Mangalyaan: ISRO's Mars Orbiter Mission

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Re: Mangalyaan : ISRO's Mars Orbiter Mission

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 667570.cms

Realigned so that the spacecraft was not overly affected by the eclipse
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ x post
Long Eclipse Avoidance Manoeuvres Performed Successfully on MOM Spacecraft
An orbital manoeuvres was performed on Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) spacecraft to avoid the impending long eclipse duration for the satellite. The duration of the eclipse would have been as long as 8 hours in the coming days. As the satellite battery is designed to handle an eclipse duration of only about 1 Hour 40 minutes, a longer eclipse would have drained the battery beyond the safe limit. The manoeuvres performed on January 17, 2017 brought down the eclipse duration to zero during this long eclipse period.

On the Evening of January 17, all the eight numbers of 22N thrusters were fired for a duration of 431 seconds, achieving a velocity difference of 97.5 m/s. This has resulted in a new orbit for the MOM spacecraft, which completely avoids eclipse up to September 2017. About 20 kg propellant was consumed for this manoeuvres leaving another 13 kg of propellant for its further mission life.

The spacecraft health is normal. The next long eclipse period for MOM is expected in the year 2020.Image
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

^
it does look to the lay viewer, that the apogee of Mangalyaan's new orbit, is lower than the previous orbit. Which is good thing, right?
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

^ More circular and tilted towards Sun. Mangalyan will be in this orbit for a while to come and will provide an excellent referential point on various aspects of its engineering design and components.
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

On the Evening of January 17, all the eight numbers of 22N thrusters were fired for a duration of 431 seconds, achieving a velocity difference of 97.5 m/s. This has resulted in a new orbit for the MOM spacecraft, which completely avoids eclipse up to September 2017. About 20 kg propellant was consumed for this manoeuvres leaving another 13 kg of propellant for its further mission life
Assuming no other orbit maneuvers were performed after Mars orbit insertion, this means that the Mangalyaan's thrusters were fired/activated after a gaps of 2 years 4 months in cold space. That's some reliability for the entire system. Also, I am assuming in this case, the dynamics of this craft would be quite different and more tricky with the antenna and solar panels all deployed (vs the earth orbit raising maneuvers and Mars orbit insertion maneuvers where the craft was not fully 'open').
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

Wouldn't those thrusters be fired every time the spacecraft is about to make an orbit around the planet? For 'correction' purposes?But it is certain that not all of them are ignited so it is still very impressive that they all came "alive" after a long dormancy
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

No everybody keeps its state of rest or motion unless acted upon by an external unopposed force and the only need for thrusters is to correct the attitude. Even when dead MOM will be circling mars for centuries though it will not be able to orient its antenna to transmit data.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Few short comments wrt to comments like "apogee of Mangalyaan's new orbit, is lower than the previous orbit -(Which is good thing, right?) " or "More circular and tilted towards Sun". (What does one really MEAN by "lower" or "tilted towards Sun ?).. I may put some short post later to clear some basic information and geometry.

But practically speaking eclipses are almost unavoidable -- at least one or two every martian year (about 1.9 years) -- unless one spends fuel to reorient the orbit. One can try to make them shorter and less often and that is what one tries to do using what fuel it can use. Lot of thought goes into it and they considered everything to keep this minimum for at least a year at the time of MOI.

First : From <this old issfd> -
The other orbit parameters of Inclination, Right Ascension of Ascending Node and Argument of Perigee were selected after a detailed analysis to meet the following Mission constraints:- maximum eclipse period should be less than 100 min; imaging of Mars full disc from apoapsis region should be possible from Day 1 after MOI; orbit periapsis altitude should be stable at least for one year considering all the perturbative forces. The achievable range of Martian orbit inclination values were found to be from 29 deg to 151 deg in Mars IAU frame of reference, since the declination of the V-infinity of the Mars arrival hyperbola was -29 deg. Seven orbits, two direct, one polar and four retrograde orbits were targeted in the maneuver design and studied with respect to the delta-V cost of achieving the orbit, the sun-orbit geometry after MOI, the eclipse characteristics, orbit stability and imaging opportunities. The star sensor mounting configuration requirement and occult management was also studied for each of the orbits. The retrograde orbit of size 500 x 80000 km, with 151 deg inclination, ascending node of 61 deg and argument of perigee of 206 deg, was found to be the most suitable orbit satisfying all the specified constraints as well as from the viewpoint of star sensor mounting and management of star sensor occults.
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

Hey, it's worth mentioning that today/early tomorrow( Sept 24)) marks 3 years that Mangalyaan/MOM has been in orbit around Mars.And it's original lifespan was about 6 months!
ambati
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ambati »

any new result this year
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

http://www.isro.gov.in/update/25-sep-20 ... ience-data

Data from 2014-2016. The last year's results will then come out next year and so on.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Let me repost my favorite -first snap after coming out of blackout..
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Alt balaji (online content from balaji telefilms) will make a series on mangalyaan. Not that i have very high hopes from them.
http://www.republicworld.com/s/13507/he ... e-based-on
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

https://www.isro.gov.in/pslv-c25-mars-o ... -taken-mcc

Latest pic from Mangalyaan, taken on January 12/2018. Looks really good! Photo is just under the Nov/2017 paragraph, it should be on top of it.
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

https://www.isro.gov.in/pslv-c25-mars-o ... ice-clouds

Another beauty from Mangalyaan/MOM. And these latest pics are from that new orbit MOM found itself in, after the reorientation( because of an eclipse) ISRO did in Jan/2017
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^From a scientist/engineer's point of view, more one reads about details, one gets more and more impressed about the work done by ISRO scientists.
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

We need to start naming features at Mars in Sanskrit now........Mars has become westernized all ready..

I have never before seen a picture with such a clear and bright ice clouds on Mars. I must have spent 100s of hours pouring over Mars pictures from NASA and at google pro but don't remember seeing anything like this before.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

^^^ There are already a few.. for example this is - Ganges Chasma (or River Ganges)
(From: https://phys.org/news/2015-11-witness-early-mars.html
(The above picture is from ESA but if you look through my earlier posts - I remember posting picture of Ganges Chasma from one of the first photos taken by Mangalyaan)
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

Today(Sept 24/2018) is four years of Mangalyaan being in orbit. I hope they mark the event by posting some more photos. It's been many months since the last public ones. What an achievement to be orbiting Mars for 4 years, when the original lifespan was supposed to be 6 months!
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

[youtube]=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIAq9UEPSWU[/youtube]
Such TFTA that it gives me goose bumps, came across as an ad on youtube, ended up watching a 23 min ad for the first time, in the meanwhile a young teammate came and she too got hooked had to watch it again. Didnt mind either
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

^^^^ Thanks AP ji, Can we put this video as a sticky. Extremely good acting by Prakash Belawadi(actually all others too) playing Radhakrishnan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIAq9UEPSWU
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

ArjunPandit wrote:[youtube]=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIAq9UEPSWU[/youtube]
Such TFTA that it gives me goose bumps, came across as an ad on youtube, ended up watching a 23 min ad for the first time, in the meanwhile a young teammate came and she too got hooked had to watch it again. Didnt mind either
You have to put only {youtube]aIAq9UEPSWU [/youtube] the video id for embedding the youtube video

ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

suryag wrote:^^^^ Thanks AP ji, Can we put this video as a sticky. Extremely good acting by Prakash Belawadi(actually all others too) playing Radhakrishnan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIAq9UEPSWU
this video should be made a part of class V curriculum so that girls and boys alike see what SDREs can achieve. I get elated everytime..
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

https://www.isro.gov.in/update/24-sep-2 ... -its-orbit

ISRO statement on the fourth year of Mangalyaan in orbit.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

ArjunPandit wrote:[youtube]=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIAq9UEPSWU[/youtube]
This is a great find, Arjun-ji. Thanks for sharing.

I am sharing it with some groups that are involved in teaching rural kids.
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

If Mangalyaan has enough fuel left then can we make it escape from mars like sling shot and travel towards Jupiter?
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

The delta V to escape Martian orbit is too hogh. Gravity assist cannot be used after capture ! You can accelerate or decelerate using gravity assist but cannot escape once you are captured and are orbiting.
Aarvee
BRFite

Post by Aarvee »

Genuine question.

The video is a great initiative. But I thought even radio signals would take at least 4 minutes or so to reach mars from earth.

I was under the impression that the instructions for burn etc were per-programmed or at least sent much in advance. In the video, it looked like the operator would push a switch and the change happens in MOM. Is that just for fictionalisation?
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

At that time (and placement of Mars relative to earth in 2013) the time for one-way travel of signal was 8 minutes- quoting from memory here. There are some technically incorrect things...one guy talks about escape velocity. The craft did not reach escape velocity (it does not need to). Then he says the craft reached a velocity of 22 km/sec. I think it was about 32 km/sec of which 31 km/sec was from earth's speed of revolution; so the delta is about 1.0 km/sec. Initiative is good, but the drama seemed a bit over-done. The look-alike for Radhakrishnan was really good...it seemed like he played himself. 8)

Added later: The velocity of the craft was about 32 km/sec after it left earth orbit; but it had to slow down as it reached Mars, and that was down to 22 km/sec. (The 8-minute figure- could not confirm it).
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Some of the details were indeed off, but it explains the complicated challenge in a relatively easy to understand way.
Aarvee
BRFite

Post by Aarvee »

True. Very engaging.
Shwetank
BRFite

Post by Shwetank »

Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Now Eight Years... (If you look at my messages/posts I wrote about 8 years ago, that it will not surprise us if the MoM lasts more than 6 months even decades...
Mangalyaan, India's Mars orbiter craft, completes eight years in orbit

--- There are some headlines about "Mission is ending" or "Mangalyaan runs out of fuel" which are not quite accurate.. from what I know (and from my talk with people who ought to know)..
We will know soon and wait for ISRO's announcement - ISRO s working out the details of whether the spacecraft ran out of fuel and battery power, or whether communication was lost because of an automated manoeuver while moving out of a long eclipse changing the direction of the antenna. (I don't think it ran out of 'fuel' - very small fuel is needed -- most likely after coming out of eclipse - in a rollover maneuver it lost a fix - to communicate with earth --- we will know soon)
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Looks like ISRO announced end of mission for this satellite.
Thanks Mangalyaan team!!!
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Many thanks to Mangalyaan team & ISRO for outstanding work. Hopefully they will get a chance to do more with Mangalyaan-2 sat...Launch is still 2+ years away...long time but hopefully will give team time tor realize their goals.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Yes end of the mission .. (that was expected/feared)..I was just amused to see *many* newspapers calling it 'ran out of fuel'. ..In all probability there may still be some fuel (IIRC 2Kg fuel was estimated to be there before the eclipse - per some people), enough to do few more course correcting but without communication control will be lost anyway. Even without fuel the orbit will last for years\)..Practically, speaking fuel means less, if the communication with earth is lost (or batteries ran out and (they can't face sunlight to charge etc)..
May be in a few years we will locate/pick up a radar blip on future mars missions or on powerful radio telescopes from earth...
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Here is the official report:
https://www.isro.gov.in/MOM_NationalMeet_2022SEP.html
It was also discussed that despite being designed for a life-span of six months as a technology demonstrator, the Mars Orbiter Mission has lived for about eight years in the Martian orbit with a gamut of significant scientific results on Mars as well as on the Solar corona, before losing communication with the ground station, as a result of a long eclipse in April 2022. During the national meet, ISRO deliberated that the propellant must have been exhausted, and therefore, the desired attitude pointing could not be achieved for sustained power generation. It was declared that the spacecraft is non-recoverable, and attained its end-of-life. The mission will be ever-regarded as a remarkable technological and scientific feat in the history of planetary exploration.
Rest in peace...!
----
(The reason is the inability of solar panels to be kept in the required attitude for power generation post-eclipse, however whether that was due to fuel depletion is not confirmed - as said, it matters little as if one can't recharge the batteries control is lost. Why I was getting amused at many newspaper headlines was their headlines was "fuel ran out". MOM needs fuel for attitude or orbit correction, does not need it to orbit)
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

What a stellar achievement by ISRO ! Take a bow !!
SSSalvi
BRFite

Post by SSSalvi »

Late as usual.
( Actually I was regularly getting message that this is a scam site and can't be opened ... for last few years. )

It ( MOM ) really was a great achievement and we had one of the most fascinating discussions here.