Trainee

Post by MadhuG »

I am an avid reader and lurker for the most part. I registered only to announce my late friend Harish's passing away. Otherwise I would not have. When I was actively reading BRF back in 2004-2005 it used to be to me a go-to place for an apolitical objective factually and intellectually abundant discussions with rich photography and art. I used to pride over the straight forward posts that strictly stuck to topics without jingoism or bias. That has changed for the worse.

I have come back to BRF reading every once in a while over the years to read on specific military topics, primarily to read on updates to the MMRCA contest. After Rafale was announced the winner, I took that has conclusion to a decade long question. I took a break.

This year, I was piqued by the increasing South China Sea angst and wanted to check on news related to the Malabar 2015 exercise. That is when for the time I came across threads that were in my opinion a threat for the longevity of BRF legacy - political threads and posts that extolled or abused one party or the other. I feel disenchanted that this could happen to my favorite apolitical forum.

There are many social media and forums on the internet for political discourse but there is only one apolitical and credible military forum - the BRF. Or was - as I have concluded in my 5 days of reading the forums.
member_29172
BRFite

Post by member_29172 »

Depends what you mean by jingoism and "south china sea angst". china's tantrums are real and if they aren't put in place, they will start asking for Indian ocean as well. It may be just a silly fight for you but it's serious business.The eminent intellectuals and their opinions aren't worth taking seriously. There's no substance to it, no value and these days they are just a bunch of howler monkeys who jump on the table on debates and overall act completely obnoxious both in India and abroad. They have no moral compass let alone loyalty to India and a thirst to make it a better place by doing something positive. If calling bs, bs upsets you, then it's time you changed your mindset.

Some people and their opinions are deserve every trashing they get, granted this is a military website but it's also an Indian website. We care when eminent intellectuals sling mud on our soldiers, when they accuse them of sexual abuse in J&K, when they sleep with foreign organisations to blatantly present false information about India and Indians, when these traitors invite all kind of anti-India cariatures to India and respect them like they are some rockstar. Being unbiased doesn't mean slinging equal amounts of mud on India and giving space to moronic conspiracy theories that have no base to exist. That's just dhimmitude. Some things just can't be compromised, if you wanna call it jingoism, so be it.

My condolences on Harish Sir's untimely death.

Cheers
Last edited by hnair on 26 Oct 2015 13:58, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: 1 week off. Despite multiple warnings by 2 admins to not post discussions or respond to other posts, user Alka_P has persisted
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

Cant find old posts.

I find many posts in the summary page when I search a posters name

but many of those posts have disappeared or the redirect to some other posts

what gives?
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Alka_P, for a very recent joinee, you are dishing out "what is BRF about" to MadhuG. Now, it is obvious that MadhuG's feed back seems to be for admins. So kindly desist from doing this in future, that too after a few warnings by two admins in this same page. Please do not do this, after you come back in a week's time
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

Mod Saars,
please delete the following posts of mine:
Post 1
Post 2
Post 3
Post 4
Post 5
Post 6
Post 7
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

johneeG, can be done, but any particular reason? They look like not breaching any forum rules
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

No saar, just wanted to delete them myself. I can't do it now and I forgot at the time. So, please delete them at the earliest. Thanks.
member_27845
BRFite

Post by member_27845 »

My post count seems stuck at 95 for some reason :(
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Probably the new crew normalized the DB leading to refnetial integrity. If you are posting a lot in threads which are deleted (not archived), your post count might go up while the threads are active and go down when they are trashed.
member_28533
BRFite

Post by member_28533 »

Is there a search function, esp posts/analysis on Christine Fair wrt Af-Pak issues ?
Melwyn

Post by Melwyn »

Locking of the Political thread has caused the Media/NGO thread to become the Pol thread.
I think there should be a separate thread for Bihar elections. Pol thread is too fuzzy to discuss anything of serious value.
member_29172
BRFite

Post by member_29172 »

I take responsibility for that as well. A bit passionate and rage filled but a long time coming. Knowing how the political system works and brainstorming is as important as merely posting articles and being spectators. There needs to be a post independence political history thread and a need to track where we stand and how to get what WE the people want

With some.mods blessings I might start one In a few days. My own knowledge in the early post independence history is quite weak.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

amitkv wrote:Locking of the Political thread has caused the Media/NGO thread to become the Pol thread.
I think there should be a separate thread for Bihar elections. Pol thread is too fuzzy to discuss anything of serious value.
That a political thread is allowed is luxury enough saar. We don't want more!
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

amitkv wrote:Locking of the Political thread has caused the Media/NGO thread to become the Pol thread.
As archan said, the very existence of a political thread and an NGO/media thread itself is plenty of latitude. If you'd like to create more threads, you'll have to find yourself another forum.
nirav
BRF Oldie

Post by nirav »

If and when BRF undergoes an upgrade, Id like to request a "like" button.

It helps filter out many posts which dont add value except saying 'i agree' , '+108' and so on ..
Its an indirect way of participating in a discussion.
Nick_S
BRFite

Post by Nick_S »

It would be great if we could get a black background with white text option.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Is it possible to allow users to re-size inline images? It is a pain to post images and realize they are too big, and one has to bug the mods to do it.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

This is a message I have posted on the Islamism and Islamophobia thread:

I would judge that the accusation of "Islamophobia" makes us victims.

The term Islamophobia is a "grievance". It is an accusation against people who are said to be against islam. As such it is a self goal to have a thread bearing the word "islamophobia" - when we are ourselves victims of Islamism. What is being achieved - some sort of pseudosecular "balance of views" where we speak a bit about Islamism and then slap ourselves and talk about Islamophobia on this thread?

This thread needs a name change. Please give suggestions. I suggest "Islamism, faith and ex-Mulsims News and Analysis". Why am I saying it now? No special reason - but if you look at the content it is all about Islamism, not Islamophobia. Anything a kafir says about Islam that some Muslim may not like is dubbed Islamophobia. Is this what the thread is intended to be?