BR Forum Feedback

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Re: BR Forum Feedback

Post by Rakesh »

The moderators will reply to your queries soon. Thank you for your patience.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

AP, I can't really add much to this topic without wading into controversy or divulging personal details.

suffice to say, BRF is always open for anyone who wants to come back (barring banned trolls) and there have been *many* ghar wapsis over the years, some initiated by the mods/staff; some by the members themselves. thing is, sometimes people do drift away, interests change and so on with commitments in real life.
one thing is certain though, we are all well wishers of India & Indians (esp. the services) and this corner of the interwebs will remain a haunt for such like minded people.

I will say this though, I have being reading BRF for 18 years, been a member here for 13 years, been a mod for 10; the quality of discourse in BRF's mil threads nowadays (which IMHO is our heart & soul) is one of the best ever. that, along with Suraj's econ threads give BRF a quality rarely matched in any online discourse on Indian interests.
souravB
BRFite

Post by souravB »

Mods can we have a thread where each week or biweekly Members can vote on their opinion for a different topic without the fear of being judged or attracting any controversy. We will be able to get a feel of the pulse of Resident as well as non residents and can also have some statistics for our convenience. I am willing to create and maintain it.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

I haven't seen NRao post for some time now. I hope all is well with him and his family.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Mod's is there any way of downloading some of the threads completely, say algorithmically to word etc? I am looking to download the Tejas forums history
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Mort Walker wrote:I haven't seen NRao post for some time now. I hope all is well with him and his family.
Same with brar_w.
Really miss his long and informed posts. Always reminded how little we know :lol:
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

Mods:

Please deactivate my account. It was a pleasure being part of BRF. I may return someday. Wish everyone the best. Thank you.
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

arshyam wrote:^^ Agreed. I felt bad when shiv saar also left. Add rohitvats, Akshay Kapoor, deejay (maybe lurking?), hnair, vina. RB saar too seems invisible of late. I am sure I have missed a few more people.
&
ArjunPandit wrote:
Mort Walker wrote:Has brar_w left the forum? I haven't seen a post from him in some time.
Would be sad if true rv, shiv and brar all legends we've lost in one year
Woh having hounded many stalwarts out of BRF to help implode BRF, shiv has quit himself when mirror shown to him :rotfl:

Pitiful to see the fizzle of BR Missile section & space. No worthy is capable to even update it by compiling from what is out there in public space, much less do some analytical insight. And BR claims to be a wannabe military / strategic site! Why don't some main site admins who havnt added any content in years show some passion & labor of love, or else simply dismount from their webmaster /Admin title gaddi (cushioned seats)? In any case the missile section & space section is an eyesore and should be removed & retired.

Sorry couldn't resist being retorical. But it is in sad state.
Shwetank
BRFite

Post by Shwetank »

Mods, was wondering if could revive History and Archaeology thread from GDF into Strategic Issues sub-forum. I think it was pretty focused on facts and could be kept that way without going into politics; besides there is already an out-of-india thread which sometimes catches more general history and archaeology news and is more political for sure.
souravB
BRFite

Post by souravB »

Is anyone else having trouble in Youtube videos having server error 500?
Chinmay
BRFite

Post by Chinmay »

souravB wrote:Is anyone else having trouble in Youtube videos having server error 500?
Yeah YouTube was down earlier, so all links posted gave an error
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Rahul M wrote:Sbajwa ji and others who wanted the 1 month ban lifted on falijee(which isn't going to happen), please read this viewtopic.php?p=2302953#p2302953

any comments should go to the feedback thread.
Shouldn't the Indo-US thread strictly be about exactly that? All this discussion about US elections that have nothing to do with India, shouldn't they be confined to Ünderstanding" thread?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

I think there needs to be an official BRF slam against these twerps, spread through social media. Both the French government and the respective "news media" who did this should be asked to correct, apologize and fire those involved.
chetak wrote:
rsingh wrote:Watched WWI commemoration ceremony in Paris of French TV TF1. At one time they showed Sikh solders sitting next to field kitchen. Commentators mentioned that "fighters from various colonies were pressed for war but they were doing non-combat secondary jobs like manning kitchen or guarding arms depots etc. Ignorant lot French are. Good that PM was not there. Our VP was herded to bus. WTF
There was a commemoration ceremony today in bangalore too.
Basic point: To serve as kitchen staff or arms depot guard in a massive war zone is honorable. To be a racist dipsh1t is not.
You have the history resources, facts and figures. You can nail their asses to their white cross.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

UlanBatori wrote:I think there needs to be an official BRF slam against these twerps, spread through social media. Both the French government and the respective "news media" who did this should be asked to correct, apologize and fire those involved.
chetak wrote:
There was a commemoration ceremony today in bangalore too.
Basic point: To serve as kitchen staff or arms depot guard in a massive war zone is honorable. To be a racist dipsh1t is not.
You have the history resources, facts and figures. You can nail their asses to their white cross.
these guys are most racist in their outlook and they don't care who knows it.

cheese eating surrender monkeys is an apt description for them.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Thx chetakji. No need to miss the opportunity to call them out. I think they can be taken down a peg or two. To preach to the choir: the role of Gurkhas in the trench warfare in France is very well documented. So is the role of Sikhs. And countless other Indians in the worst of the fighting. Far from holding the rear areas, "colonial" forces were thrust into battle first in the trench warfare with terrible casualties.
Flanders plain, Verdun, etc etc etc.

To make a gratuitous statement like that in today's environment, is unforgiveable and we need to make sure it is unforgettable. For them. A twitter campaign needs to draw attention to the contrast between their statements, and the documented truth. Then we can start the comments under the tweets...
Mollick.R
BRFite

Post by Mollick.R »

Dear Mods,
I feel like we should have created an exclusive thread for posting/tracking all the defense procurement (for all 3 branches of armed forces and coast guard, other CAPF etc) done by NAMO govt from 26 May 2014 till date.

Just like achievement tracking thread the proposed thread should be no discussion (or negligible discussion) thread.
The objective should be to exclusively and exhaustively track all the arms and supporting gear

1. Cleared (at the levels of CCS/CCEA meetings)
2. Final LOI Placed
3. JV Formed
4. In principal decision taken (matter yet to be taken up by CCS)
5. Physical delivery started.

Before 2019 LS election this thread will also work as repository of information about what NAMO govt did for betterment of our war fighting capability and could be referred & thrown on face to the haters/naysayers in social media arguments.

At present to track this information we have to browse several threads and information is difficult to filter in between discussions/ noise.

Please think about it........................
K_Rohit
BRFite

Re: China Military Watch - Sept' 2016

Post by K_Rohit »

SSridhar wrote:There is no encouragement to arguing over Admin decisions. Period.
this is why why people like me are leaving BRF. This is supposed to be a forum for information. And when genuine information is blocked but random arguments are encouraged, viewership will reduce. too bad for BRF....
K_Rohit
BRFite

Post by K_Rohit »

hnair wrote:Kengsley
- this is not a democracy where arguments like "every other navy's launch is posted here, so I have my rights" flies. It is a bit of joke to whinge about rights and privileges for chinese PR in this forum for Indian National security
- stop posting every damn launch or fit out here. We will go once a while to wikipedia and find out what is the count. So post some program that is new or dont.

And stop pretending to be some kind of "wounded enthusiast" et al. Even if you are, the nuance is lost on us, because of the style and content of your posts
When wikipedia becomes the better place for information than BRF, we know this is an issue....
gaurav.p
BRFite

Post by gaurav.p »

I am with Kengsley, Khalsa and K_Rohit ji as well. PLAN ships being inducted in service is not propaganda.

We despise the 17Blunder but it has won export contracts. PLAN 052D construction is at huge immense rate. They aren't faking the induction. They may be incapable/conceeding some FOC standards is different aspect.

Ps - admin pls delete this post, post cleanup of the thread.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

I am with the Admins on this, It is the no argument with the admins rule that has kept the forum clean.
This is why people like me continue to stay in this forum, when i started i was member on multiple forums but now only BRF
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

gaurav.p wrote:I am with Kengsley, Khalsa and K_Rohit ji as well. PLAN ships being inducted in service is not propaganda.

We despise the 17Blunder but it has won export contracts. PLAN 052D construction is at huge immense rate. They aren't faking the induction. They may be incapable/conceeding some FOC standards is different aspect.

It becomes propaganda when it goes beyond facts/news to spamming the forum with high resolution publicity photos of choreographed induction ceremonies.

In case you missed the pics, there was one photo of the actual ship, accompanied by multiple others showing the carefully choreographed (and packaged for publicity) ceremonial events.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

K_Rohit wrote:
SSridhar wrote:There is no encouragement to arguing over Admin decisions. Period.
this is why why people like me are leaving BRF. This is supposed to be a forum for information. And when genuine information is blocked but random arguments are encouraged, viewership will reduce. too bad for BRF....
If people like you are leaving because admins asked a chinese poster to behave, than BRF was probably not the place you will be happy.
K_Rohit wrote:When wikipedia becomes the better place for information than BRF, we know this is an issue....
This usage of "we". Who exactly are this "we" that you use a bit around here? Who is this bunch of people who deputed you to defend a chinese propaganda poster and warn us about issues we are apparently having?
souravB
BRFite

Post by souravB »

Kakarat wrote:I am with the Admins on this, It is the no argument with the admins rule that has kept the forum clean.
This is why people like me continue to stay in this forum, when i started i was member on multiple forums but now only BRF
+1
even Chola ji was warned and post deleted for violation. It is not the mods problem if a poster tries to find his freedom of expression in this forum which he is unable to find in his daily life.
posting propaganda pieces has a big problem, one cannot draw a line afterwards. Where is the line? a Chinese transformer? or a Chinese PLAN Enterprise?
from an avid reader and occasional poster of the thread, Propaganda is not welcome but propaganda with some Měilì de xiǎojiě is always welcome. :mrgreen:
lastly leaving with some Gǎnjué bùcuò gesture
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

gaurav.p wrote:I am with Kengsley, Khalsa and K_Rohit ji as well. PLAN ships being inducted in service is not propaganda.

First, admit this. You have no idea what the Chinese are faking and what they aren't. At best you can speculate.
Second, export contracts dont mean diddly squat. India got an "export contract" for the Vickers MBT in the 70's. Ask any IA guy of the era what they thought of this world-class design.
Third, this really isn't up for debate. The forum does not exist to further PLA propaganda.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

hnair wrote:
K_Rohit wrote:
If people like you are leaving because admins asked a chinese poster to behave, than BRF was probably not the place you will be happy.
K_Rohit wrote:When wikipedia becomes the better place for information than BRF, we know this is an issue....
This usage of "we". Who exactly are this "we" that you use a bit around here? Who is this bunch of people who deputed you to defend a chinese propaganda poster and warn us about issues we are apparently having?
I'd like to reiterate what HNair is saying.

BRF is not a place for PLA propaganda. Or Pak propaganda.

If you dont get this, its sad but then BRF has managed without you and will continue to do so and I am sure there are other fora which will be enriched by your presence.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Bart S wrote:In case you missed the pics, there was one photo of the actual ship, accompanied by multiple others showing the carefully choreographed (and packaged for publicity) ceremonial events.
Exactly.

Read my post just after Kengsley's post.

Admins can't run a referendum on every action. If some poster doesn't like admin action, tough luck. There can't be an argument, going back and forth on it etc.
gaurav.p
BRFite

Post by gaurav.p »

Karan M wrote: First, admit this. You have no idea what the Chinese are faking and what they aren't. At best you can speculate.
Second, export contracts dont mean diddly squat. India got an "export contract" for the Vickers MBT in the 70's. Ask any IA guy of the era what they thought of this world-class design.
Third, this really isn't up for debate. The forum does not exist to further PLA propaganda.
Karan ji, yes I am new jingo among you experienced bunch. I agree with Bart ji as well that I can't judge the action of admin as I hadn't seen the propaganda material which was deleted earlier. The admin acted in good faith. All your counter points are valid and I agree to it. (thanks for the vickers MBT nugget :))

But I would also bring into notice that if such action of removing propaganda is taken then also please remove the chinese models/fighter pilots from the thread as well. It is neither part of any information nor analysis.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Gaurav, the poster in question has already been requested to stop posting irrelevant pics.

However, the pics of the chinese lady pilots does prove one point the amount of effort the PRC puts into literally (from our perspective) comedic propaganda. No professional military worldwide has its lady service members prancing around in mini-skirts with automatic weapons during its parades. The PRC does. Yet we are supposed to take them as being == to professional forces which have no time for such frivolous, sexist rubbish. Did you know the PRC chooses entire parade groups based on looks? Did you see one serious analysis about how the PRC equipment stacks up against Indian kit or western one, and more importantly tactics? No, the 50-centers, paid progandists who visit BRF know better to engage in such posts. They'd rather only post pics to impress folks. Note the complete absence of response to my posts quoting PRC's abysmal treatment of its citizens and the cowardice of its leadership which tries to censor Winnie the Pooh pics. Isnt it obvious what the reality is.

They are image obsessed, trying to push a fake agenda of invincible progress and all this works with querulous observers or weaker nations who see the umpteen pics and conflate that with automatic PRC victory. The PRC posters are trying to pull that stunt here as well. Don't fall for it.
K_Rohit
BRFite

Post by K_Rohit »

Karan M wrote:
hnair wrote:

I'd like to reiterate what HNair is saying.

BRF is not a place for PLA propaganda. Or Pak propaganda.

If you dont get this, its sad but then BRF has managed without you and will continue to do so and I am sure there are other fora which will be enriched by your presence.
To both forum moderators- suggest you have a look at my track record. what posts I have done, and therefore my history. I am not a frequent poster on any fora and use BRF to further my knowledge on military matters in general. Mature enough to know what is BS, propoganda or real news. And not to crap my pants because China is commissioning new hardware. I come to this fora in search of information and views. And then decide for myself what is real and whats BS. See my track record and show me where i have advocated anything... just anything....

...and this is supposed to be a "forum"/ you dont agree with a post, then respond to it. Let people say this is not real. is this the forum moderator's job? Why have a "China Military Watch" thread, if you dont want information. Remove the thread....

i have no interest in kengsley or whoever...and frequently get irritated by many posters including forum moderators. But i have always kept my counsel. when this gets in the way of me getting information (real or fabricated), it defeats the purpose and hence my views.

hnair- your tone is abusive and not at all suited for a moderator. I am older than most posters here and have been around (as a lurker), way before you showed up.
Last edited by hnair on 16 Jan 2019 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Warning issued for bringing in old age infirmities into this poster's usual abuse
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Your track record is not the issue here. However, sermonizing is not particularly encouraged especially when 3 moderators have already mentioned the rationale and said, enough please. Let me restate once more.

We thank you for informing us about that you are mature in terms of discerning what is propaganda and what is not and that you wish anything and everything is posted on the thread, while we let the "wisdom of the crowd" so to speak, decide for the content. Unfortunately, we don't agree with you. It is the forum moderators mandate to decide what best serves the interests of the forum and not make it an acrimonious tea shop where everyone is out-shouting the other.

We'd prefer to retain the thread without the blatant propaganda, with a focus (mostly) on serious analysis and that decision remains.

Lastly, questioning moderator decisions and talking down to them (as in your aforementioned post viz HNair) is not acceptable either. By doing so, you have violated the charter under which these discussions take place.

Thanks.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

K_Rohit wrote:i have no interest in kengsley or whoever...and frequently get irritated by many posters including forum moderators. But i have always kept my counsel. when this gets in the way of me getting information (real or fabricated), it defeats the purpose and hence my views.

hnair- your tone is abusive and not at all suited for a moderator. I am older than most posters here and have been around (as a lurker), way before you showed up.
And your tone was not condescending and patronizing towards an admin? It is as if you can target me specifically and say any nonsense, that too in a situation multiple admins are cracking down on a chinese poster.

Per bolded part, looks like you are some kind of martyr who has to suffer the rest of us. That is ok, delusions are part of old age, that you claim you have behind you. However if you persist on this line, I shall take action against you. Right now, a warning
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

K_Rohit wrote:To both forum moderators- suggest you have a look at my track record. what posts I have done, and therefore my history.
You're wrong at the very outset of your response . A poster's track record will NOT serve as a mitigating factor in other moderation actions. Regardless of whether you've been here a day or a decade, a warning or ban earned is earned just the same.

We make it a point to not look at the poster's name while acting on a post; it quite often happens that a poster gets warned and soon after is engaged in a normal conversation elsewhere by the same mod, who doesn't recall the same person had just been warned, just what post had been moderated. May sound unbelievable from an individual perspective, but from mod perspective it is completely normal - there are so many posters and so many action records that one can't keep track of it without reviewing poster history data.

Both regular posters and prior mods have been warned/banned, even a mod has been removed while an active mod, all for being disruptive.

Your age is also entirely irrelevant on this forum. Everyone is just a forum ID with no further meta data for anyone to work with. The corollary to posters' ID being confidential , is that posters themselves are not supposed to use any aspect of their bio data in open discussion. The only exception to this is public personalities posting here in an open capacity. "I'm probably older than you" and similar DYKWIA (do you know who I am ?) arguments are not acceptable forum language.

Your dissent about the actions against another poster has been noted, and it has received a complete response indicating the mod decision on the matter. Now move on.
K_Rohit
BRFite

Post by K_Rohit »

Poof
Last edited by hnair on 17 Jan 2019 14:53, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Kindly avoid wasting admin time. Thank you
Avtar Singh
BRFite

Post by Avtar Singh »

No Thread for George Fernandez?
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Avtar Singh wrote:No Thread for George Fernandez?
This isn't really actionable forum feedback.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

The one disadvantage of the burka forum meeting it's 72 is that most of the time I am not logged in.

That makes me read posts made by Philip the only member on my blocked list.
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

Hi, how can I change my username?
khan
BRFite

Post by khan »

I think it is counter productive to lock the “Indian Forces Strikes Pakistan Terrorist Camps“ for many reasons - but consider just one, would you rather that the same posts go to less strictly moderated forums - many of which are run by Pakistanis?

I understand that moderators have a hard time keeping up, but that is no excuse for abandoning your post at this hour.
salaam
BRFite

Post by salaam »

I can moderate that thread, if my service is acceptable.

I give a very short rope, and will ban for 7 days after one warning.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Moderators did not abandon post. The definition of that would be letting the thread run un-moderated.

Many posters demonstrated that they have no sense of what to post and what not to post, despite SEVERAL reminders. If you want to go post elsewhere and get influenced elsewhere, that's entirely your prerogative.