BR Forum Feedback

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Re: BR Forum Feedback

Post by JTull »

Couple of bugs:

1. When logged out we can see the "Board index" but not when logged in.
2. When logging in with "Hide your online status" (or it's equivalent), when you enter any of the active threads, at the bottom of the page we still see the name among those logged in.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

When you log in as hidden you will still show up but your name should be in italics. Of course, moderators can see everyone, hidden or not.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Seems to be in a time warp-when I go to a subdivision page such as military issues and history, all the posts are 2009 or so. I have tried changing ascending/descending etc but that seems to be the default.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

That is probably a vestige of the data loss from the forum crash.
Amoghvarsha
BRFite

Post by Amoghvarsha »

Suraj wrote:That is probably a vestige of the data loss from the forum crash.
My uzername was changed from Ras Al Ghul to Ratul.If Ras Al Ghul is not allowed please change my username to Peshwa if that is also not allowed then please change it to Mahamahim.

Thanks in Advance.
Amoghvarsha
BRFite

Post by Amoghvarsha »

Rahul M wrote:
Rahul M wrote:heads up to all "BR Mainsite Crew" I have restored privileges to all those who posted in that forum's roll call thread, except 2 members whose ID's have been lost.
guys, could you please check and let us know if you have access to the Mainsite Support Forum ? there seems to be some issues with permissions.
Sir ji

My username was changed from Ras Al Ghul to Ratul.If Ras Al Ghul is not allowed please change it to Peshwa if that is not allowed please change it to Mahamahim.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

as I have told you before you have to choose an actual name that is not that of a celebrity/fictional character.

ranks (peshwa) or honorifics (mahamahim) wont do.
Amoghvarsha
BRFite

Post by Amoghvarsha »

Rahul M wrote:as I have told you before you have to choose an actual name that is not that of a celebrity/fictional character.

ranks (peshwa) or honorifics (mahamahim) wont do.
Change it to Amoghvarsha please.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

done. nice choice btw.
Amoghvarsha
BRFite

Post by Amoghvarsha »

Rahul M wrote:done. nice choice btw.
Thank you.If you get time please change the spelling to Amoghavarsha.
LokeshC
BRFite

Post by LokeshC »

Sirs, Is it possible to merge my account with the older one. I found my member ID sometime back but lost the link to it. I will find it again and post here. Sorry for the inconvenience.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Just want to point out a problem (probably incurable) that has existed for many years. The forum search feature is among the most brainless and lazy functions I have ever seen since I got accustomed to using search engines nearly 2 decades ago.

It simply give up searching if the words are "too common". Not helpful on a forum where Pakistan is discussed frequently
Raman
BRFite

Post by Raman »

Dear admins I need to send a PM to indranilroy or an admin of the IAF section of BR for a request. Apparently, I don't have permissions to PM. Please advise.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Post your suggestion here unless its classified!
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

Is it possible the "URL" tag to open in a new tab? Please ignore if this has already been discussed and decided to open links in current tab.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

press ctrl and then click the url to open it in new tab.
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

RoyG wrote:
hnair wrote:
Your interpretation of moderation is a bit skewed: If singha (or any other fellow admin) has a problem with you, it is my problem too. You dont get to pick the moderator you want to comply with. So please stop trying to play childish games, by attempting to drive a wedge between moderators

And do take your complaints to the forum feedback thread. Any more posts on this topic will be deleted in this particular thread
Well thats a bit rich considering he hasn't actually stated a problem.

And as far my attempt to "drive a wedge" between you and the Singha, shows that you clearly have trouble grasping the point.

I really could care less about your relations w/ anyone much less other moderators.

So yeah, I think my interpretation of moderation is just fine and I'll call out nonsense when I see it.

But yes, I'll take this to the feedback thread so you can explain what your problem w/ me actually is instead of beating around the bush about it.
Hnair,

Perhaps you can start by explaining the obtuse logic that went into banning me in the first place. Seemed a bit "childish" to me.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Gus wrote:any reason why the 'remember me' feature does not work? it asks to login everytime i check back in after a system restart (not in same session of the browser after tab close and restart).
I see the same problem on mobile devices only but it works fine on desktops.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

RoyG wrote:
Perhaps you can start by explaining the obtuse logic that went into banning me in the first place. Seemed a bit "childish" to me.
hmm.... Still that imperious tone against a forum moderator who asked you to behave.

Here is your only choice: Get back from the current ban and post nicer. Choose wisely.

(for the rest of those who want to know: You will be communicated at the time of the banning or warning, about the reason. No further info on "why, what and how" will be given. Moderators move on and dont have time to target specific people, but if you get particularly nasty or indulge in baiting, we will track you closely)
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

Rahul M wrote:press ctrl and then click the url to open it in new tab.
I am aware of that but was wondering that it is beneficial to open all links in a new tab/window by default instead of in the same tab/window. May be opinion of admins is otherwise. That's fine.

Additionally is it possible to create a custom button (BBCode) to add tweet cards in posts? I have programming experience and could help if needed, but not sure if I am eligible since I am only like a couple of weeks in the forum.
Bhurishravas
BRFite

Post by Bhurishravas »

I have been posting stuff here for 3-4 years now. After the recent events my account was lost and I had to register again. No problems.
I was posting stuff on Ukraine, as it is my study area. Till the time, I posted pro-Russia stuff, everything went fine. But a couple of anti-Putin posts on the Levant thread and I was threatened with a ban.
Terrorists moral inside #Aleppo has completely collapsed after Russian Kalibr missile strike on C&C HQ killing 30 Israeli officers.
This is clearly propaganda. As no news can confirm this. But this has been posted by the moderator who threatened me with a ban.
So I cant call this propaganda. Without risking a ban.

Browbeating posters into following a line is really disappointing. Didnt expect this at BR. I dont see anyone but Pro-Russians posting on the levant thread now. Its completely ridiculous. The debate is completely skewed if there is one at all.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Sorry Admin calling my post a bullshit, but people are getting away with stuff Ravana was From Kerala, Proof of surgical strike-suggesting Indian Miltary personal are liars etc., I dont that is fair. And they said gentleman who has been asking every detail and making comments on the PM's marksheet, should he not have decency to show proof of his JEE rank etc. Till then how can it be dismissed as conspiracy theory?
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

The space thread page rendering is busted due to a super size image. Can a mod take a look? Thanks.
Brad Goodman
BRF Oldie

Post by Brad Goodman »

where is the book review thread gone?
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Mods, again the US thread is back to discussing US elections, despite hnair saar's warning. Can we simply open a thread for these elections and be done with it? One is tired of this constant tu-tu-main-main discussions all the time in multiple threads (Indo-US, understanding the US thread, and see even in Nukkad, page 19) - sorry to say this, but BRF in these threads sounds more like "america rakshak forum", not like Bharat's (capitalisation intentional). I wonder - are there no other online fora to discuss US elections?

As for me, FWIW I am back to my cave, and will studiously avoid the US threads from hereon.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Please report posts there. The elections are a big deal to some, and beyond a point, it cannot be helped, because people simply ignore moderation guidelines, and it's far simpler to just delete the last N pages than constantly make unheeded reminders to not talk of the subject. The whole sordid dog and pony show will dominate the airwaves through November.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Guys,

It looks like the BRF site's cert has expired and it is now giving an error each time an encrypted (https) page is opened (which is virtually every page for a logged-in user). Please renew it ASAP because not only is it an inconvenience for users, but browsers nowadays auto-report sites that are deemed 'unsafe' and it might result in downgrading the security ranking of the BRF website itself.

Pasting the error that Chrome shows, below:

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from forums.bharat-rakshak.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID
Automatically report details of possible security incidents to Google. Privacy policy
Back to safetyHIDE ADVANCED
This server could not prove that it is forums.bharat-rakshak.com; its security certificate expired yesterday. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection. Your computer's clock is currently set to Friday, October 21, 2016. Does that look right? If not, you should correct your system's clock and then refresh this page. Learn more.

Proceed to forums.bharat-rakshak.com (unsafe)
sohamn
BRFite

Post by sohamn »

Please renew your SSL certificate, otherwise you will loose traffic soon.
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

es I am also getting the same error from today mornings
Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from forums.bharat-rakshak.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALIDS ERROR
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

The certificate has expired on 10/21/2016. Looks like the cert was issued only for two months from august to october, that is strange! Please contact your provider and get it renewed as soon as possible.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

I also got the same thing. Shall we continue or stop logging in for sometime?
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

Any bearing on this site

US internet users suffering under DDoS attacks on key DNS provider
Friday, October 21, 2016

A series of denial of service attacks on a major DNS provider spanning all of Friday have caused major issues across the internet, with outages of some of the largest sites and services experienced across about half of the U.S. —and now the Department of Homeland Security is getting involved.

Starting early Friday, assailants started a massive distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack on DNS provider Dyn's servers. Major sites like The Verge, HBO Now, CNN, Imgur, Paypal, and Reddit are all affected to some extent.

A new wave of attacks have brought down the websites for the New York Times, CNN, Netflix, Twitter, and the PlayStation Network, among many others. Amazon is experiencing some outages as well, but at this time it is not clear if the problems stem from the DDoS attack on Dyn.

Starting at about 11 a.m. eastern time, the attacks abated somewhat, and were mitigated by Dyn's countermeasures. However, at 12:20 p.m. eastern time, the attackers renewed the assault, expanding the outages beyond just England and the east coast of the U.S. to a large portion of California and Texas.

"Dyn received a global DDoS attack on our Managed DNS infrastructure in the east coast of the United States," Dyn executive vice president of products Scott Hilton said in a statement Friday morning. "We have been aggressively mitigating the DDoS attack against our infrastructure."

AppleInsider has learned that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security is "monitoring the situation" and the agency is "investigating all potential causes" of the outages.

Dyn provides domain name services (DNS), resolving plain site names, like www.appleinsider.com to IP addresses that are required for content delivery. A sufficiently large DDoS attack on DNS servers for websites prevent requests to the website from completing.

The attack is aggravated by users continuing to hammer refresh following an unsuccessful load of a webpage.

The vector of attack is not yet known, with hackers recently having commandeered a network of surveillance cameras to perform a DDoS attack. Reasons for the assault, or the perpetrators are also not yet known.
shravanp
BRF Oldie

Post by shravanp »

Gurujan,
The guidline link seems to be broken. http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Guidelines.html
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Time to shrink that huge YellowSea above the Board index? (Since my user ID works...)
Thanks!
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Mods, quite a few archived links in the STFUP opening post are no longer available. For instance, Tareq Fatah's youtube talk.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Don't know if this is the right thread but, I am the only one who feels mods need to rein in (be more strict) some of the posters who are posting below par posts without much thoughts to it and derailing discussions??
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Feel free to report such posts. Adequate actions will be taken.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

Hey guys,
It appears us BR Mainsite Crew members can't send PMs any more. Can this capability please be restored?
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Is it possible to edit the website section in profile ? My profile page shows my old blog . Can't find a way to change it.
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

And I seriously protest the 'you are paki' stuff.
This is a redline no one should cross.NO ONE.Its derogatory.Gus did not deserve it.

Since mods are roaming with danda in the Indo-US thread,posting in dark narrow corridors.

Felt that Gus posts were always reasonable.