BR Forum Feedback

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
gunjur
BRFite

Re: BR Forum Feedback

Post by gunjur »

MODS, similar to youtube, image tags please add twitter tag as well. Since lot of info/discussions happen on twitter nowadays, having a tweet tag would be very very helpful. Thanks in advance.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

We cannot create tags, it has to be made by phpBB. Admins have the ability to choose which ones to allow though.
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

Many respected old posters have a join date somewhere in 1970. Any information about the predecessor of BRF ?
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

^ more of a software/database glitch I suppose.
gunjur
BRFite

Post by gunjur »

archan wrote:We cannot create tags, it has to be made by phpBB. Admins have the ability to choose which ones to allow though.
Found this link. Later found this regarding Embedding Tweets. In this article by twitter, found some things under trouble shooting section which might be helpful. (though its another matter that mango man i.e. yours truly could not understand much :(( :evil: )
Any gurus please care to explain
How to Embed a Tweet on your Website

Every Tweet on twitter.com and Tweetdeck has a set of Tweet actions at the bottom, including Reply, Retweet, Favorite, and More. Click the "More" Tweet action and select “Embed Tweet”: A dialog will appear providing you with an HTML embed code. Copy and paste this directly into your article where you'd like the Tweet to appear.

Troubleshooting

If your embedded Tweets aren’t showing up in your page, there are a few things you can try.

Firstly, always remember that embedded Tweets require the <script> tag from the embed code to run to fully render the Tweet. Sometimes, a CMS may not properly format the <script> in your published articles, or may strip it out altogether. Here are ways to resolve that:

1. If your CMS has an ‘HTML’ or ‘code editing’ mode, use that. Often, rich-text or WYSIWYG editors will misinterpret pasted code and may remove data or try to display it in your page literally. Try entering the code in HTML mode, pasting the code directly there, and then publishing your post.

2. If you cannot reliably work with HTML in your articles, then you or your website team should instead add a single <script> to your main website template. In your template, find the end of the page, the closing </body> tag, and add the following code before it.

<script>!function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],p=/^http:/.test(d.location)?'http':'https';if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src=p+"://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs");</script>

That will include the initialization code for embedded Tweets separate of your CMS content editor, and you will be able to use embedded Tweets in any page of your site without further modification.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

Now that the GE2014 has reached its final leg...
Can the political threads in burqa forum be temporarily migrated to open forum .. Till the election concludes ?

Btw today being Gudi Padwa/Ugadi/Cheti Chand is as good as any for some house keeping by mods/admins :)
Ashok Sarraff
BRFite

Post by Ashok Sarraff »

For some reason, I can't see the YouTube links (the one with pictures) embedded in posts on my ipad - there is big blank space where the picture should appear, and clicking on that blank space does not start the embedded video. On the other hand, YouTube works perfectly when I open it independently. I miss all the fun links that Gandharva and RajeshA post. It's extrememly frustrating, to say the least. :((
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

Lilo wrote:Now that the GE2014 has reached its final leg...
Can the political threads in burqa forum be temporarily migrated to open forum .. Till the election concludes ?

Btw today being Gudi Padwa/Ugadi/Cheti Chand is as good as any for some house keeping by mods/admins :)
+1
Jagdish Suyani
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Jagdish Suyani »

This april-fool topic. Pls unlock it. http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... =24&t=6763
Jagdish Suyani
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Jagdish Suyani »

Dear Moderators,

Can you reset the password of MehtaRahulC aka "Rahul C Mehta" aka "Rahul Mehta", and send it to his email address?

Thanks
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

I am also having same problem as Ashok Saraff.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Mods:

I would like to propose a discussion thread under GDF :

"Hurdles in the Way of Mainstreaming of Indian Muslims"

The context for this idea is my alarm after recently watching some speeches of MIM politician Akbaruddin Owaisi on youtube. Owaisi, became famous recently for his arrest following a speech in which he ridiculed Hinduism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv8p0oD3fT0

He has made other speeches which give insight into his tactics and strategy for retaining and expanding his leadership over Indian Muslims.

Here is a speech he made at Hindupur in AP in March 2014 looking to expand MIM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVHelNG8pJM

Here is a speech he made at Mallepally, Hyderabad, his home turf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqYmhE6BWYo

Though I have focused on Akbaruddin Owaisi, I think his approach is typical of communal Muslim leaders in India, whose strategy and tactics have made the mainstreaming of India's Muslim citizens a virtually intractable problem.

This is reflected in the responses, all of which fall short of helping to achieve the goal of mainstreaming of Muslims. Either the poisonous and alienating behavior reflected in the speeches I have linked is somehow ignored or explained away, or there is a gut-level angry and frustrated response.

I would like to see if BRF can do better, and come up with ideas for concrete and measurable steps that will help in the Muslim-mainstreaming process.

The reason I am posting this (for me) lengthy explanation on this thread is that I know that there are already a number of "Muslim" threads, though none of them, as far as I can see, fits this particular topic. Also, I know that there are some very sensitive and strict lines that are laid down when discussing topics relating to the blend of politics and religion.

Please advise.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

The problem is they soon turn into Islam bashing and how "ours is better than theirs" threads. Then there are oft repeated arguments on sakoolarizm and mainorities. It gets repetitive real quick.
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

Some of the questions that come to mind are:
What is meant by 'mainstream'?
Who decides/defines what is 'mainstream' and what is not?
Will the definition of 'mainstream' remain constant, or will it change based on place, time and circumstances?
Who wants the muslims to become 'mainstream' and why?
Why should muslims want to become 'mainstream'?
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

^ are you salivating at the prospect of getting to write more half pagers in the new thread? :P
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

archan wrote:^ are you salivating at the prospect of getting to write more half pagers in the new thread? :P
:eek: :evil: I am only trying to point out (in a round-about fashion) that the issue seems to be ignoring the elephant in the room.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

johneeG wrote:Some of the questions that come to mind are:
What is meant by 'mainstream'?
Who decides/defines what is 'mainstream' and what is not?
Will the definition of 'mainstream' remain constant, or will it change based on place, time and circumstances?
Who wants the muslims to become 'mainstream' and why?
Why should muslims want to become 'mainstream'?
Firstly, archan, I realize the hazards of yetanudder "muslim" thread; nevertheless, as I said I feel alarmed enough and despondent enough about the prospect of "mainstreaming" Muslims of India, that I feel compelled to see if we can't find some collective understanding and insight by deconstructing the words of persons like Owaisi and also the Hindu response. Something that goes beyond the usual numbered-joke type of discussion on this topic.

I think a detailed meaning and implication of "mainstream" would be one of the things that might emerge out of the proposed thread. Anyway, I have a vague idea that some day Muslims and Hindus of India might have a level of co-existence that is similar to say, Jews and non-Jews in America, or I would even settle for something like the Jew-Muslim relationship in America. Not that America is the gold standard or whatever, but that (besides India) is the society I am most familiar with.

Archan, if a separate discussion thread is not on the cards (due to concerns you stated), what thread do you think would be suitable for posting what I have in mind (assuming I have been sufficiently clear about it)?
Last edited by KLNMurthy on 05 Apr 2014 13:05, edited 2 times in total.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

johneeG wrote:
archan wrote:^ are you salivating at the prospect of getting to write more half pagers in the new thread? :P
:eek: :evil: I am only trying to point out (in a round-about fashion) that the issue seems to be ignoring the elephant in the room.
I would hope not; I don't want to start posting my thoughts on this thread, before there is a thread for what I have in mind. Obviously, the proposed thread would be for the exact purpose of rationally and fairly discussing the "elephant." As I mentioned, I feel very pessimistic about the prospect of honest and harmonious Hindu-Muslim relationship, but feel that there are enough good minds on BRF that maybe some ideas can be made to emerge that will prove that my degree of pessimism is unjustified, and there may be at least partial solutions to the problem.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Considering that the word secularism is being (mis) used mainly for Muslims in India, how about trying the secularism boon/bane thread?
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

archan wrote:Considering that the word secularism is being (mis) used mainly for Muslims in India, how about trying the secularism boon/bane thread?
The charter for the thread you suggested is some sort of theoretical pro- and con discussion of Indian secularism. There are 50-something pages of discussion which didn't seem to quite touch on what I had in mind.

Still I understand your reservations. And I have work to do to at least summarize those videos, which means, I am afraid, bringinging myself to spend more time in the edifying company of shri Owaisiji. I'll then write up a post and hopefully it'll then find a suitable home and generate something useful.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

If you have enough material to keep up the thread without it getting into a bashfest, you may start it.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

KLNMurthy ji,

there may be a few threads which may be of interest to you:
  1. The Bharatiya - Identity, Vision, Agenda, Proposition (SDF) - for discussing the essence of India's "mainstream"
  2. Understanding Islamic Society (SDF) - for discussing behavior, thinking, memes of Muslims as sourced from Islam or Arab society
  3. Indicization of Indian Islam - Blazing New Paths (GDF) - for proposing ways and means how Muslims in India can be better integrated into "mainstream"
Please consider using the existing threads and thus adding to the material already there.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

would it be too much to add a tweet button next jootube button on BRF?

[tweet="<SaiK@BRF>"]Greater Games are played at BRF before MMS knows about it!![/tweet]
with a twitter size check on submit?
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

Ramana et al:

Could we please benefit from gentle guidance here and above? I know it rankles a lot of people to see the greatest country in the world portrayed in poor light. But even the USA would benefit from a grace of another two weeks to this thread.

Much appreciated.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Please report posts. We'll keep an eye on it.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Second saik on the twitter integration thing. Could we please get that? Far easier to embed tweets than take screenshots or do copy-paste+format.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

At least have the courtesy of not deleting the post.....or will this post disappear too ?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

There is also a nuisance but not a show stopper, especially for high traffic threads.. one has to submit at least 10 times to get a chance. If there are no exception on the post (ie, quotes, DDoS, 404 etc.) then, it should just queue in the post and add them in that order. jusht jimble message cueing taknik onlee
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Can we please keep the other elections thread in GD forum for some more time, till the counting starts? And after it is locked, can it still be in GD for few days to make it easy to compare predictions/exit polls with actual results? The states election discusssion, exit polls and AP election results are particularly useful.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

I have some suggestions on a few threads now that the most exciting election that many have ever seen in India is over, and the good guys have won 8)

1. Thread focusing on agenda for new government. Don't see why this should be in burkha since it will be dealing with governance and not politics - we could have this in strategic forum. The old NaMo thread in GDF can be archived / pdfed (perhaps now or once it reaches 1000 pages)

2. A permanent thread on 'Electoral Analysis of India' - in addition to the various short-term election specific threads. This will be more analytical in nature and useful to track caste-wise, demographic and other factors and trends in states and regions across India affecting electoral politics. This can be in GDF.

3. A thread on 'Indian Castes and Communities'. I have personally stumbled on to a lot of information regarding the wealth of communities and ethnic groups we have in India, over the course of the elections...Been quite awestruck by India's diversity and unique successes of various communities. It would be useful to have a thread that can accumulate this kind of hard-to-get information. I think this can go under 'Tech and Econ Forum' since there is no reason for it to be in burkha.

Hope these threads can be started asap. If others on BRF have similar thoughts or alternate suggestions please reply.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

I want to suggest that 'JSF turkey tilasmi' thread be closed. As its not a jet we're going to buy. Its a foreign country jet without any connection to Bharat. It's only eating up bandwith. JMTWP
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Dhananjay wrote:I want to suggest that 'JSF turkey tilasmi' thread be closed. As its not a jet we're going to buy. Its a foreign country jet without any connection to Bharat. It's only eating up bandwith. JMTWP
That is Philip having fun. I believe he is entitled to some.
:mrgreen:
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Hee hee ok !!!
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Arjun ji, go ahead on 2 and 3 but in GDF, till we decide on right forum.

p.s. congrats on being ahead of the rest and opening what is now BR's longest thread so far.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Rahul M wrote:Arjun ji, go ahead on 2 and 3 but in GDF, till we decide on right forum.

p.s. congrats on being ahead of the rest and opening what is now BR's longest thread so far.
Thanks - will go ahead.

Re NaMo thread -that was guaranteed to be a blockbuster. BRF has been ahead of the curve on the NaMo phenomenon & I am happy to have played a small role along with several others.
a_bharat
BRFite

Post by a_bharat »

There are too many threads related to Indian elections, govt formation, Modi, AAP, etc. It would be nice to merge them all under one thread -- say "Indian Politics".
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

BRFites as a think tank I wonder if it would be a good idea to present the new govt. with a book detailing:

1.) To go for 1200 Tejas a/c instead of importing.

2.) To go for 30 Arihants + 12 Scorpenes instead of uber-expensive P 75I.

3.) Order 2000 Arjun tanks.

I want to take brilliant posts by Shiv ji on this:

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 7#p1282373
shiv wrote:How many friends and relatives do you have who have said "I went abroad because I wanted to study or do research in areas which are simply not available in India". Perhaps you are yourself one such person, like I was. Perhaps you stayed abroad because what you did is still unavailable in India.

But if you look at the background of people who went abroad from India for this reason you find that the vast majority of them have a science/engineering/medicine background. You also find that "abroad" for these people did not mean Egypt, Uganda or Panama. It was always the USA or Western Europe.

There is a curious twin coincidence here that I would like to talk about.

Very few Indians went abroad saying "I want to learn cooking", or "I want to learn singing/pottery/catering". No one went abroad saying "I want to learn how to wash dishes and clothes" or "i want to learn how to grow rice", "I want to learn how to make bullock cart wheels". All these were available in India. It was science, technology and engineering that were not available.

And like a key fits a lock, that science, engineering and tech was not only available in the west, but they were paying people to go there. So "learning" was lucrative to boot. The very fact that you could go abroad to earn and learn while it was not possible in India should give you an example of how decrepit and undeveloped India was, and remains (in some areas) to this day. No wonder those hardworking Indians who went abroad were happy with their choice. And naturally, it was not Panama or Egypt that was attracting them.

So what about those who did not go? I am certain that most would have wanted to go for the same reasons but at least half stayed behind for lack of opportunity to go or lack of finances or some other hurdle. Maybe they could not pass TOEFL (Stooopiddd!) Or could not afford to travel to Lahore or Singapore to write the exam. Naturally these people did not get the opportunity to do what their peers were doing abroad. They would have sought and got employment in India, in an industrial and technical set up that was 100 years behind the west, where their "more successful" classmates and peers had gone. Some may have got employed in Hindustan Motors manufacturing Ambassadors. Others would have got employed in Birla cement plants. Still others would have joined DRDO, BEL, HAL.

And with research funding being next to nothing in India as the bean counters of Delhi looked for "value for money" these engineers languished in a set up that gave timed promotions, a pension but had no sympathy for failure as a path to success. They had to be content with assembly, screwdriver tech and saffron/white and green paint. Everything else was bound to fail except the employment and the pension. Even these people would have preferred to have gone abroad I am certain. If they were "failures" they failed only in getting out of a decrepit 17th century nation living in the 20th century.

Science and technology development means sinking money into failed products until something succeeds. All innovation is like that. When the government funds research, the government has to be ready for failures. Innovation and invention can be private investment or government investment. But the private investors of India, have never ever liked the idea of making investments in failure prone science research (Except Tatas) . Indian governments must get some credit for doing that, even if they did not have a clue as to what they were doing and how. The kept the DRDO and Public Sector enterprises alive despite a continues series of dismal failures and small advancements.

No businessman (Vysya) will sink money into an enterprise which will swallow money and give no returns in a reasonable time. All research is like that. It swallows money and gives no returns in reasonable, predictable time. And all sensible businessmen will dislike such investment. So the little money that has been sunk into research comes from the government and goes into government enterprises. But if you look back at names like Wright, Sikorsky, Douglas etc - it is all about private individuals sinking private money into failure prone research and eventually hitting the jackpot.

Where are the Indian private investors in risky science and tech research? Rich private businessmen funded Gandhi and supported Nehru before independence. What did they do for science research in the 50s, 60s and 70s? The government and businesses were being run by people who behaved like the stereotypical brahmins and banias who would not waste time and money on the shudra who could not deliver goods for a given price at a given time.

Unfortunately science and technology are not trade-able commodities that appear for a given price at a given time. But the west had learned that lesson 100 years before Indians even became aware. And Indians still don't seem to get it. We still behave like a feudal (kshatriya-brahmin) nation with rich traders/businessmen (vysyas) who flatly say they do not understand the problems of science research and ask how it is being done in the west. And like businessmen we find value for money in buying ready-made from the west and asking about how stupid our own shudra engineers in our factories are. But we do not want to fund research. We do not want to fund failure. We want delivery on time. These are excellent vysya business traits. But they are no good for science and tech leading to tech leadership. It is the shudra work that we need to foster and develop, expecting failures as we go along.
------------------------------------------------

As a think tank BRF owes it to the nation to provide with a vision on these defence industrial needs.

Perhaps a 15-20 chapter hardbound book can be made, not many but just 20 copies and through connections like Dr. Niran and others these books can be presented to PM, DM, Scientific Advisor, Amit Shah, General Shri V.K. Singh.

I was going to copy and email these posts to available BJP addresses but then thought it would be better to produce it in a hardbound book form (not a published book) and present them to the decision makers or their contacts.

Maybe these BRFites can take lead: Sarvashri Shiv, Jagan, Singha, Karan M, Ramana, Kartik, John, Rohitvats, Vivek Ahuja etc.

Maybe the book can be made from existing posts in Tejas, Arjun and naval threads or maybe fresh chapters written, I don't know just an idea.
Last edited by Manish_Sharma on 23 May 2014 09:43, edited 1 time in total.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Dhananjay: the link you posted is not bringing up shiv ji's post. Could you please correct it?
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Thanks for pointing out Matrimc ji, its corrected now. Apologies.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Too many threads open to discuss NM, Elections & Results. Now that we have NM as the PM, can't we lock the election related threads, the dynasty related thread etc.? I feel too many open threads would diffuse the focus.