INS Vikramaditya: News and Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: INS Vikramaditya: News and Discussion

Post by shiv »

chackojoseph wrote:Ok its clearly a hover. May be Russians have some warranty clause which does not allow it to touch down :oops:
Yes. In fact I think the hover was by the port side of the ship and not over the deck - I believe I could see some turbulence of the water below and behind the jet by the side of the ship. The Harrier has a very high exhaust temp (only a little cooler than F-35) and Vikramaditya's deck may not be cleared to take 500 degree C plus temperatures caused by landing Harriers.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

I recon Shiv. Russians are responsible for delivery to Indian port.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

INS Vikramaditya: News and Discussion

Post by Peregrine »

Two “Old” Positionsd of INS Vikramaditya from the Deaf and Dumb Forum. Mods may please delete if improper.

Cheers Image
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

she has reached karwar
member_28334
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28334 »

I thought INS vikramaditya would reach Karwar by mid Jan.
I've read a few articles saying so in the past few days. Is this a reliable source of info??
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

krishnan wrote:she has reached karwar
I must congratulate the Indian Authorities for a quick transit of the Suez Canal as well as the fact that the INS Vikramaditya "Group" has proceeed at a higher speed than I expected. On 22-12-2013 I had expected a Passage of Twenty Days where as the Group ha done it in 15 Days.

Time to Celebrate. :D
rakshit wrote:I thought INS vikramaditya would reach Karwar by mid Jan.
I've read a few articles saying so in the past few days. Is this a reliable source of info??
rakshit Ji :

As the saying goes the Goup has been Burning Bunkers Lustrously!

Cheers Image
Vinod Ji
BRFite

Post by Vinod Ji »

http://www.rediff.com/news/slide-show/s ... 140107.htm
Christopher Sidor
BRFite

Post by Christopher Sidor »

If it is true, then welcome home baby.
member_28334
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28334 »

Just found this Video. Though its in Russian there are quite a few interesting things in it.

Shrinivasan
BRF Oldie

Post by Shrinivasan »

INS Vikramaditya has indeed reached Karwar... this has been confirmed by multiple news outlets including local ones... it was literally God-speed... now for the arduous task of fitting CIWS and Barak 1/8.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

rakshit wrote:Just found this Video. Though its in Russian there are quite a few interesting things in it.

a must watch and worthy of scraping and archival. awesome slowmo footage and sound of the kamovs and migs . they also have clear footage taken from the kamov of what I believe the norweigan cats paw ELINT ship and the P3 orion!!

that kamov slow mo takeoff and sound effect was right out of transformers...mindblowing editing and video work...I was expecting it to transform into StarScream and zap off like a rocket!

our "breaking news" MSM news brigades should ask for a TOT and JV with their russian counterparts to learn these tricks.

the kamov flew around this particular spy ship and did its own photo op
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 4822_n.jpg
vasu raya
BRFite

Post by vasu raya »

They could be using the Daksh type as a handy robot, clearing the runways of debris during the nights or bad weather, towing aircraft which was done by HMT 5911, an 80hp tractor on Viraat, maybe here the robot could be powered with a wankel engine, can be operated internally too

if anything, its AI would get better and better overtime

anyways the internal plumbing looks way complicated and no labeling or color coding is seen on the pipes
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

rakshit wrote:Just found this Video. Though its in Russian there are quite a few interesting things in it.

Nice Indeed , I had posted this earlier.

You can just turn on the Caption for English subtitles.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Can you post a link to the video also? Just as text? KB is blocking the direct video.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Thanks. That was a fun video to watch.
K_Rohit
BRFite

Post by K_Rohit »

At 5:12 to 5:14, we can see some missiles and other armament stored in the magazine (?). Which ones- KH-35s, what are the yellowish air-air missiles?
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Great news that the ship has reached Karwar. from the pics of the carrier,apart from the sponsons on the cut backs on both beams aft,there are spots near the decoy launcher on the stbd. bow and aft of the island where Barak SAMs and gatlings could be fitted.

Shiv,there was a report that limited facilities for operating Sea Harriers were provided on the carrier,due to infrastructure for the 29Ks.So one is sure that the SHs will when needed operate too from the VikA.
venkat_r
BRFite

Post by venkat_r »

Wow! what a video. Hopefully similar videos can be made once it becomes operational in India. Time to rope in some resources for that.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

she reached early to celebrate pongal
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

that big dome back of the NATO cats paw elint ship probably hides some directional EW setup which they do not want to show.

the kamov should have showered them with slurry pumped from the Vik septic tanks and loaded into drop tanks...dump that slop instead of fuel.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

K_Rohit wrote:
At 5:12 to 5:14, we can see some missiles and other armament stored in the magazine (?). Which ones- KH-35s, what are the yellowish air-air missiles?
The red ones are dummy Kh-35 used to simulate load the yellow ones are Dumb Free Fall bomb of 500/1000 kg type.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Singha wrote:that big dome back of the NATO cats paw elint ship probably hides some directional EW setup which they do not want to show.

the kamov should have showered them with slurry pumped from the Vik septic tanks and loaded into drop tanks...dump that slop instead of fuel.
Saar, which section of the video( NATO ELINTs,P3 etc) are they shown ( timestamp)?
K_Rohit
BRFite

Post by K_Rohit »

Austin wrote:
K_Rohit wrote:
The red ones are dummy Kh-35 used to simulate load the yellow ones are Dumb Free Fall bomb of 500/1000 kg type.
The ones on the right at 5:14 are dumb bombs. On the left there are 2 missiles in that same frame
anand_sankar
BRFite

Post by anand_sankar »

This was a band baaja baraat moment! We needed a grand homecoming not sneaking in after dark. The ship is not coming after an operational mission. Really this event deserved the headlines, rather the AAP-BS. Such a good PR moment gone amiss.
The largest floating airfield of Indian Navy, the INS Vikramaditya docked at its home base in Karwar amidst high security and secrecy. The docking was done post sunset and the approach of the vessel was kept hidden till the last minute.
http://www.deccanchronicle.com/140108/n ... kramaditya
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

sum wrote:
Singha wrote:that big dome back of the NATO cats paw elint ship probably hides some directional EW setup which they do not want to show.

Saar, which section of the video( NATO ELINTs,P3 etc) are they shown ( timestamp)?

from 14:39
member_28334
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28334 »

Now that Vicky has arrived and docked at Karwar, won't there be any ceremony?? will they directly start the integration of weapon systems and Mig 29ks??

I believe there should be one. There was 1 in russia when A.K Anthony was there to receive the vicky but i think that handing over ceremony took place in a smaller scale behind the curtains and only a few indian Navy officals have got the chance to witness the event.

So ideally there should be another ceremony in india like the one Liaoning had in china.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

I think that the speed and secrecy in the VikA's flotilla reaching Karwar was to avoid being tailed by unwelcome "marine species",who expected it to reach later.The best way for any firang interloper to suss out the carrier would be to lie in wait outside Karwar,but also not too close to avoid being detected by the expected ASW patrols sanitising the approached before the arrival of the vessel.The IN would've used a ruse to get the carrier safely in port avoiding the tail.
member_28334
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28334 »

As we all know the fact that the French and the US have launched their naval exercise involving their aircraft carriers at Gulf of Oman. And our CBG was also in the seas at almost the same time. I think this isn't a mere coincidence. Probably the IN had the information, hence it accordingly timed its journey.
If that's really wht happened , smart move that IN!!
anand_sankar
BRFite

Post by anand_sankar »

Guys, the VIK came through NATOs ASW swimming pool. I am sure they have operas of her prop noise by now. And she definitely was not on a stealth cruise. NATO need not wait for the Arabian Sea.

As far as Munna goes, the show of force was for them right? And I am sure we had one big shark and two little ones at least playing guard dog to the flotilla. The big shark was leased for this purpose.

Screaming steaming at 30 knots anyone with a half-decent passive array within range would have counted the blades.

For me this is just an antiquated example of GOI behaves. Platforms like the VIK need to be showed off if not for anything, to attract youth to join the services.
member_23455
BRFite

Post by member_23455 »

So, the thread seems to have settled down a bit after the justified excitement. :)
rakshit wrote:Now that Vicky has arrived and docked at Karwar, won't there be any ceremony?? will they directly start the integration of weapon systems and Mig 29ks??

I believe there should be one. There was 1 in russia when A.K Anthony was there to receive the vicky but i think that handing over ceremony took place in a smaller scale behind the curtains and only a few indian Navy officals have got the chance to witness the event.

So ideally there should be another ceremony in india like the one Liaoning had in china.
Do spare a thought for the crew who have just got back from an enforced and lengthened stay in cold dreary Russia - some R&R downtime is good before having to jump through the hoops for the netas and media.

The key CQ phase would be a fantastic time for a media blitz as that's when the real fun really starts and people can be educated about how carrier warfare will never be the same again in the IN context.

Incidentally, the IN photo op and video were really well done and analysts who compared it to the Liaoning "CBG" photo-op have already been on the Internet commenting on the differences between the two learning curves by seeing all the "little things." :wink:
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Any details ?
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

So can the Vikramaditya be considered the most potent non-US CBG out there? I know the full complement of other ships to comprise the CBG is not there yet but after the 11 US super-CBGs would Vik be the most potent overtaking the likes of the French CDG, the Brit carriers and Kuznetsov?
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Yogi_G wrote:So can the Vikramaditya be considered the most potent non-US CBG out there? I know the full complement of other ships to comprise the CBG is not there yet but after the 11 US super-CBGs would Vik be the most potent overtaking the likes of the French CDG, the Brit carriers and Kuznetsov?
CDG by a fair margin. E2C + Rafale M. Larger aircraft complement. Nuclear powered, so probably a higher sustained top speed. Horizon + La Fayette + Rubis.

The Brits don't have a carrier at the moment, but post 2019 it'll be the QE class.
anand_sankar
BRFite

Post by anand_sankar »

The pecking order is firmly like this:

1. US CBGs
2. French CDG
3. INS Vik

The KUZN is in a very sorry state of repair and its air arm is set for renewal. Its not to be counted for the next 5 years.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I am getting a strong liking for the Mig29K. it has a future as the RuN will be using it too. perhaps we should get 50 more of that and use as a combined fleet with our upg Mig29S.

their T:W ratio and high alt performance will be lot better than Jaguar which struggles in the himalayas and whose F125 honeywell engine deal shows no sign of being signed.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

^^^ mig29K looks like a good equivalent for a high end F18
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

Murugan wrote:What are they firing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPeEItcREGE
The Vik Information display systems are in cryllic c.set? Is this the norm, will all sailors be trained in Russian then?